[OPEN] A Lamb in Wolf's Clothing

Malcolm the ghost paladin manages to wander into the jungle city, confused and uncertain.

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Shield of the Hall, Knight Protector of House Galewatcher
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c
Race: Ghost
Class: Paladin

Re: [OPEN] A Lamb in Wolf's Clothing

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

“I feel you’re not likely alone young Janos. Many do not have time for the idols or eidolons any longer,” Malcolm said with a shake of his head. “Perhaps they’ve forgotten the wars that got us to this day and age,” he added, reminiscing on his own history lessons. House Galewatcher had nearly been destroyed during the brutal wars of ages past, and so its Knight Protectors were all well versed in the conflicts.

When Janos mentioned the year Malcolm reformed his body just so he could choke and look startled. “Wha- two-eighty- that’s impossible, a near age-” he was unable to complete a thought, the magnitude of his failure and weakness setting upon him with the revelation of the unfathomable stretch of years. It took him several long silent minutes before he felt he could speak again.

“I’ve been… dead, for nearly eighty years. They’re all gone, likely dust and ash. Is there even an estate?” Malcolm seemed to be rambling to himself, muttering and whispering for several long minutes before his head snapped up and his plated fist closed sharply. “They will be restored, those who watch cannot falter,” he shouted, slamming his fist into his chest and raising it to the sky in defiance.

As his shout died in the vast jungle he shook himself and looked to Janos. “Apologies, I have just learned I am remiss in my duties. You said the city is ahead. Please take me as best you can. I will gladly speak with you often, and spar even once I am fully recovered, but I must reach the city. That is the last place I know for certain an associate lived.”
Word count: 284
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Rogue and Summoner

Post by Janos Killington »

Listening to the Paladins words, Janos made a note to study up on the old wars that once ruled over these lands. Something about this city was important to Malcolm and Janos intended to see his duty through to help the man. It was amusing the see the human reaction when it came to an emotional surprise, especially in a ghost who no longer had physical needs.

His raised fist rallied a burning sensation in the youth's chest as his body shifted once more. This time the back of his robe bubbled and shifted into sharp shapes. The bones in his back snapped and popped as tearing flesh and ligaments took over before the clothing shredded at the shoulder blades. Large wings now spread out from his back before he gave them a test flap. The grasses and loose rubble instantly cleared the way as he rose into the air.

"Ride hard." Janos responded as he gave another flap and jetted off forward they had some miles to clear before they did reach the city. The sooner he reached there the sooner Malcolm could do what he was meant to do eighty years ago!

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 196
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm watched the shifter’s transformation with interest. It wasn’t often he’d been able to see the shift so close. They often avoided performing it in immediate danger after all. When Janos took to the air he set his resolve and signalled for Typhoon to press forward hard. The mount snorted and burst into mist, letting the animal and rider glide forward through the dense undergrowth a little more quickly by removing the concern for footing. Despite his increase in speed tracking the flying man was difficult. Even when thick undergrowth wasn’t choking the sunlight the massive trees obstructed the view of the sky more often than not.

The paladin’s sense of time became skewed the longer he spent as a spectre. It was almost as if there was less to anchor him to the world and so he lost a careful knowledge of the passing of hours. He could remember the things he passed, the unique plants, the call of wild animals spooked by his flight, even the rustle of plants he couldn’t quite ignore, they simply all jumbled together in a mess of moments and thoughts.

The only way he truly was able to understand their movement was the impending sense of disorientation and a faint mix of fascination and dread. He finally realized what he was feeling when they neared the outskirts of the more civilized jungle. The fireflies, ancient barrier against the undead hordes, glittered and floated in a dispersed wall. Malcolm resolidified and called for Typhoon to do the same as he drew them to a halt.

“I am… uncertain about this,” he shouted up to Janos, looking warily at the dancing lights and feeling a bone rattling discomfort. “I know of these defenses, and their purpose. I feel strange as I look at them,” Malcolm added, trying to determine if the fear he was feeling was simply the unknown or an indication of true danger.
Word count: 326
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

From thick rough brush to well-maintained grounds housing fireflies for protection from the undead. Would these Fireflies destroy the ghost of Malcolm? He carried no evil intent and while undead, he was no zombie. Drawing his wings to a close the man strolled forth, reaching out a hand he caught a firefly. "I do not believe they will harm you, but there is only one way to find out? You must advance in order to try something new, to edge forward towards your goal."

Grinning broadly he pulled out several more scrolls that could be used to help him maintain formation like before. Yet he would only offer them instead of using them, the discomfort that Malcolm felt earlier would not be thrust upon him again against his will. "Are you ready to face the possible flames to succeed your main mission once more? I will be with you through every step my friend."

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 156
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm looked to the man as he landed, taking the moment’s distraction from his own feeling of roiling dread. When Janos reached out to collect a firefly the paladin almost laughed at the absurdity of it all. “Perhaps you are right,” Malcolm said, locking eyes with one of the delicate ensorcelled bugs and reaching his hand out.

The insect fluttered away for a moment before drifting back and alighting on his outstretched fingers. As the creature touched his form he wavered, the edges of his hand becoming blurred before Malcolm enforced his will. The sensation was strange, like the tingle of limbs returning to wakefulness. Malcolm laughed as he twisted his hand to look at the enchanted creature closer.

“Such delicate things, though powerful given their numbers. Not unlike the enemy they oppose,” he said, grinning and bringing the creature close to his face. There seemed to be a small area of effectiveness that still impacted him. He felt the tingle on his nose before he moved the bug away and pushed his hand outward to encourage flight.

“I am thankful for the willingness to help a lost soul. I believe I will be able to traverse the wall with only discomfort instead of death. Lead on Shifter Janos, if I recall the edges of the city are far from the more populous centers. I am in search of a merchant Fae by the name of Ezequiel Marc Sears, or his descendants. He is most likely to know of any sign of the Galewatcher family.”
Word count: 256
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

His eyes lit up like stars, slitted pupils narrowed to needle threads as he clapped slowly. The noise startled only a few as he watched Malcolm realize where he could go and what he could do within the area. Thankfully this would not kill his newfound companion, discomfort is always better than death. "The Galewatcher Family, I know of them well." Grinning broadly Janos kept his wings in place, giving himself an avian look he dared not transform out in the public now. As Malcolm had observed earlier it was rare that shifters ever changed in the open and that would hold true.

Walking forth he chuckled with glee as he spun around kind of like a kid. There was still a youthful embrace to his ebony features, the glow of the fireflies illuminated his flesh. Reaching into his cloak he pulled forth a rolled up piece of parchment. Unfolding it so it opened up to a rather large 10x10 page he cleared his throat. "Unleash the Thunderdome." As the words were spoken the map pulsed before ink appeared on the fine paper. Mapping out their current area, it illuminated where they stood to the rest of the map. An X marked the spot signifying the best place to find the Galewatcher Family. "The map is not yet complete, I have more studying to do before I can illuminate an area with wildlife and all current people in the area." Laughing he was rather embarrassed at his lack of ability despite his exposure.

After several moments of study, Janos folded the map and whispered; "See you later, Space Cowboy." and the ink began to fade away till it looked like a spare piece of folded parchment. Gesturing forward Janoas began to lead the way once more slowly pointing out new shops or creations that might have happened in the last thirty years.

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 314
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm watched Janos with wary eyes as he flitted from thought to thought. It was not entirely dissimilar to the fireflies, or his memories of the Fae. When the shifter mentioned he knew of the Galewatchers the paladin pushed the wariness to the back of his thoughts. He’d trusted the man this far. He’d wasted close to century simply existing, he could spend a few more hours learning what might have changed if there was even an inkling of the family.

The shifter’s incantations were amusing, but his map was something of wonder. Malcolm barely resisted the urge to simply hover directly next to the unfolded piece. “How is such a thing possible?” he asked, wishing he’d had access to this sort of reconnaissance in his life. “Even simply the lay of the land as you moved would be near priceless to a Knight Protector and you can learn to do more. Truly a wonder,” he added, moving his fingers to follow the lines on the map.

When the map closed Malcolm raised his estimation of the strange shifter. He was clearly more capable than his flightiness would indicate. He’d certainly held his own in combat, and he could summon images of the land as if he were above it. ‘Perhaps this is all the same, and I simply resided in a more sheltered place in the world,’ the paladin thought to himself as he nodded and followed his impromptu tour guide forward.

When they’d entered the city proper the number of people vastly increased. Malcolm attracted many looks, though it seemed his presence was, if not accepted, at least insufficient to draw ire. He found the general lay of the land was vaguely familiar, like the fading of a dream in the dawn, but the shops and people were a shifting riot of color and change.
Word count: 313
Janos Killington
Character
Sovereign
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Janos smiled and waved at the many people, his usual merchant face came to life igniting a buzz around them. It was at this point he started asking questions about the Fae Merchant Sears condition. Whichever Sears now led the Merchant trade he did not know but he would certainly help Malcolm figure out who was in charge. During his own time on the black market, he had heard both names, but that was an avenue he didn't want to go down. Perhaps the original Ezequiel was alive and well just aged like a fine wine.

The crowd bustled with life as various folk from all over began giving him a recent account of the Merchant Fae family. Was the news entirely good? Some of it was other parts of it were irrelevant to Janos but to Malcolm it might mean something different. "The Fae merchant Ezequiel is ill in bed still, but his children are running the merchants shop with ease. They actually moved to a more open space in town. Take the next right and follow it all the way down to a manor with stalls outside of it. That's where you'll find the Sears family." A jolly man clapped Janos on the shoulder and gestured behind him with his thumb. Janos only smiles back clapping his shoulder in turn. "Many thanks to ye."

With some pep in his step he hustled with Malcolm down the next right towards the Fae Merchant.

@Malcolm Rhodes
Word count: 246
Malcolm Rhodes
Event MVP
Level
50 / 50 HP
38 / 38 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 60c

Post by Malcolm Rhodes »

Malcolm stayed a half step behind Janos, enjoying watching the clear energy the man radiated. He seemed to almost talk to everyone in some manner or another. They had even gotten news of the Sears family, and it sounded like the man he knew might still be alive. ‘A strange thing, the lives of Fae,’ he mused as he turned to follow Janos towards where the rather exuberant man had indicated.

Just as he went to fall in behind the shifter he felt a strange pressure, not entirely unlike a powerful sword strike to his armor. He acted out of instinct, releasing his will from maintaining his solid form. There was a soft whump, like the sound of a raging fire sucking the air from a room. Haunting green tendrils of mist burst outward from his chest as his edges blurred to undefined blobs. His head ballooned and lost form, spreading outward into a cloud of darker green smoke. His limbs melted away, pooling on the ground in puddles of rapidly disappearing fog. All of this happened in an instant, as Malcolm appeared to melt and burst at the same time.

Suddenly it ended with the same abruptness it began. The scattered cloud of eerie mist dissipated, and Malcolm hovered unseen and unable to act upon the world. As he floated there, his mind caught up with the events and he replayed the moments of his reflexive escape. Time started to flow back together in his awareness and he let loose a hearty laugh with an odd echo. He’d gone spectral to avoid a possible threat, giving no consideration for the result.

Just after he exploded, there’d been a surprised yelp, a clattering crash, and a groan of lament and mild ache. Malcolm asserted his will and reformed. The entire process seemed to repeat in reverse as fog sprang into being in a rough sphere around him. The final piece of the reformation, the tendrils of mist being sucked greedily back into his chest, appeared particularly horrifying.

Fully solid again the paladin looked down at the young woman who’d collided with him at high speed. “Are you alright Miss?” he asked, offering his hand down to help the Kerasokan girl up. ‘She’s perhaps older than I am. So strange,’ he thought and smiled down at her. The elf girl’s eyes were as wide as saucers, her short fall completely forgotten in the face of a ghost offering his hand. She stuttered something and reluctantly took the limb, flinching slightly at the faint cold of Malcolm’s touch.

“Up we are then. I do hope nothing’s broken,” he said, patting her on the shoulder, drawing another confused flinch, and then reaching down to collect up the scattered pile of what looked to be metal and bone tools.

“Tha-thank you, s-Sir?” the girl said, clearly not entirely sure what was going on, but also falling back to what likely decades of manners. She accepted the collection of tools back and rearranged them into a small pouch before nodding and moving off. Malcolm watched her go with a small smile, waving as she looked back before disappearing into the crowd.

“It seems distraction is still very much alive and well in the young,” he said with a chuckle towards Janos before moving in behind the man again.
Word count: 560