The Wilding Ways

In the wilderness of northern Tyivr, chance dances on the end of Kaxitaki's blade for a chosen few.

Tviyr was the first boundary to be created when Fellsgard was freed from Bhelest. There is a diverse magnitude of adventurers that trek through this countryside. Decorated with grassland, coastline, forest, and jungle, it's quite the vision. Read more...
Tazroth Ilix
Character
Level
26 / 26 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ue'drahc and Human
Class: Barbarian

Re: The Wilding Ways

Post by Tazroth Ilix »

Finally - the girl made a mistake. It would distract her for only a moment, but that one moment would be enough.

Tazroth's movements were like a beast. His foot crashed to the ground as he lunged forward and grabbed hold of her wrists - all her agility would do her no good now. Charging forward, he pushed her back, smashing her into the tree he'd run into earlier, and pinning her arms above her head. He looked into the girl's eyes, his own glinting as bright as the moonlight with amber rage.

"Got you at last, girl." Tazroth snarled. "Even if I don't get my hands around that bastard thief's stubby neck, getting rid of one of his lackeys will be a close second."

Taz saw her wings flap back and forth, and even though he kept her pinned tight, there was a pause. A clever fighter would have used those wings as a better distraction, or at least be beating them against his face in an attempt to disorient him. She was uselessly attempting to fly away - what good would it do? His strength was more than enough to hold her down. The girl had skill but was more inexperienced than he'd expected. In fact, she seemed a little too inexperienced.

Taz's eyes scanned the girl, up and down. There was something about her that confused him. She was not of the wild, but a traveler with well-made clothes. There had been instinct in her movements, but guided by a reason within her mind. The contrast was strange enough and could be explained easily enough, but it struck Tazroth as strange in this case considering the girl looked rather young. And as Tazroth realised this, he suddenly realised what it was that struck him as being so odd.

"Your eyes." Tazroth's voice quietened, just a little. "You are afraid, but there is something else. You look at me as though I was not a beast." What was it in those eyes that was so strange? She struggled as if she would die, but Tazroth was sure that she could escape if she wanted to. "Why?"
Word count: 358
Sunde
Character
Level
25 / 25 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ue'drahc
Class: Monk

Post by Sunde »

Sunde grunted at the impact, surprise forcing her eyes open a sliver. Her vision burned still; all she could make out in the blurred darkness were her opponent's bright, fierce eyes—fury ablaze, backed by his snarled threat. She fought harder, flakes of bark flying about as her wings scraped awkwardly against the tree at her back. Her pulse thundered in her throat.

But it was no use. His raw strength was just too great. It was only a matter of time before he moved to break some bones, she thought, and wouldn't that be a terrible inconvenience for someone who wished to explore the continent as much as she. Especially if those bones happened to be between her head and her torso.

Panting, Sunde started to raise a leg, preparing to knee him in the traditionally sensitive area, hoping for enough of a distraction to loosen his grip—but then what he said to her was so unexpected that Sunde's struggles ceased. She put her foot back down, and her wings drooped.

"Huh? But you're not a beast." Her reply was a little breathless from exertion and lingering fear, though delivered with the same flat bluntness as one might say 'winter is cold'. "Are you a beast? You look ue'drahc to me. Mostly. Missing your wings."

Perhaps he did only look ue'drahc. Now that she wasn't actively fighting, Sunde finally took a moment to question her fortune. How good was it that she'd meet another of her kin so soon after setting out from home? Much more likely this man was something else, wasn't it? Her parents' stories had mostly faded from her memory by now along with the decades, but the lasting impression she'd had was that the land was rife with all manner of strange magicks and beings. Stranger than ue'drahc, even. Caution was warranted.

Still, at least it no longer seemed like he wanted to hurt her. Sunde straightened up as best she could with her wrists pinned, blinking mightily to clear the ashes from her eyes.

"Did you call me Bailey's lackey? I'm not. He gave me some of his chicken."

Just to set the record straight.
Word count: 362
Tazroth Ilix
Character
Level
26 / 26 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ue'drahc and Human
Class: Barbarian

Post by Tazroth Ilix »

"...ue'drahc? You think I'm--?" Tazroth's words trailed off as he contemplated. Did she really look at him as a fellow ue'drahc? Her speech was far too blunt - Tazroth was entirely convinced she was telling the truth. The girl he was holding certainly looked to be full-blooded ue'drahc - surely she'd have recognised that he wasn't kin, not in the same way? Or had she perhaps just never seen something quite like him before? "You are naive, but--" Tazroth had been going to say 'amusing', but thought better of it. "--interesting. I am a mongrel - half ue'drahc, half human. I have never had wings."

He might have continued holding her up there were it not for her last words. Tazroth hesitated - of course she'd say it to save her own skin. But the way she said it, and the look in her eyes was sincere - speaking so bluntly despite the fact he could break her neck at any moment. "You're saying you did the bidding of a stranger that you'd never met, because he gave you chicken?" Tazroth stopped for a moment, and then let the girl go, a low rumbling coming from his throat that could almost be recognised as laughter. "If it were anyone else, I'd think you were a fool, but that dwarf seems to have the most damnable luck of any thief I've met. Just when I finally have him, he still manages to slip out from under my fingers."

Taz unceremoniously let the girl's wrists go, letting her fall to the ground. "I suppose I have to just start chasing him again. Not that I have anything better to do with my time until someone gives me another job." Tazroth sighed, turning away from the girl and stretching his neck muscles. "Though I'd suggest finding somewhere better to sleep than the forest bed, unless there's something here you simply have to do."

With that, Tazroth knelt down on the ground, looking for any signs of the escaped thief - these tracks wouldn't get him far but hopefully they'd at least give him some direction, with any luck.
Word count: 355