Laying the Foundations [Completed]

Ksenia and Artemis work to begin building their future.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: Laying the Foundations

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis stood in the stone passageway for several long minutes after Ksenia's footsteps had faded into the distance. He had to meet with his contacts now, gather some information, and then get to the the Elven Inn. He rummaged through his meager belongings, collecting the necessary tokens, papers, and reducing his carried money to the minimum. As he climbed the stairs to make his way back onto the warehouse roof, he wondered if he'd have any time to rest for a long while.

The Vipers were mean, plentiful, and entirely focused on blackmail, racketeering, and property damage. Their membership seemed to have a uniform of bulging muscle, low quality tattoos, and enough scars to cover three smaller men. All of this lead to Keith's enforcers being very effective at their jobs. Effective enforcers meant more clients. More clients meant having his hands on a great deal of useful information.

When Artemis entered the rundown unnamed tavern he was immediately accosted by three overlarge thugs. None of them actually touched him, but they used their imposing presence to obstruct and herd the thief.

"I'm paid," Artemis said, reaching into his coat with slow exaggerated movements. He pulled out a small snake carving, tied with yellow ribbon. The men immediately backed away, though their expressions remained guarded and their muscles tensed.

Artemis moved his way through the near empty room, making a line straight for the disgusting man at the back of the room. Keith Foreman could be best described as a gutter king. He was a squat, fat, slovenly man, with large jowls and a larger belly. Artemis had never quite understood how he'd managed to build a gang of street thugs without someone simply beating him to death, and yet, a gang he had.

"Foreman," the thief said, stopping several feet from the table and dropping his head in a sign of false deference.

"Ah, Black, come to ask for more favors, or perhaps you're here to finally submit?" the gang boss said in his deep froggy voice.

"Here for what I'm owed. Rotations, rentals, contractors, for the Dirge party" Artemis said, barely keeping a grimace from his face.

"Hah, that peacock. I think to see him down a peg I can get you those. This is your last chit though, Black," Keith said with a throaty wheezing chuckle.

"We'll be done," Artemis replied, nodding sharply.

"Until you've dug yourself into trouble again," Keith replied showing a wide grin with yellowed and rotting teeth. The man looked to one of his table guards, shooing the thug to do his bidding. "Tomorrow morning, the regular collection, don't be late," the gang boss said, dismissing Artemis.

It was always uncomfortable walking this close to the west district without the distance of rooftops to keep him safe. The amount of sticky fingers and easily drawn knives was far higher just out of sight of the merchant's gate guards. He'd chosen this area because he wanted to purchase a gift to dull the intensity of his conversation with Katarya this evening.

So he found himself walking to his third east district trinkets and accessories shop. He wanted a gift, but also didn't want to lose his remaining silver, or worse yet endanger his fledgling plans for the warehouse.

The third shop was much the same as the first two, dark interior made worse by heavy curtains over the windows. Herb candles scattered around the room giving the place a faint smell, likely to dull the senses or encourage calm. There were tables, all covered with ragged cloth, around the edges and down the center of the room. On the cloth sat a wide variety of bracelets, earrings, necklaces, and all other manner of things a poorer merchant's wife might wear to distinguish herself from the common rabble.

One piece in particular had caught Artemis' eye as soon as he entered the shop. It was a delicate looking bracelet with hints of Elven make. Knowing the hustle, the thief had avoided even looking at the piece and instead wandered aimlessly through the shop, touching and shifting other baubles.

The shopkeeper, noticing he wasn't actually collecting anything for purchase finally gave him a stern growl. "You actually going to buy something, or just paw all my goods, sir?" He said, drawing out the end of the question.

"Something for my wife, she's terrible at losing these things, so I'd rather avoid spending more than a half silver," Artemis replied absently over his shoulder while finally picking up the bracelet he'd initially spotted.

"Aye, I can imagine," the shopkeeper replied, a hint of a smile in his voice. Artemis was playing into the man's prime customer. Frustrated husbands who wanted cheap jewels because their wives had to pretend. "That piece there, I can let go for sixty-five, given it's quality," the man said, not even looking at the bracelet.

Artemis frowned, weighing the piece in his palm to keep it out of sight. He was relying on the man not actually seeing the delicate details and realizing he was being fleeced. "Fifty-nine, not a copper more and curse you for beggaring a man," Artemis replied, giving the shopkeeper a smile.

The keeper smiled back, familiar with this song and dance and quite happy to part with his trinkets for far more than he believed they were worth. "Done, and curse you the same for depriving me of my treasures," he told Artemis patting the counter.

Artemis slid the bracelet into his coin pouch and loudly shuffled his coin to get the necessary amount. He dropped a half-silver and a quarter-silver onto the counter. "Could I get three of these as well?" Artemis asked, motioning to a collection of small charms haphazardly scattered around a bracelet display. The shopkeeper grunted and gave him a nod before scooping the money into his till.

"Always a pleasure to get a fair price from a kind man," the shopkeeper said as they shook hands once Artemis had collected his trinkets. He now had an Elven bracelet and three small charms to attach to it, a songbird, a key, and a heart.

Now he just had to make his way to the Elf inn, which shouldn't be terribly far away.

He felt a warmth at his side and turned to hold his bedmate. There was a soft groan, and then a gurgling. He opened his eyes, frightened by the sound. She was there, beside him in the bed. Her head lay on the pillow, cool skin and dark hair. She gurgled again, and blood dribbled from her mouth. He reached to take her face in his hand. Her skin turned to ash at his touch. Wind swirled, and flames began to rise in her eyes. 'Cut me, burned me, killed me,' her voice resounded in his head with deafening loudness.

Artemis snapped awake with a gasp, shooting up and brandishing the knife he kept under his pillow. The stone room was empty, the same as he'd left it, though the scent of blood had faded. As his adrenaline left his body all the aches and pains of his many failures started to throb. "Idols take me for the fool I am," he said into his palms as he scrubbed at his eyes.

His chest felt like it was heavily bruised and his head felt like it was overstuffed with wool. "Stupid elfboy, and his nice features, pretty words, and stupid drink," he groaned as he tried in vain to stretch out his aching muscles. After several minutes he gave up and simply rose from his scratchy mattress. He looked down at himself, dried sweat, crusted blood, and heavy bruises. "I need a bath, and those clothes Ksenia took," he said grunting in annoyance.

He put on his old boots, and started to clomp his way down the Goose's tunnel in his night wear. This wouldn't be the first time. Though perhaps he could aim to make it closer to the last.

When he made it to the kitchens he discovered it was just after dawn. Starving, he handed over several coppers to a cook and waited for a platter. He needed good food to make up for how ragged he'd run himself. After that he'd pay for a cold bath, and then finally get dressed and get to work.

He needed to check in with his contacts, regardless of how he and Kat were doing he'd agreed to a job. 'How do I even meet up with either of them to pass the message though?' he wondered pitifully, realizing there would likely be a lot of fallout from him not being a good little boy at the elf tavern.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 20th, 2019, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 1449
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Deb came back down the stairs after checking on Ksenia. It was just after dawn, and the younger woman had dropped off to sleep a scant few hours ago, though she still tossed and turned. Poor thing, she thought, turning the corner into the kitchen.

Artemis stood out of the way, wearing nothing but his heavy boots and smallclothes. He was smeared with dried, clumpy bloodstains and sported a few blooming bruises. “What happened to you?” Deb asked, going over to him. He looked at her, eyes bloodshot, and smelling of sweat and booze.

“I, uh- I may have gotten into a fight with Kat and said some things. Also, I killed the Red Skulls. I found a crossbow, though. Ksenia has my clothes. I need a bath, but cold. Can’t afford heat,” he mumbled through an obviously dry mouth.

Deb squeezed his shoulders tightly. Turning, she grabbed the platter from the approaching cook and handed it to Artemis. “Finish this. I’ll go draw your bath,” she said, and turned to go upstairs. Deb headed to the bathrooms and turned on the hot water. If anyone cared, she’d make up the difference. Letting the water run, she made sure there were towels and soap, then ducked into Ksenia’s room and picked up the pile of clothes that the woman had said belonged to Artemis. She stopped by her own room to check on Ksenia, who was sleeping fitfully. The tub was just full enough when she got back to the bathroom, and she turned the tap off after letting it run a bit high. She’d go down stairs and fetch Artemis, once he’d finished eating.

Artemis made his way up the servants’ stairs just as she was about to go down. She was about to speak to him when she heard Ksenia’s voice. “Wait,” she told Artemis. Going down to her room, she opened the door. Ksenia fell forward onto her shoulder, arms going aorund Deb’s neck. More bad dreams. Deb put an arm around her back and gently peeled the woman off her so that they could walk. “You’re getting a bath.” She steered Ksenia toward Artemis, and slipped her other arm behind Artemis’s back.

“Where-” Ksenia started to ask, as Deb maneuvered both Ksenia and Artemis into the steamy bathroom. Deb sat Ksenia down on a bench and then half dragged Artemis to one on the next wall. He slumped against the wall.

"Now into the bath with you," Deb said, coming to Ksenia.

"Here? With him?" Ksenia scooted back on the bench. "Deb, I'm not- I've never been naked in front of a man before...at least not willingly…"

"And Artemis doesn't care and he'll be a good boy," Deb responded. She put a hand on Ksenia's shoulder. "Go ahead."

Ksenia rose from the bench stiffly and glanced at Deb. Deb looked back at her steadily. Ksenia swallowed and slid the blue wool dress over her head. Keeping her eyes down and the blue dress clutched to her, she walked hesitantly to the bathtub and climbed in. "Wet your hair. I'm going make you pretty," Deb directed. Ksenia obediently ducked her head under the water, pushing her hair behind her ears.

Artemis let loose a bark of laughter as Deb began to work the soap through Ksenia's hair, humming happily. "Of course you do."

Ksenia turned to look at him. "What?"

Artemis sighed and rubbed his forehead. "I'm going to need to borrow your ears around midday."

Ksenia's face burned red. "Excuse me? My ears? What do you need a half-elf for? Can't you get Kat to ask one of her friends for you if you need someone with pointy ears?"

"No...I can not. which is why I'm here instead of there."

Ksenia huffed. Deb ran her fingers through Ksenia's hair. "Rinse." Ksenia dipped her head. Deb began scrubbing her back with the washcloth. "This should help you relax, lovey."

Ksenia leaned back against the tub as Deb moved on. "I could use that after last night," Ksenia mumbled. Artemis snorted and then groaned, holding his forehead.

Deb finished with Ksenia's arms and reached over her to wash her chest. Ksenia gave a muffled squeak before letting Deb continue. She wasn't terribly comfortable with having anyone touch her chest, but she didn't think Deb would try to antagonize her.

Deb's concept of a bath was meticulously thorough, thought Ksenia, as Deb scrubbed between her toes. She had to suppress the urge to giggle; it tickled, and no one had washed her toes for her since she was a very small child.

"Time to get out," Deb said, standing up and unfolding a towel. Ksenia levered herself out of the tub and Deb wrapped her in the towel. The older woman hugged her tightly. "Go sit and dry your hair. We'll get you put right." She handed Ksenia a second towel for her hair.

"Thank you." Ksenia shuffled over to the open bench. "No one's done that for me since I was tiny." She folded the towel around her hair and pressed the water out.
Last edited by Ksenia on November 8th, 2019, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 858
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Deborah turned her attention’s onto Artemis with a command that brooked no disagreement, “You, bath, now.”

Artemis grunted and slowly levered himself off the wall. He shucked his small clothes and boots with jerky movements before dunking himself into the water. “I only paid for cold,” he said as the warm water seeped into his aching muscles.

“And you deserve what you get,” Deb replied, pushing his head into the water before working soap into his drenched hair. Her fingers gently massaged Artemis’ scalp and he sunk further into the tub with an appreciative mumble. She dunked him roughly again when she was satisfied.

He came up sputtering, “Hey stop-” he started before her hands began to work his shoulders. Her fingers pressed into the muscles, releasing their tension with care. ‘It feels so warm. Not fire, not lust. Sunshine?’ he thought to himself as Deborah worked away at his back.

He realized he was crying when the first shudder made his muscles twitch. “This is what I wanted,” he mumbled as another quiet sob wracked his body. “To be held, given care.” All the emotions he’d shoved down last night were spilling out of him as the blood, sweat, and aches were washed away.

Deb kissed his neck softly and Artemis whimpered at the gentleness of it. “It’s okay Arty. I’m here, you’re safe,” she said softly as she continued to clean him.

He slowly got his emotions back under control, feeling spent but warm. “But you’ll never be a friend,” he said, clasping her hand in his own and turning his head to give her a wan smile.

“No, not a friend, but someone who cares, who wants you to be happy,” Deb replied conceding his point with a nod. "You're finished now, get yourself dried and dressed. Then tell me why you're coming home covered in blood instead of waking up late in your woman's arms," she said, but the command was soft rather than a demand.

Artemis moved more smoothly as he left the tub and dressed himself in the surprisingly comfortable clothes they'd purchased the day prior. "I gambled on something stupid, and Kaxitaki took her price," he said as he slumped onto a bench. "Went to Kat, even had a nice bracelet, and wanted to figure out what we were. I asked her some tough questions expecting answers. She didn't have answers, I was too drunk and worn down to do the smart thing." He shrugged and adjusted his position to lean against the wall again. "I did what I do best, caused a scene, got drunk, and went home. Bloods from the thugs that hung around the warehouse, wasn't feeling particularly friendly."

Artemis started to swing his legs back and forth, working the muscles gently. "After sleeping it off I figure those were questions we're supposed to figure out together, not demand answers about. Though, pretty sure I can't just go back without getting a knife to the chest and boot to the backside," he looked to Ksenia, eyeing her ears with a smirk.

"Figure I can con you ladies into helping me write a sufficient apology letter while I go collect my intel. Then borrow your ears, get the message delivered, and see if I can get in with a grudging pass given the contract," Artemis said, looking at the two women with a hopeful grin.
Word count: 570
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Of the many ways Ksenia thought taking a bath in the same room as a man would go, Artemis’s sobs were unexpected. It sounded like he’d had a hard night too - although his likely wasn’t due to nightmares. Deb cleaned him just as thoroughly as she had Ksenia before sending him to get dressed.

Once he had clothes on, Ksenia moved to sit next to him on the bench, patting his shoulder a bit awkwardly. He recounted his night; no wonder he’d been upset - the whole thing sounded like a right Misaynt-driven orgy. She grimaced at the prospect of having to bear his messages to Katarya; the woman was not one of her favorite people, but seeing as they were working a contract, this was technically business.

“I can help with your letter and the delivery, I guess. It’s business,” Ksenia said shrugging. “But if I need to look elven to get into this tavern, I’ll need help with that.” Short of trying to tug on her ears to make them more pointy, she wasn’t sure what would make her look more like an elf. Her features and coloring reflected her mother pretty strongly; her father’s only influence on her appearance was a darkening of her hair and the ears.

“What do you want me to say in your letter? Other than the usual “sorry, I messed up, let me grovel at your feet” kind of thing,” she said with a wry twist to her mouth, looking at Artemis. “But you know, you might owe me for this.” She felt Artemis stiffen at her side. “Not anything big. I want you to tell me more about the warehouse. I’d like to open a shop someday, and that might be a good way to get there.” She smiled. "And maybe you can teach me some of that bird talk too."
Word count: 320
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt regret when he realized Ksenia was in the room. He'd forgotten her completely as he drowned in his own sorrows. "I can braid your hair in the Elven style I think. I played with one long enough, before things went to the Idols," he said, thankful for her contact, however brief.

"I think we'll stick to business angle mostly. Something along the lines of 'Regrets the disruption due to personal matters', and play up the whole 'doesn't abandon a contract' thing. If I've got nothing else, I've got my stubbornness," he said, scrubbing at his face to clear the last vestiges of tears.

He knew she'd felt his recoil at the mention of debts. He didn't realize how hard that had hit him last night until it was drug into the light today. "I can definitely repay those things, but no promises on you being able to whistle," he said with a smile to show he took no offense. He sang a soft short melody, ending with a fluttering tone. {Friend. Welcome.} "That's basically friend and welcome. They go together as a pair. Alone they're entirely different sounds," he said using his hands to accentuate his point.

Artemis clapped his hands to his trousers and rose from the bench. "I should probably leave you to it. Deb, you know where I keep my inks and paper. Might as well use the good stuff," he said as he started for the remainder of his new clothes. "It'll take me about an hour, to drop this off, get the info, and make my way back. I promise not to get into trouble until then." Artemis held up his hand in an attempt to forestall any utterances of disbelief. He slammed into his boots, tightened the straps, and then he was out the door and away.

The alleyway where his drop rested was filled with trash and a number of scurrying creatures. Artemis slipped down from the rooftop and the vermin scattered. He picked up the package, a rough linen wrapped around sheaves of paper. He glanced at the contents and saw meticulously written notes marked with many small side comments and additions.

As he moved to make his way back up the wall a lanky man slipped out from behind a pile of rotting crates, "You're late Rat," the man said, his voice raspy and faint.

Artemis glared at the man with all his fury. "I'm early, and you don't want to start this. I don't care what your boss told you, I'm still fast enough to cut you balls to nose before you can even blink," he said with a cold even tone.

The man hesitated, his hand freezing halfway to a hidden knife. "That's right, I'm still the Black of the Night and I won't suffer fools," Artemis said with bite to his voice. The Viper thug shivered and raised his hands in surrender. Artemis gave him one last glare and scaled the building.

Artemis made his way to Ksenia's workspace with his fine clothes bundled around the reports he'd gotten. He knocked lightly and leaned against the doorframe. He'd avoided a scuffle, but the stress of it had not helped him keep calm all the way back.

Deborah opened the door for him and looked him over. When she saw no blood or bruises she gave him a smile and hustled him into the room. Artemis laid his bundle onto a closed box. "I'll need some help fixing the vest on these I think Kessy, but I can work on your braid for now," he said as he moved behind the woman who seemed to be putting the finishing touches on a finely crafted letter.

He started work on recreating the braid he'd seen Katarya wearing the night before. The irony wasn't lost on him, but it was the best way he could figure to make Ksenia more likely to get in the door without murderous stares.
Word count: 660
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Artemis whistled a short tune as Ksenia tried to memorize it. Her whistle came somewhat close to the right notes, but the tone was a complete mess. “I’ll have to work on that,” she said thoughtfully. After he left, Deb asked her to go to her room while she got Artemis’s writing supplies. Ksenia cleared off the table and dragged a box over to sit on.

She hadn’t expected Deb to come in with a large box with drawers and set it on the table. “Here’s all his inks, papers, and whatnot. Should have everything you need there.” She tugged another crate over to the table and sat down. “Let’s fix this for him.”

With Deb’s input, she created a letter to the head of the tavern, apologizing for the uproar and explaining the need for his (at least partial) reinstatement as a patron in good standing. Ksenia wrote it in her best handwriting, using a dark green ink that sparkled faintly. She left room for Artemis’s signature, if he wished to sign it. He hadn’t specified one way or the other.

There was a soft knock at the door, and Deb opened it to reveal a still clean Artemis holding a bundle of fabrics. He set them down as he came over, and mentioned the vest. “The one you got yesterday from Mr. O’Dell? Do you mind if I take it with me when I head over there after lunch?” Ksenia said, blowing on the ink and setting the letter aside.

Artemis shrugged and ran his fingers through her hair. “Use the sand, since we’re in a rush,” he said, pointing at a container of fine, powdery sand. Once she’d sprinkled it on the ink, he returned to combing through her tresses. The sensation of someone playing with her hair ran a slight shiver down her back; it was a delicious feeling. Artemis handled her hair skillfully, his hands weaving the braid into place.

“It’s a shame I can’t return the favor for this,” she laughed, trying to keep her head still. “But men usually don’t have long hair, and you certainly don’t.”

She felt a gentle tug on her hair. “This seems good,” he said from behind her.

“Thank you,” she replied. Her ears were much more exposed than usual, but she didn’t feel as vulnerable as she normally would have. Maybe it was knowing her hair looked nicer than she was used to. She reached up to rub her fingers through his short, almost stubbly, hair, but stopped herself before her hand raised above her shoulder. “Well, um, I hope my dress is all right,“ she said, turning away from him. “Oh, and I didn’t know if you wanted to sign your letter yourself, so I left it blank.”

He slid the letter over, then took out a dagger, pricking his thumb and leaving a bloody thumbprint on the paper. Ksenia blinked, glanced at him, and picked up the pen to add his name in trade print next to the mark. “I hope I spelled that correctly,” she muttered to herself.

He chuckled and patted her on the shoulder (she managed not to flinch this time). “Looks right to me.” Ksenia’s face flushed a little.

“We’ll work on that when we’re not planning harebrained schemes,” she said quickly. “Let me see the vest real quick?” She grimaced at the large rent in the center of the vest. “I don’t know if I can make it look new again, but I’ll fix it, and I’ll get Mr. O’Dell’s opinion. He might know a better way to mend it.” She poked one of the metal plates that were now visible. “Clearly, he has more advanced methods than I do.”

She rolled the vest up and handed it to him, then sealed the letter. “Let’s go over to this tavern so I can make your apologies,” she said, with a sideways grin.

Deb hugged her carefully and kissed her on the forehead. “Good luck, lovie.”
Word count: 691
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Making her way down the street, Ksenia was almost skipping. Despite the tension with the meeting at the White Hart, Katarya’s measuring had gone mostly well, and preparations were underway for the servant livery. She even tried out the {friend,welcome} whistle that Artemis had showed her this morning, although it was still lacking something.

Recalling her employer’s advice, Ksenia headed to the West district. She did want to shop a little, but this late in the day meant that nothing would be open. Another day she’d plan an outing of it. The lighthouse towered over the other buildings in the area. As she watched, the light flared to life and began to send its rotating beam over the sea. The sky was darker than she had realized; she needed to hurry.

She wasn’t far from the gate separating the West district from the South when she heard the noise of many boots tramping together. The next cross-street revealed a group of people, armed with cudgels, bats, and whatever instruments appeared to be handy. Several carried torches as they marched on.

Their target appeared to be an old green wooden house. The man at the front of the group approached the front door and knocked, flanked by torch-bearers. “We know you’re there, Hopkins! Come out!” he shouted.

Ksenia tried to stay away from the mass of people but they swept her along as they expanded to fill the street. Shuffling, she tried to work her way to the outside in hopes of escaping. “Come out or we’ll burn you out!” roared the man at the door. Supportive yells and calls from the group made it clear that they had every intention of doing so if they felt it warranted. Ksenia gulped and began to weave through people faster. She was near the edge when she misstepped and stumbled into a large, beefy man.

“Oy!” he shouted at her as she righted herself.

“Sorry!”

“Hey, pointy-ears!” yelled his companion. “Maybe we oughta lock you in there with Hopkins!”

“Them knife ears all stink with magic,” the large man grumbled. He took a step forward. “No decent man should tolerate ‘em bein’ around normal folk.” Ksenia put her hands up, a gesture she’d picked up from watching Artemis.

“I’m leaving, okay? Not going to bother you.” She stepped back slowly, wanting to avoid tripping over anyone or anything else.

“Leaving? Nah, we’re gonna clean up this city. Startin’ with you.” The beefy man pointed his finger at her and his companion took it as a signal. The thinner man bounded forward, and by the gleam in his eye, Ksenia knew she didn’t want to be in grabbing distance. She turned on her heel and ran.

The men’s footsteps echoed behind her as she took turns down different alleys, trying to get through the South gate. She bolted through only to glance behind and see them in hot pursuit.

Turning down another alleyway, she took a sharp left and hid behind a pile of crates next to a door. The men’s footsteps went past her and she heard them yelling directions to each other - which were completely wrong, but they hadn’t realized it yet. She grinned to herself.

Standing up, she managed to hook the edge of her neckline on a bent nail and ripped her dress open to her waist. She tried tucking the ripped edge in, but it wouldn’t stay. She’d have to hold it up all the way to the Goose, assuming she could figure out where she was. Retracing her steps brought her back to a vaguely familiar street; shrugging, she followed it as it took her east. Finally the street crossed a larger road she knew and she could make her way home.

Slipping in the back door, she nodded to some of the staff working, but she didn’t see Deb. Normally she was down in the kitchen during dinner, helping expedite food and running logistics. Maybe she hadn’t come down yet? Ksenia decided to check in Deb’s room before going to her own to change. Mounting the stairs, Ksenia heard a moan. She sighed, but it didn’t sound like Artemis or Katarya - she knew those fairly well. As she reached the top, the moans were obviously coming from Deb’s room. Curious, she tiptoed down the hall.

Deb hadn’t closed the door all the way. Through the crack, Ksenia could see Deb atop a very tall, very naked woman; one of Deb’s hands was down low on the woman’s body where the door blocked Ksenia’s vision, but judging from the way Deb’s arm muscles were flexing, she could guess what her hand was doing. The woman was clearly enjoying herself, and Deb’s face was buried in the crook of her neck, feeding hungrily.

Ksenia stepped back, an ugly gnawing feeling in her stomach. She turned and ran as quietly as she could to her room. Locking the door, she stripped off her dress and threw it across the room, where it hit the wall and fell to the floor. She felt the tell-tale prickle of tears in her eyes and flopped down to sit on her bedroll.

Deb was a Korcai. Of course she needed to eat more than once every week or two; obviously she would have to have other feeding partners. Logically, it made sense, but to Ksenia’s bruised heart, it felt like another betrayal. I liked thinking that someone cared, she thought, even if it was in exchange for blood. The way Deb had bathed her this morning felt like she was considered special, cherished. Clearly, she’d misinterpreted everything; she was no more special than the rats in the alleys.

The tears ran down Ksenia’s face and she angrily wiped them away. There was no use crying at her own stupidity. She jammed one of the dresses on, ignoring that she had no underdress or anything on her arms, and marched downstairs. Wearing a fierce scowl, she filled a plate from the food set aside for servers and got two mugs of tea to take up with her. No one questioned her despite the custom being to only take one mug at a time.

Ksenia ate with a kind of angry determination. She would eat, sew together the muslin, and go to bed. It was absolutely pointless worrying about Deb, or Artemis, or Katarya and Dáire or anyone else. They would do what they wanted. Let them disregard her as they may.

She turned her anger to focus on making painstakingly precise stitches. Her jaw clenched as she wove the needle through the fibers. When her stumpy candle burned out, she moved to the table, finished the last piece, and tossed them on the table before getting into bed. Might as well be up bright and early, she thought. It’s not like anyone was going to care if she left early.

Ksenia got up before the sun. She scowled at her ruined blue wool dress on the floor and pulled her nearly-completed underdress on. She’d have to ignore the lack of a hem. Next was the sleeveless wool dress. Ksenia fished out the torn red dress and looked at it critically; the top was still in decent shape. She cut off the skirt and pulled the top over her dress.

In the kitchen, the few kitchen workers were slow and sleepy. Even Robert seemed to be tired. She swung in and stuck the dirty dishes in the pile before refilling her tea mug. “Is there food?” she asked Robert, sticking her head into the butcher’s room.

“Not yet.”

“Fine.” She took a roll that had been left out overnight and a crust of cheese that had gotten hard. Chewing with grim efficiency, she downed her tea and left, heading toward the South district. Artemis’s fancy braid hadn’t survived the night, and she’d pulled it back low and tight, covering her ears lest there be more people with the same views as her pursuers.

The sun had risen over the sea and made the waters sparkle as she glanced out toward the horizon. Ksenia stopped for a moment to look, then continued on. Mr. O’Dell was raising the curtains in his shop when she turned on to his street.

“Oh, good morning, Ksenia. You’re rather early today,” Mr. O’Dell commented. He raised his eyebrows, inviting an explanation.

“No point in wasting time. Those livery outfits won’t sew themselves,” she replied. She fished her folded muslin out of her pocket. “I finished the muslin last night. Can we start checking it against the dress form?”

Mr. O’Dell took the fabric from her with a slightly quizzical look. “Of course. I must say I commend you on your eagerness.” He walked into the back room and pulled out the form. “You may begin putting your muslins on the form; I am going to get myself a hot drink.” He disappeared. Ksenia assumed that he lived in or around the building the shop was in; he reappeared, mug in hand, soon after. “Now, these wrinkles here indicate that you have too much fabric…”
Word count: 1557
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis was in a better mood than he expected as he made his way along the north district streets. The sun was out, there was only a light wind, and no one had tried to stab him yet today. When he got to O’Dells, The Fine Gentleman’s Attire he chided himself, he wasn’t surprised to hear the sounds of industrious productivity coming from the back. He wandered over and knocked lightly on the door frame, peeking his head in to see Mr. O’Dell and Ksenia working away.

“I’ve come to collect the apprentice for lunch,” he said giving the haberdasher a nod. “Do you want fast, filling, or frumpy?” he asked Ksenia.

“It doesn’t matter. Whatever you like.” Her voice was low and monotone.

Something was terribly wrong, he knew the woman could be icy and closed off at times, but he’d prefer her fire and lightning to this. “Fast it is. Come on then, and we’ll talk, walk, and gawk,” he said to the woman, motioning for her to proceed him out of the back room.

Once they were out onto the street he looked over at Ksenia. “So what’s the bother? You’re not in your regular wear, and you seem like you’ve got a thorn in your side.” He stepped them around a gaggle of people talking in the middle of the road. “If I’d guess, you fought with Frost, got caught on the way home, or found out something you didn’t like the taste of. So, which?” he asked her peering intently at her expression.

“No, Katarya was fine, more or less. I ran into a mob on the way home and ripped my dress getting away from two men who took exception to my ears, but that’s neither here nor there. No, the problem is that I’m just stupid in assuming things about people. It hurts and it’s my stupid fault because I got caught up in a stupid fantasy that someone actually gave a damn.”

Artemis’ face tightened into a frown. “You’ve had a run of it. Which means this is about dearest Deborah.” He looked ahead of them, steering them down a smaller side street. “Let me guess, she was deep in the throes of something with someone you’ve never seen before?” he asked her without looking over.

Ksenia sniffed. “Aren’t you perceptive.” She swallowed and continued, “I should have understood when you said she wasn’t a friend.”

“Ah, but she does care and you shouldn’t be so quick to judge her harshly for her detachments. Imagine you didn’t age. Not just slowly, but not at all. You also work with the needy, the destitute, and the less fortunate. Now imagine you care so deeply for them that each loss mounts in your heart.” He shrugged at Ksenia.

“Eventually you have to step back, keep folks away. Or you do what Deb does. She loves a select few, cares for them like a doting mother or dearest sister. She still has to eat though, and if you heard some rather raucous noises from someone you’d never seen before, and didn’t see again,” he laughed. “She calls it a favor, pleasure for a meal.”

“I said it was stupid,” she muttered looking down. “I know Deb has to eat, and I know that it’s literally impossible for me to be the only one or anything. I just - I came in last night and I wanted to talk, about what I was working on and having to run away, but she wasn’t there, because she was with someone else. I don’t really have many people I can talk to, and Marcy isn’t - isn’t back yet, and well...I knew you had things to do.” She wrapped an arm across herself, holding on to her upper arm.

“I really should learn just...I don’t know, not to rely on other people being there!” she said, voice raising.

“You should learn to trust the fire in yourself certainly, but you should never try to do everything alone. Go to her tonight, force her attention upon you, and you will get the solace you seek,” he said patting her gently on the shoulder. “Because she does care, in her own terrible and frustrating way. And you aren’t alone, merely learning to look to others.”

Ksenia snorted. “Right, and what, let her bite me again? Last time she bit me was because I was having nightmares - or memories, whichever - that got me so hard I couldn’t breathe! I’m sure psycho half-elf is not tasty.” She tried to push back the tears threatening to roll down her face, but one escaped. “And the last Faryv-damned time I was told someone cared in her own way I got ditched at a seedy inn in the South district on the night of my birthday after her boyfriend tried to force himself on me!” She took in a ragged breath. “You know what, just - forget I said anything. It doesn’t matter. I’ll just -” She broke off and turned away. “I don’t think I can do this anymore,” she whispered to herself, holding her arms like she might shatter otherwise.

He moved to be near, but not atop her. He didn’t touch her, but blocked her path. “I’m not expecting to solve all your problems, or even know the half of them, but I’m not going to watch the woman who’s helping me get my dreams fall to pieces just because she’s run into the tougher things of life.” His voice wasn’t harsh or particularly hard, but it did carry weight that didn’t fit his small frame.

“A Black doesn’t forget, we don’t forgive, and we keep our damn promises. I know you didn’t hear it, but I promised to get you what you need. So we’re going to eat now, and then we’re going to go back to work. When that’s done I’m going to go beat the crap out of Deb if I have to, but by Kaxitaki’s collections I’ll get you right enough. Just think of her big, heaving, loving… care for you.” He said, his face breaking into a grin, as he cupped far too far from his own chest for emphasis.

Ksenia sniffled, a small smile on her face. “Right, care. And it’s not her fault, really.” She heaved a breath that only quavered a little. “I mean, it’s not Deb’s fault that the things...in my past, happened, and left me without anyone. Yesterday, that bath...I felt like I was a child again, but one who was taken care of and loved.” She tried a smile, but it failed as another teardrop ran down her face.

“Not really your problem I guess. Not like anyone gets to live their childhood again, is it?” She turned her face away and wiped her tears.

“What do you think I’m doing you foolish woman?” he said to her as he started to march her towards a nearby doorway. The door looked heavily worn, and was slightly warped, which was terribly odd for the North district. When Artemis pushed it open he had to wiggle the wood to get it free of its frame. “Welcome to the Flagon’s Wagon,” he said, making an exaggerated sweeping gesture.

Music spilled forth from the room, a collection of perhaps dwarves playing brass instruments in the corner. There were large heavy tables everywhere, many of them filled with patrons, but no chairs in sight. “The fastest meal you can get with a side of roughness this side of the gates,” Artemis said as he stepped around Ksenia to move up to an open spot at a table.

“You trying to cheer me up?” She gave him a sideways smile. “How did you find this place?”

“One has to know his secrets, Miss Ksenia. After all, there’d be no mystique for the ladies otherwise,” he said returning her smile threefold.

A brawny looking serving boy came up to the table, “What’re you having?” he asked, the clip of his voice betraying a boredom and no-nonsense attitude.

“Two of your meekest ales, and a platter of steamed hams to share. The lady has much work to do, and I’m just a glutton,” Artemis said to the boy who immediately nodded and moved away.

“They specialize in getting food into your gullet and your ass out the door. Very effective strategy wouldn’t you say?” he asked Ksenia as they were left alone.

“Effective at taking your coin, sure. Probably does cut down on fights, though.” She thought for a second. “You know, you can save your mystique for Katarya. I’m not interested in that, just like I told her yesterday.” Ksenia ran her fingernail idly along a crack in the table top. “Apparently she got some idea that I was carrying a torch for you or something.”

“Many women do, it’s a terrible burden to bear,” he said with another easy smile. “Though I’m a bit put off you’re immune to my charms. No way to compete with Deborah for a good hug I guess. I’ll have to sneak into your graces with a no-strings back rub some time. I’m told they’re actually quite pleasant.”

Ksenia’s smile dropped as if its strings had been cut. “Oh, indeed, a terrible burden, I’m sure. So do you inveigle your way into every woman’s ‘graces’ or just the ones who can do something for you?” Her voice had gotten sharper and a bit lower. “By the idols, someone’d think you were the one Inessa Marcant raised, not me.” She jerked her head away to look out the window and turn her anger away; after all, he was buying food.

She sighed deeply. “I’m sorry. That was...uncalled for. I shouldn’t have snapped at you like that.”

Artemis shrugged at the woman. “I don’t think so, though I know I was what you might call a wild youth. And there’s no need to apologize. I’m simply happy to see a bit of fire back in you. You’re a very strong woman, that doesn’t give herself enough of the time of day.”

Ksenia huffed in response. “I think you’re wrong about that, but you’re buying the food, so whatever you say.” The server returned with ales and a platter of steaming food in hand.

“Let’s dig in, and get back to the sticky emotion stuff after work,” Artemis said, picking up his mug for a deep drink.
Word count: 1821
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia trudged down the street. It had been a very productive - but also long - day, and her emotional outburst at lunch didn’t make her feel any more lively. When she came to the point of needing to turn east or west, she paused. Was it better to take the slightly longer, probably safer route, or the shorter route more likely to have cutpurses? She sighed, considered, and turned west. Keeping her head down and her steps quick, she slunk through the streets until she got back to the Goose.

The kitchen was gearing up for the evening meal rush. No Deb, but that wasn’t entirely unusual on slow nights. Ksenia dragged herself upstairs and glanced down the hallway to Deb’s door. Should she really bother Deb when it was all her own fault anyway? Artemis had told her to, but confronting Deb with a problem that was not even really her doing seemed like a waste of time.

Ksenia let out an exasperated sigh, dropped her coat and pocket in her room, and all but stomped down to Deb’s door. She knocked, half hoping Deb would be out. Deb swung the door open. “I - um. Do you have time to talk? I mean, if not, that’s okay…” Ksenia rambled.

Deborah took one look and gripped Ksenia into a near-crushing embrace, nestled into her ample bosom. She stroked the half-elf’s hair gently, running her fingers down slowly and occasionally lightly brushing her ears. After several long moments of calming strokes she whispered, “What’s wrong lovie?”

“I - it’s just so stupid - and it shouldn’t matter but it hurts - and…” Ksenia sniffled, tears starting to roll down her cheeks again. “I wanted to talk to you last night, I got chased coming home and I tore my new dress but I was really happy about the way my work was going and then I came in and -” Aware she was rambling, but not really able to stop, Ksenia swallowed and continued. “I looked for you and you weren’t in the kitchen so I came up and you were - with someone else I’d never seen and it felt like you’d abandoned me!” The last words came out in a sob.

Ksenia scrubbed her tears away with the heels of her hands. “I’m sorry, this is stupid. It’s not even your fault. It’s mine, for misunderstanding. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have bothered you,” she said, sniffling, and turned to leave.

Deborah yanked Ksenia back into her chest again, squeezing her gently. “No, you’re not going anywhere except for a nice dinner, and if I can convince you a bath too. You’re so nice when you’re soft.” She kissed the top of the woman’s head lightly. “And I know it’s difficult, but you can always interrupt. You’re one of my dearest ones lovie.”

“But if you’re - busy, I shouldn’t interrupt…” Ksenia mumbled.

Deborah’s eyes flashed for a moment, a hint of the predator underneath, “I am never too busy for my dearest ones,” she said, before stroking Ksenia’s arm.

“It’d be rude...and you’d be angry...and I don’t want to make you angry,” Ksenia said, looking down to the floor. “I don’t want to make you upset with me. You might leave me then,” she said in a small, quiet voice.

Realizing what she’d said, and how, Ksenia put a hand to her mouth. “I - sorry, I shouldn’t have said that, I didn’t - just ignore what I said, please!” She backed away from Deb. “I - I should just - just go -”

“You are making me angry by not letting me love you,” Deborah said, again snatching Ksenia with her superior speed. She didn’t crush the woman in a hug this time though. She just brushed her hair behind her ear. “Ksenia, I see you’ve had a rough time of things. I’m forever though, as long as you’ll have me.” Deborah pulled the half-elf into a gentle embrace. She did however lightly pat her bottom. “Now let’s get downstairs and put more meat on you. It makes you taste better,” she said, giving the woman’s ear a light nibble.

“I - okay,” Ksenia said, shoulders dropping a bit. “If that’s what you want me to do.” She held herself carefully, arms in front of her torso as though protecting it. Stepping down the stairs lightly, she made her way to the kitchen with Deb following closely behind her.
Word count: 786
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis was in very little mood following the lunch with Ksenia. He knew she was under immense pressure, but he needed her active and working or they were going to miss their deadline and all the favors, dangerous meetups, and skulking would be wasted. Add to that he’d needed to strike a drunkard who bungled into him on the edge of a street brawl, and he was feeling a distinct lack of compassion. When he trudged into the back kitchen entrance for the Velvet Goose her heard a familiar voice.

“You’ll eat it, or I’ll chew it myself and put in your mouth,” Deborah said, her tone carrying more than a little irritation. This was likely not the first threat she’d issued.

Artemis stepped into the kitchen, shuffling around the outside of the room to stay out of the way. On a secondary prep table Ksenia was listlessly prodding at her food and Deborah was giving her exasperated glances. Artemis figured the woman was still out of sorts and hadn’t been entirely reassured by her conversations with the Korcai. He chuckled and moved to grab a mug of tea. He dipped the ladle deep, getting the liquid near the fire and filling the mug. The mug quickly became uncomfortably warm, but not painfully so.

He quietly moved over to behind Ksenia and placed the mug in front of her frowning face. “Hold this, don’t spill,” he said in his best gentle command. His hope was the shock of the heat would distract the woman long enough he could help her at least hold a conversation for a minute. Once she had the mug he added, “You know she’s only playing nice because she like you right? She could easily just do what she threatens and you’d not be able to stop her.”

He moved to snag a staff’s meal and sat on the bench to Ksenia’s open side. “So I’m hoping you’ve enjoyed a terribly productive day, because I haven’t,” he said as he settled in and began to cut up a collection of vegetables and meat.
Word count: 360