I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Katarya and Dáire are contracted to retrieve a special item of great value to Aurae, Mistress of The White Hart tavern.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat opened her eyes as the knock on her door brought her out of a pleasant dream, and the empty space beside her, where Artemis would be, only deepened her sigh as she sat up in her bed. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and yawned. Yes?" she said, a little irritably.

"Ealárea wants you downstairs," the voice of a young man said, through her door. Then more hesitantly: "She said, to be as come as soon as you were ready."

Which meant 'right now', as it was Ealárea. The Elf who doled out the contracts that kept many aspiring adventurers in bread and cheese was not one whose orders were ignored ... and even her suggestions were simply orders said in a nicer way. "I'll be right down." She called back, and swung her legs out of bed.

The room that was no her own, since she had taken up permanent residence at The White Hart, was simple, but functional. She had a bed (not quite a double, but she never truly minded sleeping so close to Artemis), a desk and chair, where she could spend time in her studies, a sturdy trunk and a rail for her clothes. On her desk was a trinket box, in which she kept the earring Artemis had given her, along with a replica made of simple stained glass, so she might have symmetry, but even though the work had been very good, the enchanted piece he had given her was truly superior to any trained eye. She put the earrings in, her hand lingering over the real one, and smiling as Artemis' face immediately came to her thoughts. 'See you soon, lover.' She promised, silently.

Knowing Ealárea would be growing more impatient by the second, Katarya simply knotted her hair from her face, threw on some clothes and headed downstairs, calling Nyx who came to rest on her shoulder.

The main bar of the tavern was empty at this early hour, and Kat so the young witch made her way into one of the function rooms that folk (Elven folk) could hire out for private parties. Since most of the Elves who frequented the tavern were mainly broke, they were usually used for meetings of the 'higher' members of the tavern's staff, and also where contracts would be offered and negotiated.

Pushing through, she found Dáire sitting at a table across from the older Elf woman. He had been summoned too? And of course he was on time ... he was always the first of the two to be up and about. Kat already missed her bed. "Good morning, Ealárea; Dáire ...

The contractor gave her a look, one brow raised as she spoke. "Yes, I believe it is morning, though only just. Thank you for coming; I was about to send out a search party."

Kat dipped her head like a teen just given a lashing by her mother. "My apologies, Ealárea. I had a late night.

"When do you not have a late night, Katarya?" The woman shook her head. "Never mind; you're here now, hurry up and sit. I have other things to attend to, but this is quite important."

Kat took a seat. "You have a job for us?"

Ealárea gave her a pointed look. "No, dear. I just thought we'd just sit and have breakfast together, and talk about our feelings ..." She shook her head. "Honestly!" Sitting straight backed and formal (she was basically Kat's hero), she looked at them both through dark, wise eyes. Despite her outward demeanour, there was a depth of kindness there, though woe betide anyone who pointed that out. "I do have a job for you, yes. It is a contract from Aurae, personally."

That got Kat sitting upright. Aurae wanted them to help her?. It was shocking that a woman like Aurae would need help doing anything! The head of the Hart was a legend among the Elves of Fellsguard.

Ealárea seemed to notice. "I see I have your attention." She said, dry. "Aurae has found out that a certain wealthy business man has got an heirloom that once belonged to her mother ... a most magnificent she-Elf, the likes of which are rarely seen today, and she would like it 'retrieved'." She said, giving them both a pointed look. "The retrieval process should be efficient, and not draw any attention to I'l Fana Kelbé, do you understand?"

Kat nodded along with Dáire. "How do we do it?" She asked.

Ealárea gave her one of her famous 'withering looks'. "My dear, I hand out the contracts and you fulfil them. I am quite sure you can come up with something. I will, however, answer any questions you might have to give you the best chance of success ... provided they are not stupid questions." She looked between the two. "So ... shoot your arrows and aim for the bulls-eye, children."

Kat glanced at Dáire ... she'd let him go first on this one!
Last edited by Katarya Frost on October 17th, 2019, 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 839

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'?

Post by Dáire »

Dáire gave Ealárea what he hoped was his most charming smile as she finished giving them a good admonishment. He’d always like this older elf; thought he was certain the sentiment didn’t go the other way. He’d been a fumbling youth when they met, and no one had ever scolded him more in all his years. Her eyes narrowed slight at him, daring him to say something he’d know would irk her. He’d changed a lot since then, but he still enjoyed the past time now and again.

He scanned through the contract quickly, meeting Ealárea’s deep brown eyes over the top of the parchment. “She wants us to relieve – one of the most prolific men in their society, his wife, of a very special, very valuable old bracelet?” Disbelief laced his tone, his cocky air of earlier all but gone. He numbly handed the contract over to Kat as his mind raced.

Ealárea, I need you to source some capable, and trusted associates to retrieve my family’s bracelet.
It was lost during the destruction of the original tavern, I believed everything destroyed. How ever it appears that the ruination of our lives was merely to cover the robbery that had taken place.

I will advise that they should have someone of magical knowledge in their employ, the bracelet is by nature magical, now existing with centuries worth elvish magic layers on top of its innate power.
It’s currently in the possession of Noble man, Josep Dirge, the primary peacock of north town.

He attends many social events and should be easy pickings for some of our acquaintances.

The reward shall be generous at 1 gold coin, but should they fail I fear the price will be very steep.

He knew that nobles home, it was like a fortress. That would never be an option, despite how much he wished it could have been. “Do you have a copy of his scheduled appearances or is that something I need to obtain?”

The exasperated look that fell over the Elf’s face like a blanket, answered that fairly plainly. What else could he ask now? He knew he was unlikely to get another opportunity like this one.

“Did she elaborate to you what sort of magic is on the jewel?” He enquired, cocking his head and hoping there was more to go on.

“Child you know as well as I do that we have no had magic for several centuries now, our families were vast before, we know nothing more about the magic - other than what she has listed there for your convenience.” she signed in obvious frustration with his ‘stupid’ questions. Dáire felt like he’d gone back in time during that moment, and like a child, he avoided making eye contact with her, merely shrugging his shoulders to the witch sitting beside him. He’d have intel to gather before he would have less stupid questions, and Kat was the one who knew what magic his sisters’ dagger had contained, so she would most certainly be better equipped to tackle that issue. Hopefully with questions that weren’t deemed stupid.

The familiar thrum returned to his body as it all sank in; he had a task to do and he was itching to start his role in it all.
Last edited by Dáire on October 19th, 2019, 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 563
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Re: I'l Fana Kelbé (The White Hart) Contract: 'Retaking a Memory'

Post by Katarya Frost »

Ealárea shook her head. "I know little more than is on the contract," she said, as Dáire asked his questions. "This is important, especially for you, Katarya. It will go a long way to helping your standing here, young witch." She rose from her chair. "I advise you not to her Aurae waiting. Now, I have other contractees to speak to. I'm sure I can leave this in your capable hands." She gave them a nod, then swept from the room.

Kat turned to the contract and frowned. Josep Dirge, well ... I suppose it's better than shooting ghosts or trekking around the countryside in the mud and rain ... but this is going to be difficult to pull off." She glanced at him. "How confident would you be about scouting out his estate? I can do a little investigation on the social side of things; I still know people who move in those circles, and might be able to come up with something."

She sat back in her chair, running her fingers through her hair, then beginning to organise it up into it's usual braid. "It's be handy if we could pull this off. I know the boss here is still a little wary at having a human under her roof. This might help!" She traced her fingers over the contract. "And that's not even taking into account the reward! That could see us quite comfortable, for a while."

Turning to Nyx, she stoked the raven's chest. "Go to Artemis." She said, taking a piece of parchment from her bag. She wrote a little note upon it, then tore off the strip and gave it to her familiar. On it was written: 'Meet me in North District by fountain after noon time. Dress well.'. She glanced at Dáire as she did. "Artemis, or someone from the Goose, might have some inside information; might as well use whatever resource we can for such an important contract ... just don't tell Ealárea that I'm involving more Humans."

Her mind was ticking; she'd have to make herself look presentable before she headed to the North district. "Let's do our homework, and then meet back here and try and come up with a plan; sound good?"

Nyx wound through the city streets, her glossy black wings beating against the chilly wind as she made her way over the early morning crowds and, with a surprising sense of going in the right direction, found her target walking near the North Gate. The raven dropped down to land on Artemis' shoulder with a welcome and happy warble. It seemed she had missed Artemis just as her master had. She raised one foot, with the note attached, and nuzzled his cheek.
Word count: 457

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Nyx was strong, and smart. She felt the winds carry her gracefully as she hunted for her prey. Then she swooped down, silent and dangerous, to alight on Blueberry’s shoulder. Give, food, scratch, listen, take, return. She flapped hard, escaping the cold windless ground to lazily float along the wind above. After many flaps, she swooped downward towards her master, in the place with the no-berry-sharers.

With a final lift of her wings, Nyx landed gracefully on the window sill and tapped lightly at the table. She presented her leg for message taking and warbled Artemis' message.

"Hey girl, hey Beaky. How are you?" Artemis said, taking the parchment and scratching her head. "Damn it. What does this say?" he muttered, giving the parchment to the brown-haired woman. 'Blueberry!' He writes with it on the parchment in small fine block letters before strapping the scrip to Nyx's leg. "Go back, Beaky.”

The message is short but has no punctuation except in Mr. O'Dell's name, "Okay Late O'Dell". It almost seems like the entire message was stamped, but he'd clearly written it with his thumbnail.

Nyx presented her head for scratches of appreciation. She was very good at her job.
Word count: 201
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Hearing her familiar, Kat got up from the table and opened the window, letting Nyx hop onto her arm. She returned to her seat stroking the bird's chest.

"She's a beauty." Raen was one of the servers at The White Hart, and one of the few Elves who had accepted her right from the start, while the others were taking their time in getting used to having a Human live amongst them. The handsome young Elf had a shock of blond hair, and his tattoos were very graceful; stylised images of birds among vines. "It must be handy to have a pet like that."

Nyx let out a croak of indignation and Kat laughed. "He didn't mean to offend," she said to Nyx, before turning back to Raen. "Nyx is more like a companion to me; she's not like a cat or dog. She can be very wilful at times too!"

Raen grinned. "Just like her keeper, then! And just as pretty."

Kat rolled her eyes, but she smiled, regardless. Turning back to the raven, she took the message, then looked to Nyx. "Mind if I take a peek?" When Nyx warbled in response, Kat closed her eyes and reached out to her familiar's memory.

The memory was all shadows and mist, with flashes of sights she had seen along the way; other birds (Kat could feel Nyx's disdain for them), people going by, rooftops ... then she saw a flash of Artemis' face, and then of Ksenia. Opening her eyes, she scowled. "Her."

Raen raised his brows, questioningly.

Kat shook her head. "Nothing important; just sight of Artemis with a woman I dislike, and who I am pretty sure hates me."

The young Elf tutted. "Another woman?!" He said, though he was grinning. "Maybe you should respond in kind? I'd be happy to oblige ... out of a sense of duty, of course."

Laughing, Katarya rolled her eyes. "How flattering! But you will forgive me if I decline that most romantic of offers." She took a drink and let Nyx settle on her shoulder. "What would your family and friends think if they found out you'd been tumbling around with a Human woman?

But Raen was not deterred. "You're an Elf-friend; I doubt they'd chase me out of town." He leaned forward. "What people don't know, doesn't blister ... including this man of yours."

"You're a scoundrel, Raen; has anyone ever told you that?"

The handsome Elf raised his hands, defensively. "You wound me, Katarya ... but it has been said before."

Kat got to her feet; she had to make herself look presentable if she was going to go to the Northern District and do some digging on she and Dáire's mark. "A title well earned. Besides, I am sure there'll be yet another young maiden in your room this evening, Raen." She patted his arm as she passed him. "Ve lle lisse' lambe ten' edhel lindissë! {"Save your sweet talk for Elven maidens"}. She made her way out of the room and up the stairs, Nyx chattering in amusement on her shoulder.

Suitably attired in a new dress of dark blue, and lace shawl, Katarya made her way to the Northern District, walking the scenic streets, taking in the views of the beautiful estates with their sculptures and water features. She was looking for the house of their mark, Josep Dirge ... she had heard of him, a minor member of a noble house, but famous for his elaborate dress sense and for wearing more jewellery than most any noble lady.

She had given Nyx instructions before she had left: "If you see Artemis, or if Dáire needs to see me, let me know." It was useful to have eyes on the sky, in fashion.

Now, where would Lord Dirge's house be?
Word count: 632

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis walked just slightly ahead of Ksenia as they approached the marble fountain square located along one of the many North District promenades. They were around a quarter-hour late, but he imagined it was likely worth it. He had the clothes he required the remainder of the day's business.

He was, in fact, wearing the best clothing he now owned, a tailored long coat in light charcoal, a fitted men's vest in deep patterned blue with a white shirt underneath, high-waisted trousers in the same light charcoal, and black laced shoes, all topped with a fine looking silk hat. He was also carrying nine very reachable daggers.

All of this was courtesy of Mr. O'Dell's long standing belief that his debt holder should look like they could afford to lend him the money. The man was full of pride, it was why he had so much debt. He also ran a successful haberdashery in the most expensive district.

As he moved towards the fountain, he scanned the scattered milling nobles, servants, and visitors. No one stood out to him, so he took a glance skyward. 'There she is, and there she goes,' he thought as he spotted the languidly hovering raven. Which meant Katarya was likely off snooping at something or had gotten distracted. He shrugged and moved to stand beside a shaded bench overlooking the fountain. "She's near enough, and we are a tad late," he offered to Ksenia by way of an explanation.
Word count: 246
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat was idling along, wondering it must be like to live in such beautiful and spacious estates, when a cry from Nyx above her, caught her attention. Artemis. She turned on her heel and moved off.

Kat approached the fountain, her steps slowing as she spied Artemis ... and Ksenia. 'He broughther?' she could have smacked him ... but instead she plastered a pleasant smile and stepped towards them. Good afternoon," she said; giving Artemis a quick kiss on the cheek (they were in the Noble Distract, after all; it wouldn't be proper to have flung herself at him. "And may I say what a gentlemen you look today," she grinned at him. "Careful though, I may get used to it and want you in them all the time!"

Her eyes moved to the seamstress. "And Ksenia! How are you?"

The witch motioned at the seats arranged around the fountain. "Shall we?" She smoothed her dress down as they sat, not wanting to wrinkle the fine new dress; it had been the first proper item she had bought with her own money, and she was proud of it. Though not normally given to vanity, she had obviously made some effort today. "Thank you for coming." She said, rather formally. "The White Hart has given myself and Dáire a contract, and I was wondering if you might - for some payment, of course - be willing to chime in, if you have any ideas. It's kind of a big one, for us. All I'll say is it has to do with stealing something from a lord of one of the Noble Houses. I won't say any more, if you don't want in, but if you're interested, I don't mind sharing what we already know ... which isn't much, I'm afraid."

She had kept her voice low, but not so much that it would be so conspicuous; even Nyx kept to the skies while they were in this part of the city.
Word count: 329

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis noticed Katarya approaching and opened his arm out to her. He'd seen high-class gentlemen do much the same often enough. A light side hug and a kiss on the cheek. The fare of the prudish upper crust. Then he saw her spot Ksenia and how her features fell before cold mask shuttered down onto her expression. There was clearly something that needed to be handled before it turned into a fully festering wound.

He let her have her talking, only grimacing and gripping the table when she said, "... do with stealing... Noble Houses." When she finally finished talking, he smiled at her, and took her hand, gently kissing it. He'd seen nobles do that at odd times too.

"I would be rather interested, Miss Frost, in acquiring through means as you suggest. Though, I must say I'm concerned you harbor ill will towards my associate. If such a thing is occurring, I'd appreciate words with you in an effort to nip it in the bud. I imagine her skills would be critical to our success. Perhaps we could have this discussion over a fine wine?" he asked her, affecting his most practiced high-borne cadence and vocabulary. He'd heard it often enough and made a mockery of it over more than a few barrels worth of ale in his life.

"Also, I am terribly interested to meet this fellow you keep mentioning. He sounds like a reliable sort," Artemis added after only a brief pause to adjust the lower edge of his vest. 'Need to practice the sitting part so that doesn't float away again,' he thought as he tugged the fabric back into place.
Word count: 276
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat raised a brow as he mentioned her having 'ill-will' towards Ksenia. 'Ill will? The last time she spoke to me she was shouting at me for being loud while I had sex!' But she wasn't about to say that out loud. Instead she patted Artemis' hand. "There's no ill-will on my part, she said, and nodded to Ksenia. "Though wine does sound rather lovely. As for Dáire," she lowered her voice, and tried to emulate his way of describing the situation. "He is currently surveying an important location, though I am sure he'll join us as soon as he's done. To be honest, I think the contractor would have preferred it, if he had worked alone. But to pull it off, they needed a human to play a role."

She rose to her feet. "Where shall we go, to drink and scheme?" She said, with a smile. "Somewhere we can talk without the whole city listening in on us, preferably." She glanced up at Nyx; seems like Dáire was still scouting. She had time for a cup of wine ... or two.
Word count: 185

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

"Perhaps a simple miscommunication, I'm sure we can all come to terms that are agreeable," he said to her. When she rose, he stepped up to offer her his arm. Once they were ready to walk, he leaned into her ear. "I promise I'll stop once we get there, but I need the practice," he said in his usual whisper. Then kissed her neck lightly before beginning to strut like a proper escorting gentleman.

"I was thinking of the lovely place with the lamb, you remember. Quaint, but the food was truly in season," he said, again adopting his gentleman's voice. He hoped Ksenia was following them. He knew a noble would never even think to look back at house staff.

They arrived at Fenn's just as the lunch rush had ended. There was a wave of people filtering into the streets, offering friendly hugs and smiling goodbyes to each other. This was why Artemis chose the place, it catered to the individuals who couldn't always be themselves and had delicious food to boot.

When the made their way inside Artemis noticed the hostess was the same server girl they'd met last time. She flashed them a smile as she greeted them, "Hello, and welcome to-" Her face went pale as she saw them, dressed as if proper people. "Oh my goodness, I didn't know. Please, let me take you to the private dining. I promise I didn't know," she said, her eyes shimmering with held back tears.

Artemis held up a hand and stepped forward, taking her forearm gently into his palm. "We're not, and there is no trouble. Merely players, here to experience the finer things. You had the right of us. We'll sit upstairs if necessary, but are not those sorts of people," he said to her in a calming gentle tone. He looked like he'd pushed back terror many times in his life.

Color slowly seeped back into the woman's face and she laughed nervously before fanning herself. "You've done me a terrible fright, sir," she said to him, gently clapping his shoulder. "I thought I was off to the mines for slighting you."

He smiled at her and released her arm to step back and stand beside Katarya. "Simply young folks, seeing the sights and getting into trouble," he said to her with a wink.

She checked a small board and then motioned for them to follow her. Soon they were settled into a secluded booth. It was in the far corner of the ground floor, nestled between two large planters designed to disguise cookware and utensil holders.

"Right, so I don't know if there's a problem or not, but sort it. I can't have people at each other's throat if I'm going to be going into a madhouse," he said, settling into the comfortable booth.
Word count: 471