Thyme in the Wilds - Root Camp [Completed]

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Disciples of Balance, Defender of the Woods
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Elemental and Shapeshifter
Class: Druid

Re: Thyme in the Wilds - Root Camp

Post by Harroc Crownegrove »

Finally, a question formed in her mind, something that has been nagging at her since the hunt. "Why didn't we just eat our fill in combat form? Why go to all the trouble just to have some extra food?"

There was a brief flash of annoyance on Harroc's face and Chloe tensed on reflex, ready to be berated and yelled at, for the truth of his offer to be revealed as only a false kindness. She’d encountered several instructors who did the same; offer knowledge, only to become irate and close-lipped as soon as she tried to dig deeper.

“I was taught long ago that the things that make me who I am are left as a shadow when I assume another’s form. The tug of instinct, of drowning in desires and wants, these are the river that chips away at the foundation of who we are,” Harroc said quietly, it was clear much thought had gone into his words and they had been considered many times over before this moment.

“You know it can be difficult to revert when you first begin. What you do not know is that there are creatures whose mere form is powerful enough to overcome your will no matter how long you practice and train.” He smiled wryly, shrugging his shoulders.

“I know one such form, and the pull of its power is a constant needle in my control. To be strong, wild, free of all chains, to be a master of my domain is an insidious call. So I choose to reinforce my own self as often as I can. I am more than the beast forms I adopt, and if I ever forget that I will simply be a shadow.”

He moved to lock eyes with her, ensuring she’d heard his meaning for all its implication and gravity.

“Is that what you meant? When you chose not to take the other form?” Chloe could feel the immensity of his words, of the tendrils of complexity they conveyed even in such a short time. It was not a simple problem with a simple answer. It was a lifelong struggle against an impossible force.

“The great wolf offers power, strength, and absolute dominion. All he asks in return is subservience and fortitude to do what is needed before what is desired,” Harroc parroted, though he nodded solemnly when he finished, clearly agreeing with the words.

“Could- Could I see the form? Are you strong enough right now?” Chloe asked, a strange rush of excitement at being able to examine such a powerful creature willing her to push past the clear rudeness of her request so shortly after the dangers were revealed.

Harroc laughed and took a small bite of meat. When he’d swallowed, he grinned broadly. “Of course, you may explore and investigate to your liking. Though understand, when I return I will be compelled and may become aggressive.”

Chloe thought for a moment, the thrill of seeing a great beast warring with her knowledge that she would be rejected soundly again if things became intimate. ‘Worth the risks, even to glimpse the future I can attain,’ she decided firmly, returning his smile. “I would love to see the form of a great beast, and I am not afraid of you.”

Harroc nodded and rose, moving to the edge of the camp and rolling his shoulders out. He looked back at her and smiled again before leaping forward. The roiling cloud of green smoke that appeared did not dissipate immediately and Chloe began to grow nervous as the moments ticked by.

Suddenly, there was a sense of immense pressure, like the waters of a fall slowing as a mudslide begins. Her eyes went wide in reflexive fear and awe as a figure emerged from the smoke. The wolf was massive, easily as tall as her at the shoulder. Its jaws loomed open like a chasm, riddled with razor sharp teeth and the clear power to crush a tiger with room to spare.

The eyes were what held her though, they carried ancient knowledge, and the promise of doom and desolation should their owner be crossed.

“Wow-” she breathed out, coughing slightly as her lungs emptied of air. “I never- wow.” She rose slowly, the moment of petrification passed as Harroc’s tongue lolled out in a grin and his ears wiggled in amusement and pleasure.

“You’re massive,” she said, laughing as she realized what she’d said. “Can I? Can I feel your fur?” Harroc turned his massive head and licked her face, poking her with his nose before returning to looking forward.

She laughed and scrubbed at her cheek, the warm saliva tickling her. Then she stepped in and put her hand to his side. It sank in, his fur feeling like the softest cloud. Her eyes widened as she sank in past her elbow. “Is there anything actually under all this-” she choked to a halt as she finally reached dense and powerful corded muscle.

She wiggled her fingers, pressing into the unyielding flesh with curiosity. Her arm was near to her shoulder now, and she felt the faint tickle of his fur against her face and neck as she followed the muscles of his back.

“You must run extremely fast like this, and I can feel you radiating power even just standing here relaxed. It is certainly something. I can understand why it would draw you in, like a shining stone at the bottom of a clear lake.” She continued to stroke and caress as she mused aloud. Harroc paintently stood, simply breathing and enjoying the attention.

“I think you can change back now. I’d like to spend some time looking you over again later, but for now I’m a bit overwhelmed,” she said, continuing to idly caress him.
Word count: 975
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc chuffed softly and padded away from Chloe a short distance. He moved to leap and triggered his shift, but something went wrong. Instead of leaping into the air, he simply lifted his body upwards. The shift took hold, shrouding him in dense green-black smoke that roiled like fire. Harroc felt his body curl in on itself, beginning to change form, but without the usual feeling of mental release.

The physical shift completed, his body returning to his natural state, but his mind remained secondary, a shadow behind the instinct and drive of the great wolf. He tried to exert his will, to reclaim his control, but felt like he was working through a puppet without strings. He felt the spike of confusion, anger, and instinctual fear well up as the shift continued beyond its usual swift resolution.

He tried to call out, to warn Chloe of the danger, but all he managed was a choked gasp for air as he collapsed to his hands and knees. The smoke cleared and his body remained on the ground, shaking from the exertion as he desperately tried to assert control. ‘I have spent too much, like a foolish child showing his toys,’ he realized as the confusion of his animal mind began to reinforce his own fears and confusion.

‘Will I be able to restore? Will I kill her in the confusion? What can I do?’ His thoughts began to spiral and splinter, every single idea demanding equal attention as all of his focus remained on the actions of his body. He’d felt this before, long ago, in his first weeks of assuming the powerful form. He’d never been with someone he needed to keep safe then, and the results had always been violent.

This was the cost of the wolf - vigilance in all things or destruction for your arrogance - and now he would have to pay it. He sensed Chloe move near, her hand coming to his shoulder and concern in her voice.

“Harroc, are you-" she began. He snarled, his eyes snapping to her, certain she caused this pain he felt. His body shivered and then exploded into smoke. He twisted and writhed, the wolf demanding to be unleashed as his mind clung desperately to dwindling control.

He emerged, in all his glory and power, and immediately crashed to the ground as his legs gave way. Chloe had leapt back, uncertain of what was happening but now wary and distant. Harroc whimpered, struggling to his feet as the strength of the wolf welled inside him. The weakness fled, nothing before his power.

He turned his massive head towards the woman, clearly the target of his ire. He took a slow confident step forward, baring his fangs and growling his contempt. "You are weak, you challenge me not knowing your death comes," he said as he took another step towards her.

Chloe’s face went pale as she forced her lips into a frown. "I am not afraid of you, though I recognize your power," she said, her voice wavering but growing more confident. She lowered her head fractionally, not looking him in the eyes but not losing sight of him.

“You are not a fool then," the wolf responded, continuing to walk towards her. "You carry yourself with pride, confidence, perhaps a touch of arrogance. These are strong things to wield, though they can easily hide weakness." He moved past her, sniffing and examining her as he took a slow circuit. "What right do you have to stand before me then?”

Chloe stood silently for a moment, uncertain exactly how to handle this situation. It was clear the wolf form was no simple beast, but also that Harroc was not entirely in control. He seemed intelligent enough to reason, and perhaps she could carefully walk the line of animal and sentient deference.

“You are my teacher, the one I chose. You are strong, smart, and willing to face danger at every turn," she said, lifting her chin slightly and carefully not turning to face the massive beast behind her. She could almost hear his heartbeat, the thoughts rolling through his head. He radiated so much power, and she stood here talking with him as if an instructor at home.

The wolf chuckled, letting his tongue loll out in amusement. "You praise me easily, I must say it is pleasant to hear. But how do you know I have chosen you? I have had many students, though the memory is distant it is strong." He snuffled at her hair, slipping out his tongue to lick gently at her neck.

“You told me yourself, when I asked you, and you have taught me many things," Chloe said, shivering slightly at the wet warmth of the wolf’s breath and tongue. "The bond of a student and teacher is a close one. I am not your mate, but no less important," she recited their earlier conversation, hoping the beast before her carried Harroc’s memories and not its own.

The wolf nodded its head slowly, the grin returning as it padded around to stand before her. "I recognize these words, they are my own. You must be an important student, for this form to be offered to you so openly. One he wishes to impress perhaps," the wolf padded past her, moving to the hollow of a tree.

The wolf spun twice before lowering himself down into the curl of the trunk and roots. He let out a great sigh and turned his head to look at Chloe. "Well then, cherished student. Come, rest with me. He will need to recover his strength before I am banished again."

Chloe spun slowly in place, realizing the danger had passed. She felt her cheeks flush as all of her emotions were suddenly let loose. This great wolf knew Harroc enough to say he wanted to impress her. She felt a rush of satisfaction knowing that the druid was interested enough to want her to admire him. Maybe the whole ‘mate’ challenge was a formality he felt he had to observe, rather than a true deterrent.

She snuggled up against the great wolf’s side, sinking deeply into the fur and surrounded by its warmth. The rumble of his breathing was constant and soothing, it felt like she was wrapped in the softest blanket. "Good night," she said softly, and got a gentle rumble in return before she closed her eyes.
Word count: 1079
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc suddenly became aware of his own thoughts. He felt like he was adrift, separated from his body and floating in an endless black. Everything else felt so distant and insubstantial as if he were acting from the depths of a deep pool. He exerted his will, forcing himself to awaken further and experienced bemusement as sensations came back in a strange order.

First the awareness of his breath – flowing in and out of his lungs with slow steady power. Next, the desire to curl his toes – the muscles cold and relaxed from a restful sleep. Then, the feeling of a warmth against his side – comfortable and soothing, a bedside companion deep in slumber. A few more moments, and he felt an itch of his nose – the need to scratch becoming a persistent needling. Finally, his eyes ceded to his commands and slowly fluttered open.

The jungle around them was quiet, almost peacefully still, and he was struck by the wrongness of it. The jungle was never quiet unless there was a predator – he realized with a sudden jerk that he was in great wolf form. The movement caused his sleeping companion to grumble softly and curl deeper into his thick fur, their warm comfort shifting as they settled again. Harroc pushed at his mind, reorienting his understanding as the shadow of his body and exerting his will to examine his memories.

There was a moment of resistance, an almost physical wall against his probing consideration that tried to fight him off. When he overcame the will of the wolf, he felt a release of tension he had not known he was holding before his memories began to trickle across his awareness. They all remained distant, like he was observing them without having truly participated. He sighed softly, comforted by the fact that at least this sensation remained as he expected it to.

He had shifted and been unable to change back, the cost to his control too great. The wolf had gained dominance, if only for a short while. There had been no senseless destruction though – Chloe had earned the beast’s attention and remained steadfast. He had told her things, things Harroc was unsure he wanted Chloe to know, things about how he felt. With a small huff, he decided to store the thoughts for later and refocused on adjusting to his current situation.

Content that he had a grasp on his surroundings, he leaned his large head over and snuffled gently at his sleeping companion. They smelled faintly of lemongrass and he grinned before gently licking their hand. Despite having just reviewed his memories, he was expecting to taste the pleasing tang of his mate. Instead he encountered an entirely new taste that made him pause, Chloe tasted not at all like Colle. The hand curled, and there was a soft gasp of surprise.

He felt Chloe shift deep in his fur and begin to breathe more deeply, clearly coming awake at his prodding. Just as she stretched out her arms, a memory hit Harroc with almost painful clarity. ‘You are mine, I do not share,’ the words of Colle bounced around in his head for several seconds, bringing a strange mix of longing, excitement, and annoyance. He remembered rejecting Chloe, informing her of his own standing, but not truly pushing her away.

He understood he was teasing a dangerous line, one of indulgence and enjoyment that would test him constantly. He also understood that he felt comfortable on that line, gaining more experiences he would not otherwise have and testing his own limits. It was like all other things in his life, a challenge to his conviction, to his commitment. He would not fail his mate, at least not to his understanding.

Satisfied with his decision, Harroc was uncertain what he should do now, he had not slept as a great wolf in some time, and he knew the price he would have to pay would be a steep one. He would be very aggressive when he shifted back, make physical demands upon his student, and push her to indulge his wants. He would need to be clear if she approached the line he had drawn.

“Good-” Chloe began before stifling a yawn. ”-morning. Are you back yet, or am I still the cherished student?” she asked as she rolled over to face him, pressing down his fur with her arm. His large wolf eyes looked directly into hers and saw the teasing playfulness there. He felt desire begin to course through him and could not stop a grin from forcing his tongue to loll out.

“I’ll take that as an excuse to pretend for a bit then,” she said as she rubbed her cheek against his fur. ”You’re so damn soft and warm.” She curled her fingers in his fur, sighing softly into his muscled side. She extended her arms and wrapped them around him more completely. Harroc rumbled in pleasure and contentment, comfortable to remain where he was for the time being.

"Ah, you like being held, that's cute given how big you are,” Chloe said with a soft laugh before slowly wiggling her way towards his head. She moved her hands to his face and began to scratch and rub at his cheeks and jaws with strong but consistent strokes. Harroc rumbled his enjoyment and she became more vigorous, moving her hands in longer and more firm motions.

Harroc began to pant softly, wagging his long tail on reflex as Chloe moved to his neck and ears, scratching, scruffing, and rubbing him in a blissful blend. ”I almost want to call you a good boy, but I think you wouldn’t like that. No, you’re much more than that, you’re a powerful man who just wants to be given more affection.” Suddenly, she stopped scratching him and Harroc whimpered and nuzzled into her hands and face.

Chloe laughed and leaned in to kiss the tip of his nose gently before giving him a final pat. ”We’ve got somewhere to go, don’t we?” she asked him, the soft teasing plain in her voice. Harroc nodded, looking slightly dejected before she batted at him. ”Don’t think you can give me puppy dog eyes, I know how they work too! Maybe one day I can have a form like this and we can run and…” her voice trailed off and she blushed fiercely before scrambling to her feet. ”I’ll start breakfast warming.”
Word count: 1084
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc remained firmly rooted to the ground, lowering his head and sighing softly as he settled back in to comfortable half curl. There wasn’t much to pack or even do before they headed out, simply eat, refill water, and start on the trail. He idly watched Chloe organizing the dried meat bundles into a more compact bunch before pulling out two small batches and placing them over a miniscule fire. She was industrious, focused, and clearly had paid good attention to her instructors.

Her fire starting was impressive given it was done entirely with available materials. It made Harroc wonder if he relied too heavily on his rituals for simple actions. Starting a fire for him was as simple as willing it to happen and indicating a flammable object with his palm. He recalled the rigorous lessons before with a sharp clarity that surprised him. He and the other initiates had spent years perfecting fire making with and without tools before they were finally taught the simple ritual.

It had seemed so strange then, to go from an involved and precise task to the casual extension of your will. He remembered many of the initiates continued to start their fires manually for weeks afterwards. Eventually though, all surrendered to the convenience and ease of simply using their magic. Harroc wondered if there was supposed to be a lesson in this shift, or if it was simply something the Circle accepted as necessary to face greater challenges.

Chloe looked up from her work as the scent of meat began to fill the small clearing. She noticed Harroc curled up intently staring at her and offered him a broad smile. “Are you going to just lay there all day? Was it truly that exhausting?” she asked him with a soft laugh and a shake of her head.

Harroc huffed and thumped his tail several times, showing plainly how he felt about this interrogation. “Wait, is this part of the consequences? You don’t want to change back because of… bleed through,” her voice faded out as she realized the full implications of what she’d said. She looked thoughtful for several quiet moments, the scent of meat slowly growing stronger.

“I never felt that when I learned my forms beyond the first shift. I know a lot of shifters do, but I didn’t exactly have a lot of willing teachers. Most of the shifters don’t come back often, they stay out on long trips and only return to gather supplies.”

Harroc raised his head and slowly titled it back and forth, swiveling his ears forward to show intense interest. “You come back all the time, teach people, it was part of what made me want to meet you. I don’t think I could live in the wilds all the time, don’t get me wrong, I can tough it out just as well as any of the others, but I enjoy my comforts if I can have them.” Chloe shrugged and offered Harroc another smile. “I think you can understand that, lazy wolf.”

Harroc let his tongue loll out, barking softly and shaking his shaggy head. “Right, so if you’re worried about bleed through that means you think you’ll attack me or…” Chloe blushed suddenly and her eyes widened. “Mate- yeah I could see why that would be trouble if I wasn’t expecting it.”

She gave herself a quick shake and locked eyes with him. “It should be okay, you made it clear there’s a line and to get past it I have to win a challenge. You don’t have to worry, I’m not giving up someone with so much to teach over something like a quick fuck – even if I know it’d be a lot of fun.” She winked at him and turned to deal with the meat that was just beginning to cook again.
Word count: 655
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc shook his head and wiggled his ears in amusement before slowly rising to his feet. He began to pad towards Chloe, leaping mid stride and shifting to his natural form as he went. He got a whole step completed before the wave of instinct hit him like a stampede crashing through the undergrowth. He jerked to a halt and sucked in a deep breath, letting it out with a bone resounding shudder.

He felt like his entire body wanted to curl in on itself, as if a shift was being forced upon him. There was a tightness in his chest and he had to gulp air in as his emotions heightened to almost painful levels. ‘Feast, devour, consume,’ the need bounced around his thoughts unbidden like an unrelenting chant.

His eyes snapped to the cooking meats, watching the strips of delicious food intently as they continued to sizzle softly. He felt his mouth fill with anticipatory drool, the thought of the meat on his tongue, him ripping and tearing it with his teeth, made him groan in excitement.

Then Chloe moved and began collecting the meat off the cooking rock and moving them to a broad leaf. His attention snapped to her, and a small part of his mind attempted to refocus away. Instead, he felt the same desires - to have her in his mouth, to bite and mark her, to devour - in an overwhelming rush of adrenaline.

Harroc growled, curling and uncurling his fingers as his eyes went wide with anticipation. Chloe turned to look over her shoulder, her attention caught by the intensity of the sound. She offered him a grin and motioned to the food.

"I'm ready when you are, but you should probably eat first. You had a rough night," she laughed softly and held out the leaf towards him. Harroc strode towards her, staring intently at her neck as he knelt down and collected his portion of the meat. He ate slowly, not taking his eyes off her except to close them in short moments of indulgent pleasure as he chewed the meat.

When he ran out of food he shifted all of his focus to her, his body tensing over and over with the need for action. Chloe finished her own breakfast and looked over at him, a small smirk playing across her lips.

"Well, come on then, eat me," she said, taking an exaggerated bite of the air. Harroc growled softly, and lunged forward, taking them both to the moss covered ground with his chest. He planted his arms to her sides, looking down at her with a pleased grin on his face.

Harroc forced his mouth against hers, diving eagerly for the taste of her tongue as she opened her mouth. She was warm and delicious and everything he wanted to taste. He chased her tongue, twisting and twinning as he growled softly into her. Then he pulled back, enjoying the flush flooding her neck and cheeks as she took short gasps of breath. He grinned and leaned down again, using his chin to push her cheek and sink his teeth into the side of her neck.

Chloe gasped and arched against him, her fingers curling into his armor as she writhed in surprise and pleasure. He peppered her neck with bites, varying his strength and depth while he worked in kisses and licks to taste her skin. When he finally moved away she looked somewhat dazed, panting beneath him. Harroc growled and looked down at her.

Suddenly he froze, his entire body tensing before a soft hiss of breath escaped him as though he were in pain. Chloe looked up at him, confusion plain on her face, as Harroc reasserted his will against the instincts of the Great Wolf. He shuddered and twitched for a moment before frowning and moving to climb off her.

"I am sorry I took out my aggression on you," Harroc said, carefully backing away from Chloe as he regained his full control. He looked away from her, appearing to search for his pack. Chloe lay on the ground taking slow breaths with her eyes closed.

"Nothing to apologize for,” she managed, as she finally rose to her elbows. “I would've stopped you if I wasn't enjoying it." She sat up and stretched her arms above her head with a pleased smirk. “Now I know what I’m in for when I offer the challenge.” She reached a hand up to caress the bright pink marks all along her neck and broke into a full grin.

Harroc blushed and refused to look at her, shouldering his pack. "We need to go. We have a long distance to travel today." He scanned the area around them, picking out paths they could take. "We need to be close enough to observe the river, but not so close that the ground became unstable and unsafe for running."

Chloe doused the fire and slung her own pack on her back, wiggling as she adjusted its lay on her shoulders. "Well then, lead on, instructor," she said with a hint of teasing in her voice.
Word count: 856
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

As they settled into the easy jog along the path, she chanced a question, "The great wolf form, is it always so - taxing on you? It seemed like you really had to fight to be yourself again."

Harroc remained silent for a moment and Chloe began to wonder if she’d teased him too much. "It always extracts a cost, though it is usually significantly less," he finally replied, his voice thoughtful as if he was still examining the memories. "I failed to account for the essence I gave my mate."

Chloe snapped her head to look at him, stumbling slightly on the trail. "Wait, you can give your essence to someone? But isn't it like your blood?"

"Yes." Harroc looked over at her and grinned before facing the river for a few strides. "You will probably see in a few hours, unless you have been particularly diligent in your training."

She scoffed at his words, making sure to keep an eye to the rolling trail this time. "I always take my training seriously." Harroc smiled benignly and kept jogging.

The light had begun to slant across their path as the sun climbed toward midday when Chloe spoke up again. "Besides anything messing with the flow of the river, what are we looking for?"

Harroc motioned to the flow of the water to their side. "I call them river elk. You see a creature that appears to be made of the river, let me know. The males are aggressive, but the females seem to simply be focused on the cycle," he said, frowning as he recalled his first encounter with a male.

"Does the river's guardian make them?" Chloe asked curiously.

"I think so. I am not sure as I have never seen their guardian in person. I have encountered several elk and they are often near obstructions or fertile ponds." Harroc's face grew serious. "The males, they are not part of the cycle - they do not fear and their aggression is problematic - we may be able to disperse them by fixing any block we come across, but I have not had a chance to truly test this."

Chloe went silent for a while, considering the idea of him sharing essence and the dangers of unfeeling aggressive creatures. "Wait, how many of these elk have you fought so far?" she lost sight of him as their trail ran over a small gulley.

"I have killed four so far, and dispersed another three. The river was particularly damaged following a series of severe storms,” Harroc replied when she crested the hill.

Chloe remembered the storms, only the edge of them had reached the city, but there had still been damage from wind and lightning fires. "And you cleared it all alone?" she asked, clearly impressed.

"Not entirely, the rangers handled several of the blocks closer to the city. Difficult to find people with the time and willingness to come out this far for the more complicated ones. Despite how calm it can seem, we are being watched by several predators." Harroc slowed as he came down the far side of the gulley.

"I thought I felt something. How do you know how many there are?" She glanced around as she came to stand beside him.

"I sense them with my essence, a weaker version of what I performed before we passed the vines. With training and experience I have learned to count the number and movements of predators with a rough precision." He shrugged and pointed to a nearby hollow that made an enclosure overlooking the river. "We will rest here, you will become injured if we continue at the needed pace."

"I'm fine-" Chloe began grumpily before she stumbled on an exposed root resting in the dense ground cover. She glared at the offending plant and shook her head. "Okay then, you're clearly leaning on experience. Do you have to bleed into my mouth or something to share essence?"

"Not quite, though it does require your cooperation and will leave me momentarily defenseless. I trust you to protect me and be wary," he said with a grin.

Chloe raised her eyebrows. "Okay - so how does this work?" she asked as she followed Harroc’s lead and dropped her pack in the small clearing. The druid remained silent for several minutes as he moved around the area and listened and watched. Finally he turned to her and offered a nod.

“The area is clear enough now, our defensive position has made them wary, or perhaps they discovered easier prey,” he offered before motioning to a fallen log. “Sit here, you may not be able to remain standing, but your senses will be heightened for a short time."

Chloe frowned in thought but sat were he indicated. “Like when you cast the spell earlier? Everything felt amazing, not too different from when you were on top of me now that I think about it.”

Harroc opened his mouth to reply before closing it and nodding silently. He raised a hand towards her face and his other hovered over her leg. “May I?”

“Of course, ignore any sounds I-” Chloe’s eyes went wide as Harroc’s fingers curled around her. It felt like a bolt of lightning had gone through her from her cheek to her thigh. Then, before the sensation faded, a deep and warm calmness spread through her. She could feel her muscles relaxing, her aches fading into nothing. She groaned, her body shivering slightly with pleasure.

“I will begin to reinforce now, you will become more aware,” Harroc said softly by her ear, the sound made her flinch at it’s suddenness. The warmth spread, slowly becoming cool and refreshing instead. She felt like she’d taken the best bath and nap of her life.

Chloe blinked and then gasped and opened and closed her eyes rapidly for several seconds. She could see so many colors, feel the faintest shift of the air, hear the beating wings of an insect on the river. It was as if hundreds of new layers of awareness were there, waiting for her to focus on them.

Not sensing anything dangerou nearby, she turned her attention to Harroc. Every twitch and tug of his fingers, the resounding thrum of his heart, the deep rumble of his focused breathing. She had never felt something so unnecessarily intimate. She wanted to feel this while he was inside of her.

Then it was all gone, her heightened awareness faded and she sighed, regretting the loss. “That felt amazing, I need you to kiss me next time,” she said, grinning at him as he remained very close, intently observing something past her skin.

He chuckled and lifted his hands before bumping his head against her own. “You get ahead of yourself,” he said softly. Then he rose, offering her a hand up. “When you can run with me the entire day, then perhaps you will have earned such a thing.” Harroc stepped over and shouldered his pack, stretching as she did the same.

“That doesn’t seem fair, doubt your mate can keep up even this far,” Chloe pouted as she settled her bag.

“True, though they offer other shows of skill and talent,” Harroc countered, motioning for Chloe to precede him. “Lead us, you have a sense of finding the path. When we grow close to our destination, I will call for us to stop. We do not want to risk entering the wellspring without being fully rested.” Chloe nodded, examined the path, and set off at a slow jog.
Word count: 1267
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Chloe spent the first half of their continued travel marvelling at the sense of comfort and energy Harroc had given her as she guided them through the rolling jungle. When she strayed too near or far from the river Harroc would let out a birdsong or simply say ‘Correct’ just loud enough for her to hear.

She was beginning to wonder how he ever ran out of energy when she took the final step over a small ledge and felt her entire body go numb for a moment. Her foot landed, wobbling slightly before a shiver went through her entire body. Suddenly, all the energy she thought she had evaporated and the day’s exertions came due all at once.

Chloe groaned as her muscles cramped and she stumbled forward, careening down the small slope towards a flat clearing. Harroc dashed up beside her and took hold of her side, leaning down to slip under her arm and support her as her momentum ran out. When they finally came to an uncoordinated stop, she leaned over and gasped for breath, pulling in sharp lungfuls of air.

"You will learn to sense the coming loss more accurately with time if we continue training together. It can feel much worse than it actually is, the body enjoys a rhythm, and the missing of a beat is exaggerated severely for its oddness." Harroc gave her back several pats and grinned. "When you have finished gasping, you should recover over the next few minutes. For me it is perhaps a breath needed to readjust."

Chloe turned her head just enough to glare up at him through watering eyes as her lungs finally stopped demanding several hours worth of air all at once. "You- could- have- warned-" she coughed, spitting some to clear her mouth.

"That would not have been nearly as fun, and I get few opportunities to show others what the sudden shift feels like. I can give you that same amount of energy another four, perhaps five, times before I am unable to keep up." Harroc started to slowly stretch out his legs.

Chloe’s eyes widened and she stared at him in wonder as the full meaning of his words settled in. "Wait, so you can run for literally days at this pace?" she stood and wiped her brow, flicking the ever-present sweat aside. "How much do you eat to even do that? I mean I guess it explains the abs and legs, but fuck- that’s crazy."

"I am made of essence, and can draw it from the ground and plants as I move. This far out, it overflows waiting to be put to a purpose," Harroc offered back, motioning to their surroundings with a sweeping gesture.

"So, how in the Seven Graces of Ixaziel does that Fae keep up when you two go at it?" Chloe asked, a wicked smirk settling on her face.

Harroc laughed and winked at her. "I believe they would say ‘That is for my mate and I to know, and for you to wonder.’" Harroc cracked his neck and glanced around. "We can walk the remaining distance, it will take perhaps an hour. Feel free to gather food for dinner as we move, we will be able to have a fire as I doubt larger predators have returned this close to the wellspring."
Word count: 559
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Chloe pointed out several plants and gathered small bundles of each as they walked. By the time they had reached a suitable endpoint for the day, she had a veritable medley of vegetables, seasonings, and even sufficient herbs to brew a tea. Harroc moved ahead of her, searching their destination intently while she waited with her pile of plants. When he finished his search, Harroc moved to the side of the clearing and raised a small stone table from the ground for her to clean and prepare her ingredients.

“Thanks, this’ll make getting all this ready a lot easier,” Chloe said as she set out her piles of gathered plants. “How do you do that by the way? I’ve never seen anything like it.” She began to group the plants, dividing them by type and purpose.

Harroc shrugged, running his fingers over the smooth surface. “I have learned over time that my essence can speak to and control the stone and plants. A year ago, I would have been forced to waste essence to even make an edge on a stone. I have practiced extensively, and now find I can work slowly to have the natural essence around me perform the work.”

“You’re literally telling the ground to change itself, and it listens- wow,” Chloe said with a shake of her head. “I think I’d like to know more about that some day.” She turned her attention to the sorted piles. “If you think we can manage a lasting low fire I’ll make us a nice stew, it should be ready before the sun sets. I can even make some tea and then ask you more questions in the meantime.”

Harroc nodded and offered her a smile as he settled in to watch her work. “That can be done. Worst comes, I sink this down and scare off what comes,” he said motioning at the ground. “I have not had much chance to learn cooking beyond simple things like roasting meat.” He shifted several times, getting comfortable beside her. “I am also intrigued by your offer of tea. All of the kinds I have tasted so far have been wonderful. It has become one of my favorite indulgences.”

“Ah, something I can teach you. I am beginning to think those may be more common than I expected. And a favorite indulgence? If I work hard maybe I can join that list,” Chloe said with a laugh as she stripped a dense looking plant’s leaves. “These work like potatoes or turnips, but they have a much sharper and nuttier flavor.”

She set aside the stripped root vegetable and finished two more of the same sort before moving on. “We’ll need to cut the outer skin off, it gets particularly tough and isn’t actually very nutritious,” she said, frowning at the memory of her first encounter with the plant.

She moved on to another root plant gathered together in a bundle. They were a medley of muted colors, from purple to faint orange. “These are wild carrots, nothing surprising but you have to be extremely careful you’re not getting poison-hemlock instead.” She held up the top of one of the plants. “If the stems are hairless and smell of mouse, you’re dealing with something poisonous.”

She stripped the stems and set the carrots aside. “Also need to be peeled, though. Can you do that?” Harroc nodded and pulled a stone from the earth, sharpening it with his essence. He set to work carefully peeling the vegetables, showing Chloe his work for approval as he finished the first one. “We can probably chop up some of the meat to really add some extra to the stew. These herbs should all give it a depth of flavor you won’t find with the domesticated or dried stuff in the city,” Chloe said as she moved over to the collection of stalks, stems, and leaves while he worked.

She worked at removing woody stems, splitting leaves, and bundling the herbs. Harroc began to hum birdsong softly as he worked, and before long Chloe joined in as she recognized each part. Before long they had a pile of scrap shavings, several different bundles of herbs, and a collection of somewhat lumpy root vegetables and cooked meat chunks.

“Can you make me a sort of tall pot, maybe this high and this wide?” Chloe asked, using her hand to indicate her desired dimensions. Harroc thought for a moment and placed his palm on the ground, concentrating before lifting his hand slowly. A few inches below his hand a stone ring slowly surfaced and flowed upward. After several minutes, he had a reasonably size and thin stone stew pot.

Chloe carefully picked up the pot, getting a feel for its weight and shape. “And you can just do this, without burning any energy?” she asked, a clear hint of wonder in her voice.

“Not quite, that level of control took a measure of power that I cannot quickly recover. It leaves an- echo of sorts that refuses to be replenished,” Harroc said, pointing to a spot on his left arm. “The table is simple, just lifting without sculpting. I believe with more experience and knowledge I could increase my speed and reduce the cost, perhaps to only ambient essence.”

“So it has a shadow kind of, how did you learn all this? Do you have a teacher?” Chloe asked looking intently over the stone pot for weaknesses or oddities.

“Slow and painful experimentation,” Harroc said with a wry smile. “It is not an unusual experience for me. Though it is one I hope to help others avoid. It is why I was happy to accept you as a trainee - you are a shifter, and show a talent for the wilds - both are skills I have a good deal of practice with.”

“When we get back, and I can practice all I want, I’m going to force you to tell me all the little secrets of shifting,” Chloe said, looking towards the river with her pot. “Any trouble going over and getting some water?”

Harroc shook his head and laughed softly. “Don’t fall in, but otherwise this close to the wellspring it should be pure and vibrant.” Chloe turned her attention to carefully moving down close to the water. She balanced herself on the bank and a larger rock for several seconds before lowering the pot into the water with the opening down stream. With a slow dip, she filled the pot with enough water and lifted it back out.

She turned and grinned at Harroc before taking a large step back up onto the bank and walking over to the stone table. “One stew pot ready for ingredients,” she declared as she settled the container down and waited for the sloshing water to still. “Can you make a teapot while I get this ready? I think you’ll like this particular blend.”

Harroc nodded and placed his hand on the earth, concentrating and pulling a small vessel from the earth. When it was about the right size he furrowed his brow and slowly closed the top to form a pouring edge. Beside him, Chloe filled the stew pot, taking care to intersperse the different vegetables and meats with several of the herb bundles.

“There we go, now a fire and we make the tea,” she said as a final carrot was tossed into the pot with a satisfying plop. “Do you want me to make the fire or?” she asked, looking over to Harroc who was finishing his teapot.

“I can if you give me just a moment more- ah there,” he breathed out softly, as if he’d just run a short sprint uphill. “This should work well enough for you, I will make the fire in the table.” He moved nearby to grab several dense stalks of drying bush. With sharp movements he snapped the stalks and formed them into a rough series of shrinking circles.

When he was satisfied with the collection, he placed his palm on the table and seemed to push downward. The surface bowed in, curving to form a shallow depression with several evenly spaced teeth extending above it. Harroc arranged his stalks into the depression and touched his focus, projecting a flicker of power into the plants.

They immediately ignited, beginning to crackle and shrink under a growing flame. He carefully lifted the stew pot and settled it onto the stone teeth, leaning down to check there was room for the fire to breath and take more fuel. “Does it need a particular temperature? This will burn hot for a short while and then keep a slow even burn for much longer.”

“That should be fine,” Chloe said, returning with a filled teapot and offering it to him. “Can you do the same thing with this? Hotter is better, want it to be just before boiling and I can take care of it from there.” Harroc nodded and repeated his effort with a smaller bundle of bush stalks and soon the soft sounds of crackling fire were the only intrusion upon the jungles natural noise.
Word count: 1538
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

As the water began to boil, Chloe took a small cloth bag from her pack. She rolled it in her hands, checking the tie at the neck and letting some of the aroma seep out. Dropping the bag into the teapot, she pulled the pot off the fire. "That needs to steep for now," she said, gently poking the bag with a twig to force it to submerge. She gave him a quick smile and leaned back to wait.

Harroc breathed in the steam rising from the teapot. "What do you use in your tea? It smells faintly familiar," he commented as he continued to absorb the scent.

“Probably the peppermint leaf you’re smelling. It’s common in many teas." Chloe motioned to a small pile of leaves on the edge of the table. "You can just eat it too, but the flavor is really strong."

“Yes, my mate smells of spearmint, the same tingle is there," Harroc replied, closing his eyes with a pleased smile.

“There’s also raspberry, nettle, oatstraw, and alfalfa. The blend should have a sharpness to it with a smooth and intricate flavor and aftertaste. I hope you enjoy it," Chloe said, not speaking to the Fae’s smell.

“I look forward to it." Harroc opened his eyes and turned his attention to Chloe. "Do you have any questions for me then?"

Chloe adopted a thoughtful expression, tapping at her lip slowly for several silent seconds before smirking and tilting her head. "I think I do. Were you looking at my ass when we were hunting?"

He laughed, the sound rich and warm, shook his body with small tremors. "I was. You are graceful and strong. Your chosen forms are much the same." Harroc looked slightly concerned for a moment. "Should I not have been? You seemed to appreciate the attention."

“Oh no, you’re always welcome to stare. I’d offer to let you do more, but well- you know." Chloe shifted herself, feeling a thrill of amusement as Harroc’s eyes clearly followed her. "So, if I said your body is also enticing, would you hold it against me?" She had to work hard not to cover her face. ‘That line was so lame and yet it feels like the kind of thing he’ll respond to’, she thought as her fingers twitched and a blush crept into her cheeks.

Harroc looked confused for a moment, the gears in his head clearly grinding over the words several times before he grinned. "I think I could do that," he finally said, not moving from his spot, though he did relax more.

Chloe rolled her eyes , realizing she’d been right but hadn’t accounted for Harroc simply leaning on his own position. "Your own forms are all so powerful," she said as she rose from her knees and started to walk towards him. "Even the jaguar, powerful, confident, it draws me in with a sureness that he deserves to have- me." Her voice dropped to a whisper at the last word and she stared down at Harroc with half-lidded eyes.

Harroc rumbled softly as his eyes moved up Chloe’s form. His own glittered and shifted with excitement and he resisted the urge to pull her down atop him. ‘She enjoys being in this position, being hunted and knowing it. I wonder if Colle is so different in that way,’ he mused silently.

Chloe knelt down in front of him, her folded legs just touching Harroc’s own. "So, I think I’m going to let you hold me, and I’m going to enjoy it as much as I can while the tea builds its flavor. Then I’m going to enjoy the sounds you make as you drink it," Chloe said confidently, certain she had Harroc’s measure now and looking to enjoy what she could to the fullest.

Harroc nodded fractionally, his eyes not moving from her own. She grinned and slid forward, wrapping her arms around him and squeezing tightly before using her weight to push them to the ground. Harroc didn’t tense or resist, moving his own hands to encircle her as she lay against him.

Chloe sighed as she felt the warmth of Harroc’s skin even through her armor. "You’re always so warm, it’s like being able to feel how excited you are." She wiggled her way into a more comfortable position, her thin armor and his own creaking softly at the shift. "I’m going to enjoy having you against me tonight, when you’ve had your fill," she said, letting the several meanings of the words hang in the air.

“I am excited to taste the tea and stew as well," Harroc replied as he lowered an arm to wrap her waist. He moved his other hand to slowly stroke her hair, remembering the feeling always calmed him. She pressed into his hand faintly, making soft sounds of pleasure as his long fingers caressed her scalp.

“Don’t stop doing that," she said into his shoulder. Harroc grinned and continued his work, moving his fingers in slow circles, taking time to enjoy the silkiness of her hair against his skin.

“How long will the tea take?" he asked softly, curling his fingers on her back.

“Hmm, maybe another two complete circuits. That warmth is so nice, I need you to give me a massage. Just melt all the worries away." Harroc continued his work with his fingers, taking care to keep the same speed as he went.

When he completed the second complete circle Chloe groaned in annoyance and shifted her arms to slowly lift herself up. She stopped half-lifted and leaned down to give Harroc a slow and firm kiss. "Tea time," she said with a soft smile as she pulled back and finished standing. Harroc rumbled in protest but his feelings quickly changed to excitement as he prepared to enjoy a new tea.
Word count: 994
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

“Fetch some cups from my pack?" Chloe said over her shoulder as she grabbed several broad leaves to act as mitts for picking up the stone vessel. Curls of steam drifted from the tea and carried the strong scent of raspberry and peppermint. Harroc moved to the packs and looked through her bag for a moment before removing two smooth wood cups. He brought them back to the table and settled in beside the stone, bouncing faintly in excitement.

“Thanks," Chloe said as she placed the teapot down and sat next to him. "Give it a minute to rest and then I’ll pour us some." She leaned over and put her head on his shoulder. "When we get back, think you could teach me those exercises for shifting?" she asked quietly.

“Of course," Harroc said, his eyes closed as he enjoyed the smells coming from the steaming drink. He moved his arm out to wrap around her waist again. "Colle might find them helpful too. They are good for any sort of magic or concentration."

“You always talk about the Fae. Why can’t you just be here with me for a while?" Chloe asked, the tinge of- frustration clear in her voice.

“They are my mate, they are important to me. You have not issued a challenge yet," Harroc responded, squeezing her close to him. Chloe sighed and lifted her head, moving to her knees to handle the tea. She poured them both a full cup, carefully measuring out the liquid before returning the pot to the table.

“Here, perhaps it will take your mind off other things for a while," she said with a wry smile as she handed a cup to him. Harroc took the cup and lifted it close to his lips, taking in a long slow breath.

His first thought was of Mara, her ritualistic making and drinking of tea something much more refined. His second was for Colle, their eagerness to expose him to different blends and intensities a deeply endearing thing. Even more so when he discovered it was part of a ploy to lure his attention to them.

The drink smelled even more strongly of mint and raspberry when it had no time to disperse. The scent was not overwhelming, but it certainly hid any subtler ingredients easily. Harroc took a tentative sip, letting the hot tea linger on his tongue for a moment before swallowing.

The flavor of mint was immediate and strong, but quickly faded to a sweet tang of raspberry and ended with a smooth and persistent taste of something he couldn’t identify. He rumbled in appreciation, enjoying how the taste remained and pushed away the almost oppressive mint. He took a second larger drink and allowed the tea to rest in his mouth much longer.

“It is very good, but very different from what I have had before," he said softly, looking from his cup to Chloe who was leaning in extremely close to him with an eager grin on her face.

“And-" she said, leaning in to kiss his neck before moving back slightly. Harroc chuckled and lifted his cup for another drink before answering.

“I like it, the mint and berry are sharp and refreshing. What is the flavor beneath? It tastes cleansing, but lingers much longer than I expect." Chloe looked extremely pleased with herself as she turned herself around to lay against Harroc’s side.

“It is nettle, oatstraw leaf, and alfalfa leaf. All three are have a muted effect, but when together they counteract many stronger tastes and linger," she offered before taking a drink of her own. "When you have your second cup, the flavor changes a lot when it’s cooler. You can even have it cold, but the mint will be very strong."

“You have surprised me with your knowledge and impressed me with your skill. Well done, Chloe," Harroc said softly, placing a hand on her cheek and caressing slowly. "You truly should speak to my mate when we return. They have much knowledge you might find useful."

Chloe sighed, pressing into his hand and enjoying the pulsing warmth. "Fine- but only because you think so." She settled herself and enjoyed another sip of tea. "I wasn’t kidding about that massage, but I think I’d rather wait until we’re back safe."
Word count: 727