The Cost of a Spell [Completed]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

The Cost of a Spell [Completed]

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis was only half surprised when a young urchin came sprinting into the workyard and looked around frantically. The girl spotted him and tossed her hands up in the sign for a bird in flight just as he started to move towards her. He nodded at her and motioned to the off-canter table and pair of poorly made chairs just outside the hall. He grinned at her as she scrambled into the chair and ended up just slightly sideways.

“Report then,” he said, sliding her two coppers.

“The big elf man, Daaahrei,” the girl started, trying to sound out Dáire’s name, “he arrived on a boat. Dock twelve in the north.” She deftly pocketed the coins before she continued, “He was with a white hair elf and a red hair elf. Took me a bit to get here, but they weren’t heading straight southeast.”

Artemis nodded and put another six copper on the table. “Thank you for being so quick. Bring a few friends around this evening, we’ll have some extra bread and soup and a nice fire. No thieving though, these are the good people,” he added with a stern look.

The girls eyes went wide and she nodded vigorously before hopping down out of the chair. “Good people, will make sure everyone knows, not a nicking to be had,” she said excitedly before running off down the side alley furthest from North Rigging street. He smiled to himself as she went, Lena always made the coins he provided into too much food, particularly after she'd learned he was happy to share with the neighborhood. He'd never had a place like this growing up, and if he could give that to even a few perhaps it would even the scales a bit.

Artemis rose and caught Jacobus’ attention. “I’m heading out on personal business. Keep the crew at their labors, and remind them that the cut is ten percent unless it’s done in a favor that can benefit the Hall.” The Foreman grinned and nodded back to Artemis. They’d argued a bit about the cut being so low since he wasn’t charging the crew to use the space, sleep, or eat. In the end Artemis had explained well enough the benefit of happier crafters and the desire to build something closer to a family.

As he moved towards his mount, Artemis felt the itch again. It had been bothering him for a while now, but he couldn't place it. He needed to get to Dáire, and then the White Hart. He’d not heard anything from Katarya, nor seen Nyx, since the day he dropped the ring to ask her to treat him as her lover. He needed to make sure she had not forgotten her promises to the Goose. She didn't need that pain in her life.
Last edited by Artemis Black on November 27th, 2019, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 478
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Re: The Cost of a Spell

Post by Dáire »

Dáire stepped off the boat hastily, glad to finally have his feet back on solid ground, his sea weary legs feeling off key as the earth remained solid, the lack of undulating waves taking him a moment to adjust to. Somewhere at the back of his mind, the familiar smell of the city and docks registered, erasing the calming fresh salty air that had been his grounding over the past few days.

He’d barely spoken while aboard, his mind and body were still coiled tightly with the betrayal, and subsequent anger that rode him with every breath. What responses he had given, had been terse and short, even by Dáire’s standards.

His feet hit the packed earth and paving of Fellsgards streets in a rhythmic gait, as he strode menacingly through them, even the roughly looking denizens choosing wisely, not to shout profanities at him this day. He was going straight to the Kelbé, he needed answers, closure. He had many wild scenarios swirling around his thoughts, his mind trying to wrap around logical reasons as to what could have led to those few, he had allowed himself to trust, to trample upon that gift so heinously.

He’d had too much time to think during that long boat ride from the Veiled city, and he knew it.

Thoughts of where he’d go, even what he’d do after his confrontation and clear out of the hart, was yet unclear. He’d wandered for decades, he’d never intended to stay in the city so long, he hadn't anticipated making what he believed had been friends in that time - life had gone so far off his beaten trail that he should have known it wouldn’t last.

Shaking his head in an attempt to clear out some of the useless jumbling thoughts crowding his focus, he lengthened his stride, legs eating up the streets as he prowled forwards, the dread in his gut growing with each new street he turned into.
Word count: 337
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Class: Bard

Post by Raen Silver »

Raen was miserable.

Huddling in the corner, he clutched his harp (with a few broken strings and a strained neck, now), along with his pack, he had tried to get through the journey as best he could.

Dáire had been miserable, and any attempts to talk to him were met with short answers.

Had Raen done the right thing in recognising the Elf's sister as heir?

There was also the addition of Soltaevar; the man who had decried the ritual and made his stance very clear. Raen had no idea what the older man thought of him, with him being the heir to one of the noble houses and a voice in the decision. Certainly the older Elf had made his opinions clear, but what he thought of the young bard, Raen could not tell.

All he wished now for was a warm meal and to be back in his home.

Adventuring was not for him, he decided. Let him sing of them, instead of actually going on them.

When they got off the boat, Raen hurried along after Dáire, but realised the man wished to be left in peace. Instead he headed for home. To the Kelbé.
Word count: 200

"There is no greater gift than that of verse well given."
Soltaevar Velca
Character
Head of Mistfire Trading Company, Fellsgard, Tviyr; Cat slave; and Turco of House Velca.
Level
72 / 72 HP
51 / 51 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Class: Bard

Post by Soltaevar Velca »

Soltaevar watched the two younger men and the woman clamber off the boat as he gave directions to the captain. One of the benefits of being a trader was access to swifter forms of transportation; he’d borrowed one of his smaller boats to take him to the meeting. Grateful he hadn’t had to resort to horseback - and thus spend far longer in travel - he was terribly glad to be back in Fellsgard.

Once he’d given instructions and slipped the captain an extra silver for his troubles, Soltaevar walked on to dry land again. His house wasn’t too terribly far away; he decided to walk rather than try to get a horse or a carriage for the short distance. Besides, he wanted to check on his cats.

He opened the door to his house, and his butler rushed over. “Sir, you have a letter from a Mister Dash O’Dell.” The butler held out a folded piece of fine ivory parchment with a wax seal; Soltaevar slit it open and began reading.

“Lunch today? With his protégée?” Soltaevar mumbled. He’d barely have time to change. Claira came trotting up to him, meowing happily at the return of her favorite person. Soltaevar picked her up, petting her as she rubbed against his face. She was definitely larger around than when he left. He sighed. Kittens.

Jogging up the stairs to his rooms, Soltaevar stripped off his jacket. If Dash was bringing someone to one of their meetings, this protégée must be important. He’d need to take a little more care - Dash probably wouldn’t have cared if he’d turned up in dockworkers’ clothes, but for a lady, he’d need to make sure he had proper accessories and the like.

The eggplant jacket, quilted ivory waistcoat, white shirt, and lavender cravat would do. Black trousers and boots. He rushed through getting changed and pulled a comb through his hair to take care of the worst of the disarray. ‘Getting long again,’ he thought critically. Checking his reflection in the mirror, Soltaevar hurried downstairs to head over to the restaurant Dash chose. Hopefully, their conversation would be just the thing to take his mind off of the inanities he’d endured from the Elder elves.
Last edited by Soltaevar Velca on November 25th, 2019, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 386
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis mounted Sir Francis by first guiding him over to a pile of solid boxes for the second time today. He’d had a bit of calm riding practice moving around the yard this morning when Lynwood returned with the temporary simple saddle. The beast was deceptively easy to control, relying near entirely on leg movements. Artemis had found after a half hour he no longer need the reins at all except for sudden halts and the way he braced himself worked just as well. He’d even started teaching Sir Francis simple birdsong commands before the sun crested the city roofs.

Whistling {Go} to the moose, and reinforcing with a forward squeeze of his legs, Artemis started out of the yard. Once they were on the main street he got Sir Francis into a steady jog, making good time down the center of the wider streets. As far as Artemis could tell Sir Francis was entirely comfortable at this speed, and the buildings were passing in a near blur. If his estimate was vaguely close he’d likely catch Dáire at the edge of the South District. This would give plenty of time to talk to the elf and perhaps catch up some before they went into what might be an alley fire.

When he approached the South to North gates he spotted the massive elf easily and slowed Sir Francis to a walk. “Dáire, friend. I need to use that favor you promised me,” he half-shouted out towards the man, angling his mount to be in the path without completely obstructing others.
Word count: 266
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Lost deep within his thoughts, Dáire had continued to prowl the streets of Fellsgard, destination set for the hart when he found himself abruptly pulled out of the ever-darkening spiral. There, right at eye level, was a huge muzzle with steam billowing out of the tear drop shaped nostrils to either side, misting the crisp morning air before him. The large beast made a peculiar noise and he stepped back, ready to remove himself from the peculiar situation before his eyes fell upon a bridle. Following the reins back along the animals long and muscled neck, he found Artemis perched on its back. Like a lord just for a leisurely stroll around his domain.

Dáire found his voice had all but abandoned him, his gaze darting from the giant moose before him and the lethal human that stroked the animal’s neck reverently, totally at odds with what he thought he’d known of the man.

It took a few moments for the words to make any sense to his addled thoughts and the cacophony of noise from the onlookers of the mighty moose. His face scrunched in an unbidden frown, only beginning to ease as he recalled the pledge, he’d given the man. Idols, that felt like a lifetime ago now to him, the promise that should he need help, the man had only to ask it of him.

“What is you require of me, friend of the night?”
Word count: 243
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis offered a hand down, motioning for Dáire to join him on the back of the giant mount. “We can talk while we ride. I’m heading to the Hart, and imagine that’s your destination as well,” he said back as the big elf settled behind him. It was a similar warmth to Lynwood and Artemis couldn’t keep a small smile off his face.

With a careful movement of his legs and a whistle Artemis got Sir Francis moving back towards the East District. “First, this is Sir Francis de Eradrald the XII, and he is the newest member of my family. Second, the East Hall comes along well, and Ksenia should be having her examination today for acceptance as an official seamstress. Finally, I believe my relationship with Katarya Frost may be ended,” he said, ticking off his fingers as Sir Francis slowly carried them south.

“The short of the last, she was hurt badly by some gang members. I rescued her, but she took an injury to the guts. When I went back later, after caring for her the day of, she was… cagey with me. Had her walls up, refused to talk to me like I was someone she cared for. I- I got upset and used the ring she gave me as a demand to be treated better then told her to find me when she was willing to do so. It’s been a bit since then and I’ve not heard from her or seen Nyx. I’m worried we’re finished,” Artemis said, trying to keep his emotions from his face and not ramble too much.

“I want to make sure she’s not forgotten the contract she made with the Goose. She doesn’t need that trouble in her life. I figure, if she won’t talk to me you outrank the both of us and can convince the Quimellë to arbitrate for me,” he finished, shrugging and giving himself a shake to keep his emotions at bay.

“That’s the short version, how was your trip? You looked in a rough way back there. Is Raen alright?” he asked before finally falling quiet. He had to give the man a chance to think and reply if he expected this to be anything like a conversation.
Word count: 387
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Dáire had almost refused Artemis’ offer for a ride, but his anger having bank, all the adrenaline he’d been running on abandoned his blood stream, leaving him feeling mentally and physically taxed. The warmth that radiated off the other man’s body as they lumbered through the streets, helped to keep him present in the moment while the younger man recalled the deluge of situations that had come to pass in the time he’d been away, living his own nightmare on the other side of the province. A faint smile had tugged at the corners of his mouth while Arty introduced him to the new family member, the pride and joy in the fact not easily missed in the man’s tone of voice.

As the subject changed, he didn't need to see the man’s face to understand the emotions he must be waging an internal war with. He wasn't sure why, whether for his own selfish reason or to comfort the other man, but he wrapped himself around the other man in a gentle embrace, listening to it all with a heavy heart. What had his friends gotten themselves into this time- and was it reparable?

A cold and humourless laugh rumbled out of him when Artemis went on to ask about his trip. “Raen’s fine - he’s lucky they were there to kill me, otherwise he wouldn’t have fared so well” He said, all but growling the last few words. Taking a deep, cleansing breath, he willed the flaring anger to cool sufficiently enough so he could think, and deal with the more pressing problem now presented to him. “Let’s speak no more of all that right now - first we’ll work out this Kat situation.”

He thought hard for a moment, he knew the woman had cared for Artemis, her sudden change perplexed him greatly, she could be cold but he had believed her loyal. “Is it possible there is more that you have not known of? I know she can often live up to her name, but such a change does not seem in keeping with what I know of her. She cared, that much was evident even to the bystanders at the Hart. I can speak to her if you wish, and see if she will shed any further light to another person.” It would be a welcome, if only brief, distraction from his own problems. Which only made him feel guilty for such a thought for having passed through his mind, he’d never wish the current emotional torment upon either of them. “If you need me to add weight to your request to the Quimellë, I will do so, the less heated the situations becomes the better.”

He sighed deeply, the warmed air ruffling the short locks atop Artemis’s head. Elara wouldn’t like being dragged into what he could only assume she’d see, as useless and tedious relationship drama.
Word count: 498
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis shivered slightly, unconsciously leaning back into the much bigger man as arms wrapped around him. He felt like he was being dipped in a sunbeam and the scent of ocean salt blended with the something uniquely Dáire to fill his nostrils.

When the elf spoke of Raen and some attack there was anger and darkness in the words. Artemis understood something dangerous had taken place. He wondered at what the Elves’ trip had been about, but he would accept Dáire’s request and hold his tongue. He shrugged at the suggestion that there was something more to Kat’s pushing him away.

“I thought that, but she was refusing me at every turn. Perhaps you have the right of it, but I fear it will not matter now,” he said more faintly than he intended. There was something about their closeness that made him want to whisper, to force the elf alone to hear him.

“I would appreciate this being clean if that is at all possible. I harbor no further ill will against her. She is free to walk whatever path she wishes. I just hate being kept at arm’s length,” he said, adjusting his seat slightly backwards. He’d begun to be uncomfortably close to the pommel of his saddle.

“Of your adventure, I’ll ask only if you need more stitches. I think I have a bit more cognac and I so rarely get to practice that particular skill on others,” Artemis said, turning only his head to grin at Dáire. He pushed Sir Francis to increase his pace slightly, they were still traveling much slower than he’d come moving outward, but they’d best anyone walking by a long way.

“If things don’t go too sideways, maybe I could convince you to join us for the party tonight? Ksenia’s elevation is a huge boon and we’re due for the inspection to open the Hall soon,” Artemis felt a little giddy as he pushed away his other concerns for the time. This ride was a thing he would treasure, no matter how the day ended, and he wanted to remember it well.

“There’s a cute Kerasoka girl in the neighborhood too, she’s got a flirtatious streak a mile wide, and the eyes and lips to match it. She hasn’t a clue about the Hart, and I think I won’t ever tell her, even if I think she could give the bard a run for his coin purse. It’s nice to see a woman respected for only her contribution rather than her heritage,” Artemis chuckled softly at the idea of the disruption Hannah would cause to the Hart if she traded bluster with Raen.

He looked around, recognizing more and more buildings, and realized they’d come to the Hart before much longer. He began to steel himself, building his inner walls and letting his mental armor settle into place. They would find him professional and straightforward, he had no quarrel here that he knew. "Do you think they installed any moose hitches? I don't believe Sir Francis needs one, but I don't want to get in trouble," he said laughing at the idea of the moose looming over any horses nearby.
Word count: 548
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Dáire could hear the resignation in the thief’s voice, it was unmistakable in the softly spoken words. “Of course friend, if that is what you want then I will aid you in whatever way I can to achieve that outcome.”

It was a strange feeling, to be close and involved with these sorts of issues. Over the decades he’d watched from afar, curious and yet baffled at the same time; why would anyone willingly risk these outcomes? Artemis squirming in front of him, soon snapped him off that train of thought with a sudden flush of awareness. He was still holding the smaller man within his arms, he should have let go, her should have - but the warmth seeping from Artemis, had begun soothing the sharp edges his past week had wrought.

He snorted wryly and returned the man’s grin, “I could have done with that offer a few days ago, I don’t know if there would be much to be gained, in stitching the wound now.” He’d all but forgotten about the arrow wound in his shoulder, getting to the Hart having taken up all his minds capacity in those minutes. Experimentally, he rotated the joint and grimaced slightly, the pain was less than he had anticipated, but nowhere near as it should be yet.

He’d yet to see this side of the man, the boy below the hard, professional criminal air that he wore like a second skin. “If I didn't know better Master Black, I’d say you were trying to push me in a certain direction.” Or maybe he intuitively knew just how desperate he was for a distraction at the moment. He chuckled, as much to himself as about the words spoken, the sound rich sound originating deep in his chest. “I think a party and some drink is exactly what I need after the weeks I’ve had; I appreciate the invite. Sad, that we won’t see Raen meet his match this time”

He smiled broadly at the mental image that sprang to mind, the huge moose scattering the tired and often old horses that frequented the streets around the Hart. “You can leave him around back, Aurae owes me should she have any objections.”

Dáire stood back and watched quietly as Artemis ensured his mighty steed was content in the small yard behind the hart before they came back around, striding through the front doors and into the heat within. He spotted Aurae and Elara slipping through one of the heavy oak doors leading to their studies. He wasn't able to keep the sneer from curling his lip, animosity sweeping through him at the sight of them. He’d deal with all that once he’d fulfilled his promise to Artemis though.
Word count: 469