Seeking Belia [Completed]

Now Helo had found a place to call his own, it was time to repay a debt.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Rogue

Seeking Belia [Completed]

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo walked the streets of Fellsgard, munching on an apple and generally feeling good; things had been strained between him and Katarya, and the witch had been frostier then usual, if such a thing were possible.

But Helo had a destination in mind and a debt to pay. Belia.

He made his way along the crowded streets, bumping into folks, with a dip of his head in apology as he pushed whatever he could steal into his pockets - Kaxitaki was looking out for him today - when he finally got to the door of the place he had had to free a few nights before. He only hoped Belia could forgive him his time away. He had wanted to lay low and bring no more trouble to her door.

He cleared his throat, and set his shoulders and knocked at the door.
Last edited by Helo Tarran on November 29th, 2019, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 143
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Wizard

Re: Seeking Belia

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

Belia jumped and froze in fear as a solid knock came at her door. She had been preparing her morning tea, relying on the small rituals of the day to keep her from coming apart. She remained still for several seconds and there was no booted thump, no snick of metal or metallic rustle of chainmail. Eyes still wide with concern she moved slowly over to the door and opened it, just a crack, just enough to see out into the world that had refused to give her anything but terror and violence for a momentary kindness.

"Who is-" she halted when she saw who stood there. It was him, the 'mage' the one who had brought the hunters to her door. The hunters who had taken her father and mother away for questioning. She hadn't seen them since, and the one time she'd gone to ask about them at the guard post he'd gotten threats and insinuations that she might be harboring a mage herself.

"What do you want? I don't have anything else for you to ruin," she snapped, pulling the door open fully and trying her best to looking wrathful and angry rather than quavering in terror. 'If this is how I go, then I will go facing my enemy,' she thought, trying desperately to bolster herself.
Word count: 221
Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo had certainly not expected the greeting he had gotten; the cheap flowers he held in his hand were held up with his hands as he adopted an innocent posture.

"What do you mean?" He asked, backing off a little. "I just came to give you something to say thank you. It's not much ..." He held forth the daisies and buttercups. "Has something happened? Can I help?"

Helo wasn't a genius, though he had managed to put together a few things; those 'mage-hunters' that had come for him. They hadn't stopped when he had vanished.
Word count: 95
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Belia’s will faltered when she really looked at the handsome man in front of her. He looked confused, and was holding a cute collection of flowers for her.

“You’re not even a mage, are you?” she asked him as her control started to crumble. “Just a fool who runs when he’s chased.” She took the flowers and smelled them reflexively, moving jerkily away from the door as if controlled by a drunken puppeteer. "Please, come in," she said over her shoulder disjointedly.

“Just like pa’s a fool, for not just letting them search and saying we didn’t know you.” She moved to her tea, sufficiently steeped, and poured it into two cups before twitching and jerking her way to the table. Small dribbles of hot tea spilled over her hands, but she seemed not to notice. She slumped haphazardly into the chair at the kitchen table, placing the cups somewhat roughly onto the worn wooden surface.

“They took them, my parents. Said they were mage collaborators,” she pointed at a wanted poster with a rough charcoal sketch of a man who looked nothing like Helo. “Pa got into one of his foolish rants, wouldn’t back down. They took them away. Now it’s just me, and I-” Belia jerked bodily as her eyes began to well up with tears. “Please, have some tea,” she said with an obvious hitch in her voice as she began to silently cry.
Word count: 244
Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo took a seat, relieved to have been let in, but the guilt he felt at what had happened to gnawed at him.

When she placed the tea in front of him, he gave a nod of thanks, and took a sip. "This is lovely." He said.

"I am no mage. I am a changeling. I look Human, but I'm not. I can change or shift ... whatever you want to call it. I can assume form of other things. So far only a cat, though I am working on ..."

He faltered as he spoke. "I am deeply sorry that my presence in your house caused you so much pain. If there is a thing I can do in this whole world, then name it, and I shall do it." He nodded to her. "I mean it."
Word count: 136
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

“Thank you, it’s a blend I made myself,” Belia replied by rote. She turned to look at him when he explained himself. As he clarified his forms a sad half-smile grew on her features. She remained silent as he spoke, waiting for him to reveal something else she should be afraid of or regret.

“You’re just like a cat. Coming in and causing problems while being so cute,” she said, laughing hollowly and shaking her head as a hiccup interrupted her dark mirth. “What do I want the man asks? What does any woman want? To be safe, cared for, to have a home and pleasant things,” Belia rambled, ticking off items haphazardly on her fingers.

“You certainly offer a lot in kindness to a woman you hardly know. Who’s to say I haven’t called the guard and am simply waiting for them to bash down the door again to slap you in heavy irons?” She forced a wry smile fully onto her face for several moments before she slapped the table and laughed raucously. “A damned stray tomcat comes in to make a mess of my life, then asks me what he can do to make it better!”

She devolved into a mixture of laughs and gasping sobs as she collapsed onto the table. After several long moments of this she sighed and looked at him, her cheek pressed to the table. “Perhaps I will start with making you sit in my lap while I pet you,” she said, an evil grin forming on her lips and sparkling in her bloodshot watery eyes. “You can do that without ruining me any more I assume Helo?”
Word count: 280
Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo took a step back as the woman spoke, a look of reserved confusion on his face.

First she had been angry, then distraught that her family had been taken away, and now she wanted him to 'sit on her lap'.

Trap

His hand went to his knife - it could have never been called a dagger, more use for peeling potatoes than shaking a person -

"If you'll excuse me." He made a dash for the door, pulling it open and running through the streets, trying to put as much distance between himself and Belia's home as he could, headed for the White Hart.

He knew he would not wish it for the first time, but leaving Ajteire? Had it been worth it?
Word count: 124