The Sweetest Things Take Time

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Disciples of Balance, Defender of the Woods
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Elemental and Shapeshifter
Class: Druid

Re: The Sweetest Things Take Time

Post by Harroc Crownegrove »

“Thanks, again - H-harroc, was it?” Jasmine said, trying to get a feel for his name. She sat back on the bed, her hands resting on her leg.

“Yes, I am of the wilds and elements,” he said back confidently, though clearly a touch jealous of the hugging.

Jasmine blinked, her look quizzical. “Well, you’re a Ranger, right? Or you work with them?”

“More than that. He’s a Druid, among other things,” Colle said, sliding an arm around Harroc’s side and leaning into him. Jasmine raised an eyebrow at her sibling’s statement.

“Oh?”

“Colle says I am very large,” Harroc said, hoping to contribute.

“And an idiot,” Chloe added, coming back from under the pillows. “But not a liar.”

Colle rolled their eyes and exhaled slowly. “Thanks, you two. I meant more the ‘being shapeshifter and half-elemental’ parts, but sure, let’s throw those things in too.” They hid their face in their hand. “So, yeah, if you see a black jaguar or a large wolf around me, it’s probably just him.”

Screwing up her face, Jasmine sighed. "O-kay. So does Mom need to fix anything special for your lover? I'm guessing he'll come with you," she said, opening her eyes.

Colle shook their head but turned to Harroc for confirmation. "You don't have anything in particular you need as far as food goes, right, sweetheart?"

“I do not think so. I have not had anything that disagrees with me before,” he said after a moment’s intense consideration. “I do enjoy sweets, but there are many foods I want to try.”

Chloe snorted. “‘Enjoy’ he says. More like ‘carnally indulges’ in.” Colle swatted ineffectually at her.

“Don’t shame him for enjoying my pastry, or you won’t get any more either. With or without glaze.”

“I- that’s not fair!” she protested, finally moving up out of the covers and revealing she was in fact also very unclothed.

Jasmine crossed her arms and leveled a glare at her sibling. “For someone who insists they aren’t having an orgy - or a threesome, whatever - there’s a disturbing lack of clothes around here.”

“Like I could loan either of them mine. Harroc’s clothes were already on their last threads before they left, and Chloe’s - well, I had to cut them off her-”

“Sure you did.”

“No, really, her leg’s hurt. Her shirt was more rag than clothes anyway by the time they got here.” Colle returned Jasmine’s irritated look. “Besides, if I was sleeping with both of them, you know I’d just say so.”

“Is it bad that I’m surprised you’re not?” Jasmine shrugged. “I know your tastes, and two people that are taller, stronger, and excuse me - larger - than you, I would’ve said you’d jump at that situation.”

Colle turned bright red. “Sorry we can’t all be boring and only like one gender and one race like you.”

“I - well,” Jasmine said. She stared at the floor. “Honestly, I think non-Fae scare me a little when it comes to that.”

“It’s okay, Jasmine. Sorry. One of us has to be the normal kid anyway.” Colle scooted forward and put their hand on Jasmine’s knee. “So, yeah, I’ll bring Harroc with me. Probably not Chloe - more because she’s having trouble getting around - and I promise we’ll have clothes. Anything I need to bring?”

Jasmine grimaced slightly. “Mom’s talking about inviting Great-Aunt Dioica.”

Throwing themselves back dramatically, Colle moaned, “Fuck.” They gave Jasmine a pleading look. ”Think you can talk her out of it?”

“Now? If my Honey wishes,” Harroc said, curling an arm around them and leaning over to kiss Colle deeply.

Colle returned Harroc’s kiss absentmindedly. “No, I’m just upset right now. Aunt Dee is - not one of my favorite people. Jas?”

“No,” Jasmine said, shaking her head slowly. “Dee’s been putting the guilt trip on Mom hard lately. You know, the ‘we’re faaaam-ily’ one.”

“Ugh.”

Harroc started to rub at Colle’s shoulders. He worked the muscles with an edge of essence, uncertain what else to do. They leaned into his touch, sighing. “I really don’t know if I can put up with her through several hours. She’s just so-”

“Abrasive?” Jasmine folded her arms, echoing Colle’s sigh. “I can’t stand her either.”

“Like a porcupine?” he offered, working away a particular pebble of tension.

“Probably less friendly,” Colle replied, with a grunt as Harroc’s thumb pressed against the knot. He nodded and continued to work at the muscles, rumbling in amusement that many were his fault. “Three chances. After that, I’m done, Jasmine,” Colle said, a note of resignation in their voice.

She nodded deliberately. “I’ll make sure I make it clear to Mom and Dad.” She cleared her throat. “So now that you’re not stuck here because of the rain, what are you doing today?”

“Clothing first, then Harroc wants to take me and Chloe to see the mages,” Colle replied. “He and the healer I saw yesterday think I have some kind of magic poisoning, which is why I collapsed.”

“Know, Colle. I do not think this, I have felt it in my bones,” he replied with a soft growl. “Do not pretend you have not also.”

“I just need some practice materials, to get all this shit out of me,” Chloe added, revealing her leg riddled with stone.

Jasmine stared at Chloe’s leg. “Sorry for staring, but, um, what the actual shit is that?” She pointed at the flecks of stone in and under Chloe’s skin.

“Pure essence, solidified into a natural state, embedded in the body as I was unable to heal the wound,” Harroc explained matter-of-factly, as though it was a simple concept.

Turning to Colle, Jasmine still looked confused. “Translation?”

“She got hurt, he tried to fix it but couldn’t control it, and that’s basically magical energy condensed into stone in her leg,” Colle supplied. “He’s half-elemental, so instead of ‘magic’ he has ‘essence’,” they explained.

“I am constructed of magic. I apologize for my rudeness, I became familiar with the instruction I have provided to Colle and Chloe,” Harroc said, looking genuinely disappointed in himself.

Jasmine shook her head. “No apology needed. I’m not familiar with much of magic beyond what I use in my work, and that’s mostly small things, like a short-term spell for relaxation or energizing.”

“Colle - has a great capacity. An overflowing wellspring of power and I believe I am to blame for its sudden flood of strength. They likely burned off the excess before, but I-”

“Yeah, being around someone so inherently magical probably made it go haywire,” they interrupted quickly. “Since no one believes me that I’ve never had a shred of magical aptitude, we’re going to go talk to the mages to see if they can help.”

“Also the constant filling with-”

“Background magic, just being around him, ha.” Colle nudged Harroc with their elbow. They turned their face away from Jasmine to whisper in Harroc’s ear. “Jasmine doesn’t need to know about that - uh, aspect of our sex life.” Chloe chuckled lewdly and pulled her leg back under the covers.

“Uh. Okay. So. I think Mom said three days? If you feel up to it, bring dessert,” Jasmine said. She rose from the bed. “I’ll, ah, let you be so you can do your errands.”

“Thanks, Jas. I appreciate you coming to check on me. I’ll appreciate it more next time when you knock,” Colle said, smirking. “See you then.” Jasmine stuck out her tongue at Colle before she closed the door behind her.

Harroc watched Jasmine leave and then looked back to Colle. “We have errands, Honey? Or are we going to the Mages first?”

“We do need to get you clothes. At least pants. People are generally expected to wear clothes in Ajteire, you know,” Colle said, leaning back. “We should probably find something for Chloe too.”

“Yeah, if we’re going to be having folks walking in all the time I’d appreciate pants you haven’t cut off me - even if that is a fun story to tell out of context.”
Word count: 1402
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Alchemist and Summoner

Post by Colle Mellifera »

“Poppy and Jasmine are the only two people who’d do that, but point taken.” Colle stretched their arms up. “With your leg, honestly I thought you might do better with a dress or a skirt. Less maneuvering.”

“Probably, plus you know- if you get down- wait- fuck,” Chloe said, stopping herself and rubbing her face with her hands. “You two are a menace.”

Colle snickered. “Only to other people’s sense of propriety.” Cracking their neck, they started to move to the edge of the bed. “I’ve never understood why more people don’t wear skirts. Honestly, it doesn’t get more ‘easy access’ than that.”

"What does that mean?" Harroc asked, moving to the kitchen to collect food now that it was clear they were awake for good.

“What, ‘easy access’?” Colle replied, heading toward the closet. “Wearing a skirt, you don’t have to move a lot of clothing if you wanted to have sex,” they said, rummaging through their shelves. They yanked out a shirtdress and slid it on, adjusting their wings through the back cut-out. Pulling on a pair of underwear, they returned to the main room.

"Ah, but why is that a concern? Is there a problem with removing clothes when alone?"

“No - I mean, it’s quicker than having to take off pants, but - um,” Colle said, pausing. They threw Chloe a pleading glance.

"This is your forest fire, I just wanted some more sleep," she said with a wicked grin.

They glared at her. “Not everyone wants to wait until they’re completely alone to have sex. Some people find that the risk of getting seen by other people makes it more exciting,” Colle explained to Harroc. “Not my thing though,” they followed up quickly.

"Ah, like the thrill of the hunt in a dangerous place. I think Chloe would enjoy that. She seemed excited when we were hunting," Harroc added as he collected a few plates of food and brought them over. Chloe looked mortified and her mouth opened several times but no words came out, or at least none that could be heard over Harroc's laugh.

Colle patted Chloe’s shoulder sympathetically. “It’s not an uncommon thing for people to like.” They took one of the plates Harroc held and sat on the bed to eat. “Being ambushed is not something I find sexy though. More the opposite, really.”

They popped a berry into their mouth, savoring the flavor. “The Fae are generally pretty relaxed about physical contact and same-sex relationships, but some of the older Fae, not so much.” Grimacing they continued, “One of the bad things about having a long life-span. I swear, I think there’s a segment of elders that get more fossilized in their attitudes every year.”

They sighed. “Unfortunately, I’m related to a few of those - and at least one of the local gossips. My life is much easier if I don’t have to worry about getting caught in the bushes fucking someone - and then hearing about it for the next half-year.” They took a vicious bite out of the pastry Harroc had put on their plate.

"Huh, I guess 'conduct unbecoming' doesn't matter much anymore," Chloe said suddenly with an odd expression. "Can I borrow him for a few hours? There's a really nice walkway over this cafe-"

“Are you seriously sitting in my home asking if you can go fuck my boyfriend in public?” Colle stared at her, incredulous and getting angry. “Have I ever said I was okay being in an open relationship? No.”

They slammed their plate down on the bed. “And what about Harroc’s wishes? What if he doesn’t want to do that?” Their eyes flared with heat as they trained their sight on her.

"Oh, so it's alright for you two to fuck like the eternal night is coming back and toss around jokes at my expense, but I try to make one joke and now it's not okay? Fantastic-" She said with an equal touch of annoyance in her voice as she fell back into the bed and covered herself.

“That didn’t come across as a joke, Chloe. You’ve made similar comments about wanting to fuck Harroc before.” Colle reined in their agitation and twitching wings with difficulty. “I’m sorry that the two of us having sex makes you uncomfortable, but I’m not sure what I can do to fix that. I don’t exactly have a spare room here.”

"That's the problem, I do want to- just fucking look at him! And you, idols, you've got a mouth I'd love to have between my- and I'm over here with nothing but a fucked up leg and a few weeks of nothing and damnit!" She responded loudly from beneath her defensive covering.

Colle blinked rapidly, looking as though Chloe had just struck them across their face. "I - what - now you want to fuck both of us? Or did I hallucinate?" They looked over to Harroc.

"Chloe is young and strong, she would make a good mate, but you are my chosen," he said easily, as if it was a simple thing. "Colle is virile and eager, also a good mate. Perhaps Chloe wants many things."

"I'm not even sure what's going on here any more," Colle muttered, shaking their head. “Fine. I’m going to Vera’s shop and getting Harroc’s pants. Harroc, it’s your choice; you can come with me or stay here.”

“I will go with my mate, always,” he said, sounding confused about the question. “What else would I do?”

Colle shrugged, a touch irritably. “You’re probably going to want to, uh, go furry until we get there, unless you have clothes I don’t know about.” They took their plate to the sink.

He nodded, taking a long stride forward and becoming his smaller wolf almost instantly. When the transformation completed he whined softly and shook himself roughly, fluffing his fur out before twirling in place and moving to crash into their leg with his muzzle and side.

Grunting, Colle collected themself and led Harroc to the door. “We’ll try to find something for you while we’re out. Going to the mages after we get back,” they said, closing the door after they and Harroc passed through. Looking down at Harroc’s lupine form, they sighed. “Is this like the large wolf form where you have to fight to get back?”

He hopped up a bit, crashing into them and sweeping them up into his arms before kissing them fiercely. “Do you want it to be?”

“No. I told you, that scares me a little. Take that form if you want, but I’m fine with you being more normal sized.” They coughed a bit. “You can cast that animal speech spell so we can talk on the way there. Assuming you don’t think that’ll mess things up later at the mages.”

“Normal sized- oh, like a normal wolf. I am unconcerned, though I do enjoy the part where I am so much larger than you. I can draw from your own well to cast, it should not worsen any symptoms.” He placed a palm on their head, and then slid another down to their leg before lifting it up under their dress to reach atop their heart. A pulse of magic came from Colle’s chest and Harroc wove it back into them, grinning stupidly all the while.

Colle shot Harroc a bemused look. “You know, I could have just undone the front for you.” They leaned into his palm slightly. “Although I doubt you’d have as much fun with that.”

“It is important to trace the paths through your body, to find the perfect spot,” he said with an open grin, curling his fingers slightly against their skin. “The rest is merely because I enjoy feeling you against my hands.”
Word count: 1333
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Shaking their head slightly, Colle chuckled. “So I see,” they replied, flicking their eyes down. “Maybe we should look into finding Chloe a cane so she can walk. And maybe get out of the house so she doesn’t have to hear us.”

“It would be a good idea, though she has few places she can rest that I can be sure she does not accidentally wound herself further. I am sorry, Honey, but I cannot abandon her.”

“I-I know. Her hitting on you so much makes me feel unsettled, but I have to acknowledge that she’s understandably frustrated hearing us. I don’t know - what we can do or how. She’s as good as said she’s got nowhere else to go.” They sighed, letting their head and shoulders droop.

“She does want to challenge you. For the right to me, but-”

Colle’s mouth dropped open and their knees wobbled. “Seriously?! Why - why do I have to fight someone for the right to be with you? It’s your choice who you want to mate or not. If you don’t want me, you are always - have always - been free to go.” They choked up on the last sentence, feeling the creeping tendrils of dread begin to curl around their throat. “I can’t fight worth a fig anyway.”

“I will deny her then, but understand it is not a fight with claw and blade. It is a battle to prove your talents, your skills, to show what you can bring to others. I believe you might enjoy it greatly even if it is done with nothing to be won. The Order has such competitions often, but relations were forbidden between neophytes.”

Backing away from Harroc’s hands, Colle turned to face the stairs. “I don’t know anything flashy like illusion magic or wilderness skills. I’m pretty sure things like ‘not telling my best friend’s most embarrassing stories’ or ‘my puff pastry almost always rises’ or ‘I almost caused a riot in a cafe once’ aren’t exactly talents I can show off.” They headed toward the staircase, feet dragging. “Come on. I said we’d get you pants. Let’s go.”

He moved beside Colle, trying to put an arm around them. “Your foods are the envy of many, and your tea to my understanding has caused a scuffle in the cafe simply for the chance to be allowed to wait.”

“And what’s the likelihood of me being able to use that in some kind of challenge? Wouldn’t an official or someone-” they waved their hand vaguely. “Decide what the challenge would be?” They let Harroc’s arm wrap around their shoulders as they slowly walked down the stairs.

“Yes, but the challenged always chooses the weapons, for when you defend what you care for you will fight your hardest and to cut to an opponent’s heart is the greatest thrill of the hunt.” He squeezed their side to him, grinning at the thought of the delicious foods he might taste.

Colle snorted. “Sure, I’ll duel with a pastry cutter and a spatula.” They looked at the sun filtering through the leaves. “You’re probably going to want to switch soon, before we run into people.” He said nothing, simply fell forward and shifted from one step to the next.

“You look like me walking off the platform in the mornings,” Colle commented with a grin. His ears twitched and his tail wagged, indicating amusement and pleasure.

“It is fun to fall sometimes, I wish to learn to fly one day.”

“Any thoughts on what you’d like to be?”

“Something fast, with talons!” He barked excitedly, wiggling as he continued to keep pace down the steps.

“I get the feeling that 'something good-looking' is also part of the criteria,” Colle added, with a grin. “At least if your reasoning behind choosing your jaguar form carries over.”

“Is there something wrong with wanting to be a strong representative of an animal. To seek to become the greatest of something beyond yourself.”

“No, but I do think you intentionally choose forms that make you look more attractive,” Colle said, reaching out to give Harroc a scratch behind the ears. He rumbled in pleasure and pressed into their hand.

“They are forms at the peak of their species. It would be foolish to discount them simply because they are pleasing,” he countered with his tongue lolling out.

Colle laughed. “Fair point. So - probably some kind of bird of prey, then. That narrows your options a bit.” They let their fingers wander through the thick fur of Harroc’s ruff. “Not that I can force you, but I’d prefer if you weren’t the same kind of bird Chloe is.”

“I doubt I could find a representative of equal caliber without extensive searching and even still- I think I might try for an owl of some sort.” He made a soft hooting imitation, very poorly. Colle had to stop moving while they doubled over laughing at a wolf trying to imitate an owl’s hoot.

“I fully encourage this,” Colle managed to force out between giggles. “You still should choose a good looking one. You know, uh, glossy feathers, long talons, a clicky beak-” They dissolved into laughter again. Harroc made an amused wheezing sound that came across exactly as it was meant to.

Digging both hands deep into Harroc’s fur, they scratched around his ruff, behind his ears, and toward his shoulder blades. Harroc’s laughter became deep rumbles and groans of pleasure as his foot came up to scratch reflexively. Colle chuckled and began to ease up on the scratching so they could continue to Vera’s shop.

“I know you’d probably like me to do that for a couple hours, but we do need to get your clothes and then get us all over to the mages,” they said apologetically. “You did seem kind of insistent that we go sooner rather than later.”

He whined softly but also started walking again immediately, padding down the stairs a touch wobbly for a few moments before collecting himself. “Yes, controlling magic is important, to be safe,” he barked to them.

"I still find the whole 'magical poisoning' thing to be weird, honestly. I've never been one of those Fae who seem to ooze magic wherever they go," Colle said, looking over at Harroc. “The ‘detect magic’ spell is the only one I really use, ever, and I don’t use any kind of magic in my work like Jasmine does.” They stretched their wings out as they walked, enjoying the dappled sunlight.

"Many have arcane potential. Of those, few become truly active, and of those even fewer still manifest without intervention. That the Fae have a much larger number of mages is also true, but they also are beings of magic and so many will spend their lives without using magic actively at more than a trickle."

Colle furrowed their brow in thought. "That's probably partly because there's discouragement of 'showing off' when it comes to magic. It's rude to be flashy in front of Kerasoka, and no Fae wants to be called a 'second Bhelest' for being overbearing about their talents," they said, half explaining and half musing to themself. Their wings flexed lightly behind them, a slight shimmer catching the light.

"Generally it's considered a gift, but not something to be taken lightly." Colle shrugged. "That said, almost all Fae are taught 'detect magic' when we're young. It's kind of expected that most of us will study some branch or another, but it took me longer to learn that one spell than most, so I never pursued anything."

"I imagine you simply did not have the right instruction," he said back with soft barks as his eyes tracked the fluttering wings. "One would never be impressed if they asked a fish to climb a mountain. Besides- I have seen your magic.”

“What? Oh, you mean when you pulled it out?” Colle studied the path, looking for the stairs that would take them down to the level of Vera’s shop. “Does it - look odd or something?”

He wheezed a chuckle, his tongue lolling out in amusement. “You do make an odd face when-”

They blushed a dark red. “Everybody makes a weird face then!”

“But yes, I have seen your magic, tasted it, consumed it,” he said with a very predatory and appreciative growl. “It was delicious.”

“I bet you say that to everyone whose magic you taste,” Colle said, their fading blush beginning to darken again. “I’m almost suspicious you’re referring to the honey glaze though.”

Harroc wheezed again, drawing the stares of many folks on their way about the walkways. “I am of half a mind to simply have another few sips before we arrive,” he said with a few more barks and whines, his tail wagging wildly.

Colle pursed their lips. “How about after the mages, Mister Worrywart. Stairs to the right, there. Should be close.” They crossed to the side, taking the stairs. “No switching until after you have clothes, okay? I don’t need a next-in-line challenger after Chloe.”

“I- fair, Honey. I will be good. For a time.”
Word count: 1557
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

“I’m almost afraid to ask for clarification on that,” Colle said with a wry smile. “Hi Vera,” they said, greeting the orange-haired Fae studying a ledger on her counter.

“Hi! Colle, right? Here to pick up Harroc’s pants?” She snapped the ledger closed. “I went ahead and made two pair from the mock-up since I figured he’d probably wear through them quickly. I did want him to try them on though-”

“He’s here, just furry.” They gestured to the wolf beside them. “I thought it better he wasn’t going around naked, since his last set of clothes didn’t survive his recent run.”

“Oh!” She looked at the wolf. “Sorry, Harroc, I didn’t recognize you. Why don’t you go to the back and try these on,” she said as she turned and pulled a folded pair of pants from cubbies on the wall.

Harroc leaned back, as if falling on his rump, and shifted. He cracked his neck and accepted the clothing with a smile. “Thank you,” he said simply, walking without a care for the world to one of the cubbies.

Colle watched after him, a mix of appreciation and mild frustration on their face. “Thanks. I hope Amaiais isn’t back there and going to smack me for bringing a naked man to your work.”

“Not right now,” Vera said with a grin. “He’s also out getting us a snack.” She turned back to the cubbies with completed clothing. “His last commission was finished yesterday, so he’s taking a day off until things pick up again.” Straightening a few things, she turned to Colle. “So what’s this I hear about you scaring Poppy?”

“Oh. That. Yeah, I kind of overextended myself and Harroc says he thinks it’s magic poisoning. So we’re going to the mages later-” Colle frowned. “Oh, that reminds me, do you have any dresses that might fit a woman close to Harroc’s size?”

Vera raised an eyebrow and Colle continued hurriedly, “His last run, he had a student with him and she hurt her leg. They’ve both been staying at my house, and she’s coming with us.”

“Who’s coming with us?” A muscular Kerasokan walked in holding four skewers of meat in his hands. “Vera?”

“Ama!” She fluttered off the floor to kiss the man on the cheek. “Colle and their boyfriend are going to the mages since Colle’s been ill, and their boyfriend’s injured student is going with them.” To the puzzled look the man gave her, Vera added, “Colle is Poppy’s coworker at the cafe, remember?”

“Oh yeah. Nice to meet you,” Amaiais said, nodding at Colle. “Vera, love, take one of these, but careful, they’re hot.”

“Colle- help-” Harroc called, the tinge of frustration in his voice extremely obvious. Colle looked at the other two, shrugged, and headed in the direction Harroc had gone earlier.

“Harroc, what’s wrong?” Harroc stood part way out of the dressing alcove, one hand holding the top of his new pants and the other gesturing with clear confusion.

“I feel like they are going to fall off again at any moment and you did not want that to happen,” he explained while not releasing the waist of the pants.

Colle looked at the pants then at Harroc. “You need to button them?”

He looked at them blankly- clearly deeply confused. “What does that mean?”

“You see the circles there? Put them through those slits. Here-” Colle came up to Harroc and slid one of the buttons through its hole. “Like this. Start from the top. There should be a hole for every button.”

“Oh- like little toggles but the loop is just- part of things. Odd,” he said softly, moving to finish the remainder of the buttons with quick, if not practiced, movements.

Colle watched as Harroc worked with the buttons, ready to help. “Buttons aren’t really a thing among the druids and all, but toggles are?” They asked him as he straightened after fastening the last button.

“Why make a- button when you can carve a toggle quicker and with less trouble?” he asked with a shrug. “No reason to make them small to hide them away. Easier if they are big, tough, easy to use.”

“I guess I never considered that,” Colle said thoughtfully. “Buttons are pretty common on clothing in the city, especially in the last century or so.”

“Too much spare time, though- very neat. I can see why people like them.”

Colle nodded and circled around Harroc. “They look good. How do they feel? Not too tight or too loose now?” He flexed his muscles, sweeping his legs out one at a time, to get an understanding of his range of motion.

“They feel very light, and not much limiting. It is strange to notice the tiny differences.”

“It’s not surprising they feel different from your old ones. They’re going to be made differently, and remember, we asked for Vera to adjust them some.” They studied the fit across Harroc’s buttocks and thighs, making a mental note to give Vera free pastries for her excellent work. “Are you happy with them?”

“I have no complaints, do you enjoy looking at them?” he asked with a grin, scooping them up into a hug and carrying them out towards the others. “Many thanks, these are very comfortable.”

Vera swallowed the piece of meat she’d been chewing and handed her skewer to Amaiais. “Good! I’m glad you like them. I made you a simple tunic, too.” She flitted over to the shelves by her desk before holding out a small bundle of folded material. “And Amaiais is here, so we can talk about your trades. I think you mentioned fur?”

“Yes, thank you again. For the furs and meat, I help cull the herds when they grow too eager to explore the city. It is necessary work and many do not use the results,” Harroc explained around Colle, holding them tight to his chest and curling his fingers into their side.

“And I’m happy to throw in some pastry or baked goods as well,” Colle added, turning to Vera. They caught her eye, flicking a glance down to Harroc’s hips, and mouthed ‘thank you’. Vera put her hand over her mouth to hide her grin, but her eyes gave her away.

“Ama, love, it’s mostly your clothing we need the fur for,” Vera said, sitting close to the Kerasoka carefully eating while watching the conversation. “If there’s anything in particular you’re looking for, you may as well tell Harroc.”

Amaiais sat up straighter, wrapping his empty skewers in the leaf they’d come in. “That would depend on what’s available. I don’t know the wilds well. I would like to get enough for you to have some fur lined clothes as well, Vera. You were cold when we traveled and after the rainstorms,” he noted.

“There is a great deal of dense fur available from elk this time of year. It is aggressively abundant,” Harroc replied with a nod. “Good for cloaks and lining without being too overly heavy.”

Nodding thoughtfully, Amaiais agreed. “Would two hides and a few pastry be agreeable, in exchange for the two pairs of pants and the tunic?”

“That- when you say hides what size do you mean? I think I usually manage around seven a day of the larger sort. Is that too much?” Harroc asked, clearly uncertain. It seemed he lacked a good reference for a fair barter.

“One full grown elk would be one hide,” Amaiais said, blinking wide-eyed at Harroc’s estimate. “I’d want enough for a garment for me, or two for Vera, per hide.”

Colle turned to Harroc. “Seven elk a day? You realize that’s a LOT, right?” They leaned back against his shoulder, holding the tunic Vera had given him. “Less damage to the hide is better, in case that affects how you’d take them down. Canine or feline,” they said, grinning in astonishment.

“Oh. I just snap the neck usually. I can also repair them with magic, if a rent is smaller than a hand length,” he replied with a shrug. “It is little trouble. They need to be culled regardless.”
Word count: 1396
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Colle tipped their head to the side. “You talk about culling the elk like it’s a regular thing. Who normally gets the hides? Will we need to work another deal for that?”

“No one, unless someone asks. They go to the forest, to remain a part of the cycle,” Harroc shrugged. “We only cull them because the more active predators avoid the groves, even if we do not attack.”

“So you’re just dragging elk carcasses into the forest? I mean, I know you’ve mentioned the cycle before and I’m guessing there’s some kind of balance to maintain, but that’s a lot of meat and hide from only one elk!” Colle waved their hands as they spoke, becoming more excited with every word.

“Uh. So, we have a deal?” Amaiais asked, bemused. Looking back, he waited for Vera’s enthusiastic nodding before he held out his hand to Harroc.

Harroc took the hand easily, shaking it firmly. “If it pleases my Honey, then there is a deal,” he said with a smile.

"Oh, I'm pleased," Colle said happily and Harroc rumbled loudly in pleasure, squeezing them to him. "I'll bring by fresh pastry tomorrow. Do you think you'd want more hides in the future? Harroc might want leather clothing for when he goes out on runs with the Rangers again."

"Maybe. I wouldn't say no, and if you bring materials, then we're really just looking at my time," Vera chimed in. "You might want something for yourself too, Colle."

They thought for a minute. "That's true - oh, we still need a dress or something for Chloe. Nothing fancy; she's looking for something easy to put on with her broken leg."

Amaiais looked to Vera, who was already tapping her chin thoughtfully. "I don't know - wait, I think I have a dress that I cut out for a client who changed their mind on the color. It's sort of a pinky purple?"

She got up and headed to the back of the store, rummaging in a few crates until she pulled out a folded square of fabric. "If I remember right, this was for a shorter Kerasoka woman and it would have been above the knee on her." Vera came back to the men and Colle with the dress.

Tapping Harroc's arm gently, Colle asked, "Can you please put me down for a moment? I want to see the dress up close."

"Only with regret," he said, squeezing them a final time before setting them down gently.

Reaching out to take the dress from Vera, Colle held it by the shoulders, eyeing Harroc's height against the length. "I think it'll work. Chloe's just a little taller than Harroc's shoulders. Thanks, Vera." They folded it up carefully.

"Sure, I hadn't figured out what to do with it anyway. Throw in an extra pastry or two and we'll call it good," she said with a wink.

“Then I will hunt with the sun. We go now to the mages, unless there are other stops?” Harroc declared with a decisive nod of his head.

“We need to pick up Chloe,” Colle reminded him. “And I’ll start baking when he leaves, so fresh pastry for you tomorrow,” they said to Vera and Amaiais.

“Ooh, lovely. Haven’t you been kicked out of the cafe, though?” Vera asked as she pulled Amaiais’ arm around her. He glanced at her, grinning, and pulled her closer to his side.

“I haven’t been kicked out of my own kitchen,” Colle said with an amused look. “Besides, you might end up with something different than my usuals. Might as well experiment.”

Vera’s eyes brightened. “Lucky us, then! We’ll look for you tomorrow,” she said.

“Experimenting is good?” Harroc asked, moving to pick them up again.

“Experimenting is what leads me to making new things. Like your cat’s paws.” Colle said, making themself compact so that Harroc could lift them more easily. “I might have some ideas that haven’t been tried, as well as I can make things that aren’t really doable on the scale the cafe would need.”

“Then I love experimenting, it is delicious, like my Honey,” he said decisively as he scooped Colle up and leaned in to kiss them excitedly. They laughed and kissed him back, deeply.

“Now I’m almost sorry I agreed to let you drag me over to the mages today,” they said, eyes dancing mischievously. “Let’s go and maybe we can be done quickly. And maybe Chloe might like to hang out at the cafe with a book.”

He rumbled loudly, clearly pleased by the idea before taking long strides towards the door. “Many thanks, we will return,” he said with a nod of his head before carrying his captured prey away. Said prey leaned into his shoulder and nibbled on his neck as they walked back to Colle’s house.
Word count: 823
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

After eliciting a growl that was half pleasure and half warning, Colle sat up straighter. “Spending time alone with you - I think we need to do that. I know there’s things we should talk about. I don’t know much of anything of what your Druid circle is like or how you trained, and your family is clearly different from mine.”

“Then we shall be alone,” he said, moving them up the long series of steps. “Chloe can dress in her new clothes, and then enjoy some sun before being forced to return again.”

"If she wants, we can take her to the cafe on our way home from the mages. Poppy and anyone else there will take care of her, and she wouldn't owe anything; it'd be considered part of my share," Colle said. "There's plenty of books too, although I don't know if there's any that would help her in learning to fix her leg."

“Some perhaps- the focusing book, though she does not have magic of her own, it is the same concept and the essence will feed her control of the elemental stone,” he said after a short moment of consideration. “Do you think she will like my new pants too? They feel- strange and I am not certain why you like them.”

Colle frowned for a second. “Are they uncomfortable or just different? And yes, I think she’ll like them. They fit your ass and thighs very nicely,” they replied with a grin.

“Oh? That explains- they do not feel uncomfortable. It is like a very close hug, or the way water moves over stone.”

“You wanted them fitted pretty closely so you could move easily,” Colle pointed out. “If they were loose and baggy, they’d get in your way and catch on things. Those kinds of pants - like the ones I wear to sleep in sometimes - are only good when you’re not doing much.”

“I think mine were like this, long ago, but I lacked the skill to repair them properly even with my magic. It takes a certain understanding to restore an item.”

Colle chewed their lip for a moment. “Depending on how long you had your old pants, you may have grown too. Your old pants looked too small when you wore them - remember how you made them explode?”

He grinned, rumbling in amusement. “I do, you made me want to tear them.”

“Oh, did I now?” they raised their eyebrows with a smirk.

He leaned down, lifting them up to bite into their shoulder and squeeze their hips to him. “Patience-” he muttered into Colle’s neck, clearly talking to himself.

They shivered, enjoying the pinch of teeth on their neck. After the mages, sweetheart. If you want. First, let’s get Chloe and go,” they said, inclining their head toward the house as it appeared at the top of the steps.

“As you say,” he answered with a final quick kiss before setting them back down and moving inside. “Chloe, we have clothes, and are going to the mages now. Are you ready?”

“Not until after I put the clothes on.” She reached out toward them, a small grimace on her face. “Be nice to get out into the sun.”

Colle handed her the folded dress. “I think it’ll fit. Vera said she made it for a Kerasoka woman who changed her mind on the color,” they explained. Chloe nodded, frowning and continuing to stare at her leg; there were several clear areas of irritation on her leg around the stones.

Harroc moved over with sudden speed, bending down and taking her leg into his hand, examining it intently despite her faint protest. “You move too quickly. You will die. Slowly, like the rain wearing away the mountain.”

Huffing in annoyance, Chloe pulled the dress over her head. “I want to get all this damn stone out before I’m too old to regain any strength.” Harroc nodded, conceding the point.

“I can see the want. I will trust you to know the pace, but I will never stop warning you. That is, from my understanding at least, most of the job of a teacher. To warn his students they are to suffer for their mistakes and be there to help when those mistakes are truly dangerous.”

Colle frowned slightly at Harroc’s words. “As soon as you’re ready, Chloe, we’ll get going,” they said. “Oh, we thought you might want to spend some time at the cafe when we’re done at the mages. You know, sun, pastry, not hearing us…”

Chloe nodded emphatically immediately. “Definitely, an afternoon away from the moaning parade so I don’t stab you in your sleep.”
Word count: 794
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

Giving her a wry smile, they replied, “Figured you’d agree. I’ll tell whoever’s working that you’re on my share so you can get whatever you want.” They stretched and turned to Harroc. “How do you want to get us all over there? You carry Chloe and I fly, or did you want to go furry?”

“I will transform. I have rested enough and I can have you when we are finished,” he said simply, grinning at them.

Colle swallowed hard. “Alright then. Chloe, if you’re ready, hang on and I’ll meet you outside.” Harroc moved to her side, lifting her up to stand before letting her lean against his back before carrying her outside and shifting beneath her. With a gentle shake of his great head he started towards the stairs.

Taking a few running steps, Colle jumped and opened their wings to fly to Harroc’s back. He rumbled happily as they settled. “On to the mages then. I hope you know where they are?” they asked, gently nudging Harroc with the side of their heel.

He growled faintly, disapproval at being driven by them plain in the sound even without their magical understanding. And then he started down the stairs, taking them in long loping strides, his tail swishing wildly in excitement.

Colle tensed at the growl, having to grip Harroc’s sides with their legs as he took off. They patted his back, apologetic for having to hold on so tightly. “What was the growl for?” they asked him softly, figuring his hearing would still catch their words.

"Not a pet to be spurred onward, mate," he rumbled and whined.

Shocked stiff for a moment, Colle hurried to explain. “I wasn’t - I’m sorry, I just was trying to get your attention, I didn’t think - I hope I didn’t hurt you,” they babbled, pulling their wings in a bit. “Maybe I should fly so you don’t have to carry me?”

"No, stays. Use hand, pat neck not hurt," he responded with a series of quick yips, barks, and tongue movement as he ran.

“Alright. Sorry, again,” Colle said, slumping a little and burying their hand in Harroc’s fur.

“What’d you do, smack his balls?” Chloe asked with a chuckle from Harroc’s ruff, her grip not near as firm as Colle’s as they kept moving. “He’s certainly carrying on like you did something horrid.”

“Well - no - but I was rude,” Colle said, their face flushing red. “It was kind of a disrespectful thing to do, thinking about it.”

“Oh, you kick him, like a horse? Pretty sure he wants you to ride him, not ride him.” She made a lewd gesture to accompany her words as she looked over her shoulder at Colle.

They dropped their head down. “Yeah.” Clearing their throat, they asked Chloe, “Where do you think you’re going to start with the mages? Are you planning to talk to the druids first?”

“No fucking clue- there’s gotta be some other essence mages around though, he can’t be that rare. Find an old one who knows what they’re doing and get at it. How about you? You give up pretending nothing’s wrong yet?”

Colle huffed. “I can’t exactly ignore the whole ‘passing out at work’ thing and the Rangers’ healer talking about magic poisoning. Not to mention I’ve been pretty much kicked out by the third-in-command at the cafe until she’s satisfied I’ve rested and taken care of myself.”

“Ah, so you didn’t believe him then. That seems like a weird thing to take a stand on,” she said with a strange frown.

“Not - It’s not that I didn’t believe him, but I was skeptical, you know? I’ve always sucked at magic. And when he did that thing where he got drunk, I thought he fixed whatever it was,” Colle explained, noticing Harroc’s ears flicking back to catch parts of their conversation.

“You might want to listen to your- boyfriend or whatever. He doesn’t really waste words often, but what do I know,” she said with a dark chuckle. Harroc whined softly, and all that came across was ‘regret’.

Wincing, Colle patted Harroc’s back. They weren’t sure what Chloe was referring to, but it sounded like he didn’t want to think about it. He rumbled loudly, shifting to a more loping stride as he broke onto the main ground. His speed shifted to a slower, more careful one, moving around and between the thin crowds onto the massive branch paths until he approached the tucked away cafe.

“Why are we near the cafe, Harroc?” Colle asked, confused.

“Food- for strength,” he barked back, slowing and looking around. “Meat- important to carry.”

“Oh, did you want to get some of those skewers of meat from the cart near Vera’s?” They tipped their head to the side, trying to watch his ears. “They’re down one level.” He bounced his head, letting his tongue loll out before moving to a spiraling ramp and traveling downward.

Colle scanned the paths for the cart, squinting in the sun. “Over there,” they said, pointing at a cart some distance ahead. Harroc shifted around, turning in place and padding over slowly, rumbling in excitement. "I'm guessing we'll want six sticks?" they suggested. "Three for you, two for Chloe, one for me."

His tail wagged faintly and he rumbled softly, unimpressed with the final bit of the decision. “Something wrong, sweetheart?” Colle said, patting Harroc’s side in front of them.

“You eat more, need strength. Trust me,” he whined, shaking his massive head.

They frowned slightly. “The cart owner’s pretty generous, but I’ll buy another pair so I have one more stick like you’re telling me to. You and Chloe can fight over the last one.”

“As if, I’m not fighting him over meat,” Chloe said with a puff of breath. “I’ve seen what he does to it, yours or otherwise.”
Word count: 1023
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Colle raised an eyebrow. “Oh? Rumor has it that you would fight me, though.”

“Challenge I think is what he said, and yeah I would. Though- I mean not sure I can really compete in the same way. Thought you were a bit different then, but not going to back down.”

“I see.” Their spine straightening, they prepared to dismount to talk to the meat cart owner. “We’d like four pairs of sticks, please. I usually trade a loaf of bread for two, but since we’re getting double my usual purchase, what would you prefer?”

After a few minutes of haggling, the cart owner and Colle agreed on two loaves of bread, four pastries, and a packet of Colle’s tea blend. The man handed over the sticks of meat, wrapped in thick leaves against the heat, as Colle promised to return the next day.

“We can eat here, or save them until we get to the mages. What do you want to do?” Colle asked, looking at the enormous wolf and the woman who rode him.

“Eat during and after the mages, I’m guessing he thinks it’ll wear us down and the bit of food keeps you going,” Chloe said with a shrug. Harroc nodded, his tongue lolling out as he eyed the food- or Colle.

“Alright.” Colle stepped next to Harroc’s shoulder and tapped him gently. “I know you can’t wait to have my meat in your mouth,” they murmured into his ear, quietly. Stepping back, they lifted themself into the air to reach Harroc’s back.

Harroc whimpered, nuzzling at Colle’s groin with eager sniffing and wagging of his tail. Chloe shoved at Harroc's head. "Can you not? At least wait until I'm off your damn back," she grumbled. He grumbled back and stopped, his tail still wagging wildly.

"Later, sweetheart. Not now. Let's get to the mages' so we can eat," Colle said, a grin twisting the corner of their mouth. They settled themself as best they could while holding eight skewers of sizzling meat, lightly squeezing Harroc with their thighs. Harroc moved along, taking a slower stride but still much faster than walking. Soon enough they arrived at the broad platform of the mages.

Scanning the area, Colle looked for a bench or somewhere Chloe could sit while they ate. They spotted a bench against a wall, sitting a short distance away from the center of the platform. Colle said, “Bench, ahead to the right.” They nudged Chloe’s right shoulder with their head.

Harroc shifted his course, making his way over before stopping nearby and rumbling to Colle. “Off.” Colle swung their leg over and slid down Harroc’s side, not wanting to cool the meat any more than necessary. They landed with a soft thud on the platform. Harroc leaned back slightly and then moved to his hind limbs, shifting as he hopped, collecting Chloe in his arms before setting her down gently.

“Rest here, and we will come when it is time,” he said without command, though it was clear he expected no resistance. She nodded grumpily and held out a hand for her share of the meat.

“Are we going to eat first?” Colle asked Harroc, giving Chloe two of the skewers of meat.

“Chloe should- she has been burning her energy as we rode. Recklessly-” he said with a small frown, but did nothing further. Without comment, Colle handed her a third skewer. They took a bite of one of theirs, and held three out to Harroc.

Around a mouthful of food, Colle mumbled, “Might as well eat then. They should be cool enough by now.” Harroc eagerly bit into one of his skewers, indulging in a pleased moan as he enjoyed the sizzling meat. Leaning against him, Colle said, “If you sit down on the ground, I’ll sit in your lap while we eat.”

He dropped like a sack of rocks, thumping onto the platform and grinning broadly mid-bite. Colle lowered themself onto Harroc’s lap, leaning their back against his chest. They grinned up at him and snatched another bite of meat from their skewer. Harroc rumbled, pleased, and leaned over to bite Colle’s neck gently, leaving a bit of grease before indulging in more of his skewer.

Chloe rolled her eyes. “Going to the cafe alone after this and not having to see the two of you all over each other is going to be so nice.” Harroc rumbled, enjoying his meat eagerly, an arm curled around Colle.

Chewing lazily, they snuggled into Harroc. "Where do you think I should go first, sweetheart? We know I'm not inclined to wizardry or druidic magic."

“Sage- summoner,” he offered with a shrug, uncertain but unconcerned. “We will find your focus, and then you will learn,” he added confidently afterwards, giving them another greased kiss.

"That sounds fine to me. I doubt I'd suddenly end up being a sorcerer after all these years," replied Colle. They sat up straight for a moment, stretching their torso, before leaning back against Harroc. "I'm getting pretty full after one. Are you going to be upset if I don't eat the second stick?"'

“You will want it later- the tests are not a relaxing thing,” he said with a knowing grin.

Biting their lip, Colle began to feel nervous. "What do they do? Are they going to ask me to cast something? Or what?" They wrapped the second stick in the leaf wrapper tightly; it suddenly looked entirely unappealing.

“It varies, my Honey. The druids have you commune, and through this learn your strengths. I know only that summoners call upon spirits and creatures.” Colle hunched their shoulders and tried to curl up into Harroc’s chest as much as possible. He licked his fingers and stood, lifting them with him.

“Do you want to be carried then, or walk on your own feet? I will be beside you either way.”

“I’d rather not go, but I should probably walk,” Colle replied, sighing and leaning into Harroc as though to draw from his strength. “Let’s go find out where to go for me and for Chloe. There’s bound to be someone who can give directions.”
Word count: 1044
Colle Mellifera
Event MVP
Pastry chef
Level
46 / 46 HP
42 / 42 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 50c

Harroc nodded in agreement, placing an arm around them and squeezing Colle gently before urging them onward. “I think there is a person we can speak to just there.” Ahead was a rather old Fae man looking over a series of large books spread across a broad desk.

Stepping up to the desk, they tried to catch the man’s attention. “I’m looking for, um, the summoner mages - I think?”

The man mumbled to himself for a moment, his wrinkled hand tracing some bit of text intently before he looked up. “Hmm- ah- second floor, third area on the right. Just go in, they never pay attention to the bell,” he said, his voice raspy and a touch faint. Then he immediately went back to pursuing his books.

“One more question, sir - do you have mages who work with elemental magic, and if so, where are they?” Colle tried not to fidget nervously as they waited for an answer.

He frowned and looked up at them more intently. “We have several, though they tend to be across many disciplines. Perhaps those across the hall from the summoners. They tend to focus on exploratory magics.”

“Um. Okay, thank you,” Colle said, turning away from the desk. To Harroc, they said, “I guess we’re all going to the second floor then. Can you carry Chloe and get her settled first?” They swallowed hard. “I’ll try to figure out who’s in charge of the summoners before you get there.”

“Understood,” he said softly, giving them a quick squeeze before going outside to collect his injured student. They watched Harroc leave with a sigh before walking slowly toward the enormous spiral staircase that led up to the next story of the mages’ building. The meat that had seemed so delicious a short while before felt like rocks in their gut as they trudged forward.

At the next landing of the winding stairs, Colle peered around the hall. There was a hallway facing them that extended around the curve of the building. A small carved placard on the wall stated ‘Summoning Dept.’ with an arrow pointing right. Below that were listed ‘Exploratory Magics’ and ‘Illusionary Magics’ with an arrow to the left.

They bit their lip and turned right; a hallway of closed doors were all they saw. The building wasn’t strictly quiet, but the hum of many people talking made it seem so. Wiping their hands on the skirt of their dress, Colle nervously checked the signs by the doors, counting in their head. They felt like they were back in school again and half expected to be thrown out at any moment.

It took them a moment to realize the persistent thump they heard was not in fact their heart, but the sound of Harroc’s boots tromping down the hallway. Slung onto his back, Chloe whooped in encouragement as they came out onto the landing and made a barrelling charge towards Colle. Freezing in terror at being caught, Colle flattened themself against the wall. “You’re supposed to go the other way!” they hissed at the pair of shifters.

“Onward! For the hunt!” Chloe proclaimed to a stupidly grinning Harroc who turned to watch Colle as he thundered past, down the end of the hall and around the corner. Behind the Fae, a door opened to reveal a pair of inquisitive amber eyes.

“I - Sorry - I’m looking for the Summoners?” Colle forced out in a thin voice. They backed away from the doorway slightly as their support had disappeared.

“That would be us, what was that thunderous noise? Did another creature escape, or a stone elemental?” the fae woman asked, opening the door more completely. She wore a plain brown robe with a stitched symbol of a summoning circle in the chest and her amber eyes jumped around constantly.

“That’s not entirely wrong,” they muttered to themself. “I think it’s just a case of over-enthusiasm,” they said to the woman. “I don’t think you’ll need to worry.” They cleared their throat self-consciously. “Um, may I speak to whoever is in charge, or whoever is handling aptitude testing?”

“That would also be us, come in, come in,” she said, nodding in acceptance of the answer. “Do you have any prior training?” she asked over her shoulder as she moved back into what appeared to be a somewhat cozy reading room lined extensively with bound tomes and barkbooks.

“Uh - no,” Colle said, distracted by the bulging shelves. “I - well - I passed out at work and the healer mentioned magical poisoning? I’ve never been very good at casting spells or anything, and I know I can’t see wizard magic, and my boyfriend says he doesn’t think I could be a druid…” they rambled, half their attention on trying to catch titles as they followed the other Fae.

“Oh- poisoning, goodness. At your age too? Exposed to something deep in magic all the sudden then dear?” she asked, moving to settle in at a table with several books open and a sheaf of notes in a delicate script. “Drink?” she asked, indicating a teapot still steaming faintly.

“Um, yes, thanks,” Colle said, flicking a glance at the teapot. “I guess you could say I was - uh - exposed to magic. Someone rather than something, though,” they added, fighting a blush. “Normally I just bake pastries and things. I work at a cafe.”

“Oh wonderful, well I’m glad you seem to be on the mend. Dangerous thing, magical poisoning. Now then- let me see- given your age and the intensity required to poison,” she muttered to herself clearly considering a vast sum of memorized knowledge. “Ah yes, the stone bringing. Take this-” she said, placing a small crystal onto the table. “-and draw out the creature inside. Don’t worry about how too much, just concentrate on making the creature appear.”

Bewildered, Colle stared at the translucent crystal on the tabletop. “Draw out? I - I have no idea how to even start,” they said, trailing off as they looked at the stone. There was a tiny wisp of something in there, they realized. They poked the stone gingerly; it seemed to shiver for a moment.

The wisp moved, almost like the wagging of a tail. One of the protrusions on the opposite end began to elongate, shaping itself to a taper. Colle watched the crystal, unable to look away despite the feeling of something very unusual occurring. Rocking slightly on the tabletop, the wisp began to form into a puffy curve, the end coming to a point, as four legs appeared from four chunks near the table.

Putting a shaky hand down, Colle watched as the crystal finished reforming itself, perky ears popping up from the top surface and a head rising from the body. A tiny crystalline fox scampered over to the Fae’s hand, bouncing and nudging their finger. It turned its head to look at them, plopping into a sitting position to scratch behind an ear.

“Well then, that seems sufficient enough,” the summoner said with a soft chuckle. “You’ve certainly got the raw power but none of the precision, though you appear to have an affinity to earth. Typically at best you’d make the spirit arise, but you’ve gone as far to animate it with little true effort.” There was a clear tone of interest behind the unspoken questions.

“But I have no clue what I did!” Colle stared at the little fox and the summoner in turn. “Maybe this is something Harroc did with all his elemental essence or something,” they said in agitation. Pressing against the chair they sat in, they shrank back from the table, looking like they wanted nothing more than to bolt.

“You called forth the spirit and it answered. The rest- you say that as though this Harroc is an essence mage?” she asked, leaning forward with open interest now that the other questions didn’t need to be asked.

“Not a mage - he’s made of it, he’s half-elemental,” Colle blurted out. “I knew trees and plants but I didn’t think about earth - although maybe that’s the shapeshifter side - what the fuck,” they said, cradling their head in their hands. They really wished he’d get done with whatever Chloe had him doing and come explain his essence. There was still a lot that Harroc hadn’t explained, they knew, and getting into the intricacies of how they had absorbed his essence was not a conversation they wanted to have right now.

“Intriguing, and he can move his essence? That is not rare, but certainly uncommon,” she said leaning back some. “Is he here? If he’s tied to your awakening, it may be helpful.”

"Somewhere. I- I'll go see if I can find him." Colle bolted from the chair, opening the door and almost running into the hallway. This whole situation felt unreal; a lifetime of being magicless disproved by a moment and a crystal.
Last edited by Colle Mellifera on June 5th, 2020, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 1522
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

There was shouting coming from the other side of the curved hall, it sounded like Chloe, but was rather muffled. It seemed to be a tirade more than an argument, even from this distance. Sighing, Colle followed the racket to a door half way around the building. They listened to make sure they had the correct door before knocking.

No one answered, likely because of the shouting, though they didn’t hear Harroc speaking, which was a good sign. Cautiously, they turned the handle and pushed the door open just enough to peek in. The room was not entirely dissimilar from the one they’d just left though there were many more people. Scattered books and inkwells along with teapots and five robed individuals.

In the center of the room sat a clearly irate Chloe, spread out on a couch of sorts with Harroc beside her, tensed to act but unmoving. The mages all looked a mix of surprised and frightened to varying degrees.

Colle stepped in quietly. “Excuse me-” Several eyes snapped to them, a moment of panic on them.

“Colle- tell these assholes they don’t know what the flying fucks they’re talking about!” Chloe demanded, whipping her arms about aggressively.

They blinked. “About what?” Taking a step forward, hands down, in a placating gesture, they continued, “They’re mages and this is their area of expertise, right?”

“They do not understand what has been done, and argue she should be dead,” Harroc explained quietly. “Chloe clearly disagrees-”

“They’re idiots, I could sit here all day explaining, and they wouldn’t know shit!” Chloe hissed, pointing at the mages, who were beginning to grow irate instead of cowed.

“Uh - well - Harroc is kind of different from what I’ve heard other people say, and - um - I mean, clearly you’re not dead, but - uh - the essence thing has put a lot of strain on your body,” Colle stammered. The mages staring in their direction made them feel like they were a child again, being questioned about their failures in spellcasting.

“Maybe there’s something - I mean, I don’t know much about Harroc’s essence magic-” They felt their wings pulling back, the bottom edges just beginning to curl around their thighs protectively. Harroc was there suddenly, an arm around their waist and blocking the rest of the room.

“I think it is something that can be shown- Chloe, let me show them?” he said, still looking at Colle. When there was no complaint, he moved into the room guiding them with a hand behind their back. Colle tried not to lean into Harroc as they moved, but their shoes scuffed more than once as they walked.

After he had settled Colle, Harroc moved beside Chloe and stared her down for a moment. She glared at him back, turning her frustrations to him, but only for the briefest instant before she tossed her hands up and sighed. “Fine-” she surrendered.

Harroc nodded and knelt down beside her, moving her dress aside enough to fully expose the injured leg. “These- as I had begun- are solidified earth essence-”

“Allegedly,” one of the robed mages immediately interjected. Harroc continued on, not missing a breath.

“I was able to construct them in a moment of panic when beyond my current form. I do not know how, nor do I understand how to deconstruct them. I know only how they can be removed in a delicate and slow process. What proof do you need that they are as I say?”

A mage in the back of the group spoke up. “Normally we would ask you to recreate the substance you claim to have made; however, as you say you cannot, perhaps we can subject the substance to the sort of investigation that we would usually undertake to assay a sample of earth essence?” Their eyes glittered behind thick glasses. “The question now becomes how to obtain such a sample.”

“You can keep your grubby mitts far the fuck away from my leg- or you can find it snapped into your face. Got it?” Chloe barked from her place on the couch, remaining laid back in partial defeat.

Colle inhaled sharply and shrunk back against the wall, trying to distance themself as much as possible. ‘Maybe I should just tell the Summoner I couldn’t find Harroc. Or he’s busy.’ They glanced toward the door, swallowing hard. Chloe was making enough of a commotion the Summoner might come in herself.

Harroc lifted his hand and growled sharply. Chloe went pale instantly and looked down, but remained frowning. “I can remove several slivers without compromising the whole. If I remove further it will endanger her leg,” he explained levelly, still watching Chloe. “Is that sufficient?”

The mage who had spoken of ‘investigating’ bounced in place a moment before beginning to dig in a drawer of the desk. “Yes, yes, usual containment protocols I assume? Let’s see - padding, padding - ah, there we are,” they said triumphantly. They pulled a small glass dish and a circular wad of fluffy material from the depths of the drawer.

“When you have the samples, if you can just lay them on the padding there,” they said, handing the small dish to Harroc. Rubbing their hands together gleefully, they moved to watch Harroc’s movements. “In vivo harvested pure earth essence! I’ve never had the felicity to study that before. Always, the essence is from elementals who have long passed on.”

Harroc raised an eyebrow but said nothing, sliding his fingers carefully along the edge of one of the larger chunks of essence. Chloe groaned softly, the rush of essence flooding into her before being redirected to shatter small pieces from the larger whole.

When it was done, Chloe was reduced to shallow panting and Harroc bore an intense frown as he handed over the container. Inside it lay three small flecks of essence stone.

The mage took it delicately, producing a lid from their pocket and closing the dish. “I must get this to the testing grounds immediately!” they said, walking quickly out the door. They held the dish as though it might shatter at the slightest bump, but their hold did not keep them from moving expediently down the hall toward the stairs.
Word count: 1059