Under Wraps [COMPLETED]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Under Wraps [COMPLETED]

Post by Ksenia »

Approaching Lena’s table with her empty bowl, Ksenia smiled at the woman who cooked for East Hall. “How are things going, Lena? I know we’ve got more eating here with the sailors and the new boy Artemis picked up - are we still okay for bowls and money, or do I need to talk to him?”

Lena tipped her head to the side thoughtfully. “Oh, no, Craftmistress, Boss and I already talked about the money, so I’m good there. Wouldn’t hurt to have more bowls and things, though. Something will probably get broken at some point and with all the young ones about I’m a bit stretched as it is.”

The cook looked over the pile of dishes, frowning slightly. “We’d want at least a dozen, and get someone to carry them for you. Maybe Kit - ah, speak and they appear,” Lena said, waving at an approaching figure.

As Kit neared the table, she began introductions. “Craftmistress, I think you’ve seen Kit Heron around? Kit, this is the Craftsmistress of East Hall, Journeyman Ksenia.”

Ksenia gave the boy - no, really, he was older and probably closer to her own age - a small smile. “Nice to make your acquaintance, formally,” she said. “I hope you don’t mind running some errands with me?”
Last edited by Ksenia on April 26th, 2020, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 222
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Re: Under Wraps

Post by Kit Heron »

"Thank you for the lovely meal, Miss Lena." He said, as he always did after every meal. The young mage turned to give Ksenia a smile and nodded his head politely. "It is good to meet you, Craftmistress." He said.

He had seen Ksenia around, but had never been in a position to actually speak to her. She appeared to command respect around the place, but he had never heard her raise her voice or anything like that. It certainly made him feel at ease. Kent had only said good things about her when Kit had once asked who she was.

"And of course I don't mind." He said, happily. "I prefer to make myself as useful as possible, to earn my keep and to repay the kindness shown to me." He handed his bowl over with another 'thank you' (he seemed to say that a lot). "Whatever you need me to do, I will be more than happy to attend to, Craftmistress."
Word count: 163
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“Nothing exciting, I’m afraid. I’m planning to run by a second-hand store for fabric and then hopefully she’ll be able to point us toward a place for bowls,” Ksenia explained. She gave Lena a smile. “Thanks again for providing us with help and tasty food, Lena, and let me or Artemis know if there’s anything else you need.”

Turning to Kit, she motioned with her head. “Let’s get going.” As they walked down the street, she felt a bit nervous - but Artemis trusted him enough to give him a bunk, so she would give Kit the benefit of the doubt.

“We’re going to a shop called ‘The Discerning Maiden’ and hoping that Miss Turley isn’t too disappointed that we don’t have Artemis with us. I need to get some fabric for the crew and the neighbors who want me to sew them clothes - and if you want more clothes for yourself, you’re more than welcome to look around. I can take things in if they’re a bit roomy.” Ksenia started chattering a bit, partly from unease and partly to familiarize Kit with their errand.

She glanced around the street, scanning for potential issues. “So, um, what brought you to East Hall? I think Artemis said something about Dáire finding you in a tavern?” ‘Which was not that different from how Artemis found me,’ she thought wryly, although she wondered what about Kit had struck Dáire’s fancy.
Word count: 251
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

With a friendly 'goodbye' to Miss Lena, Kit nodded to Ksenia as they made their way out into the streets.

Kit still found the city a little awe-inspiring. He's only been here for a few days after spending the majority of his life not seeing more than a handful of people in one place at any one time. Most of his teen years it had been him alone, while his master was upstairs. Even the little village he had to occasionally frequent for supplies was small, and he was instructed 'not to chatter' when away. As they walked, he found himself trying to weave in and out of the busy oncoming people, saying "Sorry" and "Excuse me, thank you!" quite often.

"You must be terribly busy, Craftmistress, if you are helping so many people." He said. And thought at her question. He had only one set of clothes; the ones he had arrived in. It would be nice to have more. "I'm afraid I have not yet earned enough - well, any actually," he smiled, awkwardly. "But once I do, I may ask you where best to purchase something I could afford ... if that's okay with you, of course, Craftmistress."

Ksenia didn't seem like the others. She was quiet and less as intimidating as one or two of the people in the Hall, and very different from Mister Black! She seemed reserved. It certainly helped Kit's nerves. Meeting new people usually made his sweat, and usually knock something over or simply say something very stupid. Maybe once he got more confident in being what he was, he would be more confident as a person in general.

He was gawking at a tall building when Ksenia asked about him being in the tavern. "Ah, yes. Mister Dáire was kind enough to offer me a place to stay when I came to the city. I never really intended to end up in a tavern, but I was lost and there was this show, which was amazing! I had never seen anything before that came near to it! All the colours and puppets. And the lady who ran it was quite something! She's going to te..." He quickly realised he was babbling. Flushing red, he cleared his throat. "Apologies, Craftmistress."

He hoped he hadn't come across as fool. "Have you worked at the Hall for long?" Kit asked.
Word count: 396
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Kit’s rambling showed Ksenia he was just as nervous as she usually was around new people. The inadvertent admission made her feel a bit better. “Well, they’re paying me to make clothes, so at least I can start my personal business sooner. Miss Turley is generally pretty inexpensive so I might be able to add in a shirt or some pants.” She slid a small smile his way.

“Artemis is the mastermind behind the hall, and I helped him found it. In a way.” She forced back a snicker at their - less-than-legal methods of funding and claiming the hall. “So from the beginning, I suppose.”

Spotting the weathered sign ahead, she nodded. “That’s us ahead. It’s the sign with what is supposedly a cow,” she said shrugging. “I’m going to head to the back first since that’s where she keeps the fabric cuts usually. Feel free to browse and I’ll let you know when it’s time to leave.”

Pushing open the door, she called out, “Hello Miss Turley!” Ksenia held the door open for Kit behind her. “Let me know if you see anything useful while you’re looking. I could use another mattress cover since Artemis and Dáire have basically taken mine,” she said with a mildly perturbed look. “I should probably stock up on bandages too, so if you find anything, start a pile on the counter.” She turned to head to the shelves in the back.
Word count: 249
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit gave her a smile. "You're own business? That's wonderful. I look forward to being a loyal customer one day, Craftmistress!" The fact that she hadn't remark on his babbling made him feel much more at ease. The others in the hall - all in good fun - would tease him. At first he had thought them making a joke at his expense, but he had soon learned that was the way of it. Everyone teased everyone relentlessly and brought much laughter with it. He hadn't quite gotten the hang of it, so just laughed along and blushed quite often (which tended to bring more laughter).

"So you and Mister Black were friends before the Hall was established?" he asked, offhandedly. "He seems like a very remarkable man, as does Dáire." He had been told enough times to drop the 'mister' when talking to the Elf that he had gotten used to it, though it still felt a little strange and too familiar. Using titles and such came more naturally to him. They were, after all, his superiors. "They seem very happy together." He mentally kicked himself for that. It was hardly his place to remark on the relationships of his betters!

They reached the shop and Ksenia gave her instructions, to which Kit replied with a "Yes, Craftmistress." And they stepped in.

As Ksenia made her way towards the back, Kit looked at the shop's contents as if he were looking at a dragon's hoard of gold. There was so much clothing here! And the colours and styles ... he ran his fingers over soft woollen jumpers, and smiled at some blouses with lace edges. It seemed very fancy to him!

He managed to find some bandages in a basket, which he collected. He had no idea how many the Craftmistress wanted so he made sure to get plenty so that he could just put back what was not needed. He placed them on the counter, then went back. It took him a while to find a mattress cover, as he didn't know how big her bed was. Taking a single and a double, he put those with the bandages. Going back into this clothing treasure trove, Kit spotted a blue cotton undershirt and some good trousers. They weren't fancy, nor made of anything expensive (he was hardly going to go after anything that costs much, since he wasn't paying!), which he held against him. Being so slender, the shirt was a little baggy, and he couldn't find anything that fit him in a cheap enough fabric, so he took those forth. He felt awkward just placing these items he wanted with the rest. It felt ... presumptuous!

Kit's eyes looked about the place as he waited. When Ksenia appeared, he motioned to his findings. "I wasn't completely sure on a couple of things, so I got extra. I will, of course, put anything back that you do not require, Craftmistress." He looked up to Miss Turley and nodded his head (almost in small bow). "Good morning, Miss. You have a wonderful shop."
Word count: 513
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia rifled through the pile Kit had made on the counter. Plenty of bandages and two mattress covers, she noted. She’d need to check again for the fleece stuffing. The undershirt and trousers placed off to the side a little she suspected were ones Kit wanted.

Miss Turley cackled. “No Mister Black today, but you’ve brought this young pup? Is Mister Black not enough for you?”

“I’m afraid he’s busy, but Kit here-” she indicated the slender young man “Showed up needing a place to stay, and you know Mister Black.” She sighed theatrically, about to make another light jab at Artemis’ expense - which would be repaid later - as a child came up to Miss Turley’s counter.

“Miss Turley, I need help,” the girl said, holding out a wad of cloth. Ksenia looked over, curiously. “This don’t make sense to me, with the loop and all.” The old proprietress squinted as she took the fabric from the child.

“Don’t pull your thread so tight, Bethy. You need to keep the loop open. Ask Ann to show you hers. She does a nice daisy stitch.” Miss Turley handed the cloth back to the youngster, who nodded and took off for the far reaches of the shop.

“Embroidery lessons?” Ksenia asked interestedly.

Miss Turley glanced to the side. “I have some young ones in the back learning their stitches. They didn’t have anything or any skills, so I’ve been teaching them, having them help me with the shop in exchange for room, board, and a bit of pocket money every now and again.”

Clearing her throat slightly, Miss Turley handled the pile of items, calculating in her head. “Shame Mister Black is so busy, but at least you’ve brought the young man here. Polite, too - wonder if he’s always so formal,” she said with a touch of a leer.

Ksenia moved slightly in front of Kit, who she suspected was about to try melting into the floor. “I wouldn’t know, I’m afraid. Oh, would you know of a place that sells second-hand bowls and cutlery? Nothing fancy,” she added.

Placing the mattress cover last on the resorted pile, Miss Turley paused, frowning slightly. “Try the store with the blue shutters on Wimble Road. Never know what you’ll find there.” She gestured to the items on the counter. “Let’s say a half-silver and three copper. Destroy those mattresses already, did he?” She laughed, sounding a little like a croaking raven.

Forcing away the frown - ravens were not her favorite - Ksenia sighed. “If only - but he’s stolen mine away. I’d much appreciate it if you could set aside any bags of fleece you come across and I’ll send someone for them.” She handed the coins over to Miss Turley.

“Let’s roll these in the cover and that should make it easier to carry,” Ksenia said. She helped Kit organize the bundle and almost lifted it herself before setting it back down. “I’ll need you to carry these, sorry.” Glaring at her hands for a moment, she wiped them on her skirt. “Thank you, Miss Turley, and I promise I’ll tell Mister Black you missed him.”
Word count: 548
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit took the bundle happily; he would have insisted ... as much as he ever could ... to take them anyway! Manners would have dictated that at the very least.

He cocked his head as the elderly Miss Turley looked at him, up and down as if he were a horse for sale or something. It was a confusing look, but he nodded his head. "A very good day to you, Miss." He said, getting a better grip on the bundle and following Ksenia out of the shop.

Once again they were in the busy street, and now Kit had a bundle to carry. More apologies and 'thank you's were spilled forth as they went forth, but at least he was holding something that couldn't be broken if he collided with someone! He began to think of the crockery they were going for next!

"Miss Turley seems nice." He said, and then: "She was giving me the most curious look though. I thought I must have had something on my face, or whatnot. Do I look curious to her, perhaps?" He almost worried about that question.

"Where to next, Craftmistress?" He asked, jovially. He seemed to be finding going about the city with Ksenia to be enjoyable, and was happy to feel like he was helping out. Contributing something! One day, he hoped to do so much more.
Word count: 226
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia coughed, trying to hide a laugh at Kit’s innocent-sounding question regarding Miss Turley. “She likes good-looking men, which is why all the comments about ‘Mister Black’. If Artemis had been with us, we probably would have paid less,” she managed to get out. “Sorry if she made you feel like a roast being sized up at market.”

Looking around for the street signs, she frowned. “I think Wimble Road is more to the west.” She turned left at the next road and began scanning the buildings for landmarks.

“I’m not familiar with the shop Miss Turley mentioned, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find.” She sighed, biting her lip a little. “There’s more than a few bars on that road. At least it’s early enough that the street should still be quiet.”

Flicking her gaze about, she kept watch for signs and any indicators. “So I don’t think you’re a laborer or a sailor. You’ve said you don’t have money, so probably not a clerk or a student at the university. What were you doing before Dáire found you in the tavern?” She glanced at him curiously. “You don’t have to tell me, if you don’t want, but it’d be nice to know what you can do besides errands.”
Word count: 224
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit gave her a surprised glance when she referred to him as 'handsome'. He certainly did not think of himself in that way. Not that he was oblivious to beauty; he had seen more than his fair share of people he found attractive since he had arrived at the city, but to think of himself as such? "I'm glad you didn't tell me before, Craftmistress!" He said, with a small laugh. "I might very well have fled the shop!"

Kit followed dutifully along. He had no idea where they were or where they ought to be, and if she'd have asked him to lead the way back to the Hall, he'd have no idea where to start!

When she enquired as to his skills, he wondered a little at how to answer. Thinking about the master made him uncomfortable, but at the same time, he was proud at his ability to read and decipher books in various languages, and he had (often with the aid of a clip across the knuckles) learned to write very well. "Well ... I ... ah, I'm not really sure how to put what I used to do in the right way, as such." His instinct to rub his temple was hindered by the bundle of material he was carrying. "I studied for many years, and kept a library for ... a person. I read a lot, and took many notes. I'm well versed in many topics mainly ..." He didn't want to say 'magic', especially after all the warnings he had gotten about using any such phrases alluding to the art or science of it. "Philosophy!" He said at last, a little too rushed to sound completely convincing. "Yes, philosophy, theology, and various other fields. Rather hard to erm ... pin down a particular subject. And, well, I will actually be attending the University of House Nyshasa to be tutored by a professor. A Fae lady, actually. She came by the Hall on the day of my arrival. So, if you require any assistance that my former work might prove useful ... book keeping, perhaps? I am happy to oblige."

Kit glanced up as they walked. "Blue shutters, Craftmistress," he said, trying to motion with the bundle in his arms. "Perhaps this is the place?"
Word count: 375