I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Katarya and Dáire are contracted to retrieve a special item of great value to Aurae, Mistress of The White Hart tavern.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Post by Ksenia »

Measurements, thought Ksenia. Damn them. “I should have what I need from Mr. O’Dell later today...or I guess you can come with me after we’re done here. That would work as well.” She almost wished she had taken Katarya up on the offer of wine. “If Dáire has anything to show Artemis he can stay here, as long as that’s okay with your...boss?” She nodded toward the elf woman, still at the bar.

Katarya nodded and finished her cup. “I’ll ask. Let’s go.” Katarya headed for the bar; Ksenia grabbed Artemis’s vest, tucked it under her arm, and caught up to the witch. “Quimellë Elára, may I leave my guest in Dáire’s care? I will be back shortly.”

The elf woman - Elára - nodded. “Just this once; he’s your guest, for all future visits.”

Once outside, Katarya seemed just as stiff as she’d been at the table. Ksenia stifled a sigh. She had to work with her, and trying to take measurements when she was fairly sure Katarya wouldn’t comply would be horrible. “You speak elvish, right? What was that, that you called the woman back there?”

She waited for Katarya to reply. Clearly elvish was familiar to her, and hopefully the questions would put her at ease. If it meant that Ksenia could gain information about the tavern and its clientele, so much the better.

By the time they’d reached Mr. O’Dell’s, Ksenia had learned several new words, including the word the woman had used for her - peredhel, half-elf - and for Artemis - salquë, other or outsider. “Good morning, Mr. O’Dell,” Ksenia said, entering the shop with Katarya in tow.

“Good afternoon, Ksenia,” replied Mr. O’Dell. He squinted at Katarya. “And Miss-”

“Katarya,” Ksenia interjected. “I believe you’ve met her before, with Mr. Black.” She laid the vest on the counter. “He’s asked me to do some repair work on this, as well, but first, we need Katarya’s measurements.”
Word count: 347
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

As they left the tavern, Kat realised this was the first time the two women had been alone. She felt extraordinarily uncomfortbale, but tried not to show it (although she knew she was walking around as if made of marble!). She was kinda relieved when Ksenia asked her her question.

"'Quimellë' means 'lady', though not in the traditional 'noble' sense ... it's more a recognition of her position among the Elves; she's the second in command of Cáno Aurae ... Cáno roughly translates to 'leader'. It took me a while to get used to their hierarchy, But I think I have it just right. To be honest, I just play it safe and try to make sure I don't offend anyone by being too familiar." She glanced at Ksenia as they walked. "I like your hair ... you seem so different with it up, and showing your ears. Elára said you were welcome to visit any time you chose; do you think you will?" She asked, conversationally.

When they arrived at the shop, Kat gave O'Dell a smile. "Of course; good day to you, Mr. O'Dell."

Kat was not looking forward to the fitting; she had enjoyed them once, when she had had the coin to pick out something that caught her eye ... but this was for a uniform worn by servants of the highborn and noble families; she didn't relish wearing it.

After the pleasantries were exchanged, Kat followed the seamstress into the backroom, a place full of fabrics, half made items of clothing, and the general 'tools of the trade' for a clothier. She turned to Ksenia. "Where and how do you want me?" She asked, then, as ordered, she took off her cloak and took her place on a little step. There she stood awkwardly, as she waited for Ksenia to do her measurements.
Word count: 308

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire had known Kats lover didn’t like him much, but the man seemed almost colder than he had been previously. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw the man was lost deep in his thoughts, following him absent minded to wards his room. The old door clicked loudly as the lock disengaged and he allowed them into his room. The small room had little more space than was necessary. Inwardly he grimaced, the room could end up feeling too small, even with the room being made for elves and Artemis not being and overly large human. He gestured to the paper laden table against the wall that he’d had to abandon earlier. “That’s what Sara collect for me there, I was still looking through it all when I was summoned,” He smiled wryly, “Summoned again that is.”

“I have made copies of the maps relevant to my part,” He lifted one of the duplicated maps, having followed Artemis over to the modest desk, “if we need others done, pet me know and I can quickly replicate more.” He added on as an afterthought.

Collecting his own copies, he set them to the side and leant over the desk, pulling the map of the exterior to the forefront. “This,” He pointed to a servants door on the east side of the building, “Is where we can expect you and Kat to enter, all deliveries come through this door.” He dug around in the draw-er of his desk, pulling out a pen and some coloured ink from within. Snatching up another of the maps he began to draw. “These passages indicate the servant’s routes, no nobles will be caught dead down here – but I’m sure you already know such things and will have thought that the best course to take.” Tracing a thin line of the coloured ink along the paper, he mapped out several routes through the tunnels that did not appear on the city’s copy of the house plans that Sara had included in her stack. “I had a quick glance at the papers you brought while we were downstairs, The door I had scouted yesterday seems to be being left in a similar manner of protection, so don’t think you or I would be wise to leave in the same manner in which we entered.”

Dáire straightened up, he was only used to co-ordinating himself so this was going to be a new task, staying in contact with one another and knowing when one or more needed intervention. He looked to the young man, “What would be your strategy? I don’t mean to offend when I say this, but I would as-sume you may have more experience in this particular type of situation than I may.”
Word count: 466
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Katarya commented on her hair. “Thank you, my - what was he? Just an employer or was he becoming a friend? - ah, friend fixed it for me.” Ksenia tried to be vague, figuring discretion was probably what Artemis would have preferred. Let her think Deb had done it. “I don’t know if I’ll be back often, but I would like to study the woodcarvings. They’re quite pretty.”

“Here’s my usual form for measurements, Ksenia. You can use it for Mr. Black’s lady.” Mr. O’Dell handed her a printed list with a diagram off to the side. “I find it’s useful to keep the information on hand.”

Ksenia took the document from him, trying to keep her face neutral. Skimming over it, the list was a clear, concise way to keep all the information organized. “Very good. I’ll have to get a blank from you at some point,” she said. “Please let me know if there’s anything I can improve, in my technique or anything else.”

She slid a measuring tape around her neck. “This should be quick,” she said, moving to Katarya. “Try to stand straight, and I’ll let you know if I need you to move.”

“Mr. O’Dell, what is the design of the livery?” Ksenia asked, trying to figure out where to start. ”A dress or separates?”

“Separates. The tops are quite fitted, with supportive boning. The sleeves come just past the elbows, and the necklines come down rather low. The skirts are designed to be tied up at knee level or just below, and there’s a sash that ties around the waist.” Mr. O’Dell looked slightly disgusted. “Lord Dirge’s tastes run to the salacious, I’m afraid.”

Ksenia tried to ignore the growing look of horror on Katarya’s face. “Unfortunate, but it’s what we’ll have to do.” She reached around Katarya’s back and held the tape around her chest, just under her armpits and above her bustline. “Keep your arms down for now.”

After taking and recording thirty different measurements, moving Katarya’s arms up, out, bent, down, Mr. O’Dell approved the lists. “We can begin today. I have a form in the back that we can pad appropriately.” He set the list down. Katarya looked slightly frazzled. Ksenia felt almost sorry for her, except she’d been the one holding, stretching, stooping, and having to be very close to someone else.

“Well...I’m done. I do need to stay here for my training and to get started on your outfit. You’ll be able to get back to the tavern all right?” Katarya nodded and headed out after a quiet goodbye. Ksenia stretched. "I need to switch for a moment. That livery is..." She shook her head, lost for words.

"Anyway, unfortunately, Mr. Black managed to rip that lovely vest you gave him yesterday. I noticed you had added some...improvements to the usual structure of such garments." Ksenia unrolled the vest and tapped the metal plates which were now exposed.

Mr. O'Dell gave her a wry smile. "As I believe I said, Mr. Black and I have known each other for years. He does tend to get stabbed more than my regular customers." Ksenia chuckled and returned Mr. O'Dell's smile.

"Duly noted, and you can handle his livery. I shudder to think what the gentlemen's version is!" Ksenia tucked the plates back into the fabric. "Now what's the best way to fix this?"

"I would start from here and work a patch..." Mr. O'Dell began to describe his method and Ksenia listened carefully, trying to absorb every word.
Last edited by Ksenia on October 21st, 2019, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 614
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis' body was stiff, and a little cold as the women left. He knew he'd need to sort things out with Katarya before he lost his mind to anxious wanderings. He followed Dáire up to a surprisingly large amount of prepared information shoved into an area he could only describe as cozy. When the elf started explaining everything, Artemis felt his worries and concerns slip away. Planning was something he excelled at, and he felt the nervous excitement in his chest.

He found he couldn’t quite see around the man. So, ignoring propriety, he tucked himself somewhat up under the elf, sitting on the floor close to the table. From there, he followed Dáire's hands and words as he motioned over the map. The elf described the likely entrances, exits, and other features of the sprawling compound. It was a surprisingly detailed map. Not the sort you'd get at a tax office, but the kind you'd get from someone who needed to know the servant's routes and movements.

"This is extremely impressive. I think with my intel and yours combined, we could have a solid understanding of even the beefed-up patrols," Artemis said, smiling at Dáire with pleased excitement. "Single point of entry makes things more reliable. Though I agree it will likely have very heavy security, so it's a no-go coming back out," Artemis said, becoming lively and animated.

Then he paused as a thought struck him. "I feel like this is coming up constantly, despite going years without issue," he said as a way of introducing the difficulty. "I can't actually read. I get by with recognizing trade script on sight. Despite that, I'm actually a rather talented forger because I can copy so well. So, if there's something on here where the words are important, please let me know."

It felt good to get that out of the way. He'd hate to miss something critical because he'd not had the time or safety to learn. "Once we’ve noted all the relevant info, I'll need to look over these and think about the routes for a couple of hours. Unless you're interested in me curling up on the floor or things get figured out with Kat, I'll likely need a copy to take," he said with a grin as he pointed at the map.

Artemis felt a sudden gnawing cold in his gut at his own mention of Katarya. “I’d uh- I'd like to maybe talk to you about her too. If you’re willing. I don’t know the best way to explain things, except to not involve wine until afterward,” he said, refusing to look up from the map to keep a pretense of composure. “Also, did she say anything about a bracelet? I’m worried the bard might have just kept it,” he added with an intense frown.
Word count: 479
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

The measurements seemed to take forever, and though Kat was uncomfortable with the whole process, she didn't think Ksenia was entirely revelling in the experience too. Having O'Dell around at least broke any real tension that an awkward conversation or silence that might have been.

Katarya had been thinking a lot; she was re-evaluating the seamstress all the time; first she thought the woman was a mousy, timid creature, then she had shown her fire when she had laid into Kat and Artemis at the Goose, and then she showed an excellent sense of pragmatism and invention when she had joined the contract planning ... the half-elf was full of surprises. One thing that Kat was wondering was ... well, when O'Dell popped out of the room for a moment, Kat looked down from her step, her eyes turning to Ksenia as she worked. "You and Artemis make a good team." She said. The after a moment: "Are you in love with him?"

The tone of the question was not a loaded one; there was no jealousy in it, no malice; she was curious. Artemis had an effect on women (and some men), that Katarya genuinely wondered at it.
Word count: 197

Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

At Katarya's unexpected question, Ksenia snorted a laugh. "In love? With Artemis?" She shook her head. "I have no designs on your...boyfriend or whatever he is." Folding the measuring tape and marking a number on her sheet, Ksenia stood up. "I have no desire to seek out a relationship. All I want is to sew, make money, and maybe open a shop." She wrapped the tape around Katarya's upper arm. "He has connections to do that. I need to keep a good working relationship for that to happen." She scribbled the number down.

"Now hold your arm out. Slight bend at the elbow. There." Ksenia held one end of the tape at the top of Katarya's shoulder and guided it over her elbow to her wrist. "Okay," she mumbled, turning back to her sheet and jotting down more numbers. Mr. O'Dell reappeared. "Does this look correct, Mr. O'Dell?"
Word count: 149
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat nodded as O'Dell re-entered. She'd not ask any more personal questions in front of the man.

The witch followed orders, moving as she was told, standing still when instructed. When she was finally allowed to step down. She swung her cloak back on, and gave Ksenia a polite nod. "Thank you for this ... and we managed to not pull each other's hair out! Maybe I'll see you around the Hart; I have a feeling Raen - the bard that was there this afternoon - might want to give you a warm welcome. Be warned! Though I am sure you can handle him!"

Katarya inclined her head to the shopkeep as she left. "Good day to you both, she looked back to Ksenia. And see you in a few days."

And with that, Kat made her way out of the shop and took a slow, leisurely stroll back home.
Word count: 149

Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire was amazed as he watched the thief come to life before him, no longer the solemn, dark and broody man he’d only seen so far. The smile that spread across his face transforming him. Dáire grinned back as they continued to pour over the information before them. Artemis’ slight pause in the flow brought Dáire up short, swiveling his body around he looked at the young man, who kept his focus on the maps before them as he spoke. Dáire was both surprised and yet not at his admittance to the illiteracy, while what he could guess of the man’s background would suggest such a problem, the ease in which he organised life around him, wouldn’t have automatically led Dáire to that assumption.

“I will keep that in mind Salquë, I don’t foresee needing to use anything that would raise that issue however; and I appreciate you entrusting me that information with me.” He smiled warmly at the thief settling back on his bed, back against the far wall and knees pulled up before him. “You can take those with you,” He waved an arm carelessly in the direction of the cluttered desk, “ I have already got copies of my own to make use of should I need to study them further.”

His mind began to drift over the rest of their plan, getting in and out was fairly worked out, The half-ling had the clothing under control, what was left was the bag and the magical elements Kat needed to provide. "I should have the blank bag problem in hand," He informed Artemis, his face going serious for a moment, "I just get to go half-ling hunting this evening." A sardonic smile slipped over Dáire's face as he mentally went over his plan to find Jack in his head. "Do you have any suggestion in regards to the nobles now being on alert, aware and ready for people such as ourselves?"

He felt himself still as Artemis breached the subject he suspected may come up, although in all honesty he didn’t believe the man would ask him of all people. The mention of the wine did make him wince, as he recalled just how drunk and angry Kay had been that night. “She did mention your gift over our meal earlier, Raen may be many things but he’s not a liar. If he told you he’d give it to her, no matter how tempted he may be, he would follow through.” Dáire sighed, looking over at Artemis as he gave the poor map a serious frown. “I don’t know much more than that, she didn’t appear willing to divulge what it had meant to her; it being dropped off in such a manner.”

Fixing his gaze ahead, Dáire tried to keep his voice even as he battled his own emotions over the situation. He’d heard the muffled words out in the corridor, and knew Kat had down played what Raen had told her, he was disappointed and frustrated with Artemis for his actions that night. “I believe she may have been knocked out of sorts a tad though. Raen told her, in not as many words, what went on be-tween you two downstairs last night.” He shot a look at the man, eyes narrowing ever so slightly, “Hot headed, stubborn humans, the pair of you.” He exclaimed on an exasperated breath, flopping down onto his bed fully. “They said you humans were intense, I had no idea just how so, that was until I had the fortune of making friends with a rather complicated one!”
Word count: 615
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

The reading wouldn’t be a trouble, which was reassuring. He could take the maps too, so he’d get to notating them as best he could today and then not have to worry about ruining the originals. It seemed some things were actually working out and he let some of the energy bleed out of him to be replaced with confidence.

When the mention of the bag came up Artemis quirked a brow. “If you need any help, I’ve got a crossbow I took off a less than friendly fellow the other night. Though I imagine you can handle your problems without issue, otherwise you’d have passed a very young elf,” he said giving Dáire a knowing nod.

“For the nobles being alert I don’t imagine it changes much. I can arrange a check in with the company hiring out the guards, under guise of a contractor. See if they’ve gotten a change of orders, but typically the nobles simply believe bad things couldn’t possibly happen to them. Add onto that, the man we’re robbing tends to favor appearance over substance…” Artemis shrugged as his words trailed off. They’d deal with what came up, no sense in pulling their teeth with worry.

He looked back over the map, tracing a route with several sharp turns near a hidden exit. He listened to the elf talk about the bracelet and nodded in acceptance. Knowing the bard was at least reliable despite any other troubles was useful.

When Dáire mentioned Raen and Artemis’ carousing the thief winced. “She thinks I wanted to fuck him,” he said shaking his head. “Kaxitaki's dues, I just wanted to be held, and see a face that didn’t glare daggers or threaten me with magic.”

He looked over at the elf on his bed. “She came to you right after I’m guessing. She has friends, people she can turn to. I’ve got knives, and neighbors that want to gut me. I think she believes the Goose is more like here.” Artemis shook his head sadly. “It’s not, and even if it was, I’m on my own now. Took the jump, closed my tab.”

“I would give all my scrabbling for food, desperately fighting the cold, and not knowing if I’d die of rats in the night for even a glimpse of the things she has. I want her, not just her body or her thoughts, but her warmth. She’s so damn sunny when you get past the cold. Not afraid to do whatever she needs to, but also so naïve.” Artemis started, tapping his finger on the door he’d been examining before.

“Sorry, I’m rambling, you didn’t sign up for that. I think this area here is our best bet,” he said, circling the hidden door with his finger and then moving it along a hallway to a wide open area. “I figure this’ll be where a lot of the action happens. We can go through here, slip out into the hall with none the wiser. If we get caught, just act embarrassed like we slipped away to muss each other up. Hired servants are notorious for that sort of thing and I think I can get a real blush on her well enough.” He smirked, then trailed his finger back through the door and down a different hall.

Artemis grab some papers and shuffled the notes about guard patrols before nodding. “Only one patrol, they do the entire outside loop so big chance we never even see them. After that, this looks like a good way back out. Comes into the greenhouse here, easy to smash through if we have to, avoids most of the guard routes.”

He looked to Dáire and grinned. “We start the fire in the servant hall, maybe get some shouting in before we book it. Nothing like breaking a few things as we leave. We can toss you the goods, you flee to the drop. Then we get out looking like the briar patch we’ll probably need to run through, say there was a fire if we need to avoid being held.”
Word count: 705