I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Katarya and Dáire are contracted to retrieve a special item of great value to Aurae, Mistress of The White Hart tavern.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis had worn himself out running around with Ksenia. They'd managed O'Dell's, the clothier, the bank, and meeting up with his contacts in the east district. All of these errands had worn him to a fine irritated edge. He knew this, knew it would make him do something stupid.

So he needed to have a drink and relax before he actually had a real talk with Katarya. Otherwise, he'd likely end up with an elven boot in his ass on the cold cobble. Having to limp all the way back to the secluded warehouse was not his idea of a good night.

He stepped into the White Hart just after the sun had touched the rooftops. He adopted his idols-may-care smile and moved with confidence he didn't feel. Elves were fascinating to him. They lived in worse than most in Fellsgard, but they tended to carry a common bond he didn't find among his own race. He'd always wondered if it was something they had or something they wanted that kept them together. He desperately wanted that sense of belonging one day.

His eyes flitted across the room. The furniture was standard heavy-duty fare. Tables, chairs, a long bar, and a stage. Beyond that, there was wood almost everywhere, nearly all of it carved with detailed renditions of animals and flowers. He wondered who'd done the work and if he could get something like it for his shop someday.

He also noticed the icy stares of at least fifteen elves, just over half of which were visibly armed. There looked to be three staff who'd only given him a glance before continuing with their duties.

There was one elf, sitting beside the stage with cheeks red from drink, who smirked at him. "So you're the witch's human! Up you go then," he said, somewhat louder than necessary.

Artemis smiled at the man as the rest of the room toned back their glares the faintest amount. He also sent a light birdsong into the mostly silent room. The bright cheery tones of a blackbird sprang from his lips almost unbidden. {Greeting. Friend. Safe.} He felt a flush of excitement as an elf towards the back quirked his head. There was a flash of recognition in his eyes, and a smile on his lips.

"My thanks, though my manly honor requires me to claim she is mine instead," Artemis said with a broad smile after the birdsong faded. Satisfied he'd made his point, Artemis waved to the drunk elf and moved to the stairs, taking them smoothly and without sound.

He realized as he reached the landing that he didn't know what room Katarya would be in. He likely could have scouted the roofs to find Nyx or candlelight, but he didn't dare go back into the elves down below alone. He looked over the doors and noticed some had leaves on them. He stood between the possible suspects and offered a soft lilting birdsong. {Love. Find. Take.}
Word count: 496
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

Nyx squawked, making Kat jump as she had been focusing on the a badly made woollen doll she held in her hand. She'd been trying to bind a spell into it for the last hour, and was annoyed with herself. This should have been easy, but she felt a little off her game. But the squawk came just before a bird call. Kat raised a brow, checked her hair in the polished mirror on her desk, and moved to the door. She opened it and poked her head out. "Mr. Black! What an expected pleasure." She pushed the door open, and motioned for him to come in. "Come before the Quimellë sees you; she doesn't approve of one Human under this roof, let alone two."

She retreated back into the room, a small, cosy place, littered with books, mostly written in Elvish, though her large Book of Shadows dominated the desk. She closed it up and took two cups from the back and produced a bottle of wine. "How was your reception, downstairs? I hope they didn't bother you ... or you them," she smiled, then held up her bottle. "Drink?" She nudged the doll she had been working on out of sight, and poured a cup.
Word count: 206

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He grinned at her as she appeared in one of the doors. She hustled him into her room as if he was threatening people standing in the hall. Her room was crowded with things he'd never even considered to afford, and he felt a pang of regret he'd never seen it's twin in her shop. "Frosty, and that's the word for- lady, right? He'd call his wine that all the time," Artemis said with a glimmer of memory in his eyes.

When she offered him a drink, he took it and downed a big sip before answering her. "Horrid, no one actually stabbed me, but I'm pretty sure several of them thought about it. The drunk one was cute, and at least one fellow knows the song," he said before taking a much more sedate sip of the wine. It tasted fruitier than he was used to, but wasn't entirely unpleasant.

"What's the doll thing for?" he asked her, pointing to where her foot had moved the small item. "Also, these look amazing on you," he said suddenly, stepping in close to kiss just below her ear where his gift sat. "So does this," he said, running a hand along her side, firmly stroking the fabric of her dress and her skin beneath.

He looked into her eyes and smiled, "I'm extremely irate at the moment, it's been a horrid long day, so I'm going to fawn over a beautiful woman and drink for a bit if you care to talk at me," he said, taking another sip of his wine and beginning to delicately stroke her braid with his deft fingers.
Word count: 272
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat smiled as he kissed her. "They'll get used to you in time ... probably ... hopefully." She returned this kiss. "Once I have Aurae's trust, then I'll be able to settle down, and maybe get better contracts. The only reason I got this one was because she needed a Human who happened to be a witch. Trust is like currency here."

When he mentioned the doll, she bit her lip, looking almost guilty. "A witch doll ... not the prettiest form of magic. You stick someone's hair inside it, it creates a bond, then you can ... hurt them or cause them afflictions by putting pins in certain areas ... though I have'nt gotten the hang of it, just yet."

She motioned for him to sit, taking a drink of her own wine. "A stressful day? Was it the dinner, or was it everything? She asked. "I personally thought it went quite well. Ksenia managed not to bite me, and I managed to keep from having all her hair fall out. Plus you finally got to meet Dáire; you seemed to get along well, which I am pleased about. He's a good man." She said.
Word count: 192

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

"Isn't trust a coin everywhere?" he responded, genuinely confused as he stared at a particularly intricate portion of her braid. When she mentioned the witch doll, his eyebrow raised. "Like a poison, that you don't have to deliver. I hope you're not taking any of mine to test it," he said, giving her a wry grin. "Though, if you do need some, I'd appreciate you being gentle," he added, returning to tracing her braid and drinking his wine.

At her instruction, he sat and wiggled into a comfortable spot on the bed. "I don't think she wants to bite you. Though, as long as you can get along for business, it's your life, not mine," he said with a shrug.

"The day was long, the time short, and the responsibilities endless. What else is new," he said with a shrug. "Though I could get used to this, even if I have to put up with death glares." He leaned around to kiss her neck softly.

When she mentioned Dáire he grinned. "He's massive Kat, like several elves stacked together. I barely came above his abs. You've spent time in a tent with him, does he have, you know, Kerasokan lumber?" Artemis asked, still not looking away from her delicate hair but motioning lewdly with his hand.

He was trying to figure out why simply caressing her braid was so terribly calming. Something about holding it, just the feel of it in his fingers. It helped it also brought forth pleasant memories. "Add on to that he's clearly more level than a tax man's ruler, and I certainly hope we get along."

Artemis began to idly whistle birdsongs. He found he couldn't get them out of his head now that he'd actually seen an elf who recognized them. {Snow. Moon. Dance. Sing. Love.}
Word count: 303
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

"True," Kat conceded. "But here ... bring Human and daring to live under the hart's roof is like a slap to some of them. It's not entirely different from being a witch, but at least I can hide that. Maybe if I can move up the ladder here, a little, people might start being a bit more accepting of me. For now, they call me a Lassë, the Kerasoka word for 'Leaf' and it's the lowest rank you can be here .. other than the Salquë, which is what you'd be seen as."

Kat smiled as he played with her hair. "Do you like the new look? Raya helped me learn how to do it. I was a bit resistant at first, but it makes me feel ... pretty!" She smiled, a little embarrassed. "If you tell anyone, then I will link to the doll, and I most definitely won't be gentle." She gave him a quick kiss, taking his hand in hers. "Though if you happen to have a lock of that seamstress' hair ... I'm kidding!" She added, before she caused a row.

Kat rolled her eyes. "I have no idea what Dáire's timber looks like, nor do I! Yes, he's handsome, and could probably throw me around like the Leaf they call me ... but I am hopelessly devoted to you." She moved to sit down. "But you said you wanted to talk to me, and it sounded quite serious! What is it, Artemis?"
Word count: 243

Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Post by Dáire »

The Tavern was busy that night, just over a dozen patrons milled around, or staggered about from their over indulgence, in the spirits Aurae managed to procure, at surprisingly affordable prices for her elven brethren. Raens smooth voice rang out across the cosy room, as he sung yet another ballad full of heroes and great deeds. Dáire flicked through the multiple scrawled replies he had received over the past few hours from his contacts. One in particular, he noticed, was not in the stack. His fist clenched around a napkin, a wave of resentment washing through him as he thought of the halfling. He’d always been difficult to deal with. Jacidon Dorlar, or Jack as he referred to himself when he wanted no one to know of his elven heritage; was a slippery wisp of a man. Cunning, devious and a successful negotiator, he played the noble houses off one another to further his own pocket, but he owed Dáire, and it was no small debt either.

He’d heard Kataryas’ lover, and now his partner; enter moments before he made the decision to go and sort Jack out . Pulling his cloak firmly around him and hiding within the shadows of his hood, he slipped out the Harts door behind Artemis, sweeping into the cool night. Moving like a wraith though the quiet streets, he arrived in the south west of the city where he knew Jack was most likely to be. The hoots and hollers from within the small warehouse drew his attention to the back of the building. Small windows were in set into the walls, at what would have been above human head height, but they proved the perfect height for Dáire to scan the interior through. Four humans and Jack sat around a squat table near the south wall, his mop of muddy brown hair in disarray from having run hands through it and ice blue eyes shrewd as he studied his hand. Liquor bottles, cards and various trinkets lay across the table as one of the men smacked another on the back, nearly causing him to topple off the chair in a drunken stupor. Ugh, why are they always so drunk, they’ll try to intervene. Continuing his way around the building he located the door at the back which had been left ajar. Setting his face into hard lines it was unaccustomed to, he strode through the door, sending it crashing into the wall behind with a loud crack.

All five males around the table jumped to their feet, two almost falling back down into their seats, one stout man grabbing for an empty wine bottle the other two ; including Jack drew knives. Dáire felt his face slip into a cold, cruel smile as he made eye contact with each of the men in turn. The face of the bottle wielding oaf, paled to a ghostly white before he made a hasty dash for the far door on wobbly legs. “Hello Jacidon.” Dáire purred in elven, the halfling in questions face crumpling into a scowl, but he said nothing. Dáire made sure to pull himself up to his full height, squaring what shoulder width he had, and strode through the space towards the man. “I do believe you still owe me a favour, and since I didn’t hear back from you earlier.” He gave the remaining humans a derisive sneer as he approached, his attention then refocussing on Jack. “I thought that maybe that was an invitation to come see you, friend.”

The other men around them shuffled uneasily, totally oblivious to what their exchange was to do with. Jack had the gaul to look annoyed with Dáire, a muscle ticked in the man’s cheek as he glared back at the elf before him. Tawny eyes a flame within his head and the air around them became electric.

“What are you waiting for!”He snapped at the two closest to him, “You’re going to let him threaten me?!”

Dáire cocked his head and raised a sleek black brow, his cool grey eyes boring into the two men in question. While one seemed to value his life and had enough sense to take a step back, the other took on a similar air to his leader. Jack smiled smugly, apparently thinking two against one had him an automatic victor. Dáire laughed coldly, locking eyes with Jack as his large hand shot out and wrapped around the humans’ scrawny neck. Jacks eyes went buggy, almost popping from his skull as he scrabbled desperately at Dáire’s forearm. Blade forgotten. He squeezed ever so slightly. “I don’t like to be ignored Jacidon. You owe me a great deal more than gold … but I’m hear to make it your lucky day; believe it or not young halfling.” He said, switching back to the common tongue in a flat, cold voice as he watched the mans face turn a ruddy red, as his temper flared hotter. Out of the corner of his eye he saw that the other two men had slipped away, leaving the now seething, and red faced human beside Jack trying to sneak around behind Dáire. In one graceful arc of his arm, Dáire drew a small blade from the underside of his gauntlet, leveling the point at the humans throat. Turning his head slowly to meet the humans angry glare, Dáire sighed deeply.

“Did your mother not tell you it was unwise to pick on someone bigger, and smarter than yourself?” He turned back to Jack, “Or to make promises you don’t intend to fulfill? Unlucky for you, I don’t have a back out clause on my deals.” He said, almost hissing the last words at the man. Leaning in closer to the mans ear, he lowered his voice, “I want the blank bag - I know you have at least one,” The words were delivered so softly, they could have been a caress. Pulling back, his hand slipped from the mans neck to clasp his jaw, in a punishing grip. “You have until sun down tomorrow to bring it to me, and if not? Well,” He smiled again, show a row of very white teeth, glancing briefly to the man still at the tip of his dagger. “Then our next encounter wont be so pleasant. For either party; I hate washing blood out of my clothing you know? It stinks.”

Dáire shoved the mans jaw away, and he stumbled backwards into the table. Taking a step away himself, he allowed his dagger wielding arm to drop away from the humans throat. Casting a brief look to the seething lacky he went on, “If he doesn’t pay up, and you want to see the sun rise again, I wouldn’t be around him tomorrow night. I can get a little stab happy when I’m pissed.” He gave Jack a very serious and pointed stare as he glared back at Dáire, hatred colouring his features. “This is no warning Jack, it’s a promise. Deliver or I will collect.” Both men remained silent as their hate fueled glares scorched Dáire 's skin.

Turning on his heel, he melted into the shadows outside once more, Jacks loud cursing drifting out the door behind him.

Upon drifting through the doors of The Hart once more, the place had almost emptied, a few sat around but anyone with any sense had already turned in for the night. Dáire flopped into a stool by the bar, emotionally exhausted and physical weary, flagging down an eager Cithrel, he set about consuming enough liquor to put him out like a light, once he hit the pillows.
Word count: 1301
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

"I'm sure that means something not quite rude but not exactly friendly in intent," he said to her while he moved a portion of her braids in and out of tension with his fingers.

"I do enjoy it, and it does make you look far warmer. Keep this up, and I'll start to worry about getting you another stick to beat the boys off with," he answered with a wink and a smile.

Artemis' smile broadened as she denied knowing the elf's measure, and then turned into a frown as the questioning came back around to serious matters. He drained his wine and motioned for more before he began.

"I want some answers in exchange for any debts you've incurred. I can tell you're not the sort to like owing anyone anything at any time," he started. Only pausing to hold his cup steady for more wine.

"What are we? Are we something exclusive? What do I do with my needs when you're not around? What am I supposed to be getting from all this, besides a feeling of warmth, amazing sex, and a lot more danger than I was ready for?" he asked her, trying not to ramble off into the weeds with his questions. He took another deep sip of the wine. It was finally starting to settle his thoughts, and unless he missed his mark, he'd need several more cups before the night was finished. For now, he'd give her some time to answer before he went too deep.
Word count: 252
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

'Ah; the dreaded "where is this going?" conversation she thought, her heart sinking. 'I hate this topic.'

"That's a lot of questions." She mused. "More alcohol, I think ..." She downed her wine, poured another cup full, and then topped up Artemis'. "Where to start ... So, 'what are we?'." She sat back, swirling the wine in her cup, thinking for a moment. "I have noticed that the easiest way to corrupt any relationship of any kind, is to define and structure it. Rigidity can cause a thing to crack or snap ... so I would answer with ... I don't know! A love affair that brings me a lot of joy? A singular friendship that could last forever? A man I am 'stepping out' with, as my grandmother might say? I think the bigger question is this: what do you want it to be, Artemis?"

"As for your needs when I'm not around?" She gave a small shrug. "I'm not sure how to answer that question! It implies that your needs must be met, and it would be troublesome if I was away on business if such a need arose. I guess then I'd still have to push it back to you. Do you think you would be able to withhold from going elsewhere for these 'needs', were I to be away on a contract that might take a month or so? And do you feel you're not getting enough? Do you want more? I can only give you answers if I know what you want, Artemis."

She took a drink. "And the debts ... yes, you've been clear that I owe you. You should know that I fully intend to give up my part of the reward for our current contract to you; I'll not take a copper bit for myself. Now, that depends on how much you think I owe you, whether or not that would settle things. Otherwise, I suggest you name your terms, and we'll come to an understanding."
Word count: 331

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He felt a tinge of annoyance when she changed her posture the slightest bit. She was talking business now, something he'd actually hoped to avoid. 'Wanted to talk as friends or whatever, but now we're making business arrangements,' he thought as a particularly good sip of wine landed on his tongue.

"I want to have a home, a place where I'm safe, people that care for me, and that I care for too. I don't know what that means to you and me. I was hoping someone who grew up outside the gutter might have an idea of what a normal relationship might look like," he said, wiggling his cup to accentuate his point.

"Everyone's needs have to be met Kat, lest they turn into a writhing ball of seething and festering discontent," he said, looking at her with a raised brow. "I'm not talking about just tumbles, the companionship, the warmth, things you can't find in a cold straw bed or drunk in an alley." He shrugged at her. "Are we both supposed to keep ourselves bottled up until the other is around? I don't know if I can live like that or if you should either."

He felt a deep sigh build in his chest and let it loose, followed by more wine to quell such things. "I can't tell if I'm drowning in attentions, or simply realizing the depths of what I want. I would have your hand against my skin, your lips pressed to mine, every moment of every day if I thought I could." He laughed sharply and quirked his lips. "Deb once said I was making up for lost time, and the whole never having been a loved child thing. She knows too much."

"Your debts aren't those kinds unless you truly want them to be," he said, rubbing at his face in frustration. "I'll gladly take the money if you don't need it. I guess if we can settle these things even a bit you won't own me a shaving of copper."

He started to get up, feeling the wine tug at his limbs. "I was hoping this would be a talk between friends, but if it's going to be a business deal I'll head home after," he said as he steadied himself ever so slightly.
Word count: 384