I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - The Audacity of Thieves

The Elves prepare their response to the theft of an important book.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Elára Vëa
Character
Quimellë,
Level
24 / 24 HP
16 / 16 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Monk and Rogue

I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - The Audacity of Thieves

Post by Elára Vëa »

Elára's eyes snapped open as the shouted word of 'Alpa' reached her slender ears, bringing her instantly awake.

She swung her legs out of bed, stepping into her slippers and throwing on a fine grey nightgown, her face stone cold in anger and irritation. Someone had dared to try and break into the Kelbé? What fool would ever try such a thing? Someone who was either half-witted or was seeking death. No one who knew anything about this family would be so stupid as to attempt to break in!

She pulled open the door, startling Raya who had her hand raised to knock.

"Out of the way girl!" she snapped, and moved towards the stairs. "What imbecile would even dare?" she said.

"I have no idea, Quimelle."

"I wasn't talking to you!" Elára said, as she descended the stairs, letting Raya hurry along afterwards holding up a lamp. It was

It was not that the Fana Kelbé was immune to thieves, of course; there would always be some idiot who thought they would try their luck. But it had been many years since the sentinels who kept watch had ever called out an alert. Usually they simply took care of it. A few broken bones later, and whatever fool had tried to get close had been deterred. Rumours of what the Elves did with anyone who tried to encroach on their territory was usually enough to keep that from happening. But since the alert had come, it had meant someone had actually gotten close to warrant them risking Elára's wrath at being woken.

The Elven woman stopped at the bottom of the stairs, her sharp eyes widening slightly as she looked at the large entrance door, which stood open in the night. Someone had been in! 'Impossible!' she thought. Someone had actually gotten past the sentinels and even into the tavern! She nearly growled. "Alert the Cáno." she commanded to Raya, just as other members of the family were beginning to move about the place, some coming down into the bar. She was loath to bother Aurae - though no doubt her old friend had heard the same alert - but just like Elára, it was probably that the leader of the tavern would also assume that no one would have been able to get past the sentinels and the wards. "Check everything! I want to know what has been taken. Where are those sentinels?"

People scattered to do as she bade, while Elára stood, waiting for the reports to come back.

"The Ledger?" she asked, with some surprise. "Nothing else? Coin? Anything from the rooms?"

The young man before him shook his head. "No, Quimelle, not that we can tell."

Elára's eyes turned as Tirana walked through the door. She had an angry expression on her face, clutching her bow in her hand as she strode to Elára, sending the younger elf male scurrying away. "Report, Olbá." Elára commanded, using Tirana's rank.

"Two thieves. Humans." The Elven sentinel said, with a face like thunder. It was clear she was enraged. "One broke in while the other aided him. The other was a mage, and used magic to block my arrows."

Elára's brow rose. At least it explained how they had pulled this off; no ordinary person could have done so, but it did mean the wards around the place would have been activated. She glanced to the boy who stood, awaiting her orders. "Bring Síra Cithrel at once; we will need her skill here." She looked back to Tirana. "Where are these Humans now? How do two Humans escape sentinels of the Kelbé? More magic?"

Tirana shook her head. "No, Quimelle. There was a third, a Perehel. She attacked Jinvar and I, no doubt giving the thieves a chance to escape."

The Elven woman's eyes widened at that! Even half-Elves had enough respect not to do such a thing. "Remain here; you will give a report to the Cáno, directly. Meanwhile, send others out and see if these thieves can't be found." She turned and tapped her fingers on the bar, her eyes hard.

Whoever did this would regret it, regardless of who they were.
Word count: 709

"What is it? I am very busy and important."
Cithrel
Character
Level
22 / 22 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Lumeacia
Class: Sorcerer and Wizard

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) - The Audacity of Thieves

Post by Cithrel »

If it wasn't for Tirana’s shrill voice penetrating Cithrel’s slumber, the sudden, fierce vibrations of the Kelbe’s magical wards certainly would certinaly have been enough. Shooting bolt upright in bed, there was no chance of her remaining remotely sleepy. Scanning the room and then listening intently, the rumbling ruckus of noise drifted up to her from the lower levels of the Tavern, and the angry voices bouncing around outside in the pitch black night.

The magic of the wards thrummed insistently through her, the pulses not unlike a pounding headache as she swung herself out of bed. She staggered more than walked to the door, almost falling through the space in a most un-elven fashion. Her movements remained jerky and unco-ordinated until she managed to step out the rear door of the establishment and bury her bare toes deep into the soil. Cithrel took a deep breath, closing her eyes and allowing her senses to extend outwards. In her mind's eye, the lattice of her magical wards sprung into existence. The fine threads calmed as she connected with them, easing the vicious thrumming in her head back to the gentle hum they usually would be.

Cithrel followed the single line of magic that still pulsed, the deep red colour of the thread growing in intensity as she got closer to the source of the disruption. At the point of impact, the magic quivered and writhed like a flame caught in a draft. Her brow creased as she inspected the magical remnant that her ward had ensnared within it, which was of course the source of the wild vibrations. Trapped within a coil of her wards, the mages magic fought to return to the world whence it was so suddenly pulled.

This told Cithrel that either their plan had gone wrong somewhere, the mage not expecting to wield magic this night, or that it was a young and inexperienced mage. Which of course was the most dangerous sort of human you could run into. In her mind at least. She scowled to herself, why was it always humans that caused the most hassle?

Unable to pull the sliver of the mages' magic into her from her current location, the wards surrounding her and the Kelbe once again calm now they were reset sufficiently, she opened her eyes, stretched languidly and made her way back upstairs. Dressing swiftly in a warm sweater and fur lined boots, Cithrel set about bracing herself, and her magic, before jogging back downstairs to face the Quimelle.
Last edited by Cithrel on April 8th, 2020, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 423
Elára Vëa
Character
Quimellë,
Level
24 / 24 HP
16 / 16 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Elára Vëa »

Elára stood at the bar, very still, tapping a finger softly on the wood. The Elf was deep in thought, but her head turned as Cithrel descended the stairs and came into the bar area.

Around them, members of the staff who hadn't been sent out on the hunt were sat here and there, all looking either nervous or confused. The Quimelle's presence was not a soothing one, and the room was extremely tense, with a palpable silence.

As the young Elf woman came towards her, Elára looked up. Though the general staff were troubled by someone actually getting in and out of the Kelbé, there was a general assumption that Elára and the sentinels would have it under control. But to Elára, this was deeply troubling, and she was becoming more so as the time went on and no reports had come in on the thieves.

"Suíl, Cithril." Elára greeted her. "I am sure you are aware we had an unwelcome visitor make his way into the tavern. There was a mage involved ... I cannot think of another way we could have been beaten like this. Since neither I, the Canó, or any of the sentinels have magic, perhaps you can shed some light on this mystery." The woman's eyes were smouldering with quiet fury. "The sentinels are searching the city for two Humans and a Peredhel [half-elf]. I am told it was one of the Humans who used the magic, if that is of any use to you. They took from us an extremely valuable ledger. Should it fall into the hands of the authorities, or some powerful criminal faction in the city, our position could be significantly weakened. I hope you can give me something to be hopeful for, Síra."
Word count: 299

Cithrel
Character
Level
22 / 22 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Cithrel »

Cithrel found herself face to face with the Quimellë a bit sooner than she'd prepared herself for. Stopping abruptly, listening attentively to the older elf, well used to the woman’s gruff manner and found herself smiling wryly by the end of her superior's update. Of course she’d already ascertained some of that information but the whole situation was rather intriguing to her.

“It was a human mage, they’re either young and untrained or they’d been totally unprepared for magical intervention. Though I suspect if there were more than one of them that the former is a more likely situation. If there’s a rogue Peredhel in the city, they will undoubtedly be known to some of us. It shouldn't be hard to track that one down. She stated confidently, showing her naive arrogance off to all those around her.“I was just on my way to collect the remnant magic the wards ensnared when their power struck them

Although the young elf suffered the over abundant self arrogance that seemed bred into the Lumeacia elves, she was right to feel they had the upper hand in some regards. The elves of Fellsgard were like a large family, while it could prove bothersome when everyone was in your business, it was times like this that it proved priceless.

“Should I reach out and start spreading word of an unconnected Peredhel requiring detention? She asked innocently, though the gleam in her eyes was something resembling a predator locking onto prey. And excellent excuse to speak to Dáire She thought to herself, still bummed by the older man's absence from their home when she knew he was still within the city, and surrounded by humans. She grumbled inwardly at the second unwelcome thought.

“Should I call in our more skilled contacts to track and deal with the humans then Quimellë?

The thought of seeing the various kerosakan elves getting the chance to spread their wings and showcase their honed skills was an experience she’d relish having a front row seat to.
Word count: 344
Elára Vëa
Character
Quimellë,
Level
24 / 24 HP
16 / 16 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Elára Vëa »

Elára listened as Cithrel spoke. Part of her was irked that she had no way of dealing with a magic user in the same way as their resident Lumaecian mage, especially since the Human mage who had stood against one of their sentinels had not only escaped, but had managed to use his powers to deflect a direct attack.

When Cithrel mentioned that this mage was young or untrained, her eyes narrowed. "So a fledgling mage managed to interact with our wards, defend themselves against a sentinel and flee? This will not do. We must be prepared for this person being stronger than we might anticipate, young or untrained, they managed to do what more seasoned wizards had not been able to do."

Widening the search was the best idea, and the more information they had the better. "There is the possibility that we are dealing with a very organised group ... or an extremely lucky one. As for the Peredhel, we must not underestimate her. If a half-Elf has taken up with one of the many gangs then she will be protected. As I have said to the others, be wary in your investigations, Surí. We do not want to ruffle too many feathers in this affair. If it turns out to be one of the larger groups, then make no move against them, not until we have held counsel with the Canó present." She was trying to anticipate every scenario, and the worst would be a war with another faction in the city. Though they had great strength among them, a war would draw the attention of the authorities, and she knew damn well that the Elves would not be treated well by the great houses.

As Cithrel suggested bringing in more skilled contacts, Elára nodded slowly. "Very well." she said, almost reluctantly. "Whomever you involve in this, I trust that you will impress upon them the importance of discretion. We cannot allow the other factions to know we have been wounded so. They will circle like vultures if they smell blood."

As another Elf came trotting back inside, the Quimellë gave Cithrel a nod. "I will be here, should you learn anything." She lowered her voice slightly. "You are the expert in magic here, Cithrel, but do not let pride blind you in this. Humans can be surprising creatures, and this one has magic and some kind of group to support him. I want you to make finding him your top priority. Do whatever you need to, but take no direct action without an explicit order. Good hunting."

Then the older woman, turned to the nervous looking Elf who stood waiting to speak to her. At his report that he had "found nothing so far", Elára proceeded to stare the boy down so hard that he turned on his heel and headed back out into the city.

Elára had many suspicions, but nullifying the mage was crucial, of that she was sure. Cithrel was their best hope in that regard.
Word count: 506

Cithrel
Character
Level
22 / 22 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Cithrel »

Cithrel nodded sullenly to the Quimellë’s warning and made a hasty retreat out the front doors of the Kelbé, passing another young, apprehensive looking elf as she slipped out into the crisp winter air. She wasn't entirely sure what the Quimellë had meant by her warning, but she would certainly consider her actions more carefully before she made any.

Glancing around, the day could pass for any other that happened to dawn in this city, the hum of voices from the market carried on the breeze from the middle of town, the odd drunkard sat stooped in a doorway, unable to walk or find their way home in their inebriated states a few mere hours previous. Cithrel’s nose wrinkled in distates as she pushed on towards the magical energy she could feel pulsing in her wards a few yards away.

Taking a moment to absolve herself in internal quiet, she moved her focus towards the web of wards, reaching out a hand and laying cautiously upon the invisible barrier that encircled the entire building. Her own magic that had reinforced and bonded to the already established wards jumped at her proximity, the energy a comforting and invigorating presence as she began the task of untangling the foreign human magic from it’s snare.

Cithrel knew she wouldn't be able to hold the foreign energy within her body for long, the consequences were often painful and on rare occasions, could have permanent repercussions. So, it was vital she made the complicated and draining effort to memorise as much about the structure and flavour of the magic, while absorbing the emotional intent of the caster that was always laced through the magic, not dissimilar to roots through soil. All the information had to be internally logged as quickly as she possibly could, and all within a period that never failed to feel far too brief when she’d completed this exercise during training. Once memorised, she would mediate at a later time and fully analyse everything she had been able to draw from the magical signature.

On a deep sigh she let go of the mages' magic and the kelbé’s wards, releasing herself from the internal focus with ease, her bright blue eyes eyes flicking open and squinting in the bright of day. She needed to formulate a plan of action- and swiftly, for she feared she may suffer Elara’s impatient wrath if she dawdled. Turning sharply on her heels, she hurried her way back into the kelbé. Her first port of call- to track down paper and something to write a note of summons with. She knew exactly who she was going to call upon to step in, and even thought their mere presence unsettled her in ways she couldn't quite pinpoint, she knew their help was her best option to track down these humans.
Word count: 478
Fëanáro Larkain
Character
Spirit of Fire
Level
25 / 25 HP
16 / 16 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 75c
Class: Fighter and Rogue

Post by Fëanáro Larkain »

To the average eye, it would probably have appeared as nothing more than yet another winter night in the city of Fellsgard, and sure enough that was the impression Farro had as he left the witch in his home that night. However, the further south he drew the more electric the air around him seemed to become.

‘Something’s about to go down.’ He thought to himself, suddenly unsatisfied with his potioning down on the streets with the nightlife and drunks. In a few swift movements, he’d scaled one of the lower buildings and drunk in the crisp, much cleaner air the more lofty position allowed him. His sharp eyes scanned the surrounding rooftops, hoping for any glimpse of what now had small tingles running over his skin. He felt his shoulder slump of their own accord when nothing obvious caught his attention, and with a silent sigh, he continued the route he’d been forging towards the Goose.

While his inner magpie was urging him to hurry to collect his due coin, Farro found himself drifting in another direction, skipping over the rooftops like indistinct shadows. Whether it was an instinct, a knowing, or whatever one may call such an unexplainable pull, it wasn't long before the sounding of heavy breathing and non-too quiet footsteps could be heard in the distance. It caught farros attention like the scratching of a mouse may a cat, he froze mid movement, head snapping in the direction of the noise. While running people in this district was not uncommon, the lack of any fumbling steps or wheezing breathing from taking a blow meant that these were not your more legal, dark of the night antics.

Slinking his way across a roof that would afford him a view of the street, he hid in the shadow of a chimney and watch in fascination as a pair of humans burst around the far corner. Both young men he summarized, the slight, barely filled out frames they boasted giving them away without much deduction needed on his part. What puzzled Farro though, was that his heightened hearing, nor his keen eyes could pinpoint anything of which the two boys may be running from. His golden eyes glinted in the strong moonlight that bathed the frosty street as he moved out of his cover, following curiously. The humans were so busy scurrying along the street below him, that they never thought to look up, both remaining totally oblivious to the elf so attentively watching over them from above.

Both men were puffing clouds of white air by the time they finally stopped in a shadowy street many blocks from where they’d begun their travels. Farro settled down, crouching in a shadow as the two many exchanged hushed words between them. Well, what they believed were hushed words, and probably would have been had he not been elven.

Farro had no idea what either man had been up to, but the mention of the elves had his eyes narrowing on the sharper featured man. He was far from a social or well loved man among his elven brethren, but what affected them always had a backlash on him and his own interests within the city.

Their youth and inexperience were painfully obvious to the old elf, both mentioned names and even the residence of the mage, whose cherry scent had begun to waft it’s sickly scent up to his hiding spot. His nose crinkled in disgust as the pair parted, leaving him with the decision of whether to follow one- the other - or simply go back about his business. The man had been clutching something to his chest like a precious treasure, this alone had Farro wanting to follow the man. What was one man’s treasure surely could be worth a pretty coin to either them or another after all.

However after asserting that that human was heading towards the sums- even the thought of the filth of that section of the city made his stomach turn, Farro followed the young mage west but soon became bored when he seemed to enter some sort of trademan’s hall. With a grunt of disappointment, he dropped to the streets once more and returned to his original plan of collecting his pay. It was sad to think, the night had felt to hold so much promise and yet now, it just all flat and dull.
Word count: 740
Kira Lenora
Character
Arcaod Lieutenant
Level
25 / 25 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Fighter

Post by Kira Lenora »

It had been the proudest moment of her life when Kira was promoted to lieutenant. Earning those two silver stars, having them being given to her in a modest ceremony (though to her it was enough - it was amazing) by a colonel of House Arcaod was everything she wanted. It was not the limit of her desires, of course. One day she hoped to be as close to the top of the ranks as she could be, but getting to lieutenant had been a dream come true. Her father had only ever reached sergeant, and her brother, who had been beside himself with jealous indignation, looked set to achieve no higher. At such a young age, Kira had outshone them both through hard work, no social life to speak of, and never even considering marriage or children (much to her mother's dismay, though her brother had given her three grandchildren, so Kira didn't feel particularly bad about that.)

However, now she was here, the fantasy was somewhat dulled by the presence of her desk.

The squad she commanded was not just a typical guard squad; they were investigators, detectives. They weren't usually out on patrol, breaking up fights of inspecting shipments. Instead, they were to delve deeper into the criminal underworld of Fellsguard, which House Arcoad had - though they had never truly outright said it - become concerned with.

Kira had envisaged something wholly different to what she was now doing, which was mainly filing reports, giving feedback, and generally supervising her squad as they went out and did the actual work. She might have two pretty silver stars, but they had an invisible rope and it was tying her to this Idols-damned desk!

And so, it was with some relief that she finally got a chance to actually do something, when Guardswoman Jessica Pol, one of her more promising guards, came to her with something very interesting.

It was mid-morning, damp, and business as usual when the large woman (with Sergeant Gathin in tow) knocked on Kira's office door, offering an apology for interrupting and asking if she might have a word. The 'word' turned out to be many words, and they were good words, or so she would learn.

"Does this really warrant us getting involved?" she had asked, as Pol reeled off what she knew. "Someone broke into a tavern and stole a book... I hardly think this is something me passing along as any problem particularly big to the Higher-Ups."

It was Gathin who answered, leaning his shoulder against the wall, scratching at his stubble. "Thing is, ma'am, is that generally people don't provoke the Elves of the White Hart and live to tell the tale. The fact that they not only managed to break in and grab this ledger is big, but this ledger could lead to something bigger."

Pol nodded in agreement. "That place is as crooked and dark as any of the others, and my guy knows where it is right now!"

"Could lead to a lot." Gathin again. "The Hart Elves are tight. Never been able to get anything on them, even though it's as clear as Fae spit that they're doing something to keep them fat and rich."

Kira considered this. She wasn't ignorant of The White Hart, no one was, really. Especially not those who enforced the law. The place was very well known, but about which, very little was known of. "Who was this man?" she asked Pol.

The stout woman glanced at Gathin, and then back to Kira. "He's not..."

Kira held up her hand, placating and silencing the woman at the same time. [speech]"I'm not planning on bringing in your informant, Pol. I just want to know how he came by this information. Is he working for the Hart?"[/speech]

Pol shook her head. "The Sparrows." she said.

"I see." The Sparrows were either new, or had only just found there footing to make any sort of mark. As far as she knew, they were simply another little gang who caused trouble for the guard. Petty thieves and thugs. "And it was the Sparrows who carried out this theft." It wasn't a question. "But why? It makes no sense to go up against an organisation like the Hart. It's idiotic. And why the ledger?" She asked, but she could guess.

Gathin confirmed what she was already thinking. "Bribery, I'd guess." he grunted. "Fools."

Kira rose to her feet, Pol following suite and Gathin standing up straight. "Gather whoever you can, Sergeant, and get that ledger. Arrest the forger or not, I'll leave that up to you."

The older man looked like he might protest, but in the end nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

She pulled on her jacket, and motioned to Pol. "You're with me. I think a theft it worth investigating in this case." She strode to the door, the pull of an actual hands-on investigation too strong to ignore, to get out of this damned office, was elating. "Time to speak to the Elves."

Along with Jessica Pol, Kira had brought along one of her other guards, Adrian Dale, who she had heard speaking on Elvish on one occasion. It had earned him some teasing from the others (the phrases 'Elf-fucker' and 'knife-ears' had been used when they thought the she had been out of earshot - which she had taken note of. There was no place for bigots in her squad), so figured he might come in handy as she barely knew anything past 'hello', 'how are you?' and 'goodbye'. Adrian had not seemed too happy about it, but had not protested. Kira had cemented her command quickly by immediately administering punishment for the slightest infraction. It was not sustainable, nor did she relish it, but her age (and to some extent, her sex) had always been against her, so she had been forced to compensate by being hard on them. She did wonder, at times, what they said about her behind her back. She doubted it was very pleasant.

Approaching the large tavern and inn, Kira's eyes went up to the gentle swaying, heavy sign bearing the painted alabaster stag, and the elegant Elvish writing underneath - Il Fana Kelbé - and couldn't help but feel a twinge of nerves. For all her posturing - for she knew she did it, it was a necessary evil - she was very much aware of her inexperience despite her hard work and study. There wasn't a law in Fellsguard she didn't know to the letter, and she knew how to use her sword, fists and feet as well as any war-veteran. But this was going to be different.

At the door stood a tall (they were all tall!) Elven woman who gave them a curious look.

"Pol, wait here." she ordered.

"Ma'am." was the response. The woman sounded disappointed.

Ignoring the Elf standing guard at the door (had there always been a guard at the door?), Kira pushed through and into the tavern proper. As expected, the few people - mainly staff - turned to look at them with curiosity, suspicion, surprise, and even outright hostility. It seemed the guard did not much frequent this place.

Good. Let them be rattled. "Excuse me, miss." she said to an Elven woman carrying a tray of cups, doing her best to look disinterested, and then looking annoyed as she was addressed. "Lieutenant Lenora, House Arcaod. Who is in charge here?"
Word count: 1243