Under Wraps [COMPLETED]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: Under Wraps

Post by Ksenia »

Studying Kit, Ksenia noticed his jaw tighten and his shoulders stiffen. Something about the idea wasn’t okay with him. “Or - I guess we could try something else,” she said, thinking. Unlike other people she had learned to study closely, she wasn’t concerned about making Kit mad - but she didn’t want to make him uncomfortable without a good reason.

“Maybe it’d be easier to split it between your hands? At least you wouldn’t have to have your arms outstretched the whole way,” she suggested. She came closer to take the bowls and the bundle from him.

Keeping her voice quiet, she asked, “What’s wrong? You don’t have to tell me, but I’m guessing you’ve hurt your back-” She stopped, watching his expression. “Or someone did.” She swallowed hard, remembering some of the times she’d seen servants slapped and beaten by Mam’s paramours. They’d tried to carry on the next day, offering jokes while gritting their teeth against the pain. Ksenia knew she’d escaped the worst of it by being Mam’s ‘pet’, though that hadn’t prevented every punishment.

She set the bowls down on the street, balancing the books on top to keep them from the dirt. Carefully not looking at Kit, she tried to give him space while she decided how to divide their purchases. If he didn’t say anything, she wouldn’t push.
Word count: 241
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit looked at her for a few seconds, as her questions threw him off balance a moment and for a split second, his world was once again a spiderweb of magic. In that moment, he felt the warmth, the care and pain sail along the thread that connected the two. He blinked, and it was over almost before it had begun.

What had he sensed? It wasn't like he could ask her. But whatever it was, it felt ... familiar. How so? Why did he suddenly feel a connection, of sorts, to this woman he had only started an actual conversation with just an hour or so before.

He cleared his throat. "It's nothing." He said, then realised that that answer was too ambiguous. "What I mean, Craftmistress, if there is nothing to worry about." He took a small breath and smiled. "I'm here to help. I'll kneel down and you can put it over my back. I should easily be able to take the weight, and it will leave my hands free."

The only way to avoid suspicion was to forge ahead. He could do it. He had to.
Word count: 189
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia thought to herself that Kit’s smile was entirely forced. He didn’t want to admit to anything being wrong. That was, at least, a feeling she understood. ‘Was it fear of showing weakness or pride?’ she wondered.

“Go ahead and set everything down for a minute. We’ll need to divvy this up to carry it better anyway,” she said. “The mattress cover should probably be washed anyway.” She considered that Kit’s new shirt would make a decent bag if he didn’t mind her tying the bottom closed. They could put some of the bowls in there with some more fabric - or maybe his pants - for cushioning.

She watched him carefully as he moved, looking for signs of stiffness and pain. Mam had always expected her to know - and anticipate - anything the woman needed before she actually needed it. Living among the servants and then the poorer people had given her first-hand knowledge of what a person looked like when exhausted, when injured, and when mistreated.

“Well, if you can kneel down for a moment, I can get an idea of how far to set the straps apart,” she said, carefully. If he’d just pulled something, the straps might be okay. If the skin was damaged though-

She shook her head. It would depend on how his back looked. If anything looked the least bit wrong, carrying a bundle on his back wouldn’t be an option she was willing to pursue.
Word count: 251
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Ksenia efficiently divided their spoils between them, packing the bundle and being generous in not giving him too much, despite his insistence that he could carry more. Soon, she had wrapped the wares and, with an expertise that told of a woman of great pragmatism, managed to make a carry-on for him to carry across his back.

Kit allowed Ksenia to get the bundle to his back, and the pain instantly began. It was a dully soreness, at least at first, anyway.

They started moving, and with every step, the pain grew. He clenched his jaw, trying to pull his mind away from the relentless throbbing across his back. Beads of sweat gathered on his forehead, and by the time the Hall came in to view, he couldn't do it any more. His breathing was heavy, and he actually stumbled, causing the bundle to shift, pulling off his dressing.

Kit gave a low cry in agony as pain lanced across his back, and he dropped to his knees as his world turned red. With his chin almost to his chest in them middle of the street, Kit's eyes streamed with pained tears. "Craftmistress ... I'm sorry ... I ..." He gasped again as the bundle shifted slightly. What it was doing to the wound beneath, he could not imagine. But it felt like his back was on fire.
Word count: 225
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Kit had let her settle the bundle on his back without protest, and Ksenia gingerly began the walk back. She’d tried to take as much as she thought he’d let her get away with in her own load. He’d set his jaw as they’d begun moving - determined to bull through any discomfort, she guessed.

They were just barely in sight of the Hall when Kit stumbled and cried out, falling to his knees in the street. "Craftmistress ... I'm sorry ... I ..." he said, his eyes full of tears. One of the neighborhood children running by stopped and stared, but she waved him off with a small frown. Ksenia set her bundle down quickly and lifted the load from Kit’s shoulders.

Dark patches of blood had soaked through his shirt at the left shoulder, running diagonally across his back toward his right side in the area where the bundle had lain. Ksenia took in a sharp breath. A few areas of pale yellow marked around the blood, showing that whatever was on his back, it had been trying to heal - and oozing.

“No, don’t worry. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have-” She broke off, closing her eyes for a moment. How could she help him hide the injury long enough to get inside? She unrolled the bundle again, tugging the smallest piece of fabric - a dark blue piece of wool - out. “Put this over your shoulders, take my load in your arms, and head to the back of the hall. We’re going to my room,” she directed.

Shouldering the larger bundle she’d initially given him, she offered him a hand up. “If nothing else, you’ll need to change your shirt,” she said with a sympathetic smile. “No one will think anything of it since I’ve got you carrying things for me. Come on, now.”
Word count: 317
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit dashed away the tears. They weren't of sorry, they were of shame, and he hung his head as Ksenia did her work. He gathered the items in his hand and followed behind her wordlessly.

The young mage was especially happy when Ksenia led them quickly through the gate and compound without stopping to chat or other such things. Kit just wanted to be away from anyone who might see the pain on his face or the mess on his shirt.

When she led them to her room door, he barely looked up from the floor. "Thank you, Craftmistress." He said, and followed her inside.
Word count: 105
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia walked through the Hall’s yard and into the building with a brisk step and an expression of mild annoyance on her face. When getting through a crowd, looking irritated and walking fast worked wonders. She heard Kit behind her, and shifted her bundle to open the door to her makeshift room. Artemis’ plans included a larger shop and room, but for now, she had an area sectioned off like the bunkrooms.

Pushing the door open, she let Kit in quickly before closing the door. “Here, just set that down on the floor,” she said, gesturing to his load and setting her own bundle down.

She sat on the edge of the bed and waved him over. “Feel free to sit.” Biting her lip a bit, she gave Kit a slightly worried look. “I know you’re hurt and you didn’t want to say anything earlier, but if I can help you, please - let me.”

Her eyes rested on the floor. “I-I’ve seen people with injuries from being beaten before. I know- what I’ve been through, it hasn’t been like that - but my - er, people have treated me badly in the past.”

She flicked her gaze upward to Kit’s face. “I’m guessing that maybe that’s the case and if so - you aren’t alone.” Giving him a smile that was both sad and knowing, she turned her head and became silent.

After a deep breath, she asked, “So, do you maybe have bandages that need rewrapping?” She chanced a glance at him. “I can help with that, at least. Then you can put on your new shirt and I can see about getting the bloodstains out of that one.”
Word count: 291
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit gratefully put down the wares and took a seat.

His forehead shimmered with sweat, as the throbbing pain of the wound seemed to make his chest tighten. He had had infected wounds before, of course, but he had been able to soak those wounds in a path with herbs. Since there was only the shared bathing areas, he had not dared to. He mostly washed himself standing before a basin when everyone was asleep. He longed for a bath, now. Though he was always thorough and never looked or dressed unkempt or dirty, he certainly didn't feel very clean.

Kit's eyes flicked to hers as she empathised with him. Among these people, these thief lords and ancient Elven warriors, here was a sympathetic face who seemed to care very little of such lofty things, and her warmth was so moving that he had to return his gaze to his clenched hands lest he shed real tears of grief.

"You are very kind, Craftmistress." Kit said. "And I am sorry that others have been unkind to you in your life. I know how alone that can make one feel."

Kit moved his shoulders just a bit, and his jaw clenched at the pain. There would be no way he would be able to get this shirt off without being in agony, and he wouldn't be able to treat or dress his wound, even if he could. He had to accept help. The dread of showing his back to someone - to anyone - made him feel sick. But what choice did he have? And was it not better that he should receive such help from someone so understanding and compassionate?

"I have no wish to offend you by asking you this, for I strongly feel that you would never do so, but I must ... what you see, when my shirt comes off ..." he took a deep breath, "I would ask that you do not share. I ... I couldn't bear it. Truly." He looked back to her. "But yes, Craftmistress. You are so kind and ... well, thank you. I would like to be helped."

Knowing he would have to get the shirt off, first of all, he rose. "Veditova bless you for this, Craftmistress Ksenia." He gulped down his anxiety and raised his arms slightly, letting out a small grunt of pain. The dressing, though sodden, had been pushed into the wound - he could feel it. It was going to be very painful ... Kit readied himself, and closed his eyes.
Word count: 420
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Sitting on the bed, Ksenia listened to Kit asking her not to say anything about his injuries. “I wouldn’t say what’s not mine to tell, Kit.” He stood, and she got up as well to help him get his shirt off. In just the few minutes he’d been sitting there, she could tell whatever it was hurt a lot.

He was taller than her by about half a head, but she managed to help him coax the shirt up and off his arms. The shirt, bloodied and stained, she folded absently and set on the top of the bed. Noticing Kit hadn’t moved yet, she circled behind him.

His torso was wrapped over his left shoulder and then down to just past his waist, with a wrap going around his ribs to keep it in place. The fabric had a collection of stains, old and new, of brown, yellow, and bright red. In several places the bandages looked stuck to the skin - or whatever scabs had tried to form.

When he’d carried the bundle, clearly the bandages had shifted; she saw the beginning of a deep cut by his wrapped shoulder that should have been covered. Where the wrapping didn't cover his torso, skin crosshatched with bright pink and white lines peeked out. “This - please tell me you’ve seen a doctor. Or a healer. It’s - not good.”

She swallowed hard. “I’m not even going to try to unwrap this yet. You’d scream. Best bet is to soak it, I think.” She stared at the bandages; she’d never suspected that the polite lad that Dáire had brought was hiding something so painful.

“If I ask Artemis for the bath for you alone, we can probably get it,” she said thoughtfully. “He has plenty of secrets to keep; he wouldn’t say anything if he did know about your injuries. He knows I won’t bathe around other people, either.” Her face twisted for a moment, thinking of being naked around other people, being watched- She shook her head.

“If that’s okay, you can stay here for a minute and I’ll check to see if the bath is open and if Artemis is around. Most of the crew knows not to bother me. One of the few perks of being in charge around here, even if it’s in name only,” she said with a wry smile. “Oh, and I can get you some liquor to help numb the pain, if you don’t mind it. I’m still owed my share of brandy.”
Last edited by Ksenia on March 27th, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 438
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

As Ksenia helped him remove the shirt, Kit had his eyes closed. He could only imagine what she must be thinking seeing such a site.

He had seen it before, mostly, in a mirror that had stood in his master's bedroom. When his master had taken a rare trip away for the day, Kit had - over the course of several hours - used his magic to unlock the door. What he had seen was a back where there was no longer any skin that was not simple scarred, ugly flesh. He had stared at it in awe and horror. He had been 16.

"I have seen a doctor ... a kind one. He knows about me, about being ..." He realised she might not know. He closed his mouth about being a mage. He had been told often enough to do just that. Instead he went with a word so much worse that he felt as if it were being dragged out of him. "A-abused." He cleared his throat afterwards, as if it had left a sour taste behind it.

He turned to look at her at the offers of a bath and of brandy. "I am only an errand boy. Wouldn't it seem odd to the others, were I given the favour of a private bath?" He couldn't deny he wanted it, and it was written all over his face. To bathe seemed like the height of luxury. "If you trust him to keep my secret, then I do too." He said.

Kit even managed a smile. "The only time I have ever drunk alcohol was the beer Dáire got me when I arrived. I am not even sure how it would affect me!" He shrugged, then winced. No more shrugging. "I am to see the doctor again tomorrow. He asked that I keep the wound clean, but I couldn't do it by myself. Whatever you feel is best, Craftmistress. You will know better than I, I am sure."
Word count: 329