[PROMPT] The Chronicles and Times of Kevin the Elf

An Ongoing Writing Prompt for all Users

Not all adventures will take occur in charted cities or the main land. Neighboring Khy'eras are islands and mist-filled oceans begging to be explored, should a person be brave enough.
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Wizard

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

The following thread is designed as a writing prompt and mental exercise. The goal is to make a simple post in one of the following formats to extend the mythos of Kevin:
  • A first hand account from a friend of Kevin's describing a life experience that has shaped him
  • A second hand folk tale of Kevin's (mis)deeds that furthers the general theme of Kevin's life
  • Simple facts about Kevin not already explored or expansions of existing facts
To keep the idea flowing and avoid making the task unreasonable please only post here at most once a month per writer (not character).
Strive for your posts to be short (less than 300 words) and convey one fact, facet, or function. The goal is to practice conveying a facet or foible from an outside perspective while expanding a mythos. You're welcome to write a scene with Kevin and your own character, but it should be from the perspective of a viewer not Kevin or your character to preserve the purpose of the prompt.

Notes:
The scenes need not be consecutive with prior ones.
The core focus here is conveying something about the person rather than the place, though using a place to convey is 100% acceptable.

Immutable Facts about Kevin:
  • Kevin is an Elf
  • He was born in Felsgrad
  • He works as a tailor
  • He likes nice trees
  • He grew up in a rough area, and his mother was an immigrant
  • He is known as 'Kev' to his friends and 'Kevopolis' to 'the ladies'
Topic Notes: I will be attempting to gather a summary of the month's tales as little tidbits, this will be posted in line within the first week of each new month. Feel free to post the next response after this post to abide by the once-a-month rule.

Expanded Mythos
  • He is a skilled and effective tailor
  • He consorts with all manner of people regardless of class
  • He is 'considerate' to the ladies
  • He keeps sketchbooks and is talented at recreating natural flora
  • He has an understanding of current fashion
  • He sketches ladies as well as trees
  • He tends to work with upper class clientele
  • He tends to misuse his funds, and owes suppliers for delivered goods
  • He's got more horns than all the armies in Tviyr.
Last edited by The Unreliable Narrator on January 24th, 2020, 6:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
Word count: 377
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Disciples of Balance, Defender of the Woods
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Elemental and Shapeshifter
Class: Druid

Post by Harroc Crownegrove »

"You forget his ma was an Elf sometimes." The baker nods to the young Elf sitting on a stone wall across the way. You'd been staring at him without realizing. "The way he carries himself, and looks to his hands to do the work. I swear every time he comes by the shop to get a loaf of bread a wave of washed urchins will follow."

The man rubs his chin and smiles at you, nodding to himself before continuing. "Aye, I said washed. The little beggars clean themselves up before presenting to the fellow. They come in their ragged dresses and torn caps and pants. They come around and he offers them a deal." The baker rubs his hands together as if a merchant haggling. "'Tell me a tale and I'll mend what you give,' he says to them. Always the same, like a prayer, he says it. The little ones eyes light up and they push a ripped bundle in to his lap and tumble over their words."

The baker waves his hand as if to dismiss the elf and his crowd of excited children. "Pay it no mind, he'll be at it all day with nothing to show for it but a smile and a unending gaggle of urchins." The baker's eyes finally flick to your coin purse and he grins broadly. "So, what fine baked goods can I laden you with today adventurer?"
Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on August 13th, 2019, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 238
Toa
Character
Better is Better
Level
22 / 22 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Lumeacia
Class: Sorcerer and Wizard

Re: [PROMPT] The Chronicles and Times of Kevin the Elf

Post by Toa »

“Kevopolis?” the woman replies, casting a critical eye over you as she speaks “Well let me save you some time, you’re not his type.”

With that she returns to her work stirring the viscous liquid. You are happy to let the matter lie but it soon becomes apparent that something has been set in motion.

“Now if you were taller, darker, and had leaves then maybe.” the woman continues, giving you a sidelong glance “And that’s not some anti elf sentiment neither, it’s just all he cares about is trees and his damned work...”

She continues to stir the liquid but she now appears to be doing so much more forcefully than is necessary.

“And I can understand the trees part, everyone likes a nice tree.” she concedes “But the man’s a workaholic. You should hear him...”

She clears her throat before continuing.

You better get out of that dress before it’s torn..” the woman rumbles in a deep voice you can only assume is an imitation Your blouse is so thin I can see you’re chilly. I think I could improve your appearance by removing some of the excess fabric from around your waist. Those clothes would look a lot better if you left them in my workshop overnight…

As she speaks the ladle begins to slow and when it finally stops you look up to see a faraway expression on the woman’s face.

“Ohhhh…” she says finally.

It takes her a moment to collect herself but after pushing an errant strand of hair from her face she gets back to business.

“Anyway...” returning her attention to you “I don’t normally sell jam by the barrel but since y’all have that much bread I guess we’ll figure something out.”
Word count: 300
Thistle Verbena
Character
Sassy Gay
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Fae
Class: Sorcerer and Alchemist

Post by Thistle Verbena »

"Kevin the elf? As in the tailor? Yes, I know him. Of course I do." Because Thistle is nothing if not well dressed, and that man can sew like his very life depends on it.

"I am wearing one of his creations right now, if you couldn't tell." The little half Fae gives a little turn so that his outfit, which consists of a beautiful cream colored tunic with beaded accents and a set of close fitting breeches in the softest shade of blue, can be more fully appreciated. Shamelessly, he pauses for just a moment longer than is necessary with his back to you, just in case you were interested in admiring the way said soft blue breeches brought out the gentle curve of his backside. He smirks over his shoulder as he catches you looking.

"He's ever so talented." He adds dreamily, plucking at the soft hem of his tunic, admiring the way the fabric caresses his skin like a lover's touch. "And cute, too. Gods the things I would do to that man." He isn't even a bit religious, he just likes using the idea of deities in vain to really drive home a point. Especially points that were wildly inappropriate. "But alas, I keep hearing he only likes trees and fabric. Pity. A man like that deserves to be shown a good time every once in a while. Especially when he's keeping me looking beautiful. And for such low cost."

He eyes you up and down, his gaze somewhat critical. "Come to think of it, he could help you out, probably. That's not a very good look for you. Kind of frumpy, even." Thistle has an eye for fashion, and he can tell it's not a trait the two of you share. "I can take you to where he does business, if you like. Might be worth it." He chuckles when he notices the wares you're holding. "He may even to be open to taking payment in jam sandwiches... but I'm certainly not. Sorry to tell you." He sniffs in a superior sort of way.

"Now that's a silver for the love potion and not a copper less."
Word count: 362
Corr Blackbeam
Character
Shapeshifting Spy-for-Hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Shapeshifter
Class: Alchemist and Rogue

Post by Corr Blackbeam »

It's stormy outside the back alley tavern and the lamps inside are lit, sending flickering light and ominous shadows dancing across the walls. The same shadows move over the sharp-featured face of the slim man sitting next you at the bar. His raven-black eyes dart from place to place as he considers your question, looking uneasy.

"I know the tailor's you're talking about," he says, lowering his voice. It's become a soft growl – it almost sounds threatening. "Why? Did someone mention I was there?"

You motion for another round, and when the bartender plants a pint of expensive ale in front of him, the dark-eyed man sighs and shifts slightly on his stool, casting a careful eye around him before continuing.

"All right," he says, "but this goes no further than the walls of this tavern." He scrutinises you. "You're lucky I trust you."

He sips his pint and smacks his lips. "I was robbing it, okay? That's why I was there. Needed a fancy outfit to get into the Veiled Visage. You know, that posh place over that way?" He waves his hand in the direction of the door. "Masks and stuff, they all wear there. Ridiculous, isn't it?"

He leans back on his stool. "I needed something good – something quality. Expensive. I got in through a back window that had been left cracked open. It was all dark – didn't see much. But once I'd found what I needed and was heading back through the shop, I knocked something off a table. A little book."

The man looks vaguely troubled, now, and he takes another sip of his amber-gold pint. "It was a sketch book. Just a little thing," he says. "When I opened it up, I could just see, by the light filtering in, that it was filled with sketches of all kinds of trees. Oaks. Willows. Elders. You name it. They were all there – and they were all really good."

Your eyebrows quirk as you take in this information. "Made me realise, just for a second, that the person I was stealing from was flesh and blood, you know? With hobbies and hopes and dreams and wants..."

The man with the bird-like gaze shrugs his shoulders and goes back to hunching over his pint. "Like I said,” he mutters, "this goes no further. ’Less you want a knife in your ribs when you least expect it. I can find anyone in this city – trust me on that.”

His face is hidden now, and you can't quite tell if he really means it or not.

Note: Word count fail! Gonna try to cut down. XD
Word count: 437
Wish Star
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 55c
Race: Fae
Class: Cleric and Ranger

Post by Wish Star »

Corr's threat of a stabbing wasn't exactly pleasant. In fact, you reckoned it was best to just pay the tab and leave the bar. The tavern was seedy looking anyway.

Outside, the rain was more welcoming even as it soaked your clothes. Walking down the Fellsgard alley, people were lingering despite the rain and among the night goers, a group of painted up ladies wearing dresses with frilled skirts gathered under a building awning. They were talking with a Fae woman who was obviously not part of their group.

The awning was the perfect place to rest, so you stopped, the women not paying any mind as you listened in on the conversation. As it so happened, they were discussing a being you had heard quite a bit of lately.

"So, Kevin knows where I might find these?" Wish asked pointing at her crude drawings of leaves.

"Those are rare," a woman replied, "but sure, he'll know. Listen though deary, there are far better ways you could spend your time with Kevopolis."

"That's right," another lady chimed in. "Kevopolis treated us so nice. Paid to spend the evening with four of us."

An eyebrow of Wish's lifted in curiosity. "What did he do...? I mean, he must have gotten tired after a, uh, second round?"

"What are you thinking of? We just went out for coffee and cake."

"Oh," Wish said, her voice hinting of disappointment not hearing anything juicy. "Well, thanks for your time. I must be off to find these ingredients."

After the Fae left, the women all giggled and leaned in together. "But after coffee and cake, Kevopolis did give us a real treat. They say Elves have quite the stamina, but all night long and the next day?! We certainly need more clients like that!"
Word count: 299
Val Bellamy
Character
100% Guaranteed Not Her Fault
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Elemental
Class: Bard

Post by Val Bellamy »

"You're going to see Kevopolis in that?!" the Bellamy bard snorts unrepentantly, eyes assessing every outdated accessory on your ensemble. It's hard to hear her over the k-shunk of machinery, but she carries on unperturbed.

"Bit of advice, dear? Might want to class it up a mite afore you go wooin' a tailor in tassled sleeves - here, y'ever heard of Devin? Yeah, the other elven tailor," now seemingly more amicable to your situation, the gregarious derailer leans over despite the growing wind. "Rumours say ol' Dev and Kev used to be thick as thieves, 'till The Spoolining happened, Kev moved away, Dev opened shop across town, and... yeah," she pauses, eyes turned skyward as the shadow passes overhead.

"... Annnnnyway..." Fished from her inside vest pocket, she slips you a folded paper with an address, instructing, "Ask Dev there for the 'Cedar Special,' and he'll hook you up with all you need to be more than a one-time charity case for Kevopolis, if you catch my drift." The chatterbox's head tilts with a coy grin at you, green eyes twinkling in silent understanding before returning to the scene beyond the gate.

"You'll be sure to accomplish that with my songwriting, at the least. Here, madame, your ballad -" and another rolled paper offered from her pockets, complete with a dramatic bow "- that'll be 15 copper, and mind the rhythm skip in stanza six. You'll want to say it, but the word is not 'cluck'."

"Or I can put it on your tab," she adds with an admiring wink. "Just for you, a special offer - next time, we can split the costs♪" She doesn't wait for your reaction, little more than payment received before the airship has officially docked and the bard disappears into the growing crowd.
Word count: 298
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Wizard

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

This Post marks the end of the month. Apologies for the delay, man family things happening outside the world of Khyeras.
I'll be updating the summation of the month this weekend in this same posting.

Please feel free to either wait until then to make your next post or have at now. Many thanks to all the people who've already participated, and I hope we can continue the ongoing mythos of the wonderful Kevin the Elf!

Kevin The Elf's Mythos Expands
  • He is a skilled and effective tailor
  • He consorts with all manner of people regardless of class
  • He is 'considerate' to the ladies
  • He keeps sketchbooks and is talented at recreating natural flora
  • He has an understanding of current fashion
Word count: 121
Toa
Character
Better is Better
Level
22 / 22 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Lumeacia
Class: Sorcerer and Wizard

The Chronicles and Times of Kevin the Elf

Post by Toa »

"He's a moron."

Considering how everything you've heard about Kevin thus far has been incredibly complimentary this catches you off guard. You say as much and once Toa finishes chewing her jam sandwich she elaborates.

"Oh, he's a good..." Toa pauses, frowning as she tries to think up the right word "...clothes wizard. Just have a look at this."

With a flourish Toa produces a large brimmed hat from her bag and puts it on.

"You wear it on your head. It keeps you dry. Don't know what the feather does..." Toa says, waggling the giant silver feather experimentally as she speaks "Could be for determining wind direction. Anyway, I call it a head-boot."

You briefly consider telling her it's called a hat and they are in fact remarkably common but as that feels like a bad idea you instead ask why she has such a low opinion of the inventor of the head-boot.

"He says really stupid stuff." says Toa, still batting the feather back and forth "Things like it's against his nature to keep women dry, a terrible outlook for a clothes man. He even said I was the most beautiful flower he'd ever seen and asked to sketch me. Two things wrong with that: I'm not a flower and why would I have to be naked to be sketched. He's a clothes wrangler, he can surely draw clothes."

The story is immediately familiar and you politely suggest that he may have been flirting. Toa stops playing with the feather and stares at you unblinking.

"I know." she says coolly "That's why he's a moron. I'm way out of his league."

You decide to let the subject drop but as Toa removes her hat she pauses reflectively.

"Still I have to admit... it was a very good sketch."
Word count: 300
Leiven Loramrai
Character
Doom of the Mountain
Level
26 / 26 HP
16 / 16 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter

Post by Leiven Loramrai »

"What'd'ya think you'll get from the fellow tossing coins about like a drunkard?" the gruff dwarf asks you as he raises his mug for another round. "Ain't no worth the trouble if you're thinking to get something from the 'astard 'sides flowery words and empty coffers." A dark frown settles over the fellow's face before he continues, "Sure you'll get some fancy mop for a ball, but in a week it'll be worthless an' there ain't no returning soiled goods." A barmaid refills his mug and he grins broadly at her before taking a somber chug and glowering again. "After all he's made, he still spends it on whores and cheats his suppliers. The fop cannae even pay me back for a barrel o' fish." He throws back another gulp of ale before thrusting his finger accusingly at you. "So don' be givin' him more coins to squander and expecting anything but disappointment." The dwarf finishes his mug and thunks it onto the table with a satisfied belch. "An' another thing!" he almost shouts. "If you got any sense keep y'ur girls away from him. He's got more horns than all the armies in Tviyr."
Word count: 195