Laying the Foundations [Completed]

Ksenia and Artemis work to begin building their future.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Laying the Foundations [Completed]

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis stood outside the door to the storeroom Ksenia was using as her workshop for several minutes. The last time he'd checked in with her had been a tirade of vicious, albeit earned, admonishments and venoms. Just now, she'd laid into him about Katarya for even questioning Deborah's actions. He wasn't sure he wanted the headaches Ksenia brought when the wounds of his empty bed were still so fresh. Finally, he firmed his resolve and rapped lightly on the door.

There was a rustle from inside, followed by a muffled welcome, and Artemis opened the door. He made his way just past the door before turning to close it gently. "Good morning again, skilled associate Ksenia," he offered her, trying to avoid crowding the small room with his being there. "As I mentioned, we have an appointment with the good Mr. O'Dell to discuss several things. Among them, possible training, and finer tools for your craft. After that, I was thinking we could perhaps acquire clothing, or at least materials, from a shop I've often frequented. I'm open to suggestions. Do you have anything you need before we go?" he asked her, keeping himself professional in tone and posture.

He wanted to be certain he didn't offend her, or bring her new relationship with Deborah into focus. He had neither the time nor the patience to discuss various social matters. He could hear a constant soft ticking of a clock in his mind, urging him to secure funds and push his plans forward.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 18th, 2019, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 253
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: Laying the Foundations

Post by Ksenia »

Artemis had come into Ksenia’s room after she’d told him off for acting like Deb was taking advantage of her. She was a little surprised, both that he hadn’t fired back at her and that he had sought her out after. Usually, on the few other occasions she'd told people what she'd thought of their relationships, they'd wanted less than nothing to do with her. If it hadn't been for the fact that the Witch's antics had the potential to hurt her livelihood, Ksenia would have left well enough alone; but a dead, incapacitated, or perpetually absent employer did not bode well for her plan of becoming independent.

The prospect of proper tutelage under Mr. O’Dell - and better tools! - was exciting, but she did have a few other concerns. “I do need to get some...plainer fabrics than what Mr. O’Dell offers. Plain linens, a few prints perhaps. I have some personal projects I want to work on, not the least of which is new clothes.” Ksenia grimaced as another few stitches gave up. “It’s becoming obvious I can’t put that off much longer.”

She paused. “Oh, and here’s your pouch back. I’m afraid I wasn’t able to get it to you yesterday, what with all the interruptions.” She handed it over. “So you mentioned a storefront and a more permanent workspace yesterday, before you had to run off. And something about storing my coin more securely. I would very much like to hear more about that, since I know this room was always intended to be temporary. Is that something we can discuss on the way to Mr. O’Dell’s shop?”

She double-checked the contents of her pocket, making sure that her needles, thread, and snips were all there. Glancing around the room almost wistfully, she said, “it’s been nice to have somewhere to call home, even if it’s only for a little while.” Realizing how maudlin she sounded, she coughed. “Well, if there’s nothing else I need to bring, I guess I’m ready to go.”
Last edited by Ksenia on November 2nd, 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 354
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis nodded as he watched excitement and worry play across Ksenia's features in small twitches and ticks. "We can certainly speak to Miss Turley about getting a line of a good amount of reliable lower cost fabrics," he said as she grimaced at her own clothes. He thought of his own borrowed outfits and moved the item up his mental list.

He took the pouch and stroked it softly before tucking it into his belt. It was a useful gift, and he would need to be sure to thank her fully for it when things weren't so busy.

"We can definitely discuss these things as we make our way, and I think we've got the funds to get working on a more permanent solution soon enough. You're still welcome to take tasks from the Goose in exchange for favors or pay. I imagine Deborah will treat you often as well, she is a rather doting woman when she grows attached," said to her with a knowing smile.

They were halfway across the south district when Artemis felt comfortable chatting. "So, first on your list, the deposit account. I know a bank, does the taxes for the fisherman's guild. A small place, and not overly popular despite some larger clients. I've always imagined it was because they ask a lot of questions and hardly give out accounts. On the other hand, their letters of credit are only given for verified receivers, and so useless to steal. Something that will be valuable for your more expensive purchases," he said to her as he glared at a girl who'd glanced their way from beside a market stall.

"No sense in carrying more than you need to, lest you make fast friends and end up in the gutter," he said to her as he snatched the hand of the young boy on the far side of the same stall. He gave the boys wrist a quick squeeze, dropped a copper in his hand, and let him go. The boy's eyes were wide, and he cradled his hand as he watched them go by. "Even here, in the nicer parts of town, quick fingers are everywhere. If someone bumps into you, shout please," he said over his shoulder as he moved her closer to the middle of the street.

"I can show you the more permanent workspace tonight. I need to pay some fellows a visit first and get things cleaned up a bit. Can't bring company over with rotting stairs after all," he said with a smile at the thought. They would reach the north gate soon, and he offered his arm out to Ksenia. "Take my arm, we'll look like hired staff on a stroll returning to the kitchens or some such," he said to her as a way of explanation.

"If you're not carrying any goods, or obviously on some sort of errand, the guards can be a bit testy. Though never quite the same as they are on the east side," he said to her as they passed with only a quick glance from the gate and a leer from one of the men upon the walls.
Word count: 526
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“Honestly, I’m not used to having anything worth picking on my person,” Ksenia replied. “I’ll try to keep an eye out though.” When Artemis offered his arm, she hesitated, then slipped her hand through the crook of his elbow, maintaining the barest amount of contact. “I’ll admit this is much easier than my last visit to Mr. O’Dell’s. I made the mistake of coming through the East gate and not looking posh. A second guard had to step in to get the first to get off his high horse long enough to let me in.” She frowned briefly at the recollection.

As they passed through the gate, a very familiar looking raven flew down and perched on Artemis’s free shoulder. Nyx warbled and raised her foot, which had a strip of parchment tied to it. Ksenia dropped Artemis’s arm. Turning away from him she sighed. She knew how this would go: Kat would ask him to go somewhere or do something, and he would drop everything and do it. She’d seen it time and time again, with Mam and her lovers. With any luck she could at least get directions to Mr. O’Dell’s shop from here, and maybe the name of the other place he’d mentioned.

"Hey girl, hey Beaky. How are you?" She heard the sound of shuffling parchment. “Damn it. What does this say?” Artemis tapped Ksenia on the shoulder and handed her the strip of parchment.

“Meet me...in North District....by fountain...after noon time. Dress well.” Ksenia read off the parchment, which had gotten a bit smudged in transit. She handed him the strip of parchment back.

Artemis reached into a pocket and found a slightly withered blueberry. He popped it, dipped a fingernail in the juice, and scratched on the parchment. Rolling the parchment back up, he retied it to the bird’s leg and gave her the squished fruit. “Go back, Beaky,” he said, giving the raven a quick scratch on her chest. The bird croaked at him and took off.

“Could I get directions to Mr. O’Dell’s shop before you leave?” Ksenia fished in her pocket for a scrap of parchment or paper. “And what was the name of that shop with the cheaper fabrics?” She hoped that he would stay put long enough to give her those two answers - though she wasn’t holding her breath.
Word count: 409
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis watched Nyx fly off with several graceful flaps. She was a good bird-spirit-thing. Then he turned to Ksenia with a raised eyebrow, "Leave? I'm not going anywhere," he said to her with a hint of confusion. It took him a moment before he connected the line of thought.

"Oh, she wants to meet for lunch. I figure you'll need good food too, given the whole feeding thing, and so we can catch up with her after we've made arrangements with O'Dell. Then hit up the donations place for fabrics," he said, explaining as he started moving towards the haberdashery again.

When they'd reached the shop, he strode in confidently. There were no customers, and he owned the contract now. He wasn't just acting as a handler but as the stakeholder. 'Make it clear, no quibbling, clean-cut like always,' he thought as he approached the counter and nodded to Dash O'Dell.

"Ah, Mr. Black, I've been waiting for you. And this is the fine student you mentioned, welcome Miss-" Mr. O'Dell inquired towards Ksenia. He waited a moment for Ksenia's answer before moving on like a good salesman. "Yes, Ksenia, well, I do appreciate your work," he said with a smile to the woman.

"Mr. O'Dell, I'm here to inform you of a transfer of contract, and also complete the arrangement of necessary tools and training for my associate," Artemis said with a clear and precise tone. Mr. O'Dell blinked for several seconds, then his eyes bounced around as if doing calculations in his head.

"Really, wonderful. I've been wondering about that. Can we begin now, or is there another pressing matter you must attend?" the haberdasher asked with a warm smile.

"We can certainly set up the timing and prices, but we'll need to step out for a lunch appointment, and there's a great deal more to do until this evening. I imagine full training could start tomorrow?" Artemis asked, looking between Ksenia and Mr. O'Dell.

Once the paired had come to an answer, Artemis added, "Also, I'd appreciate dipping into the collection while you discuss matters. I trust my associates, after all."
Word count: 355
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“O-oh.” Ksenia responded. She was really surprised that Artemis wasn’t running off to do Katarya’s bidding. Then she realized she’d likely have to share lunch with her, and probably lose her employer then. She’d just have to make sure he took care of the bill before he ran off.

Reaching Mr. O’Dell’s shop, Ksenia saw a sign she hadn’t noticed the last time - “The Fine Gentleman’s Attire”. Artemis opened the door and walked in, Ksenia following. Mr. O’Dell spoke to Artemis first and then turned to her. She realized he was waiting for her name. “Ksenia, sir.” Blushing at his compliment, she turned her face away slightly.

Artemis mentioned something about a “transfer of contract” and an icy wash of fear contracted her stomach. Was he going to farm her out, get rid of her? It wouldn’t be surprising since he’d received not one but two harrangues from her - as Mam had reminded her, she always messed things up.

“I would be amenable to that. Miss Ksenia?” Mr. O’Dell inquired.

“For lessons? Yes, that’s fine. What should I bring?” Ksenia responded.

Mr. O’Dell smiled. “Not a thing. I will supply you with tools and sundries as required.”

Artemis set off to explore Mr. O’Dell’s ready-made articles. “I could use some embroidery silks. I have something I’d like to make for a friend, and I don’t currently have the colors I need.”

“Which colors were you looking for?” He moved to retrieve the basket from its spot under the cutting counter.

“Three shades of pink, if you have them, mint green, and sky blue.” She remembered Robert listing them off and smiled a bit. He passed the basket to her with the mint green and sky blue hanging over the edge. “I’ll need to pay for these myself, since it’s not for Artemis’s work.”

“I understand.” Mr. O’Dell jotted down a quick list of the silks and stuck it in his pocket. “Let me assist Mr. Black for a moment.”
Word count: 353
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis grew suspicious as he found the third piece of premade gentleman's attire marked with a small tag with a blackbird on it. "Mr. O'Dell is there some sort of sale going around I wasn't informed of?" he asked with a raised brow as the haberdasher approached him.

The man smiled warmly, pulled another article of clothing off the wall, and ushered Artemis towards the fitting room. "Why, in fact, there is, Mr. Black. You could say I've prepared a gift to encourage our growing business partnership," the man said as they passed behind the heavy curtain.

There was measuring, adjusting, and even a few evil-sounding chuckles as Artemis was outfitted in a set of clothing he couldn't imagine even renting. A single piece of his attire could likely fund a replacement to his stock of blades several times over. In the end, Mr. O'Dell showed him all the small pockets and sleeves the clothing held, and there were many, to accommodate blades and implements.

Artemis came out of the fitting room, walking like a newborn deer hit by a lower noble's wardrobe delivery. "I am not a fan of having ducks for feet," he said grumpily as he adjusted to the change in shape his laced shoes had on his leather boots. After several minutes of awkwardly shuffling, he managed a respectable strut around the room.

"I really like the- pleats you called them - that let me crouch and move around. I don't feel like my puppet's strings are wound tight," Artemis said to the haberdasher as he took a quick hop and landed in a solid low crouch.

"Yes, well we do try to accommodate our client's needs, Mr. Black," the man said, showing Artemis a rosewood case. The inside was felt-lined, and there were ornate looking daggers nestled into the fabric. "For your outfit sir, can't have my debt holder going about looking like he can't afford me. People would talk you understand," the haberdasher said with a proud tone.

Artemis carefully extracted the daggers and slid them into the designed pockets in his outfit. Then he turned to Ksenia. "Well, I guess let's head over to the fountain for lunch. We'll swing by the clothier afterward, and get something a little less painfully Northern," he said, opening the door to the store for her.
Word count: 389
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

That was not a restful lunch, thought Ksenia. She’d had the lamb, since Artemis had mentioned it, but all the tension at the table made the food sit like a rock in her stomach. There was clearly trouble between Artemis and Katarya, judging by their tone of voice and posture. Dáire obviously felt uncomfortable; he sat stiffly in his chair and seemed to be holding something back. What was his connection to Katarya, other than the inn where she was staying? Whatever it was, it was more than a casual friendship.

“What do you think?” Artemis asked. “I mean, it’s not the best idea but the pay’s amazing. And I do enjoy a chance to show the stuck-up bastards a taste of their own medicine.” He strolled along, careful to keep to his “northern” style walk. “Besides that, did you see that elf? Dáire? Ixaziel’s bounty! In the flesh, no less.” He winked at Ksenia.

“Oh, I saw. Didn’t know he was your type,” Ksenia replied. She didn’t care for Katarya, but having her employer fall right into an elf’s lap would be almost worse. “As for the ‘plan’, well, I’ve heard better. Can’t deny that sticking it to the nobles would be satisfying, though I wouldn’t be there to see it if you do.” He nodded, acknowledging that she was purely support in this venture.

“Did you need something else, or are we heading back to our gracious debtor?” Artemis asked.

“We can head back. No reason to hang around,” Ksenia replied, heading down the street. “I don’t really like hanging around the North or the West districts much, honestly.” She heard a faint shuffle as Artemis tried to reconcile his usual quiet walk with his much stiffer new shoes. “Oh, remind me - what was the shop’s name?” she asked, trying to sound nonchalant.
Word count: 320
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

“I’m not a terrible fan of them either, but we do what we must, I suppose,” he said to her with a shrug as he managed to find his quiet rhythmic step again. These shoes would either be mastered, or the death of him he’d decided on his tenth stumble. When Ksenia asked him for the name of O’Dell’s shop he draw a blank. He couldn’t recall anyone mentioning a name for the place, but it certainly had to have one.

He felt a minor hitch of irritation at his own failings. “I wouldn’t know, can’t actually read,” he said, offering the seamstress a broad grin. “I always just call it O’Dell’s. He gives me the orders in trade script, the big block letters, and I know enough of those words by sight to make do.” He was actually quite proud of what he’d managed to pick up during his time without formal training. “Noticed I can keep the words in my head, copy them clean with a pen. Just don’t know the letters,” he shrugged the thought off as they approached the shop.
Word count: 195
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“I thought you might not be able to read,” Ksenia murmured. “Between you asking me to read Katarya’s message and asking for all trade script from me, that seemed like a good explanation.” She laced her fingers together as she walked. “I could help you a bit with that. Read for you aloud if you need, maybe teach you your letters, write for you on occasion if it’s easier.” Reading was one of the things she was grateful she’d picked up as a child, even if the adults only encouraged it to keep her quiet and out of the way.

“Mr. O’Dell’s shop is The Fine Gentleman’s Attire, by the way,” she said, sliding an amused look over to him. “I don’t have any flashy skills like fighting or magic, but I’d like to think that what I do have are useful.” She opened the door for him as they entered the shop. Mr. O’Dell was behind the counter, looking at an open book - probably a ledger from the way he appeared to be ticking off items.

“Mr. O’Dell, may I speak with you for a moment when you’re finished?” Ksenia said, raising her voice slightly. The man in question focused on her and gave her a small, professional smile.

“Certainly, Miss...Ksenia.” He finished his work with the book and set it aside on the counter to wait for the ink to dry. “I did mean to inquire, do you have a preference for how I address you?”

“Ksenia is fine. If you prefer to call me Miss Ksenia, that’s fine as well.” Just please do not ask what my family name is, ever, Ksenia thought. “Mr. Black and I were speaking to our...friends...about a possible opportunity. Would you happen to know anything about Lord Josep Dirge’s household servants?”
Word count: 316