Seeing Magic in Simple Things

In the heart of Ninraih's jungles, the Fae created the city of Ajteire, protected from the undead by the magic of fireflies and a pact with the Kerasoka. The complex network of trees, vines, and plants helps to keep unwanted visitors out. Read more...
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Disciples of Balance, Defender of the Woods
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Elemental and Shapeshifter
Class: Druid

Seeing Magic in Simple Things

Post by Harroc Crownegrove »

Harroc loped easily along the interconnecting bridges, walkways, and branches that made up the paths of the Ajteire version of more populous streets. He was in cat form, a graceful black jaguar, moving languidly along beside foot-bound Kerasokan and resting or lazy Fae. Most people paid him little mind, whether he was a companion, shifter, or simply a curious creature seemed not to matter as long as he moved with relaxed purpose. He did occasionally get stopped by curious young ones and always made sure to indulge their desire to pet or gawk.

As he rounded a particularly thick tree trunk the shifter flicked his feline tongue in anticipation, he could practically taste the honey-drenched pastries he was planning to consume as he neared what was fast becoming his preferred afternoon perch. The place was a café and library of sorts, nestled just above one of the less popular markets and enclosed by a lower canopy of dense leaves that dulled sound. A balcony offered seats drenched in afternoon sunlight and a varied mix of books about topics Harroc was interested in. There were tomes on history both magical and mundane, fables and myths, and even a few books he couldn’t begin to understand that a server had helpfully explained discussed trade negotiations. To add to the indulgent pleasures, the café served a delightful mix of intricately flavorful pastries and confections that appeared to be available for a simple offer of help with dishes, organizing the books, or even running orders and ingredients to distant customers.

He had never truly had the chance to indulge in sweets as a child. To his mother’s words there was never time and the benefits burned too easily. Honeys and dews also took space that more effective food could fill in packs that were always near bursting. And yet, here in the city he could fill his time not spent training and learning with gentle sunlight and delicious foods. He was enjoying the pleasant beauty of civilization more and more with each passing day.
Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on January 3rd, 2020, 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Word count: 342
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Fae
Class: Wizard and Bard

Re: Seeing Magic in Simple Things

Post by Roridula Lunatus »

Scowling, Rory stomped down the walkways of Ajteire. The librarian had insisted - increasingly firmly - that Rory find somewhere else to spend the afternoon. Another patron had said something about a cafe with books, so Rory decided she’d find it. Then she’d only come to the library once in the morning to shelve her one basket, get her five books, and leave. She huffed and shrugged her shoulders.

As she wove through the people on the walkways, she wished she was better at flying. The practice it would take to build up more strength would take away from time she’d rather spend reading, though. Nearing the market, she heard the hum of people talking and moving about. Crowds were never her favorite thing, and though this was one of the smaller markets, Rory planned to move away as quickly as she could.

An enormous black cat padded down the walkway, tail swaying behind. The cat turned and entered an archway tucked behind a tree trunk; she wouldn’t have noticed it if the cat hadn’t shown her. Curiously, she followed behind the feline.

Well, whoever it - they - were, they knew good places. Rory inhaled the scent of fresh-baked pastries and old books. She peered in. There was a pool of afternoon sunlight creeping in from one side, with a wall of leaves behind it. She couldn’t even see the market she knew was beyond it.

“Coming in?” The fae behind the counter asked, leaning forward.

“I was - I guess so,” Rory said, taken off guard. She moved into the space proper, and saw a number of comfortable seats and benches sectioned off with bookshelves. Her eyes grew wide and she turned to the counter. Its glass front showed off a number of different pastries, sweets, and other yummy treats.

“We have teas, juices, and other drinks if you like,” the fae said. They had lime-green hair that curled around the right side of their face and dancing golden eyes. They smiled at Rory, amused at her fascinated staring. “I recommend the fig pastries, here,” they said, pointing at a circular confection.

Rory nodded, a bit dazed. “And I can sit anywhere? What’s the rules about books? Can they be borrowed or just in here?” All her questions caught up with her suddenly.

The server laughed. “Yes, try to be careful with them, but the books stay here.” Gesturing, they swept a hand over the case. “First one will be my treat. I’m Colle, by the way.”

“Um, I’ll try the fig. And I’m Rory.” She waited as Colle plated the pastry for her. “This might sound weird, but did you see a giant cat come in here?”

“Oh, him? He’s becoming one of the regulars,” Colle said, handing Rory the plate. “Although usually less furry.” Colle gave Rory a more professional smile. “Can I help you find some books?”

“Have anything on magic?” Rory asked, trying to figure out why Colle’s smile had changed. Until she’d asked about the cat, they seemed more friendly.

“Right this way,” they said, coming out from behind the counter. Coming to a bookshelf that separated a sunlit bench from a cluster of chairs, Colle pointed. “This shelf here, and the next two down, have books about magic. If you’re looking for something specific, ask; we’ve got a list of what we have behind the counter.” Colle gave Rory a half-smile. “Let me know if you’ve got questions about - anything, really.”

Rory turned to the books. There were a number of titles she hadn’t seen before. “I think I’ll be okay. Thanks,” she said, with a slightly preoccupied smile as she scanned the shelf. She picked up one that looked promising - “Pyromancy for Halfwits” was the title, blazoned across a bright yellow cover. She tucked it under her arm and kept looking.
Last edited by Roridula Lunatus on December 23rd, 2019, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 660
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc had offered the front server an exaggerated cat wink as he ambled past them. He was up on small favors and jobs, so would owe nothing today unless he selected something particularly extravagant. He’d learned they were named Colle, and on his second visit when he’d worked up the courage to ask, learned they simply decided to keep their choices between he and she a secret. He’d gotten an interesting wink when he’d asked, he still wasn’t sure what it meant.

When he’d reached his preferred table, nestled with the back against a particularly leafy trellis, he took a short hop and shifted to his natural two-legged form. After letting the roiling green smoke fade away, he slid lazily into what was slowly becoming ‘his chair’. A book was already on the table, one he’d been reading the prior day so intently that Colle had been forced to actually prod him with a finger to get his attention. He grinned and opened the thick bark-bound tome to the rough middle and scanned the words.

He’d been learning an interesting technique for channeling earth into a construct. The idea was to build up to things like stone spears and shields, but Harroc mostly found it fun to watch his essence flow in and around a sphere of rock that roiled like boiling water. He’d learned several similar techniques from the druids and his mother, but they had all been brutal utilitarian things and none had been so interesting to simply watch.

He found his place, a section discussing adding additional elements to his construct, and tilted his head with a frown. He didn’t know any other elements, only the earth that flowed through his body. He briefly thought of Mara, with her etched pathways of brilliant light. After a moment of idle thought he shook his head, bringing his attention back to the now.

With a shrug, he reached into his bag and placed a lump of stone onto the table. He looked at the stone, and smiled. It was such a simple thing on the outside, grey and craggy. Inside though, it was filled with faint traces of many pathways. For some reason this particular rock was extremely friendly to essence. With a slow sweep of his hand, Harroc projected his essence from his legs, up through his chest, and out his open palm. He filled the stone near to the brim before wrapping more essence around the outside. When he was done he lifted it with a thought.

He’d learned to eschew the gesture he normally used entirely by accident. He’d been eating a particularly gooey treat, and managed to drop it on himself by accident. When he glanced over and found he was still guiding his stone around the table he’d been so shocked that the rock fell immediately and near clattered off the platform. Colle had saved the day then, and had just chuckled at his offer of anything in return. The stone began to bubble, melting as if made of ice, and Harroc tightened his field of essence. Today, if he couldn’t find another element, he would simply practice squeezing and compressing the essence inside the densely packed rock.
Word count: 548
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Crossing to the third shelf Colle had indicated, Rory glanced over at a man sitting at a table, book open in front of him. He had a rock as big as his fist - wait, now it was a sphere? She watched unabashedly as the man made it morph, the surface rippling as though it was boiling. The stone floated lazily above the table, clearly controlled somehow by the man.

‘How was he doing that?’ wondered Rory. Well, no questions asked meant no answers gained. She trotted over to the table, staring at the stone. “That’s awesome! How are you doing that? Is it some kind of wind magic?” She flicked her gaze up at the man as she set her books and pastry on the table.

“And the thing where it looked like it was boiling, what was that? How did you make it change shape?” Rory reached out a hand to touch the stone, but stopped. People didn’t like you touching their things, she reminded herself, no matter how interesting they were. She reluctantly pulled her hand back and tucked it next to her book pile.

Colle came over to the table with an amused but concerned look on their face. “Did you need anything, Harroc?” they asked the man. They were clearly suppressing a grin.
Word count: 220
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc almost lost control of the essence he was weaving when a small lavender-skinned woman just - appeared - in his awareness. Thankfully, his practice from the prior day, and many years of hunting, kept the roiling orb of stone aloft and in one piece. He focused his attention on the fae woman and offered a slightly confused smile. She was asking him questions he assumed, but he hadn’t actually caught any of them. When she reached out her hand he felt like his mother for an instant, dealing with his own wild curiosity and disregard as a child. She held back, though clearly reluctantly, and then Colle was there as well.

Harroc concentrated for an instant, shoving a wash of power into the spell and forcing his essence to work without his control while he focused on Colle’s face. “Yes, the tea from yesterday, the one that smells like you, and something with lots of honey. I think I might be here for a while,” he said, giving a broad grin to the server. “I offer again, any favor you want for saving my stone. It has been beyond helpful.”

Harroc turned his attention back to his new table companion. "You will need to ask your questions again, I did not catch any of them, but I am happy to answer whatever you ask if I can," he said, mentally adjusting his essence control to stop the rock from drifting its way off the table.

Colle laughed, a soft musical thing, and gave Harroc a wink. There was the faintest blush to their cheeks and they looked away immediately. “Before that, if you're going to be joining Harroc, can I get you anything to drink or eat?” they said, looking over at Rory.
Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on March 8th, 2020, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 296
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

“Um, tea would be nice,” Rory said. “What would you recommend with the fig pastry?” She pointed to the still untouched sweet.

“I’ve got a black tea, a little dry, that would go well,” Colle suggested. “Is that what you’d like?”

“Sure,” Rory said agreeably. Colle smiled and left to go back to the counter. Rory turned to Harroc. “Sorry. I got excited. I was wondering if you’d tell me what you were doing to that stone and how you were doing it,” she said softly while looking at the stone. She ducked her head a bit; getting caught out being rude made her feel ashamed.

“It looked really interesting, and I’m trying to learn as much as I can about magic,” Rory continued. The man - Harroc, she guessed - sat still while she spoke. Trying not to stare, she tried to figure out if he was an elf or a human or something else. He looked sort of elfy; his build was like theirs, and his skin was a warm tone similar to some of the other Kerasokan elves she’d seen around town, but he was doing magic.

“So, um, what was that you were doing?” Rory asked. She pulled her plate toward her. “I’d like to know.”
Word count: 216
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc turned his grin on Rory, nodding as he actually heard her questions. “Curiosity is good, it leads to challenge and facing those leads to knowledge,” he said as if reciting a passage from an oft repeated lecture. He felt his control of the stone wane as he focused on the conversation. He reached his hand out and gently guided the stone back to his palm, using the motions to focus his intent.

“As far as I can tell, it is just a rock on the outside, but inside it carries many criss-crossing pathways for essence,” Harroc said, turning the stone slowly in his hands. “They are not all earth either, I believe I can see fire and perhaps water as well. Though, I cannot explore those alone.”

He held the stone out to the fae and released the last of his essence. Given the object’s capability, the excess power would dissipate from the stone more slowly than usual. “Can you see the pathways? I am beginning to think my ability to do so is rare for its ease if not its existence.”

After a moment he tapped the open tome in front of him. “I learned the particular technique you saw from this book. It is designed for training control and has some things I had not even thought of. Most of my training centered around gathering and guiding more than storing and control.”

Harroc was interested to see if this woman could perhaps point him to further knowledge. Despite his disagreements with his order’s teachings, he still had the desperate thirst for knowledge and improvement carved into the core of his being from years of rigorous instruction.

Besides, Colle would bring sweets, and maybe they would sit and talk with him again. He liked Colle, they were easy to talk to, and their laugh reminded him of gentle rain in the early morning.
Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on May 16th, 2020, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 317
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

“Essence?” Rory tilted her head. “Like magical energy? You see the traces it leaves behind?” She picked up the stone, holding it in her hand and staring. It looked like an ordinary stone, but it felt - buzzy, sort of. Squinting, she tried to concentrate but she couldn’t really point to anything in particular.

Holding her hand over the stone, she said, “Sykel najaym {magic reveal}.” Focusing her attention into the magic detection spell, she narrowed in on the sensation, the fizzy rush of magic. “Cruf sa {show me}.” Slowly, she saw what looked like cracks inside the rock, running through it in all directions. Some seemed to have faint colors along their lines; maybe they were different kinds.

Rory sat the rock down on the table and closed her eyes for a moment. Letting out a slow breath and shaking her head to clear it, she looked up at Harroc. “I saw a bunch of different - cracks, or something, running all through that rock. What is it? The lines were all different colors, going in every direction.”

She thought for a moment. “Some I saw better than others, the reddish ones.” Sitting back in her seat, she pulled out her notebook and scribbled a few notes about what spell she’d cast and what she’d seen. Rory flipped through a few pages. “I’ve been focusing on pyromancy lately. Maybe fire magic?”

Rory picked up the pastry and took an enormous bite. The spell wasn’t all that taxing, but the focus always made her a tiny bit scatterbrained right after. ‘Colle had been right; the fig was delicious,’ Rory thought.

As if summoned, Colle reappeared with Rory and Harroc’s teas. “Here you go,” they said as they set the cups down. “Ah, how’d you like the fig?” they asked Rory, who was hastily brushing crumbs from her mouth.

“‘Sgood,” Rory mumbled through a full mouth. She took a sip of her tea, swallowed, and tried again. “It’s good. Really good. Thank you,” she said, giving the other fae a smile.

Colle grinned. “Told you.” They turned to Harroc. “Your sweets are almost cool - I’m just making more honey glaze to go on top, so give me a moment.” Colle winked at him and walked back to the kitchen. Rory watched them go, appreciating the gentle wave of their wings as they walked.
Word count: 402
Harroc Crownegrove
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Harroc frowned when Rory seemed confused by his choice of words. He nodded at her own explanation. “My father was an elemental, his essence formed into my own. This allows me to see the paths and concentration of the energies if I concentrate,” he said by way of answer.

His eyes sparkled with excitement when Rory focused on the stone. He saw the magic flow from inside her, and then out of her. It formed into a construct, passing from her breath, from her fingers, from her eyes, even from her wings. It drifted for a moment, and then moved as if tugged. The essence all flowed together to make a series of lines that coalesced into a triangle with equal sides. The shape snapped into place and formed around the stone, tightening as she spoke further words.

He barely held his fascination in check as he watched her examine the stone. This was nothing like his own essence weaving, or the ritual casting of the Druids. It was amazing to see other ways of working magic. When Rory finished and explained her findings he nodded slowly.

“I believe that would make sense. Your magic is not at all like mine, it flows out in almost a cloud. It comes out of your eyes, your mouth, your wings, your fingers, and then you shape it into rigid forms. My essence magic moves more like sand carried along a river. It flows along and is guided by my inner paths before being released. My Druid magic is all rite and ritual, channeled through objects and words of power.”

He grinned as the fae indulged in Colle’s sweets. It was clear he was not alone in his appreciation, and then, as if by their own magic, the cafe worker was there again. Harroc felt himself grinning more broadly as Colle spoke to him. “So bright and friendly, truly a good person,” he said distractedly. “I wonder if I am missing a joke with the winking. I know friends share them when something amusing is done, but I do not see what there was to wink about.”

Finding his thoughts wondering about the small flutters of Colle’s wings more than was perhaps polite, Harroc gave himself a shake. “You are a wizard of some kind? I have only seen the sort of rigid shapes from a cleric and a wizard before,” he asked Rory, turning his attention back to the table. “You made a shape with your magic like-” he swept his fingers on the table, indicating the triangle he'd seen. “And then it tightened around the stone when you spoke again. Are these words of power, or intent? I know they are different, but not exactly how.”
Last edited by Harroc Crownegrove on May 16th, 2020, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 457
Roridula Lunatus
Character
"Where's the library?"
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

“So you use a focus for druid magic, and then your - usual magic just kind of flows through you?” Rory asked, looking for clarification. “The way it was explained to me is that the lines and diagrams kind of shape the magic and focus it. If it’s a complex spell, the diagrams get more complex too.”

She took another bite out of the pastry and chewed thoughtfully. “As for words having power or just intent, I guess it’s both? I got in trouble in the library yesterday for reading a spell out of a book aloud even though I wasn’t really intending to cast anything, but then - poof - some lint by the table burst into flames.” Her cheeks flamed red. “The librarian was not very happy about that.”

“My spells are usually in an ancient elven dialect called Anarelda. What about your druid spells? Is it like a special language or incantation or what?” Rory asked, leaning forward. She saw the small cookie on the saucer next to Harroc’s teacup. “As for the winking and Colle - maybe they like you? Like, they’re interested in you?”
Word count: 194