[Mature] A Life Worth Living [Completed]

The Thief and The Witch go in search of things needed to keep on in the world

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: [Mature] A Life Worth Living

Post by Artemis Black »

He nodded when she read the contents of the letter. He didn't know his letters, but he wasn't dumb enough not to notice her help. They were just standing in the shade of the building, and she asked him about his mother. "She was stabbed. A lot. Drunk sailors, didn't like she wouldn't share her meal," he said with a shrug. "Or that's what the lady at the church said. I didn't stick around long enough to ask many questions." He looked at her intently and noticed she seemed more flustered than she should. "Why something come up?" he asked as he moved closer to her. He was going to wrap his arms around her when he spotted Marcy coming down the road. She was with Ksenia, and Artemis' face went white.
Word count: 132
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

For a moment, she considered telling him about the dream ... but what good would it do to bring up a dream that mean nothing? "It's nothing ... I'm sorry about your mother. I know what it's like to grow up without one, though I expect you had a tougher time, than I. At least I had my grandmother ...

She saw his expression change, and the colour drain from his face. She followed his eyes to the two approaching women. She glanced back at him. "Problem?" She asked, curiously.
Word count: 87

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Marcy spotted him just before he tried to duck behind Katarya. Her face scrunched in confusion before lighting up in a brilliant grin. "Oh Arty, I've terribly missed you!" she said, running over and smashing into him. "Did you have to go down on the fisherman that gave this to you, or where your long fingers enough?" she asked in her sugary sweet voice with just a touch too much innocence.

Artemis grunted as she hit him and his face went red with a mix of indignation and embarrassment. "We've got a problem Mar, the kind you specialize in," he said softly while prying her off of him. Marcy's eyes flashed and something very dark and predatory lit there. "ᴵ'ᵐ ᵗʰᵉ ᵏⁿᶦᶠᵉ. ᴵ'ᵛᵉ ᵇᵉᵉⁿ ˢᵒ ˡᵒⁿᵉˡʸ," she whispered in a sing-song voice. Then she stepped back, the glow in her eyes faded; the bubbly woman returned. "Goodness me, Spooky. It was just supposed to be a job, you weren't supposed to go and make enemies for him. You've gone and gotten the boy into a terrible mess of trouble, haven't you." She said, with a giggle.

Marcy clapped her hands sharply, "Look at me, tattering on like a sow. This is Ksenia, you can chat and all as we walk. Have to get there before all the fried fish is gone!" she near shouted before dragging Ksenia and Kat by the arm down the street. "Wha- damn it, Mar," Artemis growled as he moved to follow.
Word count: 241
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya watched the interaction between Artemis and Marcy, wondering at the manner of their relationship. Was it a brother/sister type, or was it something more? Though she had no doubt the two had probably done their fair share of bed-sharing ... were there real feelings involved? And the next question being thus: was Kat jealous.

She smiled, regardless. "Hello Marcy, she said. "It's good to see you, and as I am sure you are well aware, Mr. Black is more than capable of getting into trouble all by himself. I just ... added a little flavour to the whole affair."

Her tawny eyes turned to the other woman, a pretty girl, perhaps the same age as Kat, herself. "A pleasure to meet you. I'm Katarya Frost ... or Kat, if you'd prefer." Honestly, the way she spoke and the way she held herself, you'd have thought she was a daughter of one of he great houses; the infamous arrogance of Miss Frost.

As she was taken by the arm and pulled away, she gave a glance to Artemis. "Nyx'll keep you from getting lonely." She said, and just as she said, the raven descended from the inn's roof to perch on the young man's shoulder, cawing at her mistress. What passed between them, he wouldn't know, but Kat smiled.

So, Ksenia, was it?" She said as they went. "How have you got yourself caught up with Mr. Black? I hope it was through more honest means than myself!" All these women! Was Artemis some kind of ... she couldn't even think of the word. They seemed to flock round him like magpies over a diamond ... a very rough diamond.
Word count: 276

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Well, at least they weren't at each other's throats Artemis grumbled to himself as he lagged behind. Then Nyx was there, chattering and nuzzling his head from his shoulder. "Hey girl, you've been so good. Care to earn your keep," he asked the bird as he stroked its head. Nyx cackled, and Artemis moved his fingers as if flicking a coin, offering the bird a grin.

In moments, the bird was up and away, soaring over the street ahead and behind them. Every so often, she would dive down into a crowd and retreat with a triumphant croak. There was always some annoyed shouting, but what could you do about birds. Artemis slowed his hurried walk to a stroll and observed the small pockets of chaos. Whenever a particularly distracted victim was still looking at the sky, he'd offer them a gentle bump. Always followed by a quick apology, hands out, head down.

He quickly realized Nyx could only carry about three coins in her claws and beak without dropping them. The Thief started to duck into alleys, or move to side streets, to allow his coworker to drop off loot. By the time they made it to Gutted Wife, he'd managed to amass a small fortune. Perhaps having a partner wasn't so bad. Kat brought a sharpness to his life and that excellent body of hers, not to mention the fire beneath her icy cloak. Add on to that a too smart flying friend and he could get used to this.
Word count: 252
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Nyx came back to settle on Artemis' shoulder, chattering in a way that suggested she had thoroughly enjoyed it. The magical familiar certainly had a lot of personality. She watched the world carefully, eyes trailing people they passed, sometimes croaking out, though Artemis would have no idea what the bird was trying to communicate, if she was trying to communicate anything. The bond between Nyx and her master allowed greater depth of understanding, but even with Artemis, he might have a sense of something.

As they reached the Gutted Wife, the bird had settled down somewhat, looking at their destination with curious eyes. For some reason, when Nyx croaked in his ear, he got the feeling that she was trying to tell him to 'be wary', though why, or what of, was not clear.
Word count: 134

Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

“‘More honest means’? Doubtful,” Ksenia answered the woman Artemis had brought with him. She looks awfully hoity-toity to be hanging around him. “Did he draw you in with some tale about his ‘dear old nan’ or was he just pathetic?” She opened her eyes wide, innocently. “Artemis can be rather manipulative, so I do hope you’re staying on your toes.”

Ksenia pulled the door open to the Gutted Wife to let Marcy and Katarya through. Marcy spotted a table first and pulled Ksenia with her. When they’d got through the crowd they were facing a wood table in the back corner. Marcy looked at the table, considering, before taking the seat facing away from the room, next to the wall. Ksenia looked at her, puzzled, but Marcy smiled and patted the seat next to her. Katarya slid into the other seat against the wall.

Ksenia noticed Katarya fidgeting, trying to tug seams into place. “That wasn’t made for you, was it?” Ksenia asked. “I can fix it for you when you come by the Goose next. Don’t tell Artemis though. Pretty sure he wants me to keep working on his thrice-damned silk.”
Word count: 196
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

When one of the tavern's servers approached them, Kat was about to place an order for red wine, but them remembered her circumstances, and the few coppers that she had in her pockets was all she had in the world. "I'll have your cheapest ... well whatever's cheap and not water." She said, a wave of embarrassment going through her.

After the others ordered and they waited, Kat smiled to Ksenia as the young woman explained how she had met Artemis. He's never mentioned anything about his 'nan' before. What by Ny'sha did he tell you? She shook her head. "Actually, I hired him to do some work for me." She felt a shift of defensiveness when she called him 'pathetic'. "He's not too bad ... not with me, anyway. He's helping me get on my feet since my business went up in flames, which I mean literally. I don't know how fast news travels, but ..." She sighed, pushing the memory away and instead giving the seamstress a (father forced) smile ""What has he got you doing?"

Kat was positioned with her back against the wall, watching the tavern; it was the kind of place that, a few months ago, she might have turned her nose up at. Now though, it was most probable that more people in here were much better off than she was.

At Ksenia's offer, Kat did shift uncomfortably in the dress she had gotten from that wretched shop. "It was the best we could do, in a pinch. But that would be most kind ... there may be some delay in paying for your services, if that is okay? Or I can wait, I don't mind which." She pulled at the bits that were too tight, and those that were too loose; what had the woman who had owned this before her looked like?! Her ears pricked up when Ksenia mentioned silk. "Silk you say! That is certainly fine fabric ... and very difficult to work with, i imagine. She glanced at Marcy, as she spoke. "You may have heard me being called a 'spook'? It's not a term I am particularly fond of. I'm a witch." She explained, lowering her voice. "You know; silk is excellent material when it comes to enchanting. if you'd like me to take a look at it, there are some things I can do with it; strengthening the material, really. Nothing too fancy."

Kat stopped talking as the server brought their drinks over. She nodded a 'thank you' to the server and held her mug in her hand close to her chest; she was parched! "While Artemis comes up with whatever crazy plan he has to procure some more money, I intend to do my own bit in getting some coin. She turned to Marcy. "Marcy; is there any gossip flying around that I should be concerned about? Not about my shop, but about ... well, something else? I need to know if I need to duck and hide every time I see a guard or not!"
Word count: 503

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Marcy let loose her radiant smile when the haggard waiter turned to her. “Three fish and ale please,” she said in a bright sing song. Then went back to humming and bouncing in her seat.

Artemis felt the tension radiating off the bird immediately. He gave her a nod, a scratch, and shrugged his shoulders. Then he stepped into the Gutted Wife. The place was usual fare for a sailor’s draw. Large heavy tables, weighted chairs, seating spaced to keep people apart. Everything a belligerent drunkard with plenty of coin might desire with excellent fried fish to boot. He slipped through the growing crowd and to the back corner table Marcy had likely glared someone away from. When he arrived he frowned. “Miss Frost, if you’d please,” he said, speaking in a clipped tone and motioning to the Witch to swap seats with him. Then he leaned over and whispered to Marcy. The woman’s eyes went up and after a moment’s shuffling she handed him a dagger from her satchel. When he noticed Katarya wasn’t moving he grunted. “I hope you can flip this well enough then,” he grumbled, as he began to move toward the open chair to the side of the table.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 10th, 2019, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 209
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya was, herself about to give a clipped response to her switching chairs, when Nyx hopped over to her shoulder with a short flap of her wings. The bird seemed to want her to move too; well ... there was little point in having a familiar if she wasn't going to listen to it. "Of course, Mr. Black." She might do as she was told, but she didn't to like it, as her icy tone expressed.

Her stomach rumbled at the sound of food, but she stroked the raven's little chest. "Ladies; may I introduce Nyx." She said, as she waited for Ksenia to reply to her questions.
Word count: 107