[Mature] Joining the Family [Completed]

Katarya and Ksenia decide if they want to be officially inducted into the Goose family.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: [Mature] Joining the Family

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis felt like he was falling again. He knew it was a dream, as he'd had it many times before. He'd fall past his memories, his failures, his moments of stolen victory. Then he would reach the blackness and wake with a cold sweat. He didn't pay much attention to the memories as they flew past, they were always much the same. 'Perhaps I can just close my eyes and wait this time,' he thought as the blackness started to creep in. It always did that when the dream approached its end.

Then he felt a sensation he hadn't felt in a long time. A small glowing chain fell from above, draping across his falling form. It writhed and twisted in some unfelt wind. Artemis felt it wrap around him, curling and tightening. Then it hit his chest, and his mind went blank except for one thought, 'Your wings are ready, Mr. Black.'

Artemis woke with a start, a firm sense of purpose filling his thoughts. It was time he took his leap. He looked over at Katarya, sleeping peacefully beside him, and felt warmth spread across his chest. 'Let people will look upon us and marvel,' he thought as he carefully slid out from her arms and pulled on his boots. With practiced silence, he strode from the room and let the door shut gently behind him.

His mind seemed to be so focused that it didn't wander as he moved down the hallway. Artemis did manage to briefly wonder if this was how other people, those who were more driven than he, felt all the time. It was blessedly quiet, but also a tad boring.

Then he was suddenly in front of Cook's door. He knocked a brief song and waited for the telltale click of the lock. When he entered, the man was staring at him, a slight smile on his usually stony features.
"How can I help you, Artemis?" he asked, the smile leaking into his firm voice.

"I'm here to truly take my leap, Cook. I've found my five and can see my path. I wanted to accept in-person," Artemis said, coming to stand beside the table.

Cook nodded knowingly and reached under a small stack of papers. He pulled out a crisp parchment and slid it across the table to Artemis. "Trade lettering, as always," Cook said as he folded his hands.

Artemis scanned the document, absorbing the meanings of the words from his memory. They were all ones he recognized, and soon he could picture the entire document. "These terms are gentle," he said as he realized he'd have a full two years to pay back the contract.

"A gift, for one of my sons, who has finally found a reason to leave my house," Cook said, a faint shimmer in his eyes and his smile broadening to dominate his features.

Artemis nodded slowly, feeling tears begin to well in his own eyes. It was not a banishment, merely a new path. He could still return, even visit often, but his success and failure would be his own. He pulled out his ornate dagger and pricked the tip of his thumb. He squeezed and let the blood dribble outward. Then he pressed his thumb to the paper, sealing it with his blood.

Cook nodded, took the paper to let it dry, and returned to his work. Artemis waited for a moment, trying to find the words to say. In the end, he just slipped from the room and quietly fell back into bed beside Katarya.
Word count: 595
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia woke up to an empty - but still warm - bed. Her clothes lay on a side table nearby, neatly folded. A hand mirror topped the stack of fabric; Ksenia leaned over to pick it up and saw a mark on her cheek. On closer inspection, the mark turned out to be a kiss, in blood. Ksenia rubbed her cheek lightly and the mark began to flake off. Wiping the rest of the kiss off, Ksenia slid off the bed to get dressed. As she laced up her bodice she looked down and noticed a similar mark above her heart. Well, it wouldn’t show, and last night had been surprisingly...pleasant. Ksenia decided not to bother taking the trouble to wipe it off and made her way to the kitchen.

Deb was checking the shelves in the kitchen, humming, when Ksenia walked in. “Good morning,” Deb called and came over to Ksenia. “Sit here, eat. You’ll need to get your strength back.” She put an arm around Ksenia’s shoulders and steered her to a chair near the fires.

“I, um, good morning, Deb, I can…” Ksenia tripped over her words as Deb sat her down. “You don’t need to-”

“I do.” Deb handed Ksenia a plate of breakfast meats and a few wheatcakes with butter. She tugged a small table next to Ksenia’s chair and set a steaming mug on it. “Drink this, too. It’s not tea, but it should wake you up.” Ksenia lifted the mug to her nose and sniffed. A citrusy aroma tinged with an herb she couldn’t quite place rose to meet her. Sipping, she decided it tasted at least as good as it smelled, and began to work through the very generous helpings Deb had given her.

Deb came by every so often to check on her, touching Ksenia’s shoulder or arm as she did. The first time, Ksenia had stiffened, almost instinctively; no one ever really touched her unless it was an absolute necessity. It was pleasant though, and by the time Ksenia wanted a refill of her mug, she was leaning into Deb slightly, like a cat begging to be petted.
Word count: 367
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis came awake to an empty bed. He sighed and gripped her pillow, pulling it close to give a firm hug. His stomach growled softly, and he chuckled at the interruption. It was likely still early morning given he couldn't feel the growling in his bones. He got up, donned a fresh pair of borrowed clothes, and made his way down to the kitchens. This would be the last time he'd have a meal without an exchange of coin or favors. It would be nice to take it among friends rather than alone.

When he strode into the kitchen, he spotted Ksenia. He was going to leave her be, right up until he saw Deborah fawning over her. "Deb, lovely Deb, are you eating my associate?" he asked her, a faint singsong to his voice and an easy smile on his lips.
Word count: 142
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia heard Artemis speak behind her, taunting Deb. Deb let a slow smile spread across her face and put a hand on Ksenia’s shoulder. “And if she is? What difference should that make to you? She’s taken nothing that wasn’t freely offered.” Ksenia replied with perhaps a bit more steel in her tone than she intended.

She drank from her mug, not looking away from Artemis. “Besides, it’s not like she’s sent me off to get killed and let me die, argued with me, caused uproars and alarums wherever I go, or has gotten me into trouble with my employers.” She sipped again. “Or caused a friend to get captured and possibly tortured. No, when Deb does those things, then you can give her grief. Until then, might I suggest you look to your own keeping?”

Ksenia turned away from Artemis and faced Deb. “Breakfast was delicious, thank you.” Impulsively, she hugged the taller woman. “I’ve got some work to do, now.”

"Try to get outside at least some today. The sunlight will do you good." Deb stepped slightly away from Ksenia, holding her at arm's length. Deb gently poked Ksenia's nose. "I'll see you later."
Word count: 202
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis just barely kept his mouth from reaching down to the floor. He knew Ksenia had the capacity for fire in her, but he hadn't quite expected it so early in the morning.

"Fair, but don't get too settled. Mr. O'Dell expects us," he offered Ksenia with an embarrassed smile as she moved out of the kitchen. Then he turned on Deborah with a critical eye. "You didn't pull her into this, I can tell that, but I need her to be able to work as well as she has." He looked at Deb's smug smile and glowing demeanor and sighed. "Not like I can force either of you to do anything I suppose. Can I get some of the same, it's my last meal after all," he said to her as he settled into the chair Ksenia had left.

Deborah blinked at him, her expression still stuck on a pleased smile, but her eyes widening in surprise. "You-" she stopped and shook her head to think. "You took the contract then, becoming your own man?" she asked, bringing him over a plate overloaded with delicious foods.

"I did. Signed it last night, so I could wake up cold and alone this morning," he said to her before stuffing a piece of sausage into his mouth. He chewed while Deborah fussed with some dishes behind him.

"You're not gone forever right, you'll come to visit?" she said, a hopeful tinge to the words over her shoulder.

"I will, more often than I probably should, given the size of my coin purse," he returned before laying into a stack of buttered wheat cakes.

"Well, you best earn some good money then. I'm not letting you work her to the bone or keep her away just because you can't make rent," she said with a huff and set down a cleaned platter harder than necessary. Artemis shook his head and stood, moving to be behind her. He wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her tightly and laying his chin on her shoulder.

"I'll come by when I can, and I won't keep your snack away from you, I promise. After all, how could I stay away from you and your charms," he said, wiggling her chest teasingly.

She laughed and spun around to hug him back fiercely. "They're not yours to ogle any more, you've got your own troubles," she murmured into his chest. She kept him there, her unnatural strength in full effect since her hunger had been sated.

Artemis kissed her forehead and patted her arm. "Send folks my love, I'll try to be back soon for a proper send-off," he said before snagging a final piece of meat from his platter and heading upstairs to catch Ksenia. It was going to be a very busy day.
Word count: 467