The Sweetest Things Take Time

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Alchemist and Summoner

Re: The Sweetest Things Take Time

Post by Colle Mellifera »

Colle twitched on the floor and groaned softly. "What hap- Harroc?" Their voice was tired and quiet.
To view this content, you must log in.  ]
Harroc bounced his way out of the shower, grabbing a towel and wildly scrubbing at himself with wild and unfocused movements. Then he returned the towel to the hook and strode out into the main room, humming to himself softly.
Last edited by Colle Mellifera on December 7th, 2020, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 57
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Disciples of Balance, Defender of the Woods
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Elemental and Shapeshifter
Class: Druid

Post by Harroc Crownegrove »

They shook their head in fond exasperation and took Harroc's towel to wrap around their waist before venturing out to find Harroc and help Chloe. Harroc appeared to have thought similar, and was attempting to get Chloe’s pants off her legs while she winced and complained.

"Harroc, wait. Can you fix clothing still?" Colle came over and put their hands on top of Harroc's, moving them off Chloe. "Her leg hurts. She can cut them off and then you can fix the pants, okay?"

Harroc’s eyes widened and he moved over to his pack and removed a small rock knife. He passed it to Chloe and grinned in triumph. Chloe looked at Colle, clearly uncertain. "I think you should maybe take this, so I don’t slice myself open like an idiot," she said, carefully offering out the very sharp knife.

Taking the knife from Chloe, Colle studied her pants for a moment. "Sadly, this is not the first time I've had to cut someone out of their pants," they said with a chuckle.

"I can make mine explode," Harroc provided, thrusting his hips and tightening his legs to mimic the movement he’d used previously.

Colle snorted and shook their head. "That's why I hope Vera has new pants for you soon." They pulled the cuff on her injured leg away from Chloe's skin and sliced through it, giving the knife a small flick up to continue the cut. Tugging lightly at the fabric, they continued the cut up the side of her calf. "Doing okay? Not hurting you?" They looked up at Chloe, pausing.

Chloe nodded, not quite looking down at Colle and instead looking towards the far wall intently. "Yep, yep, no problems," she said quickly.

"Let me know if I nick you or something. This knife is absurdly sharp; I wonder how well it'd work in the kitchen," Colle said, watching the light glitter along the edge of the blade before they resumed cutting her pants.

As the cloth parted, they saw small shiny greyish spots on her shin. "That's interesting," they mumbled to themself. The muscle was firm as they held the back of her calf to steady it, and her skin was soft despite having been in the wilds for a week.

Colle slid their hand up her leg as they worked, partly for support. The fabric parted easily around her thigh. They stopped for a moment. "Damn, you Rangers don't skimp on the exercise," they said, admiring the toned curve of Chloe’s muscle. Realizing what they said, they blushed and forced their attention back down to the fabric. "Um, sorry about that."

Silently they finished the cut up to the bottom of the rise and made a cut across to the crotch seams. "You should be able to slide the good leg out without trouble, and there's not much on the hurt leg." Colle set the knife on the kitchen counter nearby. "Do you want help getting down?" They tried to sound as nonchalant as possible despite the fact that a towel was not very concealing.

Chloe nodded, finally looking down and frowning as she caught sight of her injured leg. "What the fuck?" she whispered in confusion.

Harroc came over, attracted by her sudden shift in demeanor, and got down in a crouch very close to her leg before taking it gently in his hands. "This is not beyond what I suspected. I think it can be repaired over time, if you devote practice to modifying essence or encounter a very powerful earth elemental," he said, suddenly sounding much more sober and serious.

Then he looked up at her and let out a loud choked sob. "I am so sorry," he said falling back onto the floor, tears spilling from his eyes.

Colle tried to decide who to comfort first: their sobbing boyfriend or Chloe whose eyes were glassy with loss and confusion. Bending down to Harroc, they put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey. You did the best you could. You're both alive. We can work with this."

They held his gaze a moment, even as the tears blurred the shifting color in his eyes. "Let's take care of what we can now. Right now, that's a shower for Chloe." They gave Harroc a short hug as he sat on the floor before getting up and approaching the woman on their kitchen table.

"I know what he said sucks. I'm sorry," they said softly, putting a hand on her forearm. "Will you let me help you off the table and into the shower? I don't mind scrubbing your back if you want," they said with a twist of sadness to their smile.

Chloe’s eyes snapped into focus, looking at Colle intently. "I mean, I just- seeing it made it real," she said with an exaggerated shrug. "But, if Harroc thinks I can fix it, that’s more than I had yesterday, and yeah, thanks. I think I could definitely use a hot shower."

Colle slid their arm under Chloe's on her injured side. "Okay, put your good leg down and lean on me when you slide off the table. We'll get you over to the bathroom." They braced for her weight as she scooted forward.

She didn't slide off so much as collapse onto Colle. They moved quickly to keep her injured leg from hitting the floor and give her support to stand up. The towel that had been around their waist slid off, crumpling on the floor. Chloe glanced down. With an appreciative smirk, she commented, "Well, hidden strengths indeed. He did say he chose you very intentionally."

Colle snorted. "Honestly, I wonder if it wasn't just the idea of unlimited pastries that got him interested." Tugging the pants from her ankles carefully, they stood and tucked their shoulder firmly into her armpit. "This would be easier if I were taller, but we'll make do."

"Maybe if you gave him those pastries with the whipped cream inside," she chuckled, weaving slightly as she leaned on Colle. The strain of the past days was starting to show on her face, they noted, and let her set their pace.

"Nah, most people don't have custom pastries invented for them. Although I did try this one thing for my sister for her birthday some years back," they commented, putting their arm around her back to help stabilize her steps.
Word count: 1070
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

Chloe wobbled, but caught herself on the doorway. "What'd you do?"
Word count: 11
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on March 4th, 2020, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 0
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

Colle looked from one to the other questioningly. "Okay. I’m gonna - yeah, shower. Feel free to grab water or something to eat." They zipped into the bathroom quickly. If they were lucky there would be hot water and a few minutes of privacy.
Word count: 45
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

"I may want your help," Colle said, their voice muffled against Harroc’s neck and shoulders.
Word count: 16
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

The storm had lessened to the point where Colle woke with the sun as they usually did. Allowing themself a small sigh, they carefully began working their way out of Harroc’s grasp. Just as they thought they were home free, Harroc’s broad palm twitched and his arm wrapped around their waist.
Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on February 23rd, 2020, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 53
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

When Colle reached the cafe, it was still dark, but later than they would have liked. They grabbed their apron, putting it on while walking to the sink. Running through the usual list of morning baking, they sighed, wondering if they’d actually be able to get everything done. They lit the stove and got ready for the first item to bake.

They ran to the cold storage, grabbing the dough for chocolate twigs and the ingredients for the next batch. A wave of dizziness hit them halfway back to the work table. They shrugged as they put their burden down, figuring that the effects of Harroc’s essence were just lingering. They rolled out the batch to bake first and grabbed a mixing bowl to make muffins to give them time to make the next batch of dough for tomorrow.

Moving quickly, they had the tray ready before the oven had finished heating and set it to the side while they stirred the muffin batter and slung it into tins. Cutting butter into the flour for tomorrow’s twig dough, they felt their knees give way for a moment and caught themself on the edge of the table.

Frowning in annoyance, they decided they should talk to Harroc about it after they got home. They realized they hadn’t started their usual pot of tea and set two kettles on the stove to boil while the pastry baked. Twig dough finished, they set it aside and began making a double batch for crescents and fruit pockets.

Colle’s shoulder began to ache as they carried the fruit from the cold storage. ‘Must’ve slept on it weird, or something,’ they mused. Half the dough was already rolled for crescents and they were steadily working through the second half as Poppy came in.

"Didn’t expect to see you today," she said, a little surprised. She shoved her things in her usual spot. "How are you? How is he?"

"I’m fine, but he looked really rough. He ended up stuck in one of his animal forms because he didn’t have enough essence to change back and then he and his student had been poisoned as well, so he’s still recovering from all that." Colle pressed down the side of a pocket and looked up. "His student also broke her leg and with Harroc’s essence stuff, it messed her up pretty bad. Like have to quit the rangers bad."

"Damn. Poor girl," Poppy commented. She glanced over at the cooling rack. "Where are you?"

"Crescents and pockets. Got here late." They turned their head to look at the oven and Poppy stared at them before breaking into laughter.

"I see he’s put his mark on you again," she giggled. "I’ll go grab a platter." Colle shot her a withering look as she disappeared through the door.

The kettles whistled and Colle pulled them from the heat. Setting up teapots, they set up a few to steep before the Rangers showed up, as they expected. The teapot they used held a strong black tea they usually didn’t serve, but drank often for its boost. Checking the pastries, they pulled out the ones that were baking and slid in the tray of crescents.

"Clear me a tray, would you?" Colle asked as Poppy came back into the kitchen. They pointed to the rack, filled with trays.

"Sure thing," she said, taking the tray for the Chocolate twigs and sweeping them onto the platter she had brought. "Voila."

Colle took the tray from her and set the fruit pockets on it, ready for the oven. "Thanks," they said. Cracking their neck, they got the ingredients for cat’s paws, the glaze, and the batch of bran muffins they usually made. Poppy shuffled around behind them, unloading trays onto the platters the cafe used out front.

The cat’s paws came together well, although Colle almost stabbed themself cutting the claws into the pastries. They set the knife aside, taking a large swig of their tea, which had gone bitter with how long it had been left to steep. Sighing, they dumped a heaping spoonful of sugar into their cup and drank again. Still heavily astringent, but drinkable.

They set the tray aside, making the triple batch of glaze they were accustomed to needing. Poppy saw the large bowl and sent Colle a grin. "Bet you’re happy he’s back."

"Very much so." They frowned, looking up and around, as they noticed the kitchen darken. Might be the storm, they considered, as they set the glaze bowl aside. Poppy traded out trays in the oven and Colle watched her absently as she slid the tray on the cooling rack.

"Hello? Anyone home?" Poppy waved her hand in front of their face teasingly.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry. I guess I just spaced out for a minute there," they said, shaking their head with a weak smile. "I’m just about to make your favorites - bran muffins." Poppy made a gagging noise and they laughed as she headed to the front counter. They heard the noise of people coming in, and assumed some of the Rangers were making an early-morning stop before heading out.

They tossed the ingredients into a bowl, stirring and divvying up the batter. Dishes were piling up, they noted. With their late start, they hadn’t kept to their usual method of cleaning as they went. Sighing, they set the muffin tin on the counter and rolled their sleeves up. They piled the dirty dishes and trays on one side of the sink, making a sinkful of hot soapy water to wash with.

Poppy came back in. "Are those tasteless lumps done yet?"

Colle gestured with a hand. "Waiting on the oven." They sniffed, feeling a headache beginning behind their eyes. "Maybe fifteen minutes?" Poppy nodded and headed back up front.

They checked the oven. The cat’s paws were almost perfectly golden and they slid the tray out with the help of a folded dishtowel, since the usual hot pads weren’t around. Setting them to cool, Colle put the bran muffins in the oven.

As they turned to head back to the sink, the kitchen started to go dark again. Colle grumbled, but felt a little dizzy and braced themself on the work table for a moment before standing in front of the sink. They picked up the dishrag, scrubbing a bowl.

Something - wasn’t right. Was there smoke coming from something in the oven? Nothing smelled off, but the room seemed hazy, darker, much like when things burned. Colle rubbed their forehead. The headache that had been building started making itself known. Maybe there was something in one of the cabinets, some willow bark tea or something.

They took a step away from the sink, intending to search the cabinets. The world tilted suddenly and Colle stumbled, flailing to try to catch their balance. They felt their head hit something sharp and they fell, the kitchen going darker as they closed their eyes and felt their spinning head pull them into blackness.

Poppy pushed through the door. "Honestly, I don’t know why people like those thi- Colle? Where’d you go?" She glanced around quickly. "Are you in the storage?" She shut the door completely and turned around.

Colle lay on the floor, pale, with blood beginning to puddle on the floor by their head. Poppy screamed, rushing to her friend’s side. "Colle!"
Word count: 1255