[Mature] A Life Worth Living [Completed]

The Thief and The Witch go in search of things needed to keep on in the world

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: [Mature] A Life Worth Living

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia’s breath caught for a second when Katarya mentioned she was a witch. However, she seemed to be a helpful sort, despite that. “I...I’m not sure about enchanting the silk. Depends on what the boss here says,” Ksenia replied, pointing toward Artemis. “He hired me to make whatever I could out of the fabric he gave me so that it could be sold. Might not sell as well here if it’s been magicked up.”

Ksenia looked at Artemis. “I don’t know though; maybe we could enchant you to actually have a ‘dear old nan’ who gave you the silk?” She smirked at him. “I understand now why you haven’t been back to the Goose in such a long time.” Ksenia let her eyes flick over to Katarya. “Goodness, you must be tired.” She heard Artemis mumble something unintelligible.

“Don’t worry, everyone at the Goose has been rather nice. Marcy and the other tavern staff have told me so many stories of your various...exploits...and just chatter about the other patrons.” Ksenia smiled sweetly. “It’s kept me entertained while I’ve been working. I’ve got a pair of sleeves done, and I’m working on a ladies’ bag and a belt next.”

Remembering Katarya’s question about rumors, Ksenia frowned a bit trying to recall. “I haven’t heard any odd rumors floating about, but I’m in the back most of the time anyway. Nor have I heard anything about a witch.” Her voice dropped on the last word, as though trying to hide it. “Does...Nyx like to be petted?”
Word count: 271
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Race: Human
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

"Any traces of magic in the material would only be detected by a skilled magic user, she said. "Something simple wouldn't cause much trouble, but I understand if not.

Her eyes looked to Artemis as she called him 'boss', then raised a brow at 'dear old nan', she gave a short laugh. "Looks like you're not the only one who can spin a yarn, Ksenia."

Nyx was sat on her arm, which she extended towards the young seamstress. "She does if she likes you." She said with a smile, as Nyx croaked croaked. "She's a spoiled thing, thanks to Mr. Black. Though she deserves it. She's helped us out when we've been in a pickle, before."

The raven fixed her eyes on Ksenia, moving along Kat's arm until she was closer to her, then gave a quiet squawk, perhaps as an invitation?
Word count: 142

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis was doing his best to restrain and ignore his rather sassy associate. In the end, he could only hold himself back so far. "I take it, given your clear distaste for me, you're not interested in continuing your work then?" he asked Ksenia in a suddenly professional tone. He'd adjusted his posture in the chair to look almost like a negotiating businessman. "If that's not the case, then you might want to tighten your tongue just a touch Ms. Prick. Lest you have the wrinkles for a nan far too soon," he said with no hint of emotion in his voice.

Then he turned and grinned at Katarya, becoming interested and animated again, "I think if Deborah approves and you're willing Kat, it's a wonderful idea. Definitely, don't want to do the entire stock though I imagine. I can leave it the two of you if you're interested. Though we'll need to establish the rest of the Seamstress' contract first." He watched Ksenia interact with Nyx and had to keep back an urge to prompt the bird. He didn't actually want to drive away the seamstress, but he clearly owed her a stern talking to.
Word count: 196
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia wrinkled her nose in distaste. “I don’t appreciate people lying to me.” She withdrew her fingertips from Nyx’s neck feathers, where she'd been giving the bird gentle scratches. “Also, I haven’t actually seen you since you gave me the silk and set me up with the room. I only have what other people have told me, what you’re like. I take it you’re not the ladies’ man you’ve been painted to be?”

“I’m making things to sell out of the silk, as we agreed. I’ve been eating midday and evening meals in the tavern so I can see what might be popular goods. I’m keeping up my part of the bargain.”
Ksenia clenched her jaw. “And my name is not Miss Prick, thank you.” The double entendre reminded her sharply of some of the things she’d heard Mam called; “slut” and “whore” were some of the kinder ones. Being Mam’s daughter, well, it had been assumed she would take on her mother’s dubious qualities.

“We can discuss my contract after we eat, Mister Boss, unless it turns your stomach too much.” Ksenia hitched her shoulders back a bit. “Without my work, you’d have almost nothing to sell, and I expect that will be reflected in my share.”
Word count: 221
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He frowned at the entirely reasonable venom in her response. Then he sighed and scrubbed his face with his hands. "Sorry, Ksenia. It's been a very difficult few days. And no, I'm likely not half of what the tavern tales say about me," he said partway through his palms. "Except for the good ones, and just call me Artemis. Mr. Black, if you must," he added as he put his hands back on the table. "I apologize for misleading you, I was on the high of the chase and had rather thoroughly broken ribs at the time. As for your contract, I'm sure this has been terribly confusing."

He shifted in his chair to relax before continuing, "On top of a promise to be a slightly more attentive manager, I can give you thirty-five percent of the profit. That's after materials, loans, and seller's fees. If you're willing to figure out the selling without Dash, then that's an easy fifty percent straight to your pocket." He paused as the server arrived with mugs of ale and a single grog.

"There's, of course, the option to take nothing, and redirect the funds into the purchase plan, but I'm not going to go into all of that without being somewhere a bit more private," he said offering her a weak smile as he motioned at the crowded room.
Word count: 226
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“I would like to know all my options before I make a decision,” Ksenia replied, thoughtfully. “I’m not sure I would have the connections, or the expertise, to sell like Mr Da- O’Dell would.” She tapped her fingers on the sides of her mug. “Also I would like to know what this ‘purchase plan’ of yours is.”

“As for the stories...does this mean the one about the three barmaids and the midget isn’t true? Shame, that one had me laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe for a good minute and Marcy started talking about getting Robert to come out.” Ksenia grinned.

The server set down three plates of crispy fried fish. “Wait, what did you get Katarya? I think they forgot yours.” Ksenia turned around to flag down the server.
Word count: 135
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya watched the conversation with a somewhat amused smile on her face. Artemis was getting back as much as he was giving, and then some. When questioned on the food, she simply shrugged. ""I can't recall, the fish, I believe ... my appetite isn't as good as it ought to be."

When her meal was sat in front of her, so too did Nyx made a hop to her shoulder, making the witch smile. "Looks like I'm sharing! She mumbled, handing a piece of food to the greedy raven. The two were becoming closer, and thus would help her be able to use the bird for more magical purposes.

"So," She said, as she ate. "Is this the grand plan? Make clothes for folk, and earn out fortune? She played with her food as she spoke. "I like the idea, but I do hope it's an idea among many!" She glanced between Ksenia and Artemis "I might be a little ... well, destitute at the moment, but I still have some connections to the business around here, and also the slums." She turned to Ksenia. "Many people in that poor area know me through a lot of them being my patients ... would you consider including them in your client list, so that we might build up a network? It won't just stop at the slums; if we can build up enough support, there is no reason why all of us could not walk away from this a lot richer than we are." She glanced to Artemis. "Especially if I were allowed to use my own skills in enchanting, on the clothes that were sold. Give a man a tonic embedded with certain spells he may be more inclined to hand over his silver." She raised a questioning brow.

As she spoke, she felt her chest grow a little warmer. She put a hand to her shirt and frowned. "Something's wrong,"she said, and Nyx let out a small squawk. "There's danger ... I don't know from where though ..."

And then, three guards walked into the inn, casting their eyes about the place.
Word count: 349

Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Artemis caught the mood near the door just before the Witch's warning. He started to lift the heavy table and shout but felt the cost of several days of constant exhaustion slow his efforts. By the time the table had been upended, the guards roaming eyes spotted them. He couldn't tell if they were after just Katarya, or him as well. Marcy, ever ready for something interesting, had already gripped Ksenia by the shoulder and was practically dragging the seamstress to the door before the fried fish hit the ground.

Contrary to all the bard's tales, most common folks have little interest in obstructing the city watch. Particularly when they aren't the ones being pursued. The chain clad men's boots trumped through the crowd only slowed by the scattered tables and chairs. The Thief made a move to follow Marcy, wrapping an arm around Katarya as he went. He desperately wanted to avoid any sort of stand up fight.
Word count: 161
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Marcy had hauled Ksenia to the door with surprising speed considering how many table legs Ksenia’s toes found. “Get out of the alleys. Head for a main road. Then get home.” Marcy spoke quickly in a low tone, shoving Ksenia out of the Gutted Wife’s door.

Ksenia walked at a purposeful speed toward the last main road they’d come across. She’d have to go through an alleyway or two, but not for long. A few people turned to look at her, but most ignored her when they saw only a girl hustling to make her errands. A drunk spilled out of a door along the way and tried to make a grab for her; she felt his sweaty fingers brush her arm as she shied away.

Once she made it to the alley, Ksenia picked up her skirts and sprinted. She tripped over a stone, slowed to catch her balance, and continued to the next corner. She checked around the corner. Nothing there. She sighed and sprinted the next stretch until she was almost to the main road.

Stopping close to the main road, Ksenia shook her clothes out and smoothed her hair back. She entered the road at a more sedate pace, as though out for a stroll. Following the road west absent-mindedly, she began to plan her route home.

“YOU!” a man roared. Before Ksenia located the owner of the voice, her vision blurred with the force of a backhand. She fell on the ground, sprawling. “Thrice-damned bitch! May Misanyt take you in his poxy arms!” She saw him pull back for a punch.

“No! I’m not her!” Ksenia squeaked. She put her hands up. “I’m not Inessa!”

The man checked his fist and squinted at her. “So you aren’t.” He spat next to her. “You’re the spittin’ image of that lying whore,” he sneered. “As like you was her daughter. Probably just like her, too.” He snorted and stomped off.

Ksenia put a hand to her hot cheek, then snatched it away. Pulling herself up off the ground, she brushed the dirt off her skirts and began walking again. The tear that crept down her cheek was quickly dashed away. She held her spine straight and walked toward the nearest crossroad. She could take the next road going south and then east back to the Goose. Hopefully, Marcy, Artemis and Katarya had gotten out of the tavern without any trouble, she thought, her footsteps heavy with the fatigue after a fright.
Last edited by Ksenia on October 18th, 2019, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 424
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c

Post by Katarya Frost »

Kat managed a quick glare as Artemis put his arm around her waist. Despite the potential conclusion of being caught by the guard for murder, there was still a part of her that disliked being 'ushered', but, cradling Nyx in her arms out of sight of the guard, she allowed herself to be taken outside.

Once there, Nyx took flight, and Katarya glanced at Artemis. "Well, that was a ...

"Miss Kat?"

Katarya looked up to see a man, probably in his late forties, gaping at her as if in shock. Katarya sported a somewhat similar expression. "Mr. Cobb!"

The man, shook his head, his eyes still wide. "We thought you might be dead! what with not seeing hide nor hair of you after the fire!" He was holding a bag of foodstuffs, and standing right in their way.

Katarya didn't know if she felt panicked or not, but she needed to keep a cool head. She gave him a sad smile. "Oh, I am sorry. You must have been so worried. But as you can see, I am perfectly alive and well." She glanced at Artemis and Marcy. "These are friends of mine; they've been helping me since the incident." She gave as warm a smile as she could manage. "My friends, this is Mr. Cobb ... or Seargent Cobb when he's got his handsome uniform on! He's the father of Cora," she said the name to them as if it should mean something. She hadn't seen her best friend since before the fire. "And a member of the city guard." She finished.

Mr. Cobb ... or Sergeant Cobb, gave them both friendly nods. "Good day," he said. "And thank you for looking after our young miss Kat, here!" He looked back to the girl in question. "Our Cora has been beside herself! Why haven't you been in touch?! You know she's due any day now."

Kat felt an anxious frustration, and also guilt. "I know, and I feel terrible." She said, which was partly true. She had all but forgotten Cora; as if her heavily pregnant was from a former life. "I was in such a state, that my friends here took me back to their home so I could rest. I will be sure to stop by and see Cora, just as soon as I am able."

Mr. Cobb nodded. "Be sure to, or I'll ever hear the end of it." He reached out and patted her arm (something she'd never allow anyone to do, so casually, but the situation called for her to play the game). "And may I say I am dreadfully sorry to hear about the fire. All of that, gone to ash, and nothing left but an old box. You poor thing ..."

'An old box?' she thought, her eyes widening. By Ny'tha, of course!

"Come on, Kat. You said you needed to be there by noon." Marcy said, from behind her. To her credit, Marcy sounded very casual.

The young witch blinked, looking at Marcy, then realising. "Of course, yes." She turned back to the sergeant. "I'll pop by to see Cora in the morning. If you see her before I do, let her know I am sorry, and that she can scold me until her heart's content. Have a good day, Mr. Cobb." She turned to leave with the others, then, she turned back. "I can image that you will understand, but do you know how the fire was started?" She asked ... she could almost feel Marcy and Artemis' frustration that she had not taken the opportunity to flee.

But the older gentleman didn't seem like he was interested in arresting anyone. He shook his head. "I'm sorry, Kat. No one is quite sure. Some of the lads thought it had been set deliberate, like ... but who'd want to hurt a healer? That's what i said at any rate. Do you think something happened that I should know about?"

Kat felt stupid for asking, as his eyes narrowed ever so slightly. She put on a sufficiently sad face (which was not entirely forced), "I'll be the first to own up to being a little ... acid-tongued, now and then. But I know of no one who would try and hurt me." She could practically feel Artemis and Marcy's urgent glances at her. "I must be off ...

"If you think there's anyone out there if means to hurt you, then ..."

Marcy had seemed that enough was enough, and Kat felt her arm being pulled. She gave him an apologetic smile and nodded. "I'll report it, right away. Good day." She said, again, before moving off and getting out of sight from Sergeant Cobb.

"I'm sorry," She said to the duo, as soon as they were out of earshot. "But surely it would have been more suspicious if I hadn't asked!?" Kat grabbed Artemis by the arm. "The box!" she said, with flushed cheeks. "The box survived! It must have been the charms on it!" Her voice was a mix of excited and fearful. "You have to go get that box, Artemis. I'll beg if I have to!"

At their questioning looks, she clarified. "The box is where my grandmothers Book of Shadows is! And it seems to have survived the fire!" Kat talked as if everything was sunny and great, her eyes twinkled in the morning sun. "Please?"
Word count: 892