A Darker Side

While on a visit to the town of Verdant Row, Katarya stumbles across an interesting shop!

Verdant Row can be chaotic or peaceful to a fatigued adventurer. Managed by spirits, this town serves as a temporary stop for a person to rest and eat. If there is no trouble about, a stay here is lovely, due to the nearby picturesque scenery. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

A Darker Side

Post by Katarya Frost »

This might have been a wrong turn. Suddenly that shadowy alley led right into a shop focused on occult based magic. And curiously enough, the shop keep is a human, not a spirit.

Pulling her cloak around herself a little tighter, Kat shivered against the cold and picked up the pace. She needed to get to the inn as fast as she could, lest she miss the travelling salesman who had agreed to give her a lift back to Fellsguard in his wagon (well, he had agreed after she had used a little glamour magic, anyway!).

This was her first time in Verdant Row as an adult, and she had only been once before as a child when her Grandmother, Lilian, had brought her to see an old friend of hers (another witch named Vera). She had been too young to remember the visit properly, but one thing had stuck; she hadn’t liked the place then, and she didn’t like it now.

Despite her hurry, she stopped in the street. The amulet she wore around her neck started to tingle against her skin. Above her, Nyx cawed out to her, as if confirming what she was thinking. ‘Strong magic … somewhere near’. The amulet remained cool to the touch, so she didn’t think it was anything malevolent (it would grow hot in danger was close), and even though she knew she ought to hurry to catch the wagon, she was defenceless when it came to magical curiosity …

Kat peered down the alleyway, full of shadow as the sun was setting on the horizon.

What was down there?

‘Only one way to find out,’ she thought, and made her way down the small passage, hoping she wouldn’t regret the decision.

It was a shop; that was where the magic she sensed was coming from. She stood in front of it, looking at the modest structure curiously. In the window were a selection of oddments, all looking suitably mysterious; a black candle, some old books, even a small crystal ball! It was so odd to see such a place; in Fellsguard this place would have been burned to the ground before it even got built! This was too good of an opportunity to miss! Even if she couldn’t afford to buy anything … she actually felt nervous as she pushed open the door.

It was like stepping into a young witch’s dream: the place was just what one would picture when one considered what a shop full of occult items looked like. Small oil lamps hung from the ceiling, giving off just enough light for her to be able to see the wares, but dark enough to add to the atmosphere. She passed rows of herbs, bottles marked with things like ‘Draught of Good Fortune’, ‘Bottled Flame’ and many others. There was a dazzling array of books … most of them cheaply made, but the contents more than made up for their poor exterior. There were books on magic of all kinds: transmutation, glamour, spell-crafting …

“Good day, young miss.”

Kat turned her gaze from a particular book named ‘Magical Familiar’ which she would have loved to read (Nyx sat on her shoulder, and Kat wondered if the book might have anything in it that could teach her more about the powers the raven might possess). ”Oh … hello.” She said. ”My apologies; I didn’t see you there.”

The voice belonged to a tall, yet very old man. He was dressed in a woollen smock, modest looking, but also sporting several amulets varying in size and quality. Some of those she recognised; a pewter circle with a protection ruin on it, another sporting a white feather, she assumed might be something to help with pain or to ward off illnesses, and other that might be simple decoration. He gave the Kat a slight bow. ”Welcome to the ‘Rusty Cauldron’, young witch.”

Kat near jumped at that. ”How did …”

He laughed, a rasping sound that suggested a bad chest (or simply old age … he might have been the oldest looking person she had ever met. “How did I know?” He gave her a smile. “A good wizard can tell these sorts of things. And don’t look so worried; this isn’t Fellsguard. You won’t be burned at the stake or anything.”

Kat returned the smile, though she wasn’t exactly pleased at the joke. ”Well … I’m afraid I’m not so experienced. I didn’t … sense anything.”

The man chuckled again. “Time, practice and patience. The three cornerstones of magic.” His eyes to Nyx. “And a fine day to your companion,” he said. “To say you’re a novice, it is surprising that you have a familiar, already.”

”Well, summoning her almost killed me,” she said with a shrug. ”I was a bit foolish in even trying, but luckily it paid off, and now I have her. Her name is Nyx.”

The raven croaked loudly, making the shopkeep smile. “Oh but well done; there’s plenty of spirit in her!” He said. “I am Boris Starglare.” He introduced himself grandly. “At your service, young miss.”

She raised a brow. ”’Starglare?’” She asked, trying not to laugh at the ridiculous name. “That’s an … unusual name … Mr. Starglare. My name is Katarya Frost. It is a pleasure, Mr. Starglare.” The name near stuck in her throat.

He seemed to sense it, as he laughed merrily. “I know it’s silly; but people expect the wonderful and weird in places like this. ‘Boris Brown’ doesn’t sound so mystical now does it. It is also a pleasure to meet you, Miss Frost.” He cocked his head. “That surname is familiar to me, are you by chance the daughter of a rather illustrious witch I once knew named …”

”Lilian Frost?” She finished for him, smiling. ”I’m her granddaughter. I knew she knew people here, but asking around no one seemed to be able to point me in the direction of anyone whom she might know. How did you know her?”

“Oh just as a casual acquaintance. Old Mistress Vera Heron is a friend of mine, and a good friend to your grandmother, so out passed crossed at time to time.” He smiled as he spoke. “She never had much time for me; I don’t think she approved of my little shop! I think she believed some things were best kept secret. How is Lilian? I was rather fond of her.”

”I’m afraid she passed away last spring,” Kat said, sadly.

The man looked very sympathetic. “My deepest condolences, young miss. Lilian was a rather singular woman! And by the way you hold yourself, I can see a lot of her in you.”

That made her feel good; to be compared to the woman that people liked so much, though she wasn’t so sure, herself. While Lilian had been affable and kind to everyone she met, Kat was known for being ‘hard faced’ and ‘difficult’. ”Thank you,” she said, anyway.

“So!” He said, his smile returning. “What is it that a humble shopkeeper and wizard do for a witch with such an illustrious lineage? Are you in on the prowl for anything specific? Perhaps a book? Maybe a potion or two?”

Kat gave an awkward smile. ”Oh, I’m not stopping; I have a man waiting to take me back to the city,” she said, glancing around her. ”But I will be sure to come back the next time I am in Verdant Row. I’d like to ask you more about my grandmother, but time is short and I must dash.”

He nodded his head. “Of course, and maybe once you have finished with it, you can return the book you have slipped under your cloak?” He gave her amused smile.

Katarya was mortified, and she tried to stutter out a denial, but he held up his hand. “Nothing leaves this shop without me knowing. It’s a small enchantment, but it proves useful against thieves.” He gave her a pointed look. “However, one can not be called a thief, if one is going to return the said item, can one? Take it, but have it back before the end of the month …”

There was no further use of trying to deny it. ”I’m so sorry, sir.” She sighed. “My fortunes have been particularly ill as of late, and it’s turned me into … well, my ethics seemed to have taken a turn.” It was true; with Artemis as a tutor and a little glamour charm, she had learned to slip things into her bag without being noticed. Provided she didn’t get greedy, it usually went okay. ”I will return it, I promise. I may be a thief, I suppose, but I do keep my word. And I will treat it as a rental, and return with both the book and some copper for your understanding.” She was relieved; the last thing she needed was to be in trouble with the local authorities.

Boris Starglare gave her a nod. “I know you will, little witch.”

She had missed the man and her lift back to the city. It was too late to even consider the long journey on foot. Her purse was light, but she might be able to afford a small room in a cheap inn. She pulled out the book she had ‘borrowed’, and smiled as she ran a hand across the words: ‘Magical Familiars’. She couldn’t wait to get stuck in to it! It was worth a few coppers to stay in the town if she could learn more about this particular type of magic.

And so, she made her way off in search of a room to rent for the evening, Nyx on her shoulder and the precious book now in her bag.
Word count: 1643

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"