I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - Mistress Aurae

Katarya the Human Witch has her first proper chat with the Mistress of The White Hart

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - Mistress Aurae

Post by Katarya Frost »

Ealárea raised a brow as Kat made her request. "Just so I understand, Katarya .. you want to speak to Aurae, and ask if you might borrow some items?" The older Elf had a look of amusement on her face.

The witch felt so small under the senior Elf's gaze, but she knew Ealárea respected strength and personality, so she wasn't about to let her nervousness show. "That's exactly what I'm saying." She declared, boldly. "If myself and Dáire are going to pull this off, then we will need certain things. I could go into the plan if...

The Elf held up her hand. "That won't be necessary, girl. Ealárea shook her head, letting out a short laugh. "On your shoulders, let it rest. I just hope they can take the burden!"

After Ealárea's rather cryptic advice, Kat made her way up the stairs to the largest of the private rooms. This one was for the proprietress of The White Hart, the famous (at least among the Elves of Fellsguard) Mistress Aurae. Kat had only met her briefly, having simply given her assent to Kat taking up residence in the Elf-run tavern. It had then been left to Ealárea to work out the conditions. Kat had gotten the feeling that Aurae didn't fully trust her, and she hoped that by fulfilling this contrast would go some way to mending that.

But it also meant she had to ask for help. She took a deep breath, glanced to Nyx, who was perched on her shoulder, "Wish me luck!" which earned her a small croak, then knocked on the door, all but holding her breath.
Word count: 278

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Aurae
Character
The White Harts Queen Bee
Level
25 / 25 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Paladin and Alchemist

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - Mistress Aurae

Post by Aurae »

Aurae had heard the young witch approach her door and pause before it, the quiet words to the bird making her smile as the young girl bolstered herself enough to knock Aurae's door. She had been sitting behind her desk for what felt like most of the day. Her hands were ink blotched and all her limbs felt stiff but she remained in good spirits today. Cithrel sat to her left, helping to organise the mountain of paper work pertaining to the tavern, and the contracts that Elara doled out on a regular basis.

“You may come in little witch” She said in a business like manner, not lifting her head from the run of numbers she was currently working through. Cithrel sighed beside her when she saw who had entered. Placing her pen down on the parchment Aurae sat up straight in her chair, her hands cupped together on the table in front of her. By the feeling of nervous apprehension, the girl was giving off, she doubted she was going to be thrilled about what the child was about to ask. “Cithrel, would you please go and see how Raen is getting on with his duties please.” The young elf huffed, and made no effort to hide her glare as she walked through Kat on her way to the door. Aurae chuckled to herself and the door snicked shut behind Cithrel. “You should really tell the girl you already have a man. She’s a very jealous child. but could a good ally for you amongst our kind, should that bridge be built.” She gestured for Kat to take the seat before her large desk. Settling herself again she met the witch gaze, a gentle smile still softening her features. “Now, what was it you were hoping to ask me Miss Frost?”
Word count: 304
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat stood aside as Cithrel passed her, the Almá woman had not gotten used to her presence, and being one of the more senior members of The Hart, Katarya did her best not to get under the Elven woman's skin ... something Kat was not particularly good at!

Kat took a seat; she felt nervous around Aurae, of course. But it was a different kind of nervousness; whereas some of the staff were distrustful (or sometimes outright hostile to her), they did so in a manner that let her know what they thought of her. Aurae though ... well she was so composed and lady-like (she held herself like a queen, which is how most of the elves in Fellsguard saw her), that Kat could never guess at what the Cáno really thought about her. She did give her a room, after all!

"I don't think she'd talk to me if I tried!" Katarya responded. "Though I have no idea why she'd be jealous of me! I can't compete with Elven beauty!"

Kat shifted in her chair as she considered her request, she made sure to speak Elvish with as much accuracy to accent as possible. "Thank you for seeing me, Cáno. I know the Hart helps out the poorer Elves who live in the slums; as a healer I had a fair amount of contact with them when they needed a healer who wouldn't try and fleece them for coin. My grandmother, who I understand you knew, was even more involved. She looked up at the beautiful woman before her. "I want to do the same. Not just to integrate myself more into the Hart family, but because I really do care about the people of the slums. Some of the Elves there won't see me, even when they really need help ... I was wondering if you could ...." she struggled to find a word. "I don't know ... 'endorse' me, so that they know I'm there to help. People at the Goose always thought I was a snob, and thought myself better than everyone, but that isn't true. I have great empathy for people who are born into the slums; they have it so hard. I like to be there to offer my skills, and I don't want Elves getting to sick as that I can't help them before it's too late."

Kat near held her breath; it would do much for her if a good word could be put in by the head of the Kelbé.
Word count: 417

Aurae
Character
Level
25 / 25 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aurae »

Aurae gave the Lassëa knowing smile, ah the blissful blindness of youth she thought. The young girls elvish seemed to improve by the day, a smart girl, her accent had begun to fade as well. She listened carefully and intently to the girls proposal. She was both surprised and pleased that the girl thought to try this avenue in order help the elves, but it was yet to be seen how much any of them could trust her. They didn’t remain safe and secure in their circles by allowing anyone in to personal issues, and health was a big things some employers and city dwellers would love to take advantage of.

“That is a very noble thing you speak of doing young Lassë," Aurae sat up a little straighter in her chair," however, you do realise we know so little of you. You and I have only spoken on two other occasions, while I loved your grand-mother dearly and was deeply sadden when she passed, blood does not always run true my dear. Dáire has spoken fondly of you, and earning his trust is no easy feat on a good day, which speaks greatly in your favour for I have known that boy for most of his life. Raen has also expressed his appreciation of you, however I would pose a few questions to you, if I may Lassë?” She made sure her voice was soft, nonthreatening. She would like to trust another in this family line and only time would tell whether she would get her wish.

Aurae quietly shifted the papers she’d been working into another orderly pile to her right. She leant forwards, bracing her elbows on the desks pristine surface. Cunning rich brown eyes locked with tawny ones. “If you could not heal Lassë, tell me, where would your talents focus?” Pausing momentarily she shifted her gaze out the window and towards the sea in the far distance. “And should I decide not to endorse you as healer for the elves in Fellsgard, would you continue to try and earn their trust? How would you go about that?”

Aurae knew she would make the girl more nervous; it was a current on the air, but the answers would tell her a lot about the girl, things she may not even know she was divulging. Looking back to the young witch, she kept her face pleasant and calm as she awaited the response.
Word count: 410
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat pondered the questions carefully. Aurae was being honest; she was still in a position where most didn't trust her, even with the formal title of Lassë ... she knew they way they looked at her, and she wanted to change that. She admired these folk, she had since she had been a little girl. Now she was on the brink of being accepted into their circle ... she found she had never wanted anything so badly.

"I'm not like my grandmother ... not really." She admitted. "Lilian was quite something! She was so kind and caring, and that extended to everyone. I grew up different, in that regard. I'm afraid I've always been a bit ... disdainful, of some folk. Not due to their background or their race, but because of their attitudes and treatment of others. I may not be as gently spoken, nor as motherly as my grandmother ... but I do care about people, especially those who have had the plain misfortune to not have been born into the right circumstance." She sighed. "That is why I want to help the people of the slums, especially. All of the residents have it hard, but due to ridiculous prejudices held by Humans, the Elves there can be victims of bullying from the city guard." Just thinking of it made her jaw set with anger.

"I'm no fighter, Cáno." She admitted. "Were someone to give me a sword, I'd probably end up using it to cut bread with! But I do have other things I can do ... my magic. I know I'm still young and still very, very green when it comes to witchcraft ... but to answer your question: if I could not heal, I would try and protect. I would use whatever skills I have to make sure that vulnerable families, like the poorer elves in the slums, were not harassed. If you ask it of me, then I will spend my time there as a ...'watcher' of sorts. And to deter the guard, or any rabble that might harass the Elves there, then I shall. She looked up to Aurae. It was the best and most she could offer. She had no money, and only skills in healing and light magic; she wouldn't be able to rain down fire or lightning, but there were other ways to make people leave others well alone. She could do it too. Kat nodded, as affirming it. "That's what I would do, Cáno."
Word count: 410

Aurae
Character
Level
25 / 25 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aurae »

Aurae smiled at the young woman before her, there was more of her grandmother in her than she could see. A fiery, fierce heart and an innate desire to do right by those she instinctively sensed worthy of such dedication. “I do not think you could have spoken words with more heart than you just have. You have convinced me to lend you my name; furthering your relations with the elves of Fellsgard. I will sooth their doubts, and encourage them to approach you when you offer your gifts to aid them.” She re-moved a piece of parchment from her desk, the crest of their tavern was printed in one corner of the sheet in a rare silver ink, marking its authenticity as from Aurae's own desk..She retrieved the pen she had discarded earlier, and began to write.

Looking up a few moment later she handed it over to the witch, cautioning her to allow the ink to dry. “Now, I am sure that I do not need to say this to you but I shall. If for any reason, I have reason to doubt your intention, or integrity towards these vulnerable people, I will revoke what we have agreed upon today. Do you understand Lassë?” She said, smiling genuinely at their newest member of the family.
Word count: 218
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat's eyes lit up as Aurae handed her the letter, and a smile reached her lips that might never leave, such was her delight. "Oh, Cáno; you have no idea what this means to me, she said. "And I assure, from the very bottom of my heart, that I will do nothing but make you proud and so that you never will regret giving me this."

She rose from her seat and gave the woman a respectful nod (though she almost felt like she ought to curtsy in front of the ever glamorous Aurae), then left the Elven woman's office.

When the door closed behind her, she held in a laugh of happy triumph, and even rubbed her hands together, full of joy. This was the beginning of her ascension through the White Hart, and she couldn't wait to get started.

With a spring in her step, she made her way off to find Elára; if anyone in the slums needed a healer, the Quimellë would know of it. All the while, holding that precious declaration to her chest.
Word count: 181