Research Gone Awry

Home to the wildest breeds of flora, Ninraih's entangled jungles cover southeastern Khy'eras. Ajteire, city of the Fae, is situated in the middle. Here, an overwhelming amount of magic and unexplained phenomenon has materialized. Read more...
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Wizard and Bard

Re: Research Gone Awry

Post by Roridula Lunatus »

Rory had been flipping through her notebook, reading snatches of information she’d jotted down at various times. She didn’t have much on ghosts; most of her notes were related to spells and modifications of their diagrams. This trip was supposed to help her find more about ghosts, so she’d collected some tales and things, but there wasn’t much practical information to be found.

There was one mention of a ghost banishment, of a ghost wreaking havoc in a village - but the banisher had been a light mage of more skill than Rory had, and the ghost was considered dangerous. Mirabelle wasn’t intentionally causing trouble. She was just a lost little girl who missed her family. Rory sighed. Even if she had been able to cast light magic of that level, Mirabelle wasn’t a ‘dark’ spirit.

‘We’ll have to convince her to pass into the realm of the dead somehow,’ Rory realized. Lieven had asked a question; she looked up quickly. “What?” she asked. “It?”

“For Hide and Seek, silly,” Mirabelle answered. “I wanna be It! Maybe - maybe if I’m good at finding you, then I can find - find Momma and Papa.” Her echoey voice trailed off at the end. Rory wasn’t much one for kids, but she felt her heart twist at the little ghost girl’s admission.

“I bet you’re going to find us all super fast,” Rory said, encouragingly. She looked around for a spot and saw the crumbling tower. “Why don’t you stand next to the wall there and count to thirty? That should give us plenty of time.” Rory ventured a glance to her companions, hoping they were okay with how she’d handled it thus far. Leiven just nodded to her.
Word count: 300
Tika
Character
The Tinker
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Fae
Class: Alchemist

Post by Tika »

Tika nodded and waited for Mirabelle to assume her counting position. She wondered if the girl, being slightly transparent, could see out of the back of her head. It would be an interesting cheat for the game. None the less, Tika climbed a tree and hid in its branches, watching both Mirabelle and her companions. Tok came to join her, the flying squirrel taking refuge in the hood of her coat.

Mirabelle counted and then turned about, looking for Tika and her friends. When she didn't immediately spot them she looked dejected. Then she stiffened up, resolve in her eyes. So, this wasn't going to be easy, but she was determined. She began by searching the tower, since it was closest. She looked behind walls and under rocks, trying to find any inkling of Tika, Rory, and Leiven. Tika could hear her talking to herself, which must happen quite a bit out here with no real company.

"No, no," she muttered. "Not there. Not there either. But where? Maybe...aha!" The voice crowed from a place Tika couldn't see. It was obvious that Mirabelle had found one of her teammates. She didn't see which one until they walked out into the open.
Word count: 202
Leiven Loramrai
Character
Doom of the Mountain
Level
26 / 26 HP
16 / 16 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter

Post by Leiven Loramrai »

It wasn’t that Leiven had thought that hide and seek would be a good game for him to play, and he still wondered how easily he’d been drawn into the idea. Maybe the ghost girl was making him open to suggestions with her power, or maybe the day really was that strange. ‘It probably is going to get worse,’ he thought grumpily as he took quick clanking strides across the mostly empty field towards the stone tower.

He felt very foolish and sweaty as he hunkered down behind a collection of fallen stonework. He had a good sense of his size, a long time behind a tower shield guaranteed that. Unfortunately, he did not have a good sense of where to hide a plated dwarf in an open field.

So he lay there, panting softly and watching the ghosts angrily drifting far above. It wasn’t long before he heard the girl, questing about and talking to herself, as children do. He grimaced slightly as a rock poked into his side and resisted the urge to shift about. "No, no," Mirabelle muttered. "Not there. Not there either. But where? Maybe...aha!"

He turned his grimace instantly to an open grin, sitting up and patting his legs. “Ya foun’ me already. Got’ta be a master at this,” he said with a bright laugh, hoping to get her laughing as well. Mirabelle looked confused for a moment and then giggled, pointing at him.

“Silly, I saw your leg!” she exclaimed. Leiven stood, all clanking and creaking, and offered her another broad smile.

“Now, where do ya’ think the others have gone, Little One?” he asked her, motioning out to the open field. “Let’s think together about it aye, nice and loud to make ‘em worry we’re coming?”
Word count: 300
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Wizard and Bard

Post by Roridula Lunatus »

Rory heard Mirabelle as she found the armored dwarf first. Her childish giggle bounced around the clearing as she celebrated. Leiven got up and spoke to her, but Rory couldn’t hear what he said to the little ghost girl.

Rory had sequestered herself inside a thicket of plants with enormous heart-shaped leaves - which had seemed a good idea until she started seeing spiders. Their spindly legs seemed to wave at her angrily. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to chance moving and being found, or if she should intentionally let Mirabelle find her.

Hearing Leiven clanking about the clearing and Mirabelle keeping a running commentary of where she was looking, Rory smiled. The dwarf had seemed so dour before, but he was really trying to get into the little girl’s game. “Ooh, do you think - maybe there?” Mirabelle said loudly. She didn’t sound far from Rory’s hiding spot.

Staying silent, Rory peeked through the leaves to watch the two. She was very close. Suddenly, the largest spider Rory had seen dropped in front of her, waving its legs and - was it gnashing its jaws at her? She tried to suppress a yelp, but the noise combined with her scramble out of the bushes made her too easy a target.

“Found you!” Mirabelle called gleefully. “I knew you were in that bush!” Leiven had been a little away and began to move their direction, armor clanking.

“It wasn’t a bad spot though, was it?” Rory said, giving her a quick smile as she hurriedly brushed off her arms. “A bunch of spiders liked it too and they told me to leave so you couldn’t find them.” Mirabelle gave her a quizzical look. “Really! They waved their arms - or legs - whatever, like they were saying ‘go away’!” Rory waved her arms over her head wildly.

Mirabelle giggled. “You look so silly!”

“They really did do that, promise,” Rory said. “So you only have Tika left to find?” She looked around the clearing, tapping her chin thoughtfully. “I think she said she likes trees. That’s where I’d look.”
Word count: 359
Tika
Character
The Tinker
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Fae
Class: Alchemist

Post by Tika »

Tika watched as the little game played out. Mirabelle finding Leiven first and being so happy was good to hear. Tika felt so bad for the little girl, all alone and dead. She was scared of ghosts and the undead, but the more time they spent with Mirabelle the harder it was to think of her as anything but a lonely child.

Rory came darting out of a large bush and Mirabelle shrieked in delight! The young sorcerer was brushing down her tunic like she had the heebeejeebies. Leiven helped brush her off. Then Tika noticed them plotting, all looking around thoughtfully. Tika had a feeling they were going to gang up on her, and she carefully snuggled deeper into the branches of her chosen hiding place. Tok, who was asleep on her shoulder, didn't appreciate the movement. He took a second to chitter at her before disappearing into his pouch.

"Ingrate," Tika muttered softly. "I'm trying to get you home."

Tika looked out of her tree again and for a second she didn't see the little party. When she spotted them she was dismayed to find them already in the tree line, looking up at all of the branches. She stayed very still, hoping they wouldn't find her but knowing it was inevitable. After all, the game couldn't stop unless they did. But then what would they do? They still hadn't managed to get the girl to realize she was dead. How would they even get to that?

While she was thinking the group had gotten much closer. In fact, they were right below her. Tika froze in place, holding her breath, but it was no use.

"I see her!" The tiny ghost exclaimed. "I see your purple hair! You come down!"

Tim's sighed and began clambering down through the branches. She sat on the lowest one, then flipped upside down and landed on the ground on her feet with a little "Tada!" Mirabelle clapped, delighted. Then she went to climb the tree and try it, but she couldn't seem to get a good grip. While she was struggling Tika murmured to her party members.

"I'm all out of ideas. Anyone have any clue how to make this happen? It's getting really dark now and I'd like to go home before those shamblers come back."
Word count: 386