Quest - Fellsgard - Smuggler's Holdout

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Wizard

Quest - Fellsgard - Smuggler's Holdout

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

The Bears of the Menagerie, a group vaguely known who do works in defense, exploration, and securing goods have put out a call for able hands to assist them in dealing with a troublesome matter in the city of Fellsgard. Some who will answer have heard the call through word of mouth: agents sending out requests to healer's halls, adventurer taverns, and dockside dives. Others have seen the postings on requests boards just off the beaten path, a well drafted page, the words clean and the language plain and direct. No matter how the willing are gathered, Adventure Awaits.

Experts needed for aid with smuggling and piracy
Pay provided

Seek Commander Islah
25 Saphir Path
Trade District, Southwest

Main NPCs
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Commander Nadia Islah of the Fourth Company was a mountain of a woman and not one to mince words or be idle. She had risen through the ranks thanks to an unwavering capability coupled with a habit of appearing quietly thoughtful where her peers were rowdy. The fact she possessed a shrewd tactical mind and could evaluate a combatant - be they fighter, mage, or healer - from a mile off was merely a side benefit in her line of work.

She stood beneath an open-sided tent, the heavy waxed canvas keeping the chill rain at bay as a pair of thick glass sea lanterns pushed back the dense winter fog of early morning deep within Fellsgard's Trade District. Before her, a thick parchment that had once been a clean map of a nearby warehouse. The unrolled page was now marred with water and ale stains as well as innumerable tactical markings. She frowned down at the page as the faint patter of rain continued around her.

"Captain Urs promised they'd be here- we're running out of time to make sure we get the bastards before they slip away," she said softly to the markings, willing them to coalesce into those who were expected to go in for the actual fighting. "Might have to show them how it's done- they're not here before midday." She chuckled at the words, knowing she had lost the pleasure of wading into battle when she accepted the fur mantle that marked her rank.
Last edited by The Unreliable Narrator on December 19th, 2020, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 368
Calem Sabathe
Character
Khy'eras' Okayest Doctor
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Cleric

Re: Quest - Fellsgard - Smuggler's Holdout

Post by Calem Sabathe »

The rain beat down across the city of Fellsgard. Calem did enjoy the rain from time to time - the sound of rain was lovely, and the rain refreshed the world in such a wonderful way. Calem walked through the streets, noticing a few young children playing in the rain, at least until parents pulled them back inside. It was nice to see the world refreshed in such a wonderful way.

What was more surprising was seeing a few people, even in this rain, putting up posters. 'In this rain? It must be important...' Especially considering the rain could just as easily have washed them away. He stopped to read one of them - 'Experts Needed for Aid With Smuggling and Piracy'. Calem shivered - he didn't envy anyone who had to deal with something like that. Granted, Calem craved travel and exploring new places - but that didn't mean he was about to willingly walk straight into the lion's den that was the seedier underbelly of Fellsgard.

'One of these days I'll be less of a coward...' he thought to himself, sighing, as he scratched his head. 'Still, smuggling and piracy? It sounds like they're looking for some brave warriors - hopefully they manage to find them.' he noted, heading towards his work.

--

"Ah, Dr. Sabathe, excellent timing." Tyrone Lichthart looked up from his ledgers.

"Yes, Elvera said you wanted to see me the moment that I entered, sir?" Calem was admittedly confused - he wasn't aware of breaking any more rules since the last time, and he couldn't imagine what Tyrone wanted him for.

"Yes." Tyrone stood up, and sighed. This was definitely uncommon. In most of the time that Calem had known the head of the healer's hall, he was all but unflappable - that he betrayed even a hint of frustration was out of the ordinary. "I presume you have seen the posters around town, the ones that have been put up by The Bear?"

"The Bear, sir?"

"One of the members of the Menagerie. A group of organisations set up that provide a variety of services around Fellsgard. I was under the impression you'd had a run in with them before, at the Velvet Goose. As for the Bear, they are more the combat arm of the organisation as a whole."

It did surprise Calem - while he'd known about the Velvet Goose, he hadn't realised it was part of a larger organisation. Every time he thought he'd learnt everything there was in Fellsgard, something new seemed to come up to surprise him. There was a lot of this town he'd taken for granted. "I didn't realise there was more to them, sir." Calem wondered how Tyrone knew he'd visited the Velvet Goose - he hadn't exactly told the wily doctor that, but he decided not to bother - of course Tyrone knew, somehow.

"You must learn to look into the smaller details, Dr. Sabathe. But that's irrelevant." There was a moment of silence, and Calem suddenly realised that Tyrone was hesitant about continuing. If his betraying emotion was uncommon, hesitation was almost unheard of from him, and the realisation was a slight shock to the younger doctor. "I...owe Commander Islah of the Bear a favour." Tyrone admitted - his face barely changed, but Calem could see frustration in his features. "Because of that, you'll be reporting to her in order to assist her with the issues the Bear is currently facing. You will be assisting her and following her directives until her current problems are solved."

Calem's face paled slightly. "I'm--sorry, sir? Are you--are you asking me to go and fight?!" Calem's voice shook - usually he was able to keep calm in Tyrone's presence (and plenty of practice had gone into that) but the realisation of what his boss was asking was enough to shake him. "Sir, this is--this is insane! I'm no warrior!"

"There will likely be fighting, true, but I do not expect you to pick up a sword." Tyrone smiled. "Consider, Dr. Sabathe - you are a brilliant doctor, but your experience in the field is minimal at best. If you wish to travel the world, you will need such experience to survive in threatening situations. Commander Islah is a competent warrior, so I have no doubt you'll be safe as long as you listen to her." Tyrone sat down, satisfied at his logic. "You get to help people and learn how to navigate dangerous situations better, Commander Islah gets someone who'll be an expert at patching her and any of her helpers up, and I finally settle my debts. We all win."

Calem didn't feel any more convinced. "All the same, sir, shouldn't you at least send some more doctors with me? Maybe some who have had more combat experience?"

"Perhaps. But most of them are occupied with other cases right now. Those who aren't are too old and at more risk in a combat situation - you're young, you can run away fast enough." Tyrone smiled. "Besides, they're the ones who're hiring - you're more than welcome to complain to the Commander herself if you feel you're being treated unfairly, but I'm not interested in annoying her further." Tyrone went back to his ledgers. "Now get going - I believe you were wanted at 25 Saphir Path in the southwest of the Trade District about, oh, within the next fifteen minutes."

While Calem had wanted to argue further, he could see that Tyrone was plainly back to work - or ignoring him. Tyrone usually wasn't quite so petty; whoever this Commander Isiah was, she'd clearly gotten under his skin. As worried as he was about the situation he found himself thrown into, he also didn't want to run into a situation where he'd get fired. With seemingly little choice in the matter, Calem quickly left the room, gathering up what few materials he could. He had the uncomfortable feeling he was falling less into a combat zone and more one of Tyrone's games, and he wasn't sure which was worse.

--

There had been little time to pack supplies. He'd managed to pack a small bag, full of bandages, medicines, salves and his doctor's tools, which should hopefully be enough to at least provide first aid as long as the warriors were as competent as Tyrone had mentioned. Still, things wouldn't be particularly easy - and he was already worried about the situation. Usually he'd had support the few times he'd worked in a combat zone from fellow doctors - this, as far as he could tell, would be his first time as the only healer.

He was still dressed in the same work clothes - a little wetter now as he'd had to rush to get here on time - but it was enough that he was at least represented as a doctor, if not looking his best. A small tent was set up at the address - presumably, this was where he was meant to go. He looked a bit nervous as he entered into the tent. "Um, excuse me..." he started speaking, looking around. The only other person he could see here was a rather tall woman, seeming to radiate an intense aura around her. He stood more tensely, at attention. "I'm Dr. Calem Sabathe, of the Grace of Cecilia's Healer's Hall. I was told to report to a Commander Islah?"
Word count: 1240
Arnim Falwin
Character
Devotee of the shifter
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Paladin

Post by Arnim Falwin »

The ring of steel is heard during the night as a group of warriors defended against a larger group of enemies. Many folk on the streets at this hour would rather not be within a mile of the law. However, not everyone sought to escape notice. Arnim Falwin was one such individual who instead of running away from conflict rushed towards it. His entrance into the fray was timely as one of the youngest defenders was about to be run through. Fortunately for that person the fae was at the ideal height to prevent the fatal strike with his shield. The retaliation from Esyrax's champion was immediate and a touch brutal. The snap of bone seemed loud in the air as the small fae with surprising strength and speed took advantage of the opening. Rather than draw his sword training took over as he grabbed the attackers elbow snapping the joint making the weapon arm useless.

A blow from behind thunked against his armor narrowly missing a wing. So he turned drawing his sword with practiced movement. The lightly armored foe thought his blow had been successful. Unfortunately before his mind could catch up to the lack of blood it was over. The leather protection was simply not enough against the sword that delivered a fatality in a spray of blood. Then Arnim weighed in to the rest of the battle as the young woman he saved followed covering his back. In the end the paired turned the tide for the rest of the allied warriors.

The foe with the shattered elbow had passed out from the shock of pain. This had saved his life as few lived to be taken into captivity by town watch who arrived in the aftermath. One of the older fighters talked to the watch captain about the incident. It seemed these were wanted smugglers. However, the official law of Fellsguard had been unable to make progress in stopping them so far.

While Arnim leaned against a wall cleaning his sword the one he saved approached him. "Thank you uhhh sir. How did you know who was on the right side of this conflict?" The woman removed her helmet revealing a heavily scarred yet beautiful face.

The paladin laughed with a musical sound then spoke. "Simple Miss, these people were guarding a wagon containing several illegal drugs. I was able to identify a few on sight before I had to act." He pointed at the partially uncovered wagon by way of explanation as he spoke kindly.

"Sounds like your experience is a cut above the norm. We have been tracking these smugglers for awhile. We finally got good information recently. Tell me have you seen the fliers around town?" The woman looked as if she was trying to decide something as she spoke.

"Yes, but I don't know who The Bears are. Though I admit I was considering showing up tomorrow. I am Paladin Arnim Falwin who might you be?" Finished with his weapon he sheathed it an awaited her response.

She gestured at her allies an smiled. "We are The Bears, and this is only one of our duties. I'm Cynthia some call me Maul as a term of respect." She touched her scarred face fondly. "I got these on my first mission."

Arnim took her words to heart, as his wings beat a happy rhythm. "Good to meet you Maul. You should be proud as scars tell your level of commitment." He smiled and unbuttoned his quilted jerkin just enough to show her an old scar over his heart that clearly came from some kind of jagged sword. He buttoned it quickly then took a casual posture.

Cynthia wanted to touch that old wound, but he covered it back up too fast. It would probably have been rude anyway. "I think you should go tomorrow Sir Falwin."

"You know what Maul I agree with you. Thanks for helping me decide." After that he left the young Bear as she smiled. Then he headed to his inn for the night so he could prepare.

The next morning Arnim showed up at the appointed tent moments behind Calem. He had packed some basic healing herbs and wore his usual equipment. He was surprised to see the Doctor show up for such danger. He wanted to greet him, but decided that might weaken the lads standing to the experienced warrior in front of them. "Greetings Commander Isla I am Paladin Falwin at your service." He bowed his head slightly at the woman and positioned himself where Calem could see him. Then he stood straight and disciplined awaiting the person in charge to speak. He couldn't help, but think to himself he had promised to help the young Doctor.
Word count: 792
The Unreliable Narrator
Character
Creator of Prompts and Inspiration
Level
23 / 23 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Ghost
Class: Wizard

Post by The Unreliable Narrator »

Commander Islah looked up from her map and her eyes narrowed sharply at the Doctor and heavily armored Fae shortly behind him. "Presumptive-" she said with a shake of her head at Arnim, "- but not my troops." She finished her assessment of the pair and seemed content if not pleased as her eyes settled on the less armored of the two. "I am Commander Islah, and you two will be enough with the Captain. Your aid of some of the cubs is appreciated Falwin, and your armor will be put to use. As for the Doctor, how familiar are you with combat Sabathe, and how is old Tyrone these days?" she asked with a knowing grin.

Coming from the south, muffled by the dense fog, the heavy tromp of armored boots sounded. Islah turned her focus and offered a brief salute to the armor-clad man approaching. His shoulderpads and a torn tabard of crimson placed him as a companion of the Commander and she gave him a nod as he fell into place a step from Calem and Arnim with a creak of hardened leather.

"Commander, Captain Urs, ready for duty," Sorin said, the thunk of his armored fist against his chest plate almost covering the gravelly growl of his voice. There was a brief moment of silence, only the rain between the two before Nadia rolled her eyes.

"You're late Urs, these two are yours, so you'll be going in quiet. I know you know the route but lets review for your squad," she said and indicated the map before her. With a solid tap on the table, she brought their focus to the edges of the building. "You'll be going in to handle a group of smugglers and slavers, exact count unknown but less than thirty. Your goals are as follows- Secure any slaves safety, ensure the building is not critically damaged, drive out or apprehend all hostiles in the area."

Tapping a series of doors along the outside of the building, she noted the crosses through them. "We know these doors are barricaded, and these are being watched. This here is an unmarked wagon entrance, hidden behind some barrels. We don't know what redecorating they've done inside, don't assume these halls and rooms are accurate. Anyone you push out of the building we'll handle so don't worry for that. Any questions?"
Word count: 395
Calem Sabathe
Character
Khy'eras' Okayest Doctor
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Cleric

Post by Calem Sabathe »

Upon hearing the flap of the tent open up again, Calem turned towards the source. To his delight, it was someone that he recognised. "Master Falwin!" he exclaimed happily, extending a hand towards the paladin. "It's good to see you again, my friend! How have you been faring?"

While he would have enjoyed continuing a conversation with the paladin, the Commander's words brought him back to attention. "M-me, Commander? W-well, my experience with combat is--I have had some work near combat zones, but usually as support. I'm--well, I'm no fighter, Commander, just a healer." If this was some sort of prank on Tyrone's part, it was a rather mean one. "As for Dr. Lichthart, he's--well, he's still the same businessman he always has been. Focused mostly on keeping the hall running rather than anything else."

At this point, Calem wasn't quite sure what he was here for. He'd be near useless in a fight. Still, his thoughts were distracted as another person entered into the tent - another rather tall man, introducing himself as one Captain Urs. "Ah, a pleasure to meet you, Captain Urs. Doctor Calem Sabathe, at your service." he introduced, but before he could say anything else his attention was drawn towards the map.

Challenge Roll: To view this content, you must log in.  ]

The discussion of what was happening made Calem's blood run cold. 'Slavers in Fellsgard...?' True, Calem wasn't so naive as to believe that slavery didn't exist, and of course there was a black market in Fellsgard - but to be faced with the reality of it was something much more dreadful. But at the very least, that was something he could do. "I--I may not be much for combat, but as a healer I have experience with helping people. If it's with regards to slaves, I can provide them first aid and help them escape to a safer area. I'm confident in my abilities to keep them alive." The idea of facing off against a group of slavers was terrifying, but if it was to save people from a worse fate...

The problem was where to expect, well, anything. Where would anyone actually be? Perhaps the larger rooms would be likely where some of the slavers were, but as to the slaves themselves, they could have been anywhere. It felt like there was something tugging at the back of his mind, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was he was missing. Still rather nervous at the idea of confronting actual slavers, he ended up staying relatively quiet, trying not to let his nerves show. "Ah, n-no. Nothing, Commander Islah."
Word count: 433
Arnim Falwin
Character
Devotee of the shifter
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Paladin

Post by Arnim Falwin »

Arnim felt he misstepped with the Commander somehow, but for the life of him he didn't know how. Undeterred he heard Calem's greeting and pushed on. "Good to see you as well Doctor Sabathe." The paladin took the offered hand and shook it with vigor.

When the female officer spoke the fae paid close attention. The newcomer was a tough looking fellow. Having trained as a warrior for about one hundred and thirty years he could tell the man knew how to fight. "Nice to meet you Captain Urs, Paladin Falwin ready to help how I can." The map looked well researched so Arnim studied it as best he could.

Challenge roll: To view this content, you must log in.  ]

The markings on the map made Arnim feel like a pro cartographer. Who ever made the notations had good knowledge of tactical imagery. " I must say Commander, who ever made this map is worthy of high praise." He took it all in and committed it to memory with confidence he wouldn't need another look. "I do have a question. Is it considered legal to use my innate transformation to reduce my size? My armor is not very quiet you see." The champion awaited the next step in his chosen mission.
Word count: 202