The White Hart Tavern -Amongst The Elves

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

The White Hart Tavern -Amongst The Elves

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat pushed her way through the large double doors of the The White Heart, a tavern that bordered the slums and the rest of the city. Despite it's location, it was a pleasant place to drink at, if one did not mind the company of Elves, which Katarya certainly did not.

She stepped in and glanced around. She had hoped luck would strike and she would find her friend, but there was no hope. It might have been racist to assume every Elf knew every other Elf, but in Fellsguard, people had a way of knowing bout their own, so she went over to the bar, giving the Elven bar-keep a warm smile. "Suilad," She greeted the woman. "I was hoping you might know of a friend of mine, someone I was hoping to find," though quite accented, she spoke the language of the Kersoka Elves very well. She gave the woman a brief description. "He's a Ranger, and his name is Dáire?"

Se just hoped he was in the city.
Last edited by Katarya Frost on October 16th, 2019, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 172

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Ranger and Rogue

Re: The White Hart Tavern -Amongst The Elves

Post by Dáire »

The day had been a busy start to the day at the tavern, and Aurae was starting to feel its toll on her already. She swiped her cloth over the bar again, taking pride in the way it gleamed after her administrations. The large doors of the building clunked shut, and she raised her head to greet the new customer. She felt herself mirroring the woman’s warm greeting and smile as she approached. “Alatulya! What can I do for you Miss?” She was surprised the young woman spoke their language so fluently, and then by her request. The bar-keep ran a swift, critical eye over the young human before her. She wasn't in the business of divulging others affairs, but Aurae sensed no malintent from the woman. “One moment, Miss.” She said, satisfied with her evaluation. Gesturing to one of the maids across the main room, the young elf glided over, her tray balanced on an arm as she avoided the early drinkers as the ambled and chatted amongst the tables. She knew the young maid kept an eye on the ranger, she didn’t think anyone could miss it really. She relayed the womans request and the young girl scowled in the human’s direction, before giving Aurae a curt nod and moving off. Aurae turned back to the woman, setting about busying her hands and cleaning a glass. “He’s out back, in one of the rooms.” She gestured down a narrow hall to the right of the bar, “Cithrel will let him know you’re here.” They weren’t an inn, but many of the elves that passed through needed a friendly place to let down their guard and rest , particularly the few Lumeacia that ventured here and so they often facilitated them.

Dáire groaned loudly as Cithrels overly sweet voice, echoed through his closed door and through his foggy mind. “Dáire, are you awake? There’s a human woman downstairs looking for you.” He could hear the disapproval in the young girls’ voice, and he smiled to himself. “Let her know I’ll be out in a few minutes.” A discernible huff came from the far side of his door as he swung his legs over the side of his cot, and set about readying himself for another day.

A dull throb had begun behind his eyes as he staggered out of the small room, all trace of him removed from the cramped space. He’d only arrived in Fellsgard in the early hours of that morning, days of tough travel meant he looked almost as bad as he felt in that moment. Scanning the open room, he quickly spotted the young witch near Aurae. He smiled widely as he approached the women, “Hello again, Miss Frost.”
Last edited by Dáire on October 16th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 464
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

“Dáire!” She said, giving the Elf a warm smile and continuing to speak in Elvish; she enjoyed the language a lot. ”It’s so good to see you! And you must call me ‘Kat’ from now on. How are you? I hope you’ve been well. I was hoping we could have a talk, and a bit of a catch up. I was hoping for a friend who wouldn’t mind me bending their ears for a bit?”

When they were seated, Kat sipped her wine (it was only lunchtime, plus she had already had a glass with Artemis). ”This is nice wine,” she said. ”Thank you for seeing me; I needed to see a friendly face; things have been a little hectic since we helped out Maggie, and I thought I would seek you out as someone I know to be a good listener.”

She told him pretty much everything. About her shop being burned down, about the thugs who had attacked her, about Artemis and how she had fallen for him. She told him about the Goose,(though was hazy about the details - some things weren’t for her to share). ”It’s a strange place; I have yet to really earn my place there, though I hope to do so, soon. There is some kind of test I have to pass, but I have no idea what it is.” She shrugged a little. ”I’m not very popular there; I’m sure you can imagine why. I know I can be a bit … stuck up!”

”But I suppose that’s why I sought you out. I trust you, and you’re not part of that whole thing. I believe it’s important to have friends away from work … perhaps someone I could turn to, if I am in need of a friend? I would be very grateful, for I fear I may need help sometime soon, and I don’t want to to rely on the Goose folk to help me.”

She even told him (in very quiet tones) about the trouble with Lord Gideous of House Nyshasa, and how he had tried to kill her and steal her magic book. “He’s also a very powerful mage; I don’t know if I will end up like my friend, who he has captured and is holding at the Noble house’s estate .. and she wa sa real fighter; a mage killer! I am not nearly as skilled at fighting.”

She sat back and raised a brow. ”I know that’s an awful lot to go on!” She said. ”I hope I haven’t scared you away!
Last edited by Katarya Frost on October 16th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 442

Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

Daires smile split into a toothy grin as Kats words rushed out of her in heavy accented, but fluent elven. “If you insist Kat, and I’ve been well; busy busy but when am I not? And of course; I have time for a good talk.”

He followed Kat over to a small table in the corner of the room, very aware that Cithrels stare was still searing holes his back. Aurae brought him over a hot drink and a simple plate of meats and bread before leaving them in peace. Tucking in, he chuckled quietly as he noticed the wine she cradled once again.

He let out a long breath as she finished catching him up on how her life had unfolded, or well exploded in the few short weeks since they’d last spoken. “I wouldn’t say stuck up per say … just a little prickly around the edges.” He laughed to himself as he remembered the reactions some people had had to her rather … abrupt manner in the past. Sobering again, he went on, “I approve of your thinking though. With those sorts of things, you’re wise to keep ties outside of it as well. I would hate to watch you drown within one of those ‘family’s’. So, if you do find yourself in need of help, and if I’m able, I will help you.”.

His brows drew together in a frown when she began to tell him about one of the noble families in Fellsgard, but by the time she’d finished recounting the events with the mage, he was down right scowling at his meal. Greedy, cruel, power hungry little humans again. He’d had no dealings with this particular Lord yet, but the situation reminded him awfully of one he’d been party to over a century ago. He raised his eyes to meet her as she sat back in her chair, watching him. “No, you’d have to do something extreme to manage to scare me away at this point.” He considered everything she’d told him, taking a large bite of his meat laden bread as he did so. “If no one is teaching you how to wield a blade, particularly smaller, easily concealed ones; I’d look into that. A small nick in the right place could disable them long enough for you to escape, or land a more serious blow. You can enchant them I’m sure to make matters easier for yourself, but it would make me feel better if you had some range of defences, outside of spells. Even if as you say; your friend was an accomplished fighter and still fell prey to them.”

He leant back himself, glancing quickly over the room to ensure no one had been prying on their hushed conversation; elven hearing could be a real problem in situations like this. He looked back to Kat and smiled weakly, this turn in events was not one he could have ever imagined when he had made the decision to return to the city. He would need to swing by The Goose and get a read on its characters for himself someday, even if only for his own curiosity.
Last edited by Dáire on October 16th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 537
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat listened intently as he spoke, noticing the scowl on his face deepen when she mentioned her dealings this House Nyshasa Lord. "I can tell you're not a fan of the aristocracy, and you wouldn't be alone. All that power and wealth, inherited and never earned, she shook her head. "I'd bring down the whole lot of them, if I could. Maybe someday I will!"

She sipped her wine while he ate at his meal, she swirled the wine in her cup as she considered his words on her defending herself. "I couldn't imagine myself with a blade, but you're right; maybe a small blade, with a spell wrapped in it ... something small; like a 'stun' enchantment ..." Her eyes drifted as she thought what she might need for it. "First of all, I need to actually get a dagger! I'm sure Artemis could get me one, though I don't know if he'd approve ... not like people's approval has ever stopped me before." She said, with a smile. "And a visit to the Goose would be nice; even if it's just to say hello. Things have to be very ... low key, in there. I'm not the most popular person among them, but having a tall, capable Elven Ranger showing up can't hurt my image!" She gave him a smile.

"I think the first thing I'll do is find some work or contract, so I can afford the blade and ingredients for the spell. A spoken enchantment doesn't last as long, nor is it as strong as it is when done properly." She tapped her cup in thought. "I have no idea where to start, when it comes to making coin, not without my supplies. I can't do much healing without them, and using magic to do so would probably just bring the law down on me." She'd find a way.

Kat noticed he was being watchful, so kept her voice low when she spoke. The White Hart might be in the heart of Fellsguard, but the clientele was almost exclusively Elven. If she had not spoken the Kerasoka tongue, she wouldn't have even ventured into the place. She found though, that using their language usually meant the would be tolerated. "Is this where you're staying? If I do need some assistance, I will either visit, or have Nyx bring you a message ... I'll find a way to compensate you. After I pass the test that will mean my entry into the 'family' at The Goose, I should be in a better position to to pay with actual coin!"

She leaned in closer to her friend as she spoke. "If I manage to ... procure any items of value, do you know of a fence who might be able to move them? I'm not insinuating you're a thief, or anything, but if you know of a contact ... well, that would be helpful if I want to move things without involving The Goose's folk."
Last edited by Katarya Frost on October 16th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 490

Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

He let the scowl fall from his face as she went on, the thought of the noble families being no longer, pleased him; but the boring realist in him knew more would just squabble, murder and cheat until they took the recently vacated positions. Shoving the last bite of his meal into his mouth he swiveled on the bench and dug around in the small satchel he’d purchased in Verdant row, extracting a small sheathed blade from the interior. The ornately decorated and engraved blade was too small for him to make use of, but sentimentality had prevented him from pawning it off in all the years that had passed by, since its original owner had been pulled from his life. “Here, this one already has some magic. Although I cannot tell of what allegiance, but it’s of no use to me and you may have it. I know it’s elven and I’m not sure what heads that may turn for anyone who may glimpse it, but it’s yours if you’d like it.” He slid the still sheathed blade across the table towards her, leaving it in the middle for her to accept or return, which ever she chose.

He kept his voice low, even though it was fairly empty this time of day, “As for the work … I’m not sure I have anything to suggest at this moment in time, within the city that is. I may have contacts outside the city who could make use of your talents, and be willing to acquire the necessary supplies in advance; through people such as myself that is.”

When she asked where he was staying, he thought of the various little places he’d stayed while in the city. If it weren’t for the little blond whose eyes never seemed to leave him, he'd liked the room at the back of the White Hart the most. The weather was changing with the progressing season and sleeping outside was fast losing it’s appeal. “For the time being you can find me here, Aurae knows I don’t always keep the most legal company, so Nyx shouldn’t have an issue if you were to send here either. I can let you know when things change.”

Nodding to her promises of payment, he almost disregarded it, he liked to keep busy. Being idle was a worse prospect for him than needing coin and besides, he rarely found he was short of coin for what he needed and what he couldn’t buy; he stole. Which made him laugh as she apologised, for implying he was just that. “I’m sure I know people who could help in that regard.” And know people he certainly did, the length and breadth of the country if he were to stop and think about it. Quite often he had a mental shopping list of things various individuals wanted, or would want once they saw them.
Last edited by Dáire on October 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Word count: 497
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya gave Dáire a big smile. ”Oh, thank you so much! I cannot tell you how grateful I am!” She took the blade in her hand, and marvelled at the work. It was certainly beautiful, and her hands tingled beneath it at the magic it contained. "There is something here ... I'd wager a full silver that it has qualities that make it particularly useful against demons and such ... it has that feel to it." She looked up at him and beamed like a young girl just given a fancy frock. "I adore it, and I know etiquette demands that I insist on not taking it, but ... I just love it so much. I don't have many things that I could call precious, but this certainly will be."

As he mentioned work outside the city, she nodded. "That sounds just fine, to me. I have heard of a contract in Verdant Row ... well, in the surrounding areas. A particularly ill-mannered spirit has been causing trouble on the roads, and no one has managed to do anything about it ... mainly because folk here don't use magic, and fighting off a spirit with a normal sword won't be of much use." She glanced at him. "If I were able to enchant an arrow of yours, designed specifically to take down such a creature ... what do you say? Shall we have a little adventure to the place where first we met? We split the bounty, which is only a silver bit, but at least it's something" She raised a brow. "I have a feeling that idling away in inns doesn't exactly sit too well with you, Dáire! What do you think?

She was pleased with how this day was going. She and Artemis had found a deeper level to their relationship, and her friendship with Dáire was proving not only to be pleasant, but productive too. Yes, this day was a good day, thus far.
Word count: 324

Dáire
Character
Level
48 / 48 HP
32 / 32 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 10c

Post by Dáire »

He grinned broadly at the little witch, with a foreign sense of - almost maternal pride, as he watched Kat gush over his sisters’ blade. She had loved it just as much, and now someone else could treasure it in a similar manner.

If it was possible, his grin spread even further after she delivered her almost hesitant proposal, “Am I that easily read?” He chuckled, silvery eyes glittering as his mind raced. This would be one of those jobs he just knew he’d remember for decades to come. “Count me in young Lady, that’s not an adventure I’d turn down. Plus, the bonus of good company and sparkly arrows? I’d be mad to say no.”

This day was going surprisingly well; he was now very happy he had returned to the city when he had.
Word count: 140
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Re: The White Hart Tavern -Amongst The Elves [Closed]

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya rose to her feet and placed the dagger in her bag, for now. Soon she would wear it beneath her cloak; even the thought made her feel excited. "I'll send Nyx with a message for where to meet. I should be free in two days, if your itchy feet can wait that long." She said with a smile. "Have a great day, Dáire, and thank you again."

As the left, she passed by the barkeep and nodded respectfully. “Diola lle ten' i' yulna, ta nae lirima. Quel re a' lle.” {‘Thank you for the wine, it was lovely. Have a good day.’}

With a smile, she left The White Hart.

As she strolled towards the Goose, she suddenly found a figure in front of her. She came to a stop and lifted her chin. ”Karl,” she all but glared at the large smith. ”May I help you?"

The handsome young man looked at her, looking quite uncomfortable. “Hello, Kat. It’s nice to see you … that’s a nice cloak.”

”I know,” she said. ”That’s why I wore it."

Karl sighed. “I wanted to apologise for what I said … for calling you … you know …”

”A ‘slut’?” She finished for him, cocking her head. ”Accepted, now if you don’t mind …” She started to move past him, but he took her arm.

She glanced down at his hand, then at him. ”You had better remove that, immediately.” She said, her eyes dark.

He let go rapidly. “I just want us to be friends again, Kat.” He said, desperately. “We’ve known each other since we were kids, and you’ve been through so much. I want to be there for you.”

Kat rolled her eyes. ‘Not this again!’ ”I can assure you I am doing quite well, thank you. I have no need - or desire - for your help. You made it clear what you thought of me the last time. Which, I believe, left you with a black eye and a bust lip! And if you don’t leave me be, that will seem like a stroll in the garden compared to …”

“Kat, people are talking! They say you’re mixed up with bad people. That you spend all the time at that Goose place. A woman with your upbringing shouldn’t be going to placed like that!” He seemed geninely concerned. “And Cora is worried sick as she hasn’t seen you at all since the fire!”

That hit her; poor Cora! Kat had been so wrapped up in forging a path in her new life, she had forgotten her oldest friend. Glancing up at him, she nodded her head. ”I’ll be sure to call on her. But you …” She shook her head. ”You say ‘people talk’, but you talked! And you called me a slut; accused me of being nothing short of a prostitute.” She held her hand up as he was about to speak. ”I will hear no protests from you, no begging for forgiveness, because you shan’t have it. Feel free to talk about me! By Ny’tha, tell the world they can say all they like. Katarya Frost is doing just fine.”

Without giving him another chance to speak, she strode past him with her chin up, ignoring the glances from the nosy folk around her. She had to visit Cora … but she also needed to get back to Artemis.

Her hand went to her bag where her new dagger lay; it gave her some comfort, as she walked the streets of Fellsguard.
Word count: 594