[OPEN] A Lamb in Wolf's Clothing

Malcolm the ghost paladin manages to wander into the jungle city, confused and uncertain.

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Shield of the Hall, Knight Protector of House Galewatcher
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c
Race: Ghost
Class: Paladin

Re: [OPEN] A Lamb in Wolf's Clothing

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Janos deflected the jabs and went for a wrist grab that Malcolm broke with a quick tug. Then the wolf-man’s leg shot up and caught him at the underside of his chest. He stumbled backwards, only barely avoiding the blow striking him more solidly.

“Come on then,” he growled, moving his arms out wide to spear the man and take them to the ground. He roared and charged forward, doing his best to hide his knowing grin. He was about to take full advantage of his particular talents.

When Janos tried to go to ground, as the man was clearly eager to do, he’d simply cease to be, either appearing behind him if he dodged the chest spear, or simply letting him hit the dirt if he tried to counter attack.
Word count: 133
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Rogue and Summoner

Post by Janos Killington »

This was it, the moment he was waiting for! The tussle he so desired to have was about to begin!! His knee was just about solid on impact forcing the other back. Now Malcolm had seemed to become enraged at the situation or so one might think from his words. When the spear of a man charged forward he aimed to tumble back and wrap his head in a guillotine choke. An yet he grasped nothing, even as he stepped back with a bracing foot he grabbed nothing. The backward momentum tumbled him backwards onto his arse.

Back rolling he was now on his feet. Janos backed up and smirked lightly letting out a large laugh. This would be a tale for the future. "You're a cheeky bastard I dare say."

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 133
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

“It was a good grab attempt, but you forgot one important thing. Understanding your opponent’s reach,” Malcolm replied with a broad grin as he stretched out his body in a strange and disturbing way. His now seven foot long arms came sweeping in with rapid strikes while his elongated body, nearly fifteen feet tall, remained well out of reach.

The blows weren’t enough to wound, but were decent knocks. He struggled to control his form when he grew this big and so the force dissipated significantly when he struck. He didn’t practice it often, feeling strange about acknowledging he was well and truly no longer the man he’d been. There was something about the thrill of friendly combat though that made him want to show off what he’d spent so long learning.
Word count: 137
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

"Well shit, that's interesting none the less." Janos commented before beginning his own movements. Evasive maneuvers were in order. Every so often he guided the enlarged limb across Malcolm's body aiming to tangle up his movements. Janos's breathing became shallow. He needed a moment to prepare himself.

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 49
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm's strikes became less effective as his limbs kept needing to be shifted back into place from Janos' deflections. With a grunt he released his extended form and snapped back into his more compact stance. It wore on him much faster than he appreciated, but there was a certain pleasure in it. He shook himself as he fully coalesced, the motion didn't help, but he couldn't keep himself from imitating movements ingrained into his memories.

"Well come on then, we've only got so much sunlight," he said with a grin as he flexed his arms out wide, ready to catch an incoming blow.
Word count: 103
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Janos was not sure how long the other wished to tussle, the journey to the entrance was at least half a day away. Closing the gap space between them, when Malcolm was finally ready Janos was already moving. A swift leg sweep was in coming.

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 47
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm felt a wave of exhaustion hit him as Janos rushed forward. The attacking sweep of the leg burst through his near limb with an explosion of mists only to catch his second leg with a muted whump. Malcolm pitched over, grunting in discomfort as he slammed to the ground. He held his hand out to Janos, ceding his defeat and taking deep slow breaths. He still breathed, refusing to release that simple act and truly accept his death.

“It seems I’ve hit my limit, and you gave me quite the fight,” he said slowly getting himself back to his feet. He felt like his muscles should ache and twinge. Instead he simply felt a tugging in all directions. He needed to revert to his spectral form soon and rest. “Esyrax has blessed us with fair battle and I name you victor.” The paladin offered out his hand, though his form wavered and softened and hardened strangely.
Word count: 158
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

As Malcolm went down Janos felt a pang of unease, feeling that he had gone too far he bowed his head. "I'm so sorry!! Are you alright?" Janos instinctively reached out managing to catch Malcolm's hand in its solid state. Yanking swiftly he hoisted the Paladin to his feet and chuckled. "Your God is most generous indeed. I say we have many more bouts to come. I have felt your fists and I feel you are a man with many more tricks. Plus I have much I wish to learn from you if I can. Shall we call this an establishment of friendship?"

It was strange to say in the least, befriending a ghost was uncommon for most. Janos however was not most in the least bit, offering out a fist bump with the right hand in the left he pulled out a small scroll. Opening it he pressed it tovMalcolms chest. The parchment glowed before the other felt restored. "This should do you some good for now. As for my end of the bargain I will show you the way. We can discuss more of our path as we go." Grinning broadly Janos was happy he felt that he had indeed made a friend of pure intent.

Turning round he looked around before taking a deep breath, the shapeshift began to take place on a minor level within his body. Bone snapped as tissue tore forcing growl from his lips before his nose transformed its inner tissue works to match that of the dire wolf. "Alright! Now that that's done, when you are ready we can move out. I do want to hear more about your God Malcolm."

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 281
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm felt a grin split his features at the other man’s eagerness. “Esyrax bestows gifts in the knowledge of strength and prowess being worthy pursuits. For friendship, perhaps, though I cannot promise I bring much until I’ve recovered,” he responded to Janos’ excited declaration.

When the man touched his chest and activated a scroll Malcolm felt a strange pulsing and began to lose his form as his mind shut down for several seconds. “Do not-” he began to shout and halted himself, realizing he’d been about to attack suddenly. “Please do not use magic on me unbidden. It caused my-” he motioned to his reforming body with a deep frown.

“I’ll take it as a well-meaning misstep given my unique condition and gladly accept your offer to exchange words in travel,” Malcolm added, attempting to move past the deeply disturbing event quickly. He let out a sharp whistle and Typhoon coalesced a few steps away munching happily at a large leafed plant. “I will ride, so you might keep track of me while I recover,” he said by way of explanation as he stepped into the stirrup.

“As for my devotion, I am surprised you do not know of Esyrax given their propensity to change forms much as you do. They shift between the powerful resilient bear and wise deft eagle. Inspiring us to fly above our fears and showing that all difficulties can be conquered with strength of body, heart, and mind.” Malcolm slowly expanded and faded into nothingness as he spoke. His voice gained a haunting tone, like someone far away or in a deep bed of water.

The mounted spectre followed beside Janos easily, Typhoon simply phasing through plants and ground alike. After several moments of quiet reflection Malcolm spoke again, “Do tell me first though, what is the year and age? I feel as though I spent much time simply returning to this world.”
Word count: 322
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Perhaps his intent to help was coming across and intrusive. There was a small bow of his head for the intrusive action, offering a small apology the youth smiled lightly. "I do not really seek out the gods, I mostly study through physical studies of science however I have not studied much of the gods. Though I suppose you are right, I shall refer to your knowledge on that aspect." Janos was not one for keeping track of deities perhaps he should do so more often, except his main focus was not that of study but his trade works. "The Year is 288 Aon, what do you remember?"

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 109