Under Wraps [COMPLETED]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: Under Wraps

Post by Ksenia »

“Come with me to the bath and I’ll get you soaking - as long as you can stay awake,” Ksenia said with a wry smile. “Even though you probably wouldn’t feel me removing the bandages as much, I don’t want to set back any healing you have managed.”

Kit asked if she was an Elf. She blinked repeatedly. “Half,” she said, brushing her hair behind an ear to show the point. “I don’t really talk about it. In many areas of Fellsgard elves are looked at with suspicion, even though most elves you run across are Kerasokan and can’t do magic at all.”

Pulling her hair forward again, Ksenia began to head toward the bath. “My mother was human and I was with her until I was 15. I don’t know anything about my father other than, you know, he’s an elf.”

She opened the door and looked inside. “Good, it’s empty.” She took a piece of purple fabric from her pocket and tied it on the door handle. “That should keep people out for a bit. Come in and I’ll make sure there’s towels and soap for you, then leave you to soak for a bit.”

Heading over to the tub, she turned on the spigot and waited for the hot water. Ksenia pulled a towel and soap from stacked crates serving as shelves beside the tub. She set them in easy reach of the tub before checking the water and stopping the tub to let it fill. “Are you steady enough to get into the bath without trouble?” she asked.
Word count: 271
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Kit Heron »

As Ksenia told Kit about her history, he nodded along. If he had his wits about him, he might have wondered more at her story. It would surely be something he would think on when his head wasn't so foggy.

Despite the intoxicating effects of that horrid liquid Artemis had given him, he made a solemn vow never to drink anything that looked like that ever again! The numbness was a welcome change from the ache in his back, but that initial show of pain coursing through his body had been horrific. NO wonder he had lost control of his powers!

"I think I can manage." he said, without complete conviction.

Undressing down to his small clothes, and gratefully accepting a steady hand from Ksenia, Kit didn't really think about the fact that he was practically naked - another good thing about the tonic - and with many a (slightly) slurred 'thank you', he managed to get into the hot water and sat his hands resting on his knees. Indeed, the power of the tonic was such that he barely even felt the heat of the water!

"You're very kind." he managed to say, as the water soaked the bandages, tinting the contents of the tub slightly as the infected wound was being washed. The wrap became soft as the water soaked through the fabric, and he sighed as the steam rose, shimmering his face in droplets of water. His back was to Ksenia, but the drink had taken away the fear and disgust he felt in himself, for now at least.
Word count: 262
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia had given Kit her hand to step into the tub; he was still wobbly from that tonic of Artemis’. She’d tried not to flinch at his slurred ‘thank you’s as she helped him sit in the hot water. He didn’t know that he was making her terribly uncomfortable, and if Ksenia had any control at all, he wouldn’t know.

The water took on a brownish tinge as the bandages soaked and began to loosen from the wound slightly. Ksenia held her breath as she peeled the fabric from the wound, hissing slightly whenever it stuck. She scooped a handful of water and poured it on a stubborn spot.

“I’m really sorry if you feel any of this,” she said softly to Kit’s back. “Once I get the bandages off, I’ll make sure it’s clean. Let me know if there’s any salve or whatever the doctor gave you to put on.” She pulled a strip of stained, wet bandage from the water where it had finally fallen.

She worked carefully to release the stuck bandages, piling them on the floor next to her. “Hold still, I’m just going to grab a cloth to clean your back up a bit.” Rising from the floor, she grabbed a small bit of towel and the soap she’d brought over. She wet the cloth and worked in a bit of soap, then gently lathered the wound on Kit’s back. “If you can scoot over this way, I can get clean water on your back. Once you’re rinsed I’ll rebandage you - unless there’s something else you need done for it.”
Word count: 281
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit sat hunched in the tub. He winced now and then as a particular bandage seemed reluctant to relinquish its hold on his damaged flesh, but the tonic he had imbibed had gone a long way in taking away the pain.

"I am to see the doctor the morning after next," he explained. "I was so worried of others suspecting anything, I took no salve or potion from him. He promised to keep my secret... about me being a mage, I mean. The same thing happened when he first cleaned my wound. I made his whole office shake! It wasn't as strong as it had been this time, but the pain was less intense." He gave a grunt as she pulled away the last of the sodden bandages. "With respect to Mister Black, I won't be taking any medicine he gives me again!" He tried to smile, but the whole thing weighed heavily upon him. "Will he be okay? I won't pry as to how he came by his... affliction; his physical aversion to magic. I know what it is to want to keep a secret a secret."

Kit moved himself over as requested. Were it not for the effects of the tonic, he would be blushing scarlet at being in his underwear in the presence of an attractive woman (or indeed any woman!). "Redressing it would be a great help, Craftmistress. I can't do it alone because of where it is. I had hoped it would last longer, but I was wrong. It has been difficult to care for."

When she started to redress the wound, he closed his eyes against the numb ache. "Thank you for this, Craftmistress. And for the clothing, it has been many years since I had anything new."
Word count: 294
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Rinsing the last of the soap off Kit’s back, Ksenia laughed softly at Kit’s statement that he’d never take Artemis’ potions again. “I don’t pretend to know what all his potions do, but I am going to question him a lot closer myself next time!” She reached over for the strips of clean bandage.

“When you see the doctor next, if he does have something to put on this wound, take it. I’ll help you with it. If you can keep this clean and covered, it should heal faster.” She deftly passed her hands around his torso, wrapping the wound.

She considered Kit’s question about Artemis; she’d been avoiding answering but didn’t want the topic coming up in a less private conversation. “I don’t know where Artemis’ magic issues came from. I do know that he’s tangled with certain - unscrupulous - magic users in the past.” She passed another loop over Kit’s shoulder. “Maybe she had something to do with it,” Ksenia muttered.

She tugged gently at the bandage, folding it to redirect the fabric around Kit’s chest to stabilize the diagonal wraps. “I’ll get your new clothing in just a moment. Then you can rest for the afternoon.” She patted his unbandaged shoulder a bit stiffly as she rose.

Ksenia gathered the old stained bandages from the floor. “Wait here, I’ll be right back.” She left, shutting the door tightly, and walked quickly to her room. Untangling Kit’s new pants and removing the bowls from Kit’s shirt - she’d check on the damage to them later - she haphazardly folded them into a reasonable stack before going back.

“Here they are. You can change in here or in the bunkrooms; either way, take that piece of wool with you for a blanket for now. Pain - has a way of making you feel cold,” she said, briskly. “I’ll need it back later but you can hold on to it for a bit.” He seemed less wobbly and she was more willing to let him be.
Word count: 355
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit stood still as Ksenia wrapped him in fresh bandages, listening as she spoke. His eyes widened as her tone dipped when she spoke the word 'she', as the young mage's mind went back to the long conversation with Helo. The Craftmistress must certainly be referring to the witch whose name Helo had made him swear he would not ever utter under the roof or to the people of the East Hall. "I hope something can be done for him." he said.

This "allergy" to magic was very curious to him, and he wanted nothing more than to ask a thousand questions about it. He had heard of people on whom curses had been cast, or mages whose spells had gone wrong and had resulted in some affliction or other than had caused an aversion of some kind. But this seemed different.

However, Kit was hardly going to pry into the private affairs of Mister Black! Even a green boy fresh from the backwaters had heard enough about the enigmatic Master of the East Hall not to go down that route.

Kit's 'thank you's followed the young half-Elf out of the room as she went to get him fresh clothes, and he took some deep breaths. The familiar ache in his head was beginning to make its presence known as a result of using his magic, so. Hopefully, the more he practised, the less things like that would happen. Or so he hoped.

When she returned, Kit gave Ksenia a quick, shy smile. "I had better change in here, Craftmistress. My... ah... underwear is soaked through. If you might... turn around, please?" Despite the tonic, he still managed to blush.

He managed to pull on his pants, blessing the numbness as he bent and stretched to do so, but soon he was dressed. "Thank you for the blanket. I will see the doctor tomorrow for more instructions, though I suspect it will be as you say; keeping it clean and the dressings changed regularly." He stayed for a moment in a sort of nervous hesitancy. "You are very kind and gracious. Though everyone here has been good to me, I haven't really known anyone in my life who has so freely given me their care and all without even knowing me that well! I feel lucky to have met you, Craftmistress. I think you're..." He cleared his throat, and one could almost see him mustering the courage to continue. "Well... quite lovely. You have pretty ears, despite what some in this city might say."

Kit wasn't sure if he had over-stepped, he scratched at his temple a moment. "I would ask if you could allow me the chance to return your kindness, please. If I can help you in any way, in anything, please ask me. I know I can't do much at the moment, but if I can do it, I shall. I would very much like to." His eyes were everywhere but on Ksenia as he spoke. "If that's okay."
Word count: 502
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia had turned around quickly when Kit asked her to do so, her back stiff. She’d momentarily forgotten that he wouldn’t have taken the risk of dashing to the bunkroom and being seen. She heard the rustle of fabric behind her as he maneuvered into the new clothes.

Kit spoke while her back was still turned, and as he hadn’t said otherwise, she chose not to face him. His voice held a bit of shaky nervousness as he spoke about his upcoming doctor visit and began thanking her profusely - unnecessarily, she thought. She was responsible for keeping things running around the Hall, and if their newest of their merry band was unwell, she should help.

Kit paused and Ksenia strained her hearing, only to hear him compliment her - and her damned ears! She blushed, feeling the heat spread up the sides of her face and brushed her hair firmly over the afore-mentioned ears. She half-turned then, about to say something, but Kit wasn’t done speaking.

He offered her a favor. ‘Was it a One, a Two, or a Three?’ she thought, thinking of the Goose’s system of favors and bartering. “I - thank you for the offer,” she said, a bit hesitantly. “That’s very, um, generous of you. For now, just heal up and get better.” She reached out as though to pat Kit’s shoulder but thought better of it. “Go rest, and let me know about what your doctor says, if you need help. I’ll be around the Hall for the rest of the day.” Ksenia opened the door and walked out into the hall, heading for the trapdoor where Artemis’ room was.
Word count: 284