Laying the Foundations [Completed]

Ksenia and Artemis work to begin building their future.

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Race: Human and Kerasoka
Class: Alchemist

Re: Laying the Foundations

Post by Ksenia »

The heat of the mug Artemis had handed her stung Ksenia’s hands. “I...you’re right. I just don’t feel much like eating, but I’ll try.” She pushed the mug away slightly.

Following another glare from Deb, Ksenia popped a chunk of meat into her mouth. “It’s gone fairly well. We’ve got all the pieces cut out from the fabric ordered. I’m planning to get one of the main clothing pieces done tonight, probably the skirt. Sew the other tomorrow, and that leaves time for any adjustments.” She ate another piece of meat from her plate, chewing thoughtfully. “Mr. O’Dell and I were discussing adding pockets and things like he did for those clothes he made for you. I’m not sure what Katarya might want, but I figured a few hiding spots would be a good idea.”

She stabbed a few vegetables and put them in her mouth, chewing and swallowing quickly, as though to get it over with sooner. “She’s going to hate these uniforms. The sketches made her horrified enough. It’s completely different than anything I’ve seen her wear, ever.” Ksenia shoveled more vegetables into her mouth. “You’ll probably enjoy it though,” she said with a wry smile.

“Sorry the day hasn’t gone well for you. Maybe tomorrow will go better,” she offered, sipping from the mug of tea.
Word count: 234
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis glanced over at Deborah, an eyebrow raised in question. “I assume you pushed her into confronting me,” the Korcai said, moving her hand to idly stoke Ksenia’s back. “She seems to have some troubles, and took things worse than I expected. Though you weren’t much better,” she added giving Artemis a smirk. He frowned back at her, not wanting to spend too much thought on his complete breakdown the first time he’d realized just what he was to her.

‘Food, cared for, catered to, food,’ he thought before he could crush the line of thinking. He shook his head and refocused on the half-elf. “Are you going to be able to keep working? I don’t know if we can stretch the timeline, things are pretty set in stone,” he asked Ksenia, clear concern in his voice. “I know this isn’t exactly a relaxed thing, but the payout is very large for the work.” He knew that wasn’t why he had agreed to do this job. He knew that his troubles were making things terribly difficult for the woman. He also knew he couldn’t back out, not now that there was so much invested.

“I promise you, after this is finished, I let you alone. You can train, make things for people, whatever you like. I can’t say I want have requests, but they’ll be no more important than any other things you wish to do. You’ve more than proven yourself, it’s time you started seeing some of the benefits you’ve given me.” Artemis stayed silent for a moment, looking at his hands intently. Then he rose and nodded to Deborah. “Don’t snap her in half. I’m going home, won’t be around all tomorrow. Stay safe, maybe go shopping or something,” he said as he moved away from the table. He disappeared out the back door to the kitchen with a wave and a whistle. {Going. Friend. Safe.}
Word count: 333
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

“The work will get done. Don’t worry about that.” Ksenia’s mouth set in a firm line. “I’ll make it happen.” She sighed. “I guess I’m not as done with my past as I thought. It’s just terrible timing it decided to pop up now.” She rubbed her face.

As Artemis left with a warble of birdsong, Ksenia tried to copy the one she knew - “friend” and the last one which was new. It still wasn’t right but it was better. “I’m full, Deb, I promise. Can I go work on the skirt now?” She swallowed hard. “And maybe, if you’re not too busy, you can come sit and talk?”

Deb smiled. “I can do that.” She took Ksenia’s plate, topped off the mug of tea, and led her upstairs. Ksenia pushed open the door to her room and pulled the pieces out of her pocket.

“I really need to make a bag for work after all this is over,” Ksenia mused. “It’s too easy for things to get crumpled while I'm walking.” She pushed her bedroll against the wall. “You can sit over here if you like. I don’t have chairs.”

Deb sat on the bedroll, leaning her back against the wall. She caught Ksenia’s eye, and patted her lap. “You want me to sit in your lap? While I sew? What if I stick you?” Ksenia asked. Deb gave Ksenia a look.

“You can come sit, or I can drain you until you’re drunk and leave you for Artemis.”

Ksenia squeaked. “Deb!” Her face was bright red.

“Then come sit.”

Ksenia grabbed her pieces, her thread, and her needlebook and sat down in Deb’s lap. Deb smiled and kissed Ksenia’s ear lightly before taking her top off and pressing Ksenia back against her bare chest. Ksenia felt uncomfortably squished and squirmed a little. “I’ll stay, but can you loosen up a little so I can sew please?”

Deb loosened her grip so that Ksenia could use her arms. Ksenia pinned the pieces together and started telling Deb about the outfits she was working on. “Artemis said he’d give me more time after this contract is done...would you want me to make you anything?”

“I really don’t have anything I need. Maybe a pair of gloves for winter.” Deb mused. She shifted her hands on Ksenia’s abdomen. “I like the fingerless ones.” Ksenia bit back a giggle; Deb’s hands tickled.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Ksenia said, grinning. Deb poked her nose with her index finger and stroked her hair. Ksenia settled in and sewed her seams.

The skirt was finished and the first pieces of the top pinned when Ksenia started to feel sleepy. “Deb?” she yawned. “I think...I better go to sleep…”

Deb kissed the top of her head. “Get undressed and I’ll tuck you in.” Ksenia nodded and yawned again. She pulled off her dress and her top to toss over her work table. Deb had fluffed her pillow and spread out her blanket. “Get in,” Deb said, kindly. Ksenia slid under the blanket and Deb tucked it around her shoulders and under her feet. “Sleep well, dearest.”

Ksenia woke up, feeling remarkably refreshed, and got to the kitchen in time for a quick breakfast before heading out to Mr. O’Dell’s shop. “Good morning, Mr. O’Dell,” Ksenia greeted him as she walked in.

“Good morning, Ksenia. Have you completed the skirt last night as you planned?” He looked up from his ledger. “We have a very long day ahead of us to have everything completed by tomorrow.”

“And we’ll have it done, I’m sure. Mr. Black was worried about it last night but I told him that we’d finish in time,” she said.

“Then let us get to work,” he said, closing the ledger with a decisive snap. He flicked the curtain back from his doorway and led Ksenia back to his workroom.
Word count: 678
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He woke up in his bed and groaned. First sleeping against the wall the other night, and now another evening cold and alone. Things were supposed to be getting better, not sliding back to worse. He stretched, slowly trying to loosen his muscles in the dark stone room. When several minutes of that proved fruitless he rose from his haphazardly piled straw and lit the rooms only lantern.

“Need to practice with the crossbow, go check on the contacts for last minute changes, and see if Ksenia’s work is getting along,” he said to the empty room. He found he was talking to himself a lot lately. When he’d considered it he figured he was getting used to having other people around. It made mornings like this one particularly bothersome.

The streets were quiet, only the tired shufflings of the early risers moving about in preparation for the throngs of people soon to come. Artemis caught sight of his man as he rounded the corner and fell in behind the fellow easily enough. He kept a good distance, not wanting to be over close without the convenient masking of a dense crowd. The contact gave a soft whistle, Artemis replied, and then the man dropped a small satchel. The thief scooped it up, not even breaking stride, and turned immediately into a side alley. He tucked the satchel into his larger one and made his way to the north district.

Artemis walked in to the empty front area of Fine Gentleman’s Attire and frowned. It wasn’t lunch yet, which meant O’Dell and Ksenia were likely working in the back, but it was odd to not see even one of the apprentices manning the counter. He moved quietly up to the back doorway and peered inside. The thief gave a soft chuckle when he saw the master and associate working away, the young apprentices sitting around the room looking on in awe.
Word count: 326
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia turned to look for a pin and spotted Artemis in the doorway. “Morning Artemis, did you need anything? Or just coming by to check on the progress?” She stood up and shook out her legs, tight from kneeling and bending to check fit on the form.

“A woman at work is always worth watching,” he responded with a grin. “But I was just checking in. Did you need anything, the old man not being too difficult?” he asked her, leaning against the door frame.

Ksenia raised an eyebrow. “Uh huh. No, I’m fine, Mister O’Dell has been quite forthcoming with information and I don’t think we need anything unless you’re volunteering to get lunch for us all.” She smirked at him.

“I can do that, but does all include the littles?” he looked at Mr. O’Dell who gave him a smile and a nod. “Alright then, bread, chicken, and roasted apples. Back in a few, don’t be easy on her.” He waved over his shoulder as he left the shop humming softly.

“I’m almost tempted to leave a pin in when he goes to put on those breeches,” Ksenia muttered. She shook her head. “So for the closures here on the bodice, I’m concerned about the strain. Should we add in boning, just in case?”
Word count: 224
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Challenge Roll
To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Artemis set off for a local place that was nestled into one of the north districts rare servant areas. The places were kept back from main roads, hidden in alleys and bustling with activity. Rich residents wanted all the comforts of having their staff nearby, but didn’t want to know about them doing things like needing to eat. One such oasis of respite offered delicious spiced chicken legs.

Artemis approached the large man working the food wagon as his wife and children prepared food for waiting patrons. “I’ll take six bundles, the good stuff if you can,” Artemis said to the man, sliding a quarter-silver onto the wagon’s broad railing. The man nodded, took the coin and repeated the order to his family in their unique pidgin words. “It’ll be a minute, new batch of apples coming up. Feel free to have a seat, and the boys will get it over to you when it’s done,” the proprietor said before turning his attention to the next customer.

Artemis moved over to one of several scattered tables and worn looking chairs. Several of them were occupied, pairs or single folks enjoying their meal. He settled into a chair and gave it a few scoots to settle most of its imbalance. He gave his face a quick scrub and when he could see again there was a heavyset woman sitting across from him. Artemis tensed, recognizing the small tattoo on her neck. ‘Two pinpricks, ringed in yellow; Vipers,’ he thought as he moved his hand to slowly pull a dagger from his belt.

The Viper gang member just stared at him for several long tense minutes. Finally the she put her forearms on the table, a sign of diplomacy among thieves, and spoke. “I hear you roughed up one of our guys, now you’re in our territory. What’s a gosling doing out here?” she asked, her voice rough and slightly unpleasant to the ear. Artemis noticed the flicker of movement to his side as two other gang members tried to surreptitiously move to flank him.

“You must have wool for ears then, because I didn’t touch him. Though maybe he peed himself in fear. I’m also not affiliated any more. You snakeheads were always a bit slow, but this is bad even for you,” he said, leaning back his chair to lever it off the ground. If need be he could spring up and deal with an attacker without having to jerk to a stand and be up under the table.

For her part the leading woman looked dumbstruck. Artemis had to struggle not to sneer in disgust at her. The Vipers always had been meatheads and fools, but he’d hoped they’d at least kept some brains knocking around. He could see the gears grinding over in the woman’s head, and hear the restless shuffle of her toughs waiting on a command. This was the most frustrating thing about working with the slow-witted.

After several long moments of rigorous thought the woman snarled and leaned further onto the table. “So you’re a liar, and with no one to come help. Maybe we beat the truth out of you?” she mocked, her toughs taking a shuffling step forward.

Artemis bared his teeth, giving the woman an aggressive facsimile of a smile. “Did they ever tell you why your boss named me Black of the Night?” he asked, using an uneven harsh whisper. The woman blinked at him, uncertain how to reply. “It’s because for thugs like you, I’m the last thing you’ll see before you greet the dawn of the afterlife.” As he finished Artemis slammed two knives into the table in a flash of motion before drawing and holding up two more. “Do you want to find out how many I’ve got, or drop this and walk away?” he asked her, tensing his legs and raising his chair slightly further.

The woman visibly flinched when the blades thunked into the wood. Her face drained of color as she realized she hadn’t even seen him draw the first pair of knives. Without saying a word, she rose and jerkily moved away from the table. Artemis felt the other thugs follow her reluctantly. He imagined several of them were weighing their chances to get in a strike before the thief reacted. There were several tense silent moments and then soft chatter returned to the scattered patrons. A young boy came up to Artemis, his eyes wide with wonder.

“Your- Your food sir,” he said with only a slight stutter.

Artemis smiled at the boy and tossed him a copper before scooping up the packed cloth laden with steaming fresh food.
Last edited by Artemis Black on October 26th, 2019, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Word count: 796
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

A knock on the door heralded Artemis’s return; the bundle he carried wafted a delicious aroma of spiced chicken and apples. Ksenia’s mouth watered, but she did want to finish the construction of the top first. Mr. O’Dell motioned to one of his apprentices to let Artemis in, and he spread his bounty atop the work table. Ksenia waved at him briefly and returned to her work.

Mr. O’Dell was similarly occupied with Artemis’s skin-tight trousers. “Mr. Black, if I may trouble you to allow me to check your measurements?” Artemis blinked and nodded towards the various other people in the room. “Nonsense, Mr. Black, these are all consummate professionals, I assure you,” Mr. O’Dell said in response. “I will need you to take off your pants down to your smallclothes.”

Artemis shrugged and walked over to the man. He sat in a chair and shucked his boots before lifting aside his tunic and wiggling out of his pants. “Do what you need to then,” he said, standing and taking a relaxed pose. Mr. O’Dell’s tape measure crept up the inside of Artemis’s thigh, to a point where Ksenia expected him to flinch - or make a crack about expecting dinner first. Mr. O’Dell checked Artemis’s measurement sheet, scribbled on it, and began measuring across the front of Artemis’s smallclothes.

Ksenia tried to keep her focus on her own work. Mr. O’Dell said quietly, “I see your measurements appear not to have changed. I believe I can work with your existing numbers, unless you think there is some reason to take new measurements.”

“Fine by me,” Artemis said, moving over to the table of food. “May as well eat now, before the food gets cold.”

Ksenia finished the current seam and set the top aside. “I should warn you, Katarya is going to hate these clothes. Also, after the - well, after you’re done using them, try to save any metal bits but destroy the cloth. Leftovers here won’t be an issue, but the last thing you need is someone tracing discarded clothing here.” She selected some chicken from the table.

Artemis nodded to Ksenia’s instructions, distinctly not looking at the woman as he moved over to gather some food of his own. “I can ensure the stuff gets burned. No promises on the bits and bobs though,” he said as he grabbed a particularly crusty chunk of bread.

After Artemis left, Ksenia happened to glance at the sheet of his measurements. Well, that explained why Katarya was enamored with him, she thought, with a wry grin. She stretched, rotating her wrists and flexing her fingers, before finishing the final seams on the top.

“Now, for Mr. Black and his lady’s special modifications,” Mr. O’Dell said, coming up next to Ksenia. “One of the easier methods of hiding a pocket is along a seam as there is already a line there,” he said, showing her a concealed pocket along the front seam of Artemis’s jacket. “Doubly so when there’s trim along it. For this jacket, placement of additional pockets will be easy; in the pants, there’s much less available room for hiding, but I intend to add loops for daggers along the thighs that can be reached from the knee. Where are you planning to add modifications for the lady?” Ksenia explained her thoughts and Mr. O’Dell gave her several more considerations for the placements, showing why he would have chosen a particular method.

By the end of the day, both outfits were completed. Ksenia rolled them up, along with a copy of the design sketch one of the apprentices had helpfully made. As she made ready to leave, Mr. O’Dell walked her to the door. “It’s tomorrow, correct? I shall expect you just after sundown. Back door, please.” Ksenia nodded and left quietly.

Tomorrow would be a very long day. She planned to keep vigil in the back room of the haberdashery until they were safe - or until she was needed. They might meet up after, to keep each other company until the adrenaline wore off; Ksenia knew Deb would probably be feeding back at the Goose and didn’t want to stumble upon another meal being offered.
Word count: 724
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia pushed open the door to Mr. O’Dell’s shop. Still fuzzy headed from lack of sleep and her crying fit, she shambled her way into the back room and yawned, trying to hide it unsuccessfully. “I presume the late night did you no favors,” Mr. O’Dell said, by way of greeting. He motioned to a teapot snuggled in a cozy off to the side and Ksenia gratefully poured herself a cup. “You said everything went well, though?"

“What? Oh, yes. They did what they needed to do and got out.” Ksenia stifled another yawn. “They asked me to meet them afterward, and I did, but I was so tired-” Now that’s a bald-faced lie, she thought to herself, “that I left once I saw everyone had succeeded.” She took a large swallow of her tea, feeling its warmth help to wake her up. “At least now we can get to something that isn’t on a ridiculously short timeline,” she said, a little more awake.

“Indeed. In light of our recent endeavors, perhaps more discussion on pattern fitting and adjustments would be prudent,” Mr. O’Dell said, setting his cup on the table where the teapot sat. “We can also touch on drafting patterns for specific clients and situations.”

Ksenia cracked her neck and shrugged, releasing the knots. “I defer to your experience then,” she replied, shooting him a sideways smile. “What should we start with first?”
Word count: 241
Ksenia
Character
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c

Post by Ksenia »

challenge roll: To view this content, you must log in.  ]
While eating lunch, Ksenia offered to find a leatherworker for the new armor Artemis needed. It was her day off, she had the time, and she wanted to feel useful. Artemis gave a few quick points for looking for leatherworkers - mostly look for small and ornate work. Ksenia slid out from the table and stood. “Well, I’ll go look around. I’ll plan on meeting you back here, I guess when the sun touches the top of the lighthouse?” Ksenia stretched her shoulders, rolling them forward and backward before heading into the bazaar.

Ksenia tried to weave through the crowds as she moved down the rows of the stalls closest to where they’d eaten. There were stalls with herbs, tables of food, youngsters calling out for their families and masters, and shaded areas holding birds and small animals in cages. One stall caught her eye; a younger man stood behind the table with a wide array of leather objects on display. She sidled closer, wanting to inspect his wares without being mistaken for an actual customer.

There was a satchel there, with an intricately carved top flap that had been carefully dyed in a few areas. The ends held small loops of a size to carry vials or a pen, and she could see that it had been neatly stitched. “Interested?” The man said. Ksenia started slightly; she’d been facing the sun and hadn’t seen him approach.

“Might be. I got a friend looking for some things,” she said, scanning the table. There were also belts, an archer’s armguard, and boot-toppers in varying degrees of intricacy. “About how much would this run?” she asked, pointing to a belt with loops along its length.

“About 30 copper,” he responded. “Have your friend come see me, and if they buy a few things I might work ‘em a deal.” He held out his hand. “Gavin’s my name.”

“Ksenia,” she said, reaching for his hand. “You’ll be here a while?”

“Until the bazaar closes,” he responded. He had a friendly face, with red hair and a hint of a beard. “Finishing up an apprenticeship, so I’m hoping I can find a slightly more permanent spot in the future.”

“I’ll be sure to send my friend over as soon as I can,” she said. “Thank you.” She smiled and turned away. As she moved further into the bazaar, the orderly rows devolved into clumps; people crowded around a pen to watch birds fighting and she heard bets being made before a loud cheer erupted. Sidestepping the group, she moved on.

The next cluster of stalls contained a leatherworker, and she moved in to take a look. “Ooh, ladies and leather! My favorite things!” The stall worker gave her an overlarge grin and rubbed his hands together. Ksenia tried to ignore him as she looked over his offerings. Decent belts, plain but sturdy armguards, nice purses, and a satchel that looked very well crafted. She lifted the edge of the satchel’s top flap to inspect the inside. The man put his hand on top of hers, pressing it down for an instant before flipping the flap up. “I only use the best leathers, as you can see,” he said. “This isn’t my whole stock either.”

“Oh?” Ksenia asked. The man was giving her a slightly slimy sensation, but if he was able to do what Artemis needed, it’d be worth the aggravation. He pulled a shallow bin from behind the table. In it were braided whips, thick wrist cuffs, and - was that a gag?! Ksenia’s eyes widened.

The man chuckled indulgently, a damp and gutteral sound. “See something you like?”

“No. Good day.” Ksenia turned on her heel and moved quickly into the crowd. Surreptitiously, she brushed off her sleeves as though to wipe away the sensation of being around the man. The other leatherworkers she passed by were strictly utilitarian, save for one stall on the far edge of the bazaar. The groupings had eased back into more-or-less lines again, and the table almost failed to catch her attention. The wares had been neatly grouped, and the carving on several were rather nice. The leatherworker had an eye for detail, and his smaller additions looked sturdy, but they lacked something that Gavin’s had. Still, he looked more than competent. “I have a friend looking for some things,” she said. “I’ll send him over your way. What’s your name?”

“I’m Borin,” he said, with a lopsided smile. “I’ll be here til sundown.” His blond hair shone in the sunlight as he moved to the side of the table.

“Thanks!” She squinted at the lighthouse. “Best I head back. Good day to you,” she said as she began to head toward the side of the bazaar closest to where she’d eaten lunch.
Word count: 818
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis had settled into a corner table at the White Hart with an order of tea and ale before Ksenia arrived. He’d asked her to look for skilled leather workers and wasn’t expecting an immediate return, but it didn’t actually matter. Whatever the seamstress brought back information wise could be refined or improved upon for future work. When the half-elf ducked into the tavern he offered her a smile and waved to the empty seats around him.

“Some good news, I think,” Ksenia said, sliding into the seat opposite Artemis. “I’ve found two leather workers who might be able to do what you need.” Reaching across the table, she took the tea and drank thirstily. “The first one had lots of carved and detail work; his stall wasn’t far from where we ate lunch. His name’s Gavin. Said he was finishing his apprenticeship, so you might ask him if he’d be interested in the ware- er, East Hall, I guess.” She wrinkled her nose a bit at her slip up.

“Second fellow I found was not quite as good, but he still looked fairly competent for what you want. His stall was closer to the water, and his name was Borin.” Ksenia glanced up at him. “Both said they’d be there ‘til sundown, but I’d bet they’ll be back for the next market.” She sipped her tea for a minute, studying the carvings at their table.

Artemis lifted his mug of ale in a small toast to Ksenia. “I honestly wasn’t expecting much for results. It seems you’re having a streak of luck, fair seamstress,” he said before raising his mug to her and taking a long gulp. “Two possibilities, I wonder if either can work armor. If they need the practice maybe I can convince them to join the hall, get some skill and make the armor over time for rent,” he mused for several moments before nodding his head. “Would you mind accompanying me to see them again? I imagine your fair features helped butter them up and perhaps make more adventurous business choices,” he added giving her a grin and a wink.

“Artemis, don’t waste your flowery compliments on me,” Ksenia shot him a flat look. “If anything, all my ‘fair features’ got me was a lech showing me his collection of hobbles and gags.” She curled her lip in disgust at the thought. “I don’t mind going back over though; you might have trouble finding them in the disarray of the bazaar.” She drained her tea, setting it back on the tabletop. “Did you want to go now?”

“I don’t see why not,” he said taking another long draught of ale. “And whatever you might think you’ve a charm about you. Add onto that the hint of the exotic,” he tapped his ear between words. “You’ve got enough to put a man off his footing, and that’s important in deals and thievery. Trust me, I speak from a place of experience.” His smile was broad but not teasing as he moved to finish off his drink.

Ksenia snorted. “Exotic enough to get chased out of town, you mean.” She glanced over toward the bar. “And I’m well aware men do stupid things around women. I wouldn’t have had a roof over my head most of my childhood if they didn’t.” She smirked a little. “Also, you around Katarya - “ She waved her hand as if to indicate the absent witch - “would have taught me that!” She laughed a little, saying, “She is rather bewitching when she wants to be, I’d bet.”

“If you can laugh like that even once I bet I could get them to pay me for the pleasure of simply being in the shop across from yours,” he said giving her a wink. “And she does have a certain charm about her, especially the things she can do with her-” he let his words trail off and rose from the table. “Come on then, if we go now we can likely catch them just as they’re packing up and perhaps convince them to fight over your favor during a meal.”

Ksenia sighed. “Can we not? I don’t want to be used as a bargaining chip or being expected to dazzle them with my-” she glanced down at her chest- “ah, wits.”

“Fair, but I can’t promise I won’t sing your praises for your talents in the cloth. You do the skilled and confident craftswoman, I’ll play the overlucky businessman who doesn’t realize what he has. Let them think what they will, I promise you I’ll not encourage them overmuch,” he replied with another grin as he moved out of the White Hart and into the street.

Ksenia followed him out of the tavern. “I’m not that great - and it’s just…” she trailed off. “This is how things started, when my mother went on the hunt for a new man to leech off of. Puff him up with compliments, convince him to help her, and then she’d get to play at being a lady while I stayed with the servants.” She swallowed hard, her eyes on the ground. “I was her maid, she’d tell them, an orphan she’d taken in ‘out of the goodness of her heart’ from a friend or a relative. I wasn’t allowed to call her Mam unless we were completely alone.”

Artemis halted mid-step and his face screwed up in an expression Ksenia hadn’t seen before. It was a very cold and dark looking thing, something that glittered in his eyes and the twitch of his lips. An emotion he couldn’t hide that curled his fingers with the knuckles locked. “You are not a prize, an object, or a servant,” he hissed, not looking at her. “You are a friend, and one who has earned what she has more times than can be counted. Do not place me with the fools and failures who use people to toss them away.” And then he gave himself a quick shake and it was all gone. The easy smile and bright cheerfulness returned and he motioned her towards the western sky. “The sun doesn’t wait Friend Seamstress Ksenia,” he said with an exaggerated wink.

“I wasn’t - I mean, I didn’t mean to -” Ksenia stumbled over her words much like she did her feet. “You’re not like my mother and I’m sorry if you thought I was comparing you to her. It’s the whole ‘dinner and false compliments’ routine - that’s what felt similar. I’m sorry, Artemis. Please don’t be mad at me,” she said quietly, holding her arms tight to her sides. She hazarded a glance to his face as they walked on.

He shook his head slightly and took her into a quick hug before releasing her and stepping back. “I know you don’t like them, but you deserve more of those. I’m not mad at you, I’m mad at all the people that made you think that was a way to treat people,” he said before lightly patting her shoulder. “The young men will do dumb things on their own, but I’m not trying to steal from them, simply convince them to take a chance on an unproven freeman’s hall that still hasn’t passed inspection,” he said giving her a wane smile. He stood for a moment, not quite looking at her. “Now come on, if we catch them while they’re packing up they’ll be distracted and I can trick them into accepting a cheaper dinner for the chance to ogle you and wonder about your talents with fabric.”

“Well, I suppose dinner is still food, and I won’t complain about that.” She caught up to him, matching his quick pace. “And, well, being held, I don’t really know what to do? It’s not something I’m used to,” she said, somewhat apologetically. “Before Deb, well, you know Deb - it’s been...years, at least, since anyone held me like that, like a child. Or at least, not giving me a smack for being impertinent,” she said with a weak chuckle. “Anyway, maybe between the two of us, we can convince them to come to East Hall. They wouldn’t have to lug their wares to the bazaar every week, at least.”

The sun has begun to gild the Western Bazaar as Ksenia and Artemis came up on the maze of stalls. Ksenia shaded her eyes with her hand as she tried to gather her bearings. “Down here and left at the stall with the birds, I think,” she said, waving Artemis over. She slipped along the paths between stalls, taking a turn before stopping at a booth with a red-headed man. He coiled belts and bags to put into the crate sitting on the table; when he turned his head to wipe the sweat off, Ksenia waved and approached the stall. “Gavin, right? I came by earlier - this is the friend I mentioned,” she said, smiling and gesturing to Artemis.

Artemis sized the man up, noticing his well muscled arms and slightly boyish face hidden behind the faintest beginnings of a beard. “My associate told me you were skilled in the sort of talent I’m looking for. Do you have any experience with armor?” he asked giving the man a plain once over and raising a brow.

Gavin stood up straight, resting his hands on the side of the crate he was packing. “Armor? I’ve done a few bits that might work for that. Haven’t run into a lot of call for it, working with my master,” he said, digging through the crate.

Ksenia tilted her head. “What about that belt with the loops on it, the one you had up here? Or that armguard with the leaves carved into it?” She bit her lip and tapped it with the edge of her finger.

“Oh. Um, yeah, those,” Gavin said, slowly dragging his eyes away from Ksenia and rummaging through another crate on the ground. “These, right?” He held the two pieces up for inspection.

“Yes!” she shot him a beaming smile. “See how intricate the carvings are? He’s even got the veins in the leaves!” She traced her fingertip along the lines of the armguard, motioning for Artemis to look. “And the belt loops, they’re very neatly stitched, and they’re nice and smooth on the edges,” she said, pointing at the relevant areas. She turned to Artemis and gave him a wink with they eye facing away from Gavin. “If you could describe what you want, I bet Gavin could do it,” she said, turning her face toward the leather worker, who looked like he might be blushing - or it might have been the ruddy beams of the sunlight, Ksenia wasn’t sure.

Artemis watched Ksenia work something he was all too familiar with. If he could get her past the clear issues of her past she could be a terror at the negotiating table. He decided to put just a tad more pressure on her by recognizing her position to him. “These are exactly the sort of things I was looking for,” he said moving his hands over the detailwork she motioned to.

He looked up at the leatherworker and gave him a sheepish smile. “This is my friend, Seamstress, and craftmistress of my freeman’s hall. If you can impress her then you’ve got my interest,” he said offering the armguard back to Gavin. “Can I perhaps interest you in a meal and some discussion about commissioning some work then?” he said, looking to Ksenia for her approval.

Ksenia gave Artemis a slightly strained smile before turning back to Gavin with a brighter one. “Please, do. Come eat and we can talk more,” she said, tipping her head slightly to the side so that her hair barely brushed her cheek. “Standing around here, it won’t be easy to describe what he’s looking for.”

Gavin nodded, absentmindedly dropping the armguard into one of the crates. “Sure, I can do that. Um,” he snapped his focus back to the table in front of him. “Give me a few minutes to pack up? I won’t take long,” he said quickly.

“Oh, don’t worry, that’s fine! I want to go take a look at the lighthouse anyway. We’ll be back by in a few, okay?” Ksenia smiled at him. “Come with me, Artemis?” Artemis nodded, offered Gavin a wave and followed after Ksenia. He knew he was about to get a bit of ire, but he was still recovering from watching the half-elf let even a sliver of her charm out to tease the leatherworker.

She waited until they were out of earshot before saying, “Ugh. I feel disgusting. Thanks so much for just standing there and barely saying anything, by the way. Do I need to go bat my eyelashes at that other poor fellow too?” She brushed her arms off almost reflexively.

“You want me to tug down your dress a bit too? Hell I wasn’t expecting you to hit him with whatever that was you keep locked away. I was expecting to rely on your skills and the fact that you’re the head crafter, but if you want to play it with eyelashes and head tilts don’t let me stop you. Maybe back that off a bit, keep some mystery, let them wonder about your talents not you topless and see where that gets us,” he said giving her a squeeze of the arm and a slight bonk on the head.

Ksenia stopped dead. “Artemis Black. You are my friend, but I swear by all the idols if you ever say anything like that - saying I’d lay back for anyone and anything - I swear I….” She clenched her fists, her face red. “You have no idea, do you. You’d accuse me of - of -” She took a deep breath. “You wanted me to play this game, didn’t you, get them hooked? This is the only way I’ve seen this go. Flirt and charm and be completely disingenuous until your target hasn’t enough blood in his brain to think, then get them to agree to what you want and hope they’re too honorable to recant it in the morning.” She clenched her jaw. “After all, I’m not ‘head’ anything. I’m not even that skilled - O’Dell’s got miles on me!”

What is with the women I talk to stopping after the first sentence lately?” he asked her giving her a slight frown. “I don’t want you to tease and bed them. I’m looking for workers not cocks to keep around to bother you. You are my craftmistress of the hall, because you’re the one whose fingers made it even exist. I just wrote some ink on a page and get to pay others the pleasure of building while I sit on my thumbs.” He poked her solidly in the chest, using all the almost nothing of his slight frame. “Don’t just skip past all the other things you’ve done. You’re not whoever this whore is you think I’m trying to tempt you into. You’re a skilled seamstress whose working with the best man I know to become better. Now stop it or I swear I will bring Deborah to the next discussion and have her keep you over her knee like the spoiled child you seem to believe I see you as.”

Ksenia recoiled visibly, her face turned away. “I apologize, Mister Black. Perhaps you had best handle any further negotiations until I am able to ascertain the proper behavior for such,” she said quietly. “Clearly I have been mistaken.” She kept her eyes on the ground and walked forward. Ladies don’t, Ksenia. Ungrateful child. You little whore! Mam’s voice echoed in her head. Ksenia swallowed hard and bowed her shoulders a little.

Artemis stood looking at her like he’d been struck. “Kessy, I’m not good at this stuff. I grew up in a gutter trying not to get eaten by rats and fighting drunks for a scrap of bread. I’ve now done it more tonight than I expected for the week.” He reached out and took her by the shoulders gently, holding but not actually gripping. “I can’t fix whatever was done, all I can tell you is you’re not whatever the memories in your head say you are.” He leaned his head onto her shoulder softly. “I need your help still, you are my seamstress. I’m just a knife with more money than he knows how to keep. You come with me, we get this done, I promise I’ll give you whatever you want and leave you to it as long as I can.”

“All I’ve ever heard is how much I am like my mother,” Ksenia mused, staring into the distance. “That, and how I should be more grateful for what I have, such as it was. I did learn to sew a little, and read, which is useful, but,” she looked at Artemis, her eyes glassy. “I was so lonely. Why, if we’re friends, would you leave me? I mean, I figure I know that - I’m spoiled, like you said, and maybe I am what I’ve been told.”

Ksenia tried a half smile. “With Deb, at least I know I can offer something in return for her being around me. You’ve never asked me to sew anything for you, you’re not like Deb, and you got other help for all the paperwork, so I don’t have much else to offer there.” She shrugged, opening her hands in front of her. “I’m trying to help you with the leather workers, but I don’t really know how else to go about this, beyond the flirting and giggling sort of thing. I’m not trying to trade them sewing for food or anything, so I’m not sure what else I have to offer - the hall’s yours, after all.”

“I’m not going to abandon you. Gods I wish this was as easy as just getting you drunk and snuggling you until the sun came up. I can do that, but this is like me trying to wrap my head around what the bird wants when it comes around with poems,” he said scrubbing at this face before taking her hands in his and giving her a gentle tug. “You’ve got the fact that you get the final say on who can have the honor of paying us to have a roof. Be as free and kind with that as you will,” he said to her giving her hands a squeeze.

He didn’t know how to get through to her so he was just doing everything he could think he might appreciate. This involved a lot of gentle touching and being close. “Come on Kessy. We’ve got to go surprise the other bloke out of his mind with your mysterious talents so I can con one of them into accepting a completely not a scam workshop space in an unheard of freeman’s hall. Maybe I’ll convince them both while their eyes glaze over at a smart woman with talents being in charge of them.” He said, turning back the way they’d been walking and pulling her along with soft insistent tugs.

“Okay,” Ksenia said, following after him. “I’ll try to do better. Step in if you think I’m getting carried away, all right?” She worked her hand loose and put her hand on his shoulder. “I’m right behind you.”

He smiled at her over his shoulder and whistled softly, “{Friend. Welcome.}” Then he started walking waiting for her direction as he moved along the market stalls. “Keep an eye out and a hand ready, this is dangerous territory, for them,” he added without looking back.

She whistled back, “{Friend. Safe.}” Thinking, she said, “Might need to work on that a bit, yeah? Oh, left here,” she directed.

Artemis turned responding to her slight push on his shoulder far more than her words. His stride was confident and easy, making a path for her without having to force past anyone. “When we get there, let me know so you can let go lest they think something stupid,” he said as he finished his turn.

“Oh, I will. Not far now. About five more groups of stalls here,” Ksenia responded. She pointed at a stall near the edge of the bazaar. “Not quite as nice work as what’s-his- oh, Gavin, his work, but still very good. He’s Borin.”

The blond man was securing the straps on his crates as Ksenia stepped ahead of Artemis. “Hi Borin,” she said, giving him an almost shy smile. “I spoke to you earlier, about my friend who needed some work done? This is him - Artemis,” she said, gesturing for him to step forward.

Sunlight created a soft shine on the top of the man’s hair. “Good to meet you. What kind of work were you looking to have done?” He smiled at the man and then at Ksenia. “And it’s nice to see you again, Miss.” She gave him a soft smile and stepped back.

“Do you know armor work friend? I’m looking to have something made and my friend here says she saw some promise in your work,” Artemis said nodding towards the closed boxes. “Don’t feel the need to take them out, if she says you’ve got it and you think you can then I’d take her word over a thousand hours of work,” he added to hold off any annoyance at having to remove his just packed goods.

“I remember you had some nicely carved pieces and some fine detail work, which is important for what he wants,” Ksenia said. “If you have time, maybe you could come have dinner and Artemis can explain a little more what he wants?” She twisted her finger against her palm unconsciously. “We’ve invited someone else as well, but I don’t know if he’s the best fit for the job. Also, Artemis is working to create a freeman’s hall with spaces for crafters to work and sell from. If you’re interested, he can tell you more about that, too.” She gave him a small smile, tilting her head back slightly to meet his eyes. “I hope you’re able to eat with us.”

“That I could. Let me get these secured, and I’ll join you for a bite,” he said. “I’ve a friend that will let me leave these in his back room. Where should I meet you?”

“Do you know that area, over to the east, where there’s all the tables and the food stalls set up? Head that way, and we’ll meet you just before you’d come to the tables,” Ksenia suggested. “I’ll look for you.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Borin said, giving her a smile. He nodded his head at the boxes. “Best I take care of these now then.”

Ksenia waved and led Artemis off. “Better?” she asked quietly.

Instead of answering Artemis simply hugged her to his side briefly and whistled again, “{Friend.}”

She squeaked slightly, surprised, and furrowed her brow. “Sounds like ‘friend’?” Ksenia glanced up at him. “I hope you’ve got an idea for where we’re going to eat. I don’t think the Flagon’s Wagon is going to cut it tonight.” He just nodded to her and started back to where they’d left Gavin to pack his goods.

When they were well out of hearing he gave her a smile. “You did well, I think you’ll be a terror regardless and maybe one day you can wield that charm of yours without all the extra pain. You certainly don’t need it though. You’ve got a mind for detail and a man with knives behind you. Only great things, terrible or wondrous, await,” he said as he continued to lead her through the slowly shrinking crowds. Soon the evening shoppers would arrive, seeking the less public trades and exchanges.

Ksenia rolled her eyes at him, smiling, and followed.
Word count: 4138