I'l Fana Kelbé - A Departure ... of sorts

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

I'l Fana Kelbé - A Departure ... of sorts

Post by Katarya Frost »

"That should cover the next three month's rent. But don't hold my room if I -"

"We won't."

Kat raised a brow and gave a short laugh. "You said that awfully fast! When Elára did not answer, Katarya nodded to herself and picked up her bag. "Thank you for taking me in. It meant a lot to me. I do hope you can find a suitable healer for the slum-folk ... both Elven and and Human."

The old Elf woman's gaze flicked to the young witch. "We'll manage." She said, before turning back to her books. In truth, the news that Katarya Frost was leaving them had come as some relief; the young Human had been nothing but trouble since Aurae had brought her into this family. "Safe Journey." Alára said, without looking up.

Kat hesitated a moment, but finally nodded. "Okay; thank you."

"What a splendid carriage." Kat said, with enough sarcasm to bring down a small castle.

The owner didn't seem to catch the tone, and gave her a wide grin. "Thank you kindly, miss! Me and Chestnut here will get you to Verdant's Row by nightfall!"

Kat sighed and gave a smile. "Chestnut? Such an original name!" She threw her bags on the back of the cart and then climbed in. "I put myself in your very ... capable hands."

"Halt! The guard at the gate shouted.

Katarya's hands clenched; something was happening.

A man stepped from the guardhouse, wearing the colours of House Nyshasa. He was a balding man in his forties with a smile that promised nothing good. "Take her." He commanded.

Katarya winced as she hit the floor, glaring up at the man who had man -handled her to this place. Down back-roads and alleys; back where they could not be seen; where her cries would not never be heard; she would never give themm that satisfaction.

Lifting herself to a sitting position, Kat rubbed her elbow. Then, as heeled shoes announced the arrival of whom she knew was behind all of this, she forced herself to her feet.

"Gideous." She hissed.

"Restrain her!" The man shouted, his voice filled with less confidence. "By order of House Nyshasa! She's a witch!"

And the guards moved forward, grabbed her wrists and slamming her face down into the dirt.

High above, a raven cawed.

Katarya sat with her back against a wall; it might have been cold ... she was surprised she could feel it; it had been so long she had even known the feeling old 'coldness'. Her eyes winced, however, when the door swung open and the torch, carried by a guard, lit up the dank call she had been kept in for the last several hours.

She looked up at Lord Gideous, lifting her chin and staying silent.

"How quaint! You hold on to your pride when you have nothing left, my dear. I gave you a chance to be something greater than you are; and yet you continued to walk around that disgusting part of the city - cavorting with Elves and paupers ... He grinned. "And look where your road ends!" He laughed, in a maniacal way, almost. "I was the one to catch, detain and finally end the line of the Frost family ... a plague on our city!" He took a breath. "You actually might have been the best of them - you know; the strongest, the most resolute ... You had so much potential that I was actually excited to see where this partnership might take us."

Kat lifted her her chin. "Go fu- Argh!" Kat dropped to her knees as pain shook her body.

It took four arrows before one finally hit the mark.

Nyx's lifeless body dropped to the floor - the fourth arrow finally hitting its mark -, her spirit hovering over the bird's corpse for a moment in it's own lament ... before fleeing back into the never-ending darkness.

Tears streamed down her face as Kat launched herself at the smug, smiling lord in front of her. Any spell or charm had been forgotten in her grief; Nyx was gone; dead. "I will destroy you!" She screamed!

The two guards who held her against the wall did not hold back, and the couldn't help but gasp as the stone wall grazed her back.

Lord Gideous took a step towards her. "Alas, my dear ... you will not. Indeed, he turned and walked to the door. "You will have no effect or impact on any person in this entire world again. Sleep well, Katarya; last of the Frost Witches." He looked back and cocked his head. "You're eyes have turned brown! How odd!"

Katarya screamed after him, but was silenced by a punch in the stomach. When finally she recovered enough to think, all was darkness.

Nyx had gone; she had burned every bridge. Her face lay on the cold floor - she didn't realise coldness was something that she could feel? It was strange.

The darkness was all-encompassing; she tried to breath calmness into herself. At one point, she even managed to crawl over to the door, putting her hand to the lock and whispering the opening spell"Láta" and she cried in pain as her spell was rejected, and the enchantments put on her prison flared.

There was nothing she could not. No one knew she was here, perhaps no one even cared.

She slumped back against the wall, pulling her hair from the tight braid and shaking her head, her mind going to the few people in her life that had gotten her somewhere; her mother, grandmother, Dáire, Cook, Elára ... poor Nyx! Poor beautiful Nyx!

She lay her head on the grimy, cold floor and stared into the darkness. "Tinwé"
Word count: 955

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"