That escalated quickly

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Gailen Boden-Ashdown
Character
The drunken Hedge Knight
Level
25 / 25 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Fighter and Ranger

That escalated quickly

Post by Gailen Boden-Ashdown »

MAC'S/FELLSGARD
Late Afternoon

The streets were still bustling as Gailen rode into Fellsgard. He had a particularly difficult job disposing of some unsavoury characters not far outside the city. He needed to kick his feet up and enjoy a nice pint of ale. Mouse plodded along over the cobblestones towards the trade district. He knew very well where Gailen wished to go. Even his own ears perked up a bit more at the prospect of a warm stall and steamed hay for a change.
"You need some rest too, ey Mousie?" Gailen asked his horse, patting his neck. Mouse snorted and threw his head in response. Gailen smiled at Mouse's enthusiastic response. Their bickering at each other aside, Gailen loved his big grey. The adventures they've had together over the years have been numerous. This was one horse that really looked after his rider - mostly because his rider was normally quite inebriated.

Soon, they reached their destination. Gailen saw to it that Mouse was well looked after before disappearing into Mac's. The inn was quite busy this time of the day. Gailen danced his way around people to reach the bar where he ordered a pint of ale.
"We don't see you here often. You looking for work? the barkeep asked.
"Just got off a job. I'm just passing through. My horse and I need a rest." Gailen answered him.
"You've come to the right place, then, friend. I'll get you a cold one." the barkeep smiled.
As Gailen waited for his drink, he looked about the room at what everyone was doing. At one of the tables, an earnest game of dice was being played. He decided that he might join a round a bit later on. For now, he just needed to kick back and relax a bit. He took his ale and flopped down at a corner table where he could see what was happening throughout the tavern.

@Cassian Thander
Word count: 325
Cassian Thander
Character
Streetrat
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Shapeshifter and Fae
Class: Rogue and Sorcerer

Re: That escalated quickly

Post by Cassian Thander »

Cassian couldn't believe his luck. For once, he wasn't cheating, and the dice kept rolling in his favor. The kerasoka across from him had wrongly called his bluff and lost the game. Again. Cass could feel his alcohol-reddened cheeks hurting from grinning, as he triumphantly lifted the cup off his hidden dice.

The elf wasn't nearly as excited about this, his tattooed face set in a dark, calculating scowl. A long pause later, the man slowly set his own cup aside with a defeated grunt. The pile of coins in the middle now belonged to Cass.

The half-fae whooped, throwing himself at the money to begin scooping. Where to, he didn't know yet, as he hadn't planned to actually win this much. Certainly didn't bring a bag big enough for it. For now, the edge of the table would have to do.

His hand eventually went for the little pearl bracelet atop the pile, the elf's contribution, and then it happened.

"Wait." The kerasoka's muscled hand latched onto his wrist. The motion summoned a wince, unintentionally yanking his arm forward, and the hidden aces flew out of the young man's sleeve.

Both men stood stunned, and Cass felt his stomach drop.

"Cheater!"

He should've taken those aces out before coming here.

"His dice are loaded!"

That was so, so monumentally stupid.

"I knew it." Came a dark growl from the elf.

"N-no." Cass sputtered. "Nonono! I wasn't- I swear! I can expl-" Was all he managed before the kerasoka sent him flying.

The tavern hung in the air for a long heartbeat, before Cass crashed across a table and into another person, his vision exploding into a sea of stars. He heard cursing nearby, and a telltale sound of a table being angrily flipped over, coins clinking and glass shattering.
Word count: 300