Introduction and whatnot

Feeling new and lost in the woods? Stop by and post a topic introducing yourself! How did you get to Khy'eras? What's your favorite song, movie, food, drink, etc.? How long have you been roleplaying? Write as little or as much as you want.
May
Writer
Chain-drinking Tea Diva

Introduction and whatnot

Post by May »

Hi there everyone! Similar to Seven, I've said hello and asked a few questions in the Discord, but thought I'd better introduce myself on the forum and let you all know a little bit about me. :D

I'm May, I'm in my early thirties and I live in the south-east UK, near(ish) London. Most of my career has been in editing/publishing, mainly academic books and journals, but I'm currently doing something a bit different - copywriting for a charity. I've been doing that for over a year now but am still in the process of working out if I prefer it to what I was doing before!

However, my big passion in life is fiction writing, and although it's a bit of a pipe dream, I would love to be a published author someday. I started out (at the tender age of twelve or thirteen) writing terrible fanfiction, then wrote bits and bobs of original fiction and worldbuilt for many years. It's only in the last year or so that I've got really serious about it – that's hitting your thirties for you! – and am currently finishing up my first proper novel draft, which currently stands at (*checks draft*) 127,866 words and will probably end somewhere around 150k.

As for forum roleplaying, I've been involved in it on and off since the 2000s (anyone remember ezboard and InvisionFree??). I owned a Harry Potter board and an original high school board way, way back in the day. >_< But it's been a good long while since I regularly posted somewhere, so like some others have said, I'm likely to be a bit rusty!

As for other stuff, I'm a huge fantasy and scifi fan. I love to read – mainly fantasy but also scifi, horror, crime, young adult and occasionally other things that take my fancy. My favourite authors include China Miéville, Ursula Le Guin, Tolkien, Rowling, Donna Tartt, Tana French and the author of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I also, like others here it seems, love to game, but only PC gaming (my husband's the console gamer :D ). I grew up playing Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, so have a real fondness for isometric fantasy RPGs and D&D. I've never played D&D myself, but I do have a slight obsession with Critical Role...

Wow, I wrote a lot! Better leave it there for now. It's lovely to meet you all and I really look forward to writing with you and creating some awesome stories.
Last edited by May on June 11th, 2019, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.'
Seven
Writer
Lord Eyeless

Re: Introduction and whatnot

Post by Seven »

I love PC gaming! A buddy of mine helped me put together a PC about a year or two ago, I hardly ever play on my PS4 anymore. Isometric RPGs are where it's at! You excited for Baldur's Gate 3?
May
Writer
Chain-drinking Tea Diva

Post by May »

VERY excited for BG3! Baldur's Gate pretty much got me into fantasy in the first place, haha. I was 11 when it came out and played it at a friend's house. Went home and begged my parents to get it for me. The rest is history! (I got my little brother addicted to it, too.)

Pillars of Eternity is also a huge favourite. I see you mentioned it. :D I've not got around to Divinity: Original Sin yet but have been meaning to. I really recommend Tyranny if you haven't played that yet...

It looks like we also share a love of rain/storms, LOTR and Spirited Away, so I'm sure we'll get on just dandy. Also: introverts unite! ^-^
'Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.'
Memoria
Administrator
* { display: coffee; }

Post by Memoria »

As for forum roleplaying, I've been involved in it on and off since the 2000s (anyone remember ezboard and InvisionFree??).
I believe one of my first forums I ever made was on ezboards or invisionfree. Well, I remember owning a zetaboards at a certain point too.

Anyway, like you, I've been wanting to get a work of fiction published, but I'm mid-30s and haven't even started to get serious. Maybe soon! So, in comparison to me, it sounds like you're doing pretty great and I can't wait to read something from you. Good luck!

I guess the nice thing about writing is that we can all enjoy it at any age. :)

Oh, yeah, welcome and all that jazz.
May
Writer
Chain-drinking Tea Diva

Post by May »

Oh, the memories! It was funny watching all the trends that came and went. Now that I'm an old-timer, I just want simplicity/a focus on writing. XD This place seems perfect in that regard!

Yay, a fellow wannabe author. :) Yup, there's really no rush and plenty of debuts come out from 40, 50, 60 year old authors and beyond (I know because I researched it to make myself feel better XD).

But it's the writing itself I love more than anything so as long as I'm doing that (in some form), I'm plenty happy.

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to sending Corr into the fray soon...