a dreamer's city adventure

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Aella Tiamat
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 65c
Race: Elemental and Human
Class: Summoner

a dreamer's city adventure

Post by Aella Tiamat »

Part 1: The Three Beacons, Upward Opinions

Aella had long dreamed of adventures outside what often felt like the very strict confines of her neighbourhood in the slums. However, this is the only world she knew, and it even though she was full of imagination it always felt as though the adventures she longed for were just out of her reach.

Everything about the slums was suffocating.

The cramped living arrangements.

Many share houses or homes.

In her case, her mothers orphanage was always overfull of young children with no place to go.The streets were narrow and given the sheer number of people living in the streets were often just a sea of people, pushing and shoving into one another like a herd of animals. The alleyways were even more narrow.

Worst of all the air was always hot and stale.

But not here…

Aella had made her way to the lighthouse today, one of the great beacons of Fellsgard. Or they were once the shining great beacons of Fellsgards. Now only one of the three lighthouses was still operational. It's not coincidental that it was the lighthouse where Cecilia met her fate. The great Cecilia of Fellsgard, a hero to the people.

Aella found a small bench near to the lighthouse, taking a seat on the bench she sighed and allowed her lungs to open wide and take a deep breath of the fresh air. It felt like breathing for the first time without the dust of the slums. The clean, more crisp air hitting her lungs as she took in the sights in front of her. The lighthouse was awe inspiring, even today after all it had survived. Filled with so much history, such an integral part to the city of Fellsgard and to the world as a whole.

Sitting in front of such a seemingly magical, important place it was easy to lose yourself. Especially when you were such a small insignificant piece of the whole puzzle. Cecilia represented bravery. She was the hope the people needed. Her warmth could almost still be felt throughout the city to this day, even more so here outside of one of her lighthouses. Her innovation truly shaped the world Aella was part of today. Aella again was only a small, insignificant part of that puzzle.

Her mother was devout to Archaicism, but that didn't stop her daughter for contemplating the importance of idolism in their society. Aella wanted to be like Cecilia, she wanted a purpose that wasn't below the poverty line in the dust and dirt. She wanted to be a hero.

But how would a poor girl from the slums ever compare to Cecilia the Hero of Fellsgard.

As the warmth from the last rays of sunlight hit her face, Aella breathed a sigh of despair when she realized her temporary freedom was over. Today her chores were short and allowed for this little adventure off from the slums. Normally she would be busy running chores for the orphanage or crafting clothes.

"I better be off", she thought to herself as she turned to head away from the lighthouse. She paused just before it would be out of her sight again just to view the sunset behind the lighthouse one more time before heading back home. It really was breathtaking.

Around the corner Aella picked up the pace. The sun was setting and she was off on her own still quite far from home and should have really returned earlier. Surely her mother would have missed the hands to help with the dinner for the children. She shouldn't have lost track of time, but that area had such a calming aura.

At the crossroads ahead Aella had a quick decision to make. She had come to the lighthouse from the slums, north through the trade district. She could use her same route home, however there was a shorter more direct route home that would have her cut a short time through the noble district and down through the urban district. With the sun setting quickly, Aella opted for the more direct route.

Normally Aella avoided the noble district. In fact her mother had told her to avoid the noble district. The issue with class in this city was it was abundantly clear. You didn't confuse a noble girl from a girl of the slums and it was safe to say the opposite was true as well. Aella would stand out in the crowd, and for all the wrong reasons.

As she shuffled through the streets she tried to keep her eye-line downturned and un-attentive to those around her, but her eyes couldn't help but dart upward every now towards the faces that passed.

Aella had learned when she was young it didn't matter the emotions behind the eyes of the upper class when encountering you, it never felt good.

There were those who would look at you with disgust. How dare you be in their streets, you should be back where you belong in the slums. This was the expected outcome, and it was maybe easier to swallow maybe because it was expected.

Others would meet your glance with pity written all over their face. At least these seemed to feign caring toward the lower class, not that they would likely ever show any outward support in ways that would make a difference. But the pity was there... all over their faces making you feel a little worse about yourself.

And then there were those who mocked the very idea of your existence. They would chuckle, snicker or whisper as they passed. You were the joke, your existence was somehow a joke to them. They wouldn't have known what a day was like in your life but they were sure at the very least you were in some way comedy relief.

Just the looks, sometimes the whispered comments or the quick shuffle to the opposite side of the street. The pierced almost stronger than any dagger surely would. It's not a kill shot, it's almost just a slow torture.

Fortunately though the trip through the noble district was quicker than she expected and she ran into less people than she had expected so this decision she chalked up to a win on her part. It was almost a small nod to herself that in a pinch she would make the right decision.

The urban district was perhaps the district that she visited the most. There wasn't as much of a gap in wealth between the urban district and the slums. There were great shops here. In fact, there was an armourer that Aella sold the garments she made to for extra cash and sometimes in trade. That was how she managed to get her hands on some very basic gear, should she ever get to venture out of Fellsgard.

Aella's stomach growled as she passed by her favourite bakery. On occasion she would stop for a treat from the bakery but unfortunately today she had no coins on her person and was running out of time. The rumbling of her stomach only made her want to get home more quickly. By this time the sun was nearly set, and the nights sky was slowly darkening.

The slums weren't a place you wanted to be a young woman alone in the streets or alleyways late in the evening.

"I need to get home...", she muttered to herself as she turned the corner for the slums.

Word count 1228
Last edited by Aella Tiamat on March 19th, 2021, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 1248
Aella Tiamat
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 65c

Re: a dreamer's city adventure

Post by Aella Tiamat »

Part 2: An Ill Favored Wind

“Aella!”

The crimson haired young woman spun on her heel instinctively turning in the direction of the voice who had shouted her name. With a tilted head and a crooked smile she made direct eye contact with the young man. But before she was able to respond in any regard, a hard, unforgiving shoulder bumped into her knocking her to the ground.

The young man, who had been metres away, had sprinted to be there at the point in which she looked up. Looking up at the very familiar face, she reached her right hand to grasp his, which aided her in pulling herself to her feet. Aella didn’t want to make the same mistake twice, stopping in the pathways where people walked in the slums was going to result in collisions. Aella shifted her body out of the direct path of others and off to the side where she could speak to an old friend.

“Are you alright… I didn’t mean to… well I mean you kinda just stood there”

“Yes I am fine. Just dazed I guess.” Aella replied, blowing a stray strand of hair from her face. “It’s good to see you Puck, how have you been?”

The young man standing in front of her was very familiar to her. Aella didn’t have a traditional family, being that she was dropped off at the orphanage. But the housemother of the orphanage was like her mother, and all the children who came and went were like her brothers and sisters. This one in particular, could be a pain in the ass but he had been one of her closest brothers in age growing up.

“I’m good. Living the luxury bachelor life of my dreams. I mean, I share the flat with some other guys… there’s like six or seven of us. Sometimes more, it just depends.”

Shaking her head ever so slightly, Aella responded to the former, little pest, “Why don’t you just come back to the orphanage. You know Ilithyia would have you. You could hel…..” Before she could finish her thought, Puck interjected.

“Aella it’s time I am off on my own. It will be your time one day too. But I actually, I mean… if you don’t mind…”

“What is it now Puck?” Aella responded with trepidation in her voice.

“I just need your help. It’s a little favour and look I can make it your while. I am doing odd jobs to make some coins. A couple of us guys were paid to fix the old windmill. There are guys that should be doing it but you know how it is in the slums… last priority. We got more of the labour done, but we really need a cog from the trade district. There are coins allotted for it, it’s not out of your pocket and we are all sharing a small wage out of the money left. So your bartering skills will come in handy. Whatever you save will go into our pockets… you’ll get a cut!”

Aella listened attentively as Puck spelled out his master money making scheme. Folding her arms across her chest and staring off into the distance she considered the proposal. “I could use some extra coin… I could put it away for a purchase from the armourer. I guess I could also give it to the orphanage, every little bit helps.

Glancing back at her younger brother figure, she squinted an eye as finalized her decision in her mind. Extending a hand in his direction, she nodded her head briefly and responded, confirming her intent to help out, “You got yourself a deal!” The pair shook hands and Aella again spun on her heel to turn away.

“And I get equal pay Puck. I won’t settle for less, we split evenly.”

“But we have done all the hard labour…” Puck sheepishly responded.

“Yes and we all bring our skills to the table. Yours has always been the brawn. I bring the beauty and the brains.” she teased back.

Puck didn’t bother arguing with Aella, he had grown up with her he knew it was futile.

Aella quickly made her way westward through the crowds of the slums to the intersection which would take her into the trade district. Once there, she would need to scout around the area to various different vendors to find the cog that Puck would need to finish repairs on the old windmill in the slums.

The trade district was perhaps the busiest of districts, but the widened streets and alleyways in comparison to the slums made it for easier passage. There were lots of people, but there was also significantly more space, especially seeing that many vendors would come and set up street sides to sell their wares. The trade district really often was a melting pot of people; it was one of the districts in Fellsgard, being that it was primarily used for trade, that you would find the rich and the poor both looking for a deal. Of course outbidding a noble on something would be next to impossible for anyone from the slums.

“Excuse me, I am looking for a cog like this…” Aella’s hand outreached to a vendor who was selling what seemed like various parts and pieces to a variety of things.

“What’s it for?” he grunted back.

“I am trying to help with repairs for the old windmill in the slums.”

The elderly gentleman shook his head, “Nay, I don’t have. Continue on, there is a small pop up shop at the end of the line, the deal in parts for windmills among other structures”

“Thank you.” she nodded with a smile.

Aella pushed on further into the trade district, occasionally stopping to take a look at the different wares along the street side. There was everything here, even imported goods that were hard to come by in Fellsgard. You could see the ships coming into the harbour, and down closer to the docks the men and the women unloading the goods.

“There it is!” she exclaimed out loud, as though she was accompanied by someone who the information would also be pertinent to. Aella spotted what looked like the small shop the vendor had mentioned. Hurriedly she made her way in that direction to grab the cog and be on her way back. If her negotiation skills were still up to par, perhaps this little adventure that got her out of the slums would also be lucrative financially.

Just before she reached the shop, something caught her eye at a small and somewhat sketchy looking vendor. Aella was used to recognizing thieves, they were rife in the slums and if she had to wager any amount of money this young man was likely one. Sometimes pick-pocketed and stolen items ended up being resold at small vendors in the trade district, she had even seen them be chased out before by guards.

There was something at this vendor's table tha caught her eye.

“Excuse me…” she approached the young man cautiously, “I would like to inquire about one of your items..”

The young man nodded.

“This here…” she pointed her right index finger in the direction of the ring she had spotted, as she instinctively clutched her ring with her left hand, which was currently on a chain around her neck. “Where did you get this ring?”

“I’ll give you a deal, 10 copper” he interjected.

“I… I don’t really have the money to buy…” she started

“If you ain’t buying lady move along” he retorted.

“Please, I just want to know where it came from. I don’t have anything I could give.” she pleaded with the young man, hoping to pull on the strings of his heart even knowing these street urchins hearts had often hardened a long time ago.

“Move along, this isn’t an item information booth” he scoffed, “You are distracting from my business and paying customers”

Aella feeling defeated took a step back from the table, her eyes still fixed on the ring on the table and her left hand gently playing with hers on its chain. She needed information on this piece of jewelry.

Stepping forward to his table, Aella re-engaged the young man in barter, “Can you hold onto it. I will offer you double if you can just hold onto it and give me any information you have on it. Please.”

“You’ve got a day. If you aren’t back by the end of day tomorrow it's off. I won’t guarantee if someone doesn’t offer me more that I won’t sell it.”

Aella would take it. It was her only choice really. Nodding her head in agreement with a gleeful, “Thanks!” before trotting off to her original destination.

Aella, confident from her barter win with the ring holder, managed to save the crew some coin on the purchase of the cog. This means there would be a little extra for each who did the work. Not wanting to waste anymore time, she made her purchase and headed off in the direction of the old windmill. Where she had lollygagged on the way into the trade district, her pace heading home had noticeably increased. Aella hoped she would be able to get the funds to cover the payment of the ring. More importantly the information.

“I’ve never seen another like it… Could it be a link to my family….. Will it simply be a dead end, a disappointment.”

Aella’s mind was so filled with thoughts on the walk back it had hardly felt like enough time to blink and be back. Slipping into the crowd of people, Aella navigated her way through he sea of people to the old windmill. Puck was standing just outside near the pathway from the main road. Aella jogged in his direction.

“I got it!” she cheered, “And saved us a couple extra coins. Not much but it will give everyone a little extra.” she finished with a nod.

“Alright, awesome! I will need your help with the finishing touches, and then we are done. It should be back up and running afterward.”

Aella nodded.

Inside the windmill, Puck pointed to an area of the windmills gears which had been opened and left exposed. It was quite high off the ground and it didn’t appear there was any ladder nearby.

“Up there, there is a spot to snap the cog into. That should fix the problem. We won’t bother placing the cover over top, I will try and make sure to keep the cogs and gears well oiled. I hope to snag some coin for it. Maybe I can steal the upkeeps job”

“It’s always a scheme with you…” Aella laughed.

“I am going to boost you up. Snap the cog in place and VOILA! It should start working afterward.”

Aella nodded affirmatively.

Puck boosted Aella up, unsteady at first but finding his footing he was able to stabilize her while she snapped the cog into position. The gears instantly seemed to kick into gear. That seemed to have fixed the issue, for now at least. Stepping outside the two orphans looked up at their collective accomplishment. The windmill was turning again in the breeze.

“Another problem solved!” Aella exclaimed.

“And here's your cut.” Puck responded.

“Thank you!” she replied, tucking the coins in her small coin bag.

“What will you spend it on?”

Aella smiled softly in his direction, “I’ve got something in mind. I must head home now, why don’t you come by the orphanage tonight for dinner. I am sure Ilithyia would love to see you… and you can get a free meal”

Puck nodded.

Aella started on her journey back to the orphanage. As she walked through the crowd fingers made their way to the ring on the chain again as she pondered all the possibilities. She had always dreamed of who she was, where she came from, anything about herself or her family. But perhaps this was the closest she ever came to real answers.
Last edited by Aella Tiamat on March 19th, 2021, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 2041
Aella Tiamat
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 65c

Post by Aella Tiamat »

Part 3: Humble Evenings

After returning home from an eventful afternoon in the trade district and helping younger brother Puck fix the windmill and make some extra coin, Aella finished her afternoon catching up on her chores. There was laundry to be done, as well as many garments to be repaired from wear and tear. Aella had learned to construct garments from the constant repairs she was required to do to keep the children clothed throughout all seasons.

After the clothing was done it was onto preparing dinner for the evening. Stews were popular in the orphanage. Not popular in the way that they were necessarily requested or well liked, but they were the best way to make a hearty meal and stretch that meal for as many mouths and at times for more than one meal. You could utilize whatever vegetables you had gotten your hands on that week and if you were really like there would be meat for the stew as well.

Ilithyia received some funding from the government in place to care for the orphaned children, but it was minimal at best. Luckily a lot of people in the community supported the orphanage, even though they don’t have much themselves, and donate what they can to help the orphanage stay afloat. It’s in the best interest of the community after all, it keeps the children off the streets and out of trouble. Of course you cannot save them all.

Aella’s mind was still racing with possibilities after her discovery of a matching ring to hers she had come across in the trade district earlier. She had considered telling her mother of its existence, perhaps she could even spare some coin to help her purchase it. In the end she had decided against it. She knew her mother, she took what Aella’s birth mother said very seriously. She believed she needed to shield Aella, and poking around in the past wouldn’t be a way of remaining discreet.

“Aella, the stew is nearly finished dear. Why don’t you go ahead and set the table. Call the children in after as well, they should be out back cleaning the alley. I hope they listened this time and didn’t get distracted.” Ilithyia spoke from where she was perched next to her pot of dinner, dutifully stirring it over the fire.

Aella made her way to grab the dishes, and then she remembered she had forgotten to mention inviting Puck for dinner. “I saw Puck earlier today…”

“Ah, how was he? Keeping well? Last I saw of him he was trying to lock down some solid work”

Aella nodded her head, although her mother wasn’t looking in her direction to notice the non verbal cue, “Yes, well I helped him with one of his jobs today. I invited him for dinner this evening, I hope that’s ok, I thought you would want to see him”

“Lovely idea! Make sure to set an extra seat then… we might have to shift after some of the smaller ones.”

The orphanage was a cramped space. They were lucky and unlike others in the slums their home wasn’t shared with other families, however that didn’t mean their space was any less cramped. Currently there was Ilithyia and Aella living there as far as adults go and then there were also eight young children ranging from four years of age to about sixteen. The second floor was used only for sleeping, and the rooms were cramped. On the main floor it was quite an open concept. The hearth was in the back of the small home, with only limited counter space for preparation. The center of the home was in the majority taken up by a large wooden table which had been built some years ago from scrap wood.

Ilithyia would often tell the story of the table being a present from some of the first orphans she raised. Prior to having the large wooden table, which was next to impossible to move, the kids all sat in a circle on the floor during dinner. The two young men wanted to repay the woman who raised them so they provided her with a table she would be able to raise future generations at. The very table Aella was raised at.

“Heya Illy!” Puck addressed his former housemother by a nickname he had given her as a child from the entrance of the home, proceeding over the threshold he continued toward the older woman, “I brought some rolls. I could only spare enough for four. But they are fresh… ish from the bakery”

Ilithyia nodded with a warm smile, “You know what to do, the bread knife is in the drawer.” she finished nodding her head in the direction of the drawer.

“How many are there then?” Puck questioned the room, looking to both Aella and Ilithyia for an answer.

“It would be 11, including you.” Aella responded, as she placed the last of the utensils in the centre of the table.

Puck nodded and began to cut the rolls into four parts each. It was customary here, no matter what it was; food, toys, clothing… it had to be evenly divided. Everyone needed their fair share. But they had also been taught to help one another when needed. That meant that sometimes you had to sacrifice for others.

Aella made her way to the backdoor which opened to the alleyway. The children were all outside and in fact had done their chores as asked. Now they were playing in the alley that really had to double as their activities yard. There was no outdoor space near your homes, being they were basically piled on top of one another. But the children made do.

“Dinner is served.” Aella shouted to the children, when they looked in her direction she jokingly curtsied to them as though she was their servant. A warm smile cracked her lips as they all quickly picked themselves up from the activities they were engaged in and sprinted for their home. It was also true they knew not to be late to dinner in case someone does decide to help themselves to any extras.

Back inside the children all quickly scampered to one end of the table. They were not long grabbing their dishes and collecting their share, with a surprise treat of a piece of roll from Puck. And as hungry as they were they waited for Ilithyia to be seated before eating. Aella took a set near the head of the table next to Puck. Ilithyia took her seat at the head of the table. As she sat all children, including Aella and Puck turned their attention to her.

“Before we enjoy this food that has been prepared before us, we give thanks to Ristgir, he who’s gifts are plentiful. Our provider of strength, warmth and a light at the end of the dark tunnel.”

“Ristgir!” they collectively repeated.

As everyone began eating and enjoying the food prepared by Ilithyia, most were silent as they ate. Puck leaned in toward Aella, speaking softly to not be overheard by the others he questioned.

“You seemed like you had a plan for that money, what’s up?”

Aella hesitated. There was a part of her that wanted to share with him, they had grown up like siblings and had always been so close. In fact if anyone knew how much Aella longed to find out more about who she was it was Puck. They had many long conversations about it as children. With Puck there was no mystery. He knew how he had lost his parents, there was no fairytale that was going to bring them back. For Aella there was always hope.

As she hesitated and considered the possibility of sharing the news with her brother, something caught her attention down the table. One of the younger boys handed his share of bread over to one of the younger girls in the orphanage Rosa. She had recently come to them and was still quite weak. It warmed her heart to see that even these children, like her and the other children before were able to thrive despite their circumstances.

“Later…” Aella whispered back in Puck’s direction. It wasn’t the time now, Ilithyia would not approve and she couldn’t handle the look of disappointment she would face should she find out. If they were able to make the deal happen by tomorrow with that trade dealer for the ring and information then she would have more information. With Puck aiding her they would have an even better chance.

“OY! GET YER HAND OUT OF THE POT JACOBI… we all gotta eat from that!” Ilithyia shouted down the table at one of the more rambunctious boys.

Aella and Puck chuckled. Nothing had changed, just like when they were young they were well mannered and well trained… at least maybe most of the time.
Word count: 1501
Aella Tiamat
Character
Level
23 / 23 HP
21 / 21 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 65c

Post by Aella Tiamat »

Once dinner had concluded, and while Ilithyia was distracted with the children Aella guessed it was as good of a time as ever to fill Puck in on her plan. After gathering his attention, Aella motioned her head toward the back door of the home, the one which led to the alleyway. Puck was confused at first, but when Aella repeated her gesture with widened eyes he understood his sister's intent.

“Well I should really be going now Illy! Thank you again for dinner.”

“You are always welcome here, Puck. Safe travels, and keep yourself out of trouble. No amount of money is worth trouble, remember that.” Ilithyia responded.

Nodding his head with a smile, Puck began making his way toward the rear exit of the house. Aella would take this chance to see him off in the back alley and explain herself from earlier in the day. In the alley they would have privacy.

“I am just going to see him out. I will be back in a few minutes and I can help you ready the children for bed.” Aella shot out quickly, as she too made her way toward the back exit. “I won’t be long…” she said trailing off as she followed Puck through the backdoor.

“So what is so top secret you can’t say it in front of Ilithyia?” Puck questioned almost immediately as the door closed behind them, a smirk stretched across his face from ear to ear.

“Shhh!” Aella hushed the young boy as she moved away from the door and took a few steps further into the alley. “It’s not top secret…. It’s just… private” she responded, still searching for the words to use to describe it. It wasn’t that she prided herself in actively defying Ilithyia, but the fact of the matter was she was a grown woman who should have more autonomy over her own life and not have to worry about what her mother thinks at every turn.

“When I went to the trade district earlier, there was a vendor there…” she paused a moment pacing in front of her younger brother, gathering her thoughts, “He was one of those sketchy pop up vendors… you know the kind. He basically had a table of what I assume are stolen goods. Selling them at a fraction of the price they are actually worth. He’s trying to move his stolen goods.”

“And you are thinking to bust a criminal?” Puck suggested.

“No, no, no!” she shot back at his response, “When I was passing toward the shop I noticed a ring on the table. Puck it’s the exact same ring as mine. The one that was left with me as a baby. The stone, the band, everything. I couldn’t believe it. Now I know the ring itself may not prove of value to me, but if this guy knows where it came from. Who the previous owners are… it may help me understand who I am and where I came from.”

“So your plan is to?”
the young fair haired man inquired.

“I have offered him double to hold onto the ring until tomorrow. If I can come up with the money I can purchase the ring and get some information out of him as to its origins. It’s the first real glimmer of hope I’ve had at finding out more about myself, my family and my history. But I need more coins. If we can find an odd job to complete tomorrow I should be able to make it back to the trade district before the end of the day and get my answers.”

Puck nodded his head, understanding in his eyes, “You sure about this. You know Ilithyia always told you not to try and go poking around in your past because it ma…”

“ay be dangerous… yes I know.” Aella completed his sentence before he was able to finish, “She is just worried. I don’t know what happened on the evening I came into her care but I know she has always been convinced I am in some grave danger, but what for? What would anyone want with a poor orphan in the slums? People barely notice me in the streets. I just want some answers.”

“Alright. I will go by the job postings tomorrow, I will see if there is anything we can do to earn some quick coins. Let’s meet back at the windmill tomorrow and go from there.” Puck concluded, taking a few steps backward toward the main street.

Aella nodded her head.

“And not a word…” Aella added for reassurance.

“Cross my heart…” Puck said jokingly, using his index finger to draw an imaginary “X” across his heart.

Aella barely slept the night before. Most of the night she tossed and turned in anticipation of today’s adventure. If her and Puck were successful, by the end of the day she would have the ring in her possession and more importantly information on where it came from or who it belonged to. When the early morning sun began beaming in through the windows Aella took it as her cue and sprung quickly to life preparing for the day.

Aella completed her morning chores at record speed. It was as though she was on autopilot in fast forward. She needed to ensure she had as much of the day free as possible, Puck would be searching for odd jobs and it was hard to tell what there would be and how long it would take. Once everything was completed Aella excused herself and headed off in the direction of the slums windmill.

Puck was already waiting just outside the windmill. Puck threw a hand in the air to catch Aella’s attention, beckoning her in his direction. The early morning sun beamed down on the pair as they met to discuss the odd jobs for the day.

“G’morning Aella!” Puck exclaimed excitedly, it was clear he had good news to share and he didn’t wait long before blurting it out, “I was out early this morning, scouting so to speak for work. There wasn’t much posted, well nothing within our skill range anyway. But since we did so well at repairing I thought perhaps….”

“I am not that good at repairing myself” Aella interjected.

“Here me out…”
Puck continued, a smirk widening on his face, “So the roads just south of the slums heading out of Fellsgard are very rough. So rough in fact a lot of the trade vendors who carry their goods via wagon through those roads have damaged their wagons and at times even lost valuable goods because of it.”

“Okay…” Aella’s brow furrowed, as she tried to place exactly what Puck was getting at in his master scheme.

“So this is where we come in. We go there, and help a damsel in distress... or a male damsel in distress, what do you call that? A man-sel in distress?” Puck veered off his original thought pondering the proper vernacular.

“But, how do you know that a wagon will break down for sure? We could be waiting there for hours, it may not even happen.” Aella appreciated her brother's enthusiasm, but unfortunately his plan seemed more of a happenstance which wouldn’t be guaranteed for the pair.

“We make certain one breaks down.” Puck’s smirk widened further across his face from ear to ear, as he held up a wrench, “I need you to be my distraction. You need to momentarily stop the wagon, distract the driver somehow. Once they are stopped I will loosen the bolts on one of the back wheels. These roads bounce the wheels around so much they often loosen bolts. Once it’s loosened step out of the way and let him on his journey. A couple bumps and that wheel will pop right off”

“Puck I don’t know…” Aella started, before getting cut off.

“I can then swoop in with my tools, help repair the wagon and we can make a little coin. I drive a hard bargain and these trade guys like to get out of the slummy area as quickly as possible. The longer he sits broken down on the outskirts of the slums the more likely he is to get looted.” Puck finished with a nod, sensing his sister's hesitancy he continued by justifying his stance on the scheme itself, “I know, this sort of scam isn’t your thing. But they scam us all the time. The rich make money off the backs of the poor. We just need to make enough money for the ring to get your answers, and no one will get hurt. Well perhaps their coin bag doesn’t come out unscathed.” he finalized with a chuckle.

Aella stood silent a moment considering the option laid out before her. This sort of scam was something she would normally not participate in, it had Puck written all over it. But this really may be her only chance, and if Puck was certain he could make it happen then she would be that much closer to getting some answers.

“I’m in…” she confirmed with trepidation.

“What… Really?!?” Puck responded, astonished that Aella had gotten on board so easily, “YEAH!” he cheered excitedly after Aella nodded her head again confirming her intent to participate in the wagon scheme. “We better head there quickly, this shouldn’t take long.”

“Here comes one!” Puck blurted, notably excited, “Do you remember the plan?”

Aella nodded her head. Taking a step past Puck to peer around the corner of the gated wall where they perched to get a view of the oncoming wagon. The wagon was being pulled by a horse. The driver looked to be one of the types of traders you see in the trade district, perhaps this was one of them with their latest shipment of goods.

Turning her attention back to the young, blonde boy she spoke softly, “So you just want me to fall in front of them? And you are sure they are going to stop?”

“I’m sure!” he shot back quickly, peering past her, over her shoulder into the background in the direction the wagon was approaching.

“Puck… You are sure right?” she repeated her question, this time through gritted teeth. “And besides, how am I supposed to make it look like I just fall in front of…” Aella’s speech was interrupted, before she was able to continue her thought Puck shouted, “Now!” and with a gentle, albeit forceful enough push knocked his elder sibling onto the ground in the direct path of the horse drawn wagon.

Aella screamed in actual fright as the horse reared up on its hind legs, coming to a quick halt long before trampling the young woman. Dust rose from underneath the horses hoofs as they smashed against the ground with force. Aella darted her eyes to glance daggers through Pucks soul to where he remained hidden behind the wall.

“Are you ok?” the merchant had climbed down from the wagon and made his way around to where Aella still remained on the ground, “You came out of nowhere! You could have been trampled, what were you doing?”

Aella looked up at the man, who looked equal parts concerned and annoyed with her. Aella shrugged her shoulders and responded, “I am fine I think. Sorry, I just tripped on something stupid…” her eyes darting toward Puck as he began making his journey to the back of the wagon to loosen the bolts. Puck made eye contact with her and smirked before disappearing behind the wagon.

“Sorry to scare you like that. I think I am fine… I will get up just one moment..” Aella spoke softly and slowly almost in an attempt to waste time. From her position on the ground she pushed herself up into a seated position before dusting some of the access dirt off her legs. The cloud of dust kicked up from the horse till lingering in the air.

Aella eventually clambered to her feet, standing just a couple feet away from the merchant and trying to keep his attention whilst looking for a sign from Puck he was finished loosening the wheels. “I feel so clumsy, sorry I must have tripped on something over there.” Aella pointed the direction from which she had fallen. The merchant turned his attention, but shaking his head he turned back toward Aella, “There’s nothing there just a pothole in the ground”

“That must have been it!” Aella suggested with a nod.

“Anyway I must be on my way…” the merchant pivoted and turned to head back to his wagon.

“No, no NO! Wait one minute!” Aella shouted at the merchant, frantically trying to regain his attention. Aella followed in his direction, her eyes darting behind the wagon. To her surprise Puck was already gone.

“What?” the merchant questioned, the level of intolerance seemingly increasing.

“Just.. have a safe journey. These roads are rough” Aella finished, pressing her lips together with a nod.

Aella stepped aside out of the merchant and the wagon's way. The merchant climbed into his seat and quickly started on his journey. Puck slinked up behind Aella, reaching his arms around her from behind he held up two bots in front of her eyes, blocking her view of the wagon as it began it’s exit.

“He won’t be getting far without these. Damn, I am good!”

In the near distance a loud thud could be heard as the two back wheels popped off the wagon as it went over one of the larger bumps in the road. The wheels went in opposite directions and the carriage came crashing down, dragging across the ground and pulling them to a halt.

“Now it’s my time to shine! I will help him get it back running for some coin wait here.” Puck ran off in the direction of the wagon to aid in the problem he had caused only moments ago.
Once they got the wagon back up and running they would run the merchant for some coins for their assistance and they would be closer to getting the ring and the information.
Word count: 2386