A Reminder

Want to get the scoop on all of the recent updates, news, and announcements that have made it into Khy'eras? This would be the place to check.
Memoria
Administrator
* { display: coffee; }

A Reminder

Post by Memoria »

It is difficult for me to keep up and write a good response with everything that has happened on Discord while I am at work. I've tried to understand and catch up on the situation, but admittedly, I may be missing a few points. So, I am going to write general "blanket" reminders for everyone.

When I created this site, I attempted to write very few rules based on the concept of "respect". We all need to respect each other and if you feel some one is hurting you in any way, please speak to me personally (don't send a messenger) or you can message @Agaliarept if you're not comfortable talking to me. Remember that we are not always going to agree with each other on our thoughts and viewpoints, and while debate can be good, everyone has their limits and we shouldn't try to intentionally (or not) push buttons.

Furthermore, on thread writing, we should all be writing in a manner that makes us comfortable. If you like to write posts back and forth, do so. If you like to collaborate with people into writing single posts, do so as well. But do realize that not everyone needs to conform to a certain standard. There should be flexibility and enjoyment in writing and the moment we start forcing people to edit their posts or do things they don't want to do, it removes the joy in writing - which is what we are all here for.

I'd like to bring up pressure and timing, too. Certain people will need days while others crank out posts. Either is fine, so don't ever feel pressured to write a response especially if you lack motivation or the writer's block creeps up. It happens.

If a thread starts to go sour, sometimes its best just to walk away from it. If you don't like where something is going, withdraw your character or talk to the staff to see if we should archive the thread. The great (and unexpected thing) about roleplaying is that unless specifically planned out, we don't know how other players are going to respond. I feel there's a certain sense of excitement about that. You can choose how you want to respond or to not respond.

In light of this, there are a few extra things I will request. If you have any sort of triggers, sensitivities, or preferences about writing, please fill those out on your "Writer" account under the "Writer Preferences" field. This is found under User Control Panel > Edit Profile. Alternatively, you can start a thread in "Plotting and Tracking". There is also a "Topic description" field where you can list trigger warnings or mature content flags. Work with the topic authors and writers to keep these up-to-date if you find a detail is necessary to disclose.

Do not use Discord to air your preferences. Remember that things get lost easily in chat and people will forget (it's human nature, but definitely not an excuse). Chat, in my opinion, is not meant for such things. It should be used for casual chatter, mild storyline planning, notifying people of threads. Basically, if it's very important to you and you want people to know about it, use the forum.

On the flip side, be aware of who you are writing with. Check out writer profiles, character profiles, and/or plotters. Read topic descriptions.

I do not have much else to add here. To be honest, it concerns me to have to write these sorts of posts, but I know it can be a necessary task of running a board. That's fine, because I ultimately love this board and appreciate all of you who have contributed - no matter how big or small. Do understand that I am not - in any way - targeting any specific person. (I have unfortunately been accused of this before and had to defend my own words.) Everyone should read this and think about the point that I am trying to drive home here, which circling back, is just the concept of "respect". If anyone feels after reading this that I might have caused offense, reach out to me. That's the last thing I want.

I know I've been a bit absent the last few weeks or so, but I'm always watching and reviewing when I can. I am settled in work right now (knock on wood), so I'll be more active and returning to our exciting next set of updates. Let's start out 2020 great in Khy'eras, folks. I am really happy with how far we've gotten, and I think we have a lot to look forward to, should we choose to work together.