[Mature] A Life Worth Living [Completed]

The Thief and The Witch go in search of things needed to keep on in the world

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Re: [Mature] A Life Worth Living

Post by Katarya Frost »

As the two women chatted, Kat suddenly put a hand to her chest. Her amulet tingled against her chest, and even Nyx let out a warning-squawk. Something's wrong ... She said, both to Kesnia and to herself. "I can feel magic ... not anything too strong, but my amulet is getting warm, which usually means danger!"

She got into the dress, now better fitted to her figure, she gave Ksenia a 'thank you', then she heard the knock, and relieved to hear Artemis' voice. But she also wondered where the magic she felt might be coming from. She strode to the door and opened it, raising a brow at the pair. "Are we planning on going to war?" She asked, after seeing the armour. She also noticed that what they were wearing could hardly be described as 'modest'; it left very little to the imagination! She had to keep her eyes on Artemis' face, lest she be caught staring at his ... well, staring.
Word count: 161

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

"It pays to be prepared, and it pays, even better, to be overwhelming. When the needs must, we act with more than we need," Artemis said as if parroting some ancient wisdom. He stepped back from the doorway, motioning her out with his arms. As he did so, he waggled his eyebrows at her, making sure she knew that he had seen her eyes' desire to wander. "Come on then, we've only got so much time before I simply look amazing in this armor."

As they made their way out of the Goose, Artemis wondered what Katarya's senses were telling her. The indications of danger and magic would have faded by now, even though the people beside her were clearly radiating both. "Do you sense us?" he asked her as they stepped off a convenient stone wall and onto an angled tile roof. "I know Beaky can give you a general feel of magic, but that's the armor's specialty. Blending in, hiding from the seeking," he elaborated.

They moved across the city at a pace just below a slow jog. Only slowing occasionally to allow the Witch to keep up. Their steps were silent, without even a rustle of fabric from Marcy's voluminous wrappings. Compared to their eerie silence, Katarya sounded almost like a rolling tumble of shoes and fabrics. When they'd reached the edge of the Western district, Artemis drew them to a halt with a soft bird warble and a closed fist.

The Thief sat down against a shadowed gable and motioned for Kat to sit beside him. "Okay, so the simple plan is this," he said, using his fingers to invisibly draw on the roof. "You drop down a block away from the shop. Mar will get into position on the north side roofs, check for anything obvious. I'll be following behind you, also on the roof, about a building back. You, just waltz in there like nothing's the matter. Pick up the book, and walk right on out." He looked at Katarya to make sure she was following. It was a straightforward plan, but people tended to get flustered on their first few runs. "If things go to hell, get down as fast as you can, and run towards me. Do not, under any circumstances, stop or try to move towards Marcy. She will kill you, and I will be very upset," he said, with a deadpan finality.

Marcy took that moment to chime in, "A falling Knife has no handle after all." Then she turned to Artemis and bowed, "This Knife accepts the Grasping of the Hand. The Knife awaits instruction." Artemis glared at her and gestured for them to continue into the west district.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 12th, 2019, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 450
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

As they walked, Artemis made it clear where the magic she was sensing was coming from. "I could feel something, I still can. But it's not like it's coming specifically from you." She said. "Some kind of concealment charm? How did you manage to get that done? Is there another witch I should be worried about?"

When she was pulled into the gable, Kat listened to the plan with a thudding heart. Though part of her was pleased that he and Marcy had not just decided to go along without her, she was also new to all of this, and she found herself chewing on her lip, anxiously, as she listened. "Walk in. Get box. Walk out ... I think I can just about manage that." She glanced to Marcy as she spoke ... why would Marcy kill her? More curiously; what was the affable young woman, really?

She rose to her feet, and with a glance at Marcy, she leaned forward and gave him a small, quick kiss on the cheek. "Don't die." She commanded, then stepped out of the shadows, heading towards the her home ... or what would be left of it.

Staring at the husk that used to be her home, it took Kat a few minutes to pluck up the courage to enter. Rope had been strung around the perimeter of the house, and a sign saying Danger! had been placed in wood on a pole a few feet from the door. Kat sighed, hoping she wasn't going to get crushed by the whole thing falling on top of her!

She bowed her the rope, and headed for the opening where her front door had been. Her eyes were wide at the devastation the fire had caused. Nothing was salvageable, that much was true. If anything had survived, no doubt thieves would have taken care of that.

Speaking of thieves ...

As she ascended the stairs to her small flat above the shop, wincing at the protesting wood that was barely supporting her weight. She coughed quietly as the disturbed soot entered her lungs. When she finally pushed through to, reaching her former sleeping quarters, she found the box and a man desperately trying to get it open. She had rounded the corner and the two were basically stepping on each other's toes, her eyes widening in shock.

From the looks of him, he was poor .. and mean. He sported a dagger (which he was using to try and open the box with) and a few scars on his face. His eyes went wide with surprise, just had hers. He looked like he was about to ask a question, then decided on another course of action, reaching out to grab hold of her, his eyes narrowed in ill-intent.

How had she not sensed him? Her amulet had not reacted, and she had not heard Nyx, who was no doubt close by. Was he using magic? Or perhaps he had a magic item on him, for concealment?

Kat reacted more out of instinct than anything else. Quicker than she thought she could be, she smacked her hand onto his forehead as he lunged at her. "Enyalië!" She shouted, louder than was necessary, but she wanted her unseen companions to know that something had happened.

The man's eyes seem to cloud over, and he stumbled back as the memory spell got to work.

Kat had no chance to gloat however, as another man appeared from nowhere, lunging out from behind her and the next moment, she was on the floor, landing with a hard thud and gasping as her head bounced off the tender wood. "Freak bitch!" Her attacker sneered at her, then raised a fist, ready to come down on the helpless witch
Word count: 623

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt a tingle in his spine a moment before he heard the shout of Katarya's spell. The fact that there'd been no other warning likely meant she was either in very close quarters or had gotten the drop on someone. Based on the sound, she was likely on the upper floor. Probably near the stairs. He'd need to aim for the far corner. The Hand tensed his legs, feeling the warmth of magic in his boots before he sprang into the air. His leap lacked much of the grace he remembered, but as he tumbled, experience still allowed him to come down on the burned building feet first.

He crashed through the corner of the roof with the muffled sound of splintering wood and groaning supports. His blade snapped out and forward before the cloud of ash even reached the walls. Without waiting to see if he'd hit, Artemis strode forward and sliced the dazed man's neck open in a clean stroke. The flying dagger struck Katarya's attacker as his arm came down, but the force of the blade slammed him aside.

The Hand halted suddenly, warmth in his armor telling him a lot of magic was hunting, searching, trying to pinpoint his location. He let out a shrill bird cry for Marcy and turned to move for his dagger. Two more knife-wielding thugs entered the room without the sound of tramping boots. Artemis froze in surprise, and one thug took his chance to swing a heavy kick at Katarya's face.

The Hand growled, cursing himself for getting distracted. He tensed his boots and dashed forward, finding the throat of the far man with his dagger as his hand caught the kicker in a throat strike. The momentum carried his hardened glove clean through the soft tissue of the neck to strike the spine. There was silence again, and Artemis moved to pick Katarya up. "We need to go, now," he said, his voice dull as if far away.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 12th, 2019, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 330
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Everything was happening so fast!

Just as the man was advancing on her, Artemis crashed through the fragile ceiling and was on her attacker, opening the man's throat with an efficiency that sent ice down her spine.

And then she shrunk back as ash clouded her vision and filled her lungs, sending her into a coughing fit. Still, she managed to wrap her arms around the box. She looked up through stinging eyes, trying to make it through the debris holding on to the precious box. But she didn't get far, even with Artemis for help. Almost out of nowhere, a boot hit her face with enough force to send her sprawling to the floor, and a cry escaped her lips as, using her right arm, trying to break her fall, a cracking sound could be heard as her wrist didn't take her weight at such a momentum.

Then there were feathers; Nyx was screeching in rage as she flapped through the ash, clawing at the face of one of the men, causing one of them scream in agony. "My fucking eye!" He cried out. Nyx let out of a cry of triumph.

The box was in her lap as she lay on the floor, but Kat tried to muster what she could, making a motion with her left hand (her right one was a source of white agony). "Vilya!" She cast, causing a current of air to pull the ash from the floor and sweeping forward towards the two new thugs, getting to her feet as they cursed

"Run!" Artemis commanded, and she quickly obliged.

She ran out of the room as fast as she could, making the stairs before halting. Should she help Artemis? She held the box in one hand, and the other was most likely fractured or broken ... she would likely be a liability.

So she turned and headed down the stairs, staggering slightly. The kick to her head had been a strong one, and only adrenaline kept the pain at bay. She felt a trickle of blood trace down her cheek, however. And then she winced as the amulet around her neck grew hot ... really hot! Someone here was using powerful magic; more powerful than she, anyway.

On the ground floor, she stopped, gasping for air that wasn't full of ash, then she looked around. Where was Marcy? And where was this magic-user who was hunting them? Nyx fluttered to her shoulder, giving out a warning squawk, but what her familiar was warning her of, she had no idea.
Word count: 424

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Artemis was not a fan of whatever area magic the bastard outside was casting. It was impossible to tell when someone was coming if their movement made no sound, and the constant burn of magic warnings in his armor made it hard to concentrate. Thankfully, he had smart companions, and Beaky was eager to protect her master. Katarya even managed to magic ash, blinding the two newcomers right as the Hand picked up his second dagger. He shouted, she fled, and he turned his attention to the blinded pair. He struck out with the force of a kicking mule, and their skulls met the wall with a deadened crunch.

Artemis crashed into the bottom floor at a near sprint, hoping to catch any attackers by surprise. When there was only Kat he slowed, put his hand on her back, and moved her to the door. With a firm kick, he knocked the ashen remains of the door off its hinges. He stepped them into the moonlight and halted in fear.

Marcy giggled and moaned in ecstasy. The wind mage was putting up quite the fight, and it tickled her deep inside. Lightning crackled softly across her body as the poor man tried again to stop her heart. She writhed, relishing the tingling pain, as the magic was sucked into her skin. Then she saw the Witch and the Hand. She frowned, it was time to stop playing. "It's been fun lover, but I've got to go," she purred at the mage as his eyes widened in terror.

The mage-killer focused her stolen energy into her palm and lashed forward with a firm strike to the mage's chest. The mage's scream of agony was muffled as his magic essence was forced to warp and twist, wrapping around his heart. There was a sharp tug, and as his life left him, he looked down in wonder. His heart still beat, trapped in a sphere of his own magic. "Oh, lover, this is wonderful. I'll make sure to keep it for a long time," she said as the mage crumpled to the ground.

"Kat, run, don't stop until you're somewhere safe. If you go to the Goose, get some healing, but do not stop running," Artemis said in a hoarse whisper. He let her go and stood to his full height, taking a deep breath to steel himself for what was to come. "Knife," he shouted over the space between them. "It's time to sheath." Marcy twirled in place before facing him with a broad grin. "You dropped me, I took my fill. Those are the rules Hand. So, are you going to catch the falling knife?" she asked him with a manic glint sparkling in her eyes.

Artemis grimaced before taking a step forward. "Please, Marcy, don't make me do this. I can't tell Robert how you died," he said, a deep pleading in his voice, his hands held out wide. Marcy came to a jerky halt. "Robbie-" she said as she swayed unsteadily. Then she laughed wildly and clenched her fists, "I need this, Arty. You know that. I can't keep it back," she said as tears shimmered in her eyes.

The trapped heart in her hand pulsed with light, and she dashed forward, moving like the lightning the mage had wielded. Artemis managed to roll just enough that the strike to the gut only felt like it cost him most of his life. He tried to suck air into his emptied lungs, but only felt bile rise instead. Marcy's cheek pressed against his, her breath hot on his ear, tears flowing from her eyes onto him. "Help me," she said, curling and uncurling her fingers pressed against his armor.

Blood trickled from the Thief's mouth as he tried to make his limbs move. A small part of his mind felt like laughing. 'So this was how I die. Taking a punch to the gut from a girl I once thought I loved.' The rest of his mind roared and railed. He haphazardly flicked his wrist, but the muscles in hand simply let the dagger clatter to the ground. Marcy twitched, she was losing the fight and would return to murdering him soon. "He-" Artemis coughed blood and tried again. "He would- die before- he let you- live with this," he managed to hiss through his teeth.

Marcy reeled back as if struck and Artemis felt a surge of adrenaline course through his veins. This was the only chance he was going to get. He tensed his feet and dashed forward, ramming her head with his own. As their heads struck he heard Katarya in his mind, like she was there beside him "Don't die." Then there was blackness.
Word count: 791
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat did as she was told, and began to run, heading towards the Goose with the box under her good arm, while pain radiated from her right wrist. When the blood from the cut in her head ran into her eyes, she cursed.

Of course, there were people around her, all of them staring, some shouting for the guards, some even asking if she was alright.

No, she was not alright. Her pendant pulsed against her body. She had barely had time to take in the scene with Marcy and the mage ... for the man had certainly been a mage, even without his displays of power over Marcy ... something that had looked rather fruitless on his behalf, she could almost smell the magic oozing from him. This was no ordinary spell-caster; he was the real deal. And to cast such magic right in the street of Fellsguard? Did the man want to be locked up ... 'Or does he have friends in high places?' She thought.

Her running came to an abrupt halt as Nyx descended from the sky, the familiar calling out in guttural cries. 'Turn back? By Artemis said ...' She stopped for a second, quite unsure, but Nyx was insistent.

"Dammit!" She said, and turned back around.

What she found when she returned was a dead mage, and the bodies of her two friends on the floor, almost tangled up together. Marcy had blood on her, though it wasn't clear whose blood it was, and a nasty looking bump on her head. On the ground was a curious item; a crystal ball with a heart inside. It was a bloody mess, but her trained eye knew a heart when she saw one, but she had no idea what it meant.

Luckily, they were both breathing, though both looked very much worse for wear. She might have stopped in shock, but Nyx was hardly going to let her master indulge, just now, and flew right to Artemis, standing next to his head and cawing out at Kat.

'Right ...' She hurried to his side and took his chin in her hand, moving his head slightly. Just knocked out ... but what could she do? She had so little energy left, but ... "Needs must." She muttered. Placing a hand on his brow, she took a deep breath. 'On the fly' magic was not her speciality; she was a person who made charms, enchanted items, concocted potions. Pure spell casting had never been her strong point. But she had little choice.

As she poured everything she had left into the spell, the air around her seemed to draw in slightly. "Cuivië", she whispered the Elvish word for 'awaken', letting some of her failing strength pour into him. It wouldn't have him jumping around, but it should be enough to get him on his feet. For good measure, she also gave his cheek a short slap. "Come on, Artemis." She said.

Her body sagged as the energy left her. She knew, with a sinking feeling, that she was out of magic for now. A good meal and long sleep would be needed before she was going to be pulling these kinds of tricks again. As he stirred, she glanced at the crystal ball and on a whim she grabbed it, putting it into the box, grimacing as she did so, then grabbed Artemis' arm. "Come on! We have to go!" She could hear shouts behind them, getting closer.

The spell might have got him to his feet, but she hadn't the strength to full restore him. Right now, it would be like he was sleep walking. All Kat could do, with a sharp stab of guilt over Marcy, was to pull him with all her strength, off into the direction of the Goose.

Etiquette was out of the window as Kat pushed through the door of the Goose, straining to keep on her feet as she shouted for help. Artemis sagged, crumpling to the ground as the spell was spent. "We were attacked!" She cried, stating the obvious. "Marcy is still out there! Someone please help!" She slumped into a chair, setting the box on the closest surface, and looking with deep concern at Artemis' still body. 'By Ny'tha; let him be okay ...' She silently pleaded.
Word count: 715

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Everything was cold and sharp. Like laying on a pile of rocks. Artemis' eyes snapped open, and he stood. He looked around and saw only an endless expanse of white. He tried to shout out, but his voice sounded far away. 'Is this what death is like?' he questioned as he looked down at his body. His hands and feet were blurry as if turning into mist caught by the morning sun. He felt a rising panic set in as he began to burn away. 'I'm not ready. There's too much to do!' he frantically thought. Then the pain came, and the blackness returned.

Two large men, the picture of underpaid dockworkers, rose from the nearly empty tables as Katarya burst into the Velvet Goose. They both moved towards her with hands raised in a placating manner. "Now miss, you can't come in here," the first said, as he moved towards her.

"Ahm'kela's arse, that's a Hand!" the other worker shouted abruptly. There was a flurry of sound from the kitchen, and the two men pushed past the Witch to lift up Artemis' collapsed form.

"Get the healer, he's cold as a fish," the first worker said as they hustled through the kitchen doors, the Thief's limp form between them.

A third broad-chested man moved to intercept Katarya when she made to follow the pair. "Miss, you can't-" he started to say. Kat's eyes narrowed at the suggestion she leave Artemis' side.

"I'm not going anywhere, thank you very much! He's my-" she paused, before forging ahead. "Well, I am a healer, after all." She was unwavering, seemingly heedless of the rivulet of blood that marred chin, and the bruising developing on her forehead. "If you want me out of the way, you'll have to drag me kicking and screaming."

The worker backed away, cowed by the intensity of the Witch's response.

In the kitchen, a large stone prep table was cleared by several staff members, and an exhausted-looking, and somewhat paler than usual, Robert was hustled into the room from the servant's stairs. He seemed to snap awake when he noticed the blood coming from Artemis' mouth. "What in the-," he started to try and unbuckle the armor on the patient, but it wouldn't budge. "Damn it all, he's still active," Robert said as he dropped the leather strap. "Help me get him on his side," he said, heaving at Artemis' uncooperative form.

One of the workers pushed Artemis up, and Robert reached behind the Thief's neck to fumble at something there. There was a pop, like a water bladder bursting, and suddenly the entire room became much louder. Robert yanked the hood off Artemis' head and shoulders while a worker tugged at the straps of his chest armor.

As soon as he got the cloth hood away, Robert winced and advised the worker to move with care. "That is a very large knot to be on the head," he said, looking closely at the discolored bump forming on Artemis' forehead. He looked over and spotted Katarya hovering nearby. "Do you know how this happened?" he asked her, a tinge of desperate concern in his voice.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 12th, 2019, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 529
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat strode into the kitchen without giving the brutes another look. Though her anger might have gotten her through the door, it would be her desperation that kept her there.

She had no idea what they were talking about, so, despite wanting to push them all out of the way, she watched with a careful eye.

The Witch had not known what kind of response she would have gotten, turning up at the Goose like this; she was certainly bringing trouble to their door, that was for sure. Though maybe they were used to this kind of thing.

She felt a bit better when Robert appeared. Sure the man looked exhausted, but the look of concern on his face made her feel a bit better; at least someone gave a damn about Artemis enough to help. When the magical armour was removed, Kat felt a sudden tension in her lessen, even though she hadn't been really aware of it. How had Artemis got his hands on armour like this?

Kat stood at his side, making room with pointed glares, and looked down on the patient. Now that the hood was gone, she stroked his head gently. 'This is all my fault. First the incident with Mr. Tailor, and now this ... all because she wanted her box back. She shook her head, trying to push such thoughts from her mind for now. At this moment, she needed to be as clear headed as she could.

"I have no idea." She said. I came outside and there was this man .. a mage. Marcy and Artemis were fighting him; it all happened so fast." She glanced around. "Marcy is still out there. I didn't have the strength to get them both back here, and I don't think I have it in me to go back and help." She wanted to use her magic to help Artemis, but she was spent. Plus, she had no herbs, potions ... nothing. She felt helpless.

"When I ... helped him," she said, carefully, not wanting to expose herself to anyone who might not take kindly to keeping company with a witch, even here. "I didn't sense any curse or such. I believe he is just unconscious and, well ... drained. I don't know what happened between the three of them, but it feels like the life has been drained from him. Thankfully not completely." She explained, as her eyes were set on Artemis' face.
Word count: 404

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Robert shook his head in frustration, "Of course no one actually saw the mess they got themselves into," he said as he glared at the unconscious Thief. "Fine then, we do it the hard way." Robert waited a moment for the worker to finish removing Artemis' chest plate, and then clapped his hands together, and there was the sensation of a seal being broken as magic permeated the room. Ghostly green strands of light coalesced and wrapped around Artemis. They tightened, taking his shape before Robert yanked them away.

A faint green figure stood in front of them, hazy like roiling mist. It was rigid for a moment but then began to move. The ghost Artemis had his hands out as if trying to calm someone. Its mouth was moving, but no sound came out. Then it doubled over as if struck, and the figure's torso lost much of its solidness. There was a moment of stillness. The ghost flailed his right arm and then moved his mouth again. Suddenly the figure bent his legs and shot forward, a mass of mist evaporating from its forehead before it crumpled in a heap on the ground.

"The fool headbutted her," Robert shouted in exasperation. "Like he's some kind of battering ram; he just smashed forward. Idols take him." He shook his head sharply and moved to inspect Artemis' chest. The chest of the body no longer rose and fell, it was as if he had truly become a corpse. "This is going to take time, days at least. Even if I give him a full bottle, it will only knit some of him back into place," Robert said, his hands moving carefully over the heavy bruising on the Thief's chest and abdomen.

He moved to the body's head and lightly touched around the raised bump. "This I can fix, but his memories will be shredded for another day or so," he said, a hint of confidence eeking back into his voice. Robert clapped his hands for the second time, and the eerie mist filling the room rushed back into Artemis' body. There was a shudder, and the Thief's chest began to rise and fall more strongly than before the magic took hold.

Robert moved to a nearby cabinet, and after a few moments of loud clinking returned with a wide-bottomed bottle of dark black liquid. He broke a wax seal on the bottle, and the scent of tar and blood filled the room. He carefully guided a portion of the liquid into Artemis' mouth. The Thief shuddered and gasped, but remained unconscious. Robert turned to Katarya. "Give him this, two fingers worth every six hours. When he wakes up, start feeding him and let me know," he said to the Witch.

Then he noticed her hand and gently lifted it with a finger under her arm. "I can't fix this, too much magic too recently. You'll need to do something about it yourself," he said before turning away from her towards the door he'd entered from. "He better pray to all the gods that Marcy's still alive when he finally wakes up. Otherwise, I'm going to rip his soul out and use it to turn the spits," Robert grumbled loudly as he trudged out of the kitchen.

The two burly men from before approached and nodded to Katarya. "We'll get him to a bed upstairs, Miss. You should get some rest too," the first one said to her as they moved to lift Artemis off the preparation table. With careful coordination, they carried him to the servant's stairs and up into the Goose.
Word count: 602