Underworld [Open]

Fellsgard is the foundation of Khy'eras' history and through reconstruction, it is now a vibrant and lively city. People reside here due to mild climate, opportunities, and safety and stability. Adventures often start from Fellsgard. Read more...
Seian Verian
Character
Dragonsoul Wizard
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Human
Class: Druid and Wizard

Underworld [Open]

Post by Seian Verian »

Seian sat in the midst of the inn's crowded barroom, nursing his drink as he waited for the person he was looking for to show up.

He didn't know much about this person, not even their name. Malik had just said that Seian should talk to them, and would arrange a meeting.

He'd been warned that going to Ajteire would be safer, that he could probably find someone to learn more about magic there. But Malik didn't know anyone in Ajteire, and Seian had wanted to use his master's contacts as a starting point... Besides, it was those who lived in the shadows who were most likely to know secrets, or so Seian thought.

In truth, Seian wanted to stay in Fellsgard, for at least a little while. Though he'd always hated it, growing up, hated having to hide what he knew, what he was capable of, it was familiar, and it was the city that his father had loved. It didn't make sense that he'd want to stay, really, and he was ambivalent about it, but there was something that told him he should dig a little deeper here, and not just run away.

So for now, he was in this tavern. And while he waited, he was thinking about interesting things.

Specifically, he was thinking about Bhelest.

Everyone knew about Bhelest. Bringer of magic, and bringer of war and death, and many thought those were the same thing.

Seian, however, saw more than a cautionary tale in the story of the conquerer. He saw a story of hope, an inspiring hint at what might be truly possible with magic.

It was true that what Bhelest had actually done was terrible. He'd sown discord and misery throughout the entire world, he'd brought it to its knees and, perhaps, might have destroyed it if given the chance. It was hard to say what his aim had been, once he'd conquered everything, or even if he'd had a real aim. It was hard to imagine what goal he could have had that wouldn't have been widely considered mad even if it was understood.

At the same time, though, it was a glimpse at what was possible, truly possible with magic. The eidolons had did incredible things, had great powers, created their world and life itself from hardly anything at all. And then Bhelest had been powerful enough to seal them, to take their power and use it.

What could another mage do? Were there any real limits at all?

One more conservative, more concerned with the terrifying possibilities than the encouraging ones, would certainly say that such was very much a reason to try to wipe magic from the world. That it was too dangerous, couldn't be allowed to exist. Most of the people of Fellsgard felt this way.

Seian though, couldn't help thinking of the amazing things that could be done. If someone could become a god in their own right, could they eliminate hunger? Disease? Bring an end to death, and any need for it? What if every man could become the ruler of his own existence, with the ability to fulfill any dream imaginable, and then expand their imagination and create more dreams?

What if what Bhelest did, what if what the eidolons themselves had done, were the merest glimmers of what magic was truly capable of?

This was why he sought the secrets of magic. And he wouldn't rest until he was dead, or had overcome death.

For now though, he hoped the person he'd come to meet would actually show up.
Word count: 595
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c
Race: Kerasoka
Class: Bard

Re: Underworld [Open]

Post by Raen Silver »

The White Hart was beginning to get busy, and so Raen was expected to do his job. He wasn't there just to sing! Aurae had not brought him in just to give some pretty songs, but he was to mingle, to network, to be her ears amongst the crowd.

And so, it was with some delight to him that he found an actual Human sat among the other Elves, all of whom were giving Seian distrustful looks.

The bard decided he should intervene, and so as he made his way over, his clear voice carried out in song in Kersoka elvish:

Dullá lle eyes lle gor gorath!
Ri' Raen i' Lindar oew sina mereth!

{translation} To view this content, you must log in.  ]

Taking a seat opposite the Human, the handsome young Elf have his most brightest of smiles. "Vedui', master human! Pay no heed to these small minded folk! You are most welcome here at I'l Fana Kelbé, the most wondrous of establishments, and the best placed to get nobly hammered within ... and with the best of company, if I do say so myself." The elf winked. "But I have to ask, for my soul is ever curious; why doth a man with such a handsome face ruin it so with a frown so deep? What is being conjured in your mortal mind, that would lend itself to such a facade?"

The elf put his feet up on the table, motioning to one of the serving staff. "Fion ten' amin!" {Translation} "Wine for us! The best, too!". Then while he waited he turned back to the young man, and cocked his head. "Well?"[/color}
Word count: 267

"There is no greater gift than that of verse well given."
Seian Verian
Character
Dragonsoul Wizard
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Seian Verian »

Seian couldn't help but be aware of how out of place he was here. He was the only human in a room full of elves, a reversal of what an elf would often face in the rest of the city. It was obvious that he was viewed as an intruder, unwelcome and not to be trusted. He didn't know why Malik had arranged for him to meet his contact in such a place- It seemed ill-chosen... Unless, perhaps, he was supposed to be noted as being seen with this other person? But why would that be desirable?

He was surprised, when a handsome young elf approached him, and interrupted his thoughts.

He couldn't help but smile a bit, despite himself, at the elf's comments.

"Well..." Seian said, "I'm just... I'm supposed to meet someone here. A friend of a friend, though I don't really know them. I'm not sure why I'm here, and not somewhere else. I don't really want to intrude on anyone else, you know?"
Word count: 167
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

"Intrude?" The Elf gave a bright smile. "How could anyone with such a burning heart and smouldering eyes ever 'intrude'? This will not do!" He sat back a moment as one of the servers brought a bottle of wine and two cups. Raen poured them both a very liberal amount, their cups brimming with the sweet elven wine. He raised his cup. "To you, and damnation on anyone who doubts you!" He took a long drink, then set his cup back on the table.

"So a friend, you say? Is this a romantic friend? Are you, perchance, in for a night of unbridled lust and pleasure? Oh I do hope so! Though I would be telling no truths if I were to say I wasn't a little envious!" He held out his hand across the table, his chin lifted, as if he were some highborn Elven noble. "Raen the Bard, singer and swooner of the White Hart inn, at your service."

The elf lounged back in his seat. His handsome features seemed always to be set in a smile, as if something was constantly amusing him. Perhaps it was himself. "Perhaps if you told me more, I could help you, master Salquë?"
Word count: 202

Seian Verian
Character
Dragonsoul Wizard
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Seian Verian »

Despite everything he'd just been worried about, Seian laughed, taken aback by the elf's friendliness. Smouldering eyes? That was more than your average playful banter, that was blatant flirtation. It was odd, but it was also refreshing, in a way. Seian wondered if the man treated everyone that way, and if so, what that meant. He wasn't so naive as to be washed away in it, but he enjoyed it nevertheless.

Seian raised his cup when the elf did, and drank as well. He didn't expect to be drugged, though he did wonder if he'd be expected to pay for this wine. If so, he'd simply have to swallow the cost.

"Not a romantic friend, no. My last romantic friend, I left in the jungles of Ninraih. I hope he's doing well."

When Raen introduced himself, Seian smiled.

"My name is Seian. My profession... I'm a seeker of secrets, though what sort is a mystery in itself."

At Raen's light inquiry into his business, Seian hesitated.

"Well... The person I am to meet is someone my mentor knows. I'm seeking information on a specific subject... Not the sort of thing I'd want to involve strangers in. Some things are best left to those one trusts, or those in similar circumstances. Unfortunately, I don't know who I'm meeting. As far as I know, it could be you."
Word count: 226
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

Raen inclined his head respectfully. "It is with the greatest pleasure I meet you, Salquë Seian. To your happiness, and may you find what you are looking for."

The young elf listened as Seian spoke, nodding here and there. When he had concluded, the bard leaned forward, motioning for Seian to do the same. "At the Kelbé, there are more secrets than there are patrons! Perhaps you need some assistance? Perhaps a helpful - and handsome - elven bard might be just what you need." He gave the young man a wink. "There is little that goes on in this tavern that a bard does not hear about. People love to talk to a bard in the hopes that their tale is worthy of a song! Alas, but it is not always so, some people are frightful bores!" He pulled a face, but then his smile returned as he looked Seian right in the eye. "I somehow doubt very much that you will be tedious. I rather think you would be a most intriguing human to get to know! And if it's secrets you're after ... well, now! What can I say?! We have contracts for people who work with that which is forbidden in this forsaken city ... and we have our very own witch! She lives right down the hall from me. A heart as cold as ice, but a mind just ask keen."

Raen put his feet back on the table. "Perhaps if your friend shows not his or her face, then Raen the Bard may be of some use to you.I could help you with these 'secrets'? I could introduce you to the right folk? I may even warm your bed on cold and lonely nights! He laughed at that. "Whatever you need, Seian the Salquë, I am at your disposal."
Word count: 304

Seian Verian
Character
Dragonsoul Wizard
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Seian Verian »

Seian leaned forward as Raen motioned for him to, and listened intently.

When Raen mentioned the contracts, and the witch, his eyes widened, and he visibly took attention- It seemed his meaning had gone through quite well, though he'd said nothing incriminating for himself. What was being said was promising.

"Well, beds do get cold sometimes..." Seian said, in response to Raen's comments. "But, hm, I think I recognize that word... Salquë... It means 'other', doesn't it? I'm not an expert on Elvish, but I know a bit about linguistics, so I know a smattering of words. I suppose I haven't earned anything more than that... Hopefully I can give you more than just a pretty face to talk about, hm?"

He laughed, and then grew serious again.

"I'd be interested in learning more about those contracts, or meeting that witch you speak of. If you know anything else that might be helpful, I'd be grateful to hear it, though I have no right to expect more from you."

He wondered if he'd perhaps been sent here to meet the witch that was mentioned. Or if Raen himself was the contact. It was getting late enough that assuming the contact wasn't coming wouldn't be unreasonable, at this point, so he'd be willing to take what he could get at this point.

"I doubt my contact is going to show, at this point." Seian admitted. "It's half an hour past the time we were supposed to meet. I can't imagine they didn't recognize me from description."
Word count: 255
Raen Silver
Character
Almá/Bard
Level
24 / 24 HP
17 / 17 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Raen Silver »

Raen gave an easy smile and sat back in his chair. "Maybe the divines have willed it so that you are exactly where you need to be. As I am sure you know, or learned one; Kerasoka do not use magic, so perhaps the witch might be of service." He flagged down one of the servers. "Would you see if Almá Katarya is free? I have a handsome young man she might find of interest."

As the girl assented and moved off, Raen grinned. "You'll simply adore her. She is quite the beauty! Though I warn you to be hesitant with the compliments ... she can be like snow falling from the very skies! Beautiful ... but should you spend too much time in it, you might just freeze to death. More wine!" He called.

Katarya emerged, stepping into the tavern with a look around. She was dressed almost completely in black, apart from a deep blue shawl across her shoulders, on one of which was perched a raven. When her eyes fell on Raen and Seian, she made her way over. She inclined her head to Seian, and then looked to Raen. "What do you want, Raen?"

Raen nudged Seian. "What did I tell you? This is Seian, Almá Katarya. He's an aspiring mage, and wanted to make some contacts in the city. I thought perhaps you might be of use to one another!" He then sat back in his seat, as if watching a show. Which he was.

Katarya's eyes turned to Seian, regarding him a moment. "What do you require of me?" She asked, outright, without introductions or greetings. The raven on her shoulder let out a quiet chatter, as if amused.
Word count: 283

Seian Verian
Character
Dragonsoul Wizard
Level
24 / 24 HP
20 / 20 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 50c

Post by Seian Verian »

Seian nodded at Raen's warning about the witch, and would idly chatter with the elf about anything Raen so wished, while waiting for the witch to emerge.

When she did, and she addressed him, he didn't quite look her straight in the eye, though he did remain looking at her face. He often did this unconsciously, but he also wasn't sure what sort of demeanor she would expect or wish of him.

"As Raen has indicated, I am a mage who aspires to greater knowledge. I am seeking those who can help me in my path of learning. I would ask to learn more about the workings of magic, if not from you then from others you know who may have knowledge. I will gladly do service in return- I have some ability in a variety of magical disciplines, though I have mastered none, and I am a scholar and a writer of stories, if you have need of either."

He had no idea what she would think of his request. He hoped she would be at least somewhat agreeable, though from Raen's description he wouldn't think "agreeable" was a word that usually applied to her.
Word count: 196
Katarya Frost
Character
Witch
Level
46 / 46 HP
40 / 40 MP
0p / 0g / 0s / 35c
Class: Wizard

Post by Katarya Frost »

Katarya looked at the young man for a moment, her cold eyes assessing him. At last she spoke: "I'm not sure what good I would be to you. I'm a witch, not a mage. I deal with enchantments and charms, not your kind of magic. Besides we're both of the same age; you need an elder to teach you. What, by Ny'tha, made you choose Fellsguard? Even saying to me what you said on the streets would see you vanish and never return!"

Raen nudged the young mage. "I told you she was frosty." He grinned.
Word count: 96

"Now is the Time, now is Hour, mine is the Magic, mine is the Power"