[Mature] Make Merry While the Weather Shines

Take a chance, and throw yourself towards the new world with reckless abandon!

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Spirits of Adventure
Character
Unlimited Adventurers
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Bard

Re: [Mature] Make Merry While the Weather Shines

Post by Spirits of Adventure »

June was used to busy places, but the West District of Fellsgard was something else entirely. There just seemed to be an endless supply of people walking to and fro. Under normal circumstances that wouldn't have been a problem - if she had to she could have climbed on top of one of these warehouses - but the problem remained that she was carting a decent-sized crate that under no circumstances could she break. It was frustrating being forced to take the slow way around, but seeing as there wasn't really much other option, she trudged the cobblestone. With how uneven it was, this only made things more difficult and forced her to a slow pace - and slow was something June couldn't stand. "This was all so much easier back in Redwood..." she muttered to herself.

Of course, if June had wanted easy, she could have stayed at home. 'That's right - I'll never be a respected captain if I give up at small points. Come on, Fellsgard, you're not gonna stop me that easily!' June felt a surge of determination as she continued down the street - only to find that, unfortunately, Fellsgard was not going to let her off lightly as she soon found out once she reached one of the major intersections. There was a massive crunch from the road ahead, and June stepped a little quicker to see what had happened. And once she did, her heart sank.

In front of her, the intersection she'd crossed earlier was now completely blocked off - if not by the goods that now scattered across the street, then by all the people crowding around. Everyone liked watching an accident as long as it didn't happen to them, and people were starting to descend on the site with a look in their eye that even June knew full well to avoid. In any other case, June would be watching - maybe pinch a piece of fruit or two if she could get away with it - but at this point in time the matter of getting the Velvet Goose's supplies back to them was of a much higher priority. She looked around - being so unfamiliar with the West District though, she couldn't find any obvious way around. She could be trapped wandering the streets for hours, and she didn't want to be here any longer than she needed to be.

Though looking around, she did happen to spot an alleyway nearby looming off not far from where she was, beckoning her. June looked at it and grimaced. There wasn't any way to tell exactly where it would lead from here, but if it was close by surely she'd be able to go around without drawing too much more attention. The thought of people waiting in the dark alley with daggers scared her - especially if they tried to break the crate or make off with it - but at the same time she could be wandering the streets for an hour trying to find another way around with this crate, and it didn't feel like that much better a guarantee she'd be left alone. And waiting here until the intersection got cleared was an even worse idea. 'Alright...I'll just go in a little bit and take a look.' She curled up one of her hands in her pockets as she tugged the cart behind her, her senses on full alert as she slowly walked into the alley. She slowly crept up to the corner, as quietly as possible - though with the clack of the cart behind her there was only so quiet she could be. She desperately hoped it went past the crash site...but more that there wasn't anyone else here with her.
Word count: 630
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Class: Wizard

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

'Havin' a rough week-' Kent thought to himself sullenly as a cut of wind slipped right through his ragged cloak and rags. Pulling the sparse material closer, he frowned and corrected himself, '-no been a month.' He continued his slow movement down the uneven cobble alleyway.

There'd been some sort of racket up ahead and even if it was scraps he figured he could use the distraction. 'Not like I can afford any sort of scuffle- just bones at this point, but I might slip in and find-' he thought to himself forlornly, unable to imagine what he actually wanted besides food and a fire.

The racket of a well-used cart pulled him from his misery and his frown deepened, drawing furrows that made him appear much older than his years. 'Well-meaning folk don't come this way. Only bastards and smugglers- but don't hear any boots. Maybe someone trying their luck?'

Unsure but desperate, Kent straightened and strode around the corner doing his best to look strong and confident even as his senses buzzed. "Who's there?" he called out, but the rasp of his dried throat stripped it of all authority. He'd even forgotten to reach for his club at his belt.

What he saw was a nervous but determined young woman clearly on a mission. 'She's gorgeous-' his mind mumbled as he choked in surprise and coughed into his elbow. "No trouble- just- gimme the-" he started as he recovered, only to halt again in confusion at the cargo June carried.
Word count: 254
Spirits of Adventure
Character
Unlimited Adventurers
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

It was funny, it should only have been a short cut into the alleyways from where she went in – of that she was certain. Why did it feel like this alley seemed to stretch on into the darkness forever? Not that she had to go in that deep – there were turn-offs not too far away that seemed to stay closer than where she was, but you could get lost in these alleyways for hours if you weren’t careful.

June made a note that she’d have to come back here later. The delivery was priority of course, but perhaps when she had some spare time she’d be able to explore these a bit deeper. 'Who knows what treasures lie inside…?'

On the whole, despite having only taken a few steps inside this alley, it didn’t seem all that bad. Maybe she’d just been worried – after all if there weren’t all these alleyways, the roads would probably be a lot more blocked so surely plenty of people used this place!

As she rounded the corner, dragging the cart behind her though, she heard a cough and a shout. “Huh?” June she rounded the corner and came face to face with what could only be described as a very gaunt-looking fellow who looked like his clothes were about to fall right off of him.

Looking into his eyes, June experienced a brief moment of nostalgia – there was a recollection of an old friend of hers from back in Redwood, Tem Jethroson. Tem had been a bit of a skinny fellow as well – nothing on this guy though – but he’d been a pretty eager adventure, even if June had to gently guide him (and certainly never drag him into the forest unwillingly, no siree!). She couldn’t help but wish that Tem and the rest of her gang were here – her old gang had stayed back in Redwood, needing to look after the town in her absence. They were childish adventurers perhaps, but those days brought a warm glow to her heart. She really did miss them...

June gave the strange man a once over – he looked like a stick, and normally she would only have given him a four, but the warm nostalgia and that she saw a certain sparkle in his eyes despite his situation made up for first impressions. “You know, you look like I could plant you in the ground and put decorations up on you, man…” she stated – blunt perhaps, but not malicious. She nodded as she walked right up to him, tapping on his chest with a finger a couple of times. “Still, despite all that, you’ve got some potential. With a bit of practice and some exercise, maybe…”

June suddenly clapped her hands. “Yes, this’ll be brilliant! Right, I’ve decided.” She looked the man straight in the eyes with a beaming smile. “You’re going to be the first lieutenant of the New Merryweather Gang! Aren’t you lucky?” It would be a bit hard to get a new gang together in the big city, she had to admit, but this strapping lad seemed a perfectly good person to start with, once June pulled the hidden potential out of him. Without any hesitation, June continued. “Right, so your first mission, I’m going to need you to climb up on top of this house and tell me where the fastest way to get back onto the main road is – some idiot crashed an apple cart or something on the other side of this building and I need to get this stuff here delivered quick smart. Can’t leave it behind, very important.”

June reached around and gently pushed him towards the wall. “There you go, the main road should be just on the other side. Now get climbing, chop chop! Time’s a-wasting!” The Velvet Goose wouldn't be happy if she was delayed much longer, so she'd need all the help she could get getting back on track.
Word count: 672
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Kent wavered when the woman eyed him intently following her distracted reply. 'Folks without practice and training don't do that- only dangerous people-' his mind shouted at him as his club-wielding hand shook with fatigue. He considered running right then and there, getting away safe, then she finally said something coherent.

"Wha-" he started, but June just plowed right over him and kept talking. In the end he stared at her over his shoulder, taking a few stumbling steps towards the wall at her shove before finally turning back to square off again. "Who the fuck are you- and I ain't climbing nothin'," he defiantly stated, trying to raise himself up to a respectable stature again. "Road's just two lefts and a right anyway- you some kind of gang leader lost a bet?"

He looked at the cart behind June and then down the way she'd come, the thought of apples making his stomach rumble angrily. "You- you got some food, I can get you back to the road a few streets down," he offered after attempting to will his stomach to silence and weighing the situation for an instant.
Word count: 190
Spirits of Adventure
Character
Unlimited Adventurers
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

"First of all, don't swear in front of a lady. It's bad manners." June drew herself up - while she was still shorter than the man in front of her, she at least felt she cut a much grand stature than the man who looked like he might fall over at a stiff breeze, let alone a good dust-up. "Second of all, I just felt like starting one, and I like the look of your face so you're hired. What, do you think I need more muscles?" June bent her arms, showing off what biceps she had - they weren't exactly the most developed, admittedly, but she'd always more been impressed by her legs anyway. "Mmm, sitting behind a desk is a nightmare...I've really got to start working out again..." June muttered to herself.

However, in a moment of sheer brilliance, June actually managed to stay quiet long enough to hear him give directions back to the main road, around the fallen cart. "Oh, is that all? Well, you've already proven your worth in spades. Yes, I'm quite convinced you'll do nicely!" She responded happily - however, before she could impress the man's worth on him further, she heard his stomach rumble - a moment passed, and something clicked in June's distracted mind. "Oh. Oh! Ohhhh." June nodded - looking over him again, the man looked like he could use a good meal. She wondered if someone at the Velvet Goose would be willing to give him a meal, but she also wasn't sure he'd survive a minute in there - at least in his current state. He had potential, but he needed time to bring it out to the light, time and the guiding hand of the great Lady Merryweather. "I mean, if it was food you wanted, why didn't you just say so? You did help me out, so it's only fair I treat you to a few apples or something. Gotta look after my crewmembers after all, especially if you're going to be working on my airship...well, once I can afford it." June took up the cart and started pulling it along the road. "You coming? Food's my treat, unless you'd rather just skulk about in the alleys for the next however long?"

Despite her outward confidence - which was admittedly bolstered by knowledge of how to get out of these alleys now - June was still rather nervous, shooting off the odd skittish look around a corner when she didn't think the man behind her was looking. He seemed like once he got a good bit of food he'd be a decent guy, but until then he could be a problem. June could take him in a fight, but she didn't want to be any later on delivering this shipment then she already was at this rate. Her employer would be upset, and that wouldn't do...June reached up, scratching her neck as she worried of the consequences of failure.
Word count: 496
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Kent couldn't stop his mouth coming open again in general shock as June went on. 'Like she doesn't even live in the same world,' he thought as his mind wrapped itself around her answer. Then she jumped to talking about an airship just as he was catching up. "Hold- hold on- you gotta-" he answered, moving towards the edge of the alley and attempting to whistle; he managed a spot sputtering raspberry instead.

"Damn- ah sorry- uh- need ta'- got to signal- Boss," he stumbled through the explanation and apology, aggressively wetting his lips and wincing at the sting of cold and cracks in the dry skin. He tried again and managed a weak but consistent tune that bounced oddly about and sounded vaguely of a child imitating a birdsong drunkenly. Looking back to June, he nodded and began a tired trudging march forward through a refuse strewn alleyway. Every time he finished his mangled song, Kent would go silent and tilt his head, clearly straining to listen. This kept on, song and silence, until several far more concise birdsongs appeared to answer from the rooftops. Kent nodded at this and his pace increased, though it still barely rivaled a sleeping horse.

"So- you uh- you got food. Got a place to sleep? Cold's getting worse, can't say I will be much good for a gang frozen in the mists," he offered over his shoulder, the attempt at casualness immediately ruined by his furtive glances to June and her cargo.
Word count: 251
Spirits of Adventure
Character
Unlimited Adventurers
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

June was about to ask what on earth her subordinate was doing jumping ahead of her. And was he just spitting now? June was starting to second guess whether or not she'd made the right choice hiring on this strange young man, when he suddenly apologised, and a second later started whistling. 'A bird...?' Perhaps, if the bird had been stealing alcohol from the Velvet Goose. But the young man seemed to get a vestige of comfort from his song, and June presumed that a little comfort for the man who looked like a beanpole was nice enough.

At least, until she started to hear the song coming from somewhere else. The roofs around them suddenly echoed with the same song and June stopped, nervously looking around, feeling like a rabbit caught in a trap. If he'd just called a bunch of people to help him out, then she was done for. What would all these alley thugs do to a poor, defenceless woman like June Merryweather?! (never mind the brass knuckles in her pockets) June kept glancing around, expecting to get jumped by some burly goon. And the voice in her mind screamed at her that, under no circumstances, was she to let go of her delivery. Not her, not this young man, not the goons in this alleyway. Nothing.

But the song kept going, and nothing kept happening. The young man was now the one walking through the alleyway with a confidence in his step, and a whistle in his tune. 'How is he just going through this place and just whistling?!' June was furious - she was supposed to be the boss, but here this guy was, showing her up already! When she finally ended up commanding that airship, they were going to have to have words. He'd have to do, like, a hundred push-ups for daring to show up his boss. She smiled at the thought. 'Yes, that's an appropriate punishment. Hmhm.' June thought to herself, the thought bringing a warm and slightly evil glow to her face.

"A place to sleep?" June slowed a little, thinking. Honestly, she hadn't thought that far ahead. The only place she had that was her own, was her own apartment - and the man had potential but not that much potential. Not yet at least. But she didn't exactly know of any homeless shelters in the area, she'd missed that part when Elvera kept talking about things. Elvera talked about a lot of things. "Well, I don't have one, no. But the people who I'm delivering this to might, and that's a better chance than you had five minutes ago!" she said, her smile spreading back across her face. He should be grateful for at least that, right?

"Speaking of which..." June clapped her free arm around the young man's shoulders, with the sunniest smile on her face. "I see you've been taking a bit of a look at my delivery, hmmmm?" Her voice was almost silken sweet, but anyone with half a brain could have heard the sinister undertone. "I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I do admit it's a pretty fancy delivery. I know the lady who I'm delivering this to is very much looking forward to getting it." Her hand gripped his shoulder tight. Very tight. "Now, I know you've been in a tough spot. I know you might be thinking surely this very important lady wouldn't miss just one little thing from this crate, right? But I've met her, and I'm terribly afraid she would miss it. I know you're not the kind of person who would steal from a poor, sweet little lady like me. But some people, well." Her smile was still as bright as a rainbow, but her voice was as sharp as a knife. "If such a person were to take something that didn't belong to them from my delivery, this very important lady would be very disappointed in both of us. And that would make me very disappointed in that kind of person. And I wonder, would such a person really want two very important and powerful women to be that disappointed in them?"

A beam of light suddenly broke through the darkness of the alleyway - June looked up and clapped with delight. "Is that the main road again? Brilliant! I was worried I'd never get out of these alleyways. Let's get going, some food awaits! Mmmm, food." June trilled a happy tune as she continued pulling the cart down the alleyway, the hustle and bustle of the West District welcoming her yet again.
Word count: 770
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

He was very glad he'd thought to actually pay attention when he'd been given the song code. It wasn't exactly the newest one, not by a few weeks at least, but it sounded like it didn't matter. The Deadwater Drowners respected contracts, and Kent had been a good enough lookout to earn at least a sliver of respect. At least enough that audibly declaring he wanted no trouble could get them through the short trip.

He'd been nervous still, constantly looking around in the hope that if someone tried to get the drop on them he could at least get away. After all, he wouldn't be able to even look intimidating in his current state. As for his new boss, she'd not exactly been the most comforting thus far. 'Spends bunch of time explaining how she's got things under control for someone who clearly don't have more than a big picture,' he mused silently as she rambled in an attempt to goad him.

Her attention snapped to the alley's end as soon as she spotted it and Kent struggled to increase his pace and stay a step ahead. "You're spending a lot of time and extra words telling me how you're going to gut me if I try and steal something I don't even care about, Boss. Sounds like you don't have a lot of trust for your gangmates," he offered as he turned to look at her, making a show of rubbing his bruising shoulder.

He stopped just short of exiting into the street, planting himself to force her to run him over or come up short. There were quite a lot of places they could be heading nearby, and if she was about to toss him aside he needed to at least make an attempt. "Before we go on, I want something solid from you. You talk too much about what you're going to get me, but I can't hear you over my stomach," he said, holding a hand up in an effort to forestall an immediate response.

"So, you're gonna feed me, help me find a place to sleep, and stop threatening to stab me all the time. Do that, and I'm your man. Get me a bath, and I might even look respectable enough. Idols, you keep feeding me and maybe I'll stop asking so many questions," he finished, extending the hand in offer instead. "So, where are we heading anyway, Boss?"
Word count: 407
Spirits of Adventure
Character
Unlimited Adventurers
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

June was trilling a happy song, eager to finally get out of these alleyways, safe and sound - but before she could get out, Kent just stopped in front of her. 'What is he...' June suddenly swore she felt eyes on the back of her - had this rogue decided to just betray her after all? June slipped a hand into her pockets, the fingers curling through the gaps of the brass knuckles. If she was going to be caught here, there'd be hell to pay before she'd let a single person do anything to her or her cargo or...

But there was nobody else coming. Kent just looked at her. He didn't seem angry, just exasperated. June was momentarily in shock from the event, at least enough that Kent finally got some words in, calling her out for her behaviour. Emotions flared within June. Who was this guy, from the middle of nowhere, who dared to lecture her? "You...you..." Something in his eyes made her pause. The way he outstretched his hand, the way his eyes looked at her. Just for a moment, it reminded her of...

---

"You're acting like a real bully, y'know." A little boy put his hands on his hips, a frown on his face as he talked to an angry little girl, in a little country town where nothing exciting ever happened.

The little girl stamped her feet. "I'm not a bully!" The girl huffed. "But nobody wants to do anything around here! It's boring! I wanna go have an adventure, but it's no fun if I'm by myself!"

The little boy sighed. She was always like this, even from when they'd first met. "Nobody's gonna listen to you if you just act all bossy all the time. That's why nobody will go with you."

"But I have to be! Nobody will listen to me otherwise!!" the little girl's voice went shrill.

"That's because you never listen!" The little boy yelled back. "You always get like this! You make up all this stuff to do and then you try to make everyone do what you want and you never just ask anyone!" His face was starting to go red. "Then you start acting like a big jerk! How do you think you're going to get any more friends like this?! You have to--"

The little boy suddenly stopped. The little girl was shaking like a leaf, her hands balled up in fists. "I'm not a bully..." Her voice shook. "I'm not a bully I'm not a bully I'M NOT A BULLY!!" she screamed as loud as she could, before she collapsed to her knees and burst into tears. "It's not faaaaa-aaaair!" she wailed as the young boy stood there, his own anger wiped out in the face of confusion. "Everyone's s-s-stupid and m-m-mean and they all c-c-call me a b-big b-baby and nobody..." The tears finished up quickly as she just hugged her knees, rocking back and forth and weeping.

"Junie...?" The young boy asked, confused and scared. He'd never seen June cry like this before.

The little girl just looked up at him, eyes welling up with tears. "I just wanted to go on an adventure..." she sniffled, wiping her eyes with her shirt sleeve. "I just wanted to go with friends...but everybody thinks I'm s-s-stupid..."

The young boy stood there, before he walked up to her slowly, holding out his hand. "I don't think you're stupid. Really."

The little girl looked up at him. "T-Tem...? You promise?"

The little boy smiled. "I promise. You just go too fast. Maybe if you just slowed down a bit the other kids would play with you. I can come with you and help you, if you promise to listen?"

---

The energy seemed to have, in an instant, suddenly deflate from June as her shoulders just slumped. "You're right." June just stopped, looking down at the floor, desperately trying to hold back a sniffle. "I'm s-sorry." her voice was starting to shake again. Why now? Why had this guy in the middle of nowhere brought back embarrassing and painful memories? "I was just e-excited. I wanted to be part of a gang or just...something." she stopped, turning her face away. "I know what people think, that I'm crazy or stupid, or a gossip, or an idiot, or worse. I just have to do everything with all of my might. Otherwise nobody will ever me seriously." June looked up at the man, but with a sad smile - one that didn't seem to fit her face. "You know, you're the first person that ever took me seriously about this since I came to Fellsgard? Maybe you're just pretending, but it made me happy. I just thought, maybe--no, forget it. It's stupid."

June's exuberance may have evaporated, but she still pulled herself up, trying to regain some sense of a commanding presence. "Alright. You--you helped me, and you didn't have to. Whatever else anyone says about June Merryweather, I keep my word. I can't promise you a place to sleep, but I will get you some food. That I promise you." When the young man asked about her cargo, June looked back at it for a moment before turning back to the young man in front of her. "I'm taking this to a place called the Velvet Goose. If you help me deliver it, I'll split the payment with you. And then I--I won't bother you ever again, if that's what you want."
Word count: 920
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Kent felt a spike of cold fear cut into his gut when all the fire went out of his new 'Boss'. He'd seen this happen before, when folks promised things they couldn't actually deliver. He watched her carefully, measuring if it was worth it to stick around and get nothing. 'Start scrounging now, maybe can finagle a place near a fire if I work hard,' he thought as June remained silent for several long seconds.

Then she apologized, like she owed him something, and the sudden reversal of attitude left Kent reeling. He tried his best to really listen to her, past the ringing of his ears, the pain of the cold and gnawing hunger in his stomach. He felt like he owed her that much at least, for treating him like a person instead of a problem, even if she was clearly way over her head.

'Seems the offer of food was real at least, worth it for that at the worst,' he thought as she affirmed her deal. He firmed his resolve and decided he would see this through at least. He raised his hand to let her know she didn't really need to tell him when he froze- 'called the Velvet Goose' resounded in his thoughts and he blanched with fear.

"Oh-" he said weakly and shook his head. "Not so sure I should come along. Don't remember if I owe them money or- I mean- you're the boss but-" he scrubbed at his face, the bitter cold making his fingers painfully weak. The memory of a place with warm fires and warmer drink made all the pain and ache in his body return with sudden fury. 'Dying out here, and even one good meal could be another week,' the part of his mind that did what had to be done pointed out.

"Fuck it. We better get going yeah, Boss" he stated, turning on his heel to try and hide the pure white of his features. He weakly brushed off his ragged and stained clothes to still his nerves and started ambling forward. "Should be another street and a bit, I can't exactly run but we can speed up a bit. Maybe this'll be enough and I'm good- we can talk about the rest over food." He could already see the heavy doors and dirty windows in his mind. The crackling pit fires and long tables lined with food made his soul ache and he tried not to force his body to move too quickly.
Word count: 422