Look to the East [Completed]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: Look to the East

Post by Artemis Black »

“Right, don’t break anything. Have fun Kessy!" Artemis half-shouted and waved excitedly. He’d gotten permission, they could be as loud as they wanted. "Hannah!" he raised his hands out as the Kerasokan woman returned with a tapped barrel and set it down on the table edge.

“Three measures each is the Foreman’s orders. Not to be given to the Craftmistress all at once, and not a drop more no matter what Boss promises, or does with his hands," she said matter-of-factly and winked at Artemis.

Artemis drained his cup of ale, burped softly, and held it out to receive his measures. "I’ll take mine and Dáire’s. Likely retire, long nigh-day and all that," he said with a barely restrained eagerness. Hannah rolled her eyes and carefully distributed six measures of the deep amber liquid into Artemis’ cup.

“Get on then, so the rest of us can have some space to breathe without catching the way you’re drooling," she said with a playful shove. "You may as well drain the tea too, you eager bastard," she added before taking another offered cup and pouring out the measure of drink to hand to Amalia. "While Boss is busy, care to play with your own elf?" The sailor asked the other woman. Artemis missed the reply as all his attention shifted to the ranger.

Dáire grinned wickedly, rising to his feet and more than ready to move on with their night’s plans. Wrapping an almost possessive arm around Artemis’ shoulders, he tugged the man to his side, moving them both away from his guests and party-goers.

“If you hear any shouting, stay away," Artemis said over his shoulder before he nestled further under Dáire’s embrace. "This is going to be so much fun," he said much softer and shivered. The pair half-hobbled their way to the trapdoor, the closeness of their bodies making any sort of normal walking difficult.

Artemis fumbled with the latch for several annoyed seconds before it relented and popped open. He lifted the door and made a sweeping motion with his hand. "Make sure the way is clear, cundo. I will watch the backside." Artemis leaned around Dáire to start his solemn duty early.

Dáire chuckled low and sultry, the man’s antics were only heightening the bone deep desire he had for him, a desire that had only continue to mount with each passing interaction of the day. Shaking his head slowly, the elf’s glossy black hair swayed rhythmically as he hopped down the stairs in a few easy bounds. He could feel Artemis’ hot gaze on him like a brand, twisting at the waist, bright silver eyes with their emerald specks sought to recapture the others gaze. "I’m almost disappointed, you didn't think to demand a strip before the show." He all but purred in the secluded quiet of the walk-way, impatiently waiting for the thief- no, his thief for tonight, to join him once again.

“This is but the appetizer, the show won’t begin for a bit longer," Artemis said, clearly a bit out of breath as he licked his lips and hopped down the hatch. He reached up and tugged the rope to pull it closed to lock. "Besides, if I got everything right at the start I wouldn’t have anything to look forward to except going again." He winked and slid past Dáire, letting his hands linger on the man before he moved them to his pocket and extracted a heavy key.

He slid the key into the lock, looked back and winked at the ranger, and then opened the door with a soft click. "Welcome to our chambers for the evening, Guardian," he said as he stepped just out of the way and motioned to the room.

The inside was slightly more organized than he’d left it. The upper bunk had been removed and placed flush with the bottom. There was now a double wide bed with a set of fleece mattresses covering it. There were several sets of sheets and pillows, clearly not made for the bed they were laid across.

The rest of the room had the boxes neatly stacked higher to fit into the smaller space as well as the rickety table and chairs moved to the opposite wall of the new bed arrangement. Clearly the crew had done more than just take down the upper bed. He wondered for an instant how long he’d spend rearranging his storage.

“We can sit on the stage, or relax in the chairs to enjoy the first sips of the brandy. I’ve got a special drink hidden away as well if this ends up being insufficient," Artemis said easily as he herded Dáire into the room, flicked open the lamp just a crack, and pulled the door shut. He locked it quickly and spun back to face his companion and friend. "Your choice."

Dáire’s gaze drifted lazily around the room as Artemis spoke, it was a small room, but tidy and somehow it suited it’s occupant he thought, Artemis hastily ushering him in before the door then swiftly being locked behind them. He smirked, lifting a brow in his characteristic expression of challenge, his eyes dancing with mirth. "Afraid I’ll escape- or that others may want to join us and divert my attention?” he said, the ever ready cocky grin returning. Normally the one to string out these games, he found impatience was now nipping at his heels.

He pulled his attention away from the ever deepening brown hues of his companion’s eyes, and pretended to consider the rickety chairs briefly, before turning back to Artemis with a rather dubious look. "There isn’t much of a decision to be made here friend."

“Oh, no choice at all?” Artemis said, placing the cup on the floor beside the bed and walking up to let his arms lazily rest on Dáire’s shoulders. "I could have sworn there was a bed and-"

Dáire promptly jerked the thief's supple body flush with his own, wrapping one corded arm around his waist and the other clasping his nape. One ragged breath later, and he was drawing Artemis in for a soul scorching kiss. His lips colliding with the young thief’s in a punishing assault, the frenzied need palpable around them as Dáires breathing came in short, sharp pants. Finally finding the strength within himself, he broke the kiss with a mournful groan. A positively sinful grin swiftly stretching his mouth wide once more. "That's what you get for being a wise ass," he teased, still not entirely releasing his thief.

Artemis gasped as the kiss was broken, his entire body shaking as he rode out the fading waves of pleasure. He groaned softly when he couldn’t quite tug away. "I can- can be a lot more if you- wannnnt meee." He shivered as the last words left his lips. Then a twinge of pain marred his face. "Damnit," he hissed, feeling his bruised ribs demanding to be recognized. "Let me… get something, and you drink some of this," he said, tugging away gently and picking up the cup to place in Dáire’s strong warm hands.

Dáire grimaced as he watched the pain wash across Artemis’ face. He’d selfishly forgotten about the man’s injury and the guilt from that fact settled in the pit of his stomach like a rock. Stepping back and dropping his arms like he’d been burnt, he released his companion and took the offered mug of liquor from him.

When Artemis was released he walked over to the crates, examining them for a marking and grinning as he found what he wanted. He scooted out a crate, second from the top, and reached into it. After a moment of rooting around that involved rustling and clinking he held up a small vial of silvery liquid.

Potent fumes hit his sensitive nose before he’d even brought it close enough for a true inhalation. It had an unmistakable homely, soothing aroma that seemed to seep into his very being. Taking a sip, he let the flavours play about on his tongue, keeping a careful eye on the rummaging Artemis across the room. The alcohol only served to fuel the fire that had ignited within him, warming him from the inside-out at an accelerated rate, while the earthy and fruity undertones helped sever some of the guilt he’d taken upon himself moments before.

“Midwife’s Helper, will keep the pain back. I think I’ll need to be gentle for a few days after," Artemis said with a triumphant grin before removing the seal on the bottle and downing the entire thing. His ribs weren’t broken, and he’d have the worst hangover of his life in the morning, but as the cool soothing settled in his stomach and radiated outward he felt the fire roiling in his chest.

“I’m going to do so many terrible and wonderful things to you cundo. You deserve to be rewarded for keeping me safe," he said, clearly firming his resolve and attempting to restore his mask of confidence as he strode back towards his guardian.

“Such wicked promises you make me, melethron." Dáire said, voice deep and playful as he held out his hand, offering up the mug of dwarven brandy to his friend. Settling himself down on the bed, he sunk into the luxurious soft mattress smiling knowingly to himself.

Artemis accepted the drink eagerly. Knowing fully how strong and soothing it could be, he took a tentative gulp and watched the elf over the rim of his mug as the soft burning moved down his throat. When he felt like he'd had enough liquid courage, he set the brandy back onto the floor and gave Dáire an appreciative caress with his eyes.

"I am worried you don't believe me. Perhaps I can show you more of my skills while the concoction does it's work?" Artemis asked eagerly, flexing his fingers and moving to the edge of the bed. With smooth movement he slid down to his knees between his guardian's legs and grinned before placing his splayed fingers onto the man's trousers and curling them in anticipation.

Dáire’s pulse jacked up another few notches as the blatant eagerness shining through the fiery eyes of the man currently between his legs clawed at his control. Gaze locking with Aremtis’, he put two cool fingers under the man’s chin, laying a softer, more reverent, kiss upon him. Pulling back he gave an easy smile, one that made him look as young as the human before him, "I’m yours to do with as you wish in this."

Artemis felt the warmth of the brandy and soothing cold of the potion combining in his chest. He felt the heat of Dáire's lips and the cool comfort of his strong fingers on his chin. He even felt the heat in his ears at the open permission tingling across the cool worry of his thoughts. There was always this moment of concern mixed with excitement. To be accepted, wanted, needed, it tugged at his very soul.

“As you say, Guardian," he let out in the faintest whisper as his hands crept forward along Dáire’s legs. He reached for the bindings and took full advantage of his professional skill to still his hands from shaking with overflowing desire. He was clean, precise, and quicker than he expected. His fingers fumbled as the final button released with a pop.

To view this content, you must log in.  ]
Smouldering green flecked eyes locked with those of the elfs chosen lover, the silvery depths seeming to glow from within as he took in the man before him once more. He couldn’t recall the last time he’d felt like this; for when he affectionately took in his satiated and content looking friend, the compulsion to leave that had always followed- was now absent.

Loosening his grip on this thief’s hips, he allowed himself to slide free with a deep sigh. Rubbing the red marks left by his fingers tenderly, Dáire remorsefully acknowledged that they would most likely bruise. Dropping down, he crawled up the length of his lovers body, bracing himself on his elbows as he brought his face low enough for their lips to touch if only he moved forward that little bit more. A wickedly lazy smile twisted his mouth as he spoke, "And you say we need practice melethron. I must say, I’m more than a little eager to see what you believe we are capable of doing together."

Artemis wrapped his arms around his ranger’s back and pulled upward to meet his lips in a long slow kiss. When he finally broke he simply let himself fall back to the bed with a idiotic grin. "There’s always more to learn when it comes to art," he said softly, caressing Dáire’s face.
Word count: 2189
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: Look to the East

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt a deep contentment as he lay in Dáire’s strong arms. He wasn’t sure he ever wanted to leave, but he could also feel the remains of their first coupling dribbling from several places. "Guardian, I think… I think we should perhaps sneak a second bath," he said softly, nuzzling against the elf’s chest and stroking his hand slowly along the man’s abdomen.

Dáire snickered, "Come melethron, let me bathe you this time." He sighed, not really wanting to move from the comfort he’d found in this moment; he was enjoying the affection Artemis seemed only too happy to give to him. His body felt heavy, overly relaxed as he rose up off the bed, twisting to pull Artemis up with him. The poor man was right, he thought as they stood, they both were sporting more than one substance that was best not spread around the sheets too much. "Think they’re still partying up there?”

“I can only imagine so. Perhaps I will take a peek, and if the way is clear… or…” Artemis half-rolled out of the bed with a grin on his face. He moved to his crates, the soft smack of his feet on the cool stone loud in the small room. "I know it’s here somewhere-" he rummaged through several boxes quickly before making a soft shout of triumph and pulling a large, densely folded blanket from one of the middle boxes. "It will be horribly scratchy, but we can both easily fit beneath it to get inside the bath, then use towels on the way back," he said with a grin, holding the blanket over his head.

Dáire smirked, "Well weren’t you well prepared." Taking the large blanket, which was indeed going to itch a fair bit on their inconspicuous dash to the bath, and draping it around his shoulders like a cloak. "Come, melethron, I do believe that brandy is calling for our swift return." He grinned at the thief, opening his arms wide as if to offer an embrace, the edges of the blanket clutched tightly in his hands.

Artemis chuckled and slid into the scratchy enclosure. "There’s a lovely cognac as well. I think I’d like to wipe away the memory of its acquisition tonight," he said as he shivered against the warm press of his lover’s body. "Let’s try not to fall over first," he added as he took an experimental step. They had some slack to play with, but it was going to be an interesting walk across the open hall upstairs.

The statement was delivered so nonchalantly, but obviously held weight and it made Dáire instantly curious; but he wasn't going to push, he knew all too well that there were some memories he’d rather wash away than share. The urge to encircle the smaller man in his arms when the shiver reverberated into his own body was a tough one to resist. Steeling himself, he handed over the edges of the blanket to Artemis as they began forwards awkwardly. "If we fall you’re screwed, my grace only applies to when I’m upright." he said impishly, only half serious. His bigger worry was treading on him, his much longer legs unaccustomed to such short, stifled strides.

“My experience begs- and begs some more, to differ," Artemis replied, nuzzling his head back into the man’s chest as the shuffled forward. "Take more outward strides, I can roll back and forth some easily enough and you won’t have to act like you’re in heels."

“Insatiable." He chuckled, the change in gait indeed bringing him much closer behind his accomplice in the cold hall waddle. The cold floor bit into the soles of his feet as they went, winter cold seeping into the very earth already it seemed.

What had felt like a short stroll earlier that evening now felt like twice the distance. "Ready?"He said, grinning down at his friend as they eventually reached the base of the stairs.

“To watch you from behind as you lead the charge? Always," Artemis said with a broad grin, wiggling his way around behind Dáire and giving his cheeks an appreciative squeeze. "When you get to the top, just sort of hang out above the ladder and I’ll climb you like a tree," he added with another loving pat.

Dáire sighed and shook his head wryly, "The elven archer leading the charge?"he said, looking over his shoulder, forgetting that the blanket now concealed his lover, the fiend feeling him up again. [speech]"You’re a slippery one aren’t you? A tree, right. Let us see you climb this oiled up tree, melethron,"[/speech] he grinned to himself as his put foot on the first rung of the ladder.

“I’ve got a lot of practice climbing slippery poles, I think I’ll manage, but make sure to catch me if I should get distracted," Artemis said, making sure to get a long appreciative eyeful of his ranger’s underside.

The top of the ladder was in easy reach of the unlocking mechanism for the trapdoor and, even balanced on a rung, Dáire was able to release the latch and crack open the door. Immediately the distant sound of celebration echoed into the underground hallway. There were no people in the hall, though it looked as though someone had refilled the bath given the steam wafting from the secluded area.

“All looks to be clear, my liege," he said in a mocking tone, one he’d heard the city guards use on occasion with their superiors. "However, we may have company awaiting us." The smile he was sporting leaking into his words as he climbed out of the trap door, hovering at the edge to once again encircle Artemis in the blanket.

It felt surreal to be in such an open yet enclosed space at night, faint candle light flickered against the wall nearest the bath and a single strong beam of moonlight shone through a window high above them, the contrasting warmth of the light pleasing to his sense of balance. Although most of the thief’s crew seemed to be outside and content to stay there, the doors stood ajar, salty sea air seeping through on a frosty draft and licked over any flesh left exposed as he waited.

“Well, I do love company, and as long as it’s only crew I can get away with it, I imagine," Artemis said, clear distraction in his voice as he watched the particular motion of ladder climbing before moving to slowly make his way up as well. The heavy wooden rungs felt strange with the hint of oil on his hands, but given they were new, there was little chance of slipping.

When he reached the top he looked up and noticed Dáire was smiling down, facing him. He grinned wickedly and placed a hand on Dáire’s leg, waited a moment for the elf to brace himself, and then clambered up with a leap to bypass the legs of the man and squeeze firmly around his middle, his legs wrapped just over the hips, his arms over the elf’s shoulders. He cooed softly, laying his head against the ranger’s neck and wiggling his hips. "I think perhaps next time you can just have me like this."

Dáire chuckled, the sound echoing through the thief’s ear as he was enveloped by Dáire’s steady embrace, the itchy blanket too; although Dáire was sure they were both just as keen as one another to discard it. He allowed his cheek to fall against the top of Artemis’ head as he kicked the trap door shut behind them, "You need only ask it of me." He said softly.

Long, smooth motions of Dáire’s legs took them ever closer to the steaming bath in the far corner, the ranger clutching the smaller man to his chest. It felt infinitely more intimate to the ranger than the activities they’d just left behind them had, another layer of trust, another layer of his emotional armour being chipped off. The thought both exhilarating and terrifying all at the same time. His heart clenched painfully. No. You need this you fool, stop running.

His train of thought was broken abruptly as he and his passenger rounded the corner and drifted into the small secluded area behind the bath. His gaze meeting with that of the other elf he’d been introduced to that same evening, sitting in the lap of a much larger woman. The human, he thought her name was perhaps Amalia, had her eyes closed and her lips pressed to the other woman’s neck.

“<<Well, hello there, Oromatsile. Care to join us for a bit of fun?>>” Hannah asked in a pleased purr as she stroked Amalia’s exposed back. Artemis lifted his head and made a soft noise of interest but otherwise remained nestled against his protector. Amalia seemed uninterested in anything beyond the red-skinned elf’s exposed skin.

As surely as his thoughts had been interrupted, his steps faltered at the sight; he shouldn't have been surprised given what they'd have likely gotten up to if left to their own devices; but he hadn't been prepared for it in this moment.

He smiled indulgently at the fire-kissed elf, amused as she laid out a snare that had likely worked countless times before. "<<While other nights I may have jumped on such a tempting offer, I'm not sure I wish to share this night.>>” All the while he was subconsciously tightening his grip on the man wrapped around his middle as he spoke.

“Who’s there, Guardian?"Artemis said softly, squeezing his arms at the tightening grip. "It’s okay if you just drop me in, I’ll figure myself out," he added somewhat sleepily, losing his fight against the pull of Dáire’s warm chest and beating heart.

“<<Oh, he’s gotten you wrapped up already then? Perhaps I misjudged my chances for the man. He did seem like he would have been terribly good fun,>>” Hannah said before putting a hand to Amalia’s cheek and pulling the woman into a deep and vigorous kiss. Amalia gave back as good as she received and even growled faintly as her hands started to rub at Hannah more actively.

Smirking knowingly to himself, he acknowledged that she was right, on both counts."<<Afraid so friend, you were a little too late on this count.>>" Looking down at Artemis he smiled, the blossoming affection would have been clear to anyone who cared to notice. "Hannah and who I think you called Amalia," he said back just as softly as the question that had been posed to him. Eyeing the steps leading into the baths critically, but ultimately deciding they should be sturdy enough, he ignored the two women’s activities at the other end and discarded their blanket as he crested the top step, slipping down into the waters.

The contrast of the fiery water’s embrace and the cool lick of the early winter drafts which they'd just left, stole the breath from his chest a moment. The heat however was most welcome, seducing him into a drowsy, boneless state as he settled him and Artemis down at the other end and found himself reluctant to loosen his grip on the man. He sighed, long and deep as he closed his eyes momentarily, head lolling back on his shoulders.

Artemis groaned softly as the heat embraced him. He nuzzled Dáire’s neck again before slowly working to get himself more in the water. "I need to wash," he said into the ranger’s ear as he wiggled his way downward. He settled his way to the bottom of the tub, but still touching his guardian as much as he could. With slow lazy movements he began to clean himself. "Hello Hannah, oh, good for you," he said when he finally processed what had been said to him and who they shared the bath with.

“Don’t get too greedy with the eyes," he said grinning and wagging his finger at the sailor woman. "You’ve got a joiner, she’s strong and good with her hands. I’ve got a cundo, who knows all the things he needs to do to use me up." Artemis said as he scrubbed at his stomach and returned to nuzzling Dáire.

Having begrudgingly let him put space between them, Dáire used the opportunity to efficiently rid himself of the slippery oil that still lingered on the surface of his skin with solid, practiced sweeps of his hands. Satisfaction and a quiet joy radiated through his veins like liquid sunshine as Artemis rebuffed the elf, unaware of the similar words Dáire had already spoken. He couldn't help but re-encase his thief within his arms, as he nuzzled at his neck once more. Cundo, he called him, and right then, he felt like he wanted to live up to the title.

Taking a deep breath, he focused on formulating words that may make sense to people other than his foggy thoughts. "Are you finished yet, melethron?"He said, finger-tips playing with the damp hair curling at the base of Artemis' nape.

“Yes, Taynacd [Dearest]," he said pressing back into Dáire’s hand and using a word he knew Robert saved for Marcy in their quiet moments. "You can take me back now, and lavish me with more of your delicious warmth and I will regale you with drink and song." Artemis waved languidly at Hannah and Amalia. "Make sure she’s back safe in the morning, or I’ll hunt you down," he added with a small yawn as he wrapped his arms back around the ranger.

Laughing quietly, he rose from the water with his thief in his arms, water cascading off their bodies in a noisey rush. He suspected the other man knew naught what the word meant but the endearment still rang true in the softly spoken syllables. "I think if we give you more drink, you’ll be falling asleep where you are before long dearest."he whispered into his ear, shuffling them over to the edge, "Have fun ladies," he said over his shoulder before sitting, and then dropping them off the other edge, his legs smoothly absorbing the impact. The movement was much less graceful that he had accomplished earlier, but still effective.

Artemis wasn't exactly sure what was going on. He was so tired, so very tired, and everything felt so warm and comfortable. The alcohol had reacted strongly with the pain suppressant and as the adrenaline of sex faded his body decided he needed to finally rest. The beat of Dáire's heart was like a gentle song rocking him to sleep. Then he heard a very important word and snapped partially awake. "Dearest, lover," he said faintly, tilting his neck to expose it for feeding on fading instinct.

Snatching a few towels from the opened crate he’d seen Artemis root around in earlier, totally unaware of the man’s reaction to the endearment, he gently wrapped one around the man’s shoulders and just held onto his own as he made swift progress across the open expanse of the hall, eager to be out of the nipping night air.

Artemis yawned slightly as a towel wrapped around him. "Mhmmm, need… more kisses Taynacd," he said faintly, turning his face slightly to press his lips weakly into his ranger's neck. "I can get down the ladder," he added as the thought occurred to him, not certain where they actually were.

“Persistent little human aren’t you?"he teased, as he strode up the trap door, loosening his hold on the very sleepy sounding thief and allowing him to slide to the floor, feet making only the barest noise as he landed. Fatigue was closing in on Dáire like a freight train as well; he hadn't let himself relax on the journey back, nevermind the degree to get the truly deep sleep his body was demanding of him, but that and all the problems with The Hart felt like years ago in this moment.

Artemis felt the slow drop and managed to wake up enough to get his feet under him. He moved to crawl down the wooden ladder slowly, giving no regard to his absolute nakedness. When he reached the bottom he shivered slightly and started towards his room out of habit. When he got to the door he reached for his pocket, smacked himself in the stomach lightly and grunted before pulling the handle and pushing open the door.

Artemis trudged inside, stopping only to bat at the lamp to close the shutter. When he reached the bedside, bumping into the now double-wide frame, he grunted again and grabbed at his sheets, flipping them aside. He then half-fell onto the bed before scooting his way towards the wall and holding his arms out. "Warm, come, kisses," he said with a soft yawn while making slow grabbing motions with his fingers.

Dáire followed after his thief in a blurred sense of curious amusement. His movements those of well established habit but slow, lacking the practiced grace that usually seemed his innate nature. Dáire winced visibly as his lover walked into the solid wooden frame, the knock no doubt throbbing and liable to leave yet another mark on his soft skin. Closing the door gently behind him, he drifted over to the big mattress, a soft indulgent grin splitting his face as lowered himself down beside his clingy thief. "So needy," he chuckled as he came within reach of those talented hands. Propping himself on an arm, his body flush with his lowers, he trailed cool fingers down the soft skin of Artemis’ cheek in a slow and reverent caress.

Never could he have imagined he’d end up here when he first returned to a city he just short of despised; or when he met the guarded, prickly lover of his newly made friend either. "You’re the most welcome surprise I’ve had in decades." he whispered, the admission coming out soft and a touch wistful before he moved in for a slow kiss, full of the unspoken adoration now growing within his chest.

Artemis purred and nuzzled against his source of warmth as soon as the Kerasokan hit the bed. He sighed in contentment when Dáire's hands held his face. "Best birthday, ever," he breathed faintly as he recovered from the loving kiss. His hands began to trail along his ranger's back entirely unbidden. Though the medicine blanketed his mind like an oppressive fog, he still felt the need to reaffirm his appreciation.

Dáire smirked, even half asleep his thief was looking for more. "Melethron, if I were to let you do that you may not wake for a week afterwards, and it would be an awful shame to waste all those long nights, no?"Gently, he removed the wandering hands from his body, his mind wandering as he looked over the face whose eyes seemed to become heavier by the second. "Come," He said, loudly enough that it seemed to jerk Artemis back to some semblance of awareness. Holding an arm up, he gestured from the thief to face the other direction, "let me hold you; I promise not to allow anything to get to you while you sleep."

Artemis felt his awareness snap back into focus as Dáire spoke loudly and with authority. He shivered, eagerly rolling over to nestle his body against the large and warm chest and arms of the man. "You promise, Taynacd?"he asked softly, just before his eyes closed and his breathing became faint. His sense of time faded, everything stretching and melting against the firm muscles of his guardian.

Pulling the thief close against him, Dáire felt content, "I promise." he whispered, kissing the nape of the man’s neck softly.

Artemis felt himself drifting in blackness and opened his eyes. He could see the infinite expanse all around him, feel the golden light he knew would be beneath his feet if he bothered to look. He was dreaming again, and all the more aware of it this time for some reason. He glanced around, seeing the shattered remains of the path, scattered and floating in place all about. The chunks of obsidian still glinted with golden veins and he still felt the tug of his tether, though he could no longer see it.

He saw the cloud of roiling ash, or perhaps frost, pulsing angrily in the distance, drawing ever closer to consume him. He saw the distant, but still blinding, gate of silver light, though he heard no voices. He saw the scintillating mass of colors, more than he could possibly imagine. Finally he looked down at himself and say the faint after image of golden hands, encasing him, keeping him aloft when he could not do so on his own.

He frowned, noticing the hands faded even as he watched. There was a loud snapping sound, like a chunk of ice violently falling into place. Artemis looked to where the sound had begun and saw the cloud of anger roiling forth at a terrifying pace. He had no armor, no weapons, nothing to protect or halt what he instinctively knew would be his death.

Then they were there again, the golden hands. He looked down, feeling their warmth spread through his chest. There was only one pair this time, strong and large, but strangely slim. Another much fainter pair of silvered hands rested on his shoulders, though he could barely see them in the glow of the gold. He raised his face and stared at the oncoming cloud of frost. He would face it, and instead of weakness it would find his fire, his fury, and his golden light. He barely noticed the tickle of wind ruffling his hair as he raised an arm to stem the oncoming tide.

Artemis shivered and moaned in fear, his body tightening and beginning to cramp as his dreams met with exhaustion and consequence of medicinal misuse. He was sweating, his entire body far too cold and far too hot in the same moment. He reached out, searching for Ksenia to comfort, but his arms found nothing but more open space.

Dáire couldn't have said what it was that woke him, the sudden sense of wrongness that landed atop him like an icy bucket of water, the violent shivers that ricocheted into his own body or the panicked moans that accompanied them. Whichever the cause, he was wide awake within moments, "Artemis, melethron, what’s wrong?"He managed to say, concern lacing every word as he stroked the distressed humans hair and face, acknowledging the sweat coating the man’s skin with a fresh wave of concern. Icy fingers trailed a path down his spine and the thief began to squirm, arms trying to grasp out in front of him.

“I’m here melethron, be calm, nothing here will harm you." he cooed with effort, trying to keep his tone as soft as possible and continuing the gentle stroking in a desperate attempt to sooth whatever horror had upset his lover so.

Artemis shivered again, before sighing deeply and pressing backwards against Dáire. "Safe," he murmured faintly before entwining his arms even further and curling his legs upward. His breathing slowed and his fear quieted, Artemis Black fell back to sleep in his Guardian’s arms.

Word count: 3981