Look to the East [Completed]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Look to the East [Completed]

Post by Ksenia »

Artemis held the door open for Ksenia with a grin. He’d been holding onto a phrase now for nearly half an hour. The front of the shop was still dim, the lights turned down so as not to waste oil. Apprentices moved about, sorting and organizing the stock and setting up new displays. It was the changing of the themes for the nobles’ soirees and so all of the prior clothing was no longer to be displayed. The apprentices gave them a glance before immediately returning to their labors. Neither Artemis or Ksenia were surprising anymore.

Artemis strode towards the back room where he could hear a faint humming and the occasional click and snip of shears. He positioned himself to block the doorway so Ksenia could not see in. Beyond, in the back room of the Fine Gentleman’s Attire, Dash O’Dell was awash in his work. Pattern references and half completed sections scattered about the room. He was a terribly refined and serious man when it came to his business and others. Beneath this well crafted exterior there was an aging father whose lifelong pursuit of fashion had finally lifted his family from the struggles of poverty.

“Good morning Dash, please don’t put on the mask just yet,” Artemis said, smiling softly at the rare look into the man’s true personage. He stepped into the room, pulling Ksenia along with a gentle hand at her wrist. “I’ve come to drop my Craftmistress off at school, and I think she would appreciate seeing who you truly are.”

Dash looked up from his work and continued humming, though there was a hitch of silence. “Good morning Artemis. You’re far earlier than I expected given your recent escapades.” Dash said as he started back at trimming the piece of fabric he’d been working on. “And I see you’ve arrived with the lovely Ksenia in one piece. A marvel.”

Artemis snorted and looked at Ksenia. “This is what he’s actually like. A man absolutely smitten with his craft and graced with a snark to boot. Now that you’ve seen behind the curtain who’s to say which face you’ll get. Good luck dear. Play nice with the other kids, and do all your homework.” Artemis gave Ksenia a fierce hug and then made his escape out of the shop.

“Have a seat dear, no reason to stand gawking like a fish,” Dash said with a grin as he made very small precise cuts on a particularly detailed section.

Ksenia thumped down into a chair off to the side. “I- um,”

“Midnight or pearl here do you think?” he asked suddenly, pointing at drawing of a cloak with accents. “You’ve got an eye for color, I think, and I just can’t decide.” The drawing was of a royal blue cloak with uncolored accents spread about it, giving the sense of a great owl in flight.

“Pearl. More contrast, it’ll draw the eye that way,” Ksenia said after looking at the drawing for a moment. “It’s a unique design. I’d say put some beading here-” she pointed at the neck and shoulders, “and maybe couch a thin cord to use to outline the feathers, give it some weight and dimension. You could do that around the hem too. Wool, I think, because curved hems are such a pain in the ass,” she muttered, half to herself. “Give it the weight it’d need to flow nicely too.”

“Interesting points, and valid, although this will be worn for perhaps a week and then never again after it’s purchased for some merchant’s wife,” Dash said.

Ksenia huffed. “A waste, really.”

“Perhaps, but the pay from it will cover a garden in roses.”

“Ah. Might be worth it, then.” She smiled; roses were one of her favorite flowers. “I’d still do the cording, simply because it’s easier to cover more area. As for the top, maybe spangles? Or some kind of applique?” She thought about the design, less as an artwork and more as a commodity to be produced and discarded.

“Fascinating how quickly you’re making the adjustment. Some of my apprentices struggle with forgoing their art, even when it is their means for putting bread on the table.” Dash gave her a grin and finished the final cut he intended to make. “Well, this is for another time. I simply wanted to indulge a bit before you arrived. Now, Miss Ksenia, let’s begin with your first lesson.”
Last edited by Ksenia on December 8th, 2019, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 763
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Re: Look to the East

Post by Ksenia »

“You intend to make a dress for the examination, correct? I wish to make sure you know all of the correct terms and any particulars the proctor may ask," Mr. O’Dell said. "I’ll clear the table, and I’ll need you to collect my shears and pins."

Ksenia picked the tools off the table while Mr. O’Dell folded the fabric neatly and stacked it in a pile on a shelf. The pins weren’t behaving and the bandages on her hands made the shears hard to hold as she normally would. Ksenia scowled at the whole mess. She pulled a few pins off the bandages and laid them back with their fellows.

“It’s difficult to work with bandaged hands, isn’t it?" Mr. O’Dell commented. "That is the first lesson; for us, our hands are as much a tool as our shears or our needles. You wouldn’t use fabric shears to cut rope, and you shouldn’t do work that may damage your hands." He came over and gently lifted her hands. "If you’re going to do things anyway, wear gloves."

Ksenia sighed and dropped her head. "I am sorry, and I know it was a stupid thing to-"

“Apologies aren’t necessary. Just learn from it, and don’t do it again." Mr. O’Dell gave her a wry smile. "Can you take the bandages off? We’ll see if you may be able to use them gently today."

Ksenia unwrapped the bandages, letting them spiral onto the floor. At the end, she gingerly peeled off the pad that Deb had put on her palms to keep the salve in place. Her palms were pinker and smoother than usual. She flexed her hands, feeling the slight pull on her palms. "If we’re careful, then maybe," she said, curling and uncurling her hands.

“That’s a start. Now, show me this wool you found," Mr. O’Dell said. Ksenia fished in her bag and pulled out a folded piece of aubergine wool. Unfolding it, the piece was about four yards long and almost as wide as Ksenia was tall. She pulled out her sketchbook and flipped to the drawing.

“High neckline, buttoned bodice, gathered skirt, long sleeves," Ksenia said. "Plus a few details. I’d love to do a pintuck inset for the bodice, but I’m not sure if that’s feasible, really."

“I don’t see why not. You’ll need to add on to the pattern to account for the fabric the tucks will take up but once you’re finished with those it should be no different than any other inset," Mr. O’Dell said thoughtfully.

"We should have plenty of fabric. Put that away for now, and we can get started on measurements."

He turned to his files and pulled out a blank measurement sheet, marking Ksenia’s name at the top. "I should warn you - I can get very uncomfortable being touched some places," Ksenia said softly. Mr. O’Dell froze for a moment, his knuckles turning white and the measurements sheet crinkling slightly as it was crushed beneath his grip. She barely saw the flash of anger in his eyes; he’d covered it quickly.

“Please tell me, and I’ll adjust," he said after a moment, tapping the wooden step for her to stand on. "I imagine this was not Mister Black, given his own proclivities. Perhaps a disgraced noblewoman?" he asked with a cold sharpness to his voice that Ksenia had never heard. His eyes were hard, and she could see he was considering something far beyond the words they’d exchanged. He started briefly, and then pursed his lips together as he held the tape to the back of Ksenia’s neck.

“No, he doesn’t overstep his boundaries. And not exactly," Ksenia responded. "More her - companions. But she wasn’t much one to object." She swallowed hard, trying to stay still.

Mr. O’Dell huffed as he jotted down numbers. Going down the list of measurements, he worked through most of the easy ones - arm length, shoulder width, the length from neck to waistline down her back. Pausing a moment, he came to face Ksenia.

"You know that I will have to measure your chest. What I’ll do is have you adjust the tape in the front and I will stay behind you. Will that be all right?"

"I think so. Thank you," she said quietly.

"Miss Ksenia, I have a daughter myself, not to mention many female clients. It’s an easy adjustment to make for your peace of mind," he replied. He handed her the tape to position. "Start with overbust, please."

Together they got through the list of measurements, save a few that wouldn’t be necessary for a dress. He handed her the sheet. "Please excuse me a moment; I need to make sure the apprentices are on task." Batting aside the curtain, he stepped into the front room. Ksenia started comparing her measurements to those of the dress dummy so that she could create a proper toile for herself.

A loud thud followed by the sound of splintering wood came from outside and Ksenia jumped. She wasn’t sure what it might be, and she had no desire to check. While she refilled her mug of tea, she saw Mr. O’Dell come in, shaking his hands out and setting down what looked like a snapped end of a measuring stick. "I think I can start on the dummy toile today," she said as he re-entered the room.

"That would be good progress, certainly," he said, saying nothing of the shattered piece of wood or the slight tremor in his hands. Ksenia retrieved the muslin from the shelf and laid it out to begin marking her measurements.

By the end of the day, she’d managed to complete the dummy toile and had started to pin the fabric to the dummy to start draping the dress. She was so absorbed she hadn’t noticed the end-of-day hubbub around her, or the apprentices leaving one by one. "Get your things, Ksenia. I’m closing up," Dash O’Dell said as he walked through the back room quickly.

Ksenia grabbed the few things she’d taken out of her bag during the day and shoved them inside. Wasn’t she staying here? Why would she need to gather her belongings? "Go out the front door, and wait for me there," Dash called. Ksenia did as she was told, slightly apprehensive that she’d done something wrong.

Locking the front door, he said, "Come along, Ksenia. If we dawdle Mrs. O’Dell will have put away dinner by the time we get there." He gave the storefront a visual inspection before nodding. "If we make good time there’ll still be the last vestiges of sunlight to trim the roses by."

"Are we going to your home, then? I thought I was staying in the shop," Ksenia asked, a bit confused.

He snorted. "Hardly. I’d not leave you there as frozen hungry students don’t listen well." He took off at a brisk pace, but slowed as it became evident that Ksenia couldn’t keep up. "Given how much I imagine Artemis drags you around I assumed you’d have his pace, apologies."

"Not quite - he’s forever having to adjust." Ksenia shifted her bag. "You mentioned roses - do you have many of them? I think they’re beautiful, and if you don’t mind, I’d like to see them."

Dash turned to smile excitedly at Ksenia. "I do in fact, just over three dozen. There’s floribundas, rugosas, shrub roses, and a few climbers and ground cover roses. They’re planted by color more so than by type. I’ve a few late bloomers, but soon the bushes will be filled with hips to pick. They make an excellent tea."
Word count: 1330
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

The walk back to the East Hall had been filled with pleased lilting songs half-whistled half-spoken. Artemis was finding with each passing day the needs of his knives grew more distant. Despite any outward signs, he would always keep them around, sharp and ready, to dull the nagging terror that lurked in his thoughts. When he made it back to the Hall he found his crew working away with a more relaxed but still industrious fervor.

“I take it the crew appreciates a good meal and a warm bed then?" he said, grinning to Foreman Jacobus as he approached.

“Aye, and the prospect of more work in the future. There’s been no trouble so far, I reckon we can have the inspectors on call in the coming days without worry," the massive fatherly man said with a nod to the sounds of hammer and saw. "Speaking of, there’s a lot more folks coming by. Most simply stop in and say hello, some ask questions I don’t have answers to. Might be worth asking them to come round for a meeting of sorts."

Artemis bounced his head in thought. He appreciated the idea of getting all of the questions out of the way in a single swoop, but was also rightly concerned where the questioning might lead, and who would be receiving the answers. His hall still lacked any protection or gang affiliation. This would make it a target and likely draw attempts at shakedowns and threats soon.

“I think that is something I could manage Foreman," he said finally, having weighed all his options and found little beyond speculations to stop the plan. "Perhaps work with our illustrious chef to arrange it?" Jacobus grinned and gave a short laugh.

With no other pressing business Artemis moved into the warehouse and caught the attention of Kent. The man was perhaps the strongest on the crew, having been tasked with hauling heavy lumber and setting up winches and cranes.

“Kent, I need a hand or two to get some things up topside. You free for a minute?" Artemis asked the man in a half shout, making sure he was heard over the sound of tools.

Kent looked surprised for several seconds but came over quickly enough. "Sure Boss, just me though?" he asked, a bit of wariness to his voice.

“I’m not going to gut you or bed you, just need a table and chair moved," Artemis said laughing and clapping the massive man on the shoulder. Kent smiled after a moment and shook his head.

“Sorry boss, just the thing with the brandy, and the stories Lynwood tells. You’re not really my type and I didn’t want to make you mad."

“How many stories can he possibly tell, it was one time!” Artemis replied with a shake of his head as he moved down and opened his secured door. "Just that table and a chair for now. I’d rather sit in the shade outside than stand around for this next bit. The leather workers should be around soon enough," he said by way of an explanation.

Between the pair of them they made quick work of the furniture and Artemis settled in to relax at his off-canter table in his poorly made chair. "Need to get these replaced, but they work well enough," he mumbled to himself as he sat watching the children play in the work yard. They were deeply involved in some sort of battle with sticks whacking about to the reverberating sounds of hammer falls from the Hall’s back wall.

He started a soft game of toss, catch, keep with himself. Counting how many times he could flip a coin between his pairs of fingers before he was forced to use his palm to prevent it from spinning off onto the dirty rough stone. Between the rhythmic hammering, the deft use of his hands, and the gentle warmth of shade on a sunny day he managed to be completely surprised when Gavin appeared in front of him.

“Uhm, Mister Black?" Gavin said over the delightful ping of the copper against the stone as Artemis’ palm managed to clip rather than catch. "Is this the place?"

Artemis looked up at the man and smiled, jumping from his chair and offering his hand out. "Welcome Gavin, and it is. You’re looking at the expertly reinforced shell of East Hall. Though, the inspection’s not come through yet," Artemis said, shaking the young man’s hand firmly.

Gavin looked actively interested, his eyes drifting over the work being done with an eagerness Artemis hadn’t expected. "Here for the plans then? Care to look around a bit, I can walk you through the layout and check on the crew at the same time." Artemis swept his arm out to entice the leatherworker forward. He hoped to get to know the two men, it would make any choices he needed to make later simpler if he had a personality and face to the name and work. He wasn’t just looking for a leatherworker after all, but someone interested in pursuing a particularly detailed set of skills while also acting as a close associate or friend.

“I think I’ve got some time to spare, workroom won’t open for a few hours anyway," Gavin replied with a grin. Artemis led them into the cleared open floor.

“Hail Foreman, I’ve got an interested potential occupant. Care to send your best to entice them?" Artemis half-shouted over the din of work. There was a stutter to the hammering and talk before a soft quiet fell. The entire crew looked over as Jacobus made his way from the far corner of the hall.

“Kent’s our best on that I think Master Black," Jacobus said with a grin for the other man. Artemis felt a twinge of amusement at Jacobus’ choice of title. He’d never been much of a master of anything, but it certainly did fall nicely on the ears. Kent moved over after passing his hammer off to Otis.

“Boss," he said nodding and giving Artemis and Gavin a broad grin. "I’ve actually got a little model I made, if you’ll gimme a minute." Artemis nodded to the man and he jogged off towards the underground bunkhouse. The barrel door was kept open now, but would be sealed shut when inspection came.

“He’s our site engineer, smart man, not surprised he’s got a model," Artemis said in an aside to Gavin as they passed the few moments before Kent reappeared huffing just slightly. He grabbed an empty crate on his way over and set it down solidly in front of his audience.

“Alright, this," Kent said, pointing at the model and adjusting it slightly to be square with the box edge. "Is the current design for the East Hall with north aligned." He paused for a moment, perhaps for dramatic effect, perhaps to let his lungs catch up to the stairs. The model on the box was rather intricate and detailed. It was clearly made of scrap wood glued together skillfully. There were colored chalk marks on most of the representative walls that looked to follow a pattern.

“These red ones, those are ten bys," he said pointing quickly to six rooms along the center east of the model. "These, they’re a bit more roomy at fifteen by ten," he indicated nine modeled rooms deftly. "Finally there’s this big one, coming in at a grand fifteen by fifteen with a ten footer entrance hall." Kent motioned at the south east corner of the model. "The other two corners are claimed by the Craftmistress and Mister Black."

Gavin looked over the model and rooms with clear interest during Kent’s explanation. "Which one’s Ksenia in?" he asked clearly still taken with the woman. Artemis just barely kept himself from a snort while Kent helpfully indicated the north east room. "Ah, so she’s got this nice area under the stairs. That’ll be good for a fitting room. Wonder if I could borrow it from time to time," the leatherworker mused, clearly several steps ahead in his thoughts.

“That’ll certainly be up to her," Artemis said after a moment, coming to Kent’s rescue. "Do any of the sizes interest you, and how much would you think they cost?" the thief asked, interested in what a leatherworker experienced with rented spaces thought about pricing.

Gavin looked up, squinted in thought and rubbed his chin as he considered the model again. "Well I pay twelve copper a week for the shared space, and that’s only after the licensed crafters go home. So maybe four hours a night, four times a week. If I was looking at say this one," he pointed at the ten by room closest to Ksenia’s workspace. "I could see paying a half-silver a week even. Not certain I can afford that, but it doesn’t seem like an unreasonable price for a leather worker with even a small client list or regular simple goods buyers."

Artemis smirked and nodded at the man’s estimate. "That sounds around what I was thinking. I could likely be convinced to waive the initial fee in exchange for some work being done. I’ll need things for the Hall rather regularly in the beginning." Gavin raised an eyebrow and looked at Artemis before finally nodding.

Borin walked confidently in the warehouse’s open door. "Ah, Mister Black. I thought I might find you here," he said, with a somewhat serious expression. "Gavin, good to see you as well," Borin said, moving over to the model and crate before extending his hand to the other leatherworker. Artemis’ eyebrows raised in surprise. Where he had expected some hostility or curtness he instead noticed a slight smile on Gavin’s lips.

An idea trickled through the thief’s head for a moment and he let a copper roll from his hand to land a short distance from Gavin’s feet. "Another one, could you grab that for me Gavin?" he asked motioning to the coin. The young man looked confused for a moment and then bent over to pick up the copper.

Borin had been studying the model, but as Gavin fumbled with the coin, his gaze flicked over to Gavin’s nicely rounded buttocks. A faint blush came over his cheeks and he jerked his eyes away and back to Kent’s model. Kent chuckled softly and looked to Artemis who returned a wink to the man. It was obvious that something had happened after the leatherworkers’ short collaboration. Perhaps they didn’t realize it, but it was plain for others to see.

“Borin, what would you say to renting a workspace, say fifteen by ten, for around- let’s just go with an even forty copper?" Artemis asked the more serious man. Borin suddenly looked confused and his eyes snapped to Artemis’ quickly. He opened and closed his mouth twice before words came out.

“That’s exceptionally cheap. Does it leak terribly, have a draft?" Borin sought clarification.

Artemis grinned. "You’d need to share it with your competition. Gavin, thoughts on the price?" Artemis said, accepting his copper piece back from the man.

“That’s cheaper than the ten by, and I think I could work well enough with Borin. He’s got a good read on the heavier technical stuff," Gavin offered a broader smile to his competitor.

“Gavin’s certainly got a knack for finding the places where detail and strength can make the difference," Borin replied with a friendly nod back.

“Excellent. As explained to Gavin earlier, the only spots taken are the two back corners for the Craftmistress and myself, so you’ll have your choice," Artemis replied. "Hold on a moment, I’ll get the plans for you as well." Artemis dashed into his room, grabbed his folder of documents, and fished out a copy of the vambrace plans for each of the leather workers.

He walked quickly back out, handing Gavin and Borin each a plan. "Here you are. If you have questions, I’m usually around here," Artemis said. Both of them looked at the plans for several moments before heading off together discussing several of the details.

As soon as the leatherworkers left, Artemis turned to Kent, his eyes bright. "By Cecelia’s tits, that was adorable, and I’m tempted to start a betting pool on how long it takes for them to realize."

Kent snickered. "Boss, you’re horrid. Put me down for two weeks, and I’ll start the collection."
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 21st, 2019, 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Word count: 2118
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“Down this street a bit. We’re almost there," Dash told Ksenia. Along the row of houses, she saw a fence covered with climbing roses, almost hanging into the street. Ksenia smiled and hoped she’d guessed correctly that the fence belonged to Dash.

They stopped in front of the gate to open it. An arched arbor overhead gave a base for what Ksenia could tell would be an explosion of roses come spring. "They’re all white," Dash said, gesturing to the arbor."My wife asked to have the gate with an arch, and I planted the White Dawn roses to cover it." They walked down a path that branched off to different beds; several of the bushes had only small orange berries left.

By the front door, blood-red roses gave their last blooms of the season. "They’re called Red Ribbon," Dash explained as he unlocked the door. Ksenia took advantage of his distraction to surreptitiously sniff them; they had a soft scent that made Ksenia want to bury her nose in them.

He stepped through the door and turned to hang his coat up. Ksenia came in at his gesture and set her bag down by the closed door. Following Dash, she came into a comfortable sitting room with a fire crackling in the hearth and a woman sitting in a wingback chair, apparently engrossed in her book. Dash walked up to her and kissed her on the cheek.

“My Love, I’ve brought a guest, the student I mentioned last night. Diana, this is Ksenia; Ksenia, my wife Diana." Ksenia curtseyed as the woman looked toward her.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you," Diana said, sliding a bookmark in her spot as she closed the book. "Dash has spoken well of you before, which is a rare distraction from his complaints for his customers."

“I dare not hope it was only praise," Ksenia said with a soft smile.

Diana chuckled. "Mostly praise, though he did have some choice words for what you did to your hands. Dash dearest, are you taking Ksenia around to see the garden?”

“I have a fellow rose aficionado and so rare a thing needs to be appreciated," he said with a wry smile. "I shan’t be late and spoil supper." He kissed her cheek again and headed down the hall to the front door. Ksenia smiled and followed.

Dash had a canvas partitioned tote with an assortment of snips, clippers, wires, and odd gadgets that he picked up as he went back into the garden. Ksenia trailed after him, wondering if she should offer to help.

He hummed as he inspected the bushes, looking for any dead wood to trim."Not much more I can do out here. Most of them will be dormant for winter soon." He pointed out his favorites, explaining the organization and groupings, which were amusingly based on the house crests of various nobles. Ksenia could envision the clouds of blossoms in the spring, spilling all over the garden.

“I hope I have a chance to come over when everything is in bloom. It must be glorious," Ksenia commented, looking around. Dash smiled and stretched.

“Probably supper time, or nearly. We may as well head back inside," he said, picking up his tote and making his way to the door. Walking down the short hall, he leaned into the kitchen to check for food."If you’ll get your things, I’ll show you to your room. It appears we have a few minutes before we eat."

Ksenia picked up the bag she’d carried in and followed Dash down the hall to a room on the left. "This was my daughter Rosalinda’s room when she was a girl. She’s out living her own life now - being an airship pilot, seeing Khy’eras." He pushed the door open and led Ksenia in.

The room was small and tidy. A patchwork quilt covered the bed in a riot of different shades and textures of pink. There was also a shelf at the foot of the bed with a few books, a small desk and chair, and a narrow white painted wardrobe. "Thank you," Ksenia said, gazing around her. "It’s very nice." She set her bag on the chair.

“Make yourself comfortable. Oh, if you need a light, this lantern here-” he pointed,"just flick the shade up." He stepped back into the hall. "The bathroom is next door. I’ll let you know when supper’s ready." He closed the door behind himself, and Ksenia heard his steps recede as he walked away.

She sank down on the bed. The O’Dells weren’t rich, by any means, but from the obvious care that had been put into Rosalinda’s room, their daughter was very loved. What would it have been like, having a room to sleep in that was yours alone? That had only the things you liked and enjoyed in it? Ksenia dashed away the tears that threatened to spill out of her eyes and stepped out into the hall to find the bathroom. She’d splash some cold water on her face; she didn’t want the O’Dells to think she didn’t like her accommodations.

Dash came down the hall and knocked on the door. "Time for dinner, Ksenia." She came out of the bathroom."Good timing. The food’s just come out of the oven." Ksenia followed him back to the kitchen, which was nestled across from the sitting room.

Diana had set a large dish of food on the table, along with places for the three of them. "It’s beef and vegetable casserole tonight, dearest, with the last of the neighbor’s vegetables. They’ve pickled the rest to put up. Fortunately for you two I decided to make a casserole," she said, grinning and waving her serving spoon at her husband. "Otherwise, you’d simply have to go hungry to feed your guest." Dash raised his hands in defeat, clearly not the first time he’d done such a thing.

“I appreciate your being able to accommodate me on short notice," Ksenia said quickly, hoping to defuse any argument before it started.

“Nonsense dear, friends of my darling are always welcome. He’d do well to let me know though, lest I get too into a good read before they arrive." Diana gave the younger woman a smile. "Now hand me your plate." She scooped a generous portion on Ksenia’s plate and then Dash’s before she served herself. "I hope tea is alright. We’re not much for ale or beer."

“Tea is what I prefer, actually," Ksenia replied, sipping from the cup in front of her. Dash raised his cup with a smile to the young seamstress. After they’d all been seated, Ksenia waited, hands in lap until the O’Dells began eating. Mam had yelled at her more than once for being "too eager” at the table.

The casserole was creamy and flavorful, the sharp taste of fresh carrots underneath a pleasing mix of other woodier root vegetables and slowly braised meat. Ksenia chewed with obvious pleasure. After several bites Diana used her fork to wave a carrot at her husband. "Oh, I meant to tell you dearest, you have a letter from Soltaevar."

Dash grinned and rubbed his hands together gleefully. "Wonderful. I wonder what he’s got in mind this time?” Seeing Ksenia’s curious expression, he explained. "Soltaevar is one of those rare clients who appreciates artistry and isn’t afraid to pay for quality. With all the fast fashion for the nobles - whose fashion this week is passé the next - it’s delightful to collaborate with someone like him."

A soft tap came from the side of the kitchen and a cat with brown tabby patches and white trotted across the floor ."Remnants, Remmy," Diana called and clicked to the cat, who bounded over to rub against her legs."You beggar, you just want meat," she scolded him. The cat meowed softly until Diana led him to a bowl of scraps set on the floor. "Remmy, you silly boy, there you go," Diana said, petting the cat who purred loudly and attacked the bowl with abandon.

“Oh, yes, I should mention - Soltaevar is crazy about his cats. He has four now, I think. Remmy was one of a litter several years ago, and Sol would only hand him over after I promised three times we’d take good care of him," chuckled Dash as he watched the cat take massive bites of food.

“I’ll see if he can come by this week. Maybe after we get you through the exam," Dash said, stabbing a chunk of beef with his fork."He’s an interesting fellow."

“He does sound like he’d be excellent to work for," Ksenia mused, taking a drink of her tea. "If you don’t mind, maybe I can listen in on his ideas if he doesn’t object."

“Oh, I’d insist. I have no idea what he may have in mind, but having you there would only add to the collaboration," Dash commented.

After dinner had been eaten, Diana took the plates and scrubbed them while Dash took his usual spot in the sitting room. He tore open the letter and perused it. Ksenia’s eyes wandered over the stuffed bookshelves around the room. "Would you mind if I borrowed a book? Just while I’m here, of course," she asked.

“They’re mostly my wife’s books, but anything that isn’t next to her chair should be fine," replied Dash, folding the letter. Remnants came in and curled up on the sofa between the two chairs. Ksenia picked out a book on Tivyrian legends, and took the spot next to the cat. She offered her hand to him, which he sniffed carefully before rubbing his cheeks on her knuckles. Grinning, Ksenia scratched gently behind the cat’s ears and around his cheeks, finding the good spots. Remmy purred loudly.

“Somebody’s happy," Dash commented. Diana finished the dishes and sat down in her chair, picking up her book.

“I see we’ve engaged the purr," she said, smiling as she opened the volume. Ksenia grinned.

“He’s a sweet kitty," she said. She gave Remmy another few scratches, then opened her book. Remmy headbutted her hand, looking for more affection. "Not right now, Remmy," she said softly. Remmy, being a cat, didn’t accept being rejected and proceeded to climb into Ksenia’s lap. Ksenia stared at him as he pawed at her. "Okay then."

When Dash glanced back to check on her, Ksenia was holding a book in her left hand and absentmindedly scratching Remy with her right as the cat purred away with a smug expression on his face. Dash chuckled to himself, then nudged Diana, who grinned in reply. "Looks like Remmy has a new friend," she said quietly.

When they headed to their rooms for the night, Dash told Ksenia, "Leave the door open if you want Remmy to come visit you. He’s rather friendly."

“Alright, thank you. Good night," she said, disappearing into Rosalinda’s room and closing the door. She unpacked her bag, laying out the wool and her clothes on the desk. After undressing for bed, she laid her clothes on the back of the chair, popped the door open, and crawled into the sheets. She had laid awake for several minutes before she heard a curious sounding “mrrr?” from the hallway.

Remmy poked his head in the door, and Ksenia sat up to pat the bed for him. He bounded onto the bed and curled up at her feet, kneading the blanket for a minute before settling down. She smiled and curled up to her pillow, warm and comfortable.

Her dreams were of faces and hands she wanted to forget. She dodged them but they kept reaching. Whimpering a little, she twitched in her sleep. Remmy padded up to her and licked her cheek, letting his whiskers tickle her skin. Ksenia made a face but quieted down. A jungle cat had stalked into her dream, coming between her and her pursuers. She tucked an arm around Remmy and they both fell into a sound sleep.
Word count: 2061
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

“Boss, think things are good to go now, you just need to send in for the inspection," Jacobus said, wiping his hands on his trousers as he looked over the completely renovated warehouse. The crew had stripped the upper floor completely and then used scaffolding to reinforce and replace everything in the bones of the structure as necessary. Finally they had put up a set of freshly sanded doors with new locks.

Artemis nodded appreciatively as his eyes looked across the fruits of their labors. "I believe it is, I’ll go out in the morning to the bank for the funds and then straight to the inspector’s office to schedule," Artemis said with a grin. The soft clang of a brass bell rang out several times and the two men turned to see Lena releasing the rope.

“Your bell works good, and it’s dinner time," the woman said with a broad smile as she put her hands on her hips. "I’ve made something special to welcome the crew into boredom, just as the Foreman asked."

Artemis raised an eyebrow and looked to Jacobus. "I don’t believe for a moment you’d let them have anything beyond perhaps a late morning Foreman," he said bumping into the man playfully.

“Likely not, but it’s good to give them hope Master Black," Jacobus said back with a wink. "I figure we can send them out in groups, look for castoffs and spare material. Start on constructing some furniture, a chest for the tools, those sorts of things," the Foreman said with a sage nod. "If you leave them idle the place will be infested with whores and gambling within the week."

Artemis seriously considered that for a moment before returning his own sage nod. "As you say, Foreman. In that case I’ll go now and get some extra coin for payouts tonight then. Try to leave some food for me." Artemis waved over his shoulder as he walked out onto North Rigging Street.

Artemis’ route to the bank felt very strange. He was not used to walking down on the cobble and he kept looking ahead to see turns in the road he didn’t expect. In the end he arrived just as the place was looking to start closing up. He hustled his way up to the window and nodded to the teller with a broad grin.

“Just a moment I promise. I am Artemis Black, proprietor of the East Hall and manager for Craftmistress Ksenia. I require funds for an inspection and the purchase of necessary materials and goods from the good Craftmistress’ account." As Artemis spoke he pulled out Ksenia’s bank certificate and presented it along with his own writ of temporary ownership.

The clerk frowned for a moment before inspecting both documents and checking a dense tome below his upper counter. "Yes, I see. You are authorized and do appear to be who you claim. I can deliver you one gold at most, the remainder of the deposits are awaiting verification in the morning," the teller said helpfully before picking up a pen to notate Artemis’ reply.

“One gold, in quarter silvers please," Artemis responded with a bright smile.

The clerk recorded the information and opened a small lockbox to remove the necessary coinage. "If you’d like I can deduct the inspection fee from the account directly and send our courier. They’ve not made the last round and it will ensure you needn’t wait in the morning," the teller offered as he double-checked his count of coins.

“That would be wonderfully helpful. So much to do and nary the time after all," Artemis said back, clearly appreciative. He was becoming happier and happier with his choice of financial institution as time went on.

The teller placed his coins in a pile and pulled out a sheet of prepared paper. He quickly worked at marking it while referencing the writ Artemis had provided. "Please sign here indicating your intent and I will ensure this gets sent out immediately," the man said, handing over his pen and tapping a small x’ed line. Artemis put his sweeping signature onto the line and nodded before reaching for the coins and documents.

“Many thanks, and please pass my compliments on to your manager for a wonderful banking experience," Artemis said as he sorted the coins into his hidden chest pouch and belt slots. The teller smiled and nodded to Artemis before pulling down a wooden shade to close his window.

He decided to give running a go and immediately felt the rush of wind against his skin. He grinned broadly as he lept from roof to roof and bounced along the East District with much greater speed and efficiency. When he got near to the warehouse he made his way back down to the street. He didn’t want to make the crew more suspicious than they needed to be, and it simply felt right to approach the East Hall from the road.

There was a bit of lively music coming from the workyard as Artemis turned the corner. Several mismatched tables and chairs had been arranged in a broad circle around the double doors of the Hall. A few yard residents were playing music while everyone else enjoyed food, drink, and general carousing. Artemis couldn’t quite believe his eyes as he strode up to the throng of celebration. As soon as someone who recognized his face spotted him a cheer, followed by mugs and arms, went up. It spread outward, encompassing the whole gathering and the musicians dove into a lively tune.

Artemis laughed loudly and prepared to lift his empty hand when a mug was shoved into it by someone he didn’t see. He lifted the mug, eliciting another round of cheers, and then downed a solid gulp of cheap ale. There was a short moment of silence followed by the sound of mugs hitting tables and other mugs. Artemis slid forward and realized he was being herded. A chair was pulled out in front of a central table and soon he’d settled into it.

A young girl came by and dropped off a heaping platter of food before spinning off into the crowd. Artemis looked around his new table and saw Jacobus and the rest of the crew grinning back at him with their own mugs and plates of food.

“They heard from someone that we’re done for a bit, and taking work for things around until we get cleared to build. Combine that with a fire hazard turning into a place of business and I suspect you might get more than a few marriage offers if the drinking lasts too long Boss," Jacobus said with a broad grin before he took a bite from a large roasted bird leg covered in herbs and spices.

“Aye, and you can’t begin to know how happy you’ve made us all, though we’ll try our best," Lena said over his head as she dropped off a basket of steaming bread loaves. When several hands shot out and much of the bread was gone it became clear this was not the first basket of bread to grace the table.

“Dig in Artemis," Lynwood said from his side, pointing at him with a piece of steaming bread missing a good chunk. "This stuff is delicious, and we’ll likely be on gruel tomorrow," the toolmaster added with a wink. Artemis shrugged his shoulders and picked up his own bird leg. He sized it up for a moment before taking an eager bite from the flesh. Juices spilled everywhere and he slurped desperately to catch them. In the end he chewed with a happy moan as herb flavored liquid poured down his face.

“Come on now, you can’t make it that easy Boss," Amalia said from across the table as she slapped her hand on the table between laughs.

“So that’s what you meant when you said he was eager," Kent said before bursting into his own belly laugh and punching Lynwood on the arm. Lynwood turned bright red and another round of raucous laughter went around the table.

Artemis ignored them and continued to heartily indulge himself in the succulent meat. When the laughter finally died down, it had restarted several times at a well timed slurp, Kent waved his hand a bit to get attention. "I’ve got a whole half silver in the pool Boss."

Artemis looked confused for a moment before he pointed his turkey leg at the man. "Good on you, what’s the spread look like for days?"

Kent gained a conspiratorial grin and rubbed his hands together. "Nothing longer than three weeks. We based them on the date the Hall opens, with a single bet for before," the engineer replied.

“Put me down for two days, and I’ll officially say I won’t cheat," Artemis said after a moment's consideration. Kent chuckled and pulled out a small slip of paper from his pocket. He scribbled on it quickly and then waved a hand to flag down one of the several serving girls.

“Another round of bread please, and send over your prettiest, we’re making fun of the Boss," Kent said in a half-shout over the music and noise. Artemis narrowed his eyes at the man.

“I’ll not be taken in by a-” his words died in his throat as a delicate ruddy-red hand landed on his shoulder while another leaned out and dropped another steaming basket of bread on the table. 'Well that's a beautiful color’, he finally managed to think after his brain restarted. Intrigued, Artemis followed the hand up to the arm and then up to the attractive face and respectable chest of a young Kerasoka woman.

“Hello, Boss," she said with a grin and a light lilt in her speech. "Rumor has it you’re a very talented man," she purred. "Care to - demonstrate?" She threw a wink to the crew sitting around the table. All of their faces were plastered with grins best described as shit-eating. "Or do you have a craft you also practice?"

“Well, you can certainly call me Master instead if that’s easier," Artemis said back smoothly, letting his hand settle on the elf’s as he raised his brow teasingly.

“Aren’t you delightful," she said, giving him a sideways grin. "Ever cared to commune with one of Ixzaiel’s own?" She traced her fingertips along his jaw.

“I have in fact, I know this tree of an elf. He’s got the kind of arms you could call glorious and a smile to match. Though I’ve not had the opportunity and I must say I’m curious about the rumored vigor of the jungle folk," Artemis said, letting his chin lift to follow the slide of her fingertip and smiling broadly.

She tossed her head back in a throaty laugh. "What if I say it’s not all rumor?" She leaned in close. "Care to test that?"

“I’d perhaps be required to share the fact that I have a well-stuffed fleece mattress that could use a good… breaking in," Artemis was lost in the woman’s eyes. They sparkled like green jewels, bright against her clay colored skin.

“Haven’t you ever been to Ajteire? You’d learn why there’s so many hammocks in the trees," she smirked. "Better than fleece by far."

“I disagree, firmly. Perhaps the swing is pleasing, but there’s nothing quite like the comfort of a cloud to catch pleasured moans," Artemis returned back.

The entire table was silent, watching the exchange with rapt attention in the same way a crowd would watch a duel of rapiers. It seemed the crew had somewhat underestimated both their willing teaser and their rakish employer.

She raised her eyebrows. "You’re very confident you can draw those out, Boss. And yet I’m hearing quite a lot of talking but not feeling any pleasure yet," she said, gently licking her lips.

“Well, you see," Artemis said as he leaned back and slid his arm around the elf’s waist, pulling her gently closer. "I wanted to make sure we could get all the talking out of the way. Seeing as there won’t be much more of it after we get started." He gave her a squeeze. "What do they call you, so I'll remember it in the morning?"

The elf grew quiet, clearly blushing. Her cheeks filling with an enticing rosy hue that almost entirely blended into her skin and she twirled a finger in her hair. "Hannah, and I’m sure you’ll remember more than that," she said after a moment of coy silence.

Artemis felt himself blushing in return as he grinned up at her. There was something about the teasing quiet in the bout of bombastic flirting. He gave her another gentle squeeze and released her to look back at his food. "Then I will see you, Hannah, in my quarters this evening. So that you might verify my claims." He took a large bite from his turkey leg and groaned softly as the flavors settled across his tongue. "This is such amazing food, send my compliments to everyone," he added to the elf as she moved away with a broad grin.

There was a wild cheer cut with an undercurrent of groans around the table as several coppers changed hands. "I’ll have to return the favor Artemis," Lynwood said with a devious wink. Artemis shook his head and continued to indulge in the succulent morsels before him.

As the night wore on there was singing, dancing, and even a few young couples moving off to sit on shaded steps far from the fire. Artemis wondered if this was almost the neighborhood’s excuse for a harvest festival. There often weren’t such luxuries in the poorer areas given the time, energy, and coin they required. He mused that he could instate regular festivals without terribly much extra effort. It would likely be worth the added attention and extra customers. With a nod he added it to his mental list. Eventually, he sat at the table alone, declining a dance with a group of young men eager to show off their skills.

“Beautiful night," the lilting voice of Hannah said softly right beside his ear. Artemis flinched before purring in pleasure at the warmth of her breath.

“It is, perhaps I could show you something even better?" he offered, turning to raise his eyebrows at her teasingly. He rose from his seat and put out his hand to her.

“Oh, I’m certain you could," she said and took his hand in hers. Artemis grinned and led her slowly into the warehouse. As they passed the newly hung double doors a distant cheer went up that sounded distinctly like his crew.

"I didn't quite believe them, but you do in fact have a lair," Hannah laughed at the discovery as Artemis led her down the secret passageway to his room.

"My own place from the world, where I keep my meager comforts and lure pretty men and women to their pleasurable doom," Artemis replied with a devious grin as unlocked the door.

Once inside he led her to the bedside and motioned for her to sit. Hannah let out a soft yelp of surprise when she sank into the fleece mattress. Artemis grinned and moved to his collection of storage boxes to remove two cups and the bottle of cognac.

"It really does feel like a cloud," she said in quiet wonder as he poured them both several fingers of the liquid.

"Imagine what else I've said is also true." He winked as he handed her a cup. "This is a special drink, I save it for people I know well, or wish to. Drink it slowly, it is to be enjoyed."

Hannah raised a questioning eyebrow to him but took a small sip of the amber liquid. She let out a pleased hum as the smooth flavorful drink settled on her tongue. When she'd swallowed she smiled and lifted her cup to him. "You didn't have to ply me with fancy drink, but I'll not turn you down for the chance either," she said before taking another appreciative sip.

"I like to offer fine things to those that catch my attention. Besides, perhaps it will lessen the sting of my actual plan," her said back, taking his own slow small sip.

'Still never had any with Katarya. I should go see her soon,' he thought briefly as the alcohol warmed his throat. "You see, in a rare turn of form I'm going to have to not pound you joyfully into my cloud of a mattress."

Hannah looked a mixture of concerned and confused over the rim of her cup. She motioned with her free hand for him to continue as she took another drink.

"A woman I’m finding to be a close friend and business partner has advised me to stop falling into beds quite so often. Though I must admit it pains me I believe she is right. At least until I can speak to someone else who is dear to me. Therein lies the rub. I do have my reputation, and I'm not immune to temptations." He gave her a slow appreciative once over as he said this and then took another sip.

"I'll offer you a massage, the work of my fingers will still bring you pleasure, and ask only that you share my bed without sharing my body. Though I must confess once I've ensured the problem is solved I'll likely call you back to truly enjoy an evening."

Hannah looked thoughtful as she took another drink. A faint pink had drifted onto her cheeks and neck and Artemis was unsure if it was the nights drink or his words. "I better be moaning in pleasure like you promised," she said lowering her cup to smirk seductively at him.

"You will be, now hand me that and get out of these clothes. They're in the way," he said as he took her cup and moved to deftly lock the door.
Word count: 3053
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Dash O’Dell walked down the hall of his house to his daughter’s old room, where his sleeping protégée lay. The door was slightly ajar, and he knocked softly before swinging it open. Ksenia was curled up, an arm around Remmy. The cat stretched, giving a long pleased trill, the sound stretched out the same as his limbs, and trotted over to Dash for pets. Roused by the movement, Ksenia raised her head.

“Good morning, Ksenia. I hope you slept well; breakfast will be in the kitchen soon, so come in when you’re ready. Remmy?” Dash turned and left the room, shooing the cat before him. Remmy bounced down the hall, meowing loudly at the prospect of food.

Ksenia sat up in bed, her hair tangled, and stretched. She got dressed quickly and slipped into the bathroom next door - among other things she needed to make sure her hair was more or less contained. Breakfast turned out to be omelets, made with some of last night’s leftovers.

Diana bustled over and set a plate in front of Ksenia. “Good morning, dear,” she said, moving around the kitchen. Ksenia took a bite - they were on par with Deb’s omelets - and enjoyed the warmth of the kitchen.

“We’ll head out after breakfast,” Dash said, sipping his tea. Ksenia nodded and finished her omelet. “Oh - are you intending to walk around with your ears out today?” Dash gestured at Ksenia.

She put her hands to her ears. “No, thank you for reminding me,” she said, and turned to go into the hall.

“She knows you don’t care, right dearest?” Diana asked her husband. Ksenia heard them talking as she walked to the bathroom.

“I don’t think that’s the issue; she said she’s had trouble with opinionated fools before,” Dash replied, a touch regretfully. Ksenia combed her hair back more smoothly and pulled it back in its usual low tail to hide the tips of her ears. Checking her bag, she stood by the front door, waiting.

“I’m not going to just up and leave you,” Dash commented when he saw her standing.

“I don’t want to make us late.” Mam had always been a stickler about that; Ksenia had gotten too many lectures on being lazy or dragging behind to ever want a repeat. Dash raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. After a few minutes of puttering about, he came to the door. Diana kissed his cheek before he left, and they headed down the street.

Once they’d reached the shop, Dash made his usual morning rounds, opening curtains and turning on lamps. Ksenia watched and did her best to help. “The apprentices should be here in the next fifteen minutes or so,” he said, sighing. “Time to get the tea brewing.”

During the course of the morning, Ksenia finished the dress muslin, but also was quizzed on terms - why the curve of a bodice for the sleeve was called an armseye, she’d never know, but she knew that was what it was called. The apprentices got a bit of practice too, and Ksenia supervised them while Mr. O’Dell took a walk to get lunch. Fortunately, she could handle almost all of their questions save “What am I supposed to do now?”; that got an answer of “Why don’t you sweep the floor or straighten the shelves?” much to their dismay. Mr. O’Dell grinned when she told them of their reactions and who had needed help where.

After lunch, Ksenia and Mr. O’Dell checked her dress muslin to be sure it was ready. He slipped it over her head carefully and brought the mirror closer so that she could check the fit for herself. She turned on the wooden step slowly. “What do you think about the dart on the left?”

“Mm. You could take that in just a bit,” he said studying. Looking up at her, he asked, “Do you want me to pin that for you, or would you rather do it yourself?”

Ksenia closed her eyes and swallowed. She reminded herself of Rosalinda’s room and the care that had gone into it. “Could you please do it?” She kept her eyes closed while he carefully adjusted the muslin.

“There,” Mr. O’Dell said, stepping back. “Do you see anywhere else that you think needs adjustments?” Ksenia looked at herself in the mirror, checking for bubbles or ripples in the fabric.

“I don’t see anything - how does the back look?” she asked, trying to look but not wanting to distort the line by twisting.

Mr. O’Dell studied the dress. “It looks fine. No puckers, no ripples, no distortion of any kind. I think that dart needs to be a bit deeper but otherwise, you can begin cutting.” Ksenia stepped down and Mr. O’Dell helped her out of the muslin without stabbing herself. She wiggled back into her overdress and took the muslin from him.

He patted her shoulder gently. “You’ve done excellent work on it so far, and I eagerly anticipate the finished product.” He left her to mark and unpick the muslin, going to check on his students, but Ksenia noticed his handkerchief had escaped his pocket briefly before he started giving out corrections.

She was cutting the last few pieces as the apprentices filed out, some giving her a wave as they left. Mr. O’Dell circled the shop slowly, lowering the curtains and tidying stock before he came to turn off the lamps. “I’ve only got two more pieces,” she said, as he came up to her. “May I please finish them?” She was hopeful, but not certain, he’d let her.

“I have time,” Dash said, settling into a chair. “If you’re planning to offer embroidery, you’ll need to offer an example of your stitching for that as well.” Ksenia froze for a moment, then remembered the pocket she’d made for Marcy.

“As long as they’ll give it back, I have an embroidered housewife’s pocket I can show them,” she said, cutting the sleeve cuffs out. “I made it as a gift, but I think it may be acceptable enough for the exam.” She laid the pieces in a pile and bundled up the rest of the wool. Standing up and stretching, she yawned. “All right, I’m done.”

“Should I have my wife stick a fork in you then, like a good roast?” Dash asked with a wry twist to his lips. Ksenia giggled. “Out the door then, and we’ll see what culinary delights my wife has in store for us tonight.”

After they were some distance from the store Ksenia asked, “Who made the lovely quilt in your daughter’s room?”

“I did. It was a present for her eleventh birthday,” Dash said, walking along. “As you might have guessed, her favorite color is pink, and I saved any pink scraps I had for the better part of a year to have enough for the quilt top.” They came to the gate of the O’Dell’s house and he swung it open. “Quilting has different emphasises than sewing for clothing, and it also proved a useful exercise in those respects,” he mused. “Mostly, though, I wanted to give her something beautiful, useful, and that I’d made just for her.”

“I-I see,” Ksenia said. She envied Rosalinda just a bit - not the quilt itself, but the sentiment and care behind it. “If it wouldn’t be an imposition, perhaps I could buy any lavender or light purple scraps you might have? I’d love to make something like that for myself,” she explained.

Dash unlocked the door. “I can certainly try, although it will depend on what orders I get.” He hung up his coat and walked into the sitting room. “Home again, home again, my love,” he said, kissing Diana on the cheek. She looked up from her book and smiled.

“And with Ksenia, I see. I was rather glad to hear you’d be staying with us a few days. It’s nice to have a young person about again,” Diana said. “What’s your favorite dish? I’ll try to have it tomorrow.”

Ksenia thought for a moment. “I don’t think I really have a favorite,” she said, frowning slightly. She wracked her memory, trying to recall something particularly tasty. “Oh! I’ve liked baked potatoes when the, uh, tavern has had them,” she said, deciding it might not be a good idea to mention the Goose by name.

Diana chuckled. “That’s easy enough, dear. For a moment, I thought you’d be asking for something fancy like a three layer birthday cake!”

“No, no, I wouldn’t want to put you out of your way - although what do they taste like? I’ve never had one,” Ksenia asked, curious.

Dash and Diana stopped and stared at her. “Well, they can be any kind of cake you want, really,” Diana answered as Ksenia wondered what she’d done to make them stare, if she’d asked an impertinent question.

“Oh, that’s nice,” Ksenia said thoughtfully. “I thought they were a particular flavor, but if they’re any kind of cake you want then what specifically makes them a birthday cake?”

“Usually the way they’re decorated, sometimes with candles,” Diana said. “Mostly it’s because someone gives you the cake on your birthday.” Ksenia nodded. “Excuse me a minute, I need to go check on the food,” Diana said, rising from her chair.

“I may need your help in the garden to hold the lantern,” Dash said, turning to the door. “Come with me.” Ksenia followed, taking the lantern he handed her while he pruned his rosebushes - with more vigor than yesterday, she thought. After he’d snipped every possible bit of deadwood, they returned to the house.

Dinner was a braised beef stew laden with potatoes and a few vegetables that had been put up last year. The vegetables had a tang from the pickling that wasn’t Ksenia’s favorite, but she ate them anyway. “When is your birthday, dear?” Diana asked, as Ksenia had just taken a very large bite of potato.

Ksenia’s eyes widened as she tried to chew quickly. “Thirteenth - of - month - nine,” she coughed, sipping her tea in an effort to clear her throat. “Excuse me.”

“Ah, already passed,” Diana said.

Ksenia nodded. “That was before Ar- er, Mister Bl-”

“Artemis is fine. My wife knows of him,” Dash interrupted.

Ksenia shot him a small smile. “Before Artemis found me and offered me a job.” She drank a little more tea. “Honestly, that’s been the best thing that’s happened to me in a very long time. I had food and somewhere safe to sleep plus the chance to work with beautiful fabric,” she added.

“Most people wouldn’t say that meeting Artemis is the best thing that’s happened to them,” Dash pointed out, smirking into his mug of tea. Ksenia rolled her eyes and smiled.

“I guess I’m an exception to the rule then,” she laughed.

After Diana shooed them out of the kitchen, Ksenia stopped Dash in the sitting room. “I have some more of the silk items to be sold; I’m almost out of fabric. Do you want me to give them to you now or wait until we’re at the shop tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow is fine. You must not get too into the habit of bringing your work home. My wife has often said she would trade back the gold it earned for the years of life it has cost,” Dash said back with a wistful grin. “Speaking of, how goes the construction of Artemis’ dream? I’ve had many promises to visit forced upon me and I must consider my schedule.”

“It’s currently - well, to be honest, he’s having a crew tear out the inside of the warehouse and reinforcing the walls. He’s hoping to get the inspection done soon, and then the crew will be adding interior walls,” Ksenia said. “He’s got the plans, which if he hasn’t shown you, he should. I got first pick, and we’ve already got a few interested crafters - leatherworkers and probably some of the crew will stay.”

“Obviously, it’s going to be a few weeks before it looks like anything, but you’re welcome to come by,” Ksenia added. The contrast between the old warehouse in the East district and Dash O’Dell’s tidy shop was comical, and she hoped he’d visit.

“If you happen to find the day of the celebration do let me know. I imagine I can spare an evening for the boy,” he said with a knowing grin. “Besides, he has a penchant for finding interesting drinks, and it has been a while.”

“Oh, he already found a barrel of fiendishly strong Dwarven brandy - or at least that’s what he told me yesterday morning. My mind is a bit fuzzy on the details after the first few sips,” Ksenia admitted. “The flavor is amazing though. Also, he’s sweet-talked one of the neighborhood women into cooking for us - I was only there for dinner and breakfast, but it was rather tasty. I’d guess she’d be cooking then, too.”

“Artemis Black, sweet talking women into cooking? Impossible.” Ksenia laughed heartily at Dash’s statement.

“You could have just stopped after ‘women’ and been equally correct,” she grinned. Dash chuckled as Diana came in to resume her reading.

That night, Ksenia curled up under the pink quilt and slept dreamlessly while Remmy kept her company, sleeping on her feet.
Word count: 2315
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Waking up for the second morning at the O’Dells’, Ksenia heard birdsong outside the window. For a moment, she thought it might be Artemis, but that was quickly disproved when she saw an actual bird singing on a nearby branch. She smiled, stretched, and got out of bed to get dressed. Remmy objected to all this activity and grumbled at her while curling into a tighter ball.

Dash knocked on the door. “Time for breakfast,” he called.

“I’ll be right there,” Ksenia answered. She ducked into the bathroom to wash her face quickly and pull her hair back. Diana had made a frittata with a thick layer of potatoes on the bottom and chunks of meat and vegetables. Ksenia had to stop herself from gobbling it up quickly; it was delicious. Diana noticed, though, and gave her a wink.

“Today’s going to be a long day if you’re planning to do all the construction,” Dash observed. “I’d tell you not to worry - although I suspect you will anyway - as you have tomorrow as well before the exam.” He sipped his tea slowly.

“I know, but I’d rather use tomorrow for any last minute adjustments or anything that needs to be fixed before the exam - or if everything else is done, I can always test myself on the terms,” Ksenia said. She chased the last morsel of eggy frittata around her plate, finally capturing it. “I’ll go get my bag and make sure I have everything I need for today.”

She ducked out to the hallway and into the room where she was staying. Checking to be sure she had all the silk pieces, she tucked them in her bag. She was down to scraps of the beautiful blue silk; while she knew that had always been the intent, she missed being able to run her fingertips over the designs woven into the fabric. Maybe she could make a coin pouch, similar to the one she’d made in apology for Artemis, for herself as a memento.

“Ready, Ksenia?” Dash asked from the doorway.

She jumped. “Sorry, yes, I’m ready,” she replied, slinging her bag over a shoulder and rushing to the door.

Dash frowned a bit. “You needn’t run like you’re off to the races, you know. A minute one way or the other makes very little difference.”

“I don’t want to make you late,” Ksenia tried to explain. “I dawdled a lot as a child and got scolded for it, so I try to be on time.” Her gaze was toward the floor, remembering.

Dash sighed with a touch of exasperation. “Children dawdle and take their time; it’s just how they move through the world as they grow up,” he said, rubbing his temple. “I take it that a certain noblewoman disliked a child being the child she was.”

“Mm. Generally speaking, yes.” Ksenia stood rigidly, waiting for them to leave. Dash opened the door, stepped back to kiss Diana, and locked it behind them. “What was it like, when Rosalinda was a child?” she asked.

Dash smiled. “She was in to everything. Always asking about how things worked and why. She enjoyed playing in the garden and going for walks, as children do, but anything mechanical fascinated her. Trains and airships especially; when we took a trip once - I think she was nine or so - she got in trouble with the engineers twice. Once for poking around everywhere, and once for asking them so many rapid-fire questions that they couldn’t possibly answer them all!” he chuckled.

Ksenia gave him a small smile. Mam would’ve chucked her off whatever train or airship they’d been on if she’d done something like that. ‘Children should be seen and not heard’ was a favorite maxim of Inessa and one that was often repeated to Ksenia. “Wasn’t she in trouble with you and your wife as well?”

“Mm? Only because she disappeared at one point and we couldn’t find her for ten minutes. As for asking the engineers, I told her to talk to them about the airship, although I didn’t expect she’d be asking questions so quickly I don’t think she stopped to draw breath. Why would I be upset about that?” Dash turned his head to glance at Ksenia.

“Because she was being noisy and calling attention to herself?” blurted Ksenia. She gulped and her face turned red; that didn’t seem to be the way Dash thought about children.

“If she’d been disrespectful, maybe, but she wasn’t. She was just an excited little girl.” Dash gritted his teeth for a moment. “I take it that was not how you would have been allowed to behave at that age?”

Ksenia exhaled. “Not hardly. Let’s see - I think I was nine when we went to Verdant Row once. I was supposed to stay scarce pretty much; she didn’t want people thinking I was going to be a burden or something. I pitched our tent, fixed tea, scrubbed her laundry, took care of myself, found an inn to give me leftovers, did some mending -”

“You and - that woman - were eating scraps?” Dash asked astonished.

“Of course not. She went to dinner with - who was it then?” Ksenia frowned, trying to remember. “I found an inn who traded me food for mending their aprons, until whoever ran it decided that they hated - her. They told the cook not to feed me any more since I was her child.” She shrugged. “I guess they figured she’d go away quicker. We did leave, but that was because whatever man she was trying to get decided to take her with him. I got to come along as her maid.”

They came to the door of the shop. Dash shoved the key in and opened the door with unusual precision. “Well, feel free to get yourself some tea before you get started. We have time.” Ksenia nodded and disappeared into the back room. She got the water boiling and prepared the giant carafe they used to keep a ready supply of tea on hand. Once it had finished steeping, she poured a cup for herself, and one for Mr. O’Dell, which she took out to the front to give him.

The mask, as Artemis called it, wasn’t up yet. Dash stood in front of his counter, palms on the countertop and arms outstretched as though he was going to push it through the ground. His face was a little red, thought Ksenia, as she set the mug down a short distance away. “Are you all right?” she asked cautiously. “You look flushed.”

He closed his eyes and exhaled. “I’m fine. It’s fine. Tea. Thank you,” he said, lifting the mug. Ksenia gave him a half-smile and gingerly patted his shoulder before disappearing into the back room.

When Mr. O’Dell came into the back room, prepared for his apprentices to come in, Ksenia was already sitting on a table, sewing the skirt seams for her dress. She looked up and smiled as he came in. “Figured I’d go ahead and get started. These skirt seams always seem to take an age,” she said.

“That never really changes. So explain to me, why did you choose the inset on the bodice? Why an inset and what is its purpose?” he questioned her, sitting on a nearby chair.

“Visual and textural interest,” she replied promptly. “Something that wouldn’t interfere with a businesslike appearance or the line of the dress but still caught the eye.”

“Good. Why the ruffle on the hem?” he asked.

“Honestly? I just like them,” she grinned. “Additionally, if I wanted to change the look of the dress, that could easily be removed and replaced with a ruffle in a different color, a guard, lace, left plain, or even hemmed shorter.”

“That’s a well-thought out answer. Sleeve caps?” Mr. O’Dell sipped his tea.

Ksenia faltered. “Um, I think they look nice?”

“You’re emphasizing the shoulders. It’s working with a perception; people with broad shoulders tend to look stronger and therefore more capable. Since this is a dress for a businesswoman, that is the attitude the dress needs to help project,” Mr. O’Dell explained.

Ksenia fished in her pocket and jotted down a note about what Mr. O’Dell had just explained. She nodded. “I’ll try to remember that.”

“Choice of color?” He fired off another question.

“Darker colors tend to be seen as more business-like, more formal. As for it being purple, specifically,” she shrugged. “Purple is my favorite color and it brings out my eyes.”

Mr. O’Dell raised an eyebrow. “I thought your eyes were blue?”

“No,” Ksenia said simply and held Mr. O’Dell’s gaze for a moment. He saw that, indeed, they weren’t blue - they were a light amethyst. Unusual, yet vaguely familiar.

“Plus I was able to get enough yardage for cheap - that’s the real motivation behind the fabric,” she grinned and focused on her sewing. She made sure her stitches were neat and even so that the fabric wouldn’t be unduly stressed at any one point. “I hope this looks as nice as I imagined it.”

“I think it will, or better,” Mr. O’Dell said. He leaned back against his chair as the first two apprentices burst in, chattering.

Ksenia had the skirt finished and was working on the pintucked inset by lunch. Mr. O’Dell had to badger her to stop long enough to eat, but she was so excited to finish the dress. Bolting down her food, she coughed at an errant crumb caught in her throat as she clambered back on the table.

“No dying on the premises,” Mr. O’Dell said wryly as he passed her. She chuckled quietly and pinned the next tiny pleat.

After much sewing - and a pause to break up an argument between two apprentices - Ksenia had the dress’s construction mostly finished. She still needed to add the buttons on the bodice and the cuffs, but it was almost done. She folded it up and was about to slide it into her bag when she realized she hadn’t given Mr. O’Dell the silk pieces.

“Where do you want me to put the finished pieces on behalf of Mr. Black?” she asked as she sidled up to Mr. O’Dell.

“Hand them to me. We’ll need to make a list, but I won’t be able to move them until tomorrow.” Ksenia fetched her bag and pulled the pile out.

“Do we have paper or a form I should fill out?” Ksenia glanced back. Mr. O’Dell handed her paper and a pen; she carefully made the list, writing in trade print and duplicating the list on another piece of paper. “One pair of paned sleeves; One belt, ladies’; a men’s hat; a wool hood with silk trim; One purse; three embroidered sweet pouches; two coin pouches.”

“I see you’re used to Mr. Black’s - preferences,” Mr. O’Dell commented, looking over her shoulder.

“It seemed best to keep things uniform,” she said, with a half-smile. “They’re the same, so one is for your records, one for his.” She handed him one of the lists. “I’m down to small scraps now, but I might be able to use them in small appliques.”

She tucked the paper in her bag and Marcy’s pocket brushed her hand. “Oh, do you think this will be acceptable for the embroidery?” she asked pulling it out. Turning it to the front, she grimaced. She’d forgotten that she’d used a scrap of the blue silk to applique a flower for Marcy. The patch was just large enough to run a fingertip over, but compared to the pinks and soft colors on the pocket, it contrasted sharply. “Or maybe not.” She sighed. “Perhaps I’d better do something else.”

Mr. O’Dell put his hand to his chin. “It’s lovely, but yes, the silk - it might not be better to put that before the examiners of House Lericryo.” He twisted his mouth into a frown. “A shame, though, it is a rather small piece. You said this was a gift?”

“Yes, for a friend of mine when she -” Ksenia swallowed. “Comes back.” She traced the edge of the bright blue applique. “She saw the fabric, thought it was beautiful. I wanted to give her a little bit for herself.”

“I see.” The front of the pocket was embroidered in flowers of every shade of pink, mint green vines twisting around and sky blue accents scattered around - with one brilliant patch of silk. On a pocket of all things, he considered. Only its wearer, or someone close to them would likely ever see it. “Why a pocket?”

“Oh she saw mine and wanted one for herself. I said I’d make her one but she left before I had a chance. Hers is much more colorful than mine,” Ksenia said, pulling her pocket from her skirt. “All the embroidery on this is plain white. That’s all I could afford when I was learning.”

“May I examine this close up?” he asked. The pocket was covered in patches of white embroidery stitches, in a variety of techniques.

“Sure,” Ksenia shrugged and pulled the tie that kept it around her waist. “Oh, the backside has stitching too. Those are all the stitches I know - I’d put them on there when I felt like I’d really gotten the hang of them.”

“Then what were you practicing on?” Surely, a woman who wouldn’t provide food for her daughter wouldn’t spend money on fabric to practice embroidery.

“My underdresses. Always handy, and if it looked horrible, no one would know but me.” She slid the folded dress into her bag. Now that the silk pieces were gone, she had room.

He turned the pocket over. Bullion roses, vandyke stitch leaves, and laid work surrounded four small sets of alphabets in the center of the pocket. “When did you make this?” he asked, a bit surprised at the sheer number and variety of stitches.

“I was given the pocket when I was seven? I think?” Ksenia thought. “I’ve been working on it since then. Thirteen years’ worth of stitches. I’ve still got a small patch here and there, but I haven’t learned anything new in a while.”

“Anyway, I have an idea for something I’d like to embroider. I’ll likely need a few skeins of embroidery silks and a handkerchief sized piece of fabric.” She stretched her arms above her head. “I think all the apprentices are gone.”

“So they are,” Mr. O’Dell commented. He handed the pocket back to Ksenia, who retied it, and began closing the shop up for the night.

Heading down the street to the O’Dells' house, Dash said, “If I guess correctly, my wife will have enormous baked potatoes for supper.”

Ksenia grinned. “I hope so! They’re delicious.” To her delight, Diana had found some of the largest potatoes Ksenia had ever seen. She’d even filled a tray with all kinds of delicious toppings. Diana chuckled as Ksenia put spoonfuls of everything on her potato and dug in with a gleeful smile.

As they retired to the sitting room, Ksenia retrieved her bag and pulled out the dress. “Is it okay if I sit right next to the fire?” she asked, not wanting to be rude.

“Yes, although I did warn you about bringing work home. That being said, it is yours anyway, so I won’t give you grief about it. Don’t stitch for too long though - the low light will strain your eyes and give you a headache,” Dash replied. He settled back into his chair as Ksenia sat on the floor.

“Did you write Soltaevar back, dear?” Diana asked, her finger in her book, marking her place.

“I did. I suggested lunch at the end of the week, and I asked if he would mind if I brought Ksenia, since we’ll likely be celebrating the results of her exam,” Dash said. Remnants jumped into Dash’s lap and circled until he found the right spot to lay down, butting his head into Dash’s hand for pets.

“That sounds like a wonderful idea. A shame I won’t get to see him this time,” Diana said. She opened her book and adjusted for the firelight.

“I’ll try next time. And I promise I will reassure him that Remmy is still spoiled and happy,” Dash said, scratching behind the ears of the cat in question. Remmy purred loudly.

As Ksenia managed to get all the buttons sewn on, all that was left was the hem, which would have to be done in the morning. She stood up, shaking out her legs, and put the dress and her bag in her room.

That night, her dreams were about Mam; the disappointment etched on her face Ksenia always seemed to occasion, Mam’s frustrated voice, the smell of Mam’s perfume, the rustle of her evening gowns and dinner dresses, the brilliant smiles she gave to her male targets, the taste of a sour mouth on an empty stomach. Remmy curled up next to her, but these dreams were not so easy to chase away. He tucked his small warm body next to Ksenia’s and tried to comfort her as she shivered and twitched in dreams.
Word count: 2967
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis stumbled into the work yard and growled in frustration as his chest twinged again. Several of the crew spotted him as he stamped into the yard and glared around at the piles of scrap wood.

“Something wrong, Boss?” Amalia walked over to ask him, her muscles tense.

Artemis snapped his gaze to her and shook. “I- she-” he couldn’t finish the words, say it out loud. After a moment he took a deep shuddering breath. “I’m angry, my everything hurts, and I might never see the woman I love again because of her pride. Help me setup a target. I need to use my knives,” he finally managed to get out while motioning at the pile of scrap lumber and planks.

Amalia’s eyes narrowed and she frowned fiercely before whipping around. “Boss needs some target practice, get off your asses and let’s get it done,” she shouted out across the hall. The crew immediately scrambled into action, grabbing scrap and moving it to line up in various places against a wall of crates they’d found in good condition on the cheap.

Artemis just stood there, trying to ensure he didn’t break down completely and feeding his anger in drips to hold back the tears. The ruckus around him suddenly died and he looked up to see Lynwood standing near him looking concerned. “It’s ready Artemis, we’re all out of the way too,” he said, moving forward and hugging the thief briefly.

Artemis looked out over the hall, there were six targets, all of different size and height, arrayed against the box wall. He shook himself to loosen his muscles and strode into a position that seemed good enough to start.

“Make sure everyone stays- back there,” he said, with only a small hitch in his voice. After a few seconds he turned around to face them, took a breath, and snapped into action.

Artemis flicked his hand and dropped a blade into his palm before whipping around to straight toss it at the high target. The first knife went wide of center but still struck, while it’s followthrough, drawn from his other sheath, hit dead center with a solid thunk. Artemis stepped and spun, ducking and weaving unseen attackers as he slid sideways. As he went he drew and tossed his knives, concentrating on the trajectory and motion he’d need to use.

As he reached the final target, one of the higher ones, he made a drop toss, falling to the floor and shooting the knife upwards at a sharp angle. It was a toss that relied heavily on a dose of luck, but was completely impossible without a good measure of skill. There was a loud clattering ping as the knife hit the target sideways before falling to the dirt.

Artemis lay on the hall floor panting heavily, completely lost in the result of his efforts. The crew held the silence for a beat and then shouted in surprise and excitement. He was suddenly surrounded by helping hands picking him up and dusting him off while a million voices peppered him with questions.

Artemis held his hands up and smiled despite his roiling emotions. “It’s not that impressive, you should see what the old guys can do,” he said to them all, accepting the minor aches their pats gave him. He felt slightly better, even if only for now. The itch was back, and he figured it was idleness so he set his features and looked at his crew. “Now, let me do something worthwhile. We’ve sent back the wagon, I may as well head into the South District and get a mount for the hall.”

The crew spread out as they saw he was at least somewhat recovered. They were making wild motions with their hands and talking excitedly among themselves now. Artemis turned to walk out of the hall and Lynwood was suddenly there in step with him. Artemis didn’t say anything to the man, simply let him walk along as he made his way into the South District to reach the stables he’d heard was running some sort of sale.
Word count: 699
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Knocking on the door, Dash O’Dell listened for sounds of life inside the room. "Ksenia?" he called. No answer. He knocked on the door again with the same result, so he opened the door.

Ksenia was balled up on the bed with Remmy tucked in tightly against her. He meowed softly as Dash walked in and sat on the edge of the bed. Laying a hand gently on her shoulder, he shook her arm. "Time to get up, Ksenia."

She groaned, muffled by the covers. "Is it really morning already?"

“Afraid so," Dash replied. He sat back. "I could just leave you here and let you rest," he suggested.

“No, no. I’m up. Just give me a minute," Ksenia mumbled. She shifted under the covers, trying to untangle herself.

“I’ll see you at the breakfast table then," he said, standing up and leaving the room. Ksenia stretched and yawned before pulling herself out of bed. Remmy twined around her ankles while she got dressed, even following her into the bathroom while she fixed her hair.

On the breakfast table, there was a plate of sausage patties and blueberry muffins. They smell amazing, thought Ksenia. She stabbed two patties to put on her plate and chose the largest muffin. The sausage had a nice spice blend, but the muffins were fresh and delicious. Ksenia tried not to make a little moan of pleasure, but it was evident on her face. "These are so good. Thank you," Ksenia said to Diana.

“Oh, it’s my pleasure. It’s been a while since I’ve baked anyway," she replied.

On the way to the shop, Dash paused. "After you’ve hemmed the dress, I think you should rest for the rest of the day."

Ksenia frowned. "I’ve got something I wanted to work on that isn’t the dress. Would that be okay?"

Dash narrowed his eyes at her. "I’d rather you didn’t."

“At least let me work until lunch?" she bargained, looking up at him. Dash grumbled.

“We’ll see."

Once in the shop, Ksenia switched into the business dress she’d been making. She stepped on the wooden box for Mr. O’Dell to pin the hem. "I’m fairly sure I’ve got the length about right. Check it please?"

Mr. O’Dell knelt down and measured the edge of the dress. "It looks correct. I would do a double hem."

“That’s what I was thinking." She stepped down and moved to the corner to change. "Shouldn’t take long." She sat on the table and flipped the hem up to begin sewing. By mid-morning, she’d finished the hem and was poking around the shelves.

“Is there a square of linen I can get?" she asked Mr. O’Dell.

He crossed his arms and gave her a flat stare. "Why?"

Ksenia bit her lip. "I was going to make a present?"

Mr. O’Dell sighed. "I don’t suppose I can convince you otherwise." He rummaged on a shelf and pulled out a square of fine unbleached linen. "What else will you need?"

“A skein of dark blue embroidery silk, if there is any," she replied, taking the fabric to the table. She folded it in half, marked it, and began marking an interior square with subdivisions.

Mr. O’Dell walked by some time later - two of his apprentices had been clashing lately and it was taking more time to redirect them. His patience for their spat was coming to an end. Ksenia was humming quietly to herself as she carefully stitched a simple alphabet reminiscent of trade print in the square frame she’d marked off.

“Dare I ask who’s the recipient?" Mr. O’Dell leaned over to Ksenia.

She blushed slightly. "I don’t think I can say." He nodded, wandered over to a shelf, and picked up a small tag with a blackbird on it.

“Would this be useful?" he said, handing the tag to Ksenia. Her face was red, but she took the tag and began sewing it on the edge of the handkerchief.

“Thank you," she said softly. Mr. O’Dell leaned against the edge of the table. "I told him I’d help him," she said, keeping her voice low so as not to attract the attention of the apprentices. "I haven’t had much of a chance, but I’m hoping as things settle down, I’ll have time to teach him."

He patted her shoulder. "That’s a kind thing to do. It bothers him, though he rarely says anything about it. The fact that you know means he must trust you," Mr. O’Dell said. He got up and moved over to help one of the apprentices.

Keeping a careful watch, Mr. O’Dell waited until Ksenia was on the last letter before calling for a lunch break. She shot him a glance and winked as she put the handkerchief away. "You’re done for the day," he said to her, pretending to be stern, but the smile in his eyes gave him awake.

“If that’s what you insist," Ksenia said grinning. "What do you want me to do after lunch, then?"

Mr. O’Dell looked around the shop, which was empty of everyone else. "One, help me with those two, they’re bickering over irrelevant things and causing trouble. It will be good practice for your duties as Craftmistress. Two, I have a commission that I can use your help on," he said. Ksenia raised her eyebrows, but said nothing.

After lunch, Ksenia was dragged away by Mr. O’Dell to work on the placement of trim on a set of animal-themed cloaks. She enjoyed combining different embellishments and talking about the affordability and the feasibility of various methods.

At one point, the two troublesome apprentices had gone missing, and Ksenia went to find them. Knowing they liked to loiter in the alley behind the shop, she headed to the back door. She hoped the two hadn’t progressed from words to fists.

Opening the back door, she heard a soft moan. Her head whipped around to spy the two apprentices kissing each other aggressively, their hands roaming each other’s bodies. She stood with her mouth open for a second, then closed it with a snap. Her face red, she clapped her hands loudly. "Can you not!” she said, in a tone much louder than her usual.

As they scrambled apart, she trained a glare on both of them. "I don’t care what you do on your own time, but when you are here you are supposed to be professionals, and I expect you to act like it. She crossed her arms over her chest. "Do you understand?"

“Yes, Miss Ksenia," they mumbled, their faces red and voices jumbled.

“Go inside, and I don’t want to hear another cross word - or anything less than professional - for the rest of the day." She snapped her hand out, pointing. They scurried in the door and Ksenia paused a moment, before she snickered at the absurdity of it all. Mr. O’Dell would have to be informed, but she suspected beneath his professional displeasure he would be as amused by the utter ridiculousness of his apprentices.

They closed the shop quickly that night, going home to a dinner of thick potato soup that Diana had created. Sipping a cup of chamomile tea, Ksenia curled up on the sofa and read that evening, coming to the end of her book of folktales. "Which one was your favorite?" Diana asked, looking up from her novel with a knowing smile.

“I enjoyed them all - I think I liked the one about the enchanted peafowl sisters and the dragon best," Ksenia said, flipping through the book. "The prince’s tenacity and quick thinking helped him triumph."

“It’s a rather different sort of tale, isn’t it?" Diana said, nodding her head gently.

When she laid down that night, Ksenia’s thoughts raced. She didn’t know exactly what would be asked on the exam, or if the proctor would be prejudiced against elves, or if they perhaps thought her dress wasn’t enough evidence. Remmy came in, chattering softly, and hopped onto the bed. He rubbed his head on Ksenia’s face, distracting her. She chuckled at him as he tried to squirm under her hand for pets; she obliged, scratching the spot behind his ears that he liked best. Sighing as he purred his enjoyment, Ksenia dropped off to a sound sleep. Remmy meowed silently before moving to curl up on her feet, purring softly.
Word count: 1447
NPC
Character
I could be anybody!
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Bard

Post by NPC »

(This is in response to Artemis' post here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=216#p1734.)

---

You know what they say: "Word travels fast."

And indeed it had for one of Fellsgard's many stables. By the time Artemis and Lynwood had reached their destination, nearly every mount had been rented or outright purchased in light of the news that there was a sale going on. The aftermath of the sale did give the stable hands time to clean out the stalls, lay down fresh bedding, scrub buckets, and all the other miscellaneous tasks that were more tedious when he barn was occupied by countless animals.

Beyond the sounds of cleaning, as Artemis and Lynwood stepped foot into the stables, it was a relatively quiet. The sun shone down, warming the air despite the threat of a cold winter coming up. Close to the entrance, a teenager named Patrick was leaning over a giant tub, washing a multitude of buckets, scrubbing any bits of food out of them. His face and clothing were splotched with dirt from cleaning tasks and his hair was in a bit of disarray. Patrick had been trying to get done as much as possible in comparison to the other stable hands.

When he noticed them, Patrick lifted his arms out of the sudsy water and extended a palm towards Artemis and then Lynwood.

"Welcome, good sirs!" Realizing he was trying to shake their hands with a soapy grip of his own, Patrick blushed and then turned to rinse and dry his arm. "Sorry about that. No doubt you're here because of the sale?"

Patrick bit his lower lip, revealing a slight overbite, and titled his head to look up to the ceiling as if in thought. After a short spell, Patrick dipped his head and let out a sigh of relief.

"We've had a sale recently, something our boss called 'Obsidian Midweek Special'," Patrick said letting out a snort as if he thought it was a dumb name. "Unfortunately, most of our horses have been rented due to the news getting around the city. However, I think we have one beast available." Yes, Patrick had used the word "beast" to describe a mount. "If you fine gentleman would follow me, I think you'll like him just as much as a horse."

Patrick led Artemis and Lynwood down to the end of the stables. The two men couldn't tell what was in the stall yet, as this division was built with high walls and was very wide. There were very loud breathing sounds coming from inside though. A few feet away, Patrick lifted his hand to stop the two men.

"He just needs a bit of space. Let me go get him."

Disappearing into the stall, Patrick eventually came out and led by a rope a moose a little over seven feet tall. The moose sported an impressive set of full-grown antlers and had an earthy, brown colored coat. The moose wore its head high in very proud or curious manner as it approached Artemis and Lynwood. Once within reach, the moose leaned forward and gave Artemis three great big sniffs then licked his cheek, leaving a slimy wet trail (and some food particles) as if accepting the boss of East Hall.

"This is Sir Francis de Eradrald the XII... the Moose," Patrick explained. "Really gentle and loyal creature, but I hear he can run up to 37 miles per hour when properly motivated. He hails all the way from Domrhask. Apparently, the Dwarves were too short to use him as a mount. But with a bit of help," Patrick gestured to Lynwood then Artemis, "I'm sure you two can get on him just fine. So, what do you think?"
Word count: 621