The Sparrows - Anticipating the Wrath of the Elves

Helo returns to the spoils, and Mila decides on a plan to handle the inevitable retaliation of the bungled burglary.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Re: The Sparrows - Anticipating the Wrath of the Elves

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit smiled as he imagined Calem demanding a winged horse! He, himself had often been given to flights of fancy, and he could relate.

When the doctor spoke with passion at imagination being instrumental in 'truly living', Kit nodded. "I understand that point of view, and I agree with it in most respects. One has to use one's imagination if they are to truly study certain topics, and as for magic ... there were more than a few authors of books on the subject who viewed it as an art, rather than a science. They would describe it in a, well magical or fantastical way. A stark contrast to others for whom the whole thing was merely another branch of science, like biology or chemistry." He smiled gratefully at Calem's offer. "I am often told I study too much. I would be very grateful if you would allow me to read some of your books. It is a very kind offer! You'll have to give me a recommendation on which to start with, as I would probably spend more time trying to pick than actually reading."

Staring at the Great Lighthouse, the young mage considered the man's words on the names of the great beings many across the world worshipped. "You seem to take much comfort in the Idols. I am not sure where I stand on them, to be honest. Sometimes I believe they were just people, risen to deity status through myths and stories. Other times I read account written with such conviction that I am almost sure they are all real; each and every one of them. I pray to Veditova, though through habit or true belief, I do not truly know."

The way he spoke about magic was intriguing. He actually seemed quite passionate about the subject! "I'm not bored." he assured Calem. "I was just never taught it in that manner. In order to use magic, I must traverse a network of energy. I was never taught that it was divine, and even calling it 'magic' was rare in my previous home. It was simply a matter of matter, if that makes sense. Especially with telepathy... though now I have seen other forms of magic, it does seem more... mystical to me. More mystical than 'energy transference' and 'telekinetic holistic interactions'." he smiled as he said these things. That was how he had been taught; never to use the flowery language of magical art, but the proper, pragmatic language of the science of the arcane.

The wind was fresh, blowing in from the sea. It lifted his spirits slightly, though the shadow of the events of the night before hung on him, despite everything. When Calem mentioned the White Hart, Kit actually jumped as if startled! He turned to the doctor with a pale face. "You know someone from the Hart? He took a breath, as his heart thudded in his chest. "Is this person a friend? Have you heard anything from there? Has anything been reported?" He asked these questions quickly, a panicked look on his face.

On the wide surface of the wall, the silver-grey cat gave a small growl.
Word count: 526
Calem Sabathe
Character
Khy'eras' Okayest Doctor
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Class: Cleric

Post by Calem Sabathe »

Calem nodded. He'd always been a believer in the Eidolons and Idols. Perhaps it was partially because of his upbringing, but at the same time there was a desire to believe in something out there, looking after each and every being in the world. And yet, if you asked him to prove that Cecilia was still with them, well, he couldn't. "In all honesty, perhaps the Eidolons and the Idols and all those old stories are just... stories. But I think believing in stories is just as powerful as believing in anything else, and you could certainly believe in worse things." If the Idols and Eidolons were just stories, then they were stories that had changed the earth. Maybe that was enough.

It was interesting to look at Kit's approach to magic, a more scientific one as opposed to his own which was, to put it in Kit's words, more artistic. "Fascinating! Perhaps there is something to the hypothesis that all people approach magic in different way. I personally have no experience with such a... network of energy? For me it has always been something more like... a feeling. An emotion, perhaps. Or something warm, or cold. In some cases I've felt... colour, as strange as it was, though only in particularly strong cases." Calem looked around, and hoped nobody was listening. The people around were still living their own lives, of course, and it was unlikely that the cat was going to tell anyone who didn't already have their own magic. Still, who knew who was listening? 'Probably better to change the subject, for now...' Calem thought to himself.

However, to his surprise, Kit changed the subject himself - quite dramatically - asking about The White Hart. "Well, sort of? I only went the once and--" Calem suddenly stopped, having noticed Kit's face turn nearly white. "Kit?" Calem slung the young wizard's arm over his shoulders to support him. "Kit. Take a deep breath. In through your nose, out through your mouth." The doctor resurfaced, speaking calmly but more seriously. Something was very wrong. "Let's find somewhere for you to sit down." Calem looked over the harbour - while it was as busy as ever, most people looked as though they were busy focusing on their own issues, and it didn't seem like they would be disturbed. Calem guided Kit towards one of the empty benches, sitting down beside him. 'Some kind of anxiety attack? Perhaps, but it only triggered when I mentioned The White Hart.' Calem placed a couple of fingers upon the boy's wrist, and Calem could feel the young man's heart was beating fast. "Good, Kit. Focus on your breathing. Deep breaths, now."

What had happened to the young boy at that tavern? The owners were certainly a bit frightening, without doubt, but calling this an over-reaction was an understatement. Calem waited for Kit to gain a bit of his composure. "Can you tell me what happened, Kit?" Calem realised that, whatever had happened, perhaps in the middle of the harbour was not the best place to discuss about it. "Actually, perhaps this isn't the best place - would it be easier if I take you elsewhere? The Urban District isn't too far and we can talk in my office, if that would be easier, unless there is somewhere else you'd feel comfortable."
Word count: 559
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

"Belief can be a powerful thing." Kit admitted, as they stood in the cool sea breeze. "I have read many accounts of people doing all manner of things in the name of Gods or Idols. And then there are accounts of people interacting with them personally, as if they were real people. Of course, these could all have been made up, but I don't think so. I have prayed to Veditova since I learned of her, but when I prayed for things to... change, to get better..." He shrugged his shoulders, not wanting to go deeper down that particular hole. He had never spoken of his old master to anyone. Not yet.

On the subject of magic, he could talk all day, but he knew it wouldn't be completely safe to do so out in public. But it was nice to talk to someone else with magic who wasn't immediately going to remind him that he should never speak of it, let alone use it. "There seems to be so many ways people can 'see' magic. Or sense it... or any other word one can think of. I used to think it was to do with which magical discipline one was aligned to, but now I am not so sure. Perhaps it is how we're taught? I was always told magic was a science and a tool, and maybe that's shaped how I see and use it. I know it's a risky thing to do, but I have been making a journal... perhaps you could look at it sometime and tell me what you think? You don't have to, of course." He had not dared mention it to Vanessa, as no doubt the Fae professor would have had him destroy it immediately - and with good reason, he supposed.

When the conversation was on the matter of the White Hart, his heartbeat was so loud he could hear it in his ears. "I did something to them," he said, his voice infused with fear. "And now the Elves might be after me. I should never-"

Then the cat hissed, getting to it's feet. It's fur was up and its eyes were fixed on Kit.

The young mage scratched his temple. "I'm sorry! I just..." he was actually talking to the cat! Then he turned to Calem. "I'm sorry, doctor. I have to go. I don't want to get you into trouble. It's probably better you don't know anything, or we both might end up dead!"

With that ominous warning, he scooped the cat up into his arms (which the cat didn't seem particularly impressed with) and turned to go. "I'm sorry to have been so cryptic, but Helo is right - I shouldn't be telling you this. It's too dangerous. I... I hope I see you before you leave the city."

And then Kit was off, jogging away while holding the cat, mumbling out apologies and excuses to it as he basically fled, leaving Calem behind.
Word count: 496
Helo Tarran
Character
Thief
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Rogue

Post by Helo Tarran »

Helo had been frustrated, exasperated and downright astounded during Kit's interaction with the other Human, this doctor who Kit had mentioned before, but Helo had no idea the two were actually friends! Not friendly enough for Kit to be divulging their crime!

In his cat-form, there was little he could do but grumble and hiss, which had not deterred the young mage. His only consolation was that he had learned a little about this other Human; he was a mage of some kind. Kit trusted him, though whether that would prove to be beneficial or detrimental only time would tell. He also found out that this Human, this doctor, was friends with someone from the Kelbé! Who!? Of all the people Kit had chosen to confide in (which should have been no one!) he had chosen a mage who was friends with a Kelbé Elf!

"What the fuck were you thinking?" he shouted the instant he shifted back into his human-like form.

Kit had carried him in his arms, apologising profusely the entire way, until they had managed to find an empty side alley where Helo had jumped from his arms immediately, rounding on the young mage with a face pale with frustrated anger.

"You don't even know him that well! What if he goes running to the Elves now and tells them who you are! Stars above, Kit! I thought you were intelligent, for fuck's sake!" The Changeling was near shaking! His fist were clenched and he paced, almost as cat-like as if he were in his cat-form, in the small confined space, trying to calm myself down. "Mila is going to put a knife in my throat, for this... if I'm lucky. Stars know what she'll do to you!" He took a long breath. "We were fucked before this, Kit. Now we're double fucked! Triple fucked! Stars..."
Word count: 309
Kit Heron
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Kit Heron »

Kit felt terrible for fleeing, leaving Calem with what he assumed must be a thousand questions. What had he been thinking?!

And then it was so much worse.

The moment Helo's form shimmered, his friend was stood before him completely furious, and rightly so. Kit made mistakes, but this was so much bigger than accidentally knocking over some pots with his mind.

"I'm so sorry." he said, breathlessly. His body trembled and his breath came forth as if he had just run a mile. His head began to ache, and he closed his eyes as fear coursed through him. No one had spoke to him like this - berating him with such anger - since his old master. "I don't know what... I don't..."

In the alley, bits of rubbish and refuse began to rise from the floor. A paper bag whipped up as if caught by a stiff wind, though the air around the two was still. Dust detached itself from the cold stone around them and flew in small circles as the young man's eyes grew wet with tears.

"Please don't..." hurt me His already pale face was marked by a crimson flush, not of embarrassment or shame, but of actual terror. He seemed to shrink in on himself, his shoulders tense, as if expecting to be hit at any moment. "I'll be good, I promise... I don't want it anymore... I can't..."

Though he stood in the cool alley in the city of Fellsguard, Kit's mind had taken him back to the small room where he had so often stood, half naked while a switch laced his back in livid lines against pale, trembling flesh. He was drowning in the memory, triggered by a lack of sleep, the act from the previous night that had put him in hot water, and his friend raging at him for his stupidity at breaking his vow of silence of the whole affair.

"It hurts!"
Word count: 324