Look to the East [Completed]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: Look to the East

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis’ eyes went wide as the moose approached him. When he was sniffed, and apparently deemed worthy, he grinned. With a wipe of his face to clear the spittle, he bowed from the waist to the beast. "Sir Francis de Eradrald the XII, I welcome you to my family," Artemis said with all the nobility he could muster. He then rose and motioned for Lynwood to bow as well.

The tool master chuckled and did the same before looking to Artemis. "I guess we’ve got some work to do on extending a bit of the Hall then. No way his excellence will fit anywhere we’ve got now. What about that front shop, near the barrel. Could turn the barrel into a trapdoor then build a tack and feed storage, extend things out from there."

Artemis liked the idea and turned to Patrick, comfortable they could accommodate Sir Francis well enough soon. "I’d like to make a purchase of supplies you think necessary for two weeks, and hire someone to come teach a few folks how to properly care for Sir Francis de Eradrald the XII. Does he have any sort of tack or saddle, or is that something I’ll need to commision?” Artemis asked the man, preparing to layout the coin necessary for now and work to find a saddlemaker later if that was needed.

“He’ll need a saddle made, we’ve got some simple ones if you were renting, but the rush has been so much we don’t have anything left to purchase or loan," Patrick replied. "I can check and see if our usual saddlemaker has some time and put him in touch though. Beyond that, I’ll mark you up for the supplies. We can drop them off tonight, and I can come out in a few days and teach whoever you want for a couple of silver. Where are you at?”

“13 North Rigging, and that all sounds good. For now we’ll simply have him inside the Hall while we get the stable built."

After some more back and forth Artemis paid Patrick a sum significantly more than he’d expected. It was still well into what he could afford, given he was using O’Dell’s loan payments for investment. With the transaction complete, and a bag of brushes and carrot treats in Lynwoods hands, Artemis moved over to Sir Francis to accept the lead rope. "Well then Your Excellence, let us return to the Hall and get you all the lavishing you deserve," he said with a careful pat on the moose’s shoulder.

The walk back to the hall was one filled with surprised gasps and pointing from people on the street. Every time they came up on someone, Artemis prepared for the requisite shout of confusion or alarm as they realized it was not a draft horse approaching them. When they walked into the workyard the children playing came to a jerky halt and pointed.

As the rushed over Lynwood stepped out and stopped them a distance away. "Careful now, he’s a noble creature, you don’t want to surprise him," the toolmaster said, catching the attention of several adults and the crew. Lynwood explained the process to the children, and selected several at random to offer tribute of carrot.

One by one the children approached closer, bowed, welcomed Sir Francis, and waited for the snuffle and lick of approval. The approval always elicited some form of shout of joy and head pats. All the children that had treats offered them up and giggled as Sir Francis carefully lifted them to crunch happily. Then came the adults and crew. Interestingly they seemed more wary, perhaps it was the lack of childlike wonder.

It took several hours for everyone to welcome Sir Francis. There was a break to give him water from a trough, coordinate his temporary pen, and collect any of the neighbors who were around but not actively watching the yard. In the end Jacobus pulled Lynwood aside and worked with the crew to draft a plan for the construction of the extended stable and removal of the hidden passage barrel.

By the time everything was finished Patrick, and two other young men, arrived with a heavy wagon loaded past the brim with supplies. They checked the pen, approved, and dropped off all of the supplies behind a box wall so Sir Francis couldn’t see them. "This will work, and you’ve got a good plan it sounds like. Feeding him goes like this," Patrick said, spending the early evening teach Artemis and anyone who would listen. The stablehand made sure to reinforce that feeding should be coordinated. If the moose was getting snacks and extra food he’d eat them out of Hall within the month.

In the end Artemis offered dinner to the stable hands and worked with the neighbors to figure out who would be receiving the full training in a few days. "Could I ride him with a basic saddle for a bit? I might have a need to move quickly before the saddle can be finished," Artemis had asked at one point.

Patrick had thought for a moment and nodded. "I suggest you practice a bit, but he’s a proud one and part of that is being easy to ride if he trusts you. Don’t rig him to a wagon or anything until you’ve got the right gear though."

At the end of the night Artemis gave Sir Francis a vigorous brushing that ended with him receiving a number of licks after the moose spun and settled onto the floor of his pen. Petting and brushing the animal was calming, like a great proud force of nature protecting you. Artemis almost forgot his worries about Katarya by the time he was ready to fall asleep.
Word count: 980
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia felt the rays of the sun creep through the window and over her face. Sliding out of bed, she found her best - well, now second-best - dress and slipped it on. Her stomach grumbled, both from hunger and nervousness. The exam was today.

Dash knocked on the door. “Ksenia?” he called.

“Yes? I’m up,” she replied, opening the door. Dash had dressed a bit nicer today, she noticed. She looked down at her blue wool dress and gulped. “Are you sure this will be acceptable?” she asked, sweeping her hand over her dress as she straightened herself subconsciously.

Dash quirked a brow at her sudden shift in demeanor and looked her over. “You’re fine. They’ll be looking at your skill. If it would make you feel more prepared, feel free to ask my wife if she can braid your hair or put it up for you,” he replied.

“Perhaps,” Ksenia said thoughtfully, chewing on her lip. She did want to make sure her ears were covered, as a precaution; having her hair up and secured to cover her ears would look more professional and prevent accidental exposure. “That’s an excellent idea. Where would I find her?”

“The kitchen, as usual,” Dash replied. “It is time for breakfast after all.” Ksenia followed him into the kitchen, where Diana bustled about, taking a muffin tin from the oven as they walked in.

“Good morning, dear. I made you more muffins,” Diana said with a grin. Ksenia’s eyes lit up; yesterday’s muffins had been one of the most delicious things she’d tasted. A moment later she schooled her features; tamping down on any extremes of emotion was one of the many things Mam had harped about.

“Oh, I hope this isn’t too forward of me, but Mr. O’Dell suggested I ask you for assistance in braiding my hair, or arranging it somehow,” Ksenia said. “Would you be so kind as to help me?”

Diana blinked and quirked her head at Ksenia, not expecting the sudden shift in demeanor. “Dear, has something gone wrong?” she asked moving toward Ksenia.

Ksenia blushed and glanced to the side. “I’m terribly nervous - about the exam - and I’m worried that I’m not dressed nicely enough or someone will harass me because of my ears or - something,” she blurted out. “I don’t want to mess this up!”

“Oh dearie,” Diana said as she wrapped Ksenia up in a motherly hug. Ksenia tensed, her features in a rictus for an instant before she suddenly relaxed. She melted a bit into Diana’s arms and the woman held the hug for just a touch longer, stroking Ksenia’s back slowly. She stepped back, taking Ksenia’s hands in her own loosely. “From everything Dash tells me you’re beyond prepared, and you’ve done all that without pretending to be something you’re not.”

“I-I know,” Ksenia mumbled. “But I don’t want them to know I’m nervous. It’s less scary to put on a mask than let them see,” she said softly. She squeezed Diana’s hands lightly.

“Dash calls his a dress dummy. Something he prepares and sets out before his customers. I’ve had to shove it off him several times early on. You’ll learn to build your own and be able to step from behind it one day too.” Diana released Ksenia’s hands and waved her to sit at the table. “I’ll get you your breakfast and then go grab my combs. Sweet nectar or Rain on the plains for the perfume?” she asked, moving to the stovetop and placing a pair of muffins onto a small plate.

“Um. I’m not sure - I guess whichever would be more business-like?” Ksenia said, a touch confused. Mam hadn’t really used perfume in her hair, or at the least, hadn’t had any for Ksenia to use on her.

“Are you looking to seem more demure, or going for a touch of exotic. What’re you doing with your lovely ears dear?” Diana asked as she placed the muffins before Ksenia and began to move towards her bedroom and supplies. She stopped to offer her husband a kiss as he settled down with his own muffins.

“Oh. Covering them definitely, so more demure, I suppose,” Ksenia said. “I don’t want the examiners to think badly of me just because of my ears. It’s easier to hide them.” She picked up a muffin and deliberated for a moment, before taking a huge bite out of the top. Dash chuckled as he watched her cheeks bulge slightly like an over-enthusiastic chipmunk.

Coming back with her combs and tools, Diana tapped Ksenia’s shoulder lightly. “Try to keep your head still, but let me know if you need to move.” She ran the comb through Ksenia’s hair, making sure there were no snarls that might interfere. Starting at the center of Ksenia’s forehead, Diana began working a braid that curved around Ksenia’s face and draped lightly over the tips of her ears before continuing to the nape of her neck. Ksenia pinched bites of muffin and lifted them to her mouth, trying not to move, but also hungry.

Diana repeated the braid on the other side. Holding the braids from each side, she combined the strands to make one large braid that continued to the end of Ksenia’s long hair. She started to coil the braid, stopping periodically to push a hair pin into the coil and hold it flat to Ksenia’s head. As she finished the bun and secured the end, Diana moved to the side, checking that the braid was in place. She slid a bobby pin or two behind Ksenia’s ears to make sure the hair stayed in place. “Almost done, dear. Just the scent is left.”

Ksenia brushed her hair with a careful fingertip. “It feels secure. Thank you, very much,” she said, smiling at Diana gratefully. Diana squeezed the outside of Ksenia’s shoulders.

“Finish your muffins and I’ll put it on before you leave,” Diana said. She gathered her combs and tools and left to put them away.

“My wife used to do Rosalinda’s hair for her often,” Dash said smiling. “I think she misses it, some times, and the braids she’s done for you frame your face nicely.” He took a sip of his tea. “I must admit, I did admire that braid you had when you brought Artemis’s lady back for measurements. Where did you learn that?”

“I didn’t - Artemis braided it for me, since he needed me to go to the elvish tavern and we wanted to make sure that they’d let me in,” Ksenia explained. Dash raised his eyebrows.

“Really? I’m not sure why I’m surprised, but somehow I wouldn’t have imagined hairdressing as one of his talents.” Dash set his cup down. “You don’t need to rush, but we need to leave fairly soon so that we have time to go by the shop.”

Ksenia popped the last bit of muffin in her mouth and washed it down with a sip of tea. She ducked into the hallway and grabbed her bag from her room, checked her hair, and made sure she was ready before waiting in the sitting room. Diana came in with a small bottle. “Cover your eyes, dear,” she warned. Ksenia did as she was told and felt a light mist settle on her head and shoulders. The scent was subtle, and a bit odd. After a moment, she had to admit it did remind her of fresh rain during the harvest season.

Hearing Dash coming to the door, Ksenia stood up and hugged Diana carefully. “You’ll do well, dear, don’t worry,” Diana said softly.

“Thank you,” Ksenia replied in a whisper. She followed Dash out the door and onto the street.

“I’m leaving the apprentices in charge for the day. Let’s hope it’s not a tangled mess at closing,” Dash said, shaking his head slightly.

“Oh, it might be better than you think, now that those two aren’t snipping at each other any more,” Ksenia responded.

Dash sighed. “Indeed, but now I get to worry about other sorts of trouble they could get into.” Ksenia snickered at that admission.

When they reached the shop, one of the apprentices was already there, waiting. Ksenia moved around, opening windows as Mr. O’Dell gave his instructions to the apprentice. Once done, Mr. O’Dell and Ksenia began the walk to House Lericyro.

The imposing stone facade outside House Lericyro made Ksenia feel small and beggarly. Mr. O’Dell patted her shoulder, and she straightened her back, remembering his and Diana’s words of encouragement. He wouldn’t have brought her if he wasn’t confident she would pass.

Stepping inside, they asked directions of a receptionist at a grand oak desk just inside the door. She pointed them to an office upstairs and down the hall. Once there, Mr. O’Dell approached the much smaller, but significantly more ornate desk.

“Good morning, I am Master Clothier O’Dell,” he said, removing a small golden pocket watch from his waistcoat and opening it to present to the woman. She smiled up and examined the watch carefully for a brief moment.

“How can I help you today Mr. O’Dell?” she said with a professional smile. Ksenia noticed the woman hadn’t even glanced her direction; likely there was a good deal of training to be the face of House Lericyro.

“I have a protégée who is looking to receive her West District accreditation and license. She has no prior attempts and I will be paying the fee,” he said back, equally professional in his tone and expression.

“Excellent, may I take your name?” the woman asked, her attention now shifting to Ksenia.

“Ksenia, ma’am,” she replied. The woman picked up a form from a sorter on her desk. She set it to face Ksenia and jotted down a note on something before ringing a small bell. A youngster in uniform approached the desk and the woman handed him the note she had written. He nodded and scurried off.

“Surname?” the administrator added, looking back to Ksenia.

“It’s just Ksenia,” she replied. Not exactly the whole truth, but close enough, she thought. The woman made a mark on the form.

“If you change your name at all in the future, please come by and inform us. Your registration must stay up-to-date,” the woman said. Ksenia nodded. Picking up the pen, she grinned to herself as she filled out the form in neat trade print. As she started to sign the bottom, she caught herself about to use the flourished version she’d learned as a girl; pausing, she signed the bottom with her new, simpler signature.

The woman nodded and dusted the signature lightly with sand before returning it to rest in front of her. “If you change your signature we can also keep multiple copies on file,” she said as she looked to an older looking woman approaching from down the hall.

“Proctor, this is Ksenia. She will be taking the West District examination and has the backing of Master O’Dell for acceptance of apprentices should she provide sufficient results,” the administrator said and motioned to Ksenia with her hand. Ksenia curtseyed to the Proctor as she stopped.

“Wonderful, hello dear. I am Proctor Mayra. If you’ll just both follow me we can get into the fun parts,” the woman said with a much more warm and welcoming form of greeting than Ksenia expected. She turned and started to head back down the hall after the briefest smile to Mr. O’Dell.

The Proctor stopped before a heavy cherrywood door and inserted an ornate key. There was an audible click and the door silently swung open to reveal a decadently furnished examination room. The floor was heavily carpeted and a large felt covered table dominated the center of the room with some sort of optical apparatus hanging from the ceiling just above the table.

The five chairs spread around the room were heavily stuffed and covered in detailed needlepoint patterns. On the far wall was a pair of massive windows letting in a monumental amount of sunlight. In one corner of the room, a clearly hand-painted silk screen provided a private changing area.

“Please, have a seat near the examination table,” the proctor said moving to an ornate dresser underneath the table and beginning to remove a collection of measures and other implements. Mr. O’Dell pulled the door closed with a quiet snick and gently ushered Ksenia forward.

“Oh, Dash, how long have you had this one in the works?” Mayra asked over her shoulder as she made minute rearrangements of her implements.

“Not long, surprisingly. A few weeks of tuition was all she needed to polish up for the exam,” Dash replied. “It’s lovely to see you again, Mayra. I’ll have to tell my wife I saw you today; you’ll have to come by sometime.”

“Ah, a diamond in the rough, then? How unusual!” Mayra remarked. She sank into a chair covered in geometric designs and gestured to the other chairs before her. Dash chose the chair decorated with a design of roses, to no one’s surprise, and Ksenia found one stitched with songbirds. As she sat, Ksenia noticed the chairs were perfectly stuffed, being not too soft or too firm to be comfortable. Despite the comfort, she forced herself to sit up straight and not slump into the chair.

“What will we be looking at today, dear?” Mayra asked as she settled back into her seat.

“I have an aubergine wool dress, designed for a businesswoman,” Ksenia said, reaching into her bag. She pulled out the dress, giving it a gentle shake before spreading it on the table. “I am the model for the dress.”

“Oh excellent, I was somewhat worried you were going to force me to poke and prod at the Master here,” she said with an easy chuckle. Ksenia bit back a nervous retort; she didn’t know this woman and really didn’t want to be touched right now.

Mayra smoothed the skirt, touching the ruffles as she moved. “So tell me about this dress, from top to bottom. I’d like to know why you’ve chosen the embellishments and the reasons behind your design elements.”

Ksenia relaxed a fraction; they’d been over this before. “Starting with the fabric itself, wool is a warm and durable fabric. This is approximately suit-coat weight; the hand allows it to drape slightly while maintaining its overall shape.” Mayra hmmed and nodded along, moving her fingers deftly to tug and touch at any seams and details as she followed along.

“I chose a darker color to project a more authoritative manner. The choice of color was to cater to the wearer’s preference; as I made the dress for myself, I chose a color that brings out my eyes and that happens to be my favorite,” Ksenia explained. She moved to the top of the dress on the table.

Mayra smiled and looked away from the garment to make a detailed inspection of Ksenia’s eyes before nodding. “It certainly does dear, a good sense of color,” she said before returning to the magnified garment.

“The collar is taken from menswear, and is designed to complement the business-like aesthetic,” Ksenia pointed out. “I’ve added a pintuck panel here for visual and textural interest, as well as emphasizing an area that the wearer was concerned needed enhancement. As an inset, the pintucks don’t interfere with the line of the dress, and as an element often seen in formal dress, enhance the intended look.”

“How much of that is your doing, Dash?” Mayra asked, following a pintuck with her fingers.

“Exactly none of it,” Dash said back, grinning when Mayra looked to him with clear surprise.

“I can see why you’re calling her a protégée then, if she has this sense for color and understanding of elements you prefer,” Mayra said before motioning for Ksenia to continue.

Ksenia pointed at the buttons. “I’ve chosen self-colored buttons to blend with the fabric color. There are five on the bodice, and one each on the sleeve cuffs.”

“This will need minor reinforcement if you plan to use it regularly,” Mayra said, motioning to one of the sleeve buttons. “Perhaps something a bit stronger to keep it held, the way it lies will stress the thread often.” Ksenia nodded, making a mental note. She’d run the thread around the stitches holding the button on, but there might be a better way to reinforce the attachments.

Ksenia moved her hand to the shoulders. “The sleeve caps are slightly puffed to emphasize the breadth of the shoulders without adding unnecessary bulk or padding. This is an element inspired by menswear, but unlike the collar, which is almost identical to a man’s shirt collar, I chose to interpret this as a softer, more feminine style. The intent is to project an air of competence and professionalism; however, it is still a dress and
I wanted to maintain some sense of femininity.”

“A good concession to the intent without heavily sacrificing form,” Mayra nodded, fluffing the shoulders somewhat roughly before checking along the seams.

“The sleeves are long for warmth and protection from any dangers I might be exposed to, as wool is a self-extinguishing fabric,” said Ksenia. “I’ve made the cuffs to fit snugly at the wrists, but the sleeve itself is loose enough that they can be rolled to the elbow without stress to the cuff or fabric.”

Mayra nodded and added, “A good choice for its secondary benefits without being overly heavy.”

“Another element that combines professionalism with femininity is the attached self belt here,” Ksenia touched the waist of the dress. “There are ties in the back to accommodate some change in shape, as the degree of cinching can be adjusted easily.”

“Always an important consideration in both business and women’s wear,” Mayra noted as she adjusted the belt back and forth.

“Now as for the skirt, the length is practical for warmth and protection, like the sleeves. As for the ruffle embellishment, this is a feature that can be easily swapped out for other options, such as a guard, lace, another ruffle in a different color, removed entirely, or hemmed shorter.” Ksenia ran a fingertip over the edge. “And honestly, I like them.” she said with a small smile.

“Customer consideration is critical and can easily be included with such features,” Mayra said giving Ksenia a smile. “I also like a good ruffle, it just feels pleasant the way it sits and moves.” Mayra picked up the dress and unbuttoned the bodice before flipping the dress inside out.

“Oh, nicely stitched seam treatments, that gets overlooked so often,” Mayra said, holding the dress up to her face. “Good finishing techniques are often so critical but not always taken seriously.” She laid the dress down and pulled the optical device to rest above the fabric. “I see your pintucks have been slipstitched down; a nice touch. No basting threads left on the sleeves - looks like some reinforcement on the button placket, very good - the collar seam is very nicely covered,” Mayra noted, poring over the dress. “How long did you spend on this piece?”

“I started working on it - five days ago, I think. That’s when we took measurements and I made the toile for the dress form,” Ksenia explained.

Mayra stared at her. “You had to create the dress form toile too? Knowing Dash you were forced to sleep reasonable hours and take meals too. Very impressive.”

“Thank you,” Ksenia replied a bit softly. “Mr. O’Dell has been incredibly helpful this past week. He and his wife allowed me to stay at their house, so that I could focus solely on sewing and studying.”

“And you’d not made something like this for him before? I’m not surprised, but he certainly must be happy to see such speed,” Mayra said, giving Dash a knowing wink.

“No, the only other work I had completed was entirely small items, accessories and the like. I’ve done a bit of work for myself and my friends, but nothing like this in a professional capacity.” Ksenia figured she could brush the construction of the servants’ outfits into the category of ‘unofficial work for friends’. “I’ve assisted Mr. O’Dell and his apprentices with ongoing orders as needed. I’ve learned so much working in the back room with everyone.”

“Ah, the taskmaster took advantage of your time while you were constructing this. Shame on you Dash, for tossing her into the deep sea so quickly,” Mayra said, shaking her head with a soft chuckle.

“I prefer to think of it as extensive on-the-job training in a professional setting,” Dash smirked. Ksenia chuckled silently; she would have been bored not jumping in immediately.

“Now, let us have the garment on the model. There’s a screen over there to change behind; do you need any help, dear?” Mayra indicated the corner that was screened off.

“No, I should be fine. Besides, having a businesswoman’s dress that required assistance to put on seemed more than a bit foolish,” Ksenia said with a wry smile.

She took the dress and ducked behind the screen. There were hooks along the wall, and even a mirror hung on the inside of the screen, so she stripped off her blue dress and hung it up before pulling the aubergine colored dress over her head. She wiggled into the bodice, adjusting and tugging at a few spots to settle the dress into the proper position after she’d buttoned it. With a final glance to make sure the back of the dress lay nicely, she stepped out into the room.

“So, what’re you paying her, because she’s clearly doing more for you than her instruction would cost,” Mayra said, eliciting a hearty chuckle from Dash.

“She raids my embroidery supplies from time to time for ‘personal projects’,” Dash replied, the smile still clear in his voice.

“That was once! Wait, maybe twice,” Ksenia said, walking toward the two Masters with her hand out in protest.

“Well, it looks good in righteous indignation,” Mayra said, rising and pointing for Ksenia to stand in the open area of the room. “Here please, and we’ll begin the second part of the inspection.”

Ksenia stood where she was directed. “Is there a preferred pose?”

“Just stand with your arms relaxed for now,” Mayra said, walking around her slowly. “I’ll move you if I need.”

Ksenia swallowed. “I don’t wish to be impertinent, but please just ask me to move if you need,” she said to the proctor.

“Understood. Is this a personal concern, or a larger problem?” Mayra asked, her voice suddenly much more serious sounding than before.

“A personal concern; she has no trouble dressing and measuring a client,” Dash replied immediately, his own voice also equally measured.

“Acceptable, and thank you for the warning. Left arm out, relaxed raised please,” Mayra said, her voice regaining some of its relaxed undertone. Mayra had Ksenia take a number of different positions, inspecting seams and the lay of the fabric. Ksenia started to feel like she was back in one of Mam’s impossibly fussy dance masters’ classes. Thankfully that had been a short spell.

“Should I pose in arabesque next?” Ksenia asked jokingly.

“If you want, certainly. I wouldn’t start anything you aren’t willing to continue though,” Mayra replied with a grin. Ksenia considered for a moment, then adjusted to take the dance pose.

“Sur les demi-pointes, s’il vous plait,” Mayra instructed. Ksenia complied, rising to the balls of her feet with a slight wobble. “En l’attitude.” Ksenia glanced over at Mayra, a confused expression on her face.

“Back leg bent,” explained Mayra. Ksenia bent her knee slightly but tried to keep her leg in the air.

“Pirouette?”

Ksenia brought her arms and legs in before shifting to stand on one leg. She tried to turn but ended up losing her balance and stumbling forward. Pulling herself back into position, she managed a slow, wobbly revolution before she had to put her foot down for balance.

“And curtsey?” Ksenia breathed a sigh of relief and sank into a low curtsey before rising.

“Now, I was at the wedding, and I know Dash certainly didn’t teach you that!” Mayra chuckled.

“Thankfully, attaining my master qualifications did not require me to dance,” Dash said with a smirk.

“Oh, speaking of, you’re welcome to change back dear. Do you like tea? Or something stronger perhaps?” Mayra asked Ksenia, moving towards the door.

“Tea is fine, and I’ll stay in my dress,” Ksenia replied. She retrieved her blue dress from behind the screen and put it away neatly in her bag.

“I suppose you should, to celebrate. A moment then, I need to collect some forms,” Mayra said before ducking out of the room.

Ksenia sank into her chair, a little light headed from the exertion and nervousness. She looked over at her mentor. Dash O’Dell was beaming, his face split from ear to ear as he looked at his student.

“Unless I miss my mark, she’ll want to see your embroidery for the specialization, but otherwise we’ll move onto the apprentice questions,” he said, his grin not wavering in the slightest. Ksenia dug out the handkerchief she’d embroidered yesterday, but Dash shook his head. “Use the pockets instead.”

“Even with the applique?” Ksenia asked, concerned.

“I wouldn’t worry about it, the piece is small and that sort of resale happens all the time with scraps and remnants.” Dash said just before Mayra came back. She was carrying a tray with a tea set and three cups. She set the tray down on the table.

“Help yourself to some tea,” Mayra said, waving a hand in the direction of the cups. “Now, what do you have here?” she asked, leaning forward to inspect the pockets.

“Oh, this is some of my embroidery work,” Ksenia replied, handing her the pocket she’d made for Marcy. “This is a gift for a friend.”

“Oh goodness, where are my manners. I forgot to ask if you wanted a specialization. Was this the sort of thing you were interested in?” Mayra asked as she picked up the pocket and held it under the magnification device. She spent several moments looking at the work before leaning well away and taking a slow sip of her tea.

“The detail is very fine, how much training have you had? It seems much of it lacks a single consistent style in creation, but the resultant work is high quality.”

“I-I really haven’t had much training,” Ksenia stuttered. “I’ve learned a stitch or two from a number of different people, here and there, throughout my childhood.” She looked down at her pocket, with its myriad of stitches. “I can show you everything I’ve learned, though.” She handed her pocket to Mayra.

“Goodness, this is a lot, and I can certainly tell the divisions between styles. You must have this back now, lest I talk both your ears off, but I would enjoy discussing it further later. My own specializations include embroidery. Perhaps when Dash has released you from his clutches we can meet for tea and I can show you some methods to unify your work and any stitches you might not have gathered,” Mayra said, smiling and returning the pockets to Ksenia.

“That would be lovely,” Ksenia said, with a small smile.

Mayra pulled a small form out from beneath the tea tray and began to rapidly notate it. “You’re not hiding any other talents of the fibrous nature are you dear?” she asked as she moved down the form marking, checking, and scribbling.

“Just sewing and embroidery,” Ksenia replied. “I didn’t really have supplies or teachers for anything else.” Her hip felt odd without the weight of her pocket in its usual place. “May I be excused for a moment? I just, well, I feel underdressed without my pocket,” she said, blushing a bit. “I’ve had it since I was seven, and I wear it every day.”

“Oh, of course dear. The exam is finished now, don’t wait on my account.” Mayra said, waving her off as she continued to move down the form. “I’ve no need to ask you all the silly questions, Dash wouldn’t have allowed you to come if you couldn’t recite them back.”

“What do you think Dash, the full complement of five right from the start? It’s not often, but if she can wrangle with you…” Mayra said, looking to her friend.

“If you’ll promise to come for dinner soon, I see no reason to decline the responsibility,” Dash responded with a mirth-filled chuckle.

“Five it is, and do give Diana my love,” Mayra responded, making one final note on her form. “I’ll go hand this in and then come back to give you the news,” she said, rising and taking one last sip of her tea before she left the room.

Ksenia sat, dazed for a moment. She’d passed - not just passed, but apparently with distinction. Her pocket slipped from her fingers and landed on the floor with a soft plop.

“Give it a few moments, it’ll take days to fully set in, but the first shock is the worst,” Dash said, placing a hand gently on her shoulder as he leaned down to pick up the dropped fabric.

“I-I passed, though? That’s it?” Ksenia squeaked as she looked at her mentor.

“You did, and you’ll be granted the full five apprentice slots if you wish to use them,” he said placing the pocket carefully into her lap. “Feel free to dance or shout or whatever you like. The rooms are padded and the carpets thick.” After a breath he added, “Though do save some for Artemis, I’ll feel awful if I take all the celebration out of you now.”

Ksenia put her face in her hands, trying to absorb the enormity of what she’d just accomplished. “Thank you, for all your help, and Diana’s…” she trailed off and opened her arms. “May I?”

“Of course,” Dash said, standing from his chair and holding his arms out as well. Ksenia rushed into the hug, tears starting to fall. She sniffled, trying not to get either of them mussed up. Dash’s return hug was fierce and seemed to contain the sort of squeeze only a loving parent could offer.

She laid her head on his shoulder for a second. “I never thought - how lucky I am that I stopped at the Goose that day,” she said, softly, rambling a bit.

“You’ll have to tell me the whole story with the boy someday,” Dash said softly, not wanting to overwhelm her any more than she already was.

“I will. As much as you want to hear. I can’t promise to drag Artemis, but I’ll try,” she said, straightening up.

“Oh come now, he can’t resist a pretty face, no matter the one it belongs to. I’m certain you could convince him to share all his secrets,” Dash said with a chuckle at the thought of Artemis attempting to hide things from her.

Ksenia laughed. “Maybe, maybe not. The question is, do I even want to know all his secrets?” She sniffed, smiling. “I know there’s a number of things he doesn’t share, but there’s things I don’t either,” she replied. Composing herself, she walked over to the screen to tie her pocket back on. “When are we meeting your friend for lunch?”

Dash slipped out his pocket watch and considered it for a moment. “We’ve an hour and a few coppers left,” he said, returning the piece to his waist coat. “No rush, and the place is rather close. This is where all the important people come after all.”

“That’s fortunate,” she said, reappearing and smoothing her skirt down. “Much better. I feel dressed now, at least.”

“I certainly understand,” Dash said as the door popped open again and Mayra entered.

“I must offer my sincerest congratulations Journeyman Ksenia, protégée of Master O’Dell,” Mayra said, coming over to offer a silver watch to Ksenia. The back was inscribed with the crest of House Lericyro in fine detail surrounded by small etchings of needles and thread.

“Thank you,” Ksenia replied, taking the watch. “It’s beautiful.” She slid the watch into her pocket; she could feel its weight against her thigh.

“It’s not required, but it is common to seek a smith to engrave something onto the inside of the cover,” Dash said to her, showing his own inner lid with a small poem signed by his daughter. Ksenia ran a careful fingertip over the engraved words with a soft smile.

“I’ll have to give that some serious consideration,” Ksenia said. “I don’t know what I’d ask for, really.”

“There’s no rush, and no sense in picking something simply to have it,” he said back. “Now then, we should probably go back to the desk and finalize the payments and paperwork. It’s been a pleasure Mayra, do get in touch soon,” Dash said, taking the woman in a brief hug before turning to Ksenia and motioning towards the door.

Ksenia followed Mr. O’Dell back to the desk. More forms to fill out, but they were done in a relatively short amount of time; relative, that is, to the slow-grinding wheels of bureaucracy.
Word count: 5709
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis’ eyes opened to see a vast swirling mist. He looked down and saw the obsidian path with it’s fine spider web of golden cracks. He looked at his body, and saw that he was as he perceived himself. ‘This is a dream, but why am I-’ he thought before a deafening thunder roared in the distance. Wind rushed past him as he fell to his knees, his hands trying to block out the sound as more thunder echoed.

"Righteousness does not belong to you alone, Artemis Black." The words reverberated across the empty space. They came without a voice, without meaning, and Artemis cowered at their ferocity. Then as suddenly as they had come the wind and thunder faded.

Everything grew still and cold, tendrils of frost began to drift along the obsidian, the gold veins losing their luster as the ice settled over them. Artemis looked around in terror as the frost continued to inch towards him. He knew without knowing that to touch the frost was to invite pain and suffering.

There was a loud cracking, like the shatter of a frozen lake, and suddenly Artemis was falling. The path was gone, he saw it above him breaking into pieces as the ice grew and cracked. He fell, not knowing what to do, or when he would hit something and be ended.

Then there was a light, brilliant and golden, shooting up beneath him. "My son, you are strong and brave just like your father. We both love you so much. You're legacy is the stars, know that nothing can ever take that from you." He saw his mother, smiling down at him at their table. He remembered this, crying when they’d heard his father’s ship was lost. His fall slowed and the vision began to fade. The last thing he saw was the glint of silver on his mother’s ear.

Artemis snapped awake and shot up in bed. His head bounced off the upper bunk and he hissed in pain before falling back to his pillow. "Fuck you," he said, punching at the wood of the higher bunk ineffectually. "I’m going to have them take you away and shove you into a corner," he added, promising banishment to the uncaring wood.

Grunting in satisfaction at sufficiently cowing the bunk, Artemis rolled out of bed and shuffled over to uncover his lantern. He dressed slowly, trying not to think about the evaporating wisps of dream he’d been having. When he was done he looked down at himself and frowned. "I still look like a two-copper drunk fisherman. Need to definitely get clothes made," he said, picking at his shirt before letting it fall back onto him. "At least it covers the knives well."

He stepped out into the hall and moved up the stairs. When he reached the top he froze, seeing Sir Francis and breaking into a grin. As he approached the great beast Sir Francis swung his massive head around and made a low wailing growl.

“Good morning to you as well, Sir," Artemis said, patting the beast on the neck and scratching at his nose. "Would you care to take me around a bit? I could use the practice and it might be fun before the sun really comes out."

Sir Francis snorted and then began to rise to his full, and terribly impressive, height. Artemis nodded to the mount and attached the lead rope before unlocking the pen and guiding him out into the workyard. Outside the cool morning mists had yet to dissipate and Artemis felt a deep chill run through his bones.

He guided Sir Francis out into the center of the yard and looked around. He wasn’t certain what to do with the lead, but he needed to get some boxes or something to even reach the back of the animal. After a moment's thought he set the lead down and looked to the moose. "Stay here, I’ll be right back," he said, nodding slowly as he spoke.

He moved off towards the pile of scrap boxes outside the Hall. When he looked back to check on the mount he saw Sir Francis watching him but remaining in place. He grabbed a pair of crates and walked back to put them on the moose’s left and form a simple step. With a careful step and hop Artemis settled down onto Sir Francis’ back.

The mount gave a snort of annoyance and turned his broad neck to look back at his ‘rider’. "Apologies Your Excellence. I promise a proper saddle will come as soon as it can," Artemis said back, patting the beast’s shoulder. "Now, do you work like a-” Artemis started before his gentle press of legs made Sir Francis jerk forward suddenly.

Artemis let out a strangled yelp before he adjusted his legs to recenter himself. "So like a warhorse then," he said, leaning over to take the lead just in case. He spent several minutes slowly guiding Sir Francis around the broad open workyard. He was just starting to get a feel for the movement when he spotted Lynwood carrying something on his shoulder.

“Morning Artemis, I uh- I went out and got a simple saddle and gear that should fit for now, until you can get the real one," the toolmaster said, starting to blush before he held out the kit to hide his face.

Artemis carefully guided his mount over to the boxes and hopped down onto the ground. "Wonderful, help me get it on, and maybe we can go for a little ride?" Artemis said back, winking and grinning at the man. Between the two of them they were able to get Sir Francis properly kitted. Settling the two of them onto the massive beast ended up being relatively simple and Artemis enjoyed the feeling of warmth as Lynwood leaned into his back and wrapped his arms around his waist. They managed to enjoy several easy laps around the yard before the sun began to crest the city roofs.

“Let’s let him rest for now, no sense in wearing him out on the first day," Artemis said as he guided the mount back towards the boxes and got down. He turned to watch Lynwood wiggle off the tall beast and hummed in enjoyment.

They managed to get the mount unequipped and brushed down just as the remainder of the crew was filtering out of the basement bunkhouse. There were several groggy greetings and Artemis grinned at the rare chance to see the crew recovering rather than serious. He’d been considering starting a game of cards when someone shouted his name across the open space.

“Artemis Black, you’re overdue!" Robert said, his hands cupped to let his voice carry. Artemis chuckled and jogged over to the man.

“Morning Robert, here for my checkup," he said taking the ritualist’s hand in a firm shake.

“I am, and to remind you of Katarya’s debts to the Goose. Since I can’t ever seem to find the woman," Robert said back grinning knowingly.

Artemis’ features went cold immediately and his breath caught. "I worry I might not be able to help with that. We’ve had… I think… a falling out. I haven’t heard from her, and planned to visit once Dáire returned."

Robert frowned and shook his head before motioning towards a collection of crates. "Sit, let me check your bindings, and then perhaps we can discuss."

Artemis did as he was asked and felt the tingle of cold and warmth as Robert slowly moved his hands around not quite touching Artemis’ face. There was a feeling of power, and the itching he’d started to ignore grew much stronger until Robert finished.

“The knot is still solid, but you will definitely need to find someone more versed than I am. Is it giving you any trouble?"

“It itches I think, but I’ve always had that trouble with magic," Artemis frowned and scratched at his face in a vain attempt to dispel the annoyance he couldn’t quite place.

“I remember. Well nothing for that, but it should completely fade one day. Now, what happened between you and the witch?"
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 24th, 2019, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 1380
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Dash O’Dell led Ksenia out of House Lericyro’s building and down the street. “We’re just going to University Square. Despite the name, there’s plenty of people who aren’t students there as well.”

The square was large, with short retaining walls near the outside edges that served as impromptu benches for the loitering students and passers-by. Ksenia tried not to stare too much, but there was such a variety of shops, restaurants, and other buildings that everything was rather novel. “The Knight and Marquis is the restaurant where we’re meeting Sol,” Dash said. He pointed to a board set outside a restaurant some ways ahead of them. “That should be it.”

The board listed a number of entree and drink combinations; Ksenia glanced over them quickly as Dash spoke to the tall, pale Lumeacian woman who greeted them. “I am meeting a friend, a Mr. Velca - has he arrived?” Dash asked.

“He has not yet arrived. Do you have a preference on seating?” She gave a reserved professional smile.

“In the garden, if possible,” Dash responded. He turned to Ksenia. “They have a courtyard arranged as a garden, with fountains and waterfalls. I thought you might appreciate seeing that,” he said, smiling.

Ksenia grinned. “It sounds beautiful.” The woman led them to a table nestled in a quiet corner that was screened by several small trees in lavish pots.

“We’ll wait for Mr. Velca - he may ask for a Dash O’Dell; that is me,” Dash explained. The woman nodded and left. Ksenia looked around at the courtyard. The wall behind them held baskets dripping with ferns and plants with heart-shaped leaves. Scattered throughout the area were a number of additional ceramic pots with small trees and bushes; the ones closest looked like they might be some kind of ornamental tree, with glossy dark leaves.

A tall man with dark auburn hair - and very elvish ears - rounded the corner. “Sorry I’m late Dash - just got back to town, I’ll tell you about it - glad to see you,” he said in a rush. Extending his hand, the two men clasped forearms and clapped each other on the shoulder. The height difference between the two men was amusing - the elf was easily a full head taller.

“Sol, good to see you as well,” Dash said. “Did you just get off a boat and come straight here?” he asked with a smirk.

“I had to check on my cats first,” Sol said, a half-smile on his face. “How’s little Remnants doing?”

Dash rolled his eyes. “He’s being spoiled daily, I promise. He even charmed my protégée here into giving him attention.” He turned to Ksenia and waved her over. “Ksenia, this is Soltaevar Velca; Sol, this is my protégée, the newly minted Journeyman Ksenia.” Ksenia curtseyed politely.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you -” Sol began. Ksenia rose from her curtsey and raised her eyes, smiling. He stopped, staring at her for a moment. Just as Ksenia was starting to feel uncomfortable, he turned his gaze away. “I apologize - your eyes are lovely, and rather unique,” he commented. “I hope I did not discomfort you overmuch.”

“It’s not a problem,” Ksenia said a bit quickly. She sat in the corner chair she’d taken next to Dash. ‘Odd, that he says my eyes are unique - his are almost the same color,’ she thought. ‘They must not be that unusual.’ She leaned forward, setting her clasped hands on the table. “I hear you enjoy collaborating with Dash on artwork. Was there perhaps something you had in mind?”

At that moment, a dark-haired man came over to their table. “Hello, I am Archain, and will be your server. May I start the table with a bottle of wine, or any of our hors d'oeuvres? I can also list our specials for today, which come with suggested pairings,” he said, in a well-practiced tone.

“If you could regale us with the specials, we’ve had an eventful morning. My protégée here was recently elevated and we decided fine dining was in order,” Dash replied.

“Congratulations,” Archain replied with a smile. “As for the specials today, we have: Roast Stuffed Leg of Lamb with Mint Sauce paired with a full-bodied dwarven red wine, Braised Oxtails with Mushrooms accompanied by a dark rum, Roast Goose strewn with Caraway seeds joined by a pale Invidian ale, Wyvern Tail in Ginger & Cinnamon paired with Shanshun Lager, and finally Honey Glazed Carrots and Parsnips joined by a light Elven Wine.” He turned to Ksenia. “For the lady?”

“The wyvern tail, please, and could I have an herbal tea instead of lager?” Ksenia asked, politely. The trouble the dwarven brandy had caused wasn’t that far from her memory, and she didn’t want to look rude or sloppy in front of Dash or his clearly well off friend.

“Of course. Sir?” Archain turned to Sol, who chose the oxtails, and then Dash, who chose the lamb. The server slipped away to put in their orders.

“Not much of an alcohol drinker, then?” Sol commented, leaning on an elbow while looking toward Ksenia.

“Afraid not,” she said with a slight grimace. “A friend of mine came into some well-aged brandy and I made a bit of a fool of myself recently. I’d rather not repeat that any time soon!” Sol chuckled knowingly.

“So where were you traveling this time Sol?” Dash asked, turning Sol’s attention away. “Work or pleasure?”

Sol sighed, his features rearranging themselves into tired irritation. “Neither, actually. Turned out to be a pointless waste of time, but I figured I owed it to my parents’ memory.” He slouched back into his chair a fraction. “Many years ago, before the fall of Bhelest, there was a royal city of elves. My family was one of the lesser houses. When Bhelest caused the rift between the Kerasoka and the Lumeacia, the city erupted into chaos and battle, and many fled, my family attempting to be one of them. My mother and I survived and moved to Fellsgard,” he explained.

“All that is to say, some of the elders from back then decided that they needed to appoint an heir to the throne of this royal and royally destroyed city.” He snorted. “A pointless exercise, really, but curiosity drove me to go - and my mother would have appreciated that the erstwhile lord of House Velca made an appearance,” he said, waving his hand vaguely.

“The man they wished to claim as heir-apparent clearly knew nothing about any of it; really, he was enraged. Some would-be assassin shot him with an arrow, was apprehended, and then escaped. The heir turned down the position, denounced his sister, and left. Frankly, he showed more sense than the elders, so I left and offered him and his companions a ride back on my boat,” Sol finished. He toyed a bit with his empty glass.

Dash stared at Sol before bursting out laughing. “How utterly ridiculous! So you went all this way to watch people bicker about the heir to a crown that no longer exists?”

“Exactly! I even told them - well, what I thought doesn’t exactly bear repeating in front of a lady -” he nodded to Ksenia. “But essentially I said the whole thing was stupid, including my own title, such as it is.” He snorted. “My family may have once had standing there, but I live here and now. My reputation as a spice merchant is worth more than a dead city’s past accolades.”

Dash sighed. “So often people cling to their honeyed memories of the past and forget the ash with them.”

Sol shuddered. “You are fortunate the fae never dealt with the wrath of Bhelest, my friend. I still remember that pain, young though I was then.” He swallowed and pressed a hand to his chest, almost unconsciously. “The elves could never go back to what we once were.”

Dash put a hand on Sol’s shoulder. “I know. But here we are rehashing sad memories when I promised Ksenia celebration.” He gave Sol a kind smile. “Perhaps - how are your cats?”

“Oh! That reminds me, two things. One, would Remmy like a younger sibling? Claira got out and I’m going to have to midwife a cat again soon.” He sighed, shaking his head with a smile. “Two, since the elders seem so damned - sorry - so obsessed with an heir, I’ll give them one. Remember Armus?” He grinned conspiratorially.

“Your big orange cat Armus?” Dash asked quizzically. Sol nodded.

“That’s brilliant,” Ksenia laughed. The two men turned to look at her. “I’m guessing you need proper regalia for ah, Prince Armus?” She grinned.

“Exactly!” Sol beamed at her. “Let’s go all the way. House Velca colors, the crown’s emblems, headgear, a cape -”

“Will he even wear all of that?” Dash interjected. “And really Sol, for a cat? All these years, I’ve suggested making something for you in your House colors and symbols, and now - the cat?!” Dash crossed his arms over his chest and huffed in mock indignation, though the smile in his eyes gave him away.

Sol shrugged in mild apology. “I never wanted or needed it for myself - and besides, I have no children. Why not the cat?” Ksenia watched a frown flash across Sol’s face briefly, although she wasn’t sure if it was sadness or regret.

“Ah, true,” Dash said, shooting his friend a sympathetic look momentarily. “But we shall make Prince Armus the finest feline regalia any cat could wish!”

Archain reappeared with the drinks for Dash and Sol. He turned to a runner to take Ksenia’s tea. “For the lady,” he said smoothly as he set the teacup and its accompanying teapot on the table. He bowed and moved away.

Ksenia took advantage of the break in conversation to dig her sketchbook out of her bag. She flipped to a clean page and sketched out a quick cat body. “Tell me what you were thinking for - Armus, was it?” Sol turned to her, seeing the sketchbook and grinned.

“Yes, he’s a big stripey orange puddle of affection,” Sol said, scooting the sketchbook over to write Armus’s name at the top of the page. “Is this - your dress?” he asked, pointing to the facing page.

“It is. I designed it and sewed it for my exam this morning,” Ksenia explained.

“I thought that was Dash’s work! Well done then,” he said, admiring the details on the dress. “I might have to ask your help if Dash here decides to stop putting up with me.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Sol. I’ve already got my lovely wife disappointed she’s not getting to see you today,” Dash said, smirking at Sol. “I’m probably going to have to inveigle a promise to come to dinner soon or she may not speak to me when I get home.”

“Now that’s ridiculous. Anyone who’s seen the two of you together knows how much Diana adores you,” Sol commented. “But I will gladly promise dinner if you’ll come to my house in return, and perhaps I can convince one of you to take home a kitten.”

“Remmy doesn’t need siblings,” objected Dash.

“No, but I think I’ve just about brought Artemis around to the idea of me having a cat once the hall’s finished,” Ksenia spoke up. “I’ve never had a cat of my own, but Remmy seemed to like me.”

‘Seemed to like’ her, she says,” Dash said, aside, to Sol. “He slept on her bed the whole time she stayed with us. I barely got a purr out of him even for breakfast!” Sol smiled brightly.

“I’ve got a bit of time before Claira has kittens,” Sol replied. “Maybe we can meet and discuss this once your hall is built?”

“Well, it’s not my hall alone - my friend Artemis is building a freeman’s hall in the East district. I’m Craftmistress - though it’s a rather empty title until all the renovations are finished,” she replied. “Lunch would be nice, some time, I think. But first you said crest-”

She was interrupted by the servers bringing plates of food to the table. Leaning back in her seat, Ksenia waited as the server set down silverware for her. She silently blessed the professionalism that keeps a server from touching a patron; it had been a long morning already and she wasn’t sure she’d be able to restrain her discomfort if touched by a stranger.

After they were all resettled and had begun eating, Ksenia began again. “For Armus, what are the colors you’d want to use, and are there specific elements you’d want for his clothing?”

Sol chewed thoughtfully, dabbing at his mouth before he spoke. “Velca translates to ‘flame’ roughly, so that’s got to be on there. House colors are red, purple, and gold, Dash has the exact hues. As far as “royalty” specifically goes, a golden crown with four points,” he said, tossing out details as he thought. Ksenia nodded, scribbling them down in the top inside corner of her page.

“What about the house that ruled?” she asked, knowing that he intended the project as a sort of mockery.

“Foxes. House Elvalur was always foxes,” he said. “Not that I feel the need to mock the man they intended to rope into their schemes - Dáire, he called himself - but the house itself could be taken down a peg or three.”

“Dáire? Tall, dark haired, looks like he could melt into the woods and you don’t want to cross him?” Ksenia asked, remembering the elf she’d worked with on that contract.

“That does sound like a description of the man. I take it you’ve met him?” Sol said before taking another bite of oxtail.

“I have. I’ve worked with him a bit, for one of my friends. I can’t see him taking someone lying to him well at all,” she said frowning. “I hope he’s alright - you said he was injured?”

“Yes, although one of the Lumeacia healed him well enough. He was able to walk around the boat fine while we traveled. I fear he has a rough road ahead of him,” Sol shook his head. “He seemed wholly detached from everything, even his companion.”

“I’ll have to go by the Hart and check on him,” Ksenia said softly. “After I get back to the hall, maybe I can stop by.” She shook herself. “Anyway. Foxes.”

“Yes,” Sol said. He gave her a half-smile. “So perhaps a doublet of some sort, or a cape?”

“Why not both?” chimed in Dash, who’d been working away at his lamb. He sipped his wine. “As you said, you wanted to go “all out” - so you may as well.”

“Alright,” Ksenia said, sketching a quick diagram of a slightly trapezoidal cape. “So House coat of arms centered on the back here, or duplicated on right and left?”

“Let’s duplicate it, since it will fall along his sides. What about a fox fur edging or lining?” Sol suggested. His eyes sparkled with mischief, much like Artemis’s did sometimes.

Ksenia added the elements to her drawing. “I don’t think the cape itself should be too complex as it might take away from the impact of the arms,” she said. “Let’s give him a doublet with a ruffled collar, maybe with red and purple stripes and edge the collar in gold?” She scribbled a quick drawing and turned it to face Sol.

“Gold buttons too, and add tabs to the waistline. Maybe puffed sleeves?” Dash said, smiling. Ksenia nodded and added his suggestions.

“Okay, here’s what I’ve got thus far,” she slid her sketchbook to Sol, who dragged it over so that Dash could look at it simultaneously. She’d sketched an ornate doublet for the cat with buttons marching down the front. “On the back, let’s use two large gold buttons and attach the cape to that, so it won’t drag too much on the poor boy,” she said, leaning over to point out the idea.

“Excellent,” grinned Sol. “Oh, I’m going to have to bribe him with so many treats, but it will be worth it.”

“For the crown - hilarious as it might be, I think using a gold lace would be a better choice than metal. Less likely to hurt him or be too heavy. Let’s do a stuffed crown, striped like the doublet, and then I’ll encircle the bottom in the gold lace,” Ksenia described. “I can put a string on it to tie on his head, but actually putting it on him is going to be your duty alone, I’m afraid,” she teased Sol.

“Oh, but you must see him model the finished work! I insist,” Sol replied. He grinned at his newest co-conspirator. Ksenia gave him a polite smile, a tinge of wariness creeping into her thoughts. She didn’t actually know this man. After a moment’s thought she decided perhaps he couldn’t be all bad if Dash was so friendly with him.

“Well, maybe there could be an evening of it - Da - er, Mr. O -” Ksenia stumbled.

“We’re not really ‘on business’ Ksenia,” Dash chuckled at her. “It’s fine.”

“Thanks,” she said, with a gentle smile. “So, have Dash and Diana and myself over and we can witness Prince Armus’s grand procession to the food bowl.” She winked at them before suddenly brightening with a laugh. “Oh, he must have a banner for the bowl too!”

Sol let a grin split his face before laughing loudly. “Yes! Mayhap I should even hire a musician or two to play the processional,” he chuckled.

Dash put his head in his hand, resting his elbow on the table. He shook his head slowly, smirking. “Sol, my friend, I’d told Ksenia how much you enjoyed commissioning works of art, things of beauty instead of the fashionable twaddle. Yet here you are planning a royal outing for your cat!”

“I trust Armus’s regalia will still be a thing of beauty and wonder in your hands,” Sol replied, his voice containing barely-repressed laughter. “Or should I ask your protégée to undertake the task?”

Dash sighed dramatically. “Such a difficult choice you ask me to make!” He laughed then, clapping Sol on the shoulder. “We could split it. I believe Ksenia has a list of interested clients, and idols know I do. I’ll take the cape. Ksenia, do the banner you suggested. Then we can decide who wants to tackle the doublet.”

“You know it’s not a rush, Dash. I’d rather you take your time,” Sol said. “I rather doubt Armus’s measurements would change any time soon, and he’s a healthy big cat.”

The server, Archain, came by then. “Sirs, madam, would you wish for dessert? We have a delicious cherries jubilee or silky crème brûlée, as well as a chocolate soufflé.” Ksenia flinched slightly at ‘madam’; that was how Mam had demanded to be addressed in public. She glanced to Dash to see how to handle the question.

“Go ahead,” Dash invited Ksenia.

“May I have the chocolate soufflé please?” Ksenia requested.

“Crème brûlée for me,” Sol said, nodding to the server. Dash shook his head. The server nodded and disappeared back into the restaurant. “Rich and indulgent, but-”

“Talking about yourself again?” Dash said lazily, sipping his wine with a smirk.

“Hey!” Sol gave him a small frown. “I was going to say I’ll have to go on the next inspection trip myself since I’ve been so sedentary lately. You’ve just demoted yourself from Prince Armus’s court, Dash. Here I was going to have you be his advisor, but I think you’ll have to be just a lord-in-waiting.”

“Oh dearie me, what ever will I do,” Dash said, holding the back of his hand to his forehead in an affectation. Ksenia tried, and failed, to repress a giggle. In fact, the more she tried not to laugh, the harder she did laugh, until she collapsed on the table.

“I may have killed your protégée, Dash. Sorry about that,” Sol said, looking at Dash.

“She’s made of sterner stuff than that. I’m confident she’ll survive even your humor, Sol,” Dash shot back. Ksenia forced herself to sit up, dabbing her eyes with her napkin. Her lips still trembled with laughter.

“Ah, she’s revived. And I think I see dessert coming,” Sol said, glancing up.

“Oh? What do you see with your elven eyes?” Dash asked, twirling the stem of his wine glass in his fingers.

“A man who’s been demoted to Jester in the royal court,” Sol immediately quipped back as the server appeared with dessert-laden plates.

Ksenia leaned over toward Sol. “Does this mean I’ll need to make one of those belled hats as well?” she asked, looking over at Dash. Sol chuckled heartily.

“Don’t indulge him too much, Ksenia, you’re still my protégée, after all,” he said, though the grin he gave her showed the words held no bite.

Ksenia smirked back at him as she cut a tentative bite from her soufflé. Delicately, she placed the small bite into her mouth and let the chocolate melt on her tongue. She sighed as the rich flavors blended and merged. “This is delicious,” she said with a small smile.

“It’s one of their mainstays here,” Dash said. “Diana’s tried, but it frustrates her every time.”

Sol cracked the caramel-sugar crust on his crème brûlée. “Some things are better left paying other people to make for you. Soufflés and this -” he indicated the custardy dessert in front of him. “Often fall into that category.”

Dash glimpsed the waiter; catching his eye, the older man signaled for the check. The waiter brought over a slim folder and handed it to Dash. Ksenia began to dig in her pocket for coins, but Dash shook his head. “My treat, Ksenia, please.”

Sol reached over and slapped down a quarter gold. “Not today, old friend.” Dash batted at him ineffectually. “I’ve had the pleasure of your company and got to meet your charming protegee, while designing something lovingly ridiculous for my cats. I must insist.”

Dash sighed at him with a faint hint of irritation. “Then perhaps I should hold you for the rest of the day, and hope your overly generous self agrees to dinner,” Dash grumbled.

“I’ll agree to dinner, but I really must check on everyone at home. I only got to see Claira for a moment,” Sol said. “Just after sundown?”

“Done.” The men shook on it, rising from the table.

“I’ll see you then, Dash, and don’t forget to warn your lovely wife,” Sol said. He turned to Ksenia. “It was really a wonderful surprise to meet you today, Miss Ksenia, and I hope to see you in the future,” he said with a slight bow. Ksenia repeated her curtsey.

“It’s been a pleasure, Mr. Velca. I look forward to meeting Prince Armus,” she said with a smile. They parted at the front door of the restaurant, but Dash stopped a moment later.

“Tell Artemis I’ll come by in a few days. I have some work that must be completed first, but I’m interested to see how things progress,” he said before turning back and grumbling softly that he hoped the apprentices hadn’t set the shop on fire.

Ksenia nodded to show she’d received the message and headed back to the East district, almost skipping with excitement. She was an official Journeyman and she couldn’t wait to give Artemis the news.
Word count: 4054
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

As they rode Sir Francis slowly through the streets Artemis felt the color returning to his face. The meeting with Katarya, and subsequent denouncing, had gone just shy of the worst possible way. All his bits were still attached though, and he had a strong warm elf behind him, so perhaps things weren’t all bad. As they took a wide turn onto another main street Artemis turned his head from his exhausted slump to look at Dáire.

“I’m so sorry if I’ve ruined things for you. I just- my mother- it was hers. The earring. She always wore it, I remember it sparkling in the moonlight on her ear. Always made me feel safe, not like- well like this,” he said flopping his arms to indicate his distress.

There was a sharp piercing cry in the air, not unlike the sound of a hawk. Artemis’ eyes went wide with fear as his body dumped adrenaline. He spit to clear his mouth again and desperately whistled out. His first two attempts were failures, one flinging spittle and the second a gurgle. His third was sharp and clear and cut off a second piercing hawk cry. “{SAFE. FRIEND.}” He gripped Dáire’s arm and lifted it into the air. “Please don’t shoot, please don’t-” he frantically muttered.

There was a moment’s silence before a more lilting call went out and a tall broad-chested fellow stepped out of an alley to jog slowly beside them. "Artemis, who is this?” Terrance said in a concerned voice.

Artemis looked to the man as he swayed in the saddle. He grinned faintly and slowed Sir Francis to a walk. “This is my good friend Dáire, he is completing a promise to help. I take it the Hawks are flying then?” Artemis said back, his voice still very ruined.

Terrance looked Dáire over before offering the other man a nod. “Yes, the Menagerie is out in force. I imagine it may be boredom, it is not often one invokes the banishment,” Terrance said back as he slowed his stride. “A friend of Artemis is a friend of mine," he said to the elf before looking back to Artemis. "Where did you get such a magnificent beast?" he asked, giving a knowing wink.

Artemis laughed and it came out a raspy wheeze. “Entirely by accident, though I hope to give them a good ride,” he said back with a shake of his head. He’d not released Dáire’s forearm, though he’d lowered his hand.
Word count: 429
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

The ride through the streets was strangely peaceful, no doubt lost within their own churning thoughts as people and buildings pass by unacknowledged. Artemis sits slouched in front of him, the colour slowly leeching back into his face and erasing the sickly pallor. Worried about the man’s ability to concentrate on not committing again, and steering the huge mount, Dáire had swiftly taken over the reins, reaching around the emotionally drained thief; caging him between his arms and avoiding any unplanned dismounts.

The eyes that met Dáire’s were haunted, loss and regret could be plainly read in the earthy brown depths as he tried to apologise to Dáire. He shook his head sadly, returning his attention to the road ahead of them as he spoke. “You do not need to apologise to me. I am done with the Hart, I just have not yet made the final cut; and I understand your loss. The dagger I gave to Kat … well, it was my sisters and holds a similar sentimental value to me. I would not have had such a controlled reaction, had I found she had so callously destroyed what had made it unique.”

The sharp cry of a bird, one that sounded predatory rang out, bouncing off the cold stone walls of the street buildings surrounding them, making the origin of the noise almost impossible to pinpoint. Dáire’s whole body tensed as Artemis spluttered in front of him on the saddle, a strangled gurgle wheezing out of him before another bird call emanated from he man. Dáire relaxed somewhat, remembering the bird calls he’d heard the thief using n other occasion, the mutterings that followed were too muffled for him to decipher as a clammy hand wrapped around his forearm, guiding it into the air.

Perplexed, Dáire’s gaze darted around their surroundings, his keen elven eyesight and hearing being put to full use as he locked onto movement from a side alley, a brawny human slinking out of the shadows and heading towards them. He sat quietly, listening as the men conversed, nodding to Terrance as they were introduced. He raised a brow at the last remark unsure if it was an inside joke between the two and unwilling to allow his uncertainty to show. However in that instant he became all too aware that Artemis still held onto his arm, his heart gave a lurch as his gaze drifted down to where Artemis still held him.

He shook his head, flicking both the wayward strands of dark hair and any stray thoughts from blinding him from the task before him. Both men uttered farewells, watching as the tall human returned to a side street and swiftly disappeared from view. Dáire drew in a deep breath, letting it out slowly as he retook the reins with both hands, now hyper aware of all points of contact he and Artemis shared. Maybe drink and a party wasn't a great idea, his mind was a mess, he wasn't acting like his normal self, no doubt the drink would go in and any sense of self-preservation would fly out the window. Just how many unspoken truths, would escape him in the hours to come.

They continued in companionable silence through the twisting streets of the city as Artemis indicated when and what way to turn. The sun already past its peak and the warmth within the blinding light, fading by the moment. The number of people dwindled the closer they got to the warehouse procured and renovated by Artemis. As they turned onto North rigging street, Dáire retracted his arms, wrapping one back around the others waist to balance himself, handing the reins back over to the younger man with the other. Certain that he would not want to return to his home, appearing to require the support of another to hold him upright in the saddle.
Word count: 658
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia rounded the corner into the workyard. Curiously, no one was out and about, but there seemed to be a gathering in the hall itself. She strode across the yard and into the hall.

The crew seemed to have constructed, and were examining, an at least three-sided wall of chest-high-stacked crates and scrap boards in various states of undress. The obvious absence of Foreman Jacobus appeared to have led the crew to explore more creative opportunities. They were so involved in their business that none of them noticed Ksenia until she was only a few paces away.

“What are you all up t- oh!” Ksenia said as she came up to the wall. Behind the wall was a large wooden tub suspended above a fire, and a mostly-naked Amalia lounging in steaming hot water. “Uh, sorry for invading your, um, privacy?” Ksenia managed as she turned away, starting to blush a bit.

“Craftmistress!” Amalia shouted, throwing her arms up and smiling broadly. “How’d it go? Did you pass, are you all official now?” The woman relaxed back into the tub but kept smiling and giving Ksenia her attention.

“Well,” Ksenia began keeping her voice neutral. “They did give me this,” she said and held up the silver pocket watch, letting it dangle from her hand. She let them stare and basked in the shocked silence for a few seconds before breaking into a large smile. “I’m officially a Journeyman now!” A raucous cheer went up all around her. There were many shoulder pats and congratulations offered by half dressed crewmembers.

Ksenia was blushing from both the compliments and the proximity of a number of bare torsos. Neither were terribly familiar to her. Looking around, she noticed there was a face missing that she’d expected to see. “Where’s Artemis?”

“You wanna get in? We were gonna have a test soak, but need to get ready for a party. Boss wouldn’t let us live down not celebrating,” Amalia said with a huge excited grin as she rose out of the water. Ksenia tried not to look as the water streamed off of Amalia, although even she had to admit it was difficult not to appreciate the woman’s appearance.

“Artemis is out on what he called personal business. He came back the day after he dropped you off looking rough and feeling worse. Gave us a bit of a knife show, then ran off and bought a moose, huge noble thing,” Lynwood said as he shrugged his shirt back on. “This morning a guy named Robert came around, said he checked out, then hung around and talked for a bit. After that the Boss talked to some kid, something about Dawre?” the last bit was a question with an attempt at misheard pronunciation. “Then he booked it out of here on the moose, haven’t seen him since. That thing is fast as hell, and just over twenty hands at the shoulder,” Lynwood added with a trace of wonder in his voice.

“A moose? And Daire’s back? Clearly I’ve missed out on a lot,” Ksenia commented. Robert being here though, did give her pause; he’d said he would check in, but still, he played with souls. Not a comforting person to have around, and one she still technically owed some clothing. Maybe she’d check in at the Goose and see if she could get him to tell her what she wanted so she could wipe that debt off her books.

“Well, I hope he gets back before too much longer. I believe you said something about celebrating?” Ksenia said with a smile. “If I leave you to your own devices, you might build us an entire bathhouse.”

“She’s on to us boys!” Kent shouted with a laugh. Lynwood reappeared with Lena in tow, the woman looking somewhat flustered, perhaps by the sloppy state of undress the crew was in.

“I’m told a celebration is in order Craftmistress,” she said, bowing her head in deference and very clearly looking only at Ksenia. “I believe I can get some ale brought over, but I’ll need help with all the chopping and such.”

Ksenia turned to look at the crew. “Alright then, who’s going to help Lena with the food? I’ll let you have first ale,” she said, grinning as she exercised her dominion for the first time. A chorus of cheers went up and Lena was hustled off by Kent, Otis, and Sid. The remaining crew looked to Ksenia for instructions and orders.

“How many tables and seats do we have? Let’s start getting those set up, and make sure Lena’s got a good sturdy spot for food. One or two of you get dressed and see if our neighbors will let us borrow theirs for a bit - and be sure to invite them to come over, littles included,” Ksenia said, thinking quickly. “We could also use some lighting, so if we have torches and lanterns we should probably get those spaced about, and anything else you can think to do.” Watching the crew scurry off, it occurred to her that this wasn’t much different than helping Dash with his apprentices. Maybe she could handle being Craftmistress after all.
Word count: 883
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis listened with sadness as Dáire spoke of his own cutting of ties, and his sister’s dagger. “I had wondered where such a weapon came from, it was a fine piece in my short views of it,” he said after clearing his throat. He felt the man shift and the tensing and relaxing of muscles as the ranger became aware of the Hawk members around them.

“You’re very warm. I feel it has helped my recovery to be protected so,” Artemis said with a wry grin as they grew nearer to their destination. He’d still kept his hand on the man’s arm, though the grip was loose and comfortable now. “I wonder how Ksenia’s examination has gone,” Artemis mused idly as they turned onto North Rigging. “I imagine the crew has already done some celebrating without us if the news was good.”

Artemis saw the drop of the reins and felt the shift of Dáire’s arms away from his sides. He wiggled slightly as the elf’s strong arm resettled around his waist and sent a shiver up his spine. ‘He’s so big, and warm, and safe,’ he chuckled softly as the thought flitted across his awareness. “I appreciate the consideration, but you’d not be the first to carry me broken to the doorstep of my home.”

He looked back and offered a grin before guiding Sir Francis into a slow passage, bouncing and pointing his hooves. The moose had displayed the particularly fancy looking movement when he was with Lynwood and shifting his legs around to feel out the mount’s responses. He imagined the training had been extensive if such a thing came so easily. If they were to enter the workyard it would be with the regality the mount deserved.

They made their way off the street and onto the rough cobble siding of the workyard with a wide and graceful turn. Artemis smiled as he spotted the crew working to set up tables and chairs with the neighborhood folks. “It seems Ksenia has beaten us home, the question being is this a lament or a celebration. Ho there!” Artemis shouted out, causing most people to stop mid action and cheer in mixed levels of enthusiasm.

Artemis guided Sir Francis into his pen and slid down off the mount to fall into the piled hay with a grunt. “Let’s go see what in the world is going on,” he said, tugging at Dáire with excitement.
Word count: 420
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Ksenia surveyed the bustling workyard; the crew was busy setting up furniture and getting more, Lena and her helpers were making food, and - was that a moose coming into the yard? She squinted and hoped that this was the new mount Lynwood had mentioned. The massive creature was practically prancing, its head lifted to regally survey the workyard. It turned into a large pen on the side, and two figures bailed off its back into a pile of hay.

Artemis snapped his head around and then stumbled, clearly not fully recovered from the days difficulties. He spotted Ksenia and his face split into a massive grin. "KESSY!" he shouted far too loudly, his voice cracking slightly at the volume. He stumbled his way towards her, knocking straw everywhere onto the Hall’s dirt floor as he left the stable.

Ksenia heard the shout and turned toward the voice - it could only be Artemis. No one else called her Kessy. She waved as Artemis started to make his way over, then began running toward him as it was obvious he was slower than she wanted. She collided with him and hugged him as tightly as she could.

He winced and patted her until she loosened slightly, his ribs were still awfully bruised from his rooftop accident and he’d not exactly been resting these past days. "Oh I’m so glad you’re here already. Did you do well? What’s the word?" Artemis asked in a rush of words before squeezing her back hard enough he had to suppress a twinge of pain.

Dáire allowed himself to be tugged away from the moose’s side, finding himself to be grinning as he watched Artemis’ face light up upon seeing the enthusiastic Ksenia heading their way, standing by as the pair embrace like good friends ought to, allowing the two to catch up without his interference as he took in the property around them. Marvelling at all the work that had evidently recently gone into the structure.

“Well, they did give me this lovely watch," she said, dangling it in front of his face for a moment. "Journeyman! And I can take up to five apprentices! Dash helped me with all the paperwork, I could take customers right now if I wanted!" Her smile was making her cheeks hurt a bit from its width, but her gleefulness required it. "We went out for lunch afterward - really beautiful restaurant - and I got to meet one of his favorite clients and we’re all going to work together!"

“Oh, that is lovely, just like O’Dell’s then, and five? That’s the most isn’t it?" he asked, holding the watch delicately, getting a feel for its weight and admiring the pleasant tick of the timepiece. "Dáire! Come over here, Ksenia’s not seen you just as long as me," he said suddenly, waving the big elf over with a laugh.

Artemis’ call brought him back to the moment, and company at hand; his head swivelling to meet the man's shit-eating grin as he held a beautiful watch delicately in his grasp. Drifting over he smiled in welcome at Ksenia, feeling like months had passed, and not weeks since he’d last seen her.

“Mine’s silver, not gold, but similar design. Glad you met up with Dáire -" she waved. Suddenly standing back from him, she studied his face, a slight frown appearing. "You don’t look well. Are you feeling okay? What happened?" She held onto his shoulders as though he might physically dodge the question.

“Ah, well, a lot has happened. We’ll not speak of her, those are the rules for the Banished. You lament the actions, not the person. I also managed to get a bit… sick. Dáire kept me safe though, in his strong arms," Artemis said, grinning and smooshing himself into the man’s chest to hug him as well.

“Banished? You mean...you broke up with her? Banished sounds a bit much for ‘we decided to go separate ways’ - what did she do, what happened?" Ksenia stared at Artemis. Her heart felt like it had decided to jump up her throat, and she wondered if his dalliance with Lynwood had been the catalyst for what had clearly become quite a bit of animosity.

“Did she try to - magic you, or something? I know that usually doesn’t do well with you, as you’ve complained before," Ksenia said, reaching to gently place a hand on Artemis’s forearm.

Dáire snorted, giving the smaller man a squeeze back before releasing him, looking to Ksenia he said, "It was all a bit explosive."

“Broke something very important," he said, muffled by Dáire’s stomach and shirt. "That counts as an attack, which breaks the oath, which means banishment. Oaths are what bind us, keep us from the rats in the gutter. To forsake them is to give up what makes use people." Only around half of the words came through completely clear. Artemis seemed to be shivering slightly and kept moving where his mouth rested.

“Broke - something?" Ksenia’s face grew red. "That absolute-"

Artemis held his hand out suddenly. "None of that, now is the time to celebrate your work, not speak of those that don’t exist," he said softly after finally removing himself from the bigger elf’s torso.

“One thing and then I’ll shut up. That person - never treated you as well as she should have. You deserve someone better. Why do you think I was so sharp with you the morning you gave Deb grief?" Ksenia said, her fists balled at her sides. She closed her eyes, almost visibly forcing down her anger. "If you want to talk later, I’ll listen, but for now -" She stopped and held his shoulders tightly.

“Do you know what the crew has built? Clearly, they can’t be left unsupervised. Come on, both of you," she said, gently tugging Artemis’s arm and gesturing for Dáire to follow. Artemis looked both amused and confused as he let himself be tugged towards the new addition to the center of the Hall. The box wall looked like it would come up to Dáire’s chest, but was a much larger obstruction to the thief.

One sleek brow crept up as Dáire peered over the lip of the half wall, a cocky smirk creeping in as he looked side long at the two humans beside him, he smiled then, "This looks like it’s right up your street Artemis." Glancing down to Artemis he noticed the man’s predicament, the surrounding wall although short enough for him to see over easily, was more in line with the top of the other man’s head, a tricky feat to see over unless the man hopped around like an excited child.

“That’s certainly a nice wall, and there’s steam coming out," Artemis said, hopping in place a bit and then exclaiming in joy. "They made a bath! Oh, I am definitely getting in. I should get some oils!" his voice bounced all over the place with his emotions. He was clearly not exerting his usual levels of control.

“See, the first time I saw it, there was a mostly naked Amalia in it," Ksenia said with a wry smile. "If you want to hop in, I don’t think anyone would mind. Lena’s still cooking, and I’ve got the crew setting up and borrowing tables and chairs. I hope the neighborhood turns out. It’d be nice to show off the hall a little." She thought for a moment. "Just be sure to stay behind the wall in case there’s littles about."

Artemis grinned stupidly for several seconds, clearly imagining the scene of Ksenia discovering a lounging Amalia. "Will you get in with me Dáire? You’ve not rested from your travels, and the rosemary can do wonders for your muscles," Artemis asked, shaking himself and looking up at the elf with a huge grin.

The childlike glee displayed by Artemis surprised Dáire, he’d rarely seen the other man venture outside the business like persona that he wore like a second skin; one of total control and careful measure. He considered the offer, a warm bath would be a luxury he hadn't afforded himself in quite some time, the added company was another thing entirely as well.

“Oh, you do so tempt me Mr. Black." He grinned again. Idols, his cheeks were already beginning to ache. He hadn't kept a smile on his face for this long in quite some time. He was out of practice - just a bit.

“An auspicious day indeed, I get to see my Kerasokan protector in a bath," Artemis said, throwing his arms in the air before he jogged off towards the trap door and the private quarters below.

Once Artemis was out of earshot, Ksenia asked Dáire, "Since he won’t say anything, would you tell me what happened? Just the short version?" She bit her lip, worrying it with her teeth.

Dáire’s gaze tracked Artemis like a predator tracks its prey as he disappeared down the trap door, his attention remaining on the now vacant space above the door as he considered how much to tell Ksenia. He knew she was important to Artemis, but how much? And to betray the man’s trust was not something he wanted to do. Dáire felt bad for the girl, she obviously cared and yet she was being left in the dark. He sighed, meeting her startingly violet gaze as he spoke.

“The earring, the one he gave to her, it - it held sentimental value. She’d tampered with it, irreparably, unaware that he would notice. It…” He trailed off, unable to form the words to convey the emotions that had choked the space and flitted across Artemis’ expression like an open book. He was caught between a rock and a hard place; ones he considered friends were on opposing sides, trapped by understanding the man’s pain and being confused over his other friend's apparently thoughtless actions.

“His response was... well, as fiery as she was ice cold you could say. He had the scroll out and the spell activated before I could even track what it was he intended."

“How completely garbage -" Ksenia hissed, then fought down the rage building. "Well. Good riddance, then. Anyone who destroys someone’s trust, both the relationship and things in their safekeeping..." she trailed off. She thought for a minute, looking somewhat confused. "I’m not sure what scroll you’re talking about, but I’m guessing it had something magical to it." She swallowed hard. "No wonder he looks so wrecked. I’m glad you were taking care of him then."

Sighing, Ksenia forced a small smile on her face. "Unrelated, but I did want to let you know my offer to make clothing for you still stands. Let me know what you want and I’ll make sure it happens," she reminded him.

The tension that had crept into Dáire’s normally neutral features, softened visibly with the change in topic. "That is still very kind of you. I shall give it some thought and maybe come back to you in a day or two with something? I don’t know how long I shall stay in Fellsgard now, and I’m sure some of my travelling attire has seen better days and could do with being replaced. I will be happy to pay the new journeyman fairly for her work though."

Artemis returned with a hand caddy filled to the brim with different sized bottles of all colors and shapes. "I found my oils, this is going to be so much fun. We have to have rosemary of course, but what to pair with it. Do you like mint or jasmine?" he asked, grinning up at the man and pointing to two very different bottles.

Ksenia shook her head and patted Artemis’ shoulder lightly as he came to stand beside them. "Enjoy yourselves and try not to get hurt, okay? I’m going to go check on the crew and make sure they’re not after building something else," she said, giving him a half-smile before she walked away and into the yard.

Dáire was beginning to find that the grin Artemis now wore was dangerously infectious, his features softening and genuine joy radiating through him. Returning the grin was now automatic, the expression sculpting his features everytime the man looked his way. "Jasmine," he said, his voice a touch wistful, "Nothing like memories of Ajteire to make you forget the city."

Artemis waved at Ksenia as she left, before pulling out a bottle with a faint greenish hue and holding it up to examine. "I do love the soft tones to complement the sharpness. Jasmine it is, now, come around the back and help me make some steps so I can get in. Then we can get down to the friendly bits while the oils do their work," Artemis returned the bottle, set the oil caddy down on the top of the wall, and walked around to the back middle of the boxes. With some help from Dáire he arranged a single column into a form of steps in and out of the semi-secluded bath.

As soon as he was inside the relative privacy he began to remove his clothing, wincing and taking particular care in and around his ribs. When his shirt was tossed aside, a massive and ugly welting bruise was revealed across the entirety of his middle, just below the heart. He chuckled and poked the mottled patch. "That building certainly didn’t move out of the way when the jump went sideways."

Dáire scowled at the undoubtedly painful bruise the wrapped around the thief's lithe frame like a lover might. He finished pulling his own shirt over his head with a sharp tug, revealing the hastily repaired but still red arrow wound that went right through his own shoulder. A deep purple bruise beginning to form around it where the arrow had been yanked out the other side by an unpracticed hand.

“What happened?" he said, the words rushing out of him in a tone of voice, much sharper than he had intended, surprising him as he continued to watch Artemis across the few feet that still separated them. His hands itched to sooth the man, it looked angry, and not for the first time he wished he had magic like his parents once had. Forcing calm back into his voice he tried again, " I mean, I didn't think you for a man who misjudged his jumps."

“Bit of bad luck, shingle whipped right out. Usually I can see them a bit, or happen to avoid them by chance," Artemis said back with a shrug, moving over to look closely at the arrow wound. "Now this, this looks like you upset some folks. I won’t ask, but I’m going to demand you let me work the knots out of your shoulders I’m certain the pain is causing."

He pointed at his caddy of oils as he continued, "Some of those are for massages, help the skin and all. I’ve been told my fingers are near magic when I actually try." He winked and then moved to work at his pants.

Dáire unabashedly studied the man as he continued to kick off articles of clothing, muscles flexing hypnotically with every blasé move he made. Chuckling, he shook his head, long black tendrils of hair flicking around the sharp planes of his face as he pulled his attention back to the task at hand. Trying to unbuckle the belts and many daggers from his person, fumbling fingers that lacked his normal finesse making the task difficult. "A man of many diverse talents."

He dithered for a few moments, the pain from his injured shoulder niggling in the background as his thoughts churned, all movement stilling as he came to an apprehensive decision. "It was an assassin," he said quietly, voice so low and soft that no human's ears but Artemis’ could have a chance of catching hold of the words. His expression was raw, exposed in that moment, no facade of stoicism or quiet, unshakable confidence hid the truth. He’d needed to tell someone, to share with someone who may understand how much it had rattled him, even if he wasn't ready to admit the full extent to himself or require him relieve the whole thing in detail.

Artemis’ eyes grew dark for a moment as he tossed the last of his outerwear fully aside and moved back to stare very closely at Dáire’s wound. "It looks like you got moved suddenly then, or this would have cut right across the heart. I hope you’re not in the habit of attracting that sort of attention. It would make me feel bad to know you’re going off to perhaps take a knife in the wilds," he said softly, gently caressing around the wound and pressing his palm to atop the elf’s heart, just below the wound.

With a shake, Artemis flushed and moved away from what he was beginning to realize was very pleasant skin. He grabbed a set of two bottles and a small pouch. He poured a small measure of each liquid into the water and then sprinkled what looked like salt in after. Almost immediately, the strong pleasing scent of rosemary and jasmine filled the air above the steaming bath water. "The last one was a kind of salt, helps to relax muscles and promote healing," he said with a sage nod as he returned the containers to the caddy. "After you." He swept his arm from Dáire to the steaming waters.

Dáire’s smile faltered a little, the impression of the grey eyes, mirrors of his own flashing through his thoughts. "I suspect that anyone who now knows what I am, could have the potential to cause trouble - I didn't make the best of impressions upon them." he said solemnly, watching , captivated as the glistening oils swirled on the surface of the steaming water, faintly colour salt crystals floating within the water and dissolving before they even sank out of view. He shook off the morose thoughts that tried to flood him once more, and forcing a smile back onto his face.

“I appreciate this Artemis." he all but whispered, catching the man in a one armed embrace as he moved to the edge of the large bath, choosing to hop up on the lip instead of scaling the makeshift stairs.

Hot water caressed his weary limbs lovingly, as he slipped first one leg and then the other into the fragrant waters. He drifted to the far side, leaving unobstructed space for the other man to join him. When he sunk down, the entirety of his legs and torso disappeared below the waters, washing away chunks of tension that had become such a part of him as of late; that he’d been unable to remember when it had not been there. A pleasured groan rumbling out from deep within his chest, his eyes closing and head falling back as bliss washed over him. Trusted company, scents that allowed him to relive simpler times and the promise of a good night to follow.

Artemis was leaning against the side of the bath, his chin held in his hand as he sighed. Given the deep crimson of his cheeks, he’d clearly watched the big elf enter the water and was now eyeing the man openly. He stayed that way, letting his attention slowly drift from bottom to top and back down again before finally letting his vision linger on the still rippling surface of the water. After another deep pleased sigh he stepped up onto the edge of the tub. The pose thrust his hips outward, and flexed near all his muscles. He kept it for a solid count before completing the remainder of his hop up and into the water with a light splash.

Standing across the hall, Ksenia watched as the tables collected in the yard. She heard the water in the bath sloshing somewhere behind her and sighed. A communal bath sounded horrifying to her but she knew it’d be very popular with many of the crew and people involved with the hall. She crossed her arms over her chest. Maybe, if she hadn’t been pawed at so much growing up, and if she hadn’t had people threaten to rip her dress off - or worse - it wouldn’t have sounded so anxiety-inducing.

She sighed quietly and felt her eyes prickle a little. Seeing Dash and Diana, the easy way they interacted, and their obvious adoration of each other had sparked a realization; that was the kind of home Ksenia wanted. Someone to encourage, to cosset, to kiss, even - that want felt like an ache in her chest.

She snorted to herself. Fat chance she had of getting that; she’d nearly panicked just being close to Artemis. Who’d want to be in a romantic relationship with someone who shut down anytime anything remotely sexual was even mentioned? Swallowing her fears down, for the moment, Ksenia strode into the yard, determined to find something to do.

Artemis slid through the water slowly towards Dáire, not wanting to cause any more splashes. He came to a stop and settled down next to the man, not quite pressing his leg up against him. "I’m glad it meets with your approvals, Ranger. Now, give me your hand, I’m going to start loosening those tired and tense muscles so that you can truly enjoy your night," he said, reaching out but not touching Dáire. It was important to Artemis that he was not taking, but being given the hand to work at.

The faint vibration that traveled through the frame-work had Dáire drowsily cracking open an eye, drinking in the sight of all the flexing muscles as Artemis finally clambered into the bath with him.

“I thought your feet may have frozen to the ground out there," he said jokingly while reclosing his eye, his voice coming out as smooth as a well aged brandy. The gentle sound of the ripples lapping against his chest only acting as a further relaxant as he felt the the thief’s unmistakable presence settle beside him.

He lifted his head at Artemis words, a dark brow rising in question as he met the other man’s gaze, "You were serious?" He hadn't really needed to voice the question out loud, the honest answer, and more, was clear in Artemis' dark eyes. Slowly, he placed his nicked and scarred hand in the thief’s. His long elegant fingers bearing multiple rings many of which looked out of place on a man; but the almost feminine scale of the limb, so typical of his kind, afforded him the opportunity to make use of the variety of magical rings he came across.

He swore quietly, retracting his hand and removing the rings, quickly adding, "They’re spelled, I should have thought of them earlier when you felt so ill." He hoped his concern was clear, just in case the action had been taken the wrong way. Setting the rings aside, he re-offered the hand.

Artemis had been distracted heavily, first by the glistening muscles, and then by the detailed rings. He’d had to sharply suppress the urge to slip the rings off, giving each it’s due inspection and consideration. When Dáire apologized he chuckled softly. "It’s the use of it more than the presence, though I appreciate the thought. It’s very kind of you," he said, pulling the ranger’s hand gently forward and pushing in with his thumbs.

He followed the strands of muscle slowly, pressing, rolling, and squeezing all along the palm, fingers, and back of the hand. "It has many stories," he said, running his finger along a particularly prominent scar before continuing his work. Soon he gave one last slow squeeze before moving to work and rub at the wrist and forearm. When he finished there he dropped the hand into the water and held out his open palm for the second limb.

“That’s good to know," Dáire said, "though I can't imagine magic making me feel unwell," the second sentence mumbled more to himself than the owner of what in fact could easily be described as magic hands. The tension was running out of him as surely as the water off his skin. He smiled lazily, "Many stories young friend. If I'm drunk enough, maybe you’ll get some of the more interesting tales out of me." He winked, unsure just how much of his past the younger man would be able to weasel out of him under such circumstances. Offering the second limb when indicated, he set out with the intent to watch the movements this time; maybe he could pick up the skill while enjoying it’s rewards.

Artemis smirked as he saw Dáire watching his hands intently. "I think I could manage to get some tales, though with the drink we have I’m more concerned for how much we’ll regret the headaches," he said, starting his work on the hand’s muscles slowly and keeping his fingers more spread to show what he was doing.

He would tap, or pause often, making it clear where his focus was with each squeeze or rolling pressure. It was a much slower and more intimate thing this time around and Artemis was starting to wonder how long he could keep himself from doing something aggressive when he finally moved down to the wrist and forearm.

When he finished with the hand he dropped it into the water and looked up to lock eyes with the ranger. "I can work on your shoulders and neck as well, but you’ll need to get in front of me," he said, swirling his hand through the water and swallowing as he caught himself panting softly. ‘The bath must be far warmer than I thought,’ he mused lazily as he settled himself against the edge of the tub and spread his legs outward to clear a space.

Dáire felt a coy smile stretch his lips, his gaze drifting from Artemis’ dilated eyes, to the hand that swirled so languidly in the steaming water before him, and back up again. He did not miss the change in the man’s breathing, and his own heart rate picked up in response. "If that’s where you want me, then who am I to argue?" he all but purred, moving with deliberate fluidity to exactly where they both wanted him. Eyes locked with Artemis, his smile widening as he settled himself on his knees right between the thief’s muscular thighs, their strength caging him in on either side.

Resting a splayed hand upon one toned thigh, the muscles flexing beneath his touch, he let his thumb trail lazy circles across the other man's heated skin. His gaze dropped to watch the small movement, a moment of doubt creeping in. Was he just taking advantage of someone escaping a bad situation? Looking up through his thick fringe of dark lashes, voice now having lost some of its usual velvety softness he asked "Is this what you want Artemis?"

Artemis stared at the man in front of him with his mouth hanging open. It took several long seconds for him to catch up to what was happening as the swirls of current assailed him with the strong scent of jasmine and rosemary. There was a firm warmth pressing against his thighs and a teasing pressure on one side. He glanced down to realize it was Dáire’s own body and hand caressing him.

The thief looked back up into the grey-green eyes of the ranger and felt the embers that were stirring in his chest leap into flame. He groaned softly and tried his best to answer. "Yesssss..." he hissed desperately before leaning forward and pressing his lips to the elf’s neck firmly. He bit, not hard, but sharply, at the sensitive skin, pulling and suckling with a barely restrained and desperate hunger. While his mouth worked, his hands roamed. He was stroking, scratching, and caressing everywhere he could reach.

Dáire grinned broadly at the throaty admission, the look of pure carnal hunger that flooded the thief’s eyes, causing his blood to ignite. A raspy groan escaped him, the tips of blunt teeth pulled and teased him well beyond the point of coherent thought. Needy and entirely under the other man’s mystifying spell, Dáire pulled their bodies flush together, all but placing Artemis in his lap. His hands roamed, stroking and caressing as they went, desperate to return the feeling of drowning bliss he was falling into.

Artemis felt himself sinking into a frenzy and pulled back with a gasp. "I- I owe you a shoulder rub," he said, between deep ragged panting. He retreated slightly, reluctantly separating their skin just enough that he could find his mental balance again. After a moment to catch his breath, and a shake to loosen the tension, he moved his hands more purposefully.

Dáire couldn't help it, he found himself pouting slightly when Artemis withdrew from him. His body feeling the lack of contact as a significant loss. Feigning disgruntlement, he repositioned himself as he probably should have the first time. Soon sinking back into a hazy sense of contentment as his muscles were delightfully coerced back to optimum condition.

The same thumbs and fingers that had worked at Dáire’s hands set to the muscles of his broad shoulders and back with reverent but firm motion. He followed each muscle, working and teasing the warmth of the water to replace the tension and tightness. As he moved he gave soft whispered directions, asking for a tightening, loosening, or leaning to accommodate his purposeful hands.

He was entirely lost in the pleasure of turning his bath companion to putty moulded by his touch. He hardly noticed his own labored breathing, or the sudden increase in noise from outside the secluded bath.

Suddenly there was a sharp bark of a laugh from just over the box wall. "If you let him do that too long you'll both cook like lobster," Amalia said before breaking down into more amused chuckles. She was leaning on the wall, shaking her head at the pair of them lost in the moment. "I can see why Craftmistress sent someone over though. You'll make a lot of folks jealous Boss, giving out back rubs like that." She winked at Artemis before shaking her head and moving away from the wall. "Stop playing with your food and come eat," she added over her shoulder as she walked away.
Word count: 5221
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Artemis blinked slowly as his awareness extended beyond his desire for the man in front of him. He’d forgotten completely about everything, the Hall, the party, Ksenia, even Ka-The Banished. He’d been so happy, simply letting himself drown in the moment between them. He shivered and looked over at Dáire.

“I’m going to make sure that by morning all you can remember is my name," he said breathlessly. Then, firming his resolve he stood, his desire clear beneath his soaked underclothes. "We’ve got a Craftmistress to celebrate first though." He shuffled over the edge of the tub with a bright grin. Water poured off of him while he shimmied over to one of the upper boxes in the wall.

He’d noticed the ajar lid earlier and was pleased when it contained a collection of giant towels. He set one out for himself and then turned to the ranger with the second. "Come on now, I’ll get you all dried off," he said with a hint of eager teasing as he held the broad cloth up like a net.

Dáire groaned, the comforting presence leaving his side in a cascade of water flowing over rippling muscles. "That’s quite a declaration to make," He said, voice now an octave lower than normal. Eyes burning with desire, he watched in open appreciation as the focus of that desire stood, making it oh so clear that it was not a one sided affair. "Mmmm, that we do. I’m just looking forward to seeing if you rise to the occasion again later tonight then."

The smile on Artemis’ face made his heart swell, a stark contrast to the pain that had strained the same youthful features only that morning, almost unimaginable to Dáire now. Grinning to himself, he somehow managed to pull away from the warm waters, the cool air licking at his heated skin. Leaning forwards, maintaining some semblance of distance, he snatched the towel out of the thief’s hands, winking as he did so. "If you start stroking me again, we’ll soon not remember there was a party to miss."

In a single graceful move, he hopped out of the bath, landing almost silently on the floor below. Discarding the now sodden undergarment, he towelled off in an efficient manner, trying desperately to get his raging desire under control again before facing a pack of relative strangers.

Artemis was very certain he’d made the right choice of protector and companion for the evening. "Like a piece of art," he murmured softly to himself as he watched Dáire towel off. He grinned and dealt with his own drenched body quickly. When he’d finished, he wrapped the towel around his waist and let it hang somewhat freely as he donned his shirt and organized his oils. By the time he’d finished that he stepped over and slipped on his pants. They’d be a bit less fitted than normal, but it was better than dealing with a slowly freezing groin while trying to celebrate.

He scrubbed his head one last time before tossing the towel to drape on the box wall and moving over to take Dáire’s arm in his own. "Come now, you promised to protect me, and there’s a dangerous group of partygoers over there just looking to whisk me away," he said, leaning his head against the man’s chest before looking up at him and winking. "Only my name."

Dáaire wrapped the man in a tight embrace, stifling a groan as anticipatory visions flashed through his thoughts. "You're a worse tease than I melethron."

“Oi, Boss! That’s the big one eh?" Kent shouted before giving an appreciative whistle across the warehouse. "Craftmistress says if you aren’t out of the water we get to come watch. Shame that," he added before waving the two men over and turning back to the workyard. Artemis shook his head and grinned.

“You'll need to tell me what that means later, when you've got me in your clutches. Also, five copper she didn’t say that at all, but that’s a bad bet," the thief said, tugging his escort forward as heard a large cheer go up outside. They reached the large double doors and saw the cause of the most recent commotion. Lena, followed by a vanguard of young women, was bringing out platters of food piled high with all manner of things. He saw roasted vegetables, meats, chicken, bread of all sorts, and even what might have been a pile of slathered ribs.

When the food was deposited another raucous cheer went up, and Artemis joined in. He scanned the open tables for a moment, noticing there seemed to be less organization this go around. The crew was scattered to all corners, mixed in with the neighbors and a sizeable contingent of visitors and urchins.

Ksenia stood up, looking over the crowd; seeing Artemis and Dáire, she waved to catch their attention. She’d already been pulled over to a table with Jacobus, Hannah, and Amalia after the tenth explanation of her new rank, her watch, and her new dress. At least now she’d have a seat to explain everything from.

Several of their neighbors had been interested when she explained that she could sew plainer clothes and pieces much cheaper and more quickly - she’d just needed to show off a bit for the exam. There was a list of names in her sketchbook to follow up with; she’d need to check with them about what they wanted and then start sourcing the fabric.

Amalia looked over at Ksenia from her spot across the table. "You look stunning in that dress. And I’m not just saying that for a chance of getting under it," the woman said with a smile.

Ksenia blushed a bit. Compliments were still somewhat tricky things, although she was quite pleased with the way the dress had turned out. "Thank you," she said, with a small smile. "I told you I designed it, yes?"

“You did, but you never really said why you added all those bits," Hannah added from Amalia’s side.

“I took a lot of portions from men’s clothing to make it look more businesslike. A few things I took but made them softer, like the shoulders. I wanted the dress to look like the woman who wore it was in charge and knew what she was doing," Ksenia explained.

“Armor, then," Amalia said, thoughtfully. She propped her chin on her fist. "Suppose you could do work togs, too. We’ll have to talk."

Hannah nodded. "I might ask for a dress or two - although nothing as fancy as that!" She grinned at Ksenia.

“You could certainly flaunt a well cut dress my Kerasokan beauty," Artemis said, sliding up to the table with Dáire still on his arm. "Kessy, I’m going to sit terribly close to you, so I can share some warmth and ward off this cool evening," he added, before grabbing the chair beside the woman and scooting it to practically touch hers. He then plopped down and lay his head on her shoulder.

“You’ve done an amazing job these last weeks, and I don’t think I ever actually took the chance to thank you for it all," he said softly, rubbing her back slowly with his open palm. "I can work at your hands like I did Dáire’s, though I think I may be booked up for the rest." He glanced up at the much taller elf and gave an exaggerated wink.

Ksenia froze with surprise at first, before relaxing when she realized Artemis was the person touching her. "I might take you up for work on my hands," she said, stretching her hands in front of her. She flexed her fingers. "It has been a long week, and judging by people’s reactions, I’m about to have another. Every table’s had at least one person interested in getting something made, plus that commission for Mr. Velca that I’m working on with Dash."

Artemis took one of her hands in his own as she talked and began the same careful kneading and working of the muscles. Ksenia sighed as he worked out a particularly tight spot. After several long moments he moved down to the wrist and rubbed several times before letting the limb drop.

"Well now Artemis, if you were craving more elf you know you could have just asked," Hannah said, giving Dáire an appreciative once over. "Though I'm not complaining about your friend. No, not at complaining at all." Hannah licked her lips slowly and winked at the tall elf. Dáire just smirked, his gaze trailing lazily over the young woman as he slouched back in his chair.

"This is Dáire, my noble protector and friend. He's here to ensure you all don't take me away, and I'll be holding him… holding him to his promise until the sun comes up," Artemis said with a shake of his head and flush of his cheeks as he got distracted partway through his explanation.

“Next please," he said suddenly, jumping his attention back to Ksenia and holding out his own palm for her. She turned slightly and gave him the second hand quickly.

“I’m pretty sure you could get people to pay you for this," she said, her eyes going half closed. "That makes such a difference."

He grinned at her and finished working on the second wrist. "Perhaps, though I think it might work a bit better if I had a nice rack to go with it," he said and returned his arm to resting around her middle. He slid his other arm around Dáire and gave them both a squeeze. "Maybe it’s just an elf thing. Care to give it a go Hannah? Amalia?"

“Looks relaxing. I’ll, ah, give you a hand, boss," Amalia said with a bit of a smirk as she stretched her hand across the table.

Artemis took the woman’s hand in his own and played with it for a moment. He teased at it gently, caressing and stroking. "You have surprisingly supple hands Amalia," he said after several silent seconds of investigation. He looked up at her and grinned at the slight blush on the normally ribald woman’s cheeks.

“I see I still have the trick," he said, starting to actually massage her hand just as she began to pull away. "I promise, no more, and I’ll even offer you a second go whenever you’d like," he said, giving her a knowing grin. She relented and he worked at her hand but moved his attention elsewhere.

“So Kessy, you have to tell me about this mystery rich client you’re working for now." He shouldered her lightly raising an eyebrow in curiosity. "Also, when does the food get to us?"

“The food gets to us when we go get it," Ksenia said wryly. She pointed at a large table set up and people filing around it with plates. "You can go help yourself if you’re so hungry. I’m waiting until the crowds die down a bit so I can make it there and back without getting stopped five times."

Dáire’s attention peaked, a previously mentioned name finally penetrating his mind; having previously been lost somewhere in the deluge of lusty thoughts currently circulating his head. Body stiffening, he turned his focus on Ksenia, "Velca? You mean the Turco - sorry, the Lord of house Velca? The red haired elf?"

He held still, neutrality slipping over his features as his heart began to thump in his chest. An unwarranted response but he was soon going to learn that anyone tied to that particular day would stir unwanted memories and emotions within him for some time to come yet.

“Turco?" Ksenia said, her face a little confused. "I mean, yes, Mr. Velca does have dark red hair, and I remember him mentioning you - said he was concerned about you after he gave you a ride back. He seems like a kind person. Was there something you needed of him? I’m sure I could get a message to him through Mr. O’Dell," Ksenia offered, watching Dáire’s face with increasing concern. "Are you okay?" she asked, holding his gaze.

Artemis felt the shift in tension and the rapid change in Dáire’s heartbeat through his hand. He looked over at the Elf, hiding the concern on his features and desperately curious. If things started to spiral he’d have to take control of the situation, but the ranger was no child to be coddled.

Fine tremors sprang to life within Dáire’s limbs as he looked into crystal clear violet eyes. He flinched, another pair of startlingly similar amethyst coloured eyes skating across the forefront of his thoughts. Eyes that had stared down on him, his body crumpled at the mans feet in the dirt, the dull throb of an arrow spearing his shoulder and the only thing keeping him partially aware. His jaw worked several times, but the words kept getting caught somewhere in his throat. "No… no, I-"

The few stuttered words all that he appeared able to muster in that moment. He broke eye contact abruptly, staring off in a totally different direction and seemingly at nothing in particular. "I’m sorry."

Artemis extracted his arm from Ksenia’s side and and moved to grab Dáire’s cheeks. With a tug he pulled the man’s face down and moved into a deep and firm kiss. He held the kiss for long seconds before pulling his lips back and pressing his forehead to the other man’s. "None of that now, it’s a celebration and you’re going to forget it all soon enough anyway," he just barely whispered. "My name only." He held Dáire there for a moment longer before releasing him, but kept the man’s eyes latched to his own as a smirk filled his features. "You taste as good as I thought," he said more normally, curling his fingers on the ranger’s leg.

The whirling thoughts and emotions clogging Dáire’s mind, simply ceased to matter the very moment Artemis’ soft, warm lips met his own. The delicious sensations short circuiting his mind, and then firing off a whole new set of visuals in its wake. The kiss was over far quicker than he wanted, needed it to be; but Artemis’ close proximity, seemed to keep him grounded long enough, affording him a chance at regaining composure. "I’m sorry." He breathed, a smile returning to the previously haunted face at the reminder of their night to come. "You thought of me?" he said, voice teasing as they separated. He set his own palm atop the thief’s and squeezed gently, appreciating the contact and the grin his words had elicited.

“I’ll need to apologise to Ksenia; it was not her fault." he said, craning his neck as he looked around them, to locate the young woman.

“I’ll go get some food now," Ksenia said, looking away from the two men. Her cheeks were flushed and she got up from her seat hastily. She gave Dáire a stiff pat on the shoulder and a murmured apology as she passed. Ksenia wasn’t sure what she’d said to make Dáire so clearly uncomfortable, but she’d try not to do it again. She’d gotten partway across the yard before she noticed Hannah tagging along at her side.

“Goodness, that was intense," Hannah said with a flushed grin. She fanned her face with her hand and shook herself slightly. "So, what are we grabbing? I figure a good mix, but does anyone have a preference?"

Ksenia gave Hannah a sideways smile. "I figure as long as we get them plenty of meat they’ll be happy." She smirked a bit, dodging a child wandering around. "A little of everything will do, and if we’ve opened that brandy again, I do want some," she said. "Just not quite as much as last time."

“Brandy? He’s got all sorts of good drinks doesn’t he?" she asked with a raised brow, clear interest on her face. "That Dáire is certainly a tall glass of something."

Ksenia snorted and rolled her eyes. "Maybe. I don’t know Dáire well enough to say more. The brandy they found here while cleaning up and it has more than a little kick." She found the stack of plates and began loading one with a selection of meats.

Lena came over as Ksenia worked, picking up another plate and helping pile things onto it. "I see the Boss has invited another batch of unexpected little guests and you’ve not gotten a moment’s rest." The cook motioned to a table filled with what were clearly urchin children with her plate after giving Ksenia a sympathetic smile. "Do grab the little pitcher back there, it’s a nice herbal tea I’ve been working on all day and I hear you’re the woman to try it," she said before setting the filled plate aside and starting on another.

“I’d be happy to try it, Lena, though I’m not an expert or anything," Ksenia replied. Looking at the plates, Ksenia wondered how she and Hannah would get all the food back over.

“Were that any of us were experts in what that man asks us to do," she said with a laugh, finishing loading the second plate and taking the one Ksenia had filled. She nestled one in the crook of her arm and held the second in her hand. Finally she picked up a third in her free hand and nodded to the two other women before heading over to the table.

Ksenia watched her go, her movements clearly practiced. Looking back at the table, she didn’t see any sweets or desserts that children might like. Not that she’d had many chances to have them as a child, but she remembered the times she had with fondness. Maybe Lena might agree to make a cake or something sweet - when was Artemis’s birthday? Surely if they were celebrating the Boss’s birthday, she’d do it. Ksenia finished loading the plate and grabbed a cup of herbal tea before making her way back to the table.

Setting her plate down, but keeping the warm tea in her hand, she asked, "Artemis, when is your birthday?"

Artemis looked confused for several seconds and then clearly counted on his fingers and said the months silently. "I think it’s today, what’s the count?"

“The twenty-first?" Ksenia replied, a growing sense of apprehension building in her chest. By the idols, she hoped he was wrong. She’d planned to at least make him something for his birthday, possibly even get the crew in on something if she could.

“Oh, yeah. That’s it," he said, distractedly as he examined a rib closely. He bit into the meat hungrily, savoring the spices and flavor audibly. "This is so good," he half-moaned as he took another large bite. "Why?" he asked, looking at Ksenia with a mouth slathered in meat juice and sauce.

“I was hoping we could make celebration of it. Get you a cake, maybe some gifts, that kind of thing. You know, the way birthdays are supposed to go," Ksenia said, dismayed but trying to turn her statement into a joke. "Guess you’ll have to wait another year for all that then." She picked up a roll and took a large bite, hoping to forestall further questions.

“Is that how all that goes? I’ve not had one of those since mom left. We never really had cake though. Just something nice for dinner and I didn’t need to do chores. She’d sing a special song, but I don’t remember the words."

“According to the O’Dells, apparently so. They did a party for their daughter with cake and presents - every year, even." She pretended to choose some meat next. "Did you know birthday cakes can be any kind you want? I always thought they were something specific; I’ve never had one myself," she commented, trying to think of a way to drag the conversation into a less loaded subject.

“Oh man, I’d get one covered in berries. Maybe with some honey in there too," Artemis said grinning broadly. "You said presents though? I figure your success is enough, besides, you can say you got me Dáire." He leaned against the man’s shoulder and then returned to devouring his food with many sounds of appreciation and joy.

“One, you can’t give a person not yourself, that wouldn’t be right. Two, I’d wanted to give you something for you alone," she explained over Artemis’ moans of indulgence. "Me passing the exam is mostly for myself and then everyone here, so it doesn’t count." Ksenia tried valiantly to ignore Artemis and the not unfamiliar sounds he made, but he was making her a bit uncomfortable.

“Maybe find something tomorrow then? Does it have to be on the day? I don’t mind, and it’s nice to know you care, but I don’t want you to fret over something I didn’t know I was really missing," he said back, taking a slow drink of his ale and bouncing around happily.

Ksenia bit her lip. "I guess it’s the intent behind the gift and maybe not the exact time?" She took a careful bite of meat and chewed thoughtfully. "That might work." She glanced over at Artemis. "Are you going to have any moans left for Dáire by the time you’re done with the meat?" she said slyly.

Artemis blushed furiously and hid inside his mug. "Sorry," he mumbled through the wood. "Just so tasty. I didn’t get to eat this kind of stuff a lot until recently."

Ksenia squeezed his shoulder. "I’m just teasing you, silly. And it is good - Lena’s a great cook," she said, stripping another bite of meat off of a bone. "I haven’t eaten like this since - well, ever, really," she said, picking more food up. "Maybe some inn leftovers sometimes, but never where it hadn’t been on someone’s plate before," she mused.

Artemis nodded in agreement, suddenly finding something he knew very well. "Did you ever manage to catch a chef’s pie? When they don’t feel like tossing everything out, and so they just sort of leave them on the back step? If you could beat the rats, they tended to be pretty good," he said with a distant look of memory in his eyes.

The crew around the table had a strange sort of shocked look about them. They couldn’t seem to understand the crossover between the warehouse owner and idol-may-care Boss they knew and a beggar child scrabbling with the rats just to get by.

“Sometimes," Ksenia replied. She scrunched her nose up in thought. "I did a lot of trades though. Mend aprons, get a plate of leftovers. Wash dishes, anything that was left on the plates. That kind of thing," she said, shrugging. "I usually wasn’t in one place long enough to really get a regular thing going. Mam drug me everywhere with her as a maid, right, so I’d just eat with the servants - which usually meant their leftovers." Her face turned into a frown. "Most of them didn’t like me much, so I scrounged a lot from the upstairs table."

“Ever do any net picking? There’s tons of it here, and I’ve got quick hands. Did that a lot until I figured out I could run faster than most," Artemis said, using a piece of bread to accentuate his question before soaking it in juices and shoving it in his mouth.

“Net picking? From fishermen?" Ksenia asked for clarification.

“Yeah, the lazy ones, don’t wanna do the work, will toss a copper or some drink if you get the net untangled and to rights."

“No, fishermen wouldn’t have been rich enough for Mam," Ksenia chuckled darkly. "She was skilled at netting men, though. Especially rich ones who liked their ego - and more - stroked."

“Wait, wait, wait. You’re saying you were picking nets and fighting rats? How’d you get all this then?" Hannah asked, motioning around to the gathering of people and newly restored building.

Artemis looked at her, noticing he wasn’t actually alone with Ksenia at the table. He blinked slowly a few times and then shrugged. "Her fault I think. I just got her some silk, and here we are," he said after a few more moments of silent thought. Artemis collected another piece of flavor soaked bread and delicately pressed it to Dáire’s lips. "Eat, just as tasty as you," he said softly, grinning at the ranger.

Daire blinked, momentarily caught off guard as the delicious morsel brushed against his lips, what was he going to do with this man? Taking the morsel into his mouth, he groaned quietly, thoroughly enjoying the look it prompted to pass over the thief's face.

“Oh, no, I think we have to give your dear old nan credit for this," Ksenia replied with a sideways grin. "After all, where would we be without her generous gift?" She gave Artemis a wink.

Artemis laughed raucously, shaking his head. "Probably still leaning against the window with broken ribs Craftmistress. She’s a blessing that woman." Ksenia laughed hard, leaning against Artemis’ shoulder.

“I’d still be sewing rips and tears for a patch of dirt to sleep on," she choked out between giggles. "And scarcely able to afford goat stew."

“Ever bless her gracious gifts, though perhaps she could be gentler with the cane," he said in between hearty gasps of his own. When he’d settled some he leaned his head onto Ksenia’s shoulder. "Thank you Kessy," he said softly.

“If it wasn’t for you inviting me to work on that, we’d both be worse off," she said, catching her breath. "So, you’re welcome, and thanks in return." She looked a bit sad for a moment. "I’m down to a few scraps now - everything big is in Dash’s hands. I gave him the last of it during the week."

“We’ll have to get you a fresh batch, over the counter this time, instead of hand me downs," he said, leaning back and giving her a bright smile before leaning the other way into Dáire and sighing softly. "I think we should get the brandy now."

Ksenia let out a breath. "Fine, but I’m putting most of my share aside. I’d rather not be a mess tonight." She rubbed her face. "Think Lena might have a spare bottle or something?"

“I’ll go check after you try that drink she gave," said Hannah, pointing to the still faintly steaming cup of herbal tea. "She made me promise I’d help some in exchange for- well it doesn’t matter."

Ksenia picked up the cup and blew on it slightly. She took a long drink, holding it in her mouth to let the taste develop. "Mm, some citrusy flavor, some heat there but that’s mellowing out - not bad. Maybe add a touch of honey to round out the heat?" Ksenia mused aloud.

Artemis grabbed the cup and took a small sip. "Sunseed, tasty stuff," he said with a sage nod. "They use it in the Wakeup tonic, and also for making the… Night Girl’s Friend..." his voice faded out slightly and he looked down at his lap before blushing.

Ksenia gave him a look, her eyebrows raised. "Oh?" she said, looking at Artemis. "I don’t suppose it’s used in stamina potions, is it?" Artemis blushed furiously and wouldn’t meet her eyes for several long seconds.

“I- I’m going to need the room tonight, Kessy," he said very softly. "Sorry. Dáire needs a place to..." his voice faded out again though his mouth still moved slightly.

Hannah laughed and shook her head before getting up to find Lena. "I’ll tell her it’s a success, but to add some honey and watch the mixture then. Wouldn’t want whatever can make Boss blush going around to the crew."

“You need the r- oh. Oh! Okay then," Ksenia said, patting Artemis’s shoulder with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. "I guess I’ll go see Deb tonight. I’m sure she’ll want to hear about the exam and all. Have fun, try not to break anything, and don’t drink my share of the brandy." She swallowed as she turned away. There was nothing wrong with Artemis having overnight guests. He had every right to do so, even if she envied him that damn fleece mattress, she reminded herself fiercely.

Walking over to Jacobus, she waited for a break in the conversation. "I’m heading to the Goose to check in there; you’re in charge now." Jacobus looked a touch confused for a moment, but nodded as Ksenia headed back to the hall to pick up her bag and down the trapdoor to the tunnel.
Word count: 4966