Jourin Trouble

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: Jourin Trouble

Post by Ksenia »

Standing next to Lena, Ksenia took a sip of the broth from the stew. "This is excellent, Lena. Thanks for being flexible, I know the uproar this morning made things a bit difficult," she said with a small smile.

Lena nodded. "I’ve got plenty. Figure I can keep it warm for the crew and they can come get a bowl when they’re hungry." She smiled. "Might have to make more bread though, I doubt I’ve got enough here for everyone again.”

At Artemis’ call, Ksenia turned. "Oh no, he’s got his ‘business clothes’ on again," she said with a little dismay. "I hope he’s up to whatever he’s planning, because he looked like a day’s worth of bad road this morning." Lena nodded sympathetically. "If you need help, feel free to ask any of the crew that’s here, and tell them I said so," Ksenia told Lena.

Ksenia looked down at herself, sighed, and shook her dress out a bit. Fortunately, there were no stains on it, but she did need to change into a fresh underdress and stockings. Heading toward the hall, she saw Artemis heading slowly toward Sir Francis’ stall. She changed direction to come up next to him and touched his shoulder. "Give me a moment before you leave. I need to fix my clothes a bit," she said, before heading for the trapdoor.

Artemis nodded without looking away from the bit of tack he was fiddling with. "No problem, and no real rush," he said in his affected bored voice. Ksenia rolled her eyes as she opened the trapdoor. She climbed down the ladder and glanced around at the bottom in case Deb was still lurking in the shadows.

Making her way to the room, she opened the door and began rummaging to find her belongings. Finding a fresh underdress and stockings, she made sure the door was shut before stripping off her dress to put the underclothes on. Artemis may have seen her naked before but she didn’t really want to give him any more opportunities - and absolutely not Daire. The Kerasokan was much taller and probably stronger than Artemis, and Ksenia didn’t know him well at all. Certainly not as well as Artemis did now, she thought with a smirk as she glanced to the enormous bed the crew had set up.

Once she’d finally gotten everything back to rights, she perched on a chair to actually lace and tie her boots properly. She looked through her bag and her pocket to make sure she’d be well prepared for whatever Artemis had in mind. Her new pocketwatch, sketchbook, basic kit...oh! The handkerchief she’d embroidered for Artemis. She supposed that could be his birthday present, though she’d hoped to have more for him. Getting him away from Daire would be difficult, she considered, but she didn’t want to embarass Artemis in front of the elf he was clearly enamored with; she didn’t know if the Kerasokan knew that Artemis couldn’t read. She tucked the handkerchief in her pocket and decided she’d find some time to give it to him during the day.

Making her way up the ladder and into the hall proper, she found the others standing next to Sir Francis, tacked and ready to go. Seeing her, Artemis slowly stepped up the makeshift stairs the crew had constructed and slid into the massive animal’s saddle.

“Anyone in particular care to join me?" he asked, looking around at the three on the ground.

Ksenia sighed and climbed the stairs. "If I don’t ride with you, I’ll hold everyone back," she said. Artemis moved himself to the back of the saddle and patted in front of him. Grimacing, Ksenia realized that the usual method of mounting a horse wouldn’t work at all on the much broader back of Sir Francis. She put a hand on the seat and one foot in the stirrup, jumping up to get her hips on the moose’s back. She swung her leg over his withers and fished around for the other stirrup, pulling her skirt to the sides as much as she could.

Artemis scooted forward and wrapped his arms around her waist, handing her the reins. "Are you sure you’re okay enough to do this?" she muttered to him as she adjusted the reins in her hands.

“Not at all," he whispered next to her head before leaning back and whistling sharply. Sir Francis huffed and began to lumber forward, sweeping his antlers slowly to clear the path as if it being blocked was a common problem. Ksenia gulped a little and instinctively tried to wrap her legs around the enormous animal’s barrel - although it had the same effect as her doing absolutely nothing.

“Let’s get this done quickly, then. If you have a minute later, I do have something to give you," Ksenia said quietly, leaning back slightly into Artemis. "You might not want Daire around though, unless he knows about the reading thing.”

Artemis’ eyes lit up and his facade of business immediately disappeared. "I love presents!" He hugged her briefly before returning to a less crushing wrap of his arms. "Dáire knows, from the map, but I appreciate the concern." He began to hum to himself softly, waiting until they were out onto the main road before saying anything further. "Jourin." He didn’t quite shout to get the woman’s attention. "I can’t read. That’s a big deal apparently. Do you know how?" he asked her, shrugging at the idea of it in general.

“It’ll come in handy, now that you’re being all businesslike," Ksenia said. "I’ve told you I’m happy to teach you and read for you when need be." She gently bumped her elbow into the man behind her.

“I haven’t heard a bedtime story in a very long time," he said, his eyes going a little distant for several seconds. "Oh, do you know how to cook? I can teach you that." Artemis turned to look to Dáire. "You have to know how to cook, you’ve been all over right?" He'd gone back to talking at a more normal volume, very aware of his lover's strong hearing.

Ksenia chuckled. "Remind me when we get back. I did get that book of folktales, and I’m sure I can find more if you like that.”

"I will, though perhaps not tonight," he said. "I want to talk to my Guardian." He smiled down at the ranger.

Frowning, Ksenia turned her shoulders to face Artemis more. "Deb has to hunt tonight, so I can’t stay with her. I need somewhere to sleep," she said. "Could you try to - finish up or whatever - by the time we go to bed?”

Artemis turned back and nodded slowly, putting his forehead on her shoulder. "It’s your room too, your home too. I promise we won’t do anything to drive you away again," he said just loud enough for Dáire if the man was listening.

“Um. Thanks," she said, mildly surprised. She’d been prepared to argue and eventually concede to a bunk with the crew if she had no other options. "I’ll try to give you space when you ask for it. As you pointed out, it’s home for both of us and there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to have friends and visitors over." Ksenia relaxed slightly. "I’m mostly concerned about a safe space to sleep and store my things.”

Artemis whistled softly, a slow lilting version of words Ksenia recognized. "{Friend. Welcome.}" He lifted his head after the sound faded and looked around at the city streets, taking amusement from the stares they were getting from those wandering about in the early morning.
Word count: 1329
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire drifted across the main room of the hall in a world all of his own, Artemis addressing his friends and crew in the background somewhere. Retrieving his bow and assorted daggers that’d been foolishly left lying the night before, he fiddled with the tension on the bow and sorted out the disarray of arrows that’d been scattered. Glancing up at the sound of his name, he quietly nodded his agreement to Artemis, even as the man’s mind seemed to be moving swiftly onto the next pressing thought. Settling his sturdy leather belt with its elven daggers on his hips once more, he grabbed the bow and quiver again, slinging both over his back and wandering towards the huge moose. He let the chatter and conversation of the humans flow around him, taking little notice in the topics under discussion. It was such a strange sensation to awaken and be surrounded by so many people, especially when they were all humans as well- well, mostly, he had forgotten about Ksenia.

He helped Artemis saddle the animal by throwing the strangely designed saddle high into the air and onto the beasts expansive back. He found it baffling how non-elves managed to kit and groom this creature out on a regular basis. Dáire was silent as he worked, frowning occasionally as a myriad of thoughts all tried to rush through his head at once. His life’s direction hadn’t been this uncertain in so many years.

He wandered through the gaping doorway and into the weak winter sun, which now held the barest suggestion of warmth. His breath escaped his lungs in large white plumes as he watched the humans pass by the hall in their mundane routined lives. His mind wandered as his attention followed a scrappy looking child running into an alley further down the street , what would it be like to lead such a predictable life? And furthermore, how could they stand to lead such an uneventful (boring if he was being brutally honest) life over the duration of such a short life span as well? It was one of the many things that baffled him about humans, and had done so for many years.

The weight of eyes settling on his back had him turning back to the warehouse, Artemis was astride his mount and the young halfling was sliding in front of the man. The shrill whistle Aretmis let loose, cut through his head and he winced, the sound reminding him of the call to work some of the folk in the north often used. The two babbled on in quiet tones as they headed for the main road, he and the stranger walked in stoic silence to either side, his senses sharpening back to a more normal level with every step he took through the cool morning.

In all honesty he’d forgotten his lover didn't know how to read, and he felt a bit guilty for the comment regarding the endearment that morning in that moment. Trying to stay in the moment, he made a conscious effort to keep tabs on the conversation that continued on above his head. The easy repartee between the two friends had him smiling quietly to himself as the streets passed them by. He grimaced though when the topic of cooking came up and Artemis pulled him into the discussion. “When a ranger doesn’t carry many supplies to season, our meals tend to be fast and simple. I’ve never had a cause to learn to cook anything special, truth be told.”

Dáire found himself raising a brow at the man when he spoke of needing to talk that night, the smile on his face seemingly genuine which only ignited his curiosity. Though, he was soon reminded why it was a stupid idea to track other peoples conversations. The words exchanged next only reminded him with a cold wash of reality, that he was in fact currently homeless - again. The need to source lodgings to tide him over until he left the city again, had him groaning quietly to himself as he looked around the old street. He’d already spent longer in this one place than he had anywhere else in years. “I will need to leave this afternoon Artemis- I have business to wrap up at The Hart, and then lodgings to secure elsewhere.” he gave Ksenia what he hoped came across as a reassuring smile but for all he knew, he could just look deranged. At least he’d be out of her hair.

The idea of the man he barely knew and had spent only the one night with, living and sleeping with a very pretty woman; and then taking into consideration the other that’d been lounging on his bed that morning, raised an emotion within Dáire that he wasn't entirely comfortable feeling. The thought of moving out and on from this filthy city was an increasing temptation. To run from the overwhelming emotions that he knew were only just around the next bend - not that he’d admit this reasoning to himself however. He frowned, lines of concentration marring his brow as his logic and emotions continued to collide.

Suddenly there was a loud huff, a great beast beside him, and deft hands running soothing strokes through his hair. "Guardian, I can't let you go back alone. I won't make you wait for me, but I won't let you go as anything less than your best." Artemis spoke firmly, nodding as if he'd decided something. He continued to run his fingers along any part of Dáire he could reach and Dáire could feel the tension and worry seeping out of his body under his thief’s touch.

"You can go tomorrow afternoon, and rest tonight and tomorrow. We can talk, you can hold me, and I can pretend I have no worries for a little longer." The thief smiled down at him softly, his face relaxed in a way entirely unlike his usual playful grin. "Let me protect you, even if only in the smallest way." Dáire smiled softly back, his expression open and unguarded for a few rare moments as warmth spread in his chest. Moving closer to the moose, he rested his cheek against the man’s leg as they walked the cobbled street, enjoying the connection however brief. ‘I wonder if he knows how much those simple words mean to me’ Dáire thought, longing for this bubble they found themselves in never to burst.

Artemis tilted his head as if something had just occurred to him. "I have someone you need to meet after the bank and healer. It's important I share this with you, no matter what you decide." He nodded to himself and moved Sir Francis away again to walk between Jourin and Dáire. Dáire shot him a questioning look as he righted himself and lumbered along once again, the imposing, weathered stone front of the bank becoming visible in the distance.

“Well that doesn’t sound foreboding at all.” He said wryly, all the while puzzling over who the man could think he must meet? He thought it’d be fairly evident from his interactions that such social occurrences were a rarity for him.
Word count: 1223
Jourin Argall
Character
the Ill-Fated
Level
25 / 25 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Fighter

Post by Jourin Argall »

As soon as Artemis rejoined his companions aboveground, Jourin alerted on him like a bloodhound. Her head swiveled in his direction at the slightest creaking of the steps, the food she had only been too eager to wolf down a second ago momentarily forgotten. She scrutinized him and his companion, taking in their respective condition. If they weren't as fit as could be, still they didn't look any worse for wear.

Artemis raised his voice across the yard and everyone else quickly quieted to give him their attention. All eyes -- or at least the majority of them -- were on him as he approached the tables and began dispensing orders for the afternoon.

Jourin abided with all due patience until he called her name. She sopped up the broth in the bottom of her bowl with the remainder of her bread, tucked the whole of it into her mouth, and rose from the bench without further delay. Now that he was here and calling her to his side, she could better appreciate the food in her belly and what a gift it had been to have the chance to fill it in peace. She could appreciate, too, the opportunity to stretch her legs and be on the move again.

While Ksenia went below to refresh her garments, Jourin hung about Sir Francis's paddock with Artemis and Daire. She stood at a slight distance and with her back to them to allow them sufficient privacy and to convey to anyone else that she was already on guard duty. To that end, she swept her gaze around the work yard and over what street she could make out from her position.

Within minutes of Ksenia's return they were finally underway. Jourin took up a watchful position from beside Sir Francis and tried not to frown up at the pair riding astride. As handy as the beast had been in that morning's altercation, there was no denying what easy targets his riders were atop his back. She would not be able to protect either of them from a ranged assault, not when they were higher than she could hope to jump.
The sound of her name pulled her focus back to the present moment. She lifted her eyes higher towards the profile of Artemis's face, or what she could see of it.

"I cannot," she said, answering in her usual brief, straightforward manner. She did not express an interest in learning.

After that, the conversation turned towards other matters, ones that had very little at all to do with her by the sounds of them. Even so, she listened to each of them speak in turn while her eyes continued to scan their surroundings as it passed them by. The population grew denser on the streets the nearer they drew to the bank; merchants, guards, and pedestrians of all sorts were growing more abundant. Most kept their distance, deterred either by Sir Francis or the two flanking him on foot.

"Nobody needs to go anywhere alone," Jourin said suddenly, joining the discussion once it had moved away from sleeping arrangements. Without taking her wary eye off of the people nearest to them, she added more helpfully, "I will join you wherever it is if you permit it."
Word count: 545
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

“There you have it,” Artemis said expansively. “Tonight we relax and recover, tomorrow you go with Jourin and, if I’m feeling better, me.” Artemis nodded to himself, happy to have the matter settled in his eyes. They were near enough to the bank now that he adopted his businessman’s persona again.

“You both are going to be assumed to be guarding me and the Craftmistress. Please don’t dissuade anyone of the notion, but know I am expecting no trouble here. The attack was likely outside the bank’s control or interest, or at least I’ve never heard of the like from them before. We will be rightfully outraged regardless,” he winked at the last before settling his features into a mask of slight annoyance.

“Moose parking,” he chuckled to himself as he guided Sir Francis into a space intended to hold a full carriage. He readied to hop from the mount like he usually did and stopped himself as a ripple of pain went through his chest. He groaned softly and looked around with a sheepish grin. “Help please?” he asked, making small grabbing motions.

Obviously trying to suppress a grin, Daire reached up for Artemis and held onto the man’s hips in a steady grasp. Allowing him to slide from the saddle in his own time and land softly on the cobbled street before Daire, all while attempting to prevent the thief’s bruised ribs from stretching unnecessarily. Sharing a soft smile briefly with Aretmis, the elf nodded his agreement to the plan and stepped back out of the businessman’s path.

“And they say it’s difficult to find competent and attractive guards these days. Apparently the nobles snatch them up like honeyed morsels,” he said with a grin as he straightened his clothes and prepared himself.

“Could I get a hand please?” Ksenia asked from atop the moose. “Sorry, but I don’t want to twist an ankle or make myself more trouble.” She swallowed a bit, trying not to hunch her shoulders.

Jourin was suddenly there, lifting Ksenia easily from the side of the mount and placing her squarely on the ground. The woman said nothing, her face a blank mask as she stepped back and returned her attention to Artemis and then scanning their surroundings.

After a moment he looked over to Ksenia and offered her his arm. “Craftmistress, we have favors to be granted,” he said haughtily as he strode into the bank with the woman beside him. For the East district, it was an imposing structure; stone walls plastered smooth, a heavy door with iron reinforcements, and bars on the small windows in front.

Inside, the place was a mix of spartan and mercantile, with a table and chairs sat off to one side and a massive counter that spanned the breadth of the room. There was a door to one side, reinforced like the front door, but with lighter iron. The place felt much busier than usual and Artemis’ practiced eye immediately noticed the significantly increased guards.

There were double the usual count in obvious kit and regalia, decked out to draw the eye and attention from the other plainclothes guards spread out in somewhat random places. There was also a line to the front, something Artemis hadn’t seen at this bank in any of his prior visits. He started to grow very wary when suddenly a wiry looking man approached him and halted a respectable distance away.

“Mr. Black, Craftmistress Ksenia, if you would please come with me we can take you to a more private setting to discuss any business matters,” the man said, bowing slightly but not lowering his eyes. Artemis recognized the fellow from prior visits as one of the managers.

‘Must have been more than just a courier hit,’ the thief thought to himself quickly before nodding to the man, letting only the faint hint of a smile twitch at the edge of his lips.

“Thank you sir, this way please,” the manager said and turned smartly to walk towards the only inner door with restrained strides. It was clear he wanted to avoid damage to the bank’s reputation. Artemis was all too happy to take small advantages where he received them.

The manager removed a heavy looking key from a hip pocket, tugging out a length of fine chain that led back into his clothes with the motion. He slid the key into the lock and released the mechanism with a very audible click that piqued Artemis’ interest. ‘Would paid good coin to have time alone with a lock like this, were I not such a busy man these days,’ he thought and quickly quashed the excitement from his eyes.

He motioned for Ksenia to precede him into what looked to be a short but wide hallway that immediately ended in a second door in both available directions. There was another audible click as the manager closed the door behind the group and then a soft ringing could be faintly heard past the door ahead.

The door swung open silently, revealing a rather plush looking carpet lining a stone hallway that immediately took a hard right to travel out of sight. “Second room on the left please,” the manager said not quite herding the group forward. Artemis swept his hand out and followed closely in Ksenia’s footsteps.

He was amused they’d not been disarmed, checked, or even directly confronted. That all meant this area led to nothing directly, and any important documents, stamps, money, and materials would all be brought in separately. It also meant there was at least one pair of eyes watching them all ready to respond.

The second room on the left was a rather comfortable looking affair, three plush but muted-colored chairs around the edges of the room, two in a corner together with a small table between them, and another two similar chairs in the center of the room just in reach of a broad rosewood desk. Atop the desk was a large writing pad, several sets of pens and clean paper, and a merchant’s scale. The seat behind the desk looked far more worn, but no less comfortable.

Artemis waited as Ksenia was seated and followed suit, relaxing into the chair and turning up his ‘mildly irritated merchant’ mask a fraction as the manager moved around the desk to settle in.
Word count: 1071
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia took the offered arm with a featherlight touch. If Artemis and Daire were together - well, she didn’t want to cause trouble. At least Daire seemed more attentive than - that person. Artemis had put on his merchant persona along with the clothes, it seemed, and for lack of a better idea, Ksenia began to channel some of Mam’s haughtiness. It never came naturally to her, but if she could pretend she was playing a role it was a little less difficult.

Keeping contact with Artemis’ arm allowed Ksenia to feel the tension building in his muscles as they approached the front of the building, which had a line of people waiting. She didn’t recall ever seeing more than one other person not employed by the bank any other time they’d been there. A familiar-looking bank employee stepped forward and spoke to Artemis, who followed the man into the interior of the bank, taking Ksenia with him. He indicated that she should go first through the various doorways, and Ksenia wondered if he was using her as a decoy - unconscious though it might be.

The last room they came to had a collection of plush chairs in various groupings, although the group by the desk seemed to dominate the room. She took a seat and noted that Artemis had waited for her before taking his own chair. It amused her a bit, but she hid her smile behind her imperious mask as she saw Artemis become slightly more irritated in his expression.

Gazing around the room with affected indifference, Ksenia noticed the chairs were grouped in conversational clusters that almost gave the feeling of being in an empty salon. The upholstery wasn’t terribly worn so clearly this wasn’t a room in frequent use. The heavy rosewood desk before them had a few delicate carvings and molding around the top; a bit of dust had collected in a few tight corners.

Besides the furniture and materials atop the desk there was little else in the room. She hoped that the manager - or whoever he was - didn’t have too much they’d have to read. She wasn’t feeling particularly clever and was out of ideas for getting Artemis the information without uncovering his secret.

As the manager sat down behind the desk, she noticed that he looked a bit worn. He had placed his hands on the desk while he sank into the seat as though he’d needed the support. Ksenia rolled her shoulders back and lifted her chin just a touch. Whatever this was, it didn’t seem like it was going well.
Word count: 445
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis could feel the tension in the room as every tiny creak of the manager’s attempt to sit comfortably echoed loudly in his mind. ‘I will not flinch or show eagerness. Mine is to wait, to counter, to overcome with speed and control,’ he chanted to himself as the seconds ticked by. He flexed his fingers under the desk, uncertain what dangers he may have to brave but ready to meet them.

The manager took on final scoot in his chair before placing his elbows on the table and clearing his throat. "Mr. Black, Craftmistress," he started with an affected but strained smile. "As I am sure you are aware given present company, there was a robbery recently. I am here to provide you relevant details, collect any grievances, and ensure you are made whole."

Artemis had the wherewithal to look a practiced mixture of shocked and offended all at once without seeming overly dramatic. He said nothing and returned to listening, avoiding the desire to lean in and hang on the man’s words.

“A delivery wagon and its courier were robbed during the morning rounds. Several sheafs of credit letters were stolen as well as any documents in the courier’s possession," the manager continued, removing a folder from the desk drawer and quickly scanning through the contents before placing a single sheet on the desk. "We show you had not credits outgoing, but did have a request for inspection. If you’d like, we can reaffirm the letter here and I will ensure personally it is filed immediately."

Artemis nodded solemnly and adopted a grave expression. "Yes, my facility was in fact attacked this morning by thugs and ruffians. Thankfully we possessed sufficient force to drive them off, but I am concerned for the consequences when they slink back to their lair." Artemis’ voice seemed to have settled on annoyed merchant, conveying a general disdain for what was likely lost profit and property more so than the aforementioned thugs.

“Ah, we have a fund set aside to cover any damage as a direct result, and this would certainly qualify," the manager said with a very-businesslike nod. He was clearly happy nothing too terrible had occurred.

“The damages were primarily to people, I would prefer to simply be compensated for healer’s services. Is that possible?" Artemis raised his brow a notch and his tone implied that it was going to be done regardless of whether it truly was possible or not.

“Of course, as for the inspection notification, please wait here a moment and I will fetch the relevant documents as well as a voucher for services rendered." The manager bowed slightly before rising and moving out of the room with brisk but restrained efficacy.

Artemis remained somewhat rigid until the man was well out of earshot. "This is interesting, I wasn’t expecting a full on robbery, just a bump and run. Should make all the administrative things easier if the bank is the one applying pressure." He grinned at his companions before settling his mask back into place.

The manager returned several minutes later and placed two packets on the table. "This is for the healers, a comprehensive voucher to be used as you see fit," he said as he touched one of the packets. "This is for the inspection and related documents."

“Yes, while we are making submissions, I need to remove one Katarya Frost from the Hall. She has failed me as a merchant and is no longer welcome. Instead the Hall will use Craftmistress Ksenia’s writ for confirmation." Artemis grinned openly at Ksenia, letting his pride show through even his mask.

The manager nodded, taking the statement in stride, and shuffled several papers before placing two distinct sheets in front of Artemis and Ksenia. "I will need the two signatures, here and here," he indicated at the bottom of a document, "agreeing to remove the writ." He then pointed to the second document. "I will also need the writ or confirmation, and then another pair of signatures here to place the Craftmistress into the record."

Artemis nodded and passed a pen to Ksenia. He would wait for her to sign and then filling in the remaining section with his new stylized signature. While he waited he made a show of carefully scanning the document and pretending to absorb the contents.

“This will take effect as soon as it is filed then, and I see here it mentions this affords additional responsibilities. That does not interfere with the Craftmistress duties correct?" Ksenia asked after she’d read some herself.

“It should not, the duties are primarily ceremonial and tax related and would only be relevant if you were to pay the taxes through a party not directly linked to the bank or House Lericyro. As we are both a recognized bank and affiliate there are no additional duties required."

Ksenia continued on and asked several more questions, clarifying any point she thought Artemis might care about without seeming entirely unfamiliar with the document itself. When the questions were finished she signed her document and passed it to Artemis. As he wrote, she removed her pocket watch and presented it for inspection. The manager nodded his thanks and collected the documents once they were signed.

“I will ensure these are delivered promptly with the new request for inspection. Is there anything further I can do for you today Mr. Black, Craftmistress?" The manager looked very professionally calm, but a clear smile was teasing at the edges of his features. It was plain he’d not expected things to go so smoothly with a property owner.

“One final thing, I wish to have official letters of protection recorded for my accompaniment. They are to be recognized as hired guards and afforded the appropriate rights and responsibilities." Artemis indicated Dáire and Jourin with an almost lazy motion of his hand.

“Of course, sir. I’ll have the appropriate paperwork sent over to you immediately and then rush processed on it’s return. It has been a pleasure serving you, and we hope this incident will not prevent profitable business in the future." The manager rose from his seat and shook Artemis’ hand firmly before doing the same to Ksenia. "If you’ll follow me, I can return you to your day."
Word count: 1058
Jourin Argall
Character
the Ill-Fated
Level
25 / 25 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Class: Fighter

Post by Jourin Argall »

Self-consciousness is not an emotion Jourin feels often. Her feathers were, by the estimation of those few who spent more than a passing evening with her, very difficult to ruffle. Illiteracy was common among the working poor and her usefulness had never hinged on her femininity -- or the lack thereof. She needed neither to break bones and knew none to be stronger for their body's ability to read or do a turn in a fancy dress.

So she was perfectly at ease to accompany her new wards as she saw them into the bank. If she had been at all knowledgeable on the subject, she would have known that the building's appointments were modest but not particularly noteworthy. Comfortable perhaps, and certainly clean, but that was the extent.

Jourin's attention was not actually on the furnishings in any case, but the people and the layout of the rooms as they passed through them. While largely immutable, her face did betray some of her consternation at the small crowd that had gathered inside. She shadowed Artemis and Ksenia by two steps, the hand obscured by her cloak resting lightly on the pommel of her sword.

They were lead to a small room by a man Jourin couldn't even pick her teeth with. She stared holes into his back the whole way regardless. Once they were inside and Artemis, Ksenia and the narrow banker were taking their seats, she took up a position in front of the door itself, arms crossed. She ceded the space closest to Artemis and Ksenia to Dáire, though she watched all of them.

The discussion between the trio had very little to do with her save for the very end. Until that point she did not attend the proceedings very closely and did not move except to get out of the banker's way when he left to retrieve pertinent documentation. After Artemis instructed the clerk to add her and Dáire to the roster as bodyguards, she allowed herself to believe he was serious about letting her stay after all. It was a comforting thought.

Shortly thereafter the meeting was concluded and those not already standing got to their feet. Jourin opened the door and then preceded them out into the hall. A glance up and down the corridor confirmed there were no visible threats and she subsided at the back of the group once more, letting someone else take the proverbial lead.

The street seemed no less busy than it had been when they entered the bank, as is the nature of a popular thoroughfare during working hours. Jourin knit a brow at the hustle and bustle but continued to keep her precise feelings on the matter to herself. She stepped forward, bringing herself more or less even with Artemis and Ksenia, and redirected people out of their path with an outstretched arm and a look. Most were happy to get out of her way once they got a look at her, which suited her purposes just fine, and they wouldn't have much trouble reaching Sir Francis.
Word count: 513
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

Dáire found himself rather amused as he watched the change overcome Artemis, his roguish lover transformed before his eyes and began emitting a strong aura of haughty importance, a perfect fit for a young merchant with coin a plenty to line his pockets. He watched closely as Ksenia delicately threaded her arm through Artemis' and he felt his lips quirk as her gaze, consciously or not, strayed his way. He still wasn't sure what to make of the relationships his lover appeared to have with the others who surrounded him on a regular basis.

Shaking that train of thought from his head, the looming building that was the East districts bank, came into clear view and commanded his attention. Staring around in a sort of fascination, he took in the imposing cold grey stone and plaster facade, before his gaze drifted to the hulking iron cradled doors. A steady stream of people flowed in and out the entry as they approached; unaware of the tension creeping into his companion, Dáire drifted along behind, towering above the majority of the patrons while a few dirty looks were fired his way. He ignored the humans unfriendly gazes and surveyed the room they then entered, his eyes traversing the space in a manner that spoke of a life spent guarded.

Dáire narrowed his eyes on the wirey older man that approached the small party, his gaze briefly flickered over both Jourin and himself with flash of something in his eyes that Dáire couldn't catch. Dáire felt his muscles stiffen fractionally as the man approached, he then spoke to Artemis with a practiced care before leading them out a side door and Dáire relaxed a bit. Ksenia led the way down a lavish corridor and into a vacant room, that he summarised had seen little use since it had been built. The carpet underfoot was plush and showed little wear, Jourin took up sentry by the doors as they entered, leaving Dáire a little lost. He was so far part the boundaries of his comfort zone, and he could probably count the number of times he’d been inside buildings such as this one on his fingers. With a silent grace, he settled on standing just off to the side and doing his best to stay out of their business, while remaining close enough to be useful should the unlikely need arise.

His mind began to wander easily enough, he was still tired and there was little reason for him to stay on guard at their current location. He’d found himself frowning as a sweep of Artemis’ arm in his direction caught his attention. Being recognised in an official capacity either meant the thief assumed he resided in the city and would be on call, or that he wished him to stay. Dáire wasn't sure at this point how he felt about either line of thought, and that alone unsettled him further.

The promise of a talk later that day with Artemis was a comfort to him though, he needed to know where everything between them stood. The result of which would determine whether or not he was going to find himself moving on in search of new adventures yet again, leaving all the past months behind him; or remaining in this city longer than he had anywhere else since the day he’d fled his childhood home.

--

Cool air rushed into his lungs as they stepped out the doors of the bank, the low sun catching his eyes and causing him to blink rapidly as Jourin effortlessly carved a path through the humans, while Dáire casually brought up the rear of their little party. The large moose looked so out of place in the cobbled streets of Fellsgard, many children had stopped at a safe distance to gawk at the impressive creature. He couldn’t keep the grin from spreading across his face as he watched a particularly brave child, which he suspected couldn’t be more than 8, begin creeping closer to the relaxed Moose. Sir Francis merely gave the cautious little child a lazy glance before his eyes drifted shut once more, the large animal taking full advantage of the soft sun rays that gently bathed the street. The action was so innocent, full of youthful curiosity that it warmed Dáires heart, ’Oh to be so young once more’ He thought.
Word count: 741
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt his mask slipping as soon as they stepped out of the bank into the cool morning air. Jourin apparently took her duties seriously, and had practice employing them. Her human barricade certainly made reaching Sir Francis simpler. It had the added benefit of making Artemis feel safe, even if only slightly.

When he spotted the children, hesitating to approach the massive moose, the remainder of his mask melted away and he grinned broadly. "Come now Sir Francis, it is rude to ignore a visitor," he said, moving up and patting the great beast on the side of the neck.

Sir Francis snorted and shook his wooly head. "Come on then, I’ll give you a treat and you can say hello," Artemis said softly, turning his attention to the young girl now frozen in fear. "I have just the thing to make him love you." Artemis pulled a broken piece of carrot from his pocket and stepped over to hand it to the girl. "Stop just a bit away, and offer it up. His tongue is slimy, but he won’t bite. If he takes it, give him some scratches and a pat and say ‘thank you’."

The girl nodded, still looking a bit dazed, and approached Sir Francis. She thrust her hand into the air and the moose’s nose immediately flared. Sir Francis snuffled forward, reaching out with his lips like eager fingers before he slid his tongue out and slurped the carrot up. The girl squealed in delight and moved in to scratch and pet at the great beast’s head.

There were suddenly several more children standing much closer, looking between Artemis, Sir Francis, and the carrot-bringer. Artemis pulled out four more pieces of carrot. "I have only these four, but everyone can go for scratches. Stay over in the front though, he doesn’t like people sneaking up on him," Artemis explained, clearly delighted as he handed out carrots to the children and watched them approach in bunches.

When it seemed like everyone had gone Artemis rose up and whistled softly. Sir Francis raised his head and began to ignore the children. "We have to go now, but come visit sometime 13 North Rigging," he said to the children, not expecting them to care or remember, but privately reveling in the ability to state an address.

When everyone had gone off, minus the random passersby stopping to stare, Artemis turned to Dáire. "We need to make sure we get the real saddle made soon, but until then I can pretend you simply love lifting me in your arms in public," he grinned and moved to hug the man.

Once Ksenia and Artemis were settled with the help of their companions, the group set off towards the north east. "We’ll head to the Healer’s Hall nearest the site, should be a few streets over and up in the South District," Artemis said as he indicated with his hands. "Though we might have to get directions at some point."
Word count: 506