Under Wraps [COMPLETED]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: Under Wraps

Post by Ksenia »

Perking up at the mention of libraries, reading, and bookkeeping, Ksenia grinned. “I can certainly put you to work with those skills. Keeping track of the hall business, with the applicants for spaces and then expenses - plus my own sewing - looked like it was going to be a nightmare.” She shook her head.

“Artemis is not - much of a book person,” she said thoughtfully. “Much more into planning and the overall idea. Business work is probably much more dull than what you've read, but hopefully we can work out a system to make it as easy and quick as possible.”

She glanced up at the blue shutters on the building next to them that Kit had indicated. The window contained a jumble of things; carved furniture, ornate glassware, and metal trays shared room with plain bowls and rough wooden spoons. “Perhaps so. Let’s go in, and maybe they’ll let you put that down by the counter,” she said, nodding at the bundle he carried.

Pushing open the door, she heard the faint tinkle of a small bell somewhere in the shop. No one greeted them, although Ksenia hadn’t entirely expected it. No doubt the proprietor was somewhere in the back. “Look around after you set that down. We need bowls, spoons that aren’t splintery, and possibly some children’s story books,” she said softly. “Hello?” she called loudly - just in case they were being watched.
Word count: 243
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit nodded as Ksenia spoke. Account books and ledgers sounded awfully dull, but he was eager to pitch in and earn his keep. He gave a polite smile - he was hardly in a position to turn down tasks by the Craftmistress, when offered - and smiled. "Of course, Craftmistress."

When they walked into the shop and Ksenia asked him to look around, he felt completely lost. Aside from knowing that metal was better than wood, he had no idea how to pick out cutlery!

He located some bowls that looked a lot like the ones they had at the Hall, then looked at the books. He had never read any children's books in his life, so simply chose the ones that sounded the most whimsical: 'The Bouncy Bunny', 'The Grumpy Man Who Lived in his Hat', and so on. Getting five books. He had put his bundle on the counter, and put his spoils on the counter.

"I do not recall seeing any children at the Hall, Craftmistress." He motioned to the books. "Who are these for?"
Word count: 178
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia poked around the store, keeping an eye toward the back for the owner. She heard Kit rummaging around, the clink of pottery and shuffling sounds telling her of his progress. She found a pile of old, but still serviceable, cutlery and wooden spoons. Picking out a dozen spoons, she took a few table knives that still appeared to hold an edge. Surely Artemis would know how to sharpen them if need be.

Coming up to the counter, she noticed the pile Kit had started. She looked over the bowls and the small stack of children's books he'd collected. He'd chosen a decent collection of titles, and she wondered if there were more in the store that might have a greater range of ability.

When he asked who the books were for, she froze. Artemis hadn't been shy lately talking about his lack of reading skills, but Ksenia didn't think it was really her information to share. "There's some children in the neighborhood, and Artemis has said he wants the hall to be more of a community place," she said, hoping he'd take that as explanation enough. "Having books to read from that are more appropriate for their skills can only help - and I'd bet there's some adults around who could use help too."

In the time she'd spent wandering the east and southern districts of Fellsgard, she'd learned that many people in the poorest areas were barely able to read. They could scrawl a bit, read simple signs and directions, but anything complex was beyond their capabilities. Any schooling they'd had once had withered from disuse, and she'd seen shopkeepers and officials confuse people who couldn't read and reason to prove them wrong. She'd gotten on the bad side of some shopkeepers and guards that way, though she hadn't stayed in that area long.

"Can you show me where you found these?" Ksenia pointed to the books. "And were there any other books as well?" She added the cutlery in her hands to their pile.
Word count: 337
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit nodded as Ksenia spoke. He thought about the Hall and wondered at the thought of children being there. He, himself was still getting used to the coarse language, the lewd jokes and other such comments made by the sailors and such. But he was also just an errand boy, so would keep such thoughts to himself.

"Of course, Craftmistress." He led her to a small bookcase which boasted a few books, most of them quite worn. "I can't imagine what it must be like not to able to read. Books can capture so much, and to be blind to that knowledge and wisdom, even from the most whimsical of writings, is very precious." He said these words, almost to himself. Another quote, perhaps?

He took one of them and glanced through. "These are all very basic. Story books, mostly. They would be useful for teaching a child, or as you say, even as adult their letters." He put the book back and pulled out another. With the books in his hand, he seemed more relaxed, less nervous, less tense. Even though he had not read this particular one, he felt comfortable with it in his hands. "This one is unusual ... some Elvish. A bit poorly written. I doubt it would be much use as a story book as it seems to be trying to explain the concept of 'self', though it does so rather poorly. It seems to suggest we are akin to flowers as created by ..." He stopped and looked up, his face turning red as he realised he was on the very edge of launching into an explanation about the gods, creation, what he thought about it, and a hundred other things that just a few lines of this tattered book seemed to evoke.

"Apologies, Craftmistress." He said. "I must have sounded a little odd. I, erm ... I think any of these - except this one - would do for the Hall." Kit stepped back a little. "I hope they find their way to any who need to be taught. Reading is fundamental, and I ..." Kit scratched his temple. "Apologies." He then kept his mouth firmly shut.
Word count: 360
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Flipping through the shelves, Ksenia pulled a few more out to add to the pile. She looked for simple ones, trying to look for any she thought might interest Artemis enough to keep him engaged. Teaching him to read would depend entirely on pulling his attention from other things.

Kit described a particular book, sounding a touch pretentious discussing the material. She bit back a smile as he appeared to realize how he sounded. “So, Elvish philosophy? I hadn’t really thought about how they might see things differently.” She set the book on the pile in her arms.

“I had hoped they might have a few higher level books as well, even if they were only fairy tales,” she said over her shoulder as she searched around the shelf of children’s books. “Well, I can look at the west district markets later,” she mused, half to herself.

Walking back to the counter to add the books to their pile, she considered Kit’s passionate response regarding literacy. “Have you taught others to read before? Maybe a younger brother or sister?” If he had the experience, she might be able to get his help - if Artemis allowed. “You seem very, ah, enthusiastic about reading.”

She looked around the store again. Still no sign of an owner, despite the fact that they hadn’t been very quiet. Laying the books down, she called again, loudly, “Hello? I want to buy these.” She sighed and hoped someone would be by soon; she didn’t want to leave without the items they needed.
Last edited by Ksenia on March 22nd, 2020, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 262
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit thought about her question and how to answer it without going too far into his past, and ideally - avoiding it completely. "I've never taught anyone how to read. I was taught in a rather ..." He wondered how to put it. With a switch across his back when he got a word wrong? "I was mainly self-taught, but did have some direction. I found that if the subject matter interested me enough, I would be more inclined to want to know how to read. Otherwise it felt like a chore. I imagine the same could be said about anyone who is learning. If you want children to learn to read at the Hall, then it's best to find something entertaining, as you say. For adults, I imagine it would be frustrating to read books about pixies and snarks!" He even smiled.

He followed her to the counter. "The Elven literature I have read is very variable, Craftmistress. Much of it alludes to their superiority over other races, especially Humans. But one has to take into account that academics can be quite arrogant. Elves just seem to be prone to it."

A man came from through a door, grumbling. "Yes?" He said, as if he were annoyed at having customers in his shop.

Kit raised a brow at the man's demeanour. Surely he ought to be happy he had customers! The shop was hardly busy - Ksenia and Kit were the only ones in it.

The shopkeeper glanced down at the books, then up at the young Craftmistress. "You found our special book, did you?" He grunted. "Knife-ear bullshit, if you ask me. But it's yours if you want it. Better out of my shop than in it. But it won't be cheap. What else you got there? Alright ... let's see." He sucked his gums as he thought for a moment.

Kit's brows now creased, feeling a little irritated at the man and how he was speaking. But it was not his place to say anything, and he was quite sure the Craftmistress would be at all pleased if the young mage got self-righteous about the man's blatant bigotry towards Elven-kind. However, he could not help but ...

His eyes were no longer focused on the man, but instead he was looking at the glow of the threads that surrounded him, connecting each object and person and thing to each other. He was surprised to see the lines coming from Ksenia to be not only the regular blue of a Human, but tinted with green, like an Elf. He wondered at this for a moment, seeing her thread tremble slightly. Was she angry? Scared? Nervous? He couldn't tell. He turned his attention to the man.

"Three silver and two copper." He said, looking quite pleased with himself after giving such a ridiculous figure. "Book might be written by filthy hands, but it's very rare. Came from Ajteire, don't you know? You could sell it on for three times that. You're in lucky that I am feeling good to treat a good looking lass such as yourself."

"He's lying!" Kit blurted out, and the world snapped into focus.

The man looked up at him sharply "What did you bloody say, lad?"

The Mind Mage's heart near skipped in his chest, and he swallowed in a wave of fear. "I just mean ... the book, it's not ..." What could he say? He knew the man was lying through using empathy magic? That way led to a very dark road that might see him locked up, or worse. He stood a little straighter, and tried to put some conviction in his voice. "It's just .... Craftmistress, that book was written here ... in Fel'sguard. I recognise the author's name, is all."

Would she believe him? Why had he not just kept his mouth closed?
Word count: 637
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Gritting her teeth, Ksenia felt the flush of anger heat her cheeks and her stupid ears. ‘Knife-ear bullshit,’ the man’s words sang in her head, chorused by other voices saying similar words in the past. Now, though, she didn’t have to depend on people like him for a roof or a crust of bread. She felt Kit go still beside her, almost as though he were focusing very intently.

The shopkeeper blathered about resale value and rarity, though the only part Ksenia actually caught was when he said “filthy hands” in reference to the authors. Her blood pounded in her ears and she buried her hands in her skirts to hide how they wanted to clench into fists.

Kit spoke up suddenly. “He’s lying!” His voice pulled her into back into herself, away from the building anger in her chest. The boy stammered about knowing the author was Fellsgardian, and the book not as rare as the shopkeeper claimed. Something didn’t quite add up - but here and now wasn’t the place to discuss it.

She put on her best imperious Mam imitation, raising her chin slightly. “I’ll give you a silver and a half for everything here, including the book. It would be a shame if you were forced to keep something in your store that clearly occasions such disgust.” Ksenia pressed the coins to the counter and slid them toward the shopkeeper. “I trust this should cover it.”

Without waiting for much of a response, she swept the books and cutlery into her arms and caught Kit’s eye, nodding toward the bowls. “Good day,” she said, not turning to look back. She kicked open the door at the bottom with her toe, holding it open for Kit to follow through. They couldn’t get away from the shop fast enough, in her opinion.
Word count: 312
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit's eyes widened as the woman in front of him, who had seemed so quiet and calm (especially compared to everyone he had met thus far), told the shopkeeper what to do with his outrageous price and marched from the shop.

Quickly grabbing the bowls and the bundle, he shook his head at the shopkeep, who stood dumb and open-mouthed, and then turned and hurried after Ksenia.

As he stepped down and out of the shop, he jogged a little, catching up with the obviously furious Craftmistress. "I apologise if I ... inflamed the situation, back there." He said, hesitantly. "I just ... I had a ... feeling, he was lying to you." Even then, he had not expected her to be so angry.

Perhaps his was his bigotry. There were Elves in the Hall, so perhaps she had been annoyed at that. But Kit had heard other Humans talk in such a way, and he wondered why she was so furious as to be moved to snap like that. It did not seem in keeping with her character. But then he remembered: the emerald shimmer on the blue light of her threads. Perhaps she was particularly close to an Elf? Had one as a lover, perhaps? Maybe that's why she was so mad. "I hope I haven't caused you any trouble, Craftmistress." He added, lamely.

Kit also hoped that his little 'magic trick' had been well enough contained (he had been practising) that he would not be discovered. Time would tell, and he almost shivered at the thought.
Word count: 256
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia marched down the street, back rigid and cheeks flushed. She heard Kit trying to catch up to her. Remembering that he had the bulk of their purchases to carry, she slowed down. Maybe there’d be a spot where they could adjust everything.

Kit drew near her and offered an apology, adding, “I hope I haven’t caused you any trouble, Craftmistress.” She huffed slightly, shaking her head.

“No. You haven’t caused any trouble,” she said, trying to smile at him, but managing what probably looked more like a grimace. “That - that shopkeeper- she spat the word out as if it tasted disgusting. “Caused any trouble by opening his mouth.” Reflexively, she patted her hair over her ears, making sure they stayed hidden.

She shook her head sharply. Being angry right now wasn’t going to get them back to the hall any quicker or more organized. “I hate when people say sh-stuff like that,” she muttered, offering some explanation. “Let’s reorganize ourselves and get back to the hall.”

Studying the bundle of fabric Kit carried, she considered their options. “I think I can take a few things from the bundle and use them to carry the bowls and spoons. Artemis will get all huffy if I lug a bundle of fabric in,” she grumbled. She understood why, and she didn’t want to hurt her hands again, but relying on other people still felt unnecessary.

“I can probably rig up some straps so you can carry the fabric on your back and then just have the books and things in your hands. How’s that sound?” She looked up at him, waiting to start adjusting their load.
Word count: 282
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit nodded as the Craftmistress spoke; the shopkeep's racist remarks were indeed enough to make a person mad, and they had definitely had hit some sore point with Ksenia. "The ignorant often lash out at that which is different, through a mix of stupidity and fear." He said, almost intoning the words that left his mouth.

When she stopped and suggested she could make straps, he felt his lungs freeze. The bundle would lay against his back, and the last wound inflicted upon him had re-opened and was currently under a dressing that most definitely needed changing. He had his appointment with the doctor tomorrow. He thought of his options, but could not think of a lie well enough or convincing enough to not cast suspicion or bring questions. Besides, the dressing would act as a barrier, so he might be fine. Surely?

"That sounds ... ah, very practical, Craftmistress." He said, giving a smile that did not reach his eyes. He moved out of the way of the passing folk on the road to the side where they might reorganise. His teeth were clenched, and his hand itched to rub his temple in nervous anticipation. "I have no skill with knots and such. I'm afraid I will have to stand and let you saddle me up!" His attempt at levity was weak, but he thought he had pulled it off rather well. "I'm ready when you are, Craftmistress" He lied.
Word count: 240