[Mature] The Velvet Goose - For What Ails You [Completed]

A tavern dedicated to the rougher sort of patron and seedier sort of business

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: [OPEN] The Velvet Goose - For What Ails You

Post by Artemis Black »

The trek out of the city had been a rather simple affair for the thief. They hadn't even needed to bribe anyone. The pair simply passed through a door in the wall, moving during a changing of the guard. Artemis watched his employer walk as they went, noticing she was in deep concentration. He'd seen the expression several times since he started working with the Goose. The sort of introspective tilt to the head of folks who dabbled in forces that were best left alone. He was getting paid though, and the view was nice with a pleasant breeze.

He had to stop her from wandering off into the woods when they finally reached their destination. She informed him of his duties, and he nodded, watching her carefully as she spoke. "I understand, and I'll do my best to be blind and deaf. Though I'd ask you to let me buy you a few drinks when we return. It sounds like you'll be needing to forget a few things," he said, with an only slightly wavering boyish grin. With that, he moved away from her and took up a position where he could watch anyone approaching from the city, or further afield without passing his eyes over her.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 4th, 2019, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 208
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

"You have my thanks." She said, though wondered what if he would be so charming once he found out what she was.

Moving a way’s off from him, she decided on a space clear of debris, and got to work.

Kat took the jug of salt, and walking in a circle, began to pour it on the ground, whispering as she did so. “Thrice the circle is cast about,” she said, slow and deliberate. “For now is the time, and this is the hour. Mine is the magic, mine is the power.” She completed the circle on the last word, and nodded with satisfaction as she felt a familiar sensation of magic beginning to form around her.

Turning back to her large bag, she took out some items. First were candles, five of them, which she set around the circle. Then four bowls, one of which she filled with a herbal mix, another simply with a handful of dirt and a few leaves that were scattered about, the next she poured into it some water from a bottle, and the last she placed a short thick candle. Stepping over the salt boundary of the circle, she placed the bowls at four points: “To the north, I place the earth,” she set down the bowl of dirt. Moving off: “To the east, I place the air.” She struck a match and held it to the herbs, blowing out the tiny flame, so that the leaves burned slowly, the thin line of smoke rising into the night air. “To the south, I place the fire.” Lighting the candle, it merged with the ones she had placed about the circle. Lastly she placed the bowl of water down. “And to the west, I bring ocean’s water.”

Lastly, she took a small pouch from the pocket of her skirt. Opening it, she held the three Fae teeth in her hands. With these, she just threw them into the circle, letting them land wherever they would. "And these tokens I offer in exchange for what I would have."

The last item she placed inside the circle was not a bowl. Unwrapping the linen cloth that encased it, Kat looked down at the lifeless form of the raven that she placed gently in the very centre of the circle. As she rose, she looked down on it with sad eyes. “Sorry you had to die,” she whispered.

Straightening up, she stepped back out of the circle.

Kat closed her eyes, and for a few minutes, stood completely still. As she did so, the breeze around the area picked up, picking up leaves and letting them dance, this way and that. Her hair moved as the wind swept through her. But inside the circle, all was calm. The flame of the candle did not flicker, and the steady line of smoke from the incense did not falter.

Katarya’s eyes opened, and she raised both hands to the sky. “On this night, at this hour, I call to the spirits that wander the dark places of the world. I call out, in Ny’tha’s name, to those who live in shadow and secret. By my will, I summon forth one among you to heed me, to listen to my words of binding.”

By now, the wind had really picked up. Her hair was blowing in the heavy breeze and small spirals of leaves wound this way and that.

“I invoke thee,” she said, her voice getting a little louder over the wind. “I summon you and bind you to this vessel. Take route, take hold. By my will, you shall obey. By my spirit you shall concede.” Kat took a deep breath, and the wind died suddenly, as if in anticipation. Then she raised her chin and called out loud and clear. “Awaken!”

As she said that final word, the flames of the candles on the perimeter of the circle all flared at once for a single second, and then calmed. The wind was no more, the forest no longer seemed to hold its breath. Kat was sweating, and breathing heavily as she lowered her arms.

In the centre of the circle, the body of the dead raven stirred. Kat watched as it struggled a little, before gaining its feet. It shook its head, looking this way and that, before turning to her. Fixing it’s black eyes on her.

“As I will it,” she said, softly. “So, shall it be.”

The raven let out a loud, long squawk, and spread its wings. It hopped into flight and flew to her, flapping to a stop and settling down onto her forearm. It squarked a few more times, but settled as she lifted her other hand and ran a finger softly down its chest. “Thank you,” she said. Despite the sweat on her brow, and her fatigue, she smiled.“As my familiar, I promise I will take good care of you in exchange for your service to me.”

Without turning around, she called out to Artemis. “I know you heard all that.” She said, her eyes still on the bird. “You might as well come forward.” She turned as she spoke. “And I would rather you stick a knife in me now than report me to the authorities, if what I am disgusts you so much that you feel you should.” She knew she had no energy left in her to fight, if he chose to try anything.
Word count: 913

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He did his best to ignore Katarya's actions, but for some reason, her every movement sounded like the loudest thing he'd ever heard. She was clearly preforming some sort of summoning or calling ceremony. He knew Robert did similar, that's why they called them Spooks. When she started to shout, he felt a rush of magic, and the area became deathly cold. He let a dagger slip into his hand, the burning chill of the metal through his gloves mildly reassuring. If this went sideways, he was going to throw that dagger as hard as he could, her instructions be damned. Mages always said things couldn't be stopped, then stood there with mouths agape as their blood boiled.

The chill passed, and his hand spasmed as he realized he'd been gripping the dagger tight enough to stop circulation. He resheathed it, and stood there, certain some eldritch doom was lingering in the air. Then she spoke to him, and he felt blood rush back into his brain. He turned, deliberately moving his boots to keep his balance on the slick leaves. She mentioned sticking her, and his tongue lept into action before his addled brain could halt it. "Well it's not a knife I'll stick you with, but there does tend to be some screaming," he said, feeling a deep crimson blush rush up his neck, and his eyes go wide in embarrassment. Sure, he'd say it to a girl over drinks, but she'd just summoned something horrific from the beyond.

His eyes snapped to the creature she held, and he shrunk back before shaking his head. "That's not a bone golem," he said, dumbfounded. After a moment, he stepped towards her, his eyes still glued to the raven. "He's a cute little horror, much better than the things Robert makes." Then his mind finally caught up to all the events. "Wait a minute, disgusted?!" he cried, snapping his eyes to her face. "You think far too lowly of yourself, Miss Frost." The cloak of confidence had settled again, he was still in one piece, and she clearly had been willing to be vulnerable. "Let's say we get this cleaned up, and you and beaky back to town, before this pleasant breeze turns into a frost," he said, motioning at the various implements on the ground. "I owe you enough drinks and comfort to forget these horrors after all."
Word count: 399
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat sighed in relief. If she had wanted to kiss him before, she felt twice that now, but she had a raven on her arm, she was covered in sweat, shivering with the cool air on her, and tired beyond all reason.

She laughed aloud as he flushed crimson, following his quick (and rather saucy) retort. She was, perhaps, a little giddy from the whole thing, and forgot she was supposed to be a hard faced young woman who liked nobody but her books. "I will spare your blushes and simply pretend I didn't hear that, Mr. Black."

At his suggestion they go, she nodded. But first: "The spell isn't quite done, I'm afraid. Just one more little thing... " The raven squawked, and Kat looked at the bird, smiling. “She needs a name, to be complete.” Kat explained. “Without a name, she’s just a bird. With a name, she’ll be so much more.” Kat turned to Artemis. “I think, considering your role tonight, that it might do quite nicely if you named her. What would you call my companion, Mr Black? A name befitting such a noble being.”
Word count: 190

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He adjusted his footing and settled himself into a more comfortable stance. Her laugh in the cool night air was a terribly precious thing that he only truly appreciated when it was gone. She absolved him of his foot being squarely in his mouth, and he felt the easy grin on his face. Then she explained the remainder of the spell. There were always little extra pieces to everything summoners did. Nothing was a simple as it appeared, though in this case, he felt he was up to the challenge. He opened his mouth to say something snarky and felt a pull of magic in the air. She wasn't joking, this was a component to the spell, and she'd given it to him to fumble or ruin.

Artemis stood completely still for a moment, reaching out with his senses, addled as they were. He wasn't practiced in magic, hells, he avoided it any chance he could get, but he knew there were times to let powers work through you. He calmed his mind and felt with his thoughts for the name of this creature. It came to him like a drop of water in a still pond. "Nyx, the star in the dark," he said, without inflection. He let loose a breath he hadn't intended to hold and rubbed at his chin. After a moment to collect himself, he flashed the bird a smile. "Beaky to his friends though," he said, reaching out to scratch at the bird's small head.
Word count: 250
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uplo ... ven_20.jpg

Kat smiled, and the raven chattered, turning her head as Artemis scratched her head. “Nyx seems to be pleased ... not sure how she feels about 'Beaky' though. I reckon she'd only let you get away with calling her that" Kat smiled at the joke. "Well done, Artemis. You have earned your pay and my respect. Thank you for not just protecting me, but … well,” she laughed a little. “Everything, I suppose!” She lifted her arm and the bird took flight. Kat’s eyes followed her. “She’ll have to get used to a physical form. With her, I shall have my own little eyes and ears out in the city. Familiars have many uses …” She looked at him. “It’s not often I talk of such things. Not in a city like Fellsguard, at least.” She moved to gather her things. “I’ll admit you have a way about you, that can be quite disarming. I’m not normally this chatty!” She stopped halfway through. “If I might ask; would you help me pack these away? I find myself very weary. That wasn’t an easy thing to pull off, and I feel a little weak.” It grated on her that she had to ask for help, and she would have soldiered on if Artemis had been anyone else. But she had just performed magic in front of him, and he had been so understanding about it, that she felt something of a bond with him.

When they had finished packing, they set off walking. This time, Kat (reluctantly) allowed Artemis to carry her bag. She tried not to drag her feet in weariness as they made their way back. She talked, unusual for her, but he seemed to take things in his stride in such a manner that she actually felt a bit liberated, being able to talk about the things that she could never, ever say to the average friend or acquaintance. “She’s my familiar. I didn’t resurrect her … I’m no necromancer. Instead, her body was used to house a spirit from … well, somewhere else! She’s a magical creature in and of herself. She has her own will and mind, but she is bound to me, and I to her, in a way.”

Having a raven perched on her shoulder around the city wouldn’t do her any favours; nothing screams ‘witch!’ more than a woman in a black cloak with a raven! She might as well have a pointed hat and broomstick, in that case! She would have to be discreet. Perhaps in the Goose, it wouldn’t matter too much, provided Cook would allow Nyx inside. And she never had guests, so Nyx would be quite able to stay with her, if she so wished. The Book had been particular that familiars had minds of their own, even if they were bound to their master’s will.

Nyx stayed in the air for most of their journey, mostly flying from one tree to another, and occasionally dipping down and cheekily taking perch on both Kat and Artemis' shoulders, before flapping off again with a chatter that could almost be laughter.

When they reached The Goose, Nyx came down to land on Kat's shoulder. "Let's hope Cook and the others don't mind." She said to Artemis, as they stepped through the door. Kat sighed, feeling bone weary. "You certainly weren't wrong about me needing a drink. I don't think wine will quite cut it, tonight. I'll throw myself at your mercy and let you order for me; you must know the best drink to have after an adventure, being a man such as yourself" She said, without any hint of mockery. "And I can finally pay you for your troubles."
Word count: 634

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Without a word, he moved to help her gather the scattered things, taking advantage of the fact that he was rather fresh to gather almost all the materials before she'd gotten to her second piece. He conceded control and let her pack away the implements before asking for her bag. He imagined the exhaustion would overcome her insecurity about handing off her possessions.

Artemis wasn't certain if the fact that Katarya was practically rambling at him about the aspects of what'd she'd done, despite clearly being aware she was being particularly talkative, came from exhaustion or frayed nerves. He decided it didn't matter and just enjoyed watching her enthusiasm. It was terribly enticing, and he had to regularly stop himself from simply sweeping her up and carrying her at a jog back to the Goose.

When they arrived, he smirked at Kat's worries regarding the bird. It wasn't that strange for less-than-savory folk to keep ravens. They collected shiny things and made excellent watchers after all. "Come on then," he said, starting his way towards the stairs and nodding to several servers as he passed.

At the top of the stairs, he practically crashed into Deborah and couldn't stop his grin at her breathy squeak. He slid towards her and wrapped a hand around her waist, laying his head on her shoulder as he whispered to her. Deborah's eyes widened, and her features flicked through several emotions. Perhaps jealousy, and then open concern as she studied the witch, before a mask of calm slammed down on her features. She stepped back from the thief and said, "Of course, Arty. Give it a few minutes to get warm, and I'll bring something to tide you over."

"Thanks, Deb," Artemis said to her back as he nodded his head towards the hallway and began leading Katarya again. They passed several heavy oak doors before the thief approached one and fiddled with the lock for a moment. There was a well-oiled click, and the door glided open without a sound. Inside was a large empty tub, several benches, a wooden divider screen, and hangers stocked with fluffy towels. He turned to her and nodded towards the screen. "Get yourself ready then, they'll bring the water once it's hot and food as it's ready." Artemis closed and locked the door behind then, sliding a thin bar over the latch, likely designed to prevent exactly what he'd just done.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 4th, 2019, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 404
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat allowed herself to be led by Artemis. Usually she would have been much too proud to be led anyway, but she was tired and she trusted him. His exchange with Deborah made her raise a brow ... were they a couple? Lovers? She smiled at Deb, who hurried away to do as Artemis had bid ... whatever that was.

They passed tables, and Kat was wondering when he was going to actually pick one; she was so tired! She needed to get off her feet (and ideally out of her boots, though that wouldn't do in a public house).

When he guided her into the room with the tubs, she gave a small smile. "Well, I suppose dinner can wait." She said, while Nyx took off from her shoulder and flapped to to perch on the top of the screen. "These tubs are certainly bigger than my own, and ..." She stopped mid-sentence as she turned around. He had just locked the door. Kat looked at him, incredulity in her face. "And just what do you think you're doing?" Her indignation was dampened somewhat by her exhausted state. "I think I'll be quite safe, taking a bath! Unless I fall asleep and drown ... but I think that unlikely," she folded her arms, petulantly. "Or are you here for a show, Mr Black?"

Despite her words and stance, there was something in her tone ... Kat couldn't help but feel a flush go through her, butterflies tickling her stomach. Did she want him to stay?

Above them, Nyx chattered, as if in mocking laughter.
Word count: 260

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He held up his hand in a placating motion. He was very familiar with this accusation, and the many ways it could go. "I'm just making sure you're settled. I'll stay here," he said, moving to a bench on the far side of the room and having a seat facing the wall. Speaking over his shoulder, as he began to loosen straps in his armor, "You get yourself washed up and dried, Deb will bring food and something you can rest in after. She'll also take your clothes to wash if you're willing." The thunk of a weapon hitting the floor was followed by an exasperated sigh before he reached down and settled the sheathed blade onto the bench and started to remove his boots.

He wasn't going to turn down the opportunity for a bath, even if it was one already used. If luck held, maybe he'd even get to use the bath while it was still warm. If the gods smiled down, he'd get to use it while she was still in it. "She's not my girl, or anything by the way," he said, working his boots off of aching feet. "Just a good friend who has a heart bigger than most give her credit for." There was a grunt, and the thunk of a boot clattering to the floor.

A small seam in the back wall of the room popped open, and a sunken door swung outward. Deborah came in, carrying a platter laden with steaming food, two mugs of a rich dark liquid, a saucer of blueberries, and a sealed cloth sack. "Kat, some food and drink, a nip for the bird, and something to wear," she said, placing each item down on the bench near the wood divider. "I can wash your things if you want, or just offer some herbs, to take the bite off the dirt." Deborah had a caring expression on her face and seemed to be completely ignoring Artemis across the room.
Word count: 331
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

For all her attitude, Katarya was still a very young woman who, despite being an actual witch, had lived a relatively sheltered life under the ever watchful eyes of Lilian. And so, it was only natural to react to situations that had not encountered before with a kind of 'hard-faced' demeanour.

When Artemis moved and took a seat, facing away from her, it seemed he had answered her question (without actually answering it), and was staying right here. As someone who seemed like a seasoned adventurer, such as he, perhaps this was common place? Kat, put her arms around herself, a little self consciously. "Your personal relationships are none of my business," she said, reflexively. But she did find herself relieved! "Though if you try and tell me that you haven't had a tumble with the girl, then I will be offended at the lie."

Though he had turned his back, she stepped behind the screen anyway. She slipped out of her clothes, and despite the screen and turned back, she felt ... something! It was exciting and there was almost a suspense about the situation she had found herself in.

She also didn't know if she was relieved or annoyed when Deborah came in, though the food called out to her, and she realised it had been a long time since she had eaten; perhaps that's why she was so giddy! "You're a treasure," She said to the girl. She had wrapped a towel around her naked body, wishing it was longer as it reached only to the middle of her thigh, and took the food. She placed it to one side; she would bathe first; her body ached all over, and she didn't mind if the food wasn't piping hot, just as long as the water was! "Only if it's no trouble," she said, as she handed her clothes over to the girl. "Now," she said to Artemis' back. "You just keep your eyes fixed in that same direction ... this is highly irregular, and I don't want you peeping."

She had left the nibbles for Nyx on a chair, and the raven was happily pecking away at the food. Then she let her towel fall, and slid down into the tub. "Or I'll turn you into a toad," she said, lazily. "This just be the nicest thing I've ever done." She all but crooned as the hot water soothed her aching muscles. She felt her eyes droop, so splashed her face and reached for the soap.

Kat glanced over as Artemis undressed. She was doing exactly what she had told him not to do; she was peeking. She smiled at the thought of it. "You never told me how you came to be in the employ of the Cook?" She said, as she lathered her arms with soap. "What is the story of the mysterious Mr. Artemis Black?" There was a playful hint to her tone. She might even be enjoying herself.
Word count: 493