Way Back Home

Home to the wildest breeds of flora, Ninraih's entangled jungles cover southeastern Khy'eras. Ajteire, city of the Fae, is situated in the middle. Here, an overwhelming amount of magic and unexplained phenomenon has materialized. Read more...
Cirice Vaisha
Character
The Wildling Pirate
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 75c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Re: Way Back Home

Post by Cirice Vaisha »

His plan had the desired effect on the pirate. She tensed up and looked away for a moment, pondering his words. It wasn’t her first instinct at all... but now that he mentioned it, it made sense to her. Perhaps, subconsciously, he had a point.

She took a step back and let out a soft sigh. ”It’s not...” she started, but she couldn’t argue. She looked back to him with a dangerous vulnerability in her eyes. ”You are different. You are not a cold and heartless killer or some sly criminal. You don’t have the eyes of an animal. You’re... different.” she spoke softly. “You are the first half-decent individual that I’ve met in a while.” was what she really wanted to say, but she couldn’t say it. That was not something she could admit.

It was dangerous to let her guard down so easily. But it didn’t happen often. Rarely, in fact. But there was something to him that she trusted, confided in.

”Fuck’s sake, Darius.” she groaned and turned away, but a chuckle soon followed. ”You deserve a knighthood.” she commented, walking back to him with soft features and an outstretched hand that took hold of his collar to pull his face close to hers. ”I can count on one hand the amount of people that have seen this side of me.” she muttered before she planted a kiss on his lips.

When she pulled back, she smiled at him as her hand played with his shirt. ”...No, it’s not to cover the pain.” she muttered. ”It’s because I think I have a soft spot for you.” she admitted as her hands snaked around his sides and ushered him to the bed.

@Darius Goldmane
Word count: 297
Darius Goldmane
Character
Darius
Level
26 / 26 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Ue'drahc
Class: Druid and Fighter

Post by Darius Goldmane »

And the wall collapsed. He could see it happen, could see as she struggled to hold it together for a brief moment, then surrendered and let it come tumbling down. The woman who looked at him now wasn't the confident, completely in control pirate she had been since they reentered the city. It wasn't even the deeply hurt and aggressive animal who had almost attacked him twice today. Instead, it was the person who he'd caught a glimpse of very briefly in the forest as she'd watched him heal the tree. The vulnerable kind soul he'd seen just for an instant, before the wall went slamming back up. And as she spoke, he finally began to understand what had really been drawing him to her throughout the night.

Here was a person who could almost never feel safe. Who had to keep her barriers up constantly, for fear that someone would take advantage of them dropping for even a second. When, he wondered, was the last time she had been around someone who wouldn't take advantage of the real person behind the walls? Since she became a pirate? Maybe even before then? When was the last time she could actually feel safe with someone else? He didn't know, and couldn't begin to guess how painful that was. Even if she didn't realize it, even if it was more subconscious than anything else, living like that sounded like the worst way to live he could imagine. Now, as she stepped back to him, pulled him in, and kissed him, he knew that she felt safe with him. And he found that he wanted to give her that safety.

As she pulled him to the bed he unfurled his wings and wrapped them tightly around her, holding her as close to him as he could. He didn't say anything. For the moment, at least, he didn't need to.
Word count: 316
Cirice Vaisha
Character
The Wildling Pirate
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 75c

Post by Cirice Vaisha »

As they moved back, Cirice loosened her weapon belts and snickered as they clattered to the ground. So much for being lightly armed. His wings then came around and she allowed herself to relax in his embrace. It was naïve, stupid, probably a few other words that she couldn't think of immediately, to be acting like this. But she didn't care. She allowed herself to relax and be herself in this moment. To shelf the hard pirate and let the soft, fun-loving lady show herself. She couldn't see this happening with just anyone. And as the night ended and the passions died down, she found herself wondering if she was going to have the luxury of more moments like these with him...

It was early morning when Cirice stirred awake with a groan. It took her a moment to register what happened and where she was. It seemed that even in her dreams the sound of six bells would still wake her up, even this far from her ship. She sat up and glanced down at Darius next to her. She allowed a slight smile to creep up as she ran a hand over the scales on his arms. It was still bizarre to feel the shift from skin to scale. With a yawn she slumped back and curled into him. She could afford a few more minutes like this.

After a while she rose and quietly got all her things together. She was trying to keep quiet as to not wake him up. She wasn't good with goodbyes that didn't involve cussing or insulting the other person. It would be better if she just disappeared. He knew where to find her if he was inclined to do so.

Her plan was working nicely. Lack of sunlight through the windows coupled with her light footing kept her hidden and silent... until her belt slipped from her hand and her weapons came crashing down on the wooden floor. She flinched and slowly turned to check if he woke up...

@Darius Goldmane
Word count: 341
Darius Goldmane
Character
Darius
Level
26 / 26 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

The loud series of clanks and thumps were enough to rouse the half-breed from sleep. His eyes cracked open and he saw Cirice watching him. It took a moment for his brain to put the pieces of the day and night before together. He smiled as he realized what had happened. Honestly, he'd expected to wake up alone. He didn't figure her for the type that did goodbyes well. For a moment he toyed with the idea of rolling over and pretending to still be asleep, but there was no way she hadn't seen his eyes open. Instead he propped himself up on one arm to give his wing a chance to stretch out. It had fallen asleep at some point during the night.

"You were so close." He teased, grinning at her. "Almost pulled the perfect vanish-like-a-thief-in-the-night cliche." He'd been prepared to wake up alone, but he was very glad she was still here.

@Cirice Vaisha
Word count: 157
Cirice Vaisha
Character
The Wildling Pirate
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 75c

Post by Cirice Vaisha »

Sure enough, she was staring right into his eyes as he propped himself up. "Funny that it never happens when I'm actually stealing something." she quipped right back as she picked up her effects and dropped them on the nearby table. With a defeated sigh she made her way back to him and straddled him in one quick motion. With a soft chuckle she pushed him down against the bed and stared down at him. "I'm good with many things, but good at goodbyes isn't one of them." she muttered, rolling off him to lay beside him on the bed.

She finished fastening her leather vest and glanced to him. A hand reached over and ran along his chest as she enjoyed the silent moment between them.

"You are becoming a problem. I'm supposed to return to my crew but I'm not feeling inclined to leave already." she said with a snicker as she took a wing and used it as a blanket. "I'm going to miss these especially." she joked, scooting closer against him. She looked to him for a long moment as she contemplated her options. The right thing to do would be to pack up and leave already. To stop stalling. But everything else was telling her to stay a while longer.

Another sigh and then she sat up. "Will I see you again?" she asked on a much more serious note. "I want to know before I walk out that door whether I will see you or not." she continued, climbing over him to get off the bed.

@Darius Goldmane
Word count: 264
Darius Goldmane
Character
Darius
Level
26 / 26 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

He was happy to see that the walls hadn't gone back up yet. She was still there, looking down at him. "I think I'd be more surprised if you were good at them." he smiled, reaching up to push a strand of hair behind her ear. He watched as she finished adjusting her vest, laughing privately to himself. He had known when he left home that this new adventure would have many unexpected twists and turns. He hadn't quite expected them to come this quickly. But as they gazed at each other, neither feeling the need to break the spell of the moment, he decided that this was at least one twist he was very happy to have been a part of.

He chuckled with her as she wrapped herself in his wing. "Good, that means I'm doing something right." He pulled her closer with the wing and held her again, gently running his fingers through her hair. Then she sat up, and he could see the slight tenseness as she contemplated leaving. The walls were ready to go slamming back up.

"Does the offer to come see your ship still stand?" He asked, reaching out and putting a hand on her arm to stop her from standing. "I don't want to be getting in your way, and I know it's not safe for you, this you, to be there. I don't have to come if you don't want me too, but I'd like to see you more."

@Cirice Vaisha
Word count: 250
Cirice Vaisha
Character
The Wildling Pirate
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 75c

Post by Cirice Vaisha »

He took hold of her arm as she tried to get up, stopping her over him. She sat on her knees over him and listened to him speak, her gaze turned away for a long time as she took hold of his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. She was quiet for a long time as she thought of what he said. He had a valid point about them on the ship. Were they simply messing around and there was nothing serious between them, she wouldn't have been bothered. But this felt different. It felt more sincere.

She finally looked at him and leaned down to plant a kiss on his lips. She stayed poised over him with a smirk as her hands rested on his shoulders. "Don't expect me to be this nice on the deck. Outside of my quarters, you will not see me offering compassion or friendship beyond what my crew deserves. However..." Her hands shifted down to explore his body. "Nobody knows what happens in my cabin. Nobody needs to know. In there it's my own little realm." she muttered, laying on top of him and letting her hair dangle in his face. "But I have something more important to ask of you." she started on a more urgent note, pushing her hair aside to look at him.

"You know who I am, what I am. But do you understand it? I like you, I enjoy your company. I will not deny that. And you say now that you want to see me again, a little slice of gentleness I am willing to welcome with open arms. But... on my ship you will not see me like this. I am a pirate. I look for leads, I hunt ships, I slaughter their crews and I take what is theirs for myself, and I rarely leave survivors. It is what we do, sometimes even what we enjoy doing in some occasions. Do you still want to see me, spend time with me, maybe share my bed again, knowing that I will be committing acts no civilized person will ever condone?" she asked him, her golden gaze locked onto his eyes as she spoke. She held onto his shoulders to make sure he looked at her and couldn't turn away. It was all nice and ignorantly pleasant now, but on her ship he wasn't going to receive any treatment as nice as this outside of her cabin. He would be respected by her crew and he won't be excluded, but she wanted to make sure he understood who she was and what she did. It was the main reason why she never had any serious relationships.

"That is the thing, Darius. The crux of the matter. To the rest of the world I am a monster. Are you alright with spending time on the open waves with one of the most feared names on the waves?" she asked him as she grew more tense. This moment was what was going to dictate the duration of their companionship...

@Darius Goldmane
Word count: 512
Darius Goldmane
Character
Darius
Level
26 / 26 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

He was silent, studying her face as he pondered her words. He'd known she was a pirate, she'd been very clear about that, but somehow he hadn't really realized what that meant. As she spelled it out for him, he couldn't help but wonder if he'd made a mistake. Maybe he shouldn't have let this go as far as it did. Maybe he should let her walk out the door and have both of them move on with their lives. They wouldn't be a good match, of that he was slowly beginning to be sure. Certainly he wouldn't enjoy being around such barbaric acts, and he most definitely wouldn't participate in them. Any thought of being friends, alright, or lovers with such a person was clearly insane.

And yet...he studied Cirice's face, seeing the tension there. She was worried, he could tell, that he would reject her. Which was odd, for someone who claimed to be so violent and uncaring, to genuinely be worried about loosing the respect and trust of someone she had just met yesterday. The contradictions in this woman were so great that he couldn't just think of her as a murderous cutthroat, not after seeing who she was underneath all the walls.

"Can I ask what it is about being a pirate that you enjoy?" He said, still looking into her eyes. "Do you like killing people, terrifying them, stealing from them?" He did his absolute best to keep any notes of recrimination or judgement out of his voice. He was genuinely curious. More importantly, he needed to know if he'd judged her wrong.

@Cirice Vaisha
Word count: 271
Cirice Vaisha
Character
The Wildling Pirate
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 75c

Post by Cirice Vaisha »

She laid her head against his chest and closed her eyes for a moment as she thought his question over. She knew why she lived the life, did what she did. She just never had cause to put it into actual words. After a few moments she lifted her head up. She had her answer.

"Everything." she stated. "The freedom for the most part. When I'm at the helm of my ship, I am free to go wherever I want, do whatever I want, and enjoy everything life has to offer without owing anything to anyone. And if I'm wronged, I can make it right however I see fit. No courts, no judge or guards. Just me and the other person." she explained, her gaze lowering for a moment. "And when we chase a ship... when the cannons roar, the men shout and swords collide... the thrill of the fight... it's intoxicating. Knowing that one wrong step or move can be the end of me... and clashing swords with an opponent who knows how to spot those moments... there's nothing like it." she looked back into his eyes and placed a hand on his chest. "All of it. The thrill of the hunt, the freedom to experience what others only dream of, the riches that rival that of the pompous lords we rob... it's a life others dream of that we make reality."

She looked away again and sat up. "And the escape... I started sailing at the age of thirty. That was more than two hundred years ago. And you know why? To escape the life my family was forcing me into. With them, my crew, I wasn't obligated to act a certain way or to fill some role... I had my duties to the mast and I had my freedom." she glanced back to him. "That is why I love the life. I am the master of my ship. The captain of my soul. Nobody can say otherwise when I am staring at them from behind a broadside of twelve pounders and a sharp fucking sword. You are probably disgusted by it all... but then it is what it is. Then I enjoyed the evening we had." she stated, her mood dropping towards the end as she got up from the bed. She let out a long sigh as she picked up her weapons and looked back to him.

"I know what's going through your mind, Darius. That you can reason with me and change my mind. Let me see some other way. But I won't give up a freedom that has been mine for two and a half centuries to start a life of poverty, labour and the same view out of my window every morning." she stated, looking at him with a mixture of disappointment and guilt. "I'd rather slit my own throat than give up the wind in my hair or the spray of the sea..."

She stood by the table with her weapon belt in hand. She bit her lower lip and looked to the door. "Fuck's sake, Darius." she sighed as she dropped her weapons back on the table. "Do you want me gone or not?" she asked as she looked back to him with a frown curling onto her brow.

@Darius Goldmane
Word count: 550
Darius Goldmane
Character
Darius
Level
26 / 26 HP
19 / 19 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

The passion in her voice was obvious. He could almost feel the waves rocking the room around him as she described why she loved what she did. And more importantly, he couldn't deny that her reasons were almost exactly the same that motivated him to take up the cause he had when he'd left.

"Honestly, I have no idea what I want." He said, swinging his legs over the side of the bed so he could sit up. "On the one hand, I won't deny that I don't like the idea of you fighting and killing and stealing without regard for the lives you take along the way. I don't like violence, never have honestly. I mean I understand that beings have to fight and kill to eat and survive, I'm a druid, I'm very familiar with how life works. But that doesn't mean I enjoy the concept of killing other beings to survive myself." He looked at the polearm and sword resting against the corner of the room. "It just so happens that I'm frighteningly good at it." There's no mistaking the disgust in his voice. But when he looks up, there isn't any pain or judgement in his eyes.

"On the other hand I can hear how much you love your freedom, and given what your relationship with your family was and is, I can't blame you for that. The life you have now...it sounds like the life I've lived my whole life that maybe I've taken for granted." He paused, searching for the right words. "I grew up in a small community where everyone knew everyone and everyone took care of everyone. Everyone there had different ideas of what they wanted to do, and no one would ever think of imposing their will on another's life path. Partially that's because of how full of wanderlust we are naturally, but we don't try to shape people in certain ways. If someone displays a particular want to learn something or do something, provided it doesn't hurt the community, they're given freedom and guidance to do what they want." He snorted. "When I told the community I was leaving, they were so happy for me. Not just because I was following in the footsteps of basically everyone who lived there, but because I was venturing out to find my path."

He thought for a moment, then pulled the sheet off and started to get dressed. "Do you have time before you need to leave for your ship? There's something I want to show you."

@Cirice Vaisha
Word count: 427