Mila's First Outing (Completed)

Mila tried to get some money to feed her dying human father

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c
Race: Human
Class: Rogue

Re: Mila's First Outing

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis hadn't missed the snort when he'd called her beautiful. 'Starting to paint a dangerous picture,' he thought to himself as he agreed the knowledge to his list. 'Smart, willful, men's clothes, and doesn't appreciate compliments for her looks, at least not from men. She must be a terror on the prowl.' he considered as he followed Mila across the rooftops. She was at least somewhat talkative. Like a very skilled student always checking in.

When she started asking questions he shifted his bundle and raised an eyebrow. "She is, and there's plenty around. Dangerous bastards because they're always in hiding. I'd appreciate you not spreading her talents, even if she's being a bit free with the knowledge," he said as he hopped over a bundle of roof tiles set out for replacement.

"It's say it's definitely more than just fucking. Feels like sunshine in my chest when I look at her, so whatever that is," he said with a faint dreaminess to his voice that could have been some exertion. "You're lucky you caught her playing nice. She can be rather cold. Earns her name, Frost, with the mantle she's devised to protect herself," he added.

He slowed his pace and gave a sharp short whistle of birdsong. {Slow.} He wanted to see what she did so he added nothing else. They were close to the warehouse so regardless of how she reacted he'd come to a stop soon. When she slowed he grinned and sang out more commands. {Stop. Look. Down. Right. Three. Point.}

He laughed softly when she correctly indicated the warehouse. "I've missed that. Warehouse is the goal, the west side of the roof is an entry. Hop down and move to the side, floor it's bad so don't stray." He followed close behind her as she led the way into the dark building. "Walk straight, go to the left of anything that blocks you touching the floor. Take the stairs slow," he said following the same route himself.

When they reached the large barrel he fiddled with the hidden lever before the door slid open silently. He was pleased the oil seemed to be working. He moved down the stairs and pointed to the closed door at the bottom. "My place, we'll come back in a bit." He then pointed at the metal jail door blocking the hallway. "Velvet Goose. Seedy Tavern. Former colleagues, some associates still. Let's go meet Kessy," he said as he quickly popped the lock on the door and led Mila to meet the seamstress.
Word count: 426
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human and Kerasoka

Post by Mila Glade »

As he talked of Katarya and the sunshine in his chest, Mila shook her head. "Love is for the foolish. She declared. "Makes you so stupid things, say stupid things. It makes you take your eyes off the real goals in life. Mainly coin." She grinned.

As he whistled, she whistled herself. {No, Fast} and then laughed.

Mila followed his instructions and went through the warehouse (if he was going to kill her anywhere, here and now would probably be it!) And then followed him through through a locked door. He had no idea who 'Kessy' was, but so far Kat had been nice, despite no being able to help her pa (though she couldn't blame her for that), so maybe all of Artemis's friends were similar. She hoped so.

The thought of her pa, threatened to break her, but she took a steadying breath, promising the tears that they could run freely when she was alone. She was grateful Artemis was not fawning over her, checking up on her. If he did, she didn't think she would be able to keep herself from breaking down at the whole thing.
Word count: 190
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis chuckled at Mila’s harsh words for love. “I can’t particularly disagree. Hell in the first week I died over it. Figure I should at least get some good mileage from things after that. As for real goals, I’ve got a gold piece and a plan, how about you?” he offered the question with a grin.

He was largely silent as their boots echoed down the stone hallway beneath the city. There wasn’t anything he could think of to add, and he figured she had enough of her own thoughts to keep busy with. He just hoped he could get her settled a bit before the cracks got too big. People always broke eventually, better to do it somewhere mildly safe.

They moved through the backdoor of the Velvet Goose’s kitchen with a wave at the staff. He headed straight upstairs and toward Ksenia’s storeroom. He’d need to talk to her about moving out before the end of the next week. Maybe get the money together and pay a crew to clean up the warehouse. Then finish the forgeries and get some tradesmen in to tear down the upstairs and start on the bottom floor.

When he reached Ksenia’s room he knocked sharply and spoke into the door, “Need a quick stitch on something, and to introduce you to a friend.” His voice wasn’t loud, but he knew it would carry through the wood well enough.
Word count: 245
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

Ksenia had just slipped the red top over her head when she heard the knock and Artemis’s voice. She opened the door. “Good to see you, Artemis, and who’s this?” Artemis explained about the girl, introducing her as Mila.

“You said you need something sewn. Is it very quick, or can it wait until tomorrow?” At Artemis’s raised eyebrow, she continued, “It’s Deb’s night. My turn.”

Artemis handed over the mattress form. Ksenia spread it out. “I see. It’s just the one good tear there. For a quick fix...you’ll want to put this side down or you’ll feel it. You may as well come in a minute, unless you’d like to explain to Deb why I’ll be running late.” She collected some needles and thread and hopped up on her table to lay the form in her lap.

“I don’t suppose you saw another one of these? Time’s getting short, and I know I won’t be in this room much longer.” She bit her lip slightly, tugging at the thread thoughtfully. “Not to pry, but have you started moving things around... in the warehouse?” As she stitched the rent with small precise stitches, Ksenia mumbled, “I really should go over to the Maiden and start looking for blankets and things.”
Word count: 224
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis gave Ksenia a glance up and down when he caught the dress she was in. “This is Mila, also a halfsie, and a friend I picked up today. She tried to touch my rocks," he said, winking at Ksenia's perplexed expression. "Found out she's having a rough time of it, quick learner though,” he said, motioning his head at the thief. When Ksenia explained why she was in a rush he winced. “Ah, yeah I’m definitely not going to get in front of Bitey on your night. Just a quick patch on this and we’re out of your hair.”

When she asked about his findings at the Maiden he shrugged. “Most of the others looked like they’d need some more attentions, but I imagine you could make something work right quick. I haven’t touched things in yet otherwise, but was definitely thinking it was time. I’ll need your help maybe with some of that, but not tonight.” He wiggled his bundle of fabric at her when she mentioned blankets, “I found a few, all clean enough and no bugs. Could probably make a run of it again, you have a keener eye for these than I do,” he said to her with a small smile.

While she worked away he looked to Mila. “This is Ksenia, our resident seamstress and the reason for much of my success. Please do treat her kindly. I’m not going to take you to meet Bitey, I’m concerned she’d start a collection. Perhaps tomorrow when she’s had her fill,” he said with a smile for the thief.

“Once she’s finished, we’ll head back. Get some things spread out and figure out the sleeping bit. I think I have some cognac as well, might help take the edge off a bit,” he offered, tapping his feet to burn nervous energy. He did not want to be standing there if Deborah came looking for her dinner.
Word count: 331
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Mila Glade »

Mila nodded her head to Ksenia. "Namárië, Ksenia." She gave a quick flick of her eyes when he had called her (and Ksenia) halfsie's. Not the most endearing of titles.

"Thank you for your help." She said. "It's a relief to know I am not the only half-elf in the city." She emphasised the term, glancing at Artemis. The young girl cocked her head. "Do I want to know who or what 'Bitey' is? A name like that don't lend itself to anything friendly."

In Ajteire, mixed-race folk weren't exactly common, but they weren't treated much differently from anyone else. It seemed different here though; she had even been referred to as 'half-breed', which left a bitter taste in her mouth.
Word count: 122
Ksenia
Character
Craftmistress for Black's at East Hall. Journeyman seamstress for hire
Level
24 / 24 HP
18 / 18 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 40c
Class: Alchemist

Post by Ksenia »

“Oh, that's...hello, right? I really don't know any elvish beyond what little I've asked of Katarya. I had a human mother who raised me. No father around.” Ksenia furrowed her brow. “There are other half elves in the city, but there's definitely some prejudice against elves and half elves. I've run into it on occasion in the West district.”

At Artemis's quip about ‘Bitey’, Ksenia stuck her tongue out at him. “Don’t be rude. Deb probably still considers you one of her pets, and it's not like she can help what she is.” Ksenia shoved the needle through a tricky spot. “It's almost as rude as when people call me pointy ears!”

Artemis described what he’d found at the shop, and Ksenia nodded. “I’ll make a trip over tomorrow. I have some things I want to look for, anyway.” She twisted her mouth into a half-grin. “Besides, it’s almost winter and the festival is coming up.” She clipped the thread on the finished seam. “There you go. Save me a nip of that cognac, would you? I haven’t tasted any in years.”

There was a knock on the door. “Ksenia?” Ksenia scrambled up to answer the door.

“Sorry I’m running late, Arty needed a quick patch job done,” she called as she opened the door to Deb. Ksenia embraced the taller (and much bustier) woman before turning to Artemis and Mila. “I need to lock up, but come by tomorrow if you need anything, okay?” She watched as the two came out of the room and quickly locked the door. Deb slipped her arm around Ksenia and half-guided, half-dragged the woman around the corner to her room.
Word count: 284
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

Artemis winced when Mila put a particular emphasis on the word half-elf. ‘Got that wrong I take it,’ he thought, but kept his mouth shut. He held up his hands in surrender when Ksenia chastised him for his moniker for Deborah. “I meant it more for how she liked to be treated, but fair enough,” he said, giving the woman a knowing smile. “As for drink, I can only promise a nip. The stuff cost me a life in the end, so I’m keeping it for sentimental reasons.”

When Deborah dragged Ksenia off for an evening Artemis turned to Mila. “That’s Deborah, or-” he tapped his canine and winked. “Don’t get on her bad side, I’d like to keep your fluids inside you, where they can do some good for us.” He turned and made his way back down the hall, curling the mattress form into a tight ball among the other fabric. “Onward to the next wonderful disappointment,” he said over his shoulder as he moved down the stairs.

He didn’t try to start any conversation while the made their way back down the hidden stone passage. When they had passed through the metal bars again he turned and sealed them, placing a blocking bar over the keyhole and hooking a chain to a loop in the ground. Someone would need to dislodged several feet of bar to bypass the door, or have particular talent in lockpicking and be on his side of the door. That route secure, he turned and pushed open the door to his room. The place was pitch black, but he quickly lit the small lamp on the wall.

Not much had improved in Artemis’ room over the past weeks. There was still a haphazard collection of boxes in one corner, several items sticking out of them. The wall near the door still had its two heavy chairs and misshapen table. The remaining corner was still piled with straw, though it was fresher than usual, and a terribly scratchy blanket.

“Welcome to my home, such as it is,” he said as he moved into the room and dropped the pile of fabric onto the table. He immediately unrolled the mattress form and began to fill it with the straw from the floor. He waved a handful of the material at Mila as he worked. “Feel free to help, or sit, or whatever. Figure we can separate the blankets if you feel the need. I promise I’ll not do anything. I don’t go in for the whole ‘No means otherwise’ thing too much and you’ve been clear,” he said, stuffing the straw into the form. He chuckled and added, “Though if you let me, I will give you a good friendly snuggle. Nothing like warmth to make the bitter chill of winter less miserable.”
Word count: 476
Mila Glade
Character
Half Elf
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Mila Glade »

MIla's eyes widened as she realised what this Deb person was: a Korcai. She had never encountered one of them before, and she wasn't overly keen on breaking that trend, so she kept quiet.

When Artemis decided it was time for them to go 'home', Mila followed along. "Thank you."

The 'vault' was wondrous to her eyes. It was definitely an upgrade from sleeping on the road, and even better than that horrible little hut they had called home in the slums. As Artemis began to work, Mila immediately began to help. "I intend to pull my weight." She said, and grabbed the other end to help get into place.

At his words of comfort, Mila felt her throat tighten, and then the tears came. At first she acted as if they weren't happening, as if they weren't coursing down her face. She wiped them away angrily at first, but soon she had no power over them. Without warning, the young half-elf near threw herself into Artemis's arms. It seemed her pride wasn't as strong as she made out, and she wept. "Poor pa. How many other people I love will I see die because I am destined to live them out?" She felt grateful for him.

Though she had no romantic feelings for him (or any other man), she accepted his offer, and with her head over his shoulder as they hugged, she gave a quick nod of her head. "Yes, that would be nice."
Word count: 246
Artemis Black
Character
Black of the Night
Level
48 / 48 HP
36 / 36 MP
0p / 0g / 1s / 25c

Post by Artemis Black »

He was surprised when she jumped to immediately help with the stuffing, but realized it wasn’t really that strange. Idle hands could only think, and he imagined Mila had too much to think about. Then he caught her falling apart and she hugged him. He stroked her back slowly, all to familiar with this particular song and dance. Though it often happened on a day later than the first.

“I couldn’t say, I’m one myself I imagine. Doesn’t take away all the time you had,” he offered, giving her a gentle squeeze and returning to lightly stroking her back. “When you feel you’re ready I can give you a nip of the good stuff. We’ll finish stuffing this up, and then get snuggled in. Normally I’d promise it’ll be the best night of your life, but I’d hope things would go up from here,” he said with a wane boyish smile.

The mattress was stuffed, possibly more than necessary, and the bottle of cognac was open. The two sat on the mattress, holding their first taste of the liquor in hand. “To better days, be they be our hand or by our fate may Kaxitaki roll in our favor,” Artemis said as he lifted his small cup to Mila and tossed back the drink. It was strong, flavorful, and smooth. Everything you could want in a mind-bogglingly expensive drink.
Word count: 238