Have a drink on me

Verdant Row can be chaotic or peaceful to a fatigued adventurer. Managed by spirits, this town serves as a temporary stop for a person to rest and eat. If there is no trouble about, a stay here is lovely, due to the nearby picturesque scenery. Read more...
Aster Rindahl
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Elemental
Class: Sorcerer

Have a drink on me

Post by Aster Rindahl »

Today was a very aggravating day. She could still taste the salt from the amount of cursing she had done. No wonder why she didn't have to deal with any vagabonds; she had nothing worth stealing. And she had just hauled that stupid piece of junk all the way from the damn mountain. How much did she even pay for that thing? Ugh, the though soured in her stomach, as she recoiled into her chair, avoiding the gaze from the bartender as she carefully counted out her coins.

A day of frustration and disappointment was enough to give anyone a case of cotton mouth. Aster was certainly no exception. And with no books to burn, no leads to look into, and her pocket significantly lighter- and not in a good way, there really wasn't much else that could properly ruin her day. At least not any that she was able to imagine quite yet.

As the mug was placed before her, she flicked the payment towards the man, taking the mug and tilting it back, letting the dry ale twist around in that oddly bittersweet way that ales did. With a wrinkle of her nose, she put the mug down, feeling a little bit of heat on her cheeks. The door cracked towards the opening of the bar, Aster giving a slightly lazy glance to see who may have entered.
Word count: 230
Dessrexin
Character
Luck Dragon
Level
25 / 25 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c
Race: Dragon
Class: Physical and Magical

Re: Have a drink on me

Post by Dessrexin »

Today was the dragon's day to have a break from Professor Zeal's teaching. He intended to check out Verdant Row's fine drinking places this time. As a result, instead of his usual teenager look he was wearing a shape that looked like a human in his mid twenties. His short cropped hair was blonde and his eyes were a particularly vibrant green. He wore what the dragon considered simple travelers clothes. A brown sleeveless tunic and linen pants of a course weave.

At his hip sheathed in a normal hardened leather scabbard was an unusual sword. The hilt was made of bronze with a dwarven 'S' stamped in it as a makers mark. The truly strange thing was the blade was made out of bone that you could see peaking out of the holder slightly. Dessrexin was going to record the tale in his journal behind it when he had a chance. It was one of two swords made from spines on his tail.

The great beast walked thru the spirit town looking for a good place to start his alcohol tasting. It was hard to figure out which buildings were taverns, because of the odd construction. Finally, he found one that was a likely drinking place. At least until he spotted a ghostly elf that seemed to recognize him.

The spirit was blood red and had a wicked grin on his face. He drew two dirks and cackled madly. As the Kerosaka charged him Dez remembered the crazed elf who sought to further his goals thru murder. Johnny was right the journal was helpful in remembering the past. He believed this was what his teacher called a ghost of vegeance. The dragon drew his weapon and held it in both hands above his head, point towards the enemy. He bent his knees and kept himself loose in the face of the charge. Those watching that knew anything of swordplay could clearly see that the blade wasn't a separate entity, but part of him.

The attacker's style was wild and undisciplined. A few mortal travelers stopped to watch the exchange. They noted the blonde man had an interesting style. When he thrust with his sword it reminded some of a scorpions stinger. The slashes he delivered seemed like claw strikes. In the end the battle was short and precise. The ghost was clearly outmatched hitting the dirt repeatedly without so much as a scratch to the muscular human. What happened next was even more shocking.

Dez was tired of playing with someone he had already killed once. "You are a fool, fate saw fit to give you another chance and you squandered it in the same fashion!" The Luck Beast lifted his adversary off the ground one handed as his sword rested in the other hand. Then draconic words were spoken in the form of a spell. "Seeker who will not rest. I banish you to the place where your soul is judged by your deeds. That your final rest may be determined by the weight of your sins." Suddenly, the spirit seemed to collapse into a dark hole then vanish. Oddly there was ten copper pieces on the ground where the elf once was. The victor added the spoils to his purse without any regard for where they came from.

What ghost that were nearby fled in a panic. They feared incorrectly that this human might do the same to them. Meanwhile, Dessrexin dropped to his knees as the strength his spell demanded took its price. He noted to himself attempting magic that powerful in his temporary human body was a very bad idea for future reference. He breathed heavily for a few minutes then stood and went to the bar he had picked out earlier looking quite worn out.

He noticed a woman in a similar state as the flush of alcohol showed on her face. He sat in a nearby chair as her very strange scent tickled his nose. Feeling a need to speak to a living person he decided to try conversing with her. His voice was a soothing baritone as he spoke. "Rough day? I can honestly say right now mine was a real strain." He turned to the bartender as he waited for a response from her. "I'll have the hardest liquor you have got on your shelf sir. Also, another one of whatever she is having on me, for the lady." He was pretty sure Johnny said that was what you do for a female at a bar.
Word count: 755
"My power is bound by three unbreakable rules.
1. I will not force love on the unwilling.
2. I am no assassin if it is murder you seek go elsewhere.

3. you can not wish for multiple wishes only one per visit."
Aster Rindahl
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aster Rindahl »

At first, she disregarded the newcomer, with a harmless shrug of her shoulders. It took a moment for her to register that someone was talking at her. She was too busy stewing in her own misfortune, and there was plenty of noise around to assume that he was probably referring to someone else. Like a barmaid or something. She certainly didn't look inviting by a long shot. Before long though, she was pulled from her thoughts, when yet another glass arrived next to her first mug. She lit up a bit, hovering over it a bit suspiciously. She reached one hand, glancing at both the bartender, and the newcomer as the bartender nodded for confirmation, before taking a nice, long sip with a pleased smirk.

"It sucked. But it's just the way things can be sometimes." Aster mumbled. "Probably a petty squabble compared to whatever you endured however." as she watched the bartender start making.. something? She can smell that alcohol from here. Whatever he was getting was, indeed, going to hit him hard.

Probably would knock her on her ass in one sip.

"Thanks though, I don't have any way of paying it forward though." she warned, frowning. She leaned a bit back, trying to see him through the light of the inn, and eventually reshuffled herself to get a closer look. Hmm. This wasn't working as well as she hoped. Shelving the curiosity for a moment, she opted for manners. Manners were good, right? "Erm, well, my name's Aster." she looked to him. "What's your name?" she twisted herself, almost tipping her glass and frantically reaching for the recovery, exhaling as she placed it back. Oh, thank god, that would have been horrible.
Word count: 285
Dessrexin
Character
Luck Dragon
Level
25 / 25 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Dessrexin »

Normally the dragon would go by Dez when asked a name while in human shape. However, due to the recent bounty on that moniker he had to think of something new. "Drex is a suitable name to call me. Nice to meet you Aster." He was glad she remembered manners, because he had forgotten them again.

When his drink arrived he observed the glass of pale liquid and spoke. "What is this called?"

"Wisp one of our ghost brewers invented it. It lures you in with a smooth flavor then finishes harshly. Also, it's served hot." The bartender grabbed a small piece of cherry tree tender and lit it on a nearby candle.

Curious Dessrexin slowly spoke. "What do you mean served hot?"

It became clear immediately as he dropped the lit wood in the drink. A blue and yellow flame sprang to life. After showing his surprise he blew out the flame and downed it. "I see what you mean feels like I could breathe fire right now." He coffed hoarsely for a few seconds then continued speaking. I like it I will have another."

Dez smiled at the lady. "Care to share what troubled you Aster? I am told talking about problems lightenes the burden."
Word count: 207

Aster Rindahl
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aster Rindahl »

Aster leaned in to hear the bartender's showcase, looking suspiciously at the foggy drink. A ghost brewed it? Sure looked like it. She wasn't prepared for the bartender to spark it to life. She was much less prepared to see the man next to her drink it. Her jaw swung open, threatening to smack the bar. Did he just drink fire?! She stared, blue eyes wide with astonishment, her eyebrows threatening to fly off her face with how high she was raising them. This was especially true after he ordered another.

Aster had heard tales of men with a ridiculous amount of fortitude and moxie. Men who ate metal shavings for breakfast and had a dragon's head mounted in their living room. She didn't believe they were real, until now that is.

She quickly shook her head, trying her best to shrug the buzz from her mind, taking a sip. "Oh.. uh.. I.. made a bad call. I'm a trader. Brought something in from the north that.. wasn't quite as profitable as I thought." She was scammed, more accurately, but that wasn't quite exactly the kind of thing you want to say in front of someone like that. Her ego deserved some sort of last stand, even if it wasn't much of one.

"Again, it happens. Just means I gotta be more careful. Maybe do a little more research. Or pick something a little more reliable. There's good money to be had for those willing to haul stuff around or send messages." Not much, but, enough. "Erm.. uh.. did.. did that hurt?" she asked, her eyes dancing from the glass to his face. "Because, that.. that looked like it hurt. H.. How did you swallow that?"
Word count: 286
Dessrexin
Character
Luck Dragon
Level
25 / 25 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Dessrexin »

The dragon listened intently to her story. He didn't register her shock at how he drank the liquid. "If it helps, I am sorry your deal did not work out. I know I am a stranger to you, but I can say from experience not everyone acts in good faith during business." Of the people that found his cave he was forced kill more than a few of them. Dragon hordes were quite valuable, was his understanding.

The bartender acted in a similar fashion to the lady customer. No one had ever ordered a second Wisp in one night. This was usually because they got so drunk they had to call it a night. Not to mention even the hardiest of patrons waited a few minutes before gulping it. He wished he'd taken that bet earlier that no one could have two in one night. He would have made a real heavy purse if he took the long shot.

"As far as profit goes I can pay well if it interest me. You could say I like collecting unique items." He pulled a large bag of coins from inside his tunic. It was twice the size of his fist and was full of silver and a little gold. It was a very small portion of his horde. "I realize showing I can pay is the best way to prove my good faith in a deal. So how about it Aster, care to show me what you have?" Even if she tried to steal it without his consent. She would be carrying something he could follow anywhere in Khy'eras. He slipped the purse back in his tunic listening to her further questions.

However, he did start to look slightly nervous at her question. Humans were so fragile at times he didn't know how to measure their tolerances. Should he have waited? Was the alcohol too hot? He was sure he had seen humans gulp drinks like that. The transformed man had blown it out first after all. He realized he was taking too long to answer so he responded after hitting his chest a little with one hand. "Oh nothing to worry about Aster. Just clearing out the nose as some say." He was comitted now. The dragon hoped she didn't want one as well. He really wanted to avoid causing her pain if he was wrong. "It is tasty, swallowing was easy. I see why your supposed to take it in one go. That finish is bitter, but refreshing."
Word count: 419

Aster Rindahl
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Aster Rindahl »

Aster's eyes lit up, excitedly. She looked to the coin in his hand, completely forgetting the fact that he just drank liquid fire. She recoiled a bit, blinking, trying to sober her optimism. What were the chances that this person, this completely random man who probably had way more wealth than she can fathom, be interested in her petty little cargo? She took a sluggish turn towards the bar, pushing her lips together. Well, there was always the chance he'd get a kick out of it. They were pretty to look at. And even if he only paid her a part of what he showed her just now, that was way more than nothing.

She could possibly get more cargo. Or at the very least, enough supplies to get to another destination. Her blue gaze settled on her hands for a moment. Answers would be nice. And perhaps worth the risk to her ego.

"Er.. uh, they're in my room." she nodded. "Wa.. wait right here." she stood, staggering for a moment, and making a gesture with her hand. She started to stagger a bit to her room, being extra cautious as to not trip over herself. Didn't need anyone else laughing at her. A few moments had passed, the bartender raising an eyebrow at the hall. Finally, she returned, holding a small wooden box, with rusted hinges and slamming it onto the bar. "Uh.. um.. sorry. Sorry!" she nodded, taking her place back on the stool again.

She glanced to the man. "Umm, yeah. Yes. Right." she croaked opening the box. As the lid squeaked open, it would reveal a small pile of ores. Instead of the normal golds, coppers, silvers.. these ones were flashy, and oddly colored. Blues, flecked with purples, pinks, even a little teal. She picked one up, and tried to angle it in the candle light. "They change colors in the light. They're really pretty.. um, at least, I think so."

She placed her piece back in the box, and leaned into her hand. "It's called chalcopyrite, or peacock ore, is what most people know it as." she paused. "Apparently, the stuff can be found near silvers, golds, and other metals like it. These pieces usually have some of that in 'em, and if you melt it down, can fetch you a pretty penny." she nodded.

"Unfortunately, this batch doesn't have any in it. Not sure if the dude was lying to me, or if I am not particularly lucky. But it's worthless now, and no one here's buying. So, I don't necessarily blame you if you change your mind. Not many people are in the business of buying pretty rocks." she frowned. A bit of melancholy seemed to capture her. She decided to fall quiet and sip on the remainder of her drink.
Word count: 469
Dessrexin
Character
Luck Dragon
Level
25 / 25 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 60c

Post by Dessrexin »

When she came stumbling back down the stairs, Drex felt the urge to catch her if she fell. Thankfully it was unnecessary, because it might have been rude, he was not sure. She was right they were pretty stones. He had never heard a human name for them, but he knew the stone. Properly placed on the chest it could restore lost mana rather efficiently. He supposed with the common fear of magic among the lesser races they did not know. Given the amount of power he had expended outside their value was greater to him currently. However, Aster seemed to think they were not so valuable. Should he try to feed that or fix her misconception of worth?

He tried to be honest in deals so the truth was best he decided. "Well Aster, I am not sure who you bought it from knew its true worth. If you know how, they can recover some lost mystic strength. I hope my honesty in this regard is a boon to our transaction. I will offer thirty copper a pound. If you have at least three pounds I shall throw in a extra ten making it a silver per each three pounds. What do you say Aster?"

The bartender listened while trying to appear like he wasn't. That Drex person didn't appear to pick up on suttle hints. All the better for him, because he knew some people that would love to rob him blind. The guy really fit those claims that blondes are idiots. Talking about such a high end deal in a public place. It was practically the bartender's duty to steal treasure from him. The man didn't understand lives come cheap when enough coin is involved.
Word count: 288