[Mature] A Life Worth Living [Completed]

The Thief and The Witch go in search of things needed to keep on in the world

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: [Mature] A Life Worth Living

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Marcy turned and raised an eyebrow at the pleading in the Witch's voice. "By Cecilia's teat. I know that tone miles off. You've fallen for her, and it's only been what, a week?!" she shouted in accusation as they turned another corner down a series of rapidly shrinking alleyways. "Wha-" Artemis sputtered, his footing faltering as he bounced off a building's corner. "Hey, that is not even remotely fair," he shouted back, but it was clear his heart wasn't in the rebuke.

Then they were on a broad street filtering into a shambling crowd of workers returning from lunch. Artemis slowed his step to fall beside Katarya and flipped her hood up with a quick flick of his fingers. He leaned into her shoulder, as if being supported, "Head down, walk quickly like you're late to an appointment. Don't respond to any shouts. If it's serious, Marcy will run interference," he said, dropping his hand and lightly touching it to her palm before closing his fingers just barely.

They followed the shifting crowds, being pulled several streets off their destination before Marcy's golden hair drifted into a shop. Artemis gently pressed Katarya's arm to guide her to just outside the entrance. He wasn't familiar with the place, but knowing Marcy, it was simply a back door to get through.

"Oh please mister, I just have to get back before my brother, or Papa will take to drink again," Marcy was saying through a convincing expression of fear and concern. The shopkeeper, a younger man with pudgy cheeks, looked completely out of his depth. He motioned towards a door and nodded, mouth slightly agape. Marcy sniffled loudly and hugged the lad before kissing his cheek and running to the back door. The poor lad likely wouldn't forget the distressed angel with golden hair for a long while.

Artemis barely slowed as he started through the shop after Marcy. The vacant-eyed keeper likely didn't even see the Thief and Witch passing. On the far side of the shop, Marcy leaned against a wall, a devilish grin plastered on her face. "Ah, the dupe and the seductress return. Come on now, only another street or two, but we can walk," she said, turning and swaying her hips as she walked away.
Word count: 380
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat allowed herself to be steered off, her mind was fixated on one thing: The Book.

If she could retrieve it, then all was not lost. It may not bring back her shop or her wealth, and she really had no idea how to do pretty much everything that was written in it ... but one day she might, and the thought of it consumed her, along with the knowledge that she should have known it would have been in a container that was designed to survive! After all, she already knew it had been enchanted with magic so that people who opened it would only see an empty box; the Book was hidden from the eyes of people who weren't of magical persuasion!

Despite her fixation at the revelation, she did glance down as Artemis' hand brushed her own. She didn't look at him, but enclosed his hand in hers for a brief second, before letting go, giving him a sly smile before fixing her gaze ahead.

When they got through the shop, Kat managed to bring herself out of the consuming thought of the Book. She looked around at the alley leading back onto the streets. "Where's Ksenia?" She asked, after a moment. "I do hope she's okay!"

She had not really paid any attention to Marcy's words at the time, but now she did give Artemis a quick glance. Had he fallen for her? Was that why he was helping her? And, more importantly ... had she fallen for him?
Last edited by Katarya Frost on October 11th, 2019, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 251

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Making her way down to the alley that led to the Velvet Goose’s back door, Ksenia slipped in the servants’ entrance. Leaning back on the closed door, she gulped a breath down. Crying would only make the swelling worse. She turned to the kitchen and caught the eye of Deb. “Deb, is there anything around for a bruise?”

Deb frowned and pulled her into the light. “What happened to your cheek?”

Ksenia looked down. “Walked into a door.”

“Right.” Deb touched Ksenia’s cheek lightly. When Ksenia winced, Deb’s expression darkened. “Stay here. I’ll be back.” Ksenia turned her face away and listened to the sounds of the bustling kitchen. Servers called orders, platters slid along counters, knives thwacked through vegetables, and dishes clanked.

“Here.” Deb pressed a small vial into Ksenia’s hand. “Drink it. It’ll help with the pain.” Obediently, Ksenia tipped it back and shuddered at its bitter taste. “Vile, but works,” Deb remarked, retrieving the glass container and dropping it into her pocket. “I’ve got some potato peels that should help cool that bruise. Let’s get you upstairs.”

“I’m fine,” Ksenia said quickly. “I’ll take care of myself, you’re busy.”

Deb’s fingers tightened around the cloth holding the peels. “I am busy. With you. Now go back to your room.” Ksenia sighed and headed up the stairs to the second floor. Deb nudged Ksenia’s bedroll open and laid the pillow down. “Keep your head up. Shouldn’t swell too bad that way.”

“I still have-” Ksenia began to protest until she saw Deb’s glare. “Um, thank you Deb.”

“I’ll let the others know when they get in.” Deb pulled the door closed and left Ksenia alone with her throbbing cheek and her tumbling thoughts.
Word count: 301
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

"She'll be fine, Marcy wouldn't have let her run if she couldn't handle herself," Artemis said. Then he started leading the group the last few back alleys and side streets to the Goose. "While she's gone, Mar, you think you could handle helping get the box soon? I know you're busy with the things I've dropped." The Thief sounded both pleading and terribly embarrassed at the mention of missed responsibilities. Marcy just raised an eyebrow and licked her lips before softly offering, "ᴾᵉʳʰᵃᵖˢ ᴵ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵗᶦᵐᵉ."

They continued on from side street to cramped alleyway before Artemis opened an unassuming door. The bustle of a kitchen burst forth, and the Thief stepped inside. He got halfway to the stairs before Deborah pinned him against the wall and hissed, "Where have you been?! She's got a wicked bruise, and I'm sure it's your fault." Artemis tried to squirm away, but he was held solidly against the wall by her body. "I-" he tried to get out, but she simply glared him into quiet. "I'll take care of it," he said finally, patting her on the shoulder. She gave him one last look before ducking back into the bustling kitchen.

He managed to not completely stumble his way up the stairs and knock on the supply room door. "I hope you're in there, I've not got a key," he said, leaning into the iron-banded wood.
Word count: 229
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia had fallen into an uneasy doze when the knock on the door woke her. She groaned softly and rolled off the bedroll to pull herself up. Pulling the door open, she blinked. “Artemis? Did Marcy and Katarya get out okay?” She looked into the darkness of the hall but couldn’t make out anything. “Come in if you want, I guess.”

Artemis, Katarya, and Marcy trooped in through the open door. “Sorry there’s no seats. I usually just sit on the table.” Ksenia frowned and went back to her bedroll, fishing the cloth bundle out of the rumpled covers. She held it back on her still-warm cheek. “I take it I missed something?”
Word count: 115
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat gave the woman a quick short hug, quite out of character, but she felt elated, despite their having to flee from the city guard. "I'm glad you're well." She said, as she passed by. Nyx gave a little chatter too, as if echoing the sentiment.

When they were all in the room, Kat turned to them. "It seems that the fire that consumed my shop and home didn't quite do the whole trick," she explained. "Apparently, there was a survivor; a box ... a very special box. It contains a book of incredible importance to me, something that, if we're all in the business of teaming up now, could be very useful to us." The young witch turned to each of them. "Whatever we embark upon from here on, that book could prove invaluable ... it isn't worth a copper to anyone who doesn't know what it is, but there are things in it that could really help us. If we could get it back ..." She looked at them all. "I will ensure everyone is well compensated."

It was the closest she had ever been to begging, before.
Word count: 187

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Marcy giggled softly and locked eyes with Katarya, "Three," she said, stepping towards the Witch. Artemis put his hand on the woman's chest and stopped her from advancing. "Two, from me alone, and you'll get no more," he growled, a wave of sudden anger in his eyes. Marcy's eyes snapped to the Thief's, glittering with madness. "Promises, promises," she whispered. Artemis turned away from her and nodded to Katarya. "You'll have myself and Marcy at the least. Though, we'll likely want to wait until late in the evening," he said, almost sounding eager.

He looked over to Ksenia, and some of his eagerness left him. "You're welcome to do as you like. I can't promise I can keep you safe," he said, glancing at her bruise before looking at the wall. "We might ask use of your skill with the needle in the time before though. Can't exactly run in with a fisherman's coat."
Word count: 154
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“That-” Ksenia gestured to her cheek, “is not your fault.” She cleared her throat. “It’s… something else, and it’s not something you could’ve prevented.” Sitting back, she fixed him with an intense look.

“You’ll have to tell me what it is you want, and I’ll see if I can make it work.” She studied them for a moment. “I can patch your jacket, maybe take off the pocket or change the collar. Those aren’t your usual clothes, are they?”

Without waiting for his response, Ksenia turned to Katarya. “I can fix your dress to make it fit better, as I said. Give you a shawl, maybe tack on a bit of trim to change it?” Ksenia stared fixedly at Katarya, her eyes roaming about and making a mental checklist; take in shoulder seams, let out a bit at the bust, maybe adjust the lay of the collar?

“Marcy? You’ve got something else to change to, right?” Ksenia murmured, not really looking at the blonde. “Let me get started then.” She turned to Katarya. “I need you to go take your dress off and put it back on inside out.”
Word count: 196
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat smirked at Ksenia. "The last person who asked me to get out of my dress got a smack on the mouth! But for you .. thank you. I appreciate it."

She glanced Artemis and Marcy. "Three? What does that mean?" She demanded, having the feeling she was some kind of liability. "Whatever debt is owed, I assure you both I am more than capable of repaying myself, thank you very much!" She said this, all without the knowledge of the gravity that it came with.

On her shoulder, Nyx chattered, but whatever she was trying to communicate was not coming through, though Kat flicked her eyes to her with a little concern. Whatever it was, it was not in praise.
Word count: 120

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis looked pained as he heard Katarya's demand to settle the debt herself. "Kat, I'm not going to let you accept that. I'm not trying to coddle you," he snapped at her as she started to protest. The Thief raised a finger and said, "Something simple." He raised a second finger. "Something Difficult." He grunted and continued, "Something painful, something costly, something that cannot be bought."
He ticked off the remaining three fingers before placing his hand on her shoulder as if to force her back. "What do you even have right now that you could sacrifice that's worth it to Marcy?" he asked her, trying to convey the depth of her demand. Artemis turned away from Kat and made for the door. "Mar, we're going now, let the seamstress do her work. We need to get dressed." Marcy giggled and purred, "There he is, coming Arty." The two left the room, shutting the door as they went. Their muffled talk could just be heard heading down the hall.
Word count: 169