Late Night Snacks (Some Mature Content)

Loxiel is weary and hungry, but his spirits are lifted by a good meal and a very big surprise!

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Loxiel
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 55c
Race: Fae and Shapeshifter
Class: Rogue

Late Night Snacks (Some Mature Content)

Post by Loxiel »

As the soft glow of the ever present fireflies that danced the city limits, Loxiel’s form shifted from his tufted ear lynx to his regular shape. The young Changeling looked very tired, and he dragged his feet as he moved back after a two day excursion into the jungle.

Luck had been against him during this particular jaunt. He had not had many successful hunts, which was rare; he had normally been able to do alright on what he could catch in either his cat or hawk forms, and fruit could only take you so far. So he had decided to call an early finish (he had planned two more days, at least!) and head back for some real food.

“Oh hush,” he said, as his stomach growled at the prospect of something hot and cooked.

“Who goes there?!” A man’s voice above him called out, in the night.

Loxiel stopped in his tracks. If he continued to shuffle through to the city, there might very well be an arrow on it’s way to him. Instead he waved a hand. “Loxiel, sir! Just back from a hunt.”

With a flutter of wings, the Fae guard cme to hover just above him. “Ah, it’s Inya’s little hawk! You shouldn’t stagger about like that. I thought we might have had a rogue target!”

Loxiel nodded his head in respect. “I apologise. I am just tired and hungry, is all.”

The Fae gave a small grunt. “Exhausted and half-starved, I’d say.” He flicked his head off to the city. “You’ll want to get to your bed as quick as you can, but stop by the food station and the duty cook should be able to help you.” And with that, and the fluttering of blue-tinted wings, the fae flew up and vanished into the darkness.

“I’ll get something that’ll sort you right out,” the chef had said. “And stop apologising. You aren’t the only one who stops by at this hour. And besides, if no one turned up to eat at this time of night, I’d be sat twiddling my thumbs.”

So Loxiel had taken a seat, resting his head on his hands as his eyes threatened to drop shut and he fall asleep right then and there. In fact, his head almost hit the table when he was suddenly given a gentle nudge.

“Beds are much better for sleeping.”

The Changeling blinked, looking up at the man who stood, grinning at him. “Joel!” He said, as if surprised to see him. It shouldn’t have been, since Joel was a recent addition to the militia, so it wouldn’t be such a shock to see the young Human at the cooking station at any time of the day or night. “Joel!” He sat upright and rubbed his eyes. “Sorry, it’s been a long day … and night.”

The handsome man smiled, and propped his spear against the table. “You do look a little beat! Mind if I sit? Chef’s making me up something for my break.”

“Of course,” Loxiel said.

Joel and Loxiel had known each other by sight for a few years, but they had only become properly acquainted the last month or so when Loxiel would join Inya and her militia friends at meal times, which still wasn’t often. Unlike a great many of the city of Ajteire, Loxiel’s lack of magic didn’t seem too much bother the ever affable Joel. Loxiel knew Joel had some magic in him, but he didn’t seem to have any of the bias or disdain for those who didn’t. Loxiel wasn’t even sure what magic the young man did have! Also, maybe the fact that he was Human, a people who were rare in Ajteire, made him more sympathetic towards others: shapeshifters themselves weren’t common.

Joel took a place on the bench right next to Lox, rather than across from him. “It’s a slow night,” he said. “Which is a curse and a blessing. If nothing happens, the shift goes so slow, but the alternative is fighting off the undead and possibly getting killed!”

Loxiel smiled. “It must be rewarding to be a protector of the city!”

Joel laughed. He did that a lot. It seemed he was always smiling and laughing. Though he was usually quite passive, especially around the more ‘forceful’ personalities that made up the city guard, he didn’t mind the teasing and jokes that abound amongst the militia family. “It has its moments! Though I hear you go off into the jungle for days, all by yourself! I think you’re a lot braver than I am.”

That brought a laugh from Loxiel. “Maybe, but trust me, if I see an undead, I make sure I am in the skies and well away before it even notices me!”

Joel grinned. “Best way to go, if you aren’t a fighter!” He turned and picked up his bag, from it he pulled a flask. “Drink?” When Loxiel nodded, he took a swig, then handed it over. “The ability to be able to change into a hawk and fly! Well, that must be quite something!”

Loxiel took a drink from the flask, then immediately coughed. “What is this?!”

“Just a little something to liven up the spirit! But don’t tell anyone, as I’m not really supposed to be doing it on duty. I figured if I did it on break it wouldn’t matter too much if I had a tot.” Joel grinned.

“I’ll take it to my grave,” Loxiel promised, taking a sip of water to get the taste of the strong drink from his mouth. “Being a Changeling is … well, it’s all I know really. I can’t do anything else,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “No shooting fire from my hands, or healing the sick …”

“Well,” Joel said. “I, for one, think it’s impressive. I’m quite envious, actually! I used to dream of being able to fly, and you can do it, quick as you like!” He glanced up. “Dinner’s here!”

Loxiel let out a contented sigh as the warmed dinner of potatoes, roasted pheasant, and delicious gravy sat happily in his stomach. “That was … I forget just how nice it is to have real food, after eating only the stuff I have hunted or foraged for!”

Joel grinned. He had eaten a smaller amount: “Don’t want to be sleepy on the job!” He had said.

Now the two boys sat, sipping on some honey mead, with Loxiel yawning every other minute. “I think I will be off,” He said, stretching his arms, then letting them drop to his side. He ached with tiredness.

Joel chuckled. “I have to get back to my watch. Think of me while you’re lying in your nice warm bed!”

“I will be sure to do that.” Loxiel said, beginning to rise.

“Just one thing,” Joel said, putting his hand on Loxiel’s arm. “I just wanted one thing, if you wouldn’t mind?”

Loxiel shrugged. “Of course.” He said, then his eyes widened as Joel leaned forward and placed a kiss on the young Changeling’s lips, letting it linger for a moment before pulling back.

Though it was more usual that Loxiel blushed, now Joel was doing just that. “I hope I didn’t over-stop my … well I’m sorry if …”

In the heat of it, Loxiel usually a lot shier than he was now, reached out and gently pulled Joel to him, kissing him, this time. And this time, the kiss was longer and deeper. To view this content, you must log in.  ]

“Oi, now!” The voice of the chef cut through the night, and the two boys jumped apart. “This isn’t lover’s row! It’s a feeding station! Take that somewhere else.”

Joel nodded. “Yes, sir.” He looked back to Loxiel. “Well, I best be off, too. Hopefully I will see you very soon?” He smiled as Loxiel nodded his head. “Good night, Hawk.”

That night as Loxiel lay, tired beyond all, and with a belly full of hot food, he didn’t fall asleep as quickly as he thought. Instead, his mind was completely fixated on his kiss with Joel … his first ever kiss! And with a handsome Human like Joel!

Turning over, he smiled to himself as his eyes drooped to a close.

This had turned out to be a good day, after all!
Word count: 1421