[Mature] A Very Important Book ... Sort of. [Completed]

The young Witch of Fellsguard has a plan, but needs a little assistance in pulling it off ...

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Re: A Very Important Book ... Sort of.

Post by Katarya Frost »

Just as Artemis placed the books into the bag, the room around him was filled with a bright, yellow light, pulsing a little before settling down to a dim glow. When the Thief took notice, around his feet, was a glowing circle of ethereal runes, that seemed to float a few inches from the floor, made of the same yellow light. The glow of the room had no apparent source, it just seemed to permeate the very air.

"One of those books is very special to me, young man." Standing in the doorway, seemingly to have appeared out of nowhere (or had simply been quiet enough to surprise his intruder), an old man in a long nightgown stood, holding up a hand which also sported a single glowing rune. Looking older than Katarya had described him, Mr. Tailor might have looked like an short, harmless man, living alone in a big house and looking frail enough that a strong wind might take him from his feet. But as he stood, channelling power through the rune, his eyes glinted in the glowing light. "It belonged to a very singular woman, you know." He spoke almost conversationally ... as if he weren't a wizard confronting a thief in his own home. "By the by, I would very much caution you, should you attempt to leave that circle. When people explode into a mass of burning ash, I have to spend a very weary day having to clean it all up. The man said, his head nodding to the glowing circle that surrounded Artemis. "Harold Tailor," he said, by way of introduction. "And I ought to kill you, but even at my age curiosity can strike! He chuckled a little at his own, poor jest. "You can start by indulging me. Why would a thief take story books and boring ledgers?" He made a small motion with his hand.

As he did, the air within the circle seemed to thin, slightly. It wasn't so bad that there was a risk of Artemis suffocating, but it was enough to show that, should he will it, the old man might be able to do just that.

Nyx's head cocked, black eyes seeing more than any onlooker might have perceived when glancing at the Tailor house. With a croak, she leapt from the rooftop she had been resting on and took wing.

Her flight was rapid and sure, zig-zagging through the streets until she hurtled through the open window that led to her master's flat, whom she found hunched over her desk. With a series of frantic squawks, the raven tried to relay her message.

As Nyx flew overhead, Kat's boots tapped against the road as she ran, heading as fast as she had ever moved towards Mr. Tailor's. She wasn't entirely sure what was happening; her skills in communicating with her familiar were rusty (to say the very least), but through a little trying she had gotten two things clear; danger and magic.

She had no clue what would be waiting for her when she arrived, so she had simply swept a few things into her bag and had taken off, even leaving her cloak behind, though the adrenaline that coursed through her, born of fear for Artemis and horrific guilt at sending him somewhere dangerous (she hadn't known, she told herself) kept the coldness at bay. She turned onto Thistle street; the house came into view. By now she was breathing so hard and fast that she fear she might faint. When she got to the front door, she placed her hand over it, and through heavy breaths, tried to charm the lock open. When it resisted her, she felt both scared and stupid at the same time ... Mr. Tailor was a magic user ... a wizard, judging by the spell over the lock. Frustrated, she stepped back, reached into her bag and pulled out a long, slender wand, decorated with tiny painted flowers. Starting to chant, she began to unravel the spell and hopefully get to Artemis before anything bad happened ... hoping to Ny'tha it had not already done so.
Word count: 685

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

He froze, hand still touching the books that now rested in his large satchel. There was light around him, and a sense of power in the air. This was never a positive thing to suddenly find as a thief. Then there was the voice, the kind that came from a particularly dangerous sort of people. People that had made it to old age steeped in magical powers. Artemis pulled his arms closer to his body at the man's warning about incineration. Then the air shifted, and the Thief realized he was going to choke like a fish if he didn't start answering questions.

"I'm Artemis Black, Mister Tailor," he said, trying to keep most of the fear out of his voice. "I'm here on the request of the owner, or maybe her granddaughter, of one of those books. Unfortunately, sir, she failed to mention the imposition. Otherwise, I would have just knocked, I think." He offered the man a wane smile, then mimed knocking close to his chest.

He took a few deeper breaths, trying to gauge the retreat of air from his prison. He had to keep the man busy and hope his watchbird had gone to fetch the Witch. "As to why the three, it's a terribly funny story. You see, sir, I grew up in the gutters of this fine city," Artemis said, nodding towards the great window. "As I'm sure such a learned man is aware, education in the city isn't the first priority for the destitute."

Artemis' leg twitched; he had been in an odd crouch for several minutes. "Might I sit down, sir?" he asked the man before slowly seating himself well inside the magic ring. "Where was I, oh, education," he mumbled quickly before continuing in a regular tone, "So, being the gutter urchin I am, no one ever thought to sit me down and teach me to read."
Word count: 316
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Old Mr. Tailor kept his hand forward, channelling the power and holding the circle in place. His old features actually stretched into a smile as Artemis spoke. "Well now! You must be talking about little Katarya; I'd say she was a 'sweet' girl, but if you're her friend, I think we both know she'd probably snap my head off, if I did so dare to imply such a thing!" He chuckled a moment, a gurgling sound that perhaps hinted at ill health. "But your answer makes me ever more curious, young master Black! If the girl wanted the book, she had merely to ask for it! As much as a I treasure it, I would not hold it from her, if she had such a tremendous feeling of sentimentality over it." He shook his head. "Curious."

Outside, Kat's body shivered as the sweat on her skin mixed with the cool night air. She gripped the wand tighter as she whispered words of power, annoyed that the charm over the lock was so complicated. So many questions sat waiting to be addressed about this whole situation, but all her mind could think of was Artemis in danger ... and she had sent him there ... all for a book she didn't need, just so she could see him again. "Idiot." She said to herself, before resuming her work.

"So you're a street urchin and a common thief, who doesn't even know how to read?" The old man shook his head. "It then baffles me when I wonder; why would a smart, capable young woman like Miss Frost, acquaint herself with the likes of you?" Despite his wording, he genuinely seemed more curious than vindictive. "You've certainly got a ... rogue-sh charm to you. You speak well ... though I doubt that'd be enough to get inside the girl's knickers!" He chuckled, lewdly. "Maybe that's the plan? Maybe that's exactly where you want to be? I don't blame you, of course. If I were a lot younger, I'd be wanting to thaw that icy exterior of hers and have a good, long look at what's beneath. I imagine it would taste sweet, to be between those young thighs of hers." His face had taken on a predatory expression, as he spoke so. "Maybe once I've dealt with you, I'll get to find out what's beneath those modest, dark clothes she insists on wearing! After all, it would only be fair! She did send a thief to my house ... perhaps I'll spare her if she parts her legs for me."

Feeling the wand's wood splinter, Kat gritted her teeth. Just a few more seconds ...
Word count: 437

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

As the mage talked, Artemis began to realize Mr. Tailor was the sort of fellow who craved power over others desperately. This wasn't at all uncommon among wizards the Thief imagined, though it did make it particularly unfortunate that he was apparently going to be a sacrifice in this man's twisted fantasies. While the man prattled on it because clear the mage's lascivious thoughts were consuming his attention.

Artemis had heard this sort of thing many times before, though typically only from the drunk or enraged. Not that it really mattered, but he found himself idly wondering if Mr. Tailor was drunk with power or enraged by rejection. Perhaps some blend of the two. When this kind of fellow showed up at the Goose, the staff had to sniff him out and knock him flat. Otherwise, they'd find a battered wench or swain after the scum made an escape.

As his surface thoughts drifted haphazardly, the darker side of Artemis was considering immediate and extreme violence. Throwing a dagger required his arm to extend well past the barrier to keep any sort of accuracy, so that was out. He did a quick mental inventory, 'Blades, chalk, rope, cognac, blueberries, scarf, books, coins.' He started, and a smile split his lips, one that Mr. Tailor would likely take as insolent or insane. "Sir, let me just give you back the books," he said, inching his hands towards the padded pouch on his waist.

It wasn't that different from tossing his dagger, Artemis realized as his hand shot forward, holding the uncapped cognac decanter. He snapped his hand back well before the magical barrier and felt his eyes go wide as his plan worked a bit too well. The amber liquid did indeed catch fire as soon as it touched the edge of the magical ring. It even continued in a burst of flame right at the wicked man's face. Sadly, it also exploded like gunpowder and coated Artemis in a fine mist of the same flame.
Word count: 338
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Perhaps it was just that she had completed breaking the charm already, or perhaps it was the vile, disgusting things that Harold Tailor was saying, that she could hear all too plainly through the door, but with a satisfying click, the lock gave in and the spell broken. She turned the handle and opened the door, her face flushed with a rage that seemed to eclipse her fear.

What greeted her was startling.

Fire flew forth as the spirit hit the circle's edge, spewing outwards towards the leering old man. Mr. Tailor cried out in pain as, although the actual flames didn't quite reach him, the heat did and his face was scorched. While the circle vanished, it seemed the old man was not so easily defeated for, despite his age, he quickly threw his hands forward and shouted a strange word.

But: "Kallista!" Katarya's voice near screamed out, and the spell she cast quickly nullified the fire that was just erupting from the wizards hands. The spell was so forceful that it rippled out, and with a sort of wave of kinetic energy, the flames caused by both the flying alcohol and the spell died fast, leaving only scorch marks wherever it had touched. Luckily, this included Artemis' arms, though whatever damage might have been, the spell would not reverse.

Katarya had never cast a spell like that before, not with such force, and she staggered as she tried to get closer to Artemis. The girl was completely spent.

The old man, however, was not. Pure fury warped his blistered face and he raised his hand again, this time at the stumbling young witch who was gasping for breath, trying to recover from the force that she had unleashed. "Insolent witch!" He howled, and his hands began to glow ...
Word count: 300

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Despite his many run-ins with tavern brawls, backstreet scuffles, and out and out riots, Artemis had never actually been on fire before. It set off alarms in a very small, and yet very loud, part of his brain. He tried to tamp down the rising panic, but all he managed to do was shout incomprehensibly and flail his arms around a bit. Then there was a burst of magic and shouting, and the woman he owed a stern talking to, naked, with spanking. Suddenly, he wasn't on fire, though he still felt like he was burning a little on his skin.

Katarya looked exhausted, it probably took a lot to fight off a much older and more experienced mage so suddenly. Artemis wondered if that was a specific thing casters could train. While his thoughts spun off distractedly, he dove forward, both his arm sheathes dropping daggers into tender gloved palms. He wasn't going to be as near as accurate as he hoped. Then he was on Mr. Tailor, whose eyes were wide in what was rapidly shifting from rage to terror. His left blade sank deep into the mage's gut but missed anything vital. His right blade grazed the man's chest and cheek as it overshot. Then the two men were in a heap heading towards the wall.

Artemis dropped his blades and covered his head as best he could as momentum carried the pinwheeling mass of limbs and blood onward. There was a loud thunk and the sound of soft bones breaking. The thief desperately hoped it wasn't his nose. Deborah always said it was cute, and he'd hate to disappoint her. He wondered what Kat thought about it.

Pushing the thought aside, he lept up and steady himself against the wall. Mr. Tailor appeared to be bleeding from several places, including a gash on his temple. Artemis left the crumpled man and made his way to Katarya, snatching the half-empty crystal decanter as he went. "Kat, we need to go," he said raggedly as he moved.
Word count: 341
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat was clinging on to a chair, trying to catch her breath. Her eyes had been wide with fear for Artemis as he grappled with the elderly mage, and she had had to look away when the blades did their work. When he approached her, she near flung herself at him, wrapping her arms around him for a moment, heedless of the blackened clothing. "By Ny'tha, I'm so sorry," she said, breathlessly. But he was right, they needed to go. If the commotion hadn't caught the attention of neighbours, it would have been a miracle!

It almost seemed like a competition; who could hold each other the firmest as they made their way out of the house, the sounds of a moaning Mr. Tailor at their backs.

Thankfully, the street was clear; though lights from several windows announced that people were up. Indeed the darkness was not so heavy ... all due to the yellow and orange glow over the rooftops. Katarya stared at it a moment, and something inside her turned to ice.

As Nyx descended out of the darkness, screeching wildly, she grabbed hold of Artemis' had and started to run, pulling him along behind her, saying the same thing over and over ... "No ... please, Ny'tha; no!"

The cause of her distress soon became apparent.

As they turned the corner and finally arrived on her street, the noise of people shouting, a noise which had started out as soon as they were but a few feet away from Mr. Tailor's, now filled the air, along with gasps and exclamations. There were a line of men, passing bucket after bucket along the chain they had made.

Kat's shop, Lilian's Apothecary, was engulfed in flames.

The young witch sank to the floor, her eyes fixed on the structure whose fire reached high into the sky. Cracking and crashing caused the ever growing crowd around the scene to jump back in fear, as the brave men, mostly guards but some local folk, tried in vain to put out the fire. The buckets they passed were nothing in comparison to the inferno. "Artemis .." She whispered, as her heart broke inside her. She felt faint in shock, as if this couldn't be real.

But it was all too real.

And then, as if the gods themselves were determined to punish the two, a shout came from behind them. "There they are! Grab them!"

Three guards, coming from the direction they had fled, were running towards them, while Katarya stared with eyes full of defeat, at the utter destruction of her life.
Word count: 427

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

They were moving, that was what was important. As long as you kept moving, you weren't dead just yet. Artemis' had blocked out most of the short trip back to the shop, right up until he heard Nyx shouting her head off. There were people everywhere, shouting and moving. Then she looked at him, said his name in a desperate way he couldn't imagine coming from her lips. "Bhelest's balls," was all he got out as the fire tugged at the fear he'd only just discovered. Then the oh so familiar shout and the tramp of city-issued boots. Someone had snitched something fierce, and now they were coming after Katarya.

He flexed his free hand, and nothing moved. With a grunt of annoyance, he realized he'd left both his good daggers behind. Well, time to run on. "Hold on, Kat. Beaky, eyes up!" he shouted as he lifted the other woman in his arms, her head on his shoulder. With that, he took a broad step and then another. Soon he was moving at a good clip, and by the time he reached a pile of boxes, he was able to take the large steps with only a small drop in speed.

Artemis had done this same run hundreds of times in his life. Carrying a sack of grain, a pale of salt, or even a bag of apples. None of those had prepared him for the odd warmth he felt tickling the back of his mind as he gripped Katarya's thighs and felt her breath on his neck. He'd also never had a spotter who could fly. Nyx croaked a warning and dove to the north suddenly. The thief followed, moving onto the far side of the next roof and continuing behind raised gables. He could hear shouting on the street he'd been facing. "She's too smart for her own good, you know," he said in-between ragged breaths.

They kept on like this, him running, her being held close, Nyx guiding, until Artemis' vision began to fill with black. He skidded to a halt and deposited Kat in the shadow of a larger roof before slumping down beside her. "I need-" he coughed twice before he was able to get his lungs under control. A few steadying breaths and he tried again, "I need to rest, or all they'll find is some mangled bones and skin."
Word count: 397
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

The world spun around her, just as her mind seemed to detach itself from the reality; the hard, awful reality that she would have given anything to have it not be so. And when she found herself being carried - something the Katarya of just an hour ago would never have allowed, all she could feel was a numbness as she tried to grapple with the events of the evening. The letter, Mr. Tailor, her shop - her home ...

The journey could have been ten hours or ten seconds; she didn't know. When at last he let her go to rest on in the shadows, she couldn't speak. This was too much! No one could bare this, no one. The loss ... it was simply too much for her. Even when Artemis spoke, she found herself looking at him, her expression blank.

When Nyx fluttered down and perched on her knee, the raven watched her with her head cocked, as if listening. Then, she let out a loud squawk, which made Kat near jump out of her skin. It had the effect of being slapped in the face, and her expression went from blank, to near frantic. "Someone burned down my shop!" She said, stating the obvious. She wasn't sure if she was saying it to anyone but herself, as if she didn't trust her memory. Then she began to shake; not from the cold, but the shock of it all. She wrapped her arms around herself and dipped her head. There were no tears ... Kat wasn't the kind of girl who cried, even now. "I'm finished ... I'm ruined!" She said, wrapped in self-pity. For this moment, the pragmatic young witch gave in to her emotions. When she looked up, her eyes searched his, then she looked down at his hands.

Seeing the red patches of lightly burned skin, seemed to have an effect on her. She took his hands in her own. "You're hurt, she said, quietly. "You need ... you ... we need help." She shook her head. "I have no idea what to do." The way she spoke, it was as if she had never felt so helpless before. And she hadn't. Never had she felt so fragile and out of control, even when her grandmother had died. She couldn't muster up a plan, no matter how hard she tried. She had always relied on the security of her home, her position ... what was she now, now that had been taken from her? She raised his hand to her lips and kissed the skin gently, in a completely uncharacteristically gentle fashion. "I can't tell you how sorry I am." She said, not meeting his eyes.
Word count: 445

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He watched her, wide eyed and panicked as she came back to the world. Shock could grip the mind far worse than any drink or drug he’d ever seen. He tried to keep his heaving breaths under control as she broke into pieces sitting there in the shadows. Nyx had brought her back, but only to the horrors of what was actually happening. He kept quiet, building his strength. They weren’t terribly far from his destination, but it would still be a slog if he had to carry her. He noticed she refused to cry, though her eyes shined just the same. Then she had his hand, looking over his ruined gloves, the thin material wasn’t designed for magical fire, and at the superficial burns there. He managed to not wince when she held his hand, and her lips felt ice cold on his skin.

Artemis grinned as a thought came to him. He rummaged in his outer pocket and pulled out a handful of berries. He tossed one to Nyx while Katarya avoided his gaze. “Are you bleeding? Open your mouth,” he said to her with concern in his voice. When she did he stuffed three plump berries onto her tongue. “Chew, slowly, you’ll need the energy. We’re not safe here, and I can’t carry you the entire way before the sun rises.” His voice was gentle, without the usual undertone of amusement. He understood losing everything, but he couldn’t remember what it had felt like the first time. He also imagined it was made all the worse by how much everything she had lost.

As she chewed he stroked her hair and talked, keeping his voice steady and soft. “There’s a place, haven’t cleaned it yet, but it’s got a lot of room. Under it, there’s a stone tunnel. Leads right to the Goose, used to be for running barrels I think. No one owns the place now, haven’t seen a tax inspector in years Cook says.” He took a second to check how she was doing and continued on. “I’ve got a bed of sorts there at least, and we can get you some sleep. Figure out what to do next when the boots aren’t on our heels.”

Internally he was fighting himself with every word. ‘This was going to be my place, a safe haven, one dearly earned with years of money set aside. I’ve struggled and scraped so much, losing everything time and again. Now I’m tossing it away just because a pretty girl with soft kisses caught my fancy.’ He growled audibly as that thought flit across his mind and he smashed it down. ‘No, not a pretty girl. A friend, one of the few, needs my help.’ Artemis shook himself as he brought his errant thoughts into line. He realized he was just holding a bit of Katarya’s hair in his raised palm. He chuckled, dropped the hair and moved back to offer her a hand up. “Come on now. There’s a bit more to do before you can fall completely to pieces Kat,” he said, giving her his best possible grin.
Word count: 537