You spin me right round

[Closed] For Horus

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Nalnis Gruden
Character
Professional Coward
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Dwarf and Human
Class: Sorcerer

You spin me right round

Post by Nalnis Gruden »

It wasn’t until Nalnis was dropped off at the windmill, waving goodbye to her ride out of the city that she realized how grand lying can be. At first it was a simple bluff in response to a posting about a windmill in need of repair. Could she fix a windmill? Probably. It couldn’t be too difficult, could it? The arms go round on the outside and make something work on the inside, right? Given enough hours surely someone like Nal could figure the thing out. She had the gift of dwarven blood running through her veins, after all. That stubbornness would solve any problem.

Or, so, she had assumed.

It wasn’t until Nal stepped into the dusty interior of the tower that the first sensation of doubt seeped into her mind. The inside air was stale and stiff, as if the windmill was a beast all of its own that was merely holding its breath. With every poke and prod, the half-dwarf would feel a thread of worry be plucked on losing a hand or her head on when the slumbering giant decides to spring to life. Yet, no matter how hard she stumbled at coming to a solution for this job, there was none to be had.

“Something on the outside, then?” She mused while taking a walk about the outside. Standing at the base, looking up at the blades, one couldn’t help but feel small and insignificant. With hands in pockets, Nal looked upon the sleeping giant and- just for a moment- gave a moment to offer her respect to the craftsmanship that has lasted it so. A gentle breeze nudged the halfling on further, however, as it’s chill reminded the woman that the sun was starting to fall from the sky and, with it, her daylight and warmth.

A rickety ladder was found resting aside a back shed and- with much grunting and cursing- was lined up with the lowest blade. The idea was simple: Climb atop the blade and then shimmy further to rest upon the center of the wheel. For there, Nal figured, the problem will be obvious.

Rolling up her sleeves, she ascended. Each step further up the ladder carried with it a suffocating amount of regret. Having been one to live under the earth for years, heights on it’s own was a terrifying creature. Palms grew sweaty as she neared the top, wiping them roughly upon her pants before tossing a leg over the lower blade. She paused, anticipating the windmill to turn out of some cruel jest but it stayed still. Slowly- oh, so slowly- Nal eased her body atop the blade and shabbily shimmied up to the center.

Be it a lack of grace or coordination, it wasn’t until reaching the center that Nal discovered her plans had made a turn for the worst: On the ground below, resting gently upon a bed of grass, was the ladder she just used to climb atop. The halfling stuttered in shock. Had she knocked it over? Had it been the wind? A god? Almost immediately, and rightfully so, calls for help echoed across the empty field. She shouted until her voice went hoarse and the sun had set beyond the horizon. The world fell dark and silent and it was almost with a forlong look that Nal cast her eyes towards the city of Fallsgard- a mere cart ride away- and it’s lights and warmth. Nestled against a blade, knees drawn to chest and arms wrapped around them, Nal felt the tears arising before they began.

Was this how she was going to end? Either found frozen in the middle night stuck on a windmill? Or was she to be discovered upon the ground in morning, a mere toss in her sleep ensuring doom? She didn’t want this. Not in the slightest. She wanted to be home, her real home, and far away from the curse that was this poverty and ill fate. A small sob whimpered forth as Nal wiped away the tears from her cheeks.
Word count: 684
Horus
Character
The Seventh Son
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Korcai
Class: Alchemist and Rogue

Re: You spin me right round

Post by Horus »

Horus dressed in his formal clothes preparing to leave Fellsguard for a few days. This was not his usual business. He had to do what irritated him the most, a progress report. He would change back to more fitting travel garb in his room at the place he was heading. He turned as he heard familar footfalls behind him, that failed to sneak up on him like she hoped. "Isis your still too unskilled to get the drop on me."

The younger Korcai looked a bit embarrassed as she was caught. "Sorry Walid, was just checking your reflexes. Those ghost girls are making you soft. So I just want to make sure you keep your edge. Another council meeting tonight huh."

"Yes Isis, and I remind you the twins have been priceless in achieving our goals. Even more important is the fact that they are reminding me of what being human was like." He saw the woman roll her eyes at his words.

"Being human was pure Hell Walid! Why would you want to be reminded of it? We are far superior to that fragile species." She shook with anger as she briefly remembered her years of suffering as a mortal. "Where are your spectral bodyguards anyway, shouldn't they be with you?"

"Because Isis, in order to deal with mortals you must have some empathy for them." His response to the second question was very straight foward. "They are resting for the first time in a few years. My thanks for their love confessions on Faryv's Dawn exhausted them. So I shall go alone this time."

Isis laughed out loud at his answer. She had heard those moans of pure bliss all last night. "I guess even ghost can't measure up to your stamina." She schooled her unintended expression of joy after a few seconds and continued. "Then take me Walid, it would be better than facing those stuffed shirts by yourself."

"No child they are well aware of your attempts to take control away from them. I have told you many times I don't want to be king of the Korcai!" Anger showed in his features before he adopted a gentler expression. "A group can more effectively managed a society it's that simple."

Isis bit her lip at the scolding she just received. She lowered her eyes and bared her neck as a show of respect. "I'm sorry Walid, but you are over a century older than those that call themselves elders. You literally formed the council yourself to manage the chaos Lady Erair left in her wake."

"You don't need to remind me of my own deeds child. I must get going time won't wait for us to finish our conversation." Horus headed for the door while Isis remained in her submissive position until he left.

Then she stood straight and proud as she thought to herself. 'That attitude of other Korcai first, is why you have so many followers Wahlid.'

Horus wore normal black traveling garb as he dug himself out of a shallow grave. He had left the council late last night. So he had needed a quick escape from the harmful sun. The broken windmill was still inoperable. However, to his surprise a small woman was crying while hanging from the center of the blades. 'Was she some kind if idiot?' He did ponder letting her fall so he could eat without needing to kill her himself.

After a few moments he sighed and rushed over. Fresh turned earth fell away in small particles as he reached the windmill. He grabbed the old ladder on the ground one handed. Then positioned it as close as he could to the woman while acting to steady it for her. "Mortal, I think you might want to use this ladder to get down!" He waited for a response to his yell as more dirt fell from his clothes.
Word count: 652
Nalnis Gruden
Character
Professional Coward
Level
24 / 24 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Dwarf and Human
Class: Sorcerer

Post by Nalnis Gruden »

Nalnis could scarcely believe her eyes. She blinked once, twice, as feet dangled a mere breath away from stepping upon that first rung of the ladder. The halfling sat perched, face marred somewhere between relief and fear as she gazed down at the man below. At first, she didn’t spot the dirt upon his shoulders nor the certain air that the stranger carried. At first, she had assumed that a man- gallant and noble like a knight- had come to her rescue...But first glances can be deceiving, can’t they?

An unsettling feeling started to form at the pit of her stomach. It was something akin to the feeling one has upon an airship when it dips from the sky for just a moment. There was something off about this gentleman. It was as if he crawled out from the shadows on the hunt for something.

Or someone.

“Oh, th-thank you sir.” She called below with a wave to the gent. A smile, false and meek, was screwed into place. “I think I can get down on my own from here. Thank you again! You can b-be on your way!”

Mortal.

The way the word was dropped from the stranger made Nalnis’ skin crawl. Not many good things come from those that separate themselves from the fleeting living. Thoughts of being wounded- or worse, devoured- rushed all at once to the forefront of the dwarf’s mind. So much so that it can nearly make one’s head spin.

No, there was certainly no way she would come down for this perch. It would be no different than a mouse hopping willing into the maw of a cat.
Word count: 280
Horus
Character
The Seventh Son
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Korcai
Class: Alchemist and Rogue

Post by Horus »

Like a leaf on a tree as autumn's cold pushed the green of life out. The mortal woman stood poised to fall to the ground as leaves do yet she hesitated. Horus knew he tended to intimidate those whose lives were times play things. He usually liked to see them cower however, tonight it was just irritating. Normally in these circumstances he would have Mina sing. Something soothing usually fixed things tolerably. Now he had to rely on himself to charm the mortal into saving her short life.

He pondered this course of action as the wind picked up. He could smell a storm was coming with rain, thunder, and lightning likely. So instead of being more gentle with his words he decided to do something easier for him, fear. After all, this woman's life was already short enough with out bringing it to a premature end. "Sure, I could leave and hide in the shadows until you come down. However, wouldn't it be safer to be able to see where I am?"

Then he had an idea that would be reasonably effective. "Of course, I could just go up there where you have few options to stop me. After all, haven't you heard Korcai can fly?" Horus couldn't unlike some of his kind. The alchemist did have an air walk potion if he needed to prove his point.
Word count: 229